ICS is coming to AOSP

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 4:59:26 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi! We just released a bit of code we thought this group might be interested in.
Over at our Android Open-Source Project git servers, the source code
for Android version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is now available.
Here's how to get it:Follow the instructions at
http://source.android.com/source/downloading.htmlCheck out the
'ics-release' branch:repo init -u
https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b android-4.0.1_r1
That's it! However since this is a large push, please be aware that it
will take some time to complete. If you sync before it's done, you'll
get an incomplete copy that you won't be able to use, so please wait
for us to give the all-clear before you sync.
This is actually the source code for version 4.0.1 of Android, which
is the specific version that will ship on the Galaxy Nexus, the first
Android 4.0 device. In the source tree, you will find a device build
target named "full_maguro" that you can use to build a system image
for Galaxy Nexus. Build configurations for other devices will come
later.
Unfortunately we still don't have our Gerrit code review servers back
online. That remains our top priority though, and we hope to have them
back soon.
This release includes the full history of the Android source code
tree, which naturally includes all the source code for the Honeycomb
releases. However, since Honeycomb was a little incomplete, we want
everyone to focus on Ice Cream Sandwich. So, we haven't created any
tags that correspond to the Honeycomb releases (even though the
changes are present in the history.)

JBQ, on behalf of the AOSP team.
--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Tim Bray

Nov 14, 2011, 5:01:42 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

I assume this means I can Tweet?

Carlos Silva

Nov 14, 2011, 5:04:07 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
YES! :)
Faster than I thought :)

Congrats on the team @ Google

fonix232

Nov 14, 2011, 5:10:03 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
JBQ, would it be possible to access some bits of Honeycomb?
I would be interested about the Movie Maker app, and the Launcher itself, as they seem to be removed or changed for the worse in ICS (I like the Honeycomb style tablet launcher more)

Anthony Domanico

Nov 14, 2011, 5:10:56 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Well, technically no, on account of twitter giving off the "fail whale" at the moment. but soon!

John McKenzie

Nov 14, 2011, 5:14:02 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Congrats guys, this should make a huge difference out there! Can't wait t see what happens next now that it's "out there"

John from landofdroid.com

Stefan

Nov 14, 2011, 5:13:58 PM11/14/11
to Android Building
yeahh, thanks a lot

On 14 Nov., 22:59, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Hi! We just released a bit of code we thought this group might be interested in.
> Over at our Android Open-Source Project git servers, the source code
> for Android version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is now available.
> Here's how to get it:Follow the instructions athttp://source.android.com/source/downloading.htmlCheckout the
> 'ics-release' branch:repo init -uhttps://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest-b android-4.0.1_r1

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 5:19:48 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There's clearly been a formatting accident with my email, sorry about that.

The instructions are at http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html

JBQ

Carlos Silva

Nov 14, 2011, 5:25:36 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Just one quick question JBQ,

will the kernel trees come with a master tag? Right now the log and the tree aren't available via gitweb because of this :/

Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 5:30:47 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I've got a number of tasks on my plate related to the kernel trees,
and that's one of them.

JBQ

Samuel B. Quiring

Nov 14, 2011, 5:29:50 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I get:

$ repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b
android-4.0.1_r1
... a lot of tags info up to android 2.3.7_r1
error: revision android-4.0.1_r1 in manifests not found

-Sam

JBQ

Adrien Béraud

Nov 14, 2011, 5:32:57 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
error: revision android-4.0.1_r1 in manifests not found

Same problem here

Dominic Binks

Nov 14, 2011, 5:33:49 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yep, same here - is this just because platform/manifest is the last
project to be updated, or something else?

--
Dominic Binks: dbi...@codeaurora.org
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 5:34:02 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That's why I asked people to wait a bit: the push is still going on.
I'll let you know when everything is in place.

JBQ

József Király

Nov 14, 2011, 5:33:16 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Read the whole starting post by Mr. Queru, it asks:

However since this is a large push, please be aware that it
will take some time to complete. If you sync before it's done, you'll
get an incomplete copy that you won't be able to use, so please wait
for us to give the all-clear before you sync.

What means, in a few words:

Wait till I say download!

So don't be surprised it won't work yet...

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 5:35:18 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The push process:

-push to master, update the master manifest.
-push to the development branch, create the matching manifest.
-push to the release branch, tag it, create the machine manifest.

I'm still in the first phase, which is the longest one.

JBQ

Samuel B. Quiring

Nov 14, 2011, 5:37:07 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry - I though you said to wait to sync.

-sbq

Weston Weems

Nov 14, 2011, 5:46:07 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Have the requirements for Ice cream sandwich been posted anywhere? I'd be curious to see what hardware would be capable of running it.

Conley Owens

Nov 14, 2011, 5:48:12 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Please see the following for hardware suggestions:
https://groups.google.com/group/android-building/browse_thread/thread/3757b189f4e93df0/7355d4256bdf4906?hl=en_US&lnk=gst&q=16gb&pli=1#7355d4256bdf4906

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Weston Weems <wwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have the requirements for Ice cream sandwich been posted anywhere? I'd be
> curious to see what hardware would be capable of running it.

PRO

Nov 14, 2011, 5:50:20 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
So whats the final computer requirements to compiling this? Interested to find out :D

wohoooo google :D

trickybit

Nov 14, 2011, 5:51:08 PM11/14/11
to Android Building
That thread is about build hardware; is there info on device hardware
requirements?

Nice milestone, JBQ and A Team.

On Nov 14, 2:48 pm, Conley Owens <c...@android.com> wrote:
> Please see the following for hardware suggestions:https://groups.google.com/group/android-building/browse_thread/thread...

Mark Weulink

Nov 14, 2011, 5:51:58 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
i think he means what hardware it can run on (hardware requirements for phones/tablets).

József Király

Nov 14, 2011, 5:56:22 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That was mentioned before, vaguely:
"Everything capable of running Gingerbread will be capable to run ICS" or something similar, but meaning was the same.

2011/11/14 Mark Weulink <mweu...@gmail.com>
i think he means what hardware it can run on (hardware requirements for phones/tablets).

cybik

Nov 14, 2011, 5:57:49 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
simply put, you need to be able to run Crysis in software emulation mode to compile ICS in a short time.

Mark Weulink

Nov 14, 2011, 5:58:03 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
hmm, so the HTC G1 will even be able to run it, but it will be slow ;)

Teguh Sobirin

Nov 14, 2011, 5:59:29 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Great..
Thank you Mr. JBQ for the info..

Waiting for the sync process completed :)

PRO

Nov 14, 2011, 6:09:05 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I guess I'm already disqualified for compiling the ICS from source which is a really bummer. I wanted to have fun but I guess i will be sad lol. Have fun guys..

p.s If anyone here needs help or compiling ICS for Galaxy s II T-mobile or any other SGS II variants let me know because thats the device I was attempting to compile ICS for :D

Conley Owens

Nov 14, 2011, 6:14:03 PM11/14/11
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 3:09 PM, PRO <hassan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess I'm already disqualified for compiling the ICS from source which is
> a really bummer. I wanted to have fun but I guess i will be sad lol. Have
> fun guys..

The hardware suggestions are just suggestions. You may be able to
build ICS with the hardware you have, it just might take a while.

> p.s If anyone here needs help or compiling ICS for Galaxy s II T-mobile or
> any other SGS II variants let me know because thats the device I was
> attempting to compile ICS for :D

AdamG

Nov 14, 2011, 6:18:35 PM11/14/11
to Android Building
This is great, thanks for the push,

Many of us was concerned about the direction Android was going in,
especially with speculation on major news sites that Android had gone
closed source, I guess this proves all the hearsay to be complete
nonsense.

Could you confirm if tags and branches will be created for Honeycomb,
as others have said it would make great to review release code at the
time it was released rather than scroll back through git logs.

Regards

On Nov 14, 9:59 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Hi! We just released a bit of code we thought this group might be interested in.
> Over at our Android Open-Source Project git servers, the source code
> for Android version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is now available.
> Here's how to get it:Follow the instructions athttp://source.android.com/source/downloading.htmlCheckout the
> 'ics-release' branch:repo init -uhttps://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest-b android-4.0.1_r1

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 6:25:53 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I do not intend to globally tag Honeycomb releases, but I will
consider tagging 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 in frameworks/base so that
application developers can match the code that's running on devices.

JBQ

Teguh Sobirin

Nov 14, 2011, 6:22:35 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Mr. JBQ, i can still using --mirror argument to make local mirror? And just wondering, how big the ICS source?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 6:28:55 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can still do that, but I haven't updated that manifest yet.

The ICS history is about 6GB overall (though the current version is a
little bit smaller as it only supports Galaxy Nexus). A mirror would
probably be a bit larger than that.

JBQ

Roberto Tyley

Nov 14, 2011, 6:30:23 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I was actually in the middle of a repo sync when I read JBQ's message... and my rather crowded laptop disk just ran out of space :) Based on that, I think you'll want to have at least 2GB spare, if not more.

Roberto

SandroB

Nov 14, 2011, 6:32:19 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Great! Makes the world better place to be.

Pete

Nov 14, 2011, 6:37:16 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the efforts JBQ and the Android Team!
When do you plan on pushing the ICS device setups for the Nexus S and Xoom?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 6:48:52 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
We'll release those files when we feel confident that they're ready to
ship on consumer devices.

JBQ

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Pete <peteral...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the efforts JBQ and the Android Team!
> When do you plan on pushing the ICS device setups for the Nexus S and Xoom?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 6:57:55 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I've updated the mirror manifest, so you can sync that and then
initialize new ICS clients from your mirror.

JBQ

JC

Nov 14, 2011, 6:59:30 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There are errors still related to the download. If anybody could download, can you please let know.
Getting repo ...
android.git.kernel.org[0: 149.20.4.77]: errno=Connection refused
fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection refused)

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 7:02:48 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I've added a master branch in the kernel projects, which should take
care of your issue.

JBQ

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> I've got a number of tasks on my plate related to the kernel trees,
> and that's one of them.
>
> JBQ
>
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Carlos Silva <r3...@r3pek.org> wrote:
>> Just one quick question JBQ,
>> will the kernel trees come with a master tag? Right now the log and the tree
>> aren't available via gitweb because of this :/
>> Thanks

>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 20:59, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi! We just released a bit of code we thought this group might be
>>> interested in.
>>> Over at our Android Open-Source Project git servers, the source code
>>> for Android version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is now available.
>>> Here's how to get it:Follow the instructions at
>>> http://source.android.com/source/downloading.htmlCheck out the

>>> 'ics-release' branch:repo init -u
>>> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b android-4.0.1_r1

Conley Owens

Nov 14, 2011, 7:03:03 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

You should grab the newest version of repo at:
https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo

Teguh Sobirin

Nov 14, 2011, 7:01:06 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Ok, Thank you very much for updating the manifest..

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 7:03:34 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
You need to download the latest version of repo:

curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/bin/repo

When you're done, delete your .repo directory, and restart.

JBQ

Lucky Meeh

Nov 14, 2011, 7:08:10 PM11/14/11
to Android Building
All -

Please stop this madness. We are tired of having to hack our phones
just to get pure Android on it. I had thought that ICS was going to
fix this problem... Please close the source and improve the OS code
so OEMs won't have to mess around with it.

Thank you,

- A consumer & developer

On Nov 14, 4:59 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Hi! We just released a bit of code we thought this group might be interested in.
> Over at our Android Open-Source Project git servers, the source code
> for Android version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is now available.
> Here's how to get it:Follow the instructions athttp://source.android.com/source/downloading.htmlCheckout the
> 'ics-release' branch:repo init -uhttps://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest-b android-4.0.1_r1
> That's it! However since this is a large push, please be aware that it
> will take some time to complete. If you sync before it's done, you'll
> get an incomplete copy that you won't be able to use, so please wait
> for us to give the all-clear before you sync.
> This is actually the source code for version 4.0.1 of Android, which
> is the specific version that will ship on the Galaxy Nexus, the first
> Android 4.0 device. In the source tree, you will find a device build
> target named "full_maguro" that you can use to build a system image
> for Galaxy Nexus. Build configurations for other devices will come
> later.
> Unfortunately we still don't have our Gerrit code review servers back
> online. That remains our top priority though, and we hope to have them
> back soon.
> This release includes the full history of the Android source code
> tree, which naturally includes all the source code for the Honeycomb
> releases. However, since Honeycomb was a little incomplete, we want
> everyone to focus on Ice Cream Sandwich. So, we haven't created any
> tags that correspond to the Honeycomb releases (even though the
> changes are present in the history.)
>
> JBQ, on behalf of the AOSP team.

Teguh Sobirin

Nov 14, 2011, 7:08:17 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

I get error about "does not look like a v2 bundle file".
But the sync process is continue, that is normal?

Conan Kudo (ニール・ゴンパ)

Jonathan Clavin

Nov 14, 2011, 7:21:36 PM11/14/11
to Android Building
That only works if there is only one OEM that puts out an Android
phone but there are many... That's the beauty of open source; if you
don't like something it offers, then change it. If you like the "my
way or the highway approach" then buy an iPhone

smiznith

Nov 14, 2011, 7:23:58 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The purpose of android is OPEN SOURCE so these will be here till they close it which defeats the purpose...

bmeike

Nov 14, 2011, 7:24:41 PM11/14/11
to Android Building
Hey, is there a special manifest for building a mirror?

-blake

On Nov 14, 3:57 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> I've updated the mirror manifest, so you can sync that and then
> initialize new ICS clients from your mirror.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> > Yes, you can still do that, but I haven't updated that manifest yet.
>
> > The ICS history is about 6GB overall (though the current version is a
> > little bit smaller as it only supports Galaxy Nexus). A mirror would
> > probably be a bit larger than that.
>
> > JBQ
>
> > On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Teguh Sobirin <tj.styl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Mr. JBQ, i can still using --mirror argument to make local mirror? And just
> >> wondering, how big the ICS source?

Conley Owens

Nov 14, 2011, 7:28:54 PM11/14/11
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 4:24 PM, bmeike <blake...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, is there a special manifest for building a mirror?

repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest --mirror
should create a mirror correctly

~cco3

Atoore

Nov 14, 2011, 7:30:59 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
is anyone downloaded/downloading the source atm? if so can you add me on Gtalk? I just need some libraries from you after you compile since I wont be able to compile it myself. Pretty please, thanks!

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 7:35:33 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, there's a separate manifest that can be used for mirroring everything:

repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/mirror/manifest --mirror

Note that it's mirror/manifest instead of the usual platform/manifest.

Once you have a manifest, you can repo init new clients from it, e.g.:

repo init -u <mirror>/platform/manifest.git -b android-4.0.1_r1

JBQ

Carlos Silva

Nov 14, 2011, 7:37:03 PM11/14/11

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Teguh Sobirin <tj.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mr. JBQ, i can still using --mirror argument to make local mirror? And just
> wondering, how big the ICS source?

^^ that's from my mirror

Carlos Silva

Nov 14, 2011, 7:39:31 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 23:37, Carlos Silva <r3...@r3pek.org> wrote:

^^ that's from my mirror

OK, this is getting bigger. maguro and a lot more stuff is being added atm. I'll make a new count when it's done syncing.

Mark Atwood

Nov 14, 2011, 7:44:48 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
While this is neat, I do have to observe that good practice for open source software is not to do "releases" but to instead make your real working VCS or DVCS server available at all times for anyone to pull or clone from at any time.

Will the AOSP Git servers be kept up-to-date henceforth?

Teguh Sobirin

Nov 14, 2011, 7:45:49 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Wow, 6.5Gb and still syncing?
so will more big than 6Gb.
Thank you for your info.

Scott M

Nov 14, 2011, 7:50:05 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Excellent job guys:)

Ezekeel

Nov 14, 2011, 8:03:16 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Where can I download the kernel sources? There are kernel binaries included in this release so according to the GPL the source code must be made available. And since Google is not your small mom-and-pop enterprise and they definitely know about that, the fault must be with me being to stupid to find them.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 8:08:10 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
You're the first one to actually ask for those source files :)

I'm already working on it, actually.

JBQ

Ezekeel

Nov 14, 2011, 8:20:57 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much. Sadly there are some companies out there that do not take the GPL seriously and release the source whenever they see fit (which might be never). Fortunately judging from previous experience Google is not one of them.

I am just really excited about having a new kernel to toy around with and with the sources released I can start porting my kernel for ICS.

Nathaniel Husted

Nov 14, 2011, 8:30:10 PM11/14/11
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> You're the first one to actually ask for those source files :)

I bet you say that to all the developers. ;-)

Cheers,
Nathaniel

Carlos Silva

Nov 14, 2011, 8:39:28 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, it comes down to a wopping 13GB! :D
I created the clone.bundle files to aliviate the stress on the webserver, so that would be double of the actual mirror space used (probably arround 6.5GB).

gitweb and mirror full in sync in android.git.r3pek.org
Please be nice on the mirror O:-)

bor...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2011, 8:40:22 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 9:01:17 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I've just pushed the source for the PandaBoard kernel: branch
android-omap-panda-3.0 in the kernel/omap project. I expect that's the
one you might be most interested in since it can be run on hardware
right away.

Maguro (i.e. Galaxy Nexus) is next on my list.

JBQ

Teguh Sobirin

Nov 14, 2011, 8:56:12 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Ok, so the actual size is around 6.5Gb right? before you make me think is biger than 8Gb :D

thank you..

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 9:05:11 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There are different sizes really.

A current ICS download is about 4.6GB over-the-wire if I remember correctly.

A full mirror is probably 6.4GB, as it contains some projects that
aren't in ICS (toolchain, kernels, and projects from older releases).

That doesn't count any space you need to unpack the source code
locally, and the space you need to do a build.

JBQ

Carlos Silva

Nov 14, 2011, 9:05:28 PM11/14/11
On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 00:56, Teguh Sobirin <tj.st...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ok, so the actual size is around 6.5Gb right? before you make me think is biger than 8Gb :D

thank you..

Yeah, around that. 7GB or something.. but JBQ is still adding kernel trees so it will probably get a little bigger.
If you're setting up a mirror and sharing it, I really advise you to create those clone.bundle files

Zach Pfeffer

Nov 14, 2011, 9:09:44 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com, linaro-android, linar...@lists.linaro.org
On 14 November 2011 20:01, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> I've just pushed the source for the PandaBoard kernel: branch
> android-omap-panda-3.0 in the kernel/omap project. I expect that's the
> one you might be most interested in since it can be run on hardware
> right away.

Thanks!

--
Zach Pfeffer
Android Platform Team Lead, Linaro Platform Teams

jazd

Nov 14, 2011, 9:19:09 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Can someone tell me how to download this kernel? I just want to have a look at it without downloading 6GB+ using the repo tool.

algopats

Nov 14, 2011, 9:20:54 PM11/14/11
to Android Building
Keep getting below error for some sub directories on repo sync. I try
deleting the below folder manually, but the error happens in another
dir. How do i ask repo to delete ("full sync" ) as need ? thanks.

"Fetching projects: 100% (221/221), done.
error: Cannot remove project "packages/apps/AccountsAndSyncSettings":
uncommitted changes are present
commit changes, then run sync again"

On Nov 14, 1:59 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Hi! We just released a bit of code we thought this group might be interested in.
> Over at our Android Open-Source Project git servers, the source code
> for Android version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is now available.
> Here's how to get it:Follow the instructions athttp://source.android.com/source/downloading.htmlCheckout the
> 'ics-release' branch:repo init -uhttps://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest-b android-4.0.1_r1
> That's it! However since this is a large push, please be aware that it
> will take some time to complete. If you sync before it's done, you'll
> get an incomplete copy that you won't be able to use, so please wait
> for us to give the all-clear before you sync.
> This is actually the source code for version 4.0.1 of Android, which
> is the specific version that will ship on the Galaxy Nexus, the first
> Android 4.0 device. In the source tree, you will find a device build
> target named "full_maguro" that you can use to build a system image
> for Galaxy Nexus. Build configurations for other devices will come
> later.
> Unfortunately we still don't have our Gerrit code review servers back
> online. That remains our top priority though, and we hope to have them
> back soon.
> This release includes the full history of the Android source code
> tree, which naturally includes all the source code for the Honeycomb
> releases. However, since Honeycomb was a little incomplete, we want
> everyone to focus on Ice Cream Sandwich. So, we haven't created any
> tags that correspond to the Honeycomb releases (even though the
> changes are present in the history.)
>
> JBQ, on behalf of the AOSP team.

Conley Owens

Nov 14, 2011, 9:26:19 PM11/14/11
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM, algopats <algo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Keep getting below error for some sub directories on repo sync. I try
> deleting the below folder manually, but the error happens in another
> dir. How do i ask repo to delete ("full sync" ) as need ? thanks.
>
> "Fetching projects: 100% (221/221), done.
> error: Cannot remove project "packages/apps/AccountsAndSyncSettings":
> uncommitted changes are present
>       commit changes, then run sync again"

You have changed something in that project. You can `cd
packages/apps/AccountsAndSyncSettings` and `git diff` to see those
changes.

If you don't care about that change, or didn't mean to create it, you
can `cd packages/apps/AccountsAndSyncSettings` `git reset --hard` and
then `repo sync`.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 9:29:04 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
To download the panda kernel, if I'm not mistaken:

git clone https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/omap
cd omap
git checkout remotes/origin/android-omap-panda-3.0

JBQ

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 6:19 PM, jazd <jaredwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone tell me how to download this kernel? I just want to have a look
> at it without downloading 6GB+ using the repo tool.

algopats

Nov 14, 2011, 9:30:20 PM11/14/11
to Android Building
Thanks for quick reply. This keeps happening once i clear the issue
(either git reset or rm -rf).
How do i automate it for all (potentially subsequent) folders for
which it might give similar error msg. Thanks.

Conley Owens

Nov 14, 2011, 9:33:37 PM11/14/11
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 6:30 PM, algopats <algo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for quick reply. This keeps happening once i clear the issue
> (either git reset or rm -rf).
> How do i automate it for all (potentially subsequent) folders for
> which it might give similar error msg. Thanks.

repo forall -c "git reset --hard"

Zach Pfeffer

Nov 14, 2011, 9:33:41 PM11/14/11
On 14 November 2011 20:29, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> To download the panda kernel, if I'm not mistaken:
>
> git clone https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/omap
> cd omap
> git checkout remotes/origin/android-omap-panda-3.0

Will full_maguro work with this kernel on Panda?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 9:34:56 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Warning, dangerous command ahead, proceed with caution.

With a heavy hammer, "rm -rf *" from the root of a source tree. This
doesn't affect .repo, where all the synced data is actually stored.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 9:35:58 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
You should probably use full_panda for panda as you get started.
Detailed instructions are in device/ti/panda/README

full_maguro is unlikely to work (but I haven't actually tried).

JBQ

Teguh Sobirin

Nov 14, 2011, 9:37:32 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

yes, the space is not problem, i have big enough space to place the repo and for building. the problem is on my internet bandwidht, every Gigabyte is realy hard for me to download the repo. so the mirror function is very usefull for me :)

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 14, 2011, 9:42:13 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Well, I'm glad that mirroring is working well for you :)

JBQ

Teguh Sobirin

Nov 14, 2011, 9:43:06 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

I create the mirror and will share that to the local community, since the internet connection is very slow in here :)

Zach Pfeffer

Nov 14, 2011, 9:45:16 PM11/14/11
On 14 November 2011 20:35, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> You should probably use full_panda for panda as you get started.
> Detailed instructions are in device/ti/panda/README

Ah great - thanks.

jazd

Nov 14, 2011, 9:51:46 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Perfect, thanks.

algopats

Nov 14, 2011, 9:55:24 PM11/14/11
to Android Building
On Nov 14, 6:34 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Warning, dangerous command ahead, proceed with caution.
>
> With a heavy hammer, "rm -rf *" from the root of a source tree. This
> doesn't affect .repo, where all the synced data is actually stored.
>
> JBQ

repo forall -c "git reset --hard" did the trick. Now i am able to
repo sync without any errors. thanks.

kmatzen

Nov 14, 2011, 10:34:15 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Is there supposed to be a FaceLock package somewhere?  I see references to com.android.facelock, but I'm not really sure where to look for the actual implementation.

cdesai

Nov 15, 2011, 5:11:38 AM11/15/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Only if i had a faster connection!

JC

Nov 15, 2011, 11:47:05 AM11/15/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. It worked.

bmeike

Nov 14, 2011, 10:38:12 PM11/14/11
to Android Building
A million thanks, JBQ

On Nov 14, 4:35 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Yes, there's a separate manifest that can be used for mirroring everything:
>
> repo init -uhttps://android.googlesource.com/mirror/manifest--mirror
>
> Note that it's mirror/manifest instead of the usual platform/manifest.
>
> Once you have a manifest, you can repo init new clients from it, e.g.:
>
> repo init -u <mirror>/platform/manifest.git -b android-4.0.1_r1
>
> JBQ
>

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 4:24 PM, bmeike <blake.me...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey, is there a special manifest for building a mirror?
>
> > -blake
>
> > On Nov 14, 3:57 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> >> I've updated the mirror manifest, so you can sync that and then
> >> initialize new ICS clients from your mirror.
>
> >> JBQ

Bryce Walter

Nov 14, 2011, 11:19:23 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
JBQ...

We are seeing that the faceunlock libs are not being built, nor am I seeing the source for them. They are also not listed in the extract script, so it would seem they are not proprietary files either. Were these removed from the master branch?

Bryce T. Walter

Zach Pfeffer

Nov 14, 2011, 11:43:40 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com, bernhard.rosenkranzer
On 14 November 2011 20:45, Zach Pfeffer <zach.p...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On 14 November 2011 20:35, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
>> You should probably use full_panda for panda as you get started.
>> Detailed instructions are in device/ti/panda/README
>
> Ah great - thanks.

Hmm...is anyone else seeing:

host C++: libclangStaticAnalyzerCheckers <=
external/clang/lib/StaticAnalyzer/Checkers/CallAndMessageChecker.cpp
arm-linux-androideabi-g++: Internal error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
make: *** [out/target/product/panda/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libLLVMAnalysis_intermediates/ScalarEvolution.o]
Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
arm-linux-androideabi-g++: Internal error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
make: *** [out/target/product/panda/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libLLVMCore_intermediates/Function.o]
Error 1
arm-linux-androideabi-g++: Internal error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
make: *** [out/target/product/panda/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libLLVMBitReader_2_7_intermediates/BitcodeReader.o]
Error 1
g++: Internal error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.4/README.Bugs> for instructions.
make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libclangARCMigrate_intermediates/TransAutoreleasePool.o]
Error 1

...I'm using make -j32

backing off to -j16.

Zach Pfeffer

Nov 14, 2011, 11:54:40 PM11/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com, linaro-android, bernhard.rosenkranzer
On 14 November 2011 20:29, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> To download the panda kernel, if I'm not mistaken:
>
> git clone https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/omap
> cd omap
> git checkout remotes/origin/android-omap-panda-3.0

Hmm... hitting:

mm/page-writeback.c: In function 'write_cache_pages':
mm/page-writeback.c:863: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,

See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.

make[1]: *** [mm/page-writeback.o] Error 1
make: *** [mm] Error 2

with

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/mnt/user/ics/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-
defconfig panda_defconfig
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/mnt/user/ics/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-

Bero, do you remember the fix for this? I think you sent a bug report in.

Ke Shen

Nov 15, 2011, 1:06:30 AM11/15/11
to Android Building
Sorry for the question. How do I get the kernel tree?

On Nov 14, 4:02 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> I've added a master branch in the kernel projects, which should take
> care of your issue.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> > I've got a number of tasks on my plate related to the kernel trees,
> > and that's one of them.
>
> > JBQ
>
> > On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Carlos Silva <r3...@r3pek.org> wrote:
> >> Just one quick question JBQ,
> >> will the kernel trees come with a master tag? Right now the log and the tree
> >> aren't available via gitweb because of this :/
> >> Thanks

Zach Pfeffer

Nov 15, 2011, 1:16:28 AM11/15/11
On 14 November 2011 22:54, Zach Pfeffer <zach.p...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On 14 November 2011 20:29, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
>> To download the panda kernel, if I'm not mistaken:
>>
>> git clone https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/omap
>> cd omap
>> git checkout remotes/origin/android-omap-panda-3.0
>
> Hmm... hitting:
>
> mm/page-writeback.c: In function 'write_cache_pages':
> mm/page-writeback.c:863: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
> make[1]: *** [mm/page-writeback.o] Error 1
> make: *** [mm] Error 2
>
> with
>
> make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/mnt/user/ics/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-
> defconfig panda_defconfig
> make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/mnt/user/ics/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-
>
> Bero, do you remember the fix for this? I think you sent a bug report in.

Thanks Google for the work-around:
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=45102

Zach Pfeffer

Nov 15, 2011, 1:23:44 AM11/15/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Well after a bit things seem to have built okay. One minor issue:

make: *** [out/target/common/obj/APPS/CtsVerifier_intermediates/classes-full-debug.jar]
Error 41

make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

..but I seem to have a full Panda build and a kernel with:

git clone https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/omap
cd omap/
git checkout remotes/origin/android-omap-panda-3.0

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/mnt/user/ics/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-
defconfig panda_defconfig
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/mnt/user/ics/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-

This doesn't seem to be working from the readme,

# Initial setup, part 2:
# With no SD card inserted, plug USB first, then the power cord,
# and load fastboot over USB:
device/ti/panda/usbboot device/ti/panda/bootloader.bin

It just hangs...has anyone used this with Panda successfully?

Zach Pfeffer

Nov 15, 2011, 2:06:40 AM11/15/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Here's the full build error:

target Java: UpdateExtToIntLocTestApp_v1_ext
(out/target/common/obj/APPS/UpdateExtToIntLocTestApp_v1_ext_intermediates/classes)
cts/apps/CtsVerifier/src/com/android/cts/verifier/PassFailButtons.java:191:
onCreateDialog(int,android.os.Bundle) in android.app.Activity cannot
implement onCreateDialog(int,android.os.Bundle) in
com.android.cts.verifier.PassFailButtons.PassFailActivity; attempting
to assign weaker access privileges; was public
private static <T extends android.app.Activity & PassFailActivity>
^
target Java: UpdateExtToIntLocTestApp_v2_int
(out/target/common/obj/APPS/UpdateExtToIntLocTestApp_v2_int_intermediates/classes)
target Java: UpdateExternalLocTestApp_v1_ext
(out/target/common/obj/APPS/UpdateExternalLocTestApp_v1_ext_intermediates/classes)
target Java: UpdateExternalLocTestApp_v2_none
(out/target/common/obj/APPS/UpdateExternalLocTestApp_v2_none_intermediates/classes)
target Java: UpgradeExample
(out/target/common/obj/APPS/UpgradeExample_intermediates/classes)
target Java: VersatileTestApp_Auto
(out/target/common/obj/APPS/VersatileTestApp_Auto_intermediates/classes)
target Java: VersatileTestApp_External
(out/target/common/obj/APPS/VersatileTestApp_External_intermediates/classes)
target Java: VersatileTestApp_Internal
(out/target/common/obj/APPS/VersatileTestApp_Internal_intermediates/classes)
target Java: VersatileTestApp_None
(out/target/common/obj/APPS/VersatileTestApp_None_intermediates/classes)
target Java: VoiceRecognitionService
(out/target/common/obj/APPS/VoiceRecognitionService_intermediates/classes)
1 error
target Java: VoicemailProviderDemo
(out/target/common/obj/APPS/VoicemailProviderDemo_intermediates/classes)

make: *** [out/target/common/obj/APPS/CtsVerifier_intermediates/classes-full-debug.jar]
Error 41
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Note: development/samples/VoicemailProviderDemo/src/com/example/android/voicemail/AddVoicemailActivity.java
uses unchecked or unsafe operations.

Zach Pfeffer

Nov 15, 2011, 2:30:28 AM11/15/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Got my system.img with: make -j16 systemimage

einmus

Nov 15, 2011, 3:46:25 AM11/15/11
to Android Building
We definitely need kernel source code. I see there's full_x86-eng
combo. I'm actually building it. How about some kernel code for x86?
Or we should just fiddling around kernel code for PandaBoard?

On Nov 15, 10:01 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> I've just pushed the source for the PandaBoard kernel: branch
> android-omap-panda-3.0 in the kernel/omap project. I expect that's the
> one you might be most interested in since it can be run on hardware
> right away.
>
> Maguro (i.e. Galaxy Nexus) is next on my list.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Ezekeel <notezek...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Thank you very much. Sadly there are some companies out there that do not
> > take the GPL seriously and release the source whenever they see fit (which
> > might be never). Fortunately judging from previous experience Google is not
> > one of them.
> > I am just really excited about having a new kernel to toy around with and
> > with the sources released I can start porting my kernel for ICS.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 15, 2011, 12:41:50 PM11/15/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on getting all the kernel source trees out. It's harder
than it seems. Please be patient.

JBQ

loki

Nov 15, 2011, 7:31:55 AM11/15/11
to Android Building
Tried setting it up on redhat but failed....
Can anyone help me go forward?

Pasted below the log.

ICS]# repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest
gpg: keyring `/root/.repoconfig/gnupg/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/root/.repoconfig/gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: /root/.repoconfig/gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 920F5C65: public key "Repo Maintainer
<re...@android.kernel.org>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1

fatal: Cannot get https://android.googlesource.com/tools/repo/clone.bundle
fatal: HTTP error 400

Thanks.

blunden

Nov 15, 2011, 7:34:53 AM11/15/11
to Android Building
It obviously refers to devices that officially run Gingerbread.
Gingerbread on the G1 is hardly a good experiance but I think you know
that.

(No, I did not miss your ;) ) :)

On 14 Nov, 23:58, Mark Weulink <mweul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hmm, so the HTC G1 will even be able to run it, but it will be slow ;)

ricardocunha

Nov 15, 2011, 7:57:55 AM11/15/11
to Android Building
Hi, I'm trying to download the source, but repo command give me this
error:
repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b
android-4.0.1_r1
Get https://android.googlesource.com/tools/repo
error: RPC failed; result=28, HTTP code = 0

Bernhard Rosenkränzer

Nov 15, 2011, 9:09:32 AM11/15/11
to Zach Pfeffer, android-...@googlegroups.com, linaro-android
On 14 November 2011 20:54, Zach Pfeffer <zach.p...@linaro.org> wrote:
> mm/page-writeback.c:863: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault

Should be fixed in our latest toolchain build:
https://android-build.linaro.org/builds/~linaro-android/toolchain-4.6-2011.11/#build=4

ttyl
bero

It is loading more messages.