Shut Down Virus

Peter

Dec 21, 2003, 9:46:38 AM12/21/03
I have a question, a friend of mine is on dial up and he has that shut down
virus where the computer notifies you it will shut down in a min or
whatever. I told him if he buys virus protection it will get rid of the
virus, but being on dial-up he wont be able to d/l the updates and most
likely have wasted his money on the virus protection. I think he is on Win
ME but not 100% sure.

Does anyone know an easier way to get rid of this virus and/or if I can take
my Mcafee and copy the .dat files somehow????

On a side question, does anyone know why when I open Microsoft Word or type
a 'new' email (using Outlook to edit email) my bold face automatically is
selected?

Any help on both questions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Roxanne Kedge

Dec 21, 2003, 10:27:25 AM12/21/03
Mcafee or Norton Anti-Virus provide free checkup for personal computer all
you need is a browser and I think this is also free
http://www.free-av.com/.

I don't use windows so I dunno ask him to see those sites and above url.

Floyd Patterson

Dec 21, 2003, 10:31:01 AM12/21/03
I may be out of touch but I have never heard of a shutdown virus. Tell us a
little more about what what is happening when the computer notifies you it
is going to shutdown. Are you connected on line and if so to who.
"Peter" <bpet...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I have a question, a friend of mine is on dial up and he has that shut
down
> virus where the computer notifies you it will shut down in a min or
> whatever. I told him if he buys virus protection it will get rid of the
> virus, but being on dial-up he wont be able to d/l the updates and most

Sure he will...just not automatically.

> likely have wasted his money on the virus protection. I think he is on Win
> ME but not 100% sure.

One never wastes your money on virus protetion.!!!

Peter

Dec 21, 2003, 10:54:09 AM12/21/03
no, the computer pops up a message saying it will shut down in a min or so,
counts down and shuts the PC off. you don't have to be connected at all.

I think you can find it on the Mcafee webpage virus info.

Thanks

"Floyd Patterson" <flo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

relic

Dec 21, 2003, 1:08:52 PM12/21/03
Peter wrote:
> I have a question, a friend of mine is on dial up and he has that
> shut down virus where the computer notifies you it will shut down in
> a min or whatever. I told him if he buys virus protection it will get
> rid of the virus, but being on dial-up he wont be able to d/l the
> updates and most likely have wasted his money on the virus
> protection. I think he is on Win ME but not 100% sure.

Get the Blaster Worm removal tool and put it on a floppy/CD/ZIP/whatever:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

> Does anyone know an easier way to get rid of this virus and/or if I
> can take my Mcafee and copy the .dat files somehow????

Sorry, I'd never recommend infecting a machine with McCrappy stuff.

> On a side question, does anyone know why when I open Microsoft Word
> or type a 'new' email (using Outlook to edit email) my bold face
> automatically is selected?

Nope. Never heard of anything like that... it's probably caused by McCrappy
software. ;-)

--
- relic -
Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?

Corona Buddy

Dec 24, 2003, 2:03:45 PM12/24/03
Dude... go to your config.sys disable the starup of it.. go to registry and
remove the starup of virus... but you need to now what it is called before
hand so you know what you are looking for....
"relic" <repl...@newsgroup.com> wrote in message