Special june 30th meeting

Ward (TTY)

Jun 11, 2008, 4:11:44 AM6/11/08
to amsterdam.rb
Hi,

The next amsterdam-rb (june 30th) will be held for one time only at
the office of TTY internet solutions, near Rembrandplein, Amsterdam.
TTY has great presentation facilities, so besides the traditional/
obligatory beer you will have the oppertunity to share some kewl ruby
(on rails) stuff that you are working on with the rest of the
usergroup, show pictures of your family, or just sing a song,
whatever.

Besides you singing, there will be at least three other performances:

- A quick overview of the Sellaband.com test framework.
- A demo of the Ruby implementation of Quicktest: Rushtest.
- Bye bye Ferret, long live ultrasphinx / sphinx (search engine
plugin).

If you have an idea for a presentation yourself, let me know at
ward(at)tty(dot)nl. The duration of a presentation should be between
30 seconds and 15 minutes.

I especially like to see some kewl stuff from the folks from YoMedia,
and a demo of that funky usb-controlled wooden box with lights by Sam
Aaron.

We have a mac mini connected to a big ass LCD screen (1920 by 1080
pixels) with keynote installed and a internet connection. You can also
connect your own laptop if you need to. Need something else? Let me
know.

It will start at 20:00.

TTY Amsterdam
Kerkstraat 342
1017 JA Amsterdam

See you there! (reply if you are coming, so we can make sure we have
enough beer),

Ward

Sergei Kozlov

Jun 11, 2008, 4:53:04 AM6/11/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I thought that you might be interested to hear about integrating a wonderful JavaScript GUI-library (http://extjs.com/products/extjs/) with Rails, so, at the next meeting I would like to give a small 10-15 minute talk/demo on this topic and eventually get to a discussion on it. We are actively using extjs at Innovate-IT, and the results are pretty nice.

Cheers,
Sergei Kozlov

Sam Aaron

Jun 11, 2008, 4:59:55 AM6/11/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com

> The next amsterdam-rb (june 30th) will be held for one time only at
> the office of TTY internet solutions, near Rembrandplein, Amsterdam.

Great! I'm looking forward to it :-)

> I especially like to see some kewl stuff from the folks from YoMedia,
> and a demo of that funky usb-controlled wooden box with lights by Sam
> Aaron.

Haha, of course. The funky wooden box is a monome: http://monome.org

I can give a very quick introduction to OSC (the protocol you use to
communicate with the monome), an overview of my monome gem, and some
interesting stuff I've done with it.

I think it will be a lot of fun :-)

Sam

---
http://sam.aaron.name

Pedro Antunes

Jun 11, 2008, 11:09:15 AM6/11/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just one question... TTY as in the guys who where on the 4th floor at
IGC building in the Dam Square?

I'll try my best to be there and attend my first Amsterdam-rb meeting!

Cheers,

JP Antunes

Danny (TTY)

Jun 11, 2008, 11:34:23 AM6/11/08
to amsterdam.rb
Hi,

TTY has moved to A new location last month.
We are now located in the Kerkstraat (near the Rembrantsplein).

Cheers,
Danny Hiemstra

On 11 jun, 17:09, "Pedro Antunes" <jpmantu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just one question... TTY as in the guys who where on the 4th floor at
> IGC building in the Dam Square?
>
> I'll try my best to be there and attend my first Amsterdam-rb meeting!
>
> Cheers,
>
> JP Antunes

ma...@juice10.com

Jun 12, 2008, 11:46:50 AM6/12/08
to amsterdam.rb
I'm going to be there!

Greetings,
Justin Halsall
http://juice10.com
http://tvnotify.com

Ward (TTY)

Jun 16, 2008, 7:33:03 AM6/16/08
to amsterdam.rb
Also the folks from Fingertips will give a presentation. It's called
"Short and sweet" and it's about writing maintainable ruby code,
specifically rails plugin code. Check their blog post:
http://www.fngtps.com/2008/06/amsterdam-rb-meeting

Eugene

Jun 26, 2008, 3:11:20 AM6/26/08
to amsterdam.rb
Hi,

I'll be there!

Cheers,

Eugene Markine
Message has been deleted

Ward (TTY)

Jun 26, 2008, 10:27:03 AM6/26/08
to amsterdam.rb

Jeroen van Dijk

Jun 26, 2008, 11:38:35 AM6/26/08
to amsterdam.rb
Hi, I'll be there as well.

Cheers, Jeroen

On Jun 26, 4:27 pm, "Ward (TTY)" <w.bek...@equanimity.nl> wrote:
> The directions to TTY can be found here (dutch):
>
> http://www.tty.nl/nl/contact/route_amsterdam/
>
> If you take the subway, you can get out at waterlooplein. It's a 10
> minute walk. Check the google map here:
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Waterlooplein,+A...

Ward (TTY)

Jun 26, 2008, 12:02:56 PM6/26/08
to amsterdam.rb
Guys,

Erik V. pointed out the subway is not available the 30th. See:
http://www.gvb.nl/reizigers/actueleinfo/Pages/metrotunnelwerk.aspx

Wes Oldenbeuving

Jun 29, 2008, 5:32:32 PM6/29/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We'll be there with two people from yoMedia.

See you all tomorrow,

Wes

Aaron Peters

Jun 30, 2008, 2:40:38 AM6/30/08
to amsterdam.rb
hi all,

I'm new to this group and look forward to speak to you this evening.
As the co-founder of www.bemba.com I am looking for a RoR developer
who wants to join an internet startup social media adventure. We're
passionate, ambitious, flexible and enjoy working with great people.

Joost Baaij built our app - http://www.workingwithrails.com/person/868-joost-baaij.

cu tonight,

Aaron Peters

http://www.bemba.com/Aaron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/aaronpeters

Ward (TTY)

Jun 30, 2008, 7:33:27 AM6/30/08
to amsterdam.rb
BTW: The meeting will start at 20:00, but the doors will be open from
19:30.

Wes Oldenbeuving

Jun 30, 2008, 6:39:19 PM6/30/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The meeting was a big success! About twenty people attended and we had
about 6 presentations, or whatever you call them. The topics were
interesting and entertaining. Thanks all for presenting what you
presented :)

Thanks again, Ward, for organizing this tonight!

Cheers,

Wes,
yoMedia

Ward (TTY)

Jul 1, 2008, 4:12:59 AM7/1/08
to amsterdam.rb
Yeah! Great presentations, great ppl and a great evening. There were
actually 25 ppl present. We certainly want to organize another
"special" meeting later this year.

The slides of my presentation about Sphinx can be found here:

http://www.equanimity.nl/presentatie.pdf

Maarten also took some pictures of the evening. I'll link to them
later today.

Bye,

Ward

Remco van 't Veer

Jul 1, 2008, 5:54:48 AM7/1/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
For meeting photo's (they also endup on amsterdam-rb.org);

http://www.flickr.com/groups/amsterdam-rb/pool/

Sorry I could not attent, sick in bed.

--
http://blog.remvee.net/

Aaron Peters

Jul 1, 2008, 9:46:53 AM7/1/08
to amsterdam.rb
Very enjoyable evening.
Ward > txs for the Sphinx presentation. Will definitely check it out
sometime soon.
Probably right after I experience something unsatisfactory with
Ferret ...

Aaron

Eelco Lempsink

Jul 1, 2008, 12:07:04 PM7/1/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
On 1 jul 2008, at 15:46, Aaron Peters wrote:
> Ward > txs for the Sphinx presentation. Will definitely check it out
> sometime soon.
> Probably right after I experience something unsatisfactory with
> Ferret ...

We switched (our Camping application (prototype)) from Ferret to
Sphinx today, using Thinking Sphinx. The speed is amazing, even on
our slow server. Only thing I missed was the snippets/excerpts
feature. It's there, but I have to use Riddle directly and it doesn't
work as well 'out of the box' as Ferret's. Maybe I missing something...

So, thanks Ward :)

--
Groeten,

Eelco

PGP.sig

Ward (TTY)

Jul 1, 2008, 2:19:38 PM7/1/08
to amsterdam.rb
Yup, that's on the todo list of thinking sphinx developer. It works OK
in ultrasphinx though.
>  PGP.sig
> 1KDownload

Justin Halsall

Jul 21, 2008, 5:28:51 AM7/21/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The presentation seems to be off-line, could someone upload it again?

Thanks,
Justin

Ward (TTY)

Jul 22, 2008, 6:04:43 AM7/22/08