GPL source code for Android 3.2 available in AOSP

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 12, 2011, 11:33:04 AM7/12/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
As usual, and just like we had done before for Android 3.0 and 3.1,
the source code for the GPL and LGPL components of Android 3.2 is
available in the Android Open-Source Project, under the tag
android-3.2_r1

The process to build it is the same as what we had for 3.0 and 3.1:

# start from a master client
repo init -m 3.2-base.xml
repo sync
repo forall -c git checkout android-3.2_r1

# build with the regular process

# to come back to a plain master
repo init -m default.xml
repo sync

The caveats are unchanged since 3.1:
-the checkout command will return an error message because the tag
doesn't exist in all projects, ignore it.
-the compiled isn't any more likely to work on actual hardware as 3.1
did, since the same binary incompatibilities are still there.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Фьодор

Jul 12, 2011, 11:45:34 AM7/12/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

2011/7/12 Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com>

 ~/bin/repo init -m 3.2-base.xml
fatal: manifest '3.2-base.xml' not available
fatal: manifest 3.2-base.xml not found

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 12, 2011, 11:47:44 AM7/12/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
You probably need to start from a synced master. I added 3.2-base.xml
yesterday afternoon (California time), so if you didn't sync since
then you don't have that file.

JBQ

Alexander

Jul 12, 2011, 12:10:36 PM7/12/11
to Android Building
~/bin/repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -
b master
Fetching projects: 100% (168/168), done

repo init -m 3.2-base.xml
fatal: manifest '3.2-base.xml' not available
fatal: manifest 3.2-base.xml not found

if
cd .repo/manifests

git checkout origin/master

ls
3.0-base.xml 3.1-base.xml 3.2-base.xml default.xml

but

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 12, 2011, 12:25:51 PM7/12/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
This is odd.

I'm syncing a clean client to try to reproduce.

In the meantime, I'm thinking there's a possibility that you're not
currently using a master client. Using git checkout in the manifests
project might not do what you expect. Please try repo init -b master
-m 3.2-base.xml in the hope that it fixes things for you.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 12, 2011, 1:47:45 PM7/12/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
My clean sync and build seemed to have no problem.

I went with repo init -u
git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b master -m
3.2-base.xml and it all went fine from there.

I'm still puzzled, and I'm out of ideas about how to help you further.

JBQ

Фьодор

Jul 12, 2011, 2:16:18 PM7/12/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

2011/7/12 Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com>

Thanks.Im init new repo and all's fine

mr.a

Jul 12, 2011, 11:40:37 PM7/12/11
to Android Building

Thanks for this "heads up," Sir.
I am yet to see this news
at http://source.android.com.

On Jul 13, 2:16 am, Фьодор <nobodyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/7/12 Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com>
>

> > My clean sync and build seemed to have no problem.
>
> > I went with repo init -u
> > git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b master -m
> > 3.2-base.xml and it all went fine from there.
>
> > I'm still puzzled, and I'm out of ideas about how to help you further.
>
> > JBQ
>
> > On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com>
> > wrote:
> > > This is odd.
>
> > > I'm syncing a clean client to try to reproduce.
>
> > > In the meantime, I'm thinking there's a possibility that you're not
> > > currently using a master client. Using git checkout in the manifests
> > > project might not do what you expect. Please try repo init -b master
> > > -m 3.2-base.xml in the hope that it fixes things for you.
>
> > > JBQ

Vesper

Jul 22, 2011, 4:44:50 PM7/22/11
to Android Building
Hi Jean,
When I was runing repo forall -c git checkout android-3.2_r1, I got
huge errors like:
error: pathspec 'android-3.2_r1' did not match any file(s) known to
git.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Vesper

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 22, 2011, 5:11:02 PM7/22/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That's expected, because that tag doesn't exist in all projects, only
in the ones that contain GPL code. Ignore those errors. In the middle
of the list should be about a dozen successful checkouts.

Sorry for the confusion.
JBQ

Vesper

Jul 25, 2011, 7:09:50 PM7/25/11
to Android Building
Thanks Jean.

I followed all the steps in your post:
# start from a master client
repo init -m 3.2-base.xml
repo sync
repo forall -c git checkout android-3.2_r1
# build with the regular process
# to come back to a plain master
repo init -m default.xml
repo sync

but when I started to build the image " make usb_img
TARGET_PRODUCT=generic_x86" I got errors:
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=AOSP
PLATFORM_VERSION=3.1.4.1.5.9.2.6.5
TARGET_PRODUCT=generic_x86
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=eng
TARGET_SIMULATOR=
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=x86
TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT=x86-atom
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=OPENMASTER
find: `frameworks/base/frameworks/base/docs/html': No such file or
directory
find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
find: `frameworks/base/frameworks/base/docs/html': No such file or
directory
find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
find: `frameworks/base/frameworks/base/docs/html': No such file or
directory
find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
find: `frameworks/base/frameworks/base/docs/html': No such file or
directory
find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
find: `frameworks/base/frameworks/base/docs/html': No such file or
directory
find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `usb_img'. Stop.

the folder was clean and only for this project. Appreciate your help.
Thanks!

Regards,
Vepser

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 25, 2011, 7:16:14 PM7/25/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I have to admit I have no idea. I've never tried to build generic_x86
in that environment, and I'm not familiar with the usb_img target.

JBQ

Vesper

Jul 25, 2011, 9:43:54 PM7/25/11
to Android Building
I wanted to build x86 because i saw generic_x86 option in build/target/
board. ok....
What was the command you built for ARM image?
Can I provide one I can follow?

Thanks.
Regards,

Vesper

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 25, 2011, 9:52:14 PM7/25/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
For an emulator build (ARMv5):
source build/envsetup.sh
lunch full-eng
make

For a crespo build (ARMv7):
source build/envsetup.sh
lunch full_crespo-userdebug
make

JBQ

Vesper

Jul 27, 2011, 7:44:32 PM7/27/11
to Android Building
Hi Jean,
hope you are doing well. I actually was able to make the codes by
adding a buildspec.mk to build folder to specify x86. The after hours
of building, all the files are in out/target/product/generic_x86
folder. Now what do I do to make a bootable disk on my hard drive or
USB disk?

root@vesper-laptop:/home/android3.2/out/target/product/generic_x86# ls
-alh
total 98M
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4.0K 2011-07-27 11:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4.0K 2011-07-26 07:55 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7 2011-07-26 12:16 android-info.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.0K 2011-07-26 07:55 clean_steps.mk
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K 2011-07-26 08:14 data
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4.0K 2011-07-26 08:05 dex_bootjars
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K 2011-07-26 08:16 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16K 2011-07-26 12:16 installed-files.txt
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4.0K 2011-07-26 12:16 obj
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 60 2011-07-26 07:55 previous_build_config.mk
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 212K 2011-07-26 12:16 ramdisk.img
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4.0K 2011-07-27 11:08 root
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4.0K 2011-07-26 11:45 symbols
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4.0K 2011-07-26 11:25 system
-rw------- 1 root root 97M 2011-07-26 12:16 system.img
-rw------- 1 root root 2.1K 2011-07-26 12:16 userdata.img

Thank you for your help!

Vesper

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 29, 2011, 1:59:42 PM7/29/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I believe that this is primarily meant to be run in the emulator at
the moment, I don't know if it's runnable on actual hardware.

JBQ

Justin

Jul 28, 2011, 4:21:03 AM7/28/11
to Android Building
I build android 3.2 r1 for an emulator, just like JBQ said, and built
successfully.
After building, I type "emulator" command in my command line.
Emulator was popped up but there is no response and screen of emulator
was empty.
Besides, the dimension of emulator screen is HVGA not XWVGA and
emulator is always offline or disappearing from device list.
How can I start emulator and executed successfully after emulator
build?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 29, 2011, 2:06:02 PM7/29/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like a case of a mismatch between an ARMv7 kernel and an
ARMv5 emulator, i.e. the emulated system doesn't even start far enough
in the kernel to display the boot logo.

I don't know how to fix it, though.

JBQ

Loren Rogers

Aug 23, 2011, 8:06:13 AM8/23/11
to Android Building
Hi Jean-Baptiste,
I followed your directions for getting source and built 3.2 r1 with
full_crespo-userdebug for my Motorola Xoom. When I went to fastboot
flash onto my xoom I get a message saying device is xoom wifi and it
failed saying I need to add update 'herring' or something of the like.
Could you please give me some guidance?
Thanks!
/Loren

Joan Pujol

Oct 29, 2011, 7:42:27 PM10/29/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is there any easy way to browse that code on internet?
Or to download using git client?

I don't want to build, only be able at core sdk java code. With gingerbread I was able to download using git on git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/frameworks/base.git but it doesn't seems to work anymore.

A lot of thanks in advance,
---
Joan Pujol Espinar

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 31, 2011, 5:33:19 PM10/31/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
At the moment AOSP doesn't offer any way to view the source code in a
browser. You need to download it locally, or maybe find an unofficial
git mirror that has those files.

JBQ

Joan Pujol

Oct 31, 2011, 5:57:38 PM10/31/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've tried in github mirrors but I wasn't able to get the new code for java sdk core for 3.1. It seems to be the old because It hasn't new classes like PreferenceFragment

JBQ can you confirm that If I set up a linux machine, use the repo, at the end I will be able to get that part of code (android core java sdk), or this is one of the not published parts?

Cheers,

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 1, 2011, 4:44:02 PM11/1/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I confirm that this code hasn't been published.

JBQ

Joan Pujol

Nov 1, 2011, 4:55:09 PM11/1/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks JBQ.
And there's any important reason to don't publish that? Or an estimate that to publish that part?

I really think that for application developers that's the most important part of the code, because althouth there's a quite good level of samples and documentation sometimes it's very helpful to go to the source when the documentation it's not clear or you want to "hack" a little to bypass some limitations.

Cheers,

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 1, 2011, 5:32:55 PM11/1/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I understand. Such decisions (and discussions and communication about
them) is done much above my level, though.

JBQ

SandroB

Nov 5, 2011, 5:11:03 AM11/5/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
How come that external/libskia is never part of this GPL releases.
I presume that are some changes there because of gl rendering support in 3.x.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 7, 2011, 11:15:59 AM11/7/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
It's not GPL code.

That being said, the version of skia in AOSP master is quite ahead of
gingerbread and somewhat tracks honeycomb and upstream skia.

JBQ

SandroB

Nov 7, 2011, 2:03:18 PM11/7/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for answer.
I am trying to reuse external/webkit from 3.2 and webkit<->skia interaction is killing me :)
Maybe is time to more firmly look how it works.

I notice that there is also some progress on skia google code to make some examples for android.
http://code.google.com/p/skia/
But is not working yet.
http://code.google.com/p/skia/source/detail?r=2617

Thank you again. It is up to me to do some homework.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 7, 2011, 2:19:40 PM11/7/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
On the skia front, there's a reasonable chance that you'll be able to
use the one in the AOSP master branch without too many changes (at
least it's known to compile within the context of AOSP and to be able
to build webkit). You'll run into serious difficulties around other
functions, though, especially the ones related to using accelerated
graphics that were new in Honeycomb and that webkit uses.

At this point, it might make more sense to wait for IceCreamSandwich.

JBQ