books

Lestat

Dec 11, 1993, 11:39:59 PM12/11/93
Is there a good listing for fiction and non fiction books about vampires?
What are your fave books? I like A.Rice's Vampire Chronicles and B.Lumley's
Necroscope series! Any suggestions on further reading?

Dorothy E Burns

Dec 12, 1993, 12:27:24 PM12/12/93
I am a student at the University of Pennsylvania who has been lucky enough
to take an entire class dedicated to vampire literature. The course
syllabus includes:

Bram Stoker's "Dracula"; the neww 1993 annotated edition by Leonard Wolf
Fred Saberhagen's "The Dracula Tape," which is a response to Dracula
Stephen King's "'Salem's Lot"
Jewelle Gomez's "The Gilda Stories," which I found to be pretty sappy,
and a great anthology of short stories by Penguin Books called "The
Penguin Book of Vampire Stories."

All of these are fairly quick, uncomplicated, afternoon-type reading
selections. For more obscure "vampire"-related stuff, try reading Samuel
Taylor Coleridge's "Cristabel" and "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner."
While neither of these poems is thought traditionally of as Vampire
Literature, they certainly contain many vampiristc themes. Another of
these would be John Keat's "Lamia." These poems are some of my personal
favorites, along with some of the stories in the Penguin anthology.

Cheers!
D.

emi...@kean.ucs.mun.ca

Dec 13, 1993, 12:52:14 PM12/13/93
Lestat asked about favorite vampire books. Excluding *Dracula* (which
is a MUST for anyone's list), I would recommend the following (not
ranked - they're all worth at least 4 fangs out of 5, IMHO):
Richard Matheson, "I Am Legend"
Peter Tremayne, "Dracula Lives!" (three novels in one book)
Robert McCammon (ed), "Under the Fang" (collection of short stories)
Kim Newman, "Anno Dracula"
Fred Saberhagen, "The Dracula Tape"
Robert McCammon, "They Thirst"
Jeffrey Sackett, "Blood of the Impaler"
"The Ultimate Dracula" (a collection of short stories)
Tim Powers, "The Stress of Her Regard"

There are many others, but let's see what else is suggested.

Elizabeth

Melchar

Dec 13, 1993, 4:10:52 PM12/13/93
Lestat <LESTA...@delphi.com> writes:

The Tanya Huff series: Blood Price; Blood Trail; Blood Lines; Blood
Pact;
The Elaine Bergstrom series: Shattered Glass; Blood Alone; Blood
Rites;
Nancy Collins books: Sunglasses After Dark; In the Blood
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's Sainte Germaine series (about 12 books long
now)

John W. Goodrich

Dec 14, 1993, 11:22:54 AM12/14/93
Also reccommended highly is Dan Simmons's Children of the Night.
He's doing things to Vampires that I never thought possible, and I like it.

The Laughing Priest! {jgoo...@nmsu.edu}

Keeper: "Sorry, Paul, your character just got his
guts sucked out through an invisible tentacle."

Paul: "Cool!"

HORNE_EUGNIA_LEE

Dec 14, 1993, 11:47:26 AM12/14/93
In article <931211.8519...@delphi.com>,

Books that may not have been mentioned:

Non-fiction - "The Living Dead: a Study of the Vampire in Romantic
Literature" by James B. Twitchell. 1981

Don't let the title throw you; it's very readable.
Also, gives many references to other books - both
non-fiction and fiction. Such as:

"The Vampire: His Kith and Kin" Montague Summers
"The Vampire in Europe" Montague Summers
"Natural History of the Vampire" Masters
"A Dream of Dracula" Wolf

- "In Search of Dracula" Radu Florescu and McNally.

Talks about Vlad the Impaler.

Fiction - "Anno Dracula" Kim Newman.

I know it's been mentioned before, but it is very good
and I'm afraid it will be bypassed by the Anne Rice
and Stephen King publicity. (I've only seen a few copies
in a few stores, while Anne Rice has a massive display.

- "Blood Tales" (?) Tanith Lee.

I'm not sure about the title. The subtitle is
"Tales by the Sisters Grimmer." Anyway, it's a
collection of retold fairer tales with a dark side.
Snow White is a Vampire in one, and Cinderella is -
well, read it - it's fun.

Note about Saint Germain (sorry, if I spelled it
wrong) he's in a non-fiction book somewhere, because
I recognized him when I first read the fictionalized
version.
horn...@cwis.isu.edu
(Eugenia Horne) | The correct spelling.

Kathleen Hardy

Dec 15, 1993, 12:59:17 PM12/15/93

In a previous article, horn...@cwis.isu.edu (HORNE_EUGNIA_LEE) says:

> - "Blood Tales" (?) Tanith Lee.

_Red as Blood_ - the title story is the one about
Snow White - picked up an award of some sort.

Kat
--
Love is a rose but you better not pick it | First, we take Manhattan ...
Only grows when it's on the vine | ... then we take Berlin.

Melchar

Dec 15, 1993, 4:19:45 PM12/15/93

> Note about Saint Germain (sorry, if I spelled it
> wrong) he's in a non-fiction book somewhere, because
> I recognized him when I first read the fictionalized
> version.
> --
Saint-Germaine was an alchemist-astrologer in the 17th century who
acheived noble patronage (thru claims of being able to change matter to
gold & for claims of rejuvination). He demonstrated the gold
transference (& was pretty much believed -- mainly because of his claim
that until he perfected the technique it cost him more than the gold was
worth to mfg it.). As for the rejuvination; it _sounds_ like he made a
bad-smelling lotion with effects similar to 'Oil of Olay'. :)
THAT was the historical figure.
So when Cheslea Quinn Yarbro want a name for the protagonist of her
vampire series, she chose the name Saint Germaine & her first book in the
series (Hotel Transylvannia) was set in France & made a Gothic romance of
the Saint-Germaine myth. Since then she has moved the guy around thru
history in a series spanning about a dozen books. Some are excellent
reading; others are tedious; & 2 concern another vampire entirely (but
are still part of the series).
I obtained the majority of my hardbacks in the series thru the
Science fiction Book Club & note that they show up in 'club' literature
about once or twice a year......

Melchar

Dec 15, 1993, 4:27:33 PM12/15/93
> > - "Blood Tales" (?) Tanith Lee.
> _Red as Blood_ - the title story is the one about
> Snow White - picked up an award of some sort.
>
> Kat
> --

Tanith Lee has 'Red as Blood' (collection of short stories; very
good)...........but I believe that the prior title is meant as:
"Sabella, or the Blood Stone" -- TL's vampire story set on Mars in the
future (very enjoyable).

Also, I just read Robert Frezza's book "McLendons' Syndrome" which
was a fun read (science fiction, with the syndrome in question being a
viral syndrome similar enough to vampirism that vistims of it are called
'vampires' by the media).

Katrina

Dec 15, 1993, 6:21:31 PM12/15/93
Lestat (LESTA...@delphi.com) wrote:
: Is there a good listing for fiction and non fiction books about vampires?

: What are your fave books? I like A.Rice's Vampire Chronicles and B.Lumley's
: Necroscope series! Any suggestions on further reading?

Actually I enjoyed "Children of the Night" by Dan Simmons.
It's a bit hard to figure out what's going on at first, but it
does give a lot of background on Vlad Dracul and Vlad Dracula. (father and
son) I recomend it....

Katrina

"I often give myself good advice, but I am unable to take it."
John Muir

Kathleen Hardy

Dec 15, 1993, 8:48:37 PM12/15/93

In a previous article, mel...@west.darkside.com (Melchar) says:

>> > - "Blood Tales" (?) Tanith Lee.
>> _Red as Blood_ - the title story is the one about
>> Snow White - picked up an award of some sort.
>

> Tanith Lee has 'Red as Blood' (collection of short stories; very
>good)...........but I believe that the prior title is meant as:
>"Sabella, or the Blood Stone" -- TL's vampire story set on Mars in the
>future (very enjoyable).

What the original poster described was - a series of rewrites
of old fairy tales, with the sub-title being _Tales from the
Sisters Grimmer_.
'Sabella' is paired with another story (ghosts, not vampires,
for the subject of the second story)
in _After Sunset_ (or something to that effect).

Derek G Dahlsad

Dec 20, 1993, 10:28:38 PM12/20/93

: "The Vampire: His Kith and Kin" Montague Summers

A very good book; I'm reading it right now...

Very deep (written like a textbook & lots of latin quotes), but it is very
in depth on such topics as why vampires are connected with christianity,
and talks about other mythology's vampyres.

dah...@plains.nodak.edu

Susan Lestat Spaet

Dec 21, 1993, 12:13:20 AM12/21/93
Has anyone heard of Jessica Palmer, and is her book Dark Lullaby about
vampires? I just read a short story by her in a vampire story anthology and
really liked it. Is her work well known and widely available?

--
Susan Spaet
sms...@amherst.edu