H1 Multiple Entry Questions.

Prasanna Parthasarathy

Sep 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/17/96

Hi ,

I have obtained my H1 recently and I would like
to have information about obtaining the multiple entry
visa

1. Any information about the Mexican Consulate in Tijuana, Mexico

2. Mexican Visa Requirement

1) Is it really required ? If so, what is the procedure to
obtain the same ?

2) If I do not take a Mexican Visa and questioned by immigration
officials in Mexico , what happens ?

3. What happens if the Multiple Entry is rejected for some reason ?
How does one reenter USA and questions , answers at the Border Post ?

I would really appreciate if Visa Gurus can provide me some detailed
information.

You can send the replies to ppar...@cisco.com

Thanks in advance for your replies

--

Prasanna P

Jonathan McNeil Wong

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

Prasanna Parthasarathy wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I have obtained my H1 recently and I would like
> to have information about obtaining the multiple entry
> visa
>
> 1. Any information about the Mexican Consulate in Tijuana, Mexico

Posted yesterday.

> 2. Mexican Visa Requirement
>
> 1) Is it really required ? If so, what is the procedure to
> obtain the same ?

Depends on your nationality. If it is required, you can apply at a Mexican consulate,
or at the border. Some agents (Victor Garcia is the guy I have heard frequently
mentioned) will do it for you for a fee.

> 2) If I do not take a Mexican Visa and questioned by immigration
> officials in Mexico , what happens ?

Either you will pay a fine and receive a three day permit, or you will not be permitted
to crss the border.

> 3. What happens if the Multiple Entry is rejected for some reason ?
> How does one reenter USA and questions , answers at the Border Post ?

If you have an I-94 showing your current valid status, you can use it for re-entry. If
you are out of status, you will not be permitted to re-enter.
--
Above intended as general commentary, not specific legal advice. Your
mileage may vary.

Jonathan McNeil Wong Voice: 510-451-0544
Donahue, Gallagher, Woods & Wood Facsimile: 510-832-1486
P.O. Box 12979 E-mail: jona...@donahue.com
Oakland, CA 94604-2979

Iwan Ulrich

Sep 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/30/96

I'm a graduate student on a F1 visa. I would like to start my own
business (high tech) in the US, but my F1 visa doesn't permit this. Also
the practical training option doesn't help me, as it will take me at
least 4 more years before I'm done with my Ph.D. degree.

Or would it help if a US friend starts his company and then hires me to
do the work? What kind of visa would I need in this case? The H1 visa
would probably be out of question, as I would still be a full-time
student, right?

Any help would be highly appreciated

Iwan

Wendell Tsai

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96
F-1 visa does not stop you from starting a business if you have the
capital to invest in the new business, US immigration law actually
encourage you to start the business here. You just can't work in this
business and get paid. You are encourged to hire citizen and legal
immigrant workeds for your business. Is that what you have in mind?
With a job creation, You may even be entitled to a GC.

Have your friend start a business and to hire you sound doable, But he
still needs captial and be able to prove that he can afford to pay you.

It is ok to work in H-1B and go to school if work is your main activity.

--
Regards,

Wendell
All comments are not legal opinion and based on assumptions provided.

Michele Chubirka

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

You can start your own business and then sponsor yourself for work
visa. It's done all the time. You'll want to incorporate, get
fed-employee i.d. # and then go through attorney to help w/ conversion
of your visa.

Iwan Ulrich <iw...@umich.edu> wrote:

>Hi,

>I'm a graduate student on a F1 visa. I would like to start my own
>business (high tech) in the US, but my F1 visa doesn't permit this. Also
>the practical training option doesn't help me, as it will take me at
>least 4 more years before I'm done with my Ph.D. degree.

>Or would it help if a US friend starts his company and then hires me to
>do the work? What kind of visa would I need in this case? The H1 visa
>would probably be out of question, as I would still be a full-time
>student, right?

>Any help would be highly appreciated

> Iwan

Jonathan McNeil Wong

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

Michele Chubirka wrote:

> You can start your own business and then sponsor yourself for work
> visa. It's done all the time. You'll want to incorporate, get
> fed-employee i.d. # and then go through attorney to help w/ conversion
> of your visa.

Not necessarily so simple -- because, for example, if the goal is to have
the new business sponsor the alien for an H-1B, there has to be
sufficient financial wherewithal to pay the alien's salary at prevailing
wage. So seeing a lawyer is a good idea.

--
Above intended as general commentary, not specific legal
advice. Your mileage may vary.

Michael E. Piston

Oct 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/6/96
to Iwan Ulrich

Iwan Ulrich wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a graduate student on a F1 visa. I would like to start my own
> business (high tech) in the US, but my F1 visa doesn't permit this. Also
> the practical training option doesn't help me, as it will take me at
> least 4 more years before I'm done with my Ph.D. degree.
>
> Or would it help if a US friend starts his company and then hires me to
> do the work? What kind of visa would I need in this case? The H1 visa
> would probably be out of question, as I would still be a full-time
> student, right?
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated
>
> Iwan

Iwan:

I agree with those who have stated that you can start your own business
and that business may petition for H-1B status for you if you willwork
for it in a specialty occupation. Even after you are on H=1b you may
still go to school if you wish.
Further, you needn't worry too much about establishing the company's
ability to pay the prevailing wage. In December, 1995 the INS Central
Office wrote a memo to all INS Regional Service Centers telling them
that ability to pay was not an issue in H-1B cases and that therefore
requests for financial information should not be made of H-1b
petitioners. Since then I haven't received a single such request.
--
Michael E. Piston
Attorney at Law

Michele Chubirka

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

This is exactly what the attorney who works for my friend from Italy
told him. You know, if he didn't already have an attorney, I'd
certainly recommend you to him. Or anyone else I talk to. Your
advice is always very sound and thoughtful.

Michele