US Economy and OTA DTV Multicasts

K. B.

Dec 20, 2008, 4:05:57 AM12/20/08
KCPT-DT offers a 4 program multicast during the day,
KPXE-DT offers a 4 program multicast all the time and
KTAJ-DT offers a 5 program multicast all the time.

The picture quality is acceptable on all of the multicast
programs (13" or 19" viewing screen).

Considering the TV advertising situation, I wonder if the
local TV stations would end up operating just a few
transmitters which would multicast all of the primary (x.1)
local broadcasts, thus saving each local broadcaster the
total cost of operating an entire DTV transmission facility.

I doubt if HDTV with 5.1 Dolby Digital audio multicasts are
possible (with acceptable picture quality), but 16:9 SDTV
multicasts with Stereo audio (Dolby Surround encoded) would
probably be.

(HDTV + 5.1 audio from the local TV stations could be
provided to cable and satellite companies)

Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
<http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>

robinlos

Dec 20, 2008, 9:34:09 AM12/20/08

You hit on some real possibilities. Different markets will do things
differently. There will be transmitters throwing out 4 or 5
multicasts. And some sending out only a true HD stream. The economics
of the thing more than suggests those with up-scale HD recivers will
also be hooked by wire rather than antenna. So, some broadcasters
might see not reason to limit their stream to one program. I have real
doubts that top-of-the-line HD will penetrate much of the market for
quite a while. The shake down might come after a few years, with
broadcasting possibly becoming marginalized. When this cup gets to
the dregs, there will be some bitter tastes for more than a few.

TJ

Dec 20, 2008, 12:27:08 PM12/20/08

And a lot of us won't care, as long as we can watch free tv with
pictures that don't sometimes look like jigsaw puzzles and audio that
doesn't pop in and out every time a car goes by. That's all I want. HD
may be desirable to some, but in reality is completely unnecessary.

TJ

Sal M. Onella

Dec 20, 2008, 11:03:20 PM12/20/08

"K. B." <hotmail.com@lis2lis2> wrote in message

> KCPT-DT offers a 4 program multicast during the day,
> KPXE-DT offers a 4 program multicast all the time and
> KTAJ-DT offers a 5 program multicast all the time.
>
> The picture quality is acceptable on all of the multicast
> programs (13" or 19" viewing screen).

< snip >

> Kirk Bayne
> alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
> <http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>

True for you -- not so true for me. The NBC O&O in San Diego, KNSD-DT has
the regular shows on 39.1, Weather Plus on 39.2 (for now) and NBCU Sports on
39.3.

Even when I watch the sports on a 13" TV, the bandwidth starvation is
painfully evident. There are motion blur, tiling and "mosquito noise" (see
http://www.videsignline.com/howto/180207350) so bad that I just about never
want to watch it. Thank heaven for women's beach volleyball. Ah, but such
is the shame -- even that's not fulfilling enough to hook me into 39.3. And
I must point out that 39.1 is a nice picture, so I'm not seeing degradation
caused by a basic bad signal.

Kirk, perhaps your stations are doing multicasts of all SD signals. If that
were the case with 39.x, maybe my experience would match yours.

K. B.

Dec 21, 2008, 2:07:36 AM12/21/08
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 20:03:20 -0800, "Sal M. Onella"
<salmo...@food.poisoning.org> posted:

>Kirk, perhaps your stations are doing multicasts of all SD signals. If that
>were the case with 39.x, maybe my experience would match yours.

KCPT-DT switches to a 2 program multicast from 6PM to 6AM,
probably to offer the PBS HDTV evening programs with minimal
MPEG-2 artifacts, the KPXE-DT and KTAJ-DT multicasts are all
4:3 480i (I haven't checked to see if the audio is Stereo).

Pete

Dec 23, 2008, 4:31:48 PM12/23/08
In article <eej3l.1681$sC4....@newsfe04.iad>,

Sal M. Onella <salmo...@food.poisoning.org> wrote:

>"K. B." <hotmail.com@lis2lis2> wrote in message
>> KCPT-DT offers a 4 program multicast during the day,
>> KPXE-DT offers a 4 program multicast all the time and
>> KTAJ-DT offers a 5 program multicast all the time.
>>
>> The picture quality is acceptable on all of the multicast
>> programs (13" or 19" viewing screen).
>< snip >
>True for you -- not so true for me. The NBC O&O in San Diego, KNSD-DT has
>the regular shows on 39.1, Weather Plus on 39.2 (for now) and NBCU Sports on
>39.3.
>
>Even when I watch the sports on a 13" TV, the bandwidth starvation is
>painfully evident. There are motion blur, tiling and "mosquito noise" (see
>http://www.videsignline.com/howto/180207350) so bad that I just about never
>want to watch it. Thank heaven for women's beach volleyball. Ah, but such
>is the shame -- even that's not fulfilling enough to hook me into 39.3. And
>I must point out that 39.1 is a nice picture, so I'm not seeing degradation
>caused by a basic bad signal.

Interesting. Here in the SF Bay Area, 'NBC11' has the same lineup, and
I don't see any problem on 11-3. I never really watch it, but I've
checked by a few times, and I did so just now to verify.

Amusingly, the first (local NBC11) ad that popped up was one of those that
warn me I "may lose my picture if my TV isn't Digital Ready"... Umm, guys,
I wouldn't be seeing that ad -- on a digital-only channel -- if it wasn't!

-- Pete --

The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
(If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)