Can an I-864 SPONSOR claim unemployment insurance?

fk

Feb 28, 2004, 8:16:07 PM2/28/04
I was the SPONSOR for my wife's Affidavit of Support, for her
Adjustment of Status application.

Currently, she is a Conditional Permanent Resident. Recently, I lost
my job, and I was thinking abour filing for unemployment insurance.

Am I allowed to claim unemployment insurance when I am an I-864
sponsor? Will this affect my wife in any way?

mtravelkay

Feb 28, 2004, 8:31:57 PM2/28/04

fk wrote:

Yes, you are allowed to claim it. Even the immigrant can collect it if
they lose their job.
It is not a means tested benefit.

Additionally, since there is no additional need to qualify your income
to USCIS, you could collect welfare and it wouldn't affect your spouse's
green card. If you decide to submit income documentation, such as tax
returns, to USCIS in the future it would only be to help prove a valid
marriage (joint return..... although you are NOT required to file
jointly for USCIS to approve the I-751) or to prove that returns were
filed (naturalization requirement).. Nothing (with USCIS) in the future
will be used to verify your income is 125 percent of poverty level or
that you have received a means tested benefit.

mtravelkay

Feb 28, 2004, 8:35:04 PM2/28/04
mtravelkay wrote:

> fk wrote:
>
>> I was the SPONSOR for my wife's Affidavit of Support, for her
>> Adjustment of Status application.

I was wondering. Do you or TIGER know Kenneth Hand?

fk

Feb 29, 2004, 11:27:32 AM2/29/04
Thanks mtravelkay.