Toshiba: Strong start to HD DVD

Allan

Apr 19, 2006, 8:54:31 PM4/19/06
http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA6325556

“We are filling the pipeline to retailers across the U.S.,” Sally
said.

Toshiba’s players should be stocked in about 800 Best Buy stores, 200
Wal-Mart stores, 600 Sears stores and other regional retailers for a
total reach of 3,000 stores, she said.

“We’ve heard very positive sales reports so far,” Sally said.

Toshiba hasn’t released how many players it is shipping, but
distributors and retailers said they’ve heard estimates of 10,000 to
15,000 in the initial shipment.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Message has been deleted

Allan

Apr 20, 2006, 3:49:42 PM4/20/06
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:30:40 -0700, "Richard C."
<post...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>Which means only 3 to 5 per store.
>Big deal!

Just the first weekend ........ the revolution is just starting!

Message has been deleted

Allan

Apr 21, 2006, 12:39:05 AM4/21/06
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:56:06 -0700, "Richard C."
<post...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>"Allan" <Spamsu...@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb.org> wrote in
>message news:hdpf421pumam8cv2m...@4ax.com...

>> On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:30:40 -0700, "Richard C."
>> <post...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Which means only 3 to 5 per store.
>>>Big deal!
>>

>> Just the first weekend ........ the revolution is just starting!
>>

>==========================
>We shall see.......................
>I am a usual "early adaptor", but not this time.
>
>=========================

Me, all over it.... Like the "upconverting" of existing DVD's with
the new player.... But to be honest, certainly will not grow my
collection of HD DVD's like I did when DVD first came out.

Suspect I am not alone on that.

Jeff Rife

Apr 21, 2006, 2:43:35 AM4/21/06
Allan (Spamsu...@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb.org) wrote in alt.video.dvd:

> >We shall see.......................
> >I am a usual "early adaptor", but not this time.
>
> Me, all over it.... Like the "upconverting" of existing DVD's with
> the new player....

How is it any different from current upconverting DVD players? Since
I've got quite a few of those lying around, and you can buy one for
$150, the extra $350 for the HD-DVD player is an awful lot to pay if
all you care about is upconverting existing DVDs.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/BigDogs.gif

Bill's News

Apr 21, 2006, 3:14:01 PM4/21/06
Jeff Rife wrote:
> Allan (Spamsu...@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb.org) wrote
> in
> alt.video.dvd:
>>> We shall see.......................
>>> I am a usual "early adaptor", but not this time.
>>
>> Me, all over it.... Like the "upconverting" of existing DVD's with
>> the new player....
>
> How is it any different from current upconverting DVD players?
> Since
> I've got quite a few of those lying around, and you can buy one for
> $150, the extra $350 for the HD-DVD player is an awful lot to pay if
> all you care about is upconverting existing DVDs.

I'm having a semantic attack regarding "upconvert."

I have installed here a 1920x1080(p) monitor, a cable HD-VR
(Motorola), and a Buffalo LT DVD player - both connected via component
input. The monitor uses all 1080 pixels from either source.

The Buffalo manual specifically states that it is enjoined from
"upconverting" DVDs by the DVD Consortium's and MPAA's legislative
powers. However, all 1080 vertical pixels are employed in displaying
a properly scaled picture from a DVD.

What is different about the player's behavior, when playing DVDs vs.
playing videos stored on a PC drive, is the ZOOM function. When
playing a DVD, the BLT zoom has 4 increments of unstated percentages.
When playing a PC file, zoom has 3 settings - "actual size," "fit to
screen," and "full screen." Wherein, "actual size" is presented in
the unscaled size (720x480, say), "fit to screen" is scaled sensibly
to the first edge which abuts a screen edge, and "full screen" scales
to the farther edge (while retaining aspect).

For all but 16:9 source materials, it's actually more visually
pleasing to play videos from the PC drives - as the scaling options
makes more sense than the monitor's single scaling option best
referred to as S-T-R-E-T-C-H and the Motorola's total lack of scaling
options.

As the BLT player does NOT play authored DVDs from the PC's hard or
optical drive, it's necessary to rip the DVD and remove any ancillary
audio to achieve this. According to the BLT manual the player is not
enjoined from upconverting these images. Yet, I see no difference
between the same DVD played from the PC or the original disc? Both of
which are excellent images, BTW.

Now, when I compare 640x480 analogue feeds over the cable, with
640x480 digital feeds, and HDTV of ????x???? feeds, there is a
significant difference in image quality. Are we suggesting that an
"upconverter" placed between the cable box and the monitor would
improve picture quality of the lower definition sources?

It seems to me that "upconverting" should mean something more than
merely scaling the image to the best fit on the screen, but damned if
I can tell what that is?

Can you tell me, Jeff, or anyone for that matter, what upconverting
does for you?

Jeff Rife

Apr 22, 2006, 12:53:39 AM4/22/06
Bill's News (Bill...@pcmagic.net) wrote in alt.video.dvd:

> Are we suggesting that an
> "upconverter" placed between the cable box and the monitor would
> improve picture quality of the lower definition sources?

Without a doubt.

I've been watching the "Babylon 5" DVDs lately, and they look pretty bad
at 480i due to the way they were mastered (there are many threads about
this if you want more info). But, *all* the issues disappear when viewing
output at 1080i. All the upconversion I do has access to the original MPEG
data, though, so that might be a difference.

--
Jeff Rife | "Because he was human; because he had goodness;
| because he was moral they called him insane.
| Delusions of grandeur; visions of splendor;
| A manic-depressive, he walks in the rain."
| -- Rush, "Cinderella Man"

Allan

Apr 22, 2006, 11:39:52 AM4/22/06
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 02:43:35 -0400, Jeff Rife <we...@nabs.net> wrote:

>Allan (Spamsu...@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb.org) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> >We shall see.......................
>> >I am a usual "early adaptor", but not this time.
>>
>> Me, all over it.... Like the "upconverting" of existing DVD's with
>> the new player....
>
>How is it any different from current upconverting DVD players? Since
>I've got quite a few of those lying around, and you can buy one for
>$150, the extra $350 for the HD-DVD player is an awful lot to pay if
>all you care about is upconverting existing DVDs.

Reviews that I have read state that it "is" better than existing
upconverting DVD players.... and it saves me from having two
machines... just gave away my Sony Upconverting DVD Player because the
Toshiba will do the same thing, and maybe a somewhat better job. My
TV only has so many inputs!

Bill's News

Apr 22, 2006, 2:53:39 PM4/22/06
Jeff Rife wrote:
> Bill's News (Bill...@pcmagic.net) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> Are we suggesting that an
>> "upconverter" placed between the cable box and the monitor would
>> improve picture quality of the lower definition sources?
>
> Without a doubt.
>
> I've been watching the "Babylon 5" DVDs lately, and they look pretty
> bad at 480i due to the way they were mastered (there are many
> threads
> about this if you want more info). But, *all* the issues disappear
> when viewing output at 1080i. All the upconversion I do has access
> to the original MPEG data, though, so that might be a difference.

Thanks Jeff. By "original MPEG data," I presume you mean DVDs? But
your response seems to indicate that broadcast SD TV will benefit from
a converter, so I'm browsing now.

Logos

Apr 22, 2006, 8:13:49 PM4/22/06

> Reviews that I have read state that it "is" better than existing
> upconverting DVD players....

List the reviews.

Allan

Apr 22, 2006, 8:50:03 PM4/22/06

Sure.

"23. I have been playing with my HD-A1 for a while now. The
upconverting is phenomenal, some of the best I've ever seen."

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/18/toshiba-hd-a1-hd-dvd-player-gets-hands-on-treatment/

"The Toshiba actually offers a slightly more detailed and sharper
image than my Sony 9100ES. Colors and blacks are about equal (The Sony
might have a bit better color rendition, but they are very close).
Prior to this point, I speculated than Toshiba's effort would strictly
be poured into the actual HD performance. Needless to say, my Sony
9100ES went on eBay last night."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=668019

"We tried the upconversion playing a regular dvd as well and it looked
a little better than other upconverting non-HD players i've seen. I
cant say it looked as good as true Hd source DVD but is was more than
acceptable."

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/Toshiba-HD-A1-HD-DVD-Player-Movies-1080i-ftopict50775.html

Three enough?

Allan

Apr 23, 2006, 12:01:29 AM4/23/06
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:13:49 -0700, "Logos" <no...@none.net> wrote:

Oh yeah... forgot to say 'hello' Alpha.

Jeff Rife

Apr 22, 2006, 5:28:28 PM4/22/06
> >How is it any different from current upconverting DVD players? Since
> >I've got quite a few of those lying around, and you can buy one for
> >$150, the extra $350 for the HD-DVD player is an awful lot to pay if
> >all you care about is upconverting existing DVDs.
>
> Reviews that I have read state that it "is" better than existing
> upconverting DVD players....

I find that unlikely. Anything they do in the way of processing for
upconversion is available to standard DVD players.

> and it saves me from having two
> machines...

This, I agree with. If you don't have either, then the extra $350
*might* be OK if you are truly interested in HD movies. But, if you
already have one, I wouldn't rush out and get an HD player...they'll
drop a *lot* in price in just the first year, and by that time, there
will be a lot more movies, too.

--
Jeff Rife | "My God, what if the secret ingredient is people?"
| "No, there's already a soda like that: Soylent Cola."
| "Oh. How is it?"
| "It varies from person to person."
| -- Fry and Leela, "Futurama"

Jeff Rife

Apr 22, 2006, 5:30:48 PM4/22/06
Bill's News (Bill...@pcmagic.net) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> Thanks Jeff. By "original MPEG data," I presume you mean DVDs?

Yes. We are generally talking about upconverting DVD players, and
having the extra info available with the raw MPEG can help.

> But
> your response seems to indicate that broadcast SD TV will benefit from
> a converter, so I'm browsing now.

Maybe. It absolutely will when it becomes available as digital TV
and you can get access to the raw MPEG-2 data. But, analog->digital->
upconvert is quite expensive to do well. The MyHD card does it good
enough for me, since I only need to do that sort of thing a couple of
times a month.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/TokenRing.gif

Mutley

Apr 26, 2006, 5:18:43 AM4/26/06
Allan <Spamsu...@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb.org> wrote:

>>> Me, all over it.... Like the "upconverting" of existing DVD's with
>>> the new player....
>>
>>How is it any different from current upconverting DVD players? Since
>>I've got quite a few of those lying around, and you can buy one for
>>$150, the extra $350 for the HD-DVD player is an awful lot to pay if
>>all you care about is upconverting existing DVDs.
>
>Reviews that I have read state that it "is" better than existing
>upconverting DVD players.... and it saves me from having two
>machines... just gave away my Sony Upconverting DVD Player because the
>Toshiba will do the same thing, and maybe a somewhat better job. My
>TV only has so many inputs!

http://www.projectorcentral.com/hd-dvd.htm

HD-DVD: It's Here, and it's Spectacular
Evan Powell, April 21, 2006
ProjectorCentral.com

Tuesday, April 18, 2006, was official launch day in the USA for the
new high definition DVD format known as HD-DVD, and the first HD-DVD
player, the Toshiba HD-A1. I don't know how it went around the
country, but here in Las Vegas most retailers weren't quite ready.
Nevertheless, with a few phone calls we were able to track one down,
along with three initial release discs裕he Last Samurai, Serenity, and
The Phantom of the Opera. We've been playing with it for the last few
days, and I am happy to report our first experiences with it.

Allan

Apr 28, 2006, 11:29:49 AM4/28/06
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:28:28 -0400, Jeff Rife <we...@nabs.net> wrote:

>Allan (Spamsu...@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb.org) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> >How is it any different from current upconverting DVD players? Since
>> >I've got quite a few of those lying around, and you can buy one for
>> >$150, the extra $350 for the HD-DVD player is an awful lot to pay if
>> >all you care about is upconverting existing DVDs.
>>
>> Reviews that I have read state that it "is" better than existing
>> upconverting DVD players....
>
>I find that unlikely. Anything they do in the way of processing for
>upconversion is available to standard DVD players.

Jeff.... did you see these?

"23. I have been playing with my HD-A1 for a while now. The
upconverting is phenomenal, some of the best I've ever seen."

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/18/toshiba-hd-a1-hd-dvd-player-gets-hands-on-treatment/

"The Toshiba actually offers a slightly more detailed and sharper
image than my Sony 9100ES. Colors and blacks are about equal (The Sony
might have a bit better color rendition, but they are very close).
Prior to this point, I speculated than Toshiba's effort would strictly
be poured into the actual HD performance. Needless to say, my Sony
9100ES went on eBay last night."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=668019

"We tried the upconversion playing a regular dvd as well and it looked
a little better than other upconverting non-HD players i've seen. I
cant say it looked as good as true Hd source DVD but is was more than
acceptable."

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/Toshiba-HD-A1-HD-DVD-Player-Movies-1080i-ftopict50775.html

>> and it saves me from having two

>> machines...
>
>This, I agree with. If you don't have either, then the extra $350
>*might* be OK if you are truly interested in HD movies. But, if you
>already have one, I wouldn't rush out and get an HD player...they'll
>drop a *lot* in price in just the first year, and by that time, there
>will be a lot more movies, too.

It is always more espensive to jump on board early, but I don't mind
to be honest. It's fun!

Jeff Rife

Apr 28, 2006, 12:50:11 PM4/28/06
> >> Reviews that I have read state that it "is" better than existing
> >> upconverting DVD players....
> >
> >I find that unlikely. Anything they do in the way of processing for
> >upconversion is available to standard DVD players.
>
> Jeff.... did you see these?

What part of "anything they do in the way of processing for upconversion
is available to standard DVD players" don't you understand?

The newest _________ (fill in the blank) always has the latest features.
In this case, it's easy to add every feature that an HD-DVD player has
concerning DVD playback into an upconverting DVD player. So, tomorrow,
those features will be available in a $100 DVD player.

> [snip]

Stop posting the same three references over and over. I'm sure anybody
that wanted to could find reviews that go the other way, particularly
when compared to really good upconverting DVD players (hint...none of
them are CE devices).

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/FoxTrot/TransporterError.jpg

Bill's News

Apr 28, 2006, 3:11:03 PM4/28/06

It's becoming slightly clearer now. Equipment: Westinghouse 42" 1080p
monitor, cable co. supplied Motorola H-DVR (1080i), Buffalo LT
DVD/Network video player (1080i), 2gp4 - 512 - 720 GB tower equipped
with Hauppauge 250 (or USB2) capture @ 480i.

While the BLT manual states that DVD upconvert is disabled, this is
clearly not true - as I doubt it is possible to get better picture
quality via component output than it does now from DVDs!! (sadly, I've
discovered that I had bought some "letter-box" DVDs some years ago,
which actually look quite silly on the wide screen monitor, and can
not be properly scaled with the equipment on hand).

The Motorola H-DVR will display great HDTV broadcast images, and
replays of them from its HDD, but it apparently does not upconvert
480i - thus those broadcasts have a relatively washed out appearance
for digital (which may be 480p??), more so for analog channels, and
even more so when I instruct the player that no 720p nor 1080i is
available over the component output leads.

There is also no question that the BLT does indeed upconvert any video
it plays from the networked PCs.

OK, so I can capture MPEG2 SDTV via S-Video from the cable box and its
payback, via the BLT component out, is actually better visual quality
than the same material coming from the cable box. However, when
playing videos from the LAN, the BLT only scales (zooms) within the
source frame, thus 480i/p letter-boxed captures can not be made full
screen. Both the BLT and Westinghouse fill-screen "zoom" is
ludicrous, as it stretches rather than over-scans. Whereas, the BLT
DVD zoom is almost perfect, at level 1, for example, scaling 2.25 to
~1.75 (barely overscanned vertically and trimmed at both sides).

Ah! But - convert the 480i MPEG2 captures to 16:9 cropped xvid/AVI (at
decent quality codec settings) and the image created by the BLT rivals
the image from a DVD, while also fitting the screen properly without
further ado.

Now this is not the final word - as I'm not yet using DVI to the
monitor (presently only available from the Motorola box), so I don't
know whether the monitor has any "upconversion" capabilities of its
own - none is claimed nor denied in its accompanying documentation.

Rating the experience personally of switching from SDTV to HDTV: about
4 out of 10 at this time. Not because HDTV isn't vastly superior to
SDTV, but because programming for it is rarely interesting (to me) and
the "magic" required to get the most out of the display is just that -
MAGIC!!

Upconvert is obviously different from scaling in that an image which
uses all 1080 rows of the display (properly scaled) looks measurably
better when presented via an "upconverter."

In the equipment I've listed here, upconversion seems to be needed
only in non-HDTV programming coming from the cable converter (Motorola
H-DVR) when playing non-HDTV digital or analog sources. If this is
not overcome by enabling the DVI out of that unit, then a converted
between it and the monitor would be my next step.

At any rate, how is the average DVD, or cable TV, customer supposed to
cope with all this technophilia just because they bought an HDTV??
While I've only been exploring this for 2 weeks, and have all the time
that retirement allows for this, the vast majority of customers simply
want to be able to plug in the equipment and get good results!!

Jeff Rife

Apr 28, 2006, 8:20:23 PM4/28/06
Bill's News (Bill...@pcmagic.net) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> However, when
> playing videos from the LAN, the BLT only scales (zooms) within the
> source frame, thus 480i/p letter-boxed captures can not be made full
> screen. Both the BLT and Westinghouse fill-screen "zoom" is
> ludicrous, as it stretches rather than over-scans. Whereas, the BLT
> DVD zoom is almost perfect, at level 1, for example, scaling 2.25 to
> ~1.75 (barely overscanned vertically and trimmed at both sides).

For more options for playing over a LAN, you could look at a Roku
PhotoBridge. It's what I use for day-to-day playback of HD recordings.

--
Jeff Rife | "Grab a shovel...I'm only one skull
| short of a Mouseketeer reunion."
|
| -- Bender, "Futurama"

Allan

Apr 30, 2006, 8:22:01 PM4/30/06
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:50:11 GMT, Jeff Rife <we...@nabs.net> wrote:

>> >I find that unlikely. Anything they do in the way of processing for
>> >upconversion is available to standard DVD players.
>>
>> Jeff.... did you see these?
>
>What part of "anything they do in the way of processing for upconversion
>is available to standard DVD players" don't you understand?

So... all upconverting DVD's are EXACTLY THE SAME. Interesting.

My point was a pretty simple one, early reviews say it's great
upconverting machine, and just another reason to buy it.

>Stop posting the same three references over and over.

Posted them once because I was asked to provide proof... and the
second time because I didn't think you read them.

Still don't.

> I'm sure anybody
>that wanted to could find reviews that go the other way,

Yeah... lets see them.

Jeff Rife

Apr 30, 2006, 9:50:16 PM4/30/06
> >What part of "anything they do in the way of processing for upconversion
> >is available to standard DVD players" don't you understand?
>
> So... all upconverting DVD's are EXACTLY THE SAME. Interesting.

Boy, you just can't read, can you?

If they are doing something "new" and "special" in the HD-DVD players
for upconvert, it will be available in a few months in a standard DVD
player that upconverts.

> >Stop posting the same three references over and over.
>
> Posted them once because I was asked to provide proof... and the
> second time because I didn't think you read them.

I read three snippets where one guy says it's "some of the best I've
ever seen" with nothing as a reference. So, he's saying it's not crap,
which is what I would expect from a $500 upconverting DVD player.

Then, we have one guy comparing it to a Sony 9100ES, which is definitely
nowhere near the best upconversion (although it is good).

Last, we have this glowing endorsement:

"...looked a little better than other upconverting non-HD players

i've seen. I cant say it looked as good as true Hd source DVD but
is was more than acceptable."

Wow, get out my checkbook.

>> I'm sure anybody
>> that wanted to could find reviews that go the other way,
>
> Yeah... lets see them.

How about *every* one of those reviews you listed and the quality of
upconversion over component video? Since the HD-A1 doesn't do it at
all, there are many, many upconverting DVD players that look a lot
better.

Again, if you read around AVS Forum, you'll see that nobody who is
serious about getting quality from upconverting DVDs will use a CE player
to do so.

--
Jeff Rife | "What kind of universe is this where a man can't
| love his fake wife's mother's best friend?"
|
| -- Ned Dorsey, "Ned and Stacey"

Allan

May 1, 2006, 7:18:02 AM5/1/06
On Mon, 01 May 2006 01:50:16 GMT, Jeff Rife <we...@nabs.net> wrote:

>Allan (Spamsu...@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb.org) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> >What part of "anything they do in the way of processing for upconversion
>> >is available to standard DVD players" don't you understand?
>>
>> So... all upconverting DVD's are EXACTLY THE SAME. Interesting.
>
>Boy, you just can't read, can you?
>
>If they are doing something "new" and "special" in the HD-DVD players
>for upconvert, it will be available in a few months in a standard DVD
>player that upconverts.

Yeah.... I can read just fine.

Like when you replied with this:

">and it saves me from having two machines...

This, I agree with. "

So why another machine that 'may' have these improvements that 'could'
be available in a few months matters to this discussion is lost on me.

>I read three snippets where one guy says it's "some of the best I've
>ever seen" with nothing as a reference. So, he's saying it's not crap,
>which is what I would expect from a $500 upconverting DVD player.
>
>Then, we have one guy comparing it to a Sony 9100ES, which is definitely
>nowhere near the best upconversion (although it is good).

Well at least we agree that not all unconverting DVD players are the
same.

>Last, we have this glowing endorsement:
>
> "...looked a little better than other upconverting non-HD players
> i've seen. I cant say it looked as good as true Hd source DVD but
> is was more than acceptable."
>
>Wow, get out my checkbook.

Well if you want a HD DVD player that does a fine job at unconverting
you just might.

>>> I'm sure anybody
>>> that wanted to could find reviews that go the other way,
>>
>> Yeah... lets see them.
>
>How about *every* one of those reviews you listed and the quality of
>upconversion over component video? Since the HD-A1 doesn't do it at
>all, there are many, many upconverting DVD players that look a lot
>better.
>
>Again, if you read around AVS Forum, you'll see that nobody who is
>serious about getting quality from upconverting DVDs will use a CE player
>to do so.

Actually anyone that is "serious" about upconverting would use a
'scaler' in the their home theatre system.

Jeff Rife

May 1, 2006, 9:50:15 AM5/1/06
> >If they are doing something "new" and "special" in the HD-DVD players
> >for upconvert, it will be available in a few months in a standard DVD
> >player that upconverts.
>
> Yeah.... I can read just fine.
>
> Like when you replied with this:
>
> ">and it saves me from having two machines...
>
> This, I agree with. "
>
> So why another machine that 'may' have these improvements that 'could'
> be available in a few months matters to this discussion is lost on me.

What improvements? There was nothing specific in any of those reviews
other than "it looks good", which is expected. There were no comparisons
against the very best upconversion systems.

> >Last, we have this glowing endorsement:
> >
> > "...looked a little better than other upconverting non-HD players
> > i've seen. I cant say it looked as good as true Hd source DVD but
> > is was more than acceptable."
> >
> >Wow, get out my checkbook.
>
> Well if you want a HD DVD player that does a fine job at unconverting
> you just might.

"Looked a little better" equals "fine job" to you? This is why I don't
think you can read very well.

> >Again, if you read around AVS Forum, you'll see that nobody who is
> >serious about getting quality from upconverting DVDs will use a CE player
> >to do so.
>
> Actually anyone that is "serious" about upconverting would use a
> 'scaler' in the their home theatre system.

All upconversion is "scaling"...duh. But, it's best not to do it after
you lose access to the MPEG-2 data. Good external scalers do a fine
job and can be applied to all outputs, but cost a *lot* of money to do
it very well. It's much cheaper and better to do it inside the player,
and that's what serious people do...they just don't use CE players.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/AntiqueOS.gif

Allan

May 1, 2006, 4:03:22 PM5/1/06
On Mon, 01 May 2006 13:50:15 GMT, Jeff Rife <we...@nabs.net> wrote:

>> So why another machine that 'may' have these improvements that 'could'
>> be available in a few months matters to this discussion is lost on me.
>
>What improvements? There was nothing specific in any of those reviews
>other than "it looks good", which is expected. There were no comparisons
>against the very best upconversion systems.

And where are those 'easy to find' reviews saying that it does a worse
job?

No one said it looked "a little better"... in fact:

"I have been playing with my HD-A1 for a while now. The upconverting

is phenomenal, some of the best I've ever seen."

>This is why I don't
>think you can read very well.

You seem to skip over a few things yourself.

>> >Again, if you read around AVS Forum, you'll see that nobody who is
>> >serious about getting quality from upconverting DVDs will use a CE player
>> >to do so.
>>
>> Actually anyone that is "serious" about upconverting would use a
>> 'scaler' in the their home theatre system.
>
>All upconversion is "scaling"...duh.

No shit sherlock.

>But, it's best not to do it after
>you lose access to the MPEG-2 data. Good external scalers do a fine
>job and can be applied to all outputs, but cost a *lot* of money to do
>it very well. It's much cheaper and better to do it inside the player,
>and that's what serious people do...they just don't use CE players.

Not all Scalers are created equal, and "serious" folks don't mind
spending the $$$.... for me, just don't have the system to justify it.

From your favorite forum:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-231085.html

"Better off investing in a scaler/deinterlacer than getting an
upconverting dvd player"

Nuff said.

Jeff Rife

May 1, 2006, 5:20:19 PM5/1/06
> >> Well if you want a HD DVD player that does a fine job at unconverting
> >> you just might.
> >
> >"Looked a little better" equals "fine job" to you?
>
> No one said it looked "a little better"

OK, so now you can't even read what *you* posted:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.video.dvd/msg/a4d9aa33998fec8

> "We tried the upconversion playing a regular dvd as well and it looked

> a little better than other upconverting non-HD players i've seen. I
> cant say it looked as good as true Hd source DVD but is was more than
> acceptable."
>

> http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/Toshiba-HD-A1-HD-DVD-Player-Movies-1080i-ftopict50775.html

--
Jeff Rife | "I feel an intense ambivalence, some of which
| doesn't border entirely on the negative."

Allan

May 2, 2006, 8:21:55 AM5/2/06
On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:20:19 GMT, Jeff Rife <we...@nabs.net> wrote:

>> >"Looked a little better" equals "fine job" to you?
>>
>> No one said it looked "a little better"
>
>OK, so now you can't even read what *you* posted:

Congrats..... ya got me!

Still waiting:

"I'm sure anybody that wanted to could find reviews that go the other
way,"

Jeff Rife

May 2, 2006, 11:20:16 AM5/2/06
> Still waiting:
>
> "I'm sure anybody that wanted to could find reviews that go the other
> way,"

Still missed the fact that every review doesn't like the upconversion
over component of the HD-A1?

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/BrokenInternet01.gif

Allan

May 2, 2006, 3:56:11 PM5/2/06
On Tue, 02 May 2006 15:20:16 GMT, Jeff Rife <we...@nabs.net> wrote:

>Still missed the fact that every review doesn't like the upconversion
>over component of the HD-A1?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=128

"I configured the player to output 480p via HDMI and component video.
De-interlacing performance was identical with both outputs. "

"It retains the full video signal using the component video outputs.
Both outputs are essentially identical in any other respect though."

Jeff Rife

May 2, 2006, 9:50:17 PM5/2/06
> >Still missed the fact that every review doesn't like the upconversion
> >over component of the HD-A1?
>
> http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=128
>
> "I configured the player to output 480p via HDMI and component video.
> De-interlacing performance was identical with both outputs. "

480p isn't upconversion. Wake me when the HD-A1 can output DVDs at
720p or 1080i over component. Until then, please keep your silly noise
to yourself.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/TechSupport.gif

Roy L. Fuchs

May 3, 2006, 12:17:37 AM5/3/06
On Tue, 02 May 2006 08:21:55 -0400, Allan
<Spamsu...@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb.org> Gave us:

SNIP

The proof that you are an utter Usenet retard is evident in the
"e-mail" you list here. I dislike you a great deal, but I don't play
10 year old baby bullshit games with my Usenet posts and headers to
make an immature non-point like you do, retard boy.

You are as bad as the PhilTard AussieTard over in the electronics
newsgroups.

Allan

May 6, 2006, 10:27:56 AM5/6/06

@urfargingicehole.org Now that is funny.

>I dislike you a great deal, but I don't play
>10 year old baby bullshit games with my Usenet posts and headers to
>make an immature non-point like you do, retard boy.

Didn't I tell you to get the fuck out of this newsgroup a few months
ago???

It is time for you to leave.

Allan

May 6, 2006, 10:37:48 AM5/6/06
On Wed, 03 May 2006 01:50:17 GMT, Jeff Rife <we...@nabs.net> wrote:

> Until then, please keep your silly noise to yourself.

Still waiting:

"I'm sure anybody that wanted to could find reviews that go the other
way,"

Jeff Rife

May 6, 2006, 3:20:17 PM5/6/06
> Still waiting:
>
> "I'm sure anybody that wanted to could find reviews that go the other
> way,"

Still waiting for you to be able to comprehend English so that you can
understand the existing reviews are not as glowing as you claim they
are. Get back to me when you get your GED.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/BrokenInternet02.gif

Roy L. Fuchs

May 6, 2006, 4:24:35 PM5/6/06
On Sat, 06 May 2006 10:27:56 -0400, Allan
<Spamsu...@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb.org> Gave us:

>Didn't I tell you to get the fuck out of this newsgroup a few months
>ago???

Hahaaha... You telling anyone what to do is what is really funny,
boy.

>It is time for you to leave.

It is time for you to fuck off, dumbass.

Allan

May 9, 2006, 7:04:13 PM5/9/06
On Sat, 06 May 2006 19:20:17 GMT, Jeff Rife <we...@nabs.net> wrote:

>> Still waiting:
>>
>> "I'm sure anybody that wanted to could find reviews that go the other
>> way,"
>
>Still waiting for you to be able to comprehend English so that you can
>understand the existing reviews are not as glowing as you claim they
>are. Get back to me when you get your GED.

Couldn't find any I guess. No surprise.

Allan

May 10, 2006, 12:23:00 AM5/10/06
On Sat, 06 May 2006 19:20:17 GMT, Jeff Rife <we...@nabs.net> wrote:

>Still waiting for you to be able to comprehend English ..... Get back to me when you get your GED.

What's next... "Yo Momma" jokes? Pretty disappointed actually.
Expected more from you Jeff.

Jeff Rife

May 10, 2006, 11:10:21 AM5/10/06
> >Still waiting for you to be able to comprehend English ..... Get back to me when you get your GED.
>
> What's next... "Yo Momma" jokes? Pretty disappointed actually.
> Expected more from you Jeff.

Look, if you can't read the existing reviews and understand what they
are saying (which is that the HD-A1 is OK but certainly not worth $500
if it were only an upconverting DVD player), then you'll have to do some
more studying on the nuances of the English language.

Allan

May 14, 2006, 11:58:33 PM5/14/06
On Wed, 10 May 2006 15:10:21 GMT, Jeff Rife <we...@nabs.net> wrote:

>Allan (Spamsu...@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb.org) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> >Still waiting for you to be able to comprehend English ..... Get back to me when you get your GED.
>>
>> What's next... "Yo Momma" jokes? Pretty disappointed actually.
>> Expected more from you Jeff.
>
>Look, if you can't read the existing reviews

Read more than one actually...

>and understand what they
>are saying (which is that the HD-A1 is OK

"OK"? Plays HD DVD... upconverts current DVD's.... audio CDs play
wonderfully via the pure digital output.... you can create your own HD
DVDs NOW.....

OK?

> but certainly not worth $500

?? My first DVD player was $799 plus tax!

>if it were only an upconverting DVD player), then you'll have to do some
>more studying on the nuances of the English language.

Forget the grade school insults... the usenet can be silly
sometimes. I suspect that if we met in person, our views would be not
far off... at least I hope so.

Jeff Rife

May 15, 2006, 2:50:14 AM5/15/06
> >and understand what they
> >are saying (which is that the HD-A1 is OK
>
> "OK"? Plays HD DVD... upconverts current DVD's.... audio CDs play
> wonderfully via the pure digital output....

Except for the "plays HD-DVD", what does this $500 unit do that a $150
upconverting DVD player doesn't also do? Then, too, it's likely that
the $150 upconverting DVD player also plays Divx, Xvid, WMV, etc. How
many of those formats are supported by the HD-A1?

And, where are the HD versions of the 1000 movies that *I* own on DVD?
Admittedly, I already have some on hard disk, but I don't need an HD-DVD
player to play them. Then, there's the 30,000 others that everybody
else owns.

> you can create your own HD
> DVDs NOW.....

Really? The HD-A1 is a recorder? Cool, that's definitely worth the
$500. So, how do you get the HD video input to it?

> > but certainly not worth $500
>
> ?? My first DVD player was $799 plus tax!

Big deal. From a technical standpoint, an HD-DVD player is a slightly
modified DVD player. Parts cost is likely less than $100. For your
first DVD player, parts cost was probably $500.

Other than playing the 20 HD-DVD movies out there, this unit isn't worth
anywhere near $500, especially when exceptional upconversion quality is
already cheaply available.

--
Jeff Rife | "I have a question that could affect our entire
| relationship...did you kill Coach Mattay?"
| "No!"
| "But, you did dress him up like a woman...?"
| "Yeah."
| "Just checking."
| -- Alex Lambert and Brian Hackett, "Wings"

Allan

May 20, 2006, 8:42:40 PM5/20/06
On Mon, 15 May 2006 06:50:14 GMT, Jeff Rife <we...@nabs.net> wrote:

>Allan (Spamsu...@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb.org) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> >and understand what they
>> >are saying (which is that the HD-A1 is OK
>>
>> "OK"? Plays HD DVD... upconverts current DVD's.... audio CDs play
>> wonderfully via the pure digital output....
>
>Except for the "plays HD-DVD", what does this $500 unit do that a $150
>upconverting DVD player doesn't also do?

Isn't that enough?

>Then, too, it's likely that
>the $150 upconverting DVD player also plays Divx, Xvid, WMV, etc. How
>many of those formats are supported by the HD-A1?

I could care less about those formats. Never used them... never will.

>And, where are the HD versions of the 1000 movies that *I* own on DVD?

The format started a few weeks ago. Give it time.

>Admittedly, I already have some on hard disk, but I don't need an HD-DVD
>player to play them. Then, there's the 30,000 others that everybody
>else owns.

Cool. They can use the A1 to play them back.

>> you can create your own HD
>> DVDs NOW.....
>
>Really? The HD-A1 is a recorder? Cool, that's definitely worth the
>$500. So, how do you get the HD video input to it?

Been authoring HD DVD for a week now. In fact I played my first
authored HD DVD a few hours after installing the A1.

Couldn't say that with DVD.

>> > but certainly not worth $500
>>
>> ?? My first DVD player was $799 plus tax!
>
>Big deal.

Point is simple... $500 is nothing. Folks were/are paying $1500 for
an upconverting DVD player.

>Other than playing the 20 HD-DVD movies out there, this unit isn't worth
>anywhere near $500, especially when exceptional upconversion quality is
>already cheaply available.

Love playing my Authored HD DVD's. DVD's look great. Cd's sound
wonderful... and heck, even have a HD DVD or two in my collection.

Sweet.