Does everyone here know about the Blue laser coming out soon?

su...@webtv.net

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
I picked up the story of how a thinner than red laser, called a blue
laser will double the gig's capacity based on what the red laser DVD can
hold right now. The red laser generation us, will be out in the cold
again. They are gearing up to release Blue laser DVD's early next year
or sooner.

Question, would it be foolish to continue buying red laser DVD's? You
now know that the blue lasers will be out, and they will make the red
laser out dated, just as the big laser (disc) generation is. My news
can be validated by doing a blue laser DVD search, on any of the major
search engines. I was looking for other information when I seen the word
and read the story.

Answer, well let's hear the groups opinion each one will be appreciated.
Except of course dumb
or laughable ones, I won't even be bothered with.

Let's hear it, this is an entirely new DVD
Technology, I surfed through the column and found no one else was
talking about it. Or maybe no one except me wanted to rock the boat, but
it should be talked about, no matter how hard it is to accept.

Otherwise next year, it will run right over us!!!

big surr

Tim Kirchner

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
> Question, would it be foolish to continue buying red laser DVD's? You
> now know that the blue lasers will be out, and they will make the red
> laser out dated, just as the big laser (disc) generation is. My news
> can be validated by doing a blue laser DVD search, on any of the major
> search engines. I was looking for other information when I seen the word
> and read the story.

I haven't found any information to back this yet, but I'd be willing to bet
that a blue-laser player will probably also read red-laser DVDs as well.

-Tim

Aaron P. Brezenski

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
In article <18618-39...@storefull-105.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
<su...@webtv.net> wrote:

[One of the funniest trolls to grace this newsgroup since Sukato endorsed
"tallscreen"]

> big surr

On the off chance that (somehow) you are not a fifteen year-old prankster
posting from mom 'n' dad's house, I'll tell you that "blue laser DVD" is
vaporware. There have been concept-stage demos at trade shows and such, but
no one has come *near* making an announcement yet-- let alone convened a
DVD Forum-esque body to hammer out a standard.

Even leaving out the fact that the next generation of home video disc may
use that funky new fluorescence technique instead of the currently-
engineered mode of data retrieval, we're still at least 2 years away from
seeing Warner Bros. release the fifteenth special edition of The Exorcist on
HD-DVD in 1080p with Dolby Digital EX^2 and a brand, spanking new commentary
track featuring Satan himself.

And that's if they started *tomorrow*. Instead, we still have to go through
the process of intra-industry catfighting, as Sony demands that their own
HD-DVD-R\W be chosen as the recordable standard, Toshiba puts its money
behind HD-DVD-R?W, while Matsushita and Samsung spend time endorsing their
creation, HD-DVD-R$@#&W. Hollywood, freaked out by DeCSS and whoever hacks
its intellectual descendents, will demand "State Coding", so that copies of
movies sent to Academy Award voters in California and New York can't be
viewed by undesirables in Iowa and Utah. And Congress will pass the Couple
Years Into The Millenium Really Scary Digital Copyright Act, which will make
even *discussing* HD-DVD on the internet punishable by fine, imprisonment,
and probably both.

Lets not even *discuss* dts's and Dolby's lawsuits when Sony SDDS is chosen as
the official sound format.

When a standard finally arrives, Disney will release all of its B-titles to
"support the format", while keeping it's A-list and classic animation close
to its chest, mumbling things about "copyright concerns" in cryptic press
releases. Meanwhile, Fox will release nothing, since DVHS is "obviously"
the wave of the future; they will consider releasing some of their movies on
the new featureless, cropped-to-16x9-to-fill-your-screen "EasyPay" format,
since its pay-per-view^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hmore effective copy
protection appeals to them.

Face it: DVD is *it* for the next couple of years *minimum*. Enjoy your
discs now, and quit worrying that they're somehow going to be "obsoleted" by
"blue-laser DVD", "high-density laser disc", data crystals, or whatever
other bogeyman the latest copy of Omni Magazine touts as the New Messiah of
Home Theater. Odds are that HD-DVD will be backwards compatible with DVD
much as DVD is backwards compatible with CD.

DVD will become obsolete. Eventually. But let's not toll its death knell
before we have a corpse, okay?!?

--
Aaron Brezenski
"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there isn't someone out to get me."

Card-Carrying Member of the Illuminati

mlma...@my-deja.com

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
> I picked up the story of how a thinner than red laser, called a blue
> laser will double the gig's capacity based on what the red laser DVD
can
> hold right now. The red laser generation us, will be out in the cold
> again. They are gearing up to release Blue laser DVD's early next year
> or sooner.
>
> Question, would it be foolish to continue buying red laser DVD's? You
> now know that the blue lasers will be out, and they will make the red
> laser out dated, just as the big laser (disc) generation is. My news
> can be validated by doing a blue laser DVD search, on any of the major
> search engines. I was looking for other information when I seen the
word
> and read the story.
>
> Answer, well let's hear the groups opinion each one will be
appreciated.
> Except of course dumb
> or laughable ones, I won't even be bothered with.
>
> Let's hear it, this is an entirely new DVD
> Technology, I surfed through the column and found no one else was
> talking about it. Or maybe no one except me wanted to rock the boat,
but
> it should be talked about, no matter how hard it is to accept.
>
> Otherwise next year, it will run right over us!!!

An interesting attempt at trolling.

1) Blue lasers can read media pressed for red lasers:

<http://panasonic.com/industrial_oem/computer/storage/dvd-ram/about/future/future5.htm>

B) Violet laser HD-DVD prototypes have already been made (May 2000):

<http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG19991020S0051>

III) The technology isn't the problem, getting the studios to use it is
the problem.

HD-DVD won't have a market big enough to bother with until HDTV displays
hit a substantial market penetration (20% or so, say in five more
years).

Matthew

--
Matthew L. Martin Thermodynamics for Dummies:
First Law: You can't win

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Health Nut

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
It makes sense that MLP becomes the future HD-DVD standard.
MLP is already the standard for DVD-A and it makes pefect sense
that MLP would offer the improvement of lossless compression
and an already established standard. By this time next year, all
DVD players in production will be able to decode DVD-A.

The nice thing about the flourescent technology is that not only
is the DENSITY huge, the BANDWIDTH capability is huge.
If 20/96 in 5.1 (or even 7.1) is too much, MLP would
also do (5.1 or 7.1) 20/48 . DD and DTS would just be
optional formats on the HD-DVD standard..

"Aaron P. Brezenski" <tina...@primenet.com> wrote in message

> Even leaving out the fact that the next generation of home video disc may
> use that funky new fluorescence technique instead of the currently-
> engineered mode of data retrieval, we're still at least 2 years away from
> seeing Warner Bros. release the fifteenth special edition of The Exorcist
on
> HD-DVD in 1080p with Dolby Digital EX^2 and a brand, spanking new
commentary
> track featuring Satan himself.

<<Snip>>

Health Nut

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00

<mlma...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8ge4ka$h2p$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> HD-DVD won't have a market big enough to bother with until HDTV displays
> hit a substantial market penetration (20% or so, say in five more
> years).

Hehehe... then we will be bitching at 480 DVD's almost like we
bitch at VHS (once people see and hear the beauty of HD-DVD's of course).

poldy

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Can someone list some references to this flourescent technology or is it
some newsgroup prank?

In article <8ge0t3$p0o$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>, "Health Nut"

Health Nut

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
It is not a prank, but I'm too tired to find all of those news articles...

"poldy" <h...@nospam.kfu.com> wrote in message

Matthew L. Martin

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
In article <8ge5qo$t5a$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>,

To an extent, yes. A lot will hinge on the size of the display and the
vewing distance. I suspect that a properly rescaled 480i DVD on a 38" or
under set will be pretty much indistiguishable from HDTV. On 65" and
larger, the differences will be obvious.

Matthew (who wants an 85" 16:9 1080p wall hung electronic ink display)

--
Matthew L. Martin mmart...@my-deja.com
Which one do you want?

su...@webtv.net

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
Son of a bitch, another deja.com Supervisor on suspected trolls. I got
off of that G.D. deja.com to get away from being called a troll.

Now your on webtv spouting your troll shit, again. I came on with news
of a new Blue laser technolegy, and because of the that, the troll
Spotter. Who is another pain in the ass has to point me out as being one
of his trolls. Tough Shit, you don't like what I have to say then don't
read anything that su...@webtv.net posted or responded to. :(

big surr

Aaron P. Brezenski

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
In article <21372-392...@storefull-104.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,

Okay, lets examine the case:

You post a barely-literate message with the dubious news that blue laser
DVDs are due out next year "or sooner", fail to cite a source, then suggest
that we start discussing it with the following:

"Answer, well let's hear the groups opinion each one will be appreciated.
Except of course dumb
or laughable ones, I won't even be bothered with."

and

"... maybe no one except me wanted to rock the boat, but

it should be talked about, no matter how hard it is to accept.

Otherwise next year, it will run right over us!!!"

A deja search indicates you've only ever posted to this newsgroup, and the
messages contained such gems as:

"I was completely absorbed into the story when
the picture broke up just 7 minutes, from the end of the 6 hour
mini-series. It was Stephen King's "Storm of the Century" was I ever pissed.
I broke it with my hands, as I knew they would not take it back. "

and

"I don't know if you could handle my sound system. As I will be saying the
opposite of the user who answered you first. I take my red and white leads
out of my Sony CX850D 200 DVD/CD changer into my secret device then into a
Sennheiser 5 sounds into 2 headphones
to give you a total sensory surround that you could not expect to get using
a receiver and speakers."

and especially the self-referential

"I made a statement to the group about Blue Laser technology coming out. As
a precaution, I have stopped buying Red laser DVD's.
I have successfully recorded all of the 40 DVD's I have onto S-Video 425
lines, but on High Grade Vhs Tape."

Needless to say, Troll-O-Meters all over the world buried their needles in
the "Waiting-Under-The-Bridge-For-The-Three-Billy-Goats-Gruff" category.

I suppose it's possible you're legit; after all, deja isn't showing
historical stuff right now, so you could have a long and well-respected
history of posting to everything from alt.support.step-parents to
alt.religion.kibology. But somehow I doubt it.

You're certainly a *funny* troll, which is more than I can say for Senator
Papalstein or his sock-puppets. Please keep posting!

shot@oneeye.com blocked

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
I've read that this would come out in 2005. Hope its not
another deal where the current software is incompatible like the
change from laserdisc to dvd.

Health Nut

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
> >Matthew (who wants an 85" 16:9 1080p wall hung electronic ink display)

I want a 1080p capable D-ILA or anything that doesn't need calibration and
continued maintainance and difficult setups like a CRT, *But* looks better
than a Vidiekron Vision One or Sony G90