Lookout for QEMM95

Fred Athearn

Aug 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/8/97

Reading the back of the QEMM97 package it sounds like you
just install this system and your system runs much
faster particularly if it has extra memory.

But I found that when I ran its "optimize" function, which
is required after installation, on reboot I got an error that
stopped the load dead and which claims that one of my other programs,
not QEMM, is trying to execute an invalid opcode.

The directions in the thick book assume that you are
a certified DOS hacker and offer to help you track
down the application that has the problem.

The first thing you are to do is to copy down all
of the register dump information and then follow
the complex tree of directions to find out which of
your other programs has the error that makes it
not work with QEMM95 (but fine without it).

But they don't tell you in any detail how to undo the
changes that the installation has made in your
configuration that cause it to hang on boot after telling
you one of your other programs has a problem.

After several tries I got to the boot menu and asked
for a dos prompt and managed to change directories
to the place where QEMM installs itself and run its
undo command.

I didn't know I had it in me, and the manual was no
help. It seems to assume that you know how to find
things and edit things in DOS mode. This is not my
idea of a windows95 program!

I have had it. If I had been able to look at manual
rather than just the happy talk on the box I never
would have purchased it.

I am going to try to get my $79.00 back. That is a
lot to pay for a windows95 program that requires that
you be a dos hacker to recover from its crashes. Look
out for this one. Don't let that happy sales pitch about speed
on the back of the box fool you. This is not a shrink-wrapped
Windows95 product at all.

BTW I also had problems with QuarterDeck's
Cleansweep and it is sitting on the shelf uninstalled.

Fred Athearn

Tom Elam

Aug 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/8/97

On Fri, 08 Aug 1997 02:59:59 GMT, f...@sover.net (Fred Athearn) wrote:

Agree 100% on QEMM, but Cleansweep works pretty good for me.

Tom

ansel...@fwb.gulf.net

Aug 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/21/97

Same here, Qemm 97 is a piece of junk. Even a ZDNET (Aug 97) review said
you were better off saving you money to buy extra RAM, than Qemm. Too
bad I brought it months earlier. Still if someone out there does want to
get it, also buy a prepaided calling card, since you will need it with
all the calls to tech support. Remember, Tech Supports motto is, "We're
not happy, until you're not happy"! Basically they told me to disable
TurboLoad and Magnaram to make it work, over the course of numerous long
distance phone calls I had to pay for. Now I am stuck with a glorified
Resource Meter. My System Resources took a dive with Qemm. Quickboot
gave me a whopping 2 second improvement over a hotboot ~ wow, now that's
worth the $50 I paided. Hey, the 30-60% improvement of applications
but most of programs loaded slower!!! Maybe in DOS there is some
benefit, but definitely not Win95

In article <33f431b9...@news.zippo.com>,