tool download issue on Ubuntu 10.10

swarup

Jan 31, 2011, 2:10:10 AM1/31/11
to Android Building
While trying to create build environment for Android on Ubuntu 10.10,
I used the following command to install the tools and got the
following error. below picked from http://source.android.com/source/download.html.

Can I ignore these errors and proceed with installation of other
tools? any impact on my build?

$ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential
zip curl zlib1g-dev gcc-multilib g++-multilib libc6-dev-i386
lib32ncurses5-dev ia32-libs x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev
lib32readline5-dev lib32z-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libc6-dev-i386
E: Unable to locate package lib32ncurses5-dev
E: Unable to locate package ia32-libs
E: Unable to locate package lib32readline5-dev
E: Unable to locate package lib32z-dev
$

thanks,
swarup

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 31, 2011, 10:20:44 AM1/31/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
You won't be able to build without those libraries, as many of the
build tools used by the android build system are 32-bit-only, and
require the 32-bit libraries to link against.

JBQ

> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

bee

Feb 10, 2011, 7:09:38 PM2/10/11
to Android Building
I tried to install these tools/lib (from .deb package) using command
like this
sudo dpkg -i --force-all package_name.deb. And they seem to install
correctly.

But when I try to initialize the repo client it says:
$ repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/mashruf/bin/repo", line 91, in <module>
import readline
ImportError: No module named readline

So, the package are not really installed. Can you please point out how
to install them. Sorry for asking too basic question.

(os: ubuntu 10.10, processor: amd phenom II).

On Jan 31, 9:20 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> You won't be able to build without those libraries, as many of the
> build tools used by the android build system are 32-bit-only, and
> require the 32-bit libraries to link against.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:10 PM, swarup <me.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > While trying to create build environment for Android on Ubuntu 10.10,
> > I used the following command to install the tools and got the
> > following error. below picked fromhttp://source.android.com/source/download.html.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Feb 11, 2011, 10:24:35 AM2/11/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
My best guess is that you have a version of python that's not
backward-compatible with what repo expects.

JBQ

bee

Feb 11, 2011, 2:32:34 PM2/11/11
to Android Building
Thanks! What can I say, you are a wonderful guesser! My python
installation was incomplete.

But Another tip, My internet connection is erronous it can disconnect
anytime (while i am downloading the 2.5Gb source), is there a way I
can resume the downloading? or I need to download again from the
start?

Regds

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Feb 11, 2011, 2:36:56 PM2/11/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
You can re-run repo sync to resume. You still need a solid enough
connection to download the "prebuilt" project in a single pass, which
weighs hundreds of MB.

JBQ

bee

Feb 12, 2011, 6:23:03 PM2/12/11
to Android Building
Badluck I failed to download prebuilt after three consecutive trying.
Is there any other way I can pause/resume the download? or Download
the source in another machine and set up later in my machine?

Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Feb 14, 2011, 11:15:11 AM2/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can sync on one machine and transfer the result (really, all
you need to transfer is .repo/projects, or even individual xyz.git
directories inside that).

JBQ

bee

Feb 14, 2011, 11:57:38 AM2/14/11
to Android Building
I managed to lend a 1MB line at my uni, but it is real ip and running
on windows. I can't install ubuntu in it.
Could you please tell me how can I download the source from windows,
if possible?
I tried installing cygwin in windows but negative...

Regds

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Feb 14, 2011, 12:28:22 PM2/14/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not entirely sure, but I'm guessing it should be possible to run a
naked git clone of the critical projects (prebuilt, and maybe
frameworks/base) and drop it into .repo/projects.

If someone has deeper expertise in repo, your help here would be appreciated.

JBQ