60's and 70's Memories - Update. Website now up

Adrian Thompson

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
Hello everyone.

On Sunday I posted a message to this newsgroup asking for memories of
the 60's and 70's. I was stunned by the result (I was expecting one or
two - we got 15 so far, and still counting!. Here's an update:

First of all, thanks to everyone who has filled in the form at
http://www.webmedia.clara.co.uk/form.html to let my students know what
live was like for them in the 60's and 70's. We've had some really
useful and interresting responses, and they have sparked a lot of work
(most of which will appear on the website in due course). Next, I've put
the responses we've had so far on a website at
http://www.adie.co.uk/sixties. No one's name has been used if they
didn't agree to it, and I haven't added anyone's e-mail address at all.
None of the text has been changed, as promised. There's a simple search
engine, a browse option, and a chance to fill the form in (if you
haven't already!)

Next step: Hyperlinks from events and people mentioned in the postings
to articles describing them (none of my students (in the UK) knew what
the Tet Offensive was, for example). If anyone has anything to add,
please don't hesitate to e-mail me and let me know, using the link on
the website.

Once again, thanks very much!

Adrian Thompson
Laisterdyke High School

peatea

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00

Funny thing about the 60's. My 19 old son thinks that he was born too
late. He wishes that he could have been his age in the 60's. Many young
people think that way. The media makes the 60's look like it was all love,
peace, great music, fast gars, hippie babes and free love & drugs. The
60's was the most degrading era of the history of our country. Most of the
problems we have today were created in the 60's. I hope that todays
generation has more sense than we did. What would you do if you had the
60's to do over?
Pt

Nightjar

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00

peatea <pea...@snugcove.com> wrote in message

> .....The media makes the 60's look like it was all love,

> peace, great music, fast gars, hippie babes and free love & drugs.
The
> 60's was the most degrading era of the history of our country.

Given the cross-posting, your country might not be mine.

>...What would you do if you had the

> 60's to do over?

Find a good supplier of pot. It is about the only thing I missed out on
in your list, unless you really mean 'gars'.

Colin Bignell

John Cartmell

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
In article <peatea-ya02408000...@207.230.32.3>, peatea
<pea...@snugcove.com> wrote:

> Funny thing about the 60's. My 19 old son thinks that he was born too
> late. He wishes that he could have been his age in the 60's. Many

> young people think that way. The media makes the 60's look like it was

> all love, peace, great music, fast gars, hippie babes and free love &
> drugs. The 60's was the most degrading era of the history of our

> country. Most of the problems we have today were created in the 60's.

> I hope that todays generation has more sense than we did. What would

> you do if you had the 60's to do over?

The media have it wrong - but it was a time of growing optimism and reform.
Most of the problems we would have had today were pre-empted by reforms in
the 60s.

--
John Cartmell - Manchester, UK
using British designed hardware, OS & software

Olli J. Ojanen

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
Couple of years ago I discussed with a British executive. He told that his
youngsters were proud of their father for the first time, when they could
tell others that they had ORIGINAL Beatles recordings at home.
o.j.o.

ted gittinger

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00

John Cartmell wrote in message <499f984...@cartmell.demon.co.uk>...

>The media have it wrong - but it was a time of growing optimism and reform.
>Most of the problems we would have had today were pre-empted by reforms in
>the 60s.

One of the legacies of the sixties was the emergence of the New Left in the
nation's intellegensia. The Old Left of the thirties and forties was
compromised largely of communists and fellow travelers. Dedicated to dogma
and to the discipline it imposes, they were hard-liners. Often quite
well-read, they could be people of excellent taste as well, and good dinner
companions.

The New Left's agenda was to reshape the country into a form in which the
common people would be raised to the heights of the national consciousness.
The New Left remanticized all sorts of beautiful losers: the poor in
general; Mississippi sharecroppers, the Boston mob of 1765. Their poverty
was somehow ennobling, and their struggle was always against repression. It
was never FOR anything.

In this view, America is a shameful failure. It has never been what it
should be, a champion of the downtrodden and a paradigm of social justice.
America has never been a land of opportunity, but one of hateful
exploitation and squalor.

The New Left was intolerant of dissent. Its spokesmen, such as Herbert
Marcuse, insisted that some ideas could not be voiced, especially those of
classical liberalism, because to allow them was to condone the efforts of
the Establishment to coopt ?the Movement.

One success of the New Left was to breathe new life into the moribund Right,
which ever since has been busy conflating the New Left with liberalism, so
that the term "liberal" now connotes vileness. The libertarian Right which
identified with Goldwater largely has become the coercive, Christian Right
of Pat Robertson et al.

The New Left has achieved a dominance in certain social sciences far beyond
that justified by its intellectual contributions. In history and political
science its influence is especially strong. Historians of diplomacy,
international relations, politics, and other traditional fields are finding
themselves displaced by exponents of what is called the new social history.

It is as though the New Left, having failed to have its agenda achieved in
the world of action, is trying to make up for it by realizing it in the act
of narration, in the classroom.

Warm regards,

ted gittinger

H.Morrison

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
to ted gittinger
Ted,

Welcome back to the NG.

Your wit has been missed and your Chile Penguin FAQ has been requested
by a few.

Harry

ps. Our server has been missing so many postings, you've probably been
back for a month and I didn't know!!

Bob (RS)

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
John;
The media lies about damn near everything they report. History is no
different.
Bob

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:34:49 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell
<jo...@cartmell.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <peatea-ya02408000...@207.230.32.3>, peatea
><pea...@snugcove.com> wrote:
>
>> Funny thing about the 60's. My 19 old son thinks that he was born too
>> late. He wishes that he could have been his age in the 60's. Many
>> young people think that way. The media makes the 60's look like it was
>> all love, peace, great music, fast gars, hippie babes and free love &
>> drugs. The 60's was the most degrading era of the history of our
>> country. Most of the problems we have today were created in the 60's.
>> I hope that todays generation has more sense than we did. What would
>> you do if you had the 60's to do over?

>The media have it wrong - but it was a time of growing optimism and reform.
>Most of the problems we would have had today were pre-empted by reforms in
>the 60s.

Delete DELETE to Reply
Bob (RS)

Bob (RS)

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
TED;
Good To See You Back... Hope you stick around a while.
Regards
Bob

Delete DELETE to Reply
Bob (RS)

dave gaither

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00

ted gittinger wrote in message <8ao6nl$pjh$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>...

ted
Hail the Grand Pequinary! Good to hear from ya, I figured you was on some
grand adventure with Capn Call and the boys. Welcome back.
Dave
Americal 69-70
Proud member SFTPOTCP
CWL #2k

Bill Clarke

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
Good afternoon (with sharp salute), Sir.

Bill Clarke
F Troop, 17th Cav

ted gittinger <te...@redbud.lbjlib.utexas.edu> wrote in message

> John Cartmell wrote in message <499f984...@cartmell.demon.co.uk>...

> >The media have it wrong - but it was a time of growing optimism and
reform.
> >Most of the problems we would have had today were pre-empted by reforms
in
> >the 60s.
>

> Warm regards,
>
> ted gittinger

Andy Gilbert

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
"H.Morrison" wrote:

> Ted,
>
> Welcome back to the NG.
>
> Your wit has been missed and your Chile Penguin FAQ has been requested
> by a few.

Semp and I second this msg

John Thompson

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
ted gittinger wrote:

Ted, You ol' hound dog! Glad ta see ya back. Gonna hang 'round awhile
I hope? Missed yer posts.

johnt
--
"And I, I just took a ride ... on my silver machine, and I'm feelin'
mean."

Jim Wise

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
Bonsoir mon pequinnaire.

Wherdahell ya been?

jw

Nigel N. Brooks

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
It's about bloody time you started posting again - you have been sorely
missed.

Nigel Brooks

dino

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
That sumbitch is back again?

I was just beginning to enjoy this ng.

Love & kisses,

dino (who will be going to Texas in April)

ted gittinger

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
(Aggiespeak follows)

Now, you rest, Sweet William. You know my name is ted.

Are the whites running over there?

ted gittinger

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00

Jim Wise wrote in message <38D0161F...@gte.net>...

>Bonsoir mon pequinnaire.
>
>Wherdahell ya been?
>
>jw

On French leave. Heh.

'Tis spring, and the voice of the Pequin is heard in the land.

Warm regards to all,

ted

The Game

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
I of course can't speak for everyone, and only being 23 I of course was
not there to share in the 60's as I'm sure many of you were. However, I
think that a good percentage of today's youth wishes it was around in the
60's because of all the excitement in the air. The boring Eisenhower
years brought forth the explosion of the 60's. I know for myself, that I
have read a lot about the sixties and I majored in History with my
concentration being the sixties. From what I've noticed, today's youth
who wish they were around in the 60's, see the change that happened and
how people felt they were making a difference, whether it be by
participating in a sit in, joining the peace core, being a McCarthy kid in
dethroning King Lyndon, or participating in protest marches. My
generation for the most part is apathetic. We have grown up to not have
faith in politicians, we grew up in the years after Johnson's iron will
when it came to Vietnam and Nixon's cover up in Watergate. Now of course,
I can't speak for those who lived in that era, and in reality I can't
speak for anyone but myself, but from what I have gathered, people then
felt that through participation they could instill change, change that was
good for the nation in their eyes. My generation does not feel that they
can change the world and make it a better place, again I think due in part
because of the way we view Washington. I personally do not believe that,
maybe I am blinded by optimism, but as for wishing that we could grow up
in that era, I certainly wish that I could have lived in that era that
seems to be filled with excitement of which my generation knows not.

Sincerely,
The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales

"I'm so pretty, I'm so pretty, I'm a baaaad man!"
Heavyweight Champion Muhammad Ali

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, peatea wrote:

> Funny thing about the 60's. My 19 old son thinks that he was born too
> late. He wishes that he could have been his age in the 60's. Many young
> people think that way. The media makes the 60's look like it was all love,
> peace, great music, fast gars, hippie babes and free love & drugs. The

> 60's was the most degrading era of the history of our country. Most of the

> problems we have today were created in the 60's. I hope that todays
> generation has more sense than we did. What would you do if you had the
> 60's to do over?

> Pt

Charles G. White

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Son, I don't know who is feeding you your information, but the "boring
Eisenhower years" bring back the fondest memories of my youth. We had real
freedom in those years. We did not have to lock our homes at night. You
could be a juvinile without being arrested for every minor thing, ad
infinitim. Perhaps your teachers are of the flower children of the 60's who
avoided their responsibilities of the Vietnam era -- and are not considered
by many, if not the most, of us to be of the same heart and mind as the
members of this newsgroup. Keep reading here and you will learn "the rest
of the story". In the meanwhile, read the words to Merrill Haggard's "Okie
from Muskogie".

Bill Clarke

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00

The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote in message

> being a McCarthy kid in dethroning King Lyndon,
>

> Sincerely,
> The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales

With all due respect, the war in Vietnam "dethroned" LBJ if that is what you
must call it. McCarthy and his kids had little to do with Johnson's
problems or anything else except to cause me to vote Republican.

The Game

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00

I was referring to the perception of what they believed they were doing,
their mission persay. The belief that one was participating in a movement
because of the hope that by involving oneself, the world would be changed
and in turn become in thier eyes, a better place.

The Game

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
I've been son'd, tsk, tsk, tsk. I'm glad you have fond memories of your
youth. Real freedom, there is a statement that is hard to believe when
you account for McCarthyism and how one's real belief's might possibly
have gotten one in trouble with the government. However that's not my
point. The statement "boring Eisenhower years," is in contrast to the
excitement of the sixties. Perhaps boring is the wrong word, and of
course there was excitement in the fifties, such as the bus boycott and
the integration of schools in Little Rock, Arkansas. However, for the
most part, it has been said that the fifties were years of complacency,
and an era that people did not question authority and trusted that
authority was doing best for the people. The same cannot be said for the
sixties. Sure there were rebel's who went against the status quo as James
Dean was portrayed as such in, "Rebel Without A Cause." But I think
following the assassination of President Kennedy and President Johnson's
escalation of the Vietnam war, people began questioning authority and
wanted change, such as Mark Rudd and Allard Lowenstein. As for my
professors, I will admit they have had an impact to a certain degree on
what I believe, but it is not as if they are the only source of
information from which I've gathered. I've done a lot of outside reading,
not only on the sixties, but on the history of the nation as a whole.
Again, I'm digressing, however, as said, the excitement of the fifties
cannot be compared to the excitement of the explosive sixties

Sincerely,
The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales

"I'm so pretty, I'm so pretty, I'm a baaaad man!"
Heavyweight Champion Muhammad Ali

William Langston

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Mr. The Game, I did not get in on the start of this thread but commenting on
your thoughts below, one of the big problems with the youth you were
referring to was that although they said "Never believe anyone over 30"
(which was stupid to begin with), they were manipulated by evil forces that
they sometimes did not have any awareness of. These 'forces' had anything
but a desire to create a better world except in their own eyes.

Unfortunately ever since the late 50's we have become a 'youth' culture with
the 'elders' looked upon as being 'out of it' and helpless old fogies that
don't have a clue. The transformation has been so through that the
youngsters of today would totally freak out if they had to go back and live
30-40-50 years in the past. In my opinion, they are so spoiled they could
not handle it.

I remember well the McCarthy kids and their misplaced idealism and they did
a great deal of harm in my opinion. Don't try to tell me about all the good
things that happened during that time as if it happened in some sort of
vacuum and would not have happened otherwise, I don't buy that argument. For
example, the passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was inevitable and
would have happened sooner or later no matter what.

I welcome your criticism on my opinion but because I see that this post has
included some newsgroup that I have never seen before and I have clipped it
out, you might not even see this.

Yours truly, Bill Langston.

| On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Bill Clarke wrote:
|

| > The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote in message
| >
| > > being a McCarthy kid in dethroning King Lyndon,
| > >

| > > Sincerely,
| > > The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales

Randy

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
I find myself saddened the results of your studies has returned such a one
sided outlook. The _movement_ which you so glorified, blew a hole in the
hearts of their own generation. And that, for many, will never mend.

Bob (RS)

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
You really had to be there.... What you read in books is only the part they
want you to know. What they won't tell you would fill archives the size of
three of your schools and then some. Your statement about real freedom shows
how little you actually know and by whom you were programmed in school. True,
McCarthy was a total asshole, and it seemed that everyone but the media knew
it, yet he had nothing to do with the freedoms we had at the time as compared
to those we no longer have. You need to do a great deal more research before
you start making generalized comments. For starters stay away from the news
and entertainment media info because it is agendized and slanted as is that
which you probably learned from school. Based on your comments so far you
don't have a clue and neither does the system that taught you. Your time would
be better served paying attention to the goings on these days. The 60's were
just a lead in to whats to come and you're gonna sleep through it until its
too late. Then you can read about that too when you're on some government
collective and too old to care..
Bob

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:23:09 -0500, The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote:

>I've been son'd, tsk, tsk, tsk. I'm glad you have fond memories of your

Delete DELETE to Reply
Bob (RS)

pmartin

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
If I had to do it over again, I'd put more pinstripping
on the Panhead.

peatea

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00

Being a teenager in the 60's politics was the last thing on my mind. I,
like most of the population, adored Kennedy and was deeply hurt by his
assination.
In the early 60's and before we lived as families, loved our country and
God, we cared for each other, kids did NOT have guns nor did most adults,
we hardly ever locked our doors and we left the keys in our cars. We were
a trusting nation.
Then came the revolution. Kids wanted to rule the country and pretty much did.
The crime rate doubled in less than a decade. Drug related crimes and
death went up ten fold. Parents couldn't handle their rebelous kids and
they get away with literal murder. The government stepped in and wrote new
laws and rules and the kids rebeled more. Vietnam came along and a good
part of the young population was sent there. The remaining kids revolted
even more. Most of them did not know what they were revolting against and
didn't care. Of the many young people I knew in the 60's most of them were
protesting aimlessly about something.
It got totally out of hand and could not be stopped. After they killed
three students at Kent State the American youth started to wake up but it
was too late. The seed was already planted. I remember going to a friends
house shortly after getting home from Vietnam. His mother asked him to
take the garbage out and he replied fuck you! I was shocked. By the mid
70's the US youth were out of control once more. Only now not towards the
government but towards almost everything that we stood for as a country.
Respect was gone.
Love their neighbor and respect your elders and parents was a joke. By the
80's it was screw you and good for me. Things just got worse by the 90's
but I do see hope. The yound people today know exactly what is going on in
this country and they are not happy with it. I have gotten more respect
from my fellow (young) workers in the past 3 years than I have in the last
20 years. I have friends of all ages from 20 on up. The young guys ask my
advice and they listen to me. Maybe we, the boomers, did create what our
society is today but we can also help change it by helping the young people
of today's generation.

I am a musician, guitar player, and I associate with many young people. I
also posted my original message pertaining to the 60's in two different
music related newsgroups who's main members are under twenty five. I was
highly surprized with the replies. The young people want change and most
are willing to work for it without violence. The older guys are still
revolting and blaming everyone but themselves for what is happening today.
If we could only get the drugs and guns out of the hands of our children we
would have a good chance at making this country whole again. That along
with making it possible for one person to support a family. There is hope
and I truly believe that the youth of today will become leaders of tomorrow
who will change things for the better.
Pt

Don Thompson

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
pt,

I beg to differ on one or two points. First is this.

When I was 10 I got to shoot a 12 ga. for the first time.I had been
relegated to the .410 and 22 since 8. The 12 ga was pure heaven to shoot. It
had less felt recoil that the .410 . My lil brother and me used to take the
Rem Model 41 Targetmaster single shot .22 and a box of shorts to the city
dump and shoot rats.And cans and bottles. We carried that rifle across town
about a mile to the dump.We walked with it.Nobody protested us having that
gun when we walked.

Of the young people I knew in the 60's none of them were aimlessly
protesting until they left that small town and went to college. There they
learned about drugs and protest. Most kids I grew up with didn't know what
drugs or racism were untill they left home.I didn't understand when I went
into the military why some of the boys hated the black guys in the squadron.
I still don't understand it.

Regards,

--
Don Thompson
Zoomie(BushBug)

Pull the chocks, lets get this kite in the air.

Bob (RS)

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
Don;
That's more like the way I remember it.
Bob

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 06:59:48 -0700, "Don Thompson" <flas...@uswest.netghost>
wrote:

> pt,
>
> I beg to differ on one or two points. First is this.
>
> When I was 10 I got to shoot a 12 ga. for the first time.I had been
>relegated to the .410 and 22 since 8. The 12 ga was pure heaven to shoot. It
>had less felt recoil that the .410 . My lil brother and me used to take the
>Rem Model 41 Targetmaster single shot .22 and a box of shorts to the city
>dump and shoot rats.And cans and bottles. We carried that rifle across town
>about a mile to the dump.We walked with it.Nobody protested us having that
>gun when we walked.
>
> Of the young people I knew in the 60's none of them were aimlessly
>protesting until they left that small town and went to college. There they
>learned about drugs and protest. Most kids I grew up with didn't know what
>drugs or racism were untill they left home.I didn't understand when I went
>into the military why some of the boys hated the black guys in the squadron.
>I still don't understand it.
>
> Regards,

Delete DELETE to Reply
Bob (RS)

Charles G. White

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
peatea wrote in message

> There is hope and I truly believe that the youth of today will become
> leaders of tomorrow who will change things for the better.
> Pt

Being the optimist that I am, and having children under and over 30 -- I
have to agree. It is our duty to elect leaders who will exhibit the type of
character which we hope will be the the good example for others to follow in
the future.

Jackie McElroy

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00
On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 at 07:35:37,
Peatea <pea...@snugcove.com> wrote:

> Being a teenager in the 60's politics was the last thing on my mind. I,
> like most of the population, adored Kennedy and was deeply hurt by his
> assination.

Also a teenager in the 60s, I was deeply interested in politics and
argued the 1960 and 1964 and 1968 prediential elections with family
and friends alike, even though gfor the 1960 one I was in elementary
school. I did not adore Kennedy and neither did most of the people
with whom I associated. I was profoundly saddened and outraged
at his assassination, however. It was a strike against the country and
not just against kennedy his family or the Democrats.

> kids did NOT have guns nor did most adults, we hardly ever locked
> our doors and we left the keys in our cars. We were a trusting nation.

We were a trusting nation and indeed never locked our car doors or our
house doors. We went away for weekends and even vacations and left
the house unsecured. We DID have guns, however. I grew up in a small
midwestern farming town and just about EVERYONE owned a gun. I recd
my first gun for either Christmas or birthday while in junior high
school. It was a .22 rifle/.410 shotgun over and under. I used it when
my father and I went squirrel hunting. He had a .12 gauge shotgun
which he sometimes let me shoot. I used it once to kill a wounded bull
that had been struck by a car and was all messed up inside but still
on its feet.

>Parents couldn't handle their rebelous kids and
> they get away with literal murder.

Or didn't try hard enough. Parenting is a full time job and most
parents stopped devoting full time resources to the undertaking.

> Vietnam came along and a good
> part of the young population was sent there. The remaining kids revolted
> even more. Most of them did not know what they were revolting against and
> didn't care.

I knew EXACTLY what I was protesting against, thank you very much. So
did those with whom I marched and sat in and discussed the events of
the day.

> It got totally out of hand and could not be stopped. After they killed
> three students at Kent State the American youth started to wake up but it
> was too late. The seed was already planted.

The seed that was planted at Kent State was cynicism and total
distrust of the American political power structure. There was no
longer the feeling that things could be changed by mass demonstrations
and marches as had been done with the civil rights movement.

BTW: It was not three students killed at Kent State; it was four:
Jeff Miller, Allison Krause, William Schroeder, and Sandy Scheuer.

> If we could only get the drugs and guns out of the hands of our children we
> would have a good chance at making this country whole again. That along
> with making it possible for one person to support a family.

Agreed. Whole heartedly.

-jackie

Jackie McElroy
Kissimme, Florida USA
http://www.reedycreekdispatch.webservepro.com
http://sites.netscape.net/mcjackie/index.html
mailto:mcja...@mindspring.com

The Wanderer

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00
Yes, but as Merle Haggard said in the late 70s "I said 'We dont smoke
marijuana in Muskogee" and hell, we didn't. We knew enough to leave the town
limits."

Lou Redmond

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00
How about this, Asshole. I won't "son" you because you're not bright
enough. You talk about the 50's and 60's as if you really understand
something about what it was like to go through them. By your own admission,
you are much too young to have an idea of any of it. Both eras had a lot of
boredom and a lot of excitement that you won't find in books, "Mr
Historian". Your posts are full of a rather patronizing attitude that
screams how absolutely full of shit you are. You presume to tell people
that experienced those times what it is they felt and experienced!?!? From
the viewpoint of your pampered '80's and '90's you wouldn't have a clue
about any of it. Your evaluations are simplistic at best and irrelevant at
worst. You have the iritating habit of the historian to paint everything
with a wide brush and call it understanding and truth. Pal, you ain't got a
clue. Crawl back into your little academic hole, son, your betters are
sitting here!
-Lou-
PS If you'd like to match academic credentials, there are many here, myself
included, that would put anything you have managed to accumulate to shame.

The Honorable Indian Soldier, SFC Louis A. Redmond, USA, Retired, President,
Red Feather Archeology, Inc.

The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote in message

> I've been son'd, tsk, tsk, tsk. I'm glad you have fond memories of your

> youth. Real freedom, there is a statement that is hard to believe when
> you account for McCarthyism and how one's real belief's might possibly
> have gotten one in trouble with the government. However that's not my
> point. The statement "boring Eisenhower years," is in contrast to the
> excitement of the sixties. Perhaps boring is the wrong word, and of
> course there was excitement in the fifties, such as the bus boycott and
> the integration of schools in Little Rock, Arkansas. However, for the
> most part, it has been said that the fifties were years of complacency,
> and an era that people did not question authority and trusted that
> authority was doing best for the people. The same cannot be said for the
> sixties. Sure there were rebel's who went against the status quo as James
> Dean was portrayed as such in, "Rebel Without A Cause." But I think
> following the assassination of President Kennedy and President Johnson's
> escalation of the Vietnam war, people began questioning authority and
> wanted change, such as Mark Rudd and Allard Lowenstein. As for my
> professors, I will admit they have had an impact to a certain degree on
> what I believe, but it is not as if they are the only source of
> information from which I've gathered. I've done a lot of outside reading,
> not only on the sixties, but on the history of the nation as a whole.
> Again, I'm digressing, however, as said, the excitement of the fifties
> cannot be compared to the excitement of the explosive sixties
>

> Sincerely,
> The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales
>

> "I'm so pretty, I'm so pretty, I'm a baaaad man!"
> Heavyweight Champion Muhammad Ali

marcu...@webtv.net

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00

CGW wrote:
>>Being the optimist that I am, and having
>> children under and over 30 -- I have to
>> agree. It is our duty to elect leaders
>> who will exhibit the type of character
>> which we hope will be the the good
>> example for others to follow in the
>> future.

I would like to rain on your parade here folks. Every parent beleves
that it is the responsibility of the new generations leaders to bring
this world out of the muck that its in. Look at the sixties kids today,
now that we are old enough to be considered leaders. Who are the
public figures? Certainly not the strongest or even the brightest,
just those who could make those above them feel secure? That is, they
think the same way that those who got us all into these perdicaments do,
so whats going to change?
Please stop giving your children false hopes, unless you can also give
them the right path to follow. We all know its not the path taught of
in the Bible, don't we?

Marcus
Sat Cong

peatea

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00
In article <8b078...@enews4.newsguy.com>, "Lou Redmond"
<rfea...@prairieweb.com> wrote:

> How about this, Asshole. I won't "son" you because you're not bright
> enough. You talk about the 50's and 60's as if you really understand
> something about what it was like to go through them.

I think I'll let this one go for awhile. The facts about history are not
in history books.
Pt

Rob Cookson

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
That's right Don, when I was a kid we all owned guns and we were not
questioned when seen walking whith them. It was a given that we had been
properly trained and meant no harm.

I still own my old winchester model 37a 12 gauge single shot. I have fond
memories of downing patridge with that old cannon.

Cheers
Rob Cookson

Don Thompson <flas...@uswest.netghost> wrote in message

> pt,
>
> I beg to differ on one or two points. First is this.
>
> When I was 10 I got to shoot a 12 ga. for the first time.I had been
> relegated to the .410 and 22 since 8. The 12 ga was pure heaven to shoot.
It
> had less felt recoil that the .410 . My lil brother and me used to take
the
> Rem Model 41 Targetmaster single shot .22 and a box of shorts to the city
> dump and shoot rats.And cans and bottles. We carried that rifle across
town
> about a mile to the dump.We walked with it.Nobody protested us having that
> gun when we walked.
>
> Of the young people I knew in the 60's none of them were aimlessly
> protesting until they left that small town and went to college. There they
> learned about drugs and protest. Most kids I grew up with didn't know what
> drugs or racism were untill they left home.I didn't understand when I went
> into the military why some of the boys hated the black guys in the
squadron.
> I still don't understand it.
>
> Regards,

Carl Hatchell

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
With lame repartee like that, you only prove his point.
Hell, when I was a kid, insults were only a nickel and would make
your eyes water. UPHILL BOTH WAYS.

Carl Hatchell

Mark D. Schneider <wi1wS...@ne.mediaone.net> wrote in message >

> What a fucking dork!

Steven W. Smith

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
<rfea...@prairieweb.com> wrote:
>How about this, Asshole. I won't "son" you because you're not
bright
>enough. You talk about the 50's and 60's as if you really
understand
>something about what it was like to go through them.

[...]

>The Honorable Indian Soldier, SFC Louis A. Redmond, USA,

Be nice, Lou! In twenty years we'll both probably be gone and
he'll be a 43 year old professor at some liberal arts college in
the Midwest. He'll train the next batch of historians... think
about it. You think *he* is snotty... hell! you should have seen
me at 23! (I'm only a mere shadow of my old snottiness these
days.)

I hope he gets it right. He's all we've got besides the mass
media. He ain't perfect, but he'll have to do!

Smith

Lou Redmond

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00

Steven W. Smith <swsmith...@delmar.edu.invalid> wrote in message

> Be nice, Lou! In twenty years we'll both probably be gone and
> he'll be a 43 year old professor at some liberal arts college in
> the Midwest. He'll train the next batch of historians... think
> about it. You think *he* is snotty... hell! you should have seen
> me at 23! (I'm only a mere shadow of my old snottiness these
> days.)
>
> I hope he gets it right. He's all we've got besides the mass
> media. He ain't perfect, but he'll have to do!
>
> Smith

God, I hope not, Steve. It seems that when I was his age, even though I've
always been an avid reader and researcher, I never presumed to tell anyone
that was actually "there" what it was like. It just seems that so many of
these academic elitists believe only what they read and cannot understand
that immaterial of the research that has gone into the books, etc, it is
still simply a myopic view of what happened. However, you are right about
him possibly being better than the mass media - IMHO just a bunch of gossips
trying to make a name and money.
-Lou-

Bill Clarke

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
Lou Redmond <rfea...@prairieweb.com> wrote in message

> The Honorable Indian Soldier, SFC Louis A. Redmond, USA,

> Retired, President, Red Feather Archeology, Inc.

I like that Lou. But I doubt this peckerhead understands much about the
honor of which you speak, probably thinks you live across the ocean and he
probably thinks SFC stands for "Stone Fuckin' Crazy". He doesn't speak our
language nor does he share our thoughts and values. Fuck'him.

Steven W. Smith

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
In article <8b4qc...@enews3.newsguy.com>, "Lou Redmond"
<rfea...@prairieweb.com> wrote:

>God, I hope not, Steve. It seems that when I was his age,...

>-Lou-

Yeah, *I* had to walk to school! It was two miles one way...
through the snow and the blistering Oklahoma summer... uphill
both ways... carrying my little brother... fighting off bears...

Bill Clarke

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00

> (Aggiespeak follows)
>
> Now, you rest, Sweet William. You know my name is ted.
>
> Are the whites running over there?

My brother, the fisherman and aficionado of fine beers such as Natural Lite,
reports that the whites are beginning to school up around White Rock but not
in full bloom. It looks bad below the Dam because of the lack of rainfall.
They are discharging out of only one gate and I'm told the water needs to be
rolling much better than now for the Whites to get good below the Dam. I'll
keep you posted. Do you think you might get over to catch a few?

Bill Clarke

Lou Redmond

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
Not sure, LT, but there are some folks in my life that do believe that that
is what SFC stands for - at least in my case!<G> Be good to yourself, My
Friend!
-Lou-
Still crazy after all these years! (Wasn't that in a song during the
'60's?)

Bill Clarke <cla...@livingston.net> wrote in message

Bill Clarke

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00

> Not sure, LT, but there are some folks in my life that do believe that >
that is what SFC stands for - at least in my case!<G>
> Be good to yourself, My Friend!

> -Lou-
> Still crazy after all these years! (Wasn't that in a song during the
> '60's?)

You bet, an old Simon & Garfunkel song, not one of their best in my opinion.
And I'm afraid that "SFCrazy" was not restricted to the enlisted ranks. <G>

Yeff

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00

"Bill Clarke" <cla...@livingston.net> wrote in message news:sdd9u1...@corp.supernews.com...

> > -Lou-
> > Still crazy after all these years! (Wasn't that in a song during the
> > '60's?)
> >

> You bet, an old Simon & Garfunkel song, not one of their best in my opinion.
> And I'm afraid that "SFCrazy" was not restricted to the enlisted ranks. <G>

Close. It was a Paul Simon tune after the breakup. He sang it
with Artie during The Concert In Central Park but it was released
as a solo.

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

Christian A. Corrales

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Bill Clarke wrote:

> Lou Redmond <rfea...@prairieweb.com> wrote in message

> > The Honorable Indian Soldier, SFC Louis A. Redmond, USA,
> > Retired, President, Red Feather Archeology, Inc.
> >

> I like that Lou. But I doubt this peckerhead understands much about the
> honor of which you speak, probably thinks you live across the ocean and he
> probably thinks SFC stands for "Stone Fuckin' Crazy". He doesn't speak our
> language nor does he share our thoughts and values. Fuck'him.
>

> Bill Clarke
> F Troop, 17th Cav

*Laugh* I love how this has gotten to be a series of personal attacks on
me and also a series of demonstrations of the mastery of vocabulary
skills of certain people.

Carl Hatchell

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

Mark D. Schneider <wi1wS...@ne.mediaone.net> wrote in message news:1h8ddsgap21lhglej...@4ax.com...
> Actually, you proved mine. I actually set out to show the double
> standards that are typical of your generation.

You set out to show the double standards that are typical of my generation?
And you did that by posting (quoting your entire post)
"What a fucking dork". Brilliant! But thinking like that will not get you
passing grades on your logic course.

> He tore into that kid in a way that wasn't deserved by what
> that kid posted.

Was too.

> He flung a whole SLEW of insults, and you didn't have anything to say
> about it to him.

Let me take this opportunity to correct that. GO GET HIM LOU!

>I guess because you're both newsgroup buddies, so you don't want
> to rock the boat with him, so instead you just looked the other way
> when he did exactly what you just came down on me for.

"When he did exactly what you just came down on me for"?
If you'll read his post again, I think you'll see that he took the young
man to task in very specific ways and at some length.
You on the other hand said (and I will quote the entire post)
"What a fucking dork"
Does that sound exactly the same? That was the point of my post.
A lame retort. Jeez, you kids.

> Thanks for the help!
>
> Mark

You're welcome and I was going to close by saying "What a fucking dork"
but that's so fucking lame, don't you agree?

Carl Hatchell

Stephen

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

Bill Clarke wrote in message ...
This is lovely descriptive writing, but does it really belong in
alt.history.british?

Stephen

Steven W. Smith

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
In article <8b7c8o$hv8$1...@gxsn.com>, "Stephen"
<steph...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>This is lovely descriptive writing, but does it really belong in
>alt.history.british?
>
>Stephen

Quit whining. But to address your question: no, clearly not.
Somebody crossposted and Clarke forgot to take out the multiple
headers. He's a cracker from East Texas (who, I understand,
would give you his shirt). Then you come along crying about the
fact that someone is posting something to your forum... not only
that, but you repost the whole thing. I thought you British
history buffs were smarter than that but I've been wrong before.

Bill Clarke

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Well kiss my grits Stephen, you are very correct and I apologize for the
cross post. As my good friend Steven W Smith explained we are sometimes
slow to learn the game here in East Texas and I wasn't aware I had
cross-posted. Now I've got to find out what in sam hell ted was doing
posting to all those other groups. I hope that old fart ain't goin' wacky
on me in his old age.

Bill Clarke
F Troop, 17th Cav.

Bill Clarke

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

> In article <8b7c8o$hv8$1...@gxsn.com>, "Stephen"
> <steph...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >This is lovely descriptive writing, but does it really belong in
> >alt.history.british?
> >
> >Stephen
>
> Quit whining. But to address your question: no, clearly not.
> Somebody crossposted and Clarke forgot to take out the multiple
> headers. He's a cracker from East Texas (who, I understand,
> would give you his shirt). Then you come along crying about the
> fact that someone is posting something to your forum... not only
> that, but you repost the whole thing. I thought you British
> history buffs were smarter than that but I've been wrong before.
>
> Smith

I am deeply touched by your courageous defense of my bumbling this cross
post. I especially liked the part about the "cracker". Thanks old buddy.
<G>

Your pal,
Bill Clarke

Don Thompson

Bill Clarke

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

Yeff <ye...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> Close. It was a Paul Simon tune after the breakup. He sang it
> with Artie during The Concert In Central Park but it was released
> as a solo.
>
> -Jeff B.
> yeff at erols dot com

Thanks for the correction Jeff. My memory only gets worse I'm afraid. I
got to see S&G in concert at Texas A&M in 1967. I still remember the
concert and the lady that went to the concert with me. A good night.

Doc Edwards knew a lot about music and could always answer my questions as
to "who sang this" and "where can I find this". I suspect today is not the
last day I will miss him.

Bill Clarke

Bill Clarke

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

Christian A. Corrales <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote in message

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Bill Clarke wrote:
>
> > Lou Redmond <rfea...@prairieweb.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > The Honorable Indian Soldier, SFC Louis A. Redmond, USA,
> > > Retired, President, Red Feather Archeology, Inc.
> > >

> > I like that Lou. But I doubt this peckerhead understands much about the
> > honor of which you speak, probably thinks you live across the ocean and
he
> > probably thinks SFC stands for "Stone Fuckin' Crazy". He doesn't speak
our
> > language nor does he share our thoughts and values. Fuck'him.
> >

> > Bill Clarke

> > F Troop, 17th Cav
> >
> *Laugh* I love how this has gotten to be a series of personal attacks on
> me and also a series of demonstrations of the mastery of vocabulary
> skills of certain people.

Well Christian, back in our generation if you fucked with the bull you got
the horn. So you just got the horn. You see son, back when we came up
America wasn't so pussy and politically correct. A bunch of rowdy
insensitive old farts like us had just as soon come upside your head as we
had look at you 30 years ago. We are making progress, don't you think?

The Game

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

*Smile* As far as political correctness, it certainly is disturbing to
know that there are still people who are insensitive to others. I believe
we have made progress, even if you haven't. If that was the horn of the
bull, it certainly doesn't cause any distress considering its source. You
never did answer my question. You had stated in a previous post that I
was not bright enough to be called son, yet you have done so repeatedly
since then. So now I ask you once again, am I bright enough to be son'd
now, or do you just not have a clue?

Bill Clarke

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

> *Smile*

Glad to see you are still smiling Christian. It beats a snarl any day.

> As far as political correctness, it certainly is disturbing to know that
> there are still people who are insensitive to others.

This sensitivity shit is a two way street, it works both ways. I apologize
if it seems to you that we don't suffer fools very well.

> I believe we have made progress, even if you haven't.

You missed my point. I have made great progress because 30 years ago (no,
make that 5 years ago) I'd have looked you up and kicked your ass if you
offended me. Now I'm having meaningful dialog with you. Is that progress
or what?

> If that was the horn of the bull, it certainly doesn't cause any distress
> considering its source.

Ah, the bravado of youth. You say this because you have seen only the tip
of the horn. Don't push your luck.

> You never did answer my question.

You never asked me a question.

> You had stated in a previous post that I was not bright enough to be >
called son, yet you have done so repeatedly since then. So now I
> ask you once again, am I bright enough to be son'd now, or do you
> just not have a clue?

It appears that The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales is just
wrong as dogshit here. I think you have me confused with my good friend
Charlie White who has become bored with you and no longer takes the time to
prick you. The only time I've called you "son" is in my preceding post and
that was only because you got bent out of shape when Charlie "son'd" you. I
like to bend hot dogs out of shape and I also have an abundance of clues as
to why you don't know shit, youth being at the top of the list. Dethroned
Johnson my ass.

And where in hell are you a Senator, the student body at some rinky-dink
college?

William Langston

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Sensitive? Therein lies the rub. We are plenty 'sensitive' alright. There
were a shit load of hard-bitten old men shedding a bunch of tears just a few
days ago. Sensitive, you just don't seem to understand there are different
'levels' of sensitivity. We just don't seem to be sensitive to you, is that
it?

Sensitively yours, Bill Langston.

"The Game" <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote in message

| On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Bill Clarke wrote:
|

| > Christian A. Corrales <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote in message

| > he
| > our

| > > *Laugh* I love how this has gotten to be a series of personal attacks
on
| > > me and also a series of demonstrations of the mastery of vocabulary
| > > skills of certain people.
| > >

| > Well Christian, back in our generation if you fucked with the bull you
got
| > the horn. So you just got the horn. You see son, back when we came up
| > America wasn't so pussy and politically correct. A bunch of rowdy
| > insensitive old farts like us had just as soon come upside your head as
we
| > had look at you 30 years ago. We are making progress, don't you think?
| >

| > Bill Clarke
| > F Troop, 17th Cav.
| >

| *Smile* As far as political correctness, it certainly is disturbing to
| know that there are still people who are insensitive to others. I believe
| we have made progress, even if you haven't. If that was the horn of the
| bull, it certainly doesn't cause any distress considering its source. You
| never did answer my question. You had stated in a previous post that I

| was not bright enough to be called son, yet you have done so repeatedly
| since then. So now I ask you once again, am I bright enough to be son'd
| now, or do you just not have a clue?
|

| Sincerely,

| The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales

Don Thompson

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
I used to know one of the best climbers in the world. Guess what? He fell
off. That is the horn of the dilemna you can't see. You fuck up you die.
Guess what again? Most of us on this n.g. lived 24/7/365 with that horn
staring us in the eyes. We didn't fall off. I just hope you live long enough
to realise how stupid you are.

--

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:22:39 -0600, "Bill Clarke"
> <cla...@livingston.net> wrote:
>

> >Ah, the bravado of youth. You say this because you have seen only the
tip
> >of the horn. Don't push your luck.
> >

> Well, I know the next time I'm 6 pitches and a 1000 feet up, standing
> on 1/4 inch protrusions of rock, 40 feet above my last shitty piece of
> pro, on rock so lousy the refrigerator-sized blocks I'm climbing on
> shift as I climb past, I'll be thinking about how intimidating the
> above is.....

The Game

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Bill Clarke wrote:

> The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote in message
> >

> > *Smile*
>
> Glad to see you are still smiling Christian. It beats a snarl any day.
>

> > As far as political correctness, it certainly is disturbing to know that
> > there are still people who are insensitive to others.
>

> This sensitivity shit is a two way street, it works both ways. I apologize
> if it seems to you that we don't suffer fools very well.
>

> > I believe we have made progress, even if you haven't.
>

> You missed my point. I have made great progress because 30 years ago (no,
> make that 5 years ago) I'd have looked you up and kicked your ass if you
> offended me. Now I'm having meaningful dialog with you. Is that progress
> or what?
>

> > If that was the horn of the bull, it certainly doesn't cause any distress
> > considering its source.
>

> Ah, the bravado of youth. You say this because you have seen only the tip
> of the horn. Don't push your luck.
>

> > You never did answer my question.
>

> You never asked me a question.

> > You had stated in a previous post that I was not bright enough to be >
> called son, yet you have done so repeatedly since then. So now I
> > ask you once again, am I bright enough to be son'd now, or do you
> > just not have a clue?
>

> It appears that The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales is just
> wrong as dogshit here. I think you have me confused with my good friend
> Charlie White who has become bored with you and no longer takes the time to
> prick you. The only time I've called you "son" is in my preceding post and
> that was only because you got bent out of shape when Charlie "son'd" you. I
> like to bend hot dogs out of shape and I also have an abundance of clues as
> to why you don't know shit, youth being at the top of the list. Dethroned
> Johnson my ass.
>
> And where in hell are you a Senator, the student body at some rinky-dink
> college?
>

> Bill Clarke
> F Troop, 17th Cav

My apologies, I have confused you with Mr. Redmond. You two write with
the same style, at least when referring to me. As far as my attending a
rinky-dink college, some of us are not as endowed with wealth as others
and attended a state school. Although that be not the case, I attended a
fine University, sorry to disappoint you. In regards to your statement of
what you would done to me if it was five years ago, I can say three
things:

1) I wouldn't have "kicked your ass," because I'm a believer in
non-violence and in any case, would not have hit you because you are older
than I and I attempt to respect my elders even if they don't respect me.

2) It would have been quite interesting to see if you could have found
me, not that I'd hide mind you, but I probably would be amazed at the
amount of time on your hands had you come out here.

3) It is also amazing that one would go out of their way to confront a
person that they know nothing about, except for a name, and don't know who
or what might represent them. Thereby, I'd assume that your ego when it
comes to your, "kicking ass" ability is quite large.

You amuse me sir, as I'm sure you do many others, yet I wonder if you know
this to be true.

Steven W. Smith

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
In article <sdf43ac...@corp.supernews.com>, "Bill Clarke"
<cla...@livingston.net> wrote:

>I am deeply touched by your courageous defense of my bumbling
this cross
>post. I especially liked the part about the "cracker". Thanks
old buddy.
><G>
>
>Your pal,
>Bill Clarke

My pleasure.

I haven't had much time to devote lately. The wifey decided that
I had all of this spring break time so I could paint the kitchen.
Only problem was that she wanted all of the cabinets painted
*and* she wanted the trim in a different color! I didn't realize
how much trim a kitchen has! I feel like Mike Angelo painting
the sixteen chapels! (or something like that)

Our Brit history fans can relate, I'm sure... wasn't Mike from
England?

Steven W. Smith

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
In article
<Pine.GSO.4.21.00032...@sparky.ic.sunysb.edu>,
The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote:

[...]

>1) I wouldn't have "kicked your ass," because I'm a believer in
>non-violence and in any case, would not have hit you because you
are older
>than I and I attempt to respect my elders even if they don't
respect me.

>2) It would have been quite interesting to see if you could
have found
>me, not that I'd hide mind you, but I probably would be amazed
at the
>amount of time on your hands had you come out here.

Well... that's probably a pretty safe bet. Personally, I just
use my name and it's listed in the white pages. I'm always
surprised at the number of people from the newsgroup who'll call
me just to chat. I really don't doubt that I *could* trace the
header, but... you're absolutely correct; there are just lots
more important things on my mind; whatever, let's call them a
higher priority from my point of view, OK.

The forum that you've jumped into is alt.war.vietnam and
please allow me to welcome you. Bear in mind that we tend to be
assholes (at least *I* do) and we're really quite proud of it. I
recall my first posting to this group... it was some silly story
about getting shot at and thinking bees were buzzing by my head.
(Har! Consider somebody so clueless as to mistake a bullet for a
bee!) Well, the whole fuckin' place opened fire and I knew right
then and there that I'd found a home.

But... well, I can't say "Son" (is that silly sig line *really*
your name? If so, then your mommy must not have wanted you!) ...
there is quite a bit of history here. There are good primary
sources on the Vietnam war *if* you can get through the bullshit.
I guess that it's a little like dissecting a frog with a
baseball bat: it's kinda messy and in the end, you're not sure
what you've got. It's still all there, however.

When I was in Vietnam, I was "Ronin"... that is I wandered from
unit to unit as a troubleshooter. Everyplace I landed, I'd run
into a new group who always expected me to act like a FNG (new
guy). I got pretty sick of it real fast. The same attitude is
present here... I don't like it and I don't buy into it but...
there it is.

>3) It is also amazing that one would go out of their way to
confront a
>person that they know nothing about, except for a name, and
don't know who
>or what might represent them. Thereby, I'd assume that your ego
when it
>comes to your, "kicking ass" ability is quite large.

Oh, it's absolutely incredible, sir. If it were any larger, it
would cause an eclipse. As it is, it impacts the weather
patterns in seven Southwestern states.

>You amuse me sir, as I'm sure you do many others, yet I wonder
if you know
>this to be true.

Yes, Mr. Clarke is a regular chucklefest! (Send this guy a shirt
ASAP, Bill.)

I have two questions for a historian:

1) Who the hell won the Vietnam war?

2) I was listening to the lyrics from the old TV serial *Rawhide*
the other night: "Don't try to understand 'em, just rope and tie
and brand 'em..." Now, my second question is: did cowboys really
try to understand their cows? If so, what did they find out and
if not, then why would there be an admonition against it?

Both of these questions are seriously cutting into my beauty
sleep and I need all that I can get!

Smith

"Macho, Macho Man!
I wanna be a Macho Man!"

The Village People

Charles G. White

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
"Mark D. Schneider" wrote in message

> Well, I know the next time I'm 6 pitches and a 1000 feet up, standing
> on 1/4 inch protrusions of rock, 40 feet above my last shitty piece of
> pro, on rock so lousy the refrigerator-sized blocks I'm climbing on
> shift as I climb past, I'll be thinking about how intimidating the
> above is.....

But what about the part about incoming exploding all around you and tracers
passing by you while you are impressing us with your gymnastics? Tell us
that part of the story, and maybe we will be impressed.

Charles G. White

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
"The Game" wrote in message

> Sincerely,
> The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales

With all of my great humility I also greet you likewise greet you
"Sincerely, from The Honorable Mr. Charles G. White"

peatea

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Everyplace I landed, I'd run
> into a new group who always expected me to act like a FNG

I believe that we are only FNG's once. The rest of life is just a rerun.
Pt

Charles G. White

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
"Mark D. Schneider" wrote in message
> There actually was a unit comprised of members of the generation much
> better than yours or mine, the WWII generation, that was trained for
> such a scenario, and indeed fought and won a major operation in Italy.

Interesting? What your credentials for the evaluating the comparative worth
of these generations? Phd. in what --

Steven W. Smith

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
In article <8b9ho1$b...@nntp.seflin.org>, a052...@bc.seflin.org
(Francis McGill) wrote:
>What does ANY of this have to do with the 1970s?????

Well, damn! Just slap me nekkid and hide ma clothes...
*nineteen* seventies! Heck, we thought ya'll wuz talkin' about
Mike Angelo and the sixteen chapels from the 1870s... pardon us.

Smith, who was only off by one century. Not bad given my usual
historical accuracy.

Let's talk about ducks.

Steven W. Smith

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
In article <u_XB4.562$0P3....@newsfeed.slurp.net>, "Charles G.
White" <whit...@abanet.org> wrote:

>But what about the part about incoming exploding all around you
and tracers
>passing by you while you are impressing us with your gymnastics?
Tell us
>that part of the story, and maybe we will be impressed.

And... and the bombs bursting in air... (don't you dare forget
the rocket's red glare!)

Smith

Lou Redmond

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Excuse me, SON, but you're now talking about my Dad's unit, and you don't
have the right. If we are so insensitive and so immature and so... then why
don't you simply go back to the Student Union and talk about how wonderful
you are because you climb pebbles.

-Lou-

Been there, done that, and you don't even rate the T-shirt, SON!

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 22:38:41 -0600, "Charles G. White"
> <whit...@abanet.org> wrote:
>
> >"Mark D. Schneider" wrote in message

> >> Well, I know the next time I'm 6 pitches and a 1000 feet up, standing
> >> on 1/4 inch protrusions of rock, 40 feet above my last shitty piece of
> >> pro, on rock so lousy the refrigerator-sized blocks I'm climbing on
> >> shift as I climb past, I'll be thinking about how intimidating the
> >> above is.....
> >

> >But what about the part about incoming exploding all around you and
tracers
> >passing by you while you are impressing us with your gymnastics? Tell us
> >that part of the story, and maybe we will be impressed.

Francis McGill

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00

: <cla...@livingston.net> wrote:

: >I am deeply touched by your courageous defense of my bumbling
: this cross
: >post. I especially liked the part about the "cracker". Thanks
: old buddy.
: ><G>
: >
: >Your pal,
: >Bill Clarke

: My pleasure.

: I haven't had much time to devote lately. The wifey decided that
: I had all of this spring break time so I could paint the kitchen.
: Only problem was that she wanted all of the cabinets painted
: *and* she wanted the trim in a different color! I didn't realize
: how much trim a kitchen has! I feel like Mike Angelo painting
: the sixteen chapels! (or something like that)

: Our Brit history fans can relate, I'm sure... wasn't Mike from
: England?

: Smith

: * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
: The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

* *
* Francis McGill *
* a052...@bc.seflin.org *
* "Glory to God on High" *
* *

Carl Hatchell

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00

Mark D. Schneider <wi1wS...@ne.mediaone.net> wrote in message news:a09gds4qor0elo412...@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:47:38 -0500, The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu>
> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>

> Well Chris, you kicked butt there seriously and had the right to but-
>
> I'm just realizing how badly this thread has been cross-posted. I
> think Redmond too was a victim of this and might've thought you were
> posting from their newsgroup. Look at Deja -- these guys hardly ever
> post outside of a.w.vietnam. I thought they were in
> alt.culture.us.1960s also. So we're all "victims" of the original
> poster's poor choice of newsgroups. I say let it go and let the damn
> thread die. These guys deserve a newsgroup to themselves and to be
> left in peace....
>
> Mark

Kicked butt? Must be a typo. Don't you mean Licked butt?

Carl Hatchell

Carl Hatchell

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Bingo peckerhead. And just what exactly do you have to contribute
about Vietnam? Trim your headers asshole.

Carl Hatchell

Carl Hatchell

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Gee, you kinda remind me of a gunsmith that left in a similar manner.
Just shout ASSHOLE and run for cover.

Bye dude

Carl Hatchell

Mark D. Schneider <wi1wS...@ne.mediaone.net> wrote in message news:8elgdsc8dsdk4qlk0...@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 22:59:38 -0600, "Charles G. White"

> <whit...@abanet.org> wrote:
>
> >"Mark D. Schneider" wrote in message

> >> There actually was a unit comprised of members of the generation much
> >> better than yours or mine, the WWII generation, that was trained for
> >> such a scenario, and indeed fought and won a major operation in Italy.
> >

> >Interesting? What your credentials for the evaluating the comparative worth
> >of these generations? Phd. in what --
> >

> What my credentials?!? I guess yours isn't English!
>
> But enough, I'm supposed to be burying this thread by my own decision.
> But, you guys are kind of funny, for total assholes ;-/
>
> Mark,
>
> out of it....

Bob (RS)

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Bill;
When someone claims themselves to be honorable you have to wonder why. It's a
shame to see the level of self absorption that Stony Brook puts out these
days. It used to be a school that taught common sense as well as liberal
trash. His air of superiority stinks as much as his attitude.
Bob

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:47:38 -0500, The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote:

>My apologies, I have confused you with Mr. Redmond. You two write with
>the same style, at least when referring to me. As far as my attending a
>rinky-dink college, some of us are not as endowed with wealth as others
>and attended a state school. Although that be not the case, I attended a
>fine University, sorry to disappoint you. In regards to your statement of
>what you would done to me if it was five years ago, I can say three
>things:
>

>1) I wouldn't have "kicked your ass," because I'm a believer in
>non-violence and in any case, would not have hit you because you are older
>than I and I attempt to respect my elders even if they don't respect me.
>
>2) It would have been quite interesting to see if you could have found
>me, not that I'd hide mind you, but I probably would be amazed at the
>amount of time on your hands had you come out here.
>

>3) It is also amazing that one would go out of their way to confront a
>person that they know nothing about, except for a name, and don't know who
>or what might represent them. Thereby, I'd assume that your ego when it
>comes to your, "kicking ass" ability is quite large.
>

>You amuse me sir, as I'm sure you do many others, yet I wonder if you know
>this to be true.
>

>Sincerely,
>The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales

Jim Elbrecht

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Mark D. Schneider <wi1wS...@ne.mediaone.net> wrote:
> There actually was a unit comprised of members of the generation much
> better than yours or mine,

If you really believe that, then your momma wasted the $$ she gave you
to go study history.

There is no 'better' generation. Different generations have different
challenges, and each meet them in their own way. The parents of that
WWII generation said the same things about those crazy kids as our
parents said about us, and yours about you.\and you will about your
kids]

If you want to believe that WWII generation was full of people better
than you, that's OK, but don't make that same assumption for your
peers.

jim

Charles G. White

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
"Steven W. Smith" wrote in message

> In article "Charles G. White" wrote:
> > But what about the part about incoming exploding all around
> > you and tracers passing by you while you are impressing us
> > with your gymnastics? Tell us that part of the story, and
> > maybe we will be impressed.

> And... and the bombs bursting in air... (don't you dare forget

> the rocket's red glare!)
> Smith

Steve, if you are going to get fancy about it, we should at least add WP,
puff, all topped off by an arc light. Also, you can sing, and we will
harmonize with you.

The Game

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:08:15 -8000, Steve W. Smith wrote:

> I have two questions for a historian:
>
> 1) Who the hell won the Vietnam war?

I think the general consensus is that there were two victor's in the war:

1) The leaders of North Vietnam.

2) The South Vietnamese army generals, who made off with ton's of U.S.'s
money.

> 2) I was listening to the lyrics from the old TV serial *Rawhide*
> the other night: "Don't try to understand 'em, just rope and tie
> and brand 'em..." Now, my second question is: did cowboys really
> try to understand their cows? If so, what did they find out and
> if not, then why would there be an admonition against it?

*smile* Like I said, you certainly are a most humorous fellow.

> Both of these questions are seriously cutting into my beauty
> sleep and I need all that I can get!
>
> Smith
>

> "Macho, Macho Man!
> I wanna be a Macho Man!"
>
> The Village People

Ha! I just got 12 hours of beauty sleep, although I doubt it helped that
much! :).

The Game

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Mr. Redmond, unless I read it wrong, Mr. Schneider is saying that your
dad's unit, assuming that your dad's unit was in the Second World War, was
better trained or skilled. I highly doubt that while Mr. Schneider is
trying to, "bury this thread," he would be attacking anyone.

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Lou Redmond wrote:

> Excuse me, SON, but you're now talking about my Dad's unit, and you don't
> have the right. If we are so insensitive and so immature and so... then why
> don't you simply go back to the Student Union and talk about how wonderful
> you are because you climb pebbles.
>
> -Lou-
>
> Been there, done that, and you don't even rate the T-shirt, SON!
>

> Mark D. Schneider <wi1wS...@ne.mediaone.net> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 22:38:41 -0600, "Charles G. White"

> > <whit...@abanet.org> wrote:

> > >But what about the part about incoming exploding all around you and
> tracers
> > >passing by you while you are impressing us with your gymnastics? Tell us
> > >that part of the story, and maybe we will be impressed.
> > >

> > There actually was a unit comprised of members of the generation much

The Game

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Charles G. White wrote:

> "Steven W. Smith" wrote in message
> > In article "Charles G. White" wrote:

> > > But what about the part about incoming exploding all around
> > > you and tracers passing by you while you are impressing us
> > > with your gymnastics? Tell us that part of the story, and
> > > maybe we will be impressed.
>

> > And... and the bombs bursting in air... (don't you dare forget
> > the rocket's red glare!)
> > Smith
>
> Steve, if you are going to get fancy about it, we should at least add WP,
> puff, all topped off by an arc light. Also, you can sing, and we will
> harmonize with you.

*chuckle* It appears this newsgroups is full of humourous fellows :).

Bill Clarke

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00

> Let's talk about ducks.

This cat had probably rather talk about Disco Duck.

Bill Clarke

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00

Carl Hatchell <Ha...@nospam.2xtreme.net> wrote in message

> Gee, you kinda remind me of a gunsmith that left in a similar manner.
> Just shout ASSHOLE and run for cover.
>
> Bye dude
>
> Carl Hatchell

Right Carl, I'd forgotten about that bunch of nuts. They were real fun to
prick a bit. They're bullshit was much more funny than these current cats.

Bill Clarke
F Troop, 17th Cav

> Mark D. Schneider <wi1wS...@ne.mediaone.net> wrote in message

> > On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 22:59:38 -0600, "Charles G. White"

> > <whit...@abanet.org> wrote:

Italy.

Bill Clarke

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00

> Kicked butt? Must be a typo. Don't you mean Licked butt?
>
> Carl Hatchell

Hey, now listen Carl, I like to have a good time too but I ain't going for
none of this kinky stuff. <G>

Charles G. White

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Wrong! You left out General Motors, Chrysler, Jeep, Dupont, and many other
companies, and their respective stockholders. Also, the US did gain an
advantage in advancing technology over others. This technology showed up in
the Gulf war. Finally, don't forget those of us who returned as tough
SOB's.

The Game wrote in message

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:08:15 -8000, Steve W. Smith wrote:
>
> > I have two questions for a historian:
> >
> > 1) Who the hell won the Vietnam war?
>
> I think the general consensus is that there were two victor's in the war:
>
> 1) The leaders of North Vietnam.
>
> 2) The South Vietnamese army generals, who made off with ton's of U.S.'s
> money.
>

> > 2) I was listening to the lyrics from the old TV serial *Rawhide*
> > the other night: "Don't try to understand 'em, just rope and tie
> > and brand 'em..." Now, my second question is: did cowboys really
> > try to understand their cows? If so, what did they find out and
> > if not, then why would there be an admonition against it?
>
> *smile* Like I said, you certainly are a most humorous fellow.
>
> > Both of these questions are seriously cutting into my beauty
> > sleep and I need all that I can get!
> >
> > Smith
> >

> > "Macho, Macho Man!
> > I wanna be a Macho Man!"
> >
> > The Village People
> >
> > * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *
> > The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!
>
> Ha! I just got 12 hours of beauty sleep, although I doubt it helped that
> much! :).

The Game

Bill Clarke

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Now now Senator, you are taking this much too serious, I've just been fuckin
' with you as I have done with countless others before you than wander into
our newsgroup and rap their bullshit. And yes, I have had many people tell
me how I crack them up with my wonderful sense of humor.

Mr. Redman and I share more than a writing style, we were in the same unit.
Do you understand unit loyalty and dedication?

And once again Senator, which great state do you represent.

Bill Clarke
F Troop, 17th Cav

The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote in message

> > Bill Clarke
> > F Troop, 17th Cav
> >

> My apologies, I have confused you with Mr. Redmond. You two write with
> the same style, at least when referring to me. As far as my attending a
> rinky-dink college, some of us are not as endowed with wealth as others
> and attended a state school. Although that be not the case, I attended a
> fine University, sorry to disappoint you. In regards to your statement of
> what you would done to me if it was five years ago, I can say three
> things:
>
> 1) I wouldn't have "kicked your ass," because I'm a believer in
> non-violence and in any case, would not have hit you because you are older
> than I and I attempt to respect my elders even if they don't respect me.
>
> 2) It would have been quite interesting to see if you could have found
> me, not that I'd hide mind you, but I probably would be amazed at the
> amount of time on your hands had you come out here.
>
> 3) It is also amazing that one would go out of their way to confront a
> person that they know nothing about, except for a name, and don't know who
> or what might represent them. Thereby, I'd assume that your ego when it
> comes to your, "kicking ass" ability is quite large.
>
> You amuse me sir, as I'm sure you do many others, yet I wonder if you know
> this to be true.

Don Thompson

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
victor charles got his ass kicked. Bao dihn said he wondered why the US
didn't press its victories when we had the chance the VC were beaten and in
total dissaray and the FUCKIN POLITICIANS let it slip away.

--

> I thought you meant the immediate victors :).
>

> Sincerely,
> The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales
>
> "I'm so pretty, I'm so pretty, I'm a baaaad man!"
> Heavyweight Champion Muhammad Ali

Bill Clarke

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00

Bob (RS) <rsears...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Bill;
> When someone claims themselves to be honorable you have to wonder why.

Roger that Bob. When we bid a private job and the man starts off telling us
how he always pays his bills and what a good honest Christian man he is we
proceed with extreme caution.

The Game

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
*grin* So you enjoy manipulating and playing with people's mind, how
interesting :). Loyalty I understand, at the very least being loyal to
family and friends, of which I can only hope my friends are to me as I
assume that my family will always be; however unit loyalty and dedication
I assume is on another level as one is talking about immediate life and
death situations. As for what state I represent, I represent people,
which most Senator's theoretically represent.

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Bill Clarke wrote:

> Now now Senator, you are taking this much too serious, I've just been fuckin
> ' with you as I have done with countless others before you than wander into
> our newsgroup and rap their bullshit. And yes, I have had many people tell
> me how I crack them up with my wonderful sense of humor.
>
> Mr. Redman and I share more than a writing style, we were in the same unit.
> Do you understand unit loyalty and dedication?
>
> And once again Senator, which great state do you represent.
>

> Bill Clarke
> F Troop, 17th Cav
>

> The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote in message

> > On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Bill Clarke wrote:
> >

> > > The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote in message

> > > Bill Clarke
> > > F Troop, 17th Cav
> > >

> > My apologies, I have confused you with Mr. Redmond. You two write with
> > the same style, at least when referring to me. As far as my attending a
> > rinky-dink college, some of us are not as endowed with wealth as others
> > and attended a state school. Although that be not the case, I attended a
> > fine University, sorry to disappoint you. In regards to your statement of
> > what you would done to me if it was five years ago, I can say three
> > things:
> >
> > 1) I wouldn't have "kicked your ass," because I'm a believer in
> > non-violence and in any case, would not have hit you because you are older
> > than I and I attempt to respect my elders even if they don't respect me.
> >
> > 2) It would have been quite interesting to see if you could have found
> > me, not that I'd hide mind you, but I probably would be amazed at the
> > amount of time on your hands had you come out here.
> >
> > 3) It is also amazing that one would go out of their way to confront a
> > person that they know nothing about, except for a name, and don't know who
> > or what might represent them. Thereby, I'd assume that your ego when it
> > comes to your, "kicking ass" ability is quite large.
> >
> > You amuse me sir, as I'm sure you do many others, yet I wonder if you know
> > this to be true.

Charles G. White

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Bill Clarke wrote in message

> Roger that Bob. When we bid a private job and the man starts off telling
us
> how he always pays his bills and what a good honest Christian man he is we
> proceed with extreme caution.

Bill, that's how we always sized them up out here in the West Texas
panhandle, but I didn't that the same principles were applied in East Texas.

The Game

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
The answer to that, at least in my case is easy, we still call our public
servants with the title after they have left office, whether it be
President Reagan, Senator Dole, or Congressman Bono, so being that I was a
public servant, although to no level these men were, I continue to use the
title. :).

Sincerely,
The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales

"I'm so pretty, I'm so pretty, I'm a baaaad man!"
Heavyweight Champion Muhammad Ali

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Bill Clarke wrote:

> Bob (RS) <rsears...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Bill;
> > When someone claims themselves to be honorable you have to wonder why.
>

> Roger that Bob. When we bid a private job and the man starts off telling us
> how he always pays his bills and what a good honest Christian man he is we
> proceed with extreme caution.

Charles G. White

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Well Senator, in that case, to show proper respect, I suppose that you will
have to address us as "General". However, that may be some members of this
newsgroup who are only "Col." (or of a slightly lessor rank in some
instances).

Charles G. White, Esq.

Mac

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00

.

**************

>Roger that Bob. When we bid a private job and
the man starts off telling us
>how he always pays his bills and what a good
honest Christian man he is we
>proceed with extreme caution.
>
>Bill Clarke
>F Troop, 17th Cav

******************
Oh, yes!
When people start on that, or on how vast their
attainments are; or how they are here only to
post issues to help veterans. . . etc., there is a
time to quickly grab one's wallet and look very,
very closely.

When we hear those phrases we make sure to do an
in-depth credit check and investigate more fully
the person's work history. . . etc.
---Mac

CuchiD...@webtv.net

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Back in '63, I walked down the road with a pistol (.22 ) on my side.Back
then, concealed carry was illegal, open carry was ok. They reversed the
law while I was in Vietnam.Now,IF you can get a carry permit, it has to
be concealed. Go figure.

[ When I was 10 I got to shoot a 12 ga. for the first time.I had been
relegated to the .410 and 22 since 8. The 12 ga was pure heaven to
shoot. It had less felt recoil that the .410 . My lil brother and me
used to take the Rem Model 41 Targetmaster single shot .22 and a box of
shorts to the city dump and shoot rats.And cans and bottles. We carried
that rifle across town about a mile to the dump.We walked with it.Nobody
protested us having that gun when we walked.]

I bet you didn't shoot anyone either,they were still frying them back
then. Old Sparky.

Live free or die ! Don't tread on me ! The cost of freedom is eternal
vigilance.

CuchiD...@webtv.net

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Group: alt.war.vietnam Date: Fri, Mar 17, 2000, 1:41am (EST+5) From:
pma...@adelphia.net (pmartin) Re: 60's and 70's Memories - Update.
Website now up
[If I had to do it over again, I'd put more pinstripping on the Panhead.
]

Psychedelic !

CuchiD...@webtv.net

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
[and the FUCKIN POLITICIANS let it slip away.]

Yeah, like fucking senators !

Stephen Denney

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
to Stephen Denney

The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:08:15 -8000, Steve W. Smith wrote:
>
> > I have two questions for a historian:
> >
> > 1) Who the hell won the Vietnam war?
>
> I think the general consensus is that there were two victor's in the war:
>
> 1) The leaders of North Vietnam.
>
> 2) The South Vietnamese army generals, who made off with ton's of U.S.'s
> money.

Some South Vietnamese army generals may have made off with much money. But
others wound up in re-education camps, along with hundreds of thousands of
other former South Vietnamese military officers and government officials.
- Steve Denney

Bill Clarke

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00

The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote in message

> As for what state I represent, I represent people,
> which most Senator's theoretically represent.
>

> Sincerely,
> The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales

I thought so. A wannabe student council veteran. It must have been hell
during "Operation Ivy Hall 3" and "Beer Bust 17", is that where you earned
your Silver Star and 14 Purple Hearts?

Oops, there goes that wonderful sense of humor that you like so much. I
gotta control that sucker.

Isn't it about time you ease on back to the student union and leave us old
bulls alone? We passed your stage in life a long long time ago and although
we take joy and inspiration from many young people you do not seem to be one
of them.

Bill Clarke

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00

Stephen Denney <sde...@ocf.Berkeley.EDU> wrote in message

> Some South Vietnamese army generals may have made off with
> much money. But others wound up in re-education camps, along
> with hundreds of thousands of other former South Vietnamese
> military officers and government officials.

> - Steve Denney

Yeah, when you color with a broad brush you get outside the lines every
time. <G>

How you been doing Stephen.

Don Thompson

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
Bill,

His awards all came from the night he got a severe case of the Blue Balls.
He was so severely injured he couldn't sit for 3 weeks.

--
Don Thompson
Zoomie(BushBug)
ACA#3460
TLCB#335
Any Time, Any Place

Pull the chocks, lets get this kite in the air.

"Bill Clarke" <cla...@livingston.net> wrote in message

The Game

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Bill Clarke wrote:

> The Game <ccor...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote in message
>
> > As for what state I represent, I represent people,
> > which most Senator's theoretically represent.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales
> >

> I thought so. A wannabe student council veteran. It must have been hell
> during "Operation Ivy Hall 3" and "Beer Bust 17", is that where you earned
> your Silver Star and 14 Purple Hearts?
>
> Oops, there goes that wonderful sense of humor that you like so much. I
> gotta control that sucker.
>
> Isn't it about time you ease on back to the student union and leave us old
> bulls alone? We passed your stage in life a long long time ago and although
> we take joy and inspiration from many young people you do not seem to be one
> of them.
>
> Bill Clarke
> F Troop, 17th Cav

Mr. Clarke, you make it seem as though you don't want me to post on
here. I don't seem to be one that gives you joy an inspiration, hmm, I
didn't know that was my job, perhaps in thirty years if I heard that I'd
be hurt, but for totally different reasons.

Sincerely,
The Honorable Senator, Mr. Christian A. Corrales

"I'm so pretty, I'm so pretty, I'm a baaaad man!"
Heavyweight Champion Muhammad Ali

It is loading more messages.