New to DVD burning - hopeless incompatibility!

dave @ stejonda

Sep 15, 2005, 5:45:23 AM9/15/05

I've just bought a new Evesham laptop and for the first time have a DVD
burner available to me. Evesham say it's a "Sony Slim Dual Layer 8x and
can write to all media except DVD-RAM". Naively perhaps I thought that
DVD writing technology had settled down by now and so bought 50
Datawrite Titanium 16 speed 4.7GB DVD-R blanks. None of them that I have
tried have been recognised by the drive. :(

Evesham TechSupp unhelpfully suggested that I should try another brand
of blank DVD but absolutely refused to tell me which brand might work. I
have now tried Sony DVD-R - the first one worked fine and burned at x8
speed. The second & third failed (rejecting the disks and stating they
were no longer blank when reinserted) and the fourth wrote at x2 speed
but only after the drive had made a lot of worrying (to me) scraping
sounds.

I'm using the pre-installed Roxio software.

Is this incompatibility and unreliability normal for DVD writing? Would
using Nero be likely to be any more successful? Is the drive perhaps
faulty? (Evesham said they would only send an engineer on-site if I
agreed to pay GBP117.5/hour if s/he found no hardware fault - the way
they worded the offer it sounded more like a threat!)

Would DVD+R be more successful?

Help!!!

--
dave @ stejonda

Beyond the farmyard the wind in the trees.

Atropos

Sep 15, 2005, 9:49:32 AM9/15/05

"dave @ stejonda" <nospamdele...@stejonda.freeuk.com> wrote in
message news:PeI4nmvz...@privacy.net...

Sony - ugh. I had a Sony a year ago, gave me nothing but trouble. I'd say
you couldd have big problems.....but.....

Really, we need to ascertain what drive you've got. There are several tools
for this. You can use Nero, if you don't have that, get DVD Decrypter(you'll
really want this anyway - you'll see, get it while you can as it's been
discontinued).

This will tell you what you've got and *hopefully* what level of firmware
you're at. There may be a firmware upgrade. Always recommended as I'm sure
you know, in most cases, improves writeability. You can also use DVDInfoPro
for this.

Datawrite Titaniums - these have mixed response. I bought 50, one coaster.
The next time, 10 coasters. I have a friend who swears by them.

I personally use only Ritek G05 dye on my DVDR. So in this case, I've
currently got RiDisc Extreme. (all available at www.svp.co.uk - cheaper,
good C.S.)

There's no point in you buying 16x, as you can only get 8x.

I personally use a combination of DVDShrink (DVD9 - DVD5), DVD Decrypter(for
ripping and burning) and Nero(burning). The first two ARE discontinued, so
you may need to google about to find them. Guides to use them are on
www.videohelp.com

DVD+R - well these are a little more stable, but would your standalone DVD
Player support them? They tend to be a little more expensive as well.

dave @ stejonda

Sep 16, 2005, 4:24:19 AM9/16/05
In message <dgbu5e$oqp$1...@news.freedom2surf.net>, Atropos
<davewhi...@spamnoyahoo.com> writes

>"dave @ stejonda" <nospamdele...@stejonda.freeuk.com> wrote in
>message news:PeI4nmvz...@privacy.net...
>>
>> I've just bought a new Evesham laptop and for the first time have a DVD
>> burner available to me. Evesham say it's a "Sony Slim Dual Layer 8x and
>> can write to all media except DVD-RAM". Naively perhaps I thought that DVD
>> writing technology had settled down by now and so bought 50 Datawrite
>> Titanium 16 speed 4.7GB DVD-R blanks. None of them that I have tried have
>> been recognised by the drive. :(
<>

>> I'm using the pre-installed Roxio software.
>>
>> Is this incompatibility and unreliability normal for DVD writing? Would
>> using Nero be likely to be any more successful? Is the drive perhaps
>> faulty? (Evesham said they would only send an engineer on-site if I agreed
>> to pay GBP117.5/hour if s/he found no hardware fault - the way they worded
>> the offer it sounded more like a threat!)
>>
>> Would DVD+R be more successful?
>
>Really, we need to ascertain what drive you've got.
<>
>There may be a firmware upgrade. Always recommended as I'm sure
>you know, in most cases, improves writeability. You can also use DVDInfoPro
>for this.

Nice prog - thanks. The drive is DVD RW DW-D56a with a firmware revision
of PYS1.

Google found http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=128946 which left
me even more confused & wondering whether I should just leave well
alone. :-/

Should I expect to get the latest firmware revision for this drive from
the Sony or LiteOn sites?

>Datawrite Titaniums - these have mixed response. I bought 50, one coaster.
>The next time, 10 coasters. I have a friend who swears by them.

Hmmm. DVDInfoPro recognises the Titaniums in the drive whereas the Roxio
s/w doesn't. Madness! :(

>I personally use only Ritek G05 dye on my DVDR. So in this case, I've
>currently got RiDisc Extreme. (all available at www.svp.co.uk - cheaper,
>good C.S.)
>
>There's no point in you buying 16x, as you can only get 8x.

Well, they were the same price and SVP are only listing their RiDisc
Extremes as 16x speed now. Incidentally, SVP don't mention G05 dye in
their RiDisc Extreme listing but do warn that since they use new dye
them may not be easily compatible.

>I personally use a combination of DVDShrink (DVD9 - DVD5), DVD Decrypter(for
>ripping and burning) and Nero(burning). The first two ARE discontinued, so
>you may need to google about to find them. Guides to use them are on
>www.videohelp.com
>
>DVD+R - well these are a little more stable, but would your standalone DVD
>Player support them? They tend to be a little more expensive as well.

At the moment I'm just looking to back up data to DVDs so extra
stability would be welcome but I think I'll persist with DVD-R at the
moment.

Atropos

Sep 16, 2005, 5:25:08 AM9/16/05
>>Really, we need to ascertain what drive you've got.
> <>
>>There may be a firmware upgrade. Always recommended as I'm sure
>>you know, in most cases, improves writeability. You can also use
>>DVDInfoPro
>>for this.
>
> Nice prog - thanks. The drive is DVD RW DW-D56a with a firmware revision
> of PYS1.

The latest revision appears to be PFS3. (I checked this at www.rpc1.com)
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=14&manufactor=30
There's also a RPC1 hack.

> Should I expect to get the latest firmware revision for this drive from
> the Sony or LiteOn sites?

Sony. However, ask the lads at forums.rpc1.org . That's what they're there
for!

>>Datawrite Titaniums - these have mixed response. I bought 50, one coaster.
>>The next time, 10 coasters. I have a friend who swears by them.
>
> Hmmm. DVDInfoPro recognises the Titaniums in the drive whereas the Roxio
> s/w doesn't. Madness! :(

Sounds like Roxio may be a bit flakey....

>>I personally use only Ritek G05 dye on my DVDR. So in this case, I've
>>currently got RiDisc Extreme. (all available at www.svp.co.uk - cheaper,
>>good C.S.)
>>
>>There's no point in you buying 16x, as you can only get 8x.
>
> Well, they were the same price and SVP are only listing their RiDisc
> Extremes as 16x speed now. Incidentally, SVP don't mention G05 dye in
> their RiDisc Extreme listing but do warn that since they use new dye them
> may not be easily compatible.

They are listing both - 16x(25 pack) 8x(50 pack) Both listed as Ritek.

> At the moment I'm just looking to back up data to DVDs so extra stability
> would be welcome but I think I'll persist with DVD-R at the moment.

Then DVD+R would be better for backup.

dave @ stejonda

Sep 16, 2005, 5:14:13 AM9/16/05
In message <Fmo6p2$zEoK...@privacy.net>, "dave @ stejonda"
<nospamdele...@stejonda.freeuk.com> writes

>>Datawrite Titaniums - these have mixed response. I bought 50, one coaster.
>>The next time, 10 coasters. I have a friend who swears by them.
>
>Hmmm. DVDInfoPro recognises the Titaniums in the drive whereas the
>Roxio s/w doesn't. Madness! :(

Sorry for following up to my own post but I just tried to burn to a
Datawrite Titanium again and got this "Write Error - Illegal Request."
[05/27/00] as it started to burn (it 'Test Burn's Ok).

Wtf could that mean!!! ???

dave @ stejonda

Sep 16, 2005, 6:17:50 AM9/16/05
In message <dge31o$go9$1...@news.freedom2surf.net>, Atropos
<davewhi...@spamnoyahoo.com> writes

>The latest revision appears to be PFS3. (I checked this at www.rpc1.com)
>http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=14&manufactor=30
>There's also a RPC1 hack.
>

>> Should I expect to get the latest firmware revision for this drive from
>> the Sony or LiteOn sites?
>>>

>Sony. However, ask the lads at forums.rpc1.org . That's what they're there
>for!

Never come across that site before. :-/

PFS3 installed and Roxio currently writing to a Datawrite Titanium at
4.1x. Hooray!!!

>Sounds like Roxio may be a bit flakey....

Not wanting to give Evesham too many reasons to say 'you brokeit not us'
sticking with what they provided. :)

>>>I personally use only Ritek G05 dye on my DVDR.

>They are listing both - 16x(25 pack) 8x(50 pack) Both listed as Ritek.

Ahhh - okey.

>> At the moment I'm just looking to back up data to DVDs so extra stability
>> would be welcome but I think I'll persist with DVD-R at the moment.
>>
>Then DVD+R would be better for backup.

Noted - but I'm currently really happy that I don't have to waste 50
Datawrites.

Many Thanks for your help Atropos. Have you considered a career in
techsupp? :)

Atropos

Sep 16, 2005, 9:46:09 AM9/16/05

> Many Thanks for your help Atropos. Have you considered a career in
> techsupp? :)

Funnily enough - 5 years UNIX Admin support/Desktop support.

All this stuff with burners and that though, you have to pick it up from the
forums and groups...it's a minefield

I would suggest though downloading these fine programs:

DVD Shrink
DVD Decrypter
DVD Fab Decrypter

You'll see the benefits ;-)