WTF is a VIDEO_RM Folder?

unclejr

Apr 6, 2004, 7:04:31 AM4/6/04
Hello NG,

I received a DVD+R from someone who used a Philips stand alone
recorder to author it. Inside the disc, there is the usual VIDEO_TS
folder, but instead of an AUDIO_TS folder, there is a VIDEO_RM
folder(!!).

I copied the VIDEO_TS folder to my hard drive, burned it to DVD-R, and
it plays fine on my Toshiba and APEX players. It also plays fine on
all of my computers. The WEIRD thing is that DVD Shrink pukes/errors
when trying to load the VIDEO_TS folder -- both the original DVD+R
disc and the DVD-R copy of the VIDEO_TS folder. Something about an
"invalid DVD navigation structure." I attempted to decrypt it with
DVDDecrypter (despite that the disc doesn't have CSS nor Macrovision,
but I thought it worth a shot), and still DVD Shrink brings up the
same error.

I've looked at dvdrhelp.com for some pointers, but there wasn't a
whole lot of useful information there. There is a warning that my
DVD-R copy may not play on a particular Pioneer player that plays
DVD-Audio and some Toshibas may not play it (although, as I said, my
Toshiba plays it fine). Other than that, there is normal banter as to
the putative utility of this folder.

My question: WTF is the purpose of the Philips stand alone recorder
putting this VIDEO_RM folder onto the DVD+Rs that it authors/burns?

TIA,

-Junior

Philip

Apr 6, 2004, 12:55:57 PM4/6/04

"unclejr" <wat...@kenyon.edu> wrote in message
Hi

The Video_RM folder is part of the video recording format that Philips
set-top recorders (and its clones) use. It isn't really required for +R
media, but is used anyway.

It only holds information used by the recorder and will be ignored by any
DVD Player.

The problem with Philips set-top recorders is that they are not 100%
compliant with the DVD Video format, and this is where your problems lay.

Others may have an easier route, but you you could use DVD Decrypter in File
mode, and with the resulting VOBs re-author back to DVD Video to remove all
the bad file formatting introduced by the set-top recorder.

The DVD-R gives you the same error as it contains a copy of all the errors
from the +R you copied from! It isn't a physical problem with the +R disc,
but a logical/application layer problem with how Philips records DVD Videos.

Regards

Philip

unclejr

Apr 7, 2004, 12:56:02 AM4/7/04
"Philip" <phi...@nospam.com> wrote...

> Others may have an easier route, but you you could use DVD Decrypter in File
> mode, and with the resulting VOBs re-author back to DVD Video to remove all
> the bad file formatting introduced by the set-top recorder.

Thanks, Philip! I fixed the VOBs with IfoEdit and that seems to have
cleared up the problem.

-Junior

zero

Apr 8, 2004, 8:15:29 AM4/8/04

Very informative answer

Can you recommend any make of set top recorders
that follow standards better and only use video_ts folders ?

e.g. are panasonic better in that respect ?

i'm interested in buying one but would like to
understand how to copy the set top dvds for normal dvd playback
before i purchase

thanks

"Philip" <phi...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Philip

Apr 8, 2004, 12:20:54 PM4/8/04

"zero" <zeroREM...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Very informative answer
>
> Can you recommend any make of set top recorders
> that follow standards better and only use video_ts folders ?
>
> e.g. are panasonic better in that respect ?
>
> i'm interested in buying one but would like to
> understand how to copy the set top dvds for normal dvd playback
> before i purchase
>
> thanks
Hi

+RW/R when used on set-top recorders is the only format to have non-standard
DVD Video recorded to it. Any recorder that uses DVD-R will record using
the correct DVD Video specification, this is because DVD-R is an official
DVD Forum format and the manufacturer must comply to the correct
specifications in order to use DVD-R. However it isn't too difficult to
copy from +RW/+R and in the process create a DVD Video disc on a PC using
either +R or DVD-R that is a 100% DVD Video for the very best compatibility.

DVD-RAM doesn't use the DVD Video format, and DVD-RW doesn't either by
default but does have an option too. Again these formats are easy to
convert on a PC.

While +R/+RW has some quirks, they generally play okay in DVD Players
(problems normally arise with scanning forward or backward or skipping
chapters rather than with normal playback). While a one-to-one copy will
have the same quirks as the original it will not be any worse off.

Regards

Philip

The Doctor

Apr 8, 2004, 12:20:58 PM4/8/04
In message <108142653...@eunomia.uk.clara.net>
"zero" <zeroREM...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Very informative answer
>
> Can you recommend any make of set top recorders
> that follow standards better and only use video_ts folders ?
>
> e.g. are panasonic better in that respect ?
>
> i'm interested in buying one but would like to
> understand how to copy the set top dvds for normal dvd playback
> before i purchase

Having had my Philips break 11days outside its warranty I bought a Sony
RDR GX3 recorder.
Very happy with it, not missed a beat so far.
Only drawback is that it doesn't have the editing abilities of the
Philips. A /small/ drawback.

Cheers!
--
Graham
The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk

BenGrimm99

Apr 8, 2004, 12:40:12 PM4/8/04
"unclejr" <wat...@kenyon.edu> wrote in message

Have you tried re-encoding with Instant Copy after using DVD Decrypter?
Generally works pretty well.

zero

Apr 8, 2004, 1:38:05 PM4/8/04

thanks again

"Philip" <phi...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Scott

Apr 10, 2004, 7:24:52 AM4/10/04
> Having had my Philips break 11days outside its warranty I bought a Sony
> RDR GX3 recorder.
> Very happy with it, not missed a beat so far.
> Only drawback is that it doesn't have the editing abilities of the
> Philips. A /small/ drawback.

My Dad is hoping to get the Sony RDR GX3 that you speak of and I have a
Philips 880 that's been sent away for repair!
I know what you mean when you say about the editing on the Philips unit, but
how DO they compare to the Sony?
What I mean is, what options are available on the Sony?
All in all, would you recommend the Sony?
Thanks, Scott

Lordy

Apr 15, 2004, 4:59:37 AM4/15/04
"Philip" <phi...@nospam.com> wrote in

>> I've looked at dvdrhelp.com for some pointers, but there wasn't a
>> whole lot of useful information there. There is a warning that my
>> DVD-R copy may not play on a particular Pioneer player that plays
>> DVD-Audio and some Toshibas may not play it (although, as I said, my
>> Toshiba plays it fine). Other than that, there is normal banter as
>> to the putative utility of this folder.
>>
>> My question: WTF is the purpose of the Philips stand alone recorder
>> putting this VIDEO_RM folder onto the DVD+Rs that it authors/burns?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
> Hi
>
> The Video_RM folder is part of the video recording format that Philips
> set-top recorders (and its clones) use. It isn't really required for
> +R media, but is used anyway.
>
> It only holds information used by the recorder and will be ignored by
> any DVD Player.
>
> The problem with Philips set-top recorders is that they are not 100%
> compliant with the DVD Video format, and this is where your problems
> lay.

Hmm. I've never seen this folder on my DVDs burned using a Philips
DVDR75 But A always use DVD+RW and the "make edits compatible" option.
Once I'm happy - I copy to DVD-R using the PC.

Maybe it only creates this folder with DVD+R discs?

Lordy

Philip

Apr 15, 2004, 11:47:42 AM4/15/04

"Lordy" <spam...@gmx.net> wrote in message

> "Philip" <phi...@nospam.com> wrote in
>

> Hmm. I've never seen this folder on my DVDs burned using a Philips
> DVDR75 But A always use DVD+RW and the "make edits compatible" option.
> Once I'm happy - I copy to DVD-R using the PC.
>
> Maybe it only creates this folder with DVD+R discs?
>
> Lordy

Hi

The Video_Rm folder is always there, check again (it may be a hidden
folder). Making edits compatible doesn't remove it.

Regards

Philip

Jan B

Apr 15, 2004, 12:25:34 PM4/15/04

The VIDEO_RM directory is there on my +RW discs, recorded by DVDR70
/021.
The directory and files stay there also after I make the disc
compatible.
/Jan

nn

Apr 16, 2004, 6:10:42 AM4/16/04
wat...@kenyon.edu (unclejr) wrote in message news:<139de3b3.0404...@posting.google.com>...

You said..............................

Thanks, Philip! I fixed the VOBs with IfoEdit and that seems to have
> cleared up the problem.

How did you do this as I have the same set-up & problem!

nn

Apr 16, 2004, 9:17:37 AM4/16/04
nos...@nospam.se (Jan B) wrote in message news:<407eb3e1.64812165@wingate>...

Looking for a little help on this issue. I can create films from my
DVD recorder on DVD+RW, but can't play this disk in my Toshiba
SD-P1200 portable player. When I load the DVD+RW into my NEC 1300a PC
DVDRW it can see both Video_RM & _TM directories. If I copy the TS
directory to my hard disk & then burn the RW via Nero 6 (UDF / ISO)
Mode, the RW media will play in the Toshiba, but stutters every 20
seconds during playback. I'm guessing this is due to me recording the
film in SP mode & due to my lack of knowledge not doing someting to
the file to convert this!!!!!

In short, can anyone advise what software and or what I can do to get
the player to work or at least stop the audio & video from stuttering.

NN