screen peeking diner

Remco van 't Veer

Nov 28, 2008, 6:01:56 AM11/28/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Last monday Sam expressed his desire to have meetings including
computers and coding, instead of beer and flirting with the waitress.
Why can't we produce something, maybe code, like the people at
seattle.rb. How do other people setup their code repositories. Let's
do the gitjour, gemjour, appjour orgy thing!

So we would like to schedule a new kind of regular event. A language
agnostic / bring all you coding friends / Ruby versus Python versus
Perl versus Groovy versus Java versus Lisp versus Clojure versus VB
versus JavaScript versus Knitting / look what I can do / help how can
I / should I - meeting for the coding community of Amsterdam. Sounds
ambitious? It is! Will it be fun? If you like coding it should be!

We propose to meet every second monday of the month in the public
library near central station around 18:00 at the top floor. Here you
can get food and look for the table with people pointing at computer
screens going "aaaaah". There's free wifi too in the library but you
have to sign up for it downstairs at the service desk.

So the first meeting will be at the 8th of december. Does anybody
have any comments on this before we start making the noise to get
people to participate?

Remco

Julio Javier Cicchelli

Nov 28, 2008, 6:09:58 AM11/28/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Count me in, Remco.

Best regards,
Javier.-

Matthijs Langenberg

Nov 28, 2008, 2:49:09 PM11/28/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Already have some plans on what projects to hack on? Any shared itches that needs scratching?

Erik Terpstra

Nov 29, 2008, 4:22:10 AM11/29/08
to amsterdam.rb
At last monday's meeting I promised to set up an amsterdam.rb wiki.
Feel free to use it in any way you like, collaborating on project
ideas, sharing interesting links etc.
You can find it here:

http://wiki.ruby-lang.nl

--Erik

Sam Aaron

Dec 8, 2008, 8:20:11 AM12/8/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Just a brief reminder of tonight's (for want of a better name) ACK
night (feel free to make up your own acronym such as Amsterdam Coding
Kollective).

We're meeting from 6pm at the top floor of the public library near
central station so we can (h)ack together on our projects and eat some
food.

Looking forward to it,

Sam

Julio Javier Cicchelli

Dec 8, 2008, 8:29:38 AM12/8/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam, thanks for the reminder.

See you everybody tonight!

Best regards,
Javier.-

Wes Oldenbeuving

Dec 8, 2008, 6:01:08 PM12/8/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
The meeting was a success!

Sam had lots of cool things to show, including Ioke. Ioke is based on
IO.
IO has futures. Ruby did not have futures before tonight, only
Thread#value.
We coded a simple future function in Ruby, so now Ruby does have
futures.

The final code: http://gist.github.com/33661
I turned it into a github project with gem, which can be found/forked
here: http://github.com/Narnach/future

The idea of stripping just about all methods from our Thread instance
works for what we need, but is not elegant.

Cheers,

Wes

Julio Javier CICCHELLI

Dec 9, 2008, 2:28:49 AM12/9/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Wes,

I've browsing your code before leaving for work and it is really
interesting.

Unfortunately I was in a rush to leave (to catch the bus...), but I'll
take some time to read about Io/Ioke. Probably there are some more
ideas that have not been implemented in Ruby... Maybe we can create a
framework out of it! Maybe I'm writing non-sense.

Only time will tell.

Best regards,
Javier.-

Wes Oldenbeuving

Dec 9, 2008, 4:28:50 AM12/9/08
to amster...@googlegroups.com
A quick update:

For those who were not there, but are interested in how we eventually
got to the code in the gist, I blogged about the intermediate steps
that lead to the gist: http://narnach.blogspot.com/2008/12/result-of-ack-future.html

I liked the experience of just doing something ugly-but-working in
code, then thinking up a pretty syntax and making it work through code
or magic.

Wes