Freshly built Gingerbread emulator black screen

DusteD

Nov 14, 2011, 9:55:22 AM11/14/11
to Android Building
When I build the aosp gingerbread branch and launch the emulator I get
a black screen, nothing more.
emulator -logcat *:v gives nothing either.
adb shows the emulator as offline:
List of devices attached
emulator-5554 offline

But after a while, adb do not show the emulator at all, I suspect I
have the same problem as this fellow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7997686/android-2-3-emulator-blank-screen-after-build/8123273#8123273

Steps I did:
mkdir gingerbread
cd
repo init -u url -b gingerbread
repo sync
. build/envsetup.sh
lunch
1
make -j 8
emulator -logcat *:v

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 12:46:14 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, that's a complex issue.

In a nutshell, even though we have both the dev tools and the platform
in the same source tree (they can't be built without one another), the
versions that are in a given source tree aren't always compatible.

The dev tools in the gingerbread branch are tools_r7, i.e. 8 versions
old, and they're not enough to run the latest gingerbread platform.

I believe that this might work, but since those are notes that I made
a long time ago these instructions might be obsolete as well:

repo forall sdk external/qemu -c git checkout aosp/tools_r12
# build, possibly a clean build
emulator -kernel prebuilt/android-arm/kernel/kernel-qemu-armv7

JBQ

> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

DusteD

Nov 15, 2011, 2:16:53 AM11/15/11
to Android Building
I see, thank you for your help, this worked for me.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 15, 2011, 12:09:53 PM11/15/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Glad to head that. I realize that this isn't an "easy" fix,
unfortunately we're juggling multiple requirements that are hard to
reconcile in a way that's transparent for everyone. Thanks for
understanding.

I should document that somewhere. I really need to create a "known
issues" section on source.android.com.

JBQ