Shaq likes the Roanoke/Bedford Area.

1 view

Lester Mosley

Aug 11, 2005, 3:54:46 AM8/11/05
Shaq will visit again, Brown said, though he declined to give a date.
Next time, there will be a public event and a longer stay, the sheriff
said.
On Monday, Shaq told reporters that he was "look(ing) forward to
purchasing a lot of acres in Bedford County." Brown said Tuesday that
he thinks the superstar will buy some property in the county.
"He asked me some questions about real estate," the sheriff said. Brown
also said, "He was very impressed with this area."
- Snipplet from the WSLS website

Hrrrm it seems someone likes this area.. He wants a lot of land.. Since
he can't buy " a lot of acres" in Roanoke...

But hey..

marika

Aug 11, 2005, 6:05:17 PM8/11/05

that's neat. I hope he does move to the area.

I went to Bartholdi Park today at lunchtime. I need to get you there.
It is absolutely beautiful. There is a historic fountain surrounded by
botanical gardens. The statues are all by Bartholdi, the same guy who
sculpted the Statue of Liberty. The style is similar, but the women
hold up the fountain not a torch.

Later we went to the Capitol for lunch. Awesome cafterias. Had
Jambalaya, The prices are absurdly reasonable. The Rayburn building.

I only have three more months at this site and I need to figure out how
to get the most out of it. After that, I don't know if they send me
back to Skyline or Baltimore. Has a lot to do with new legislations.

mk5000

"I only love two of my children"--all american rejects

marika

Aug 11, 2005, 6:21:11 PM8/11/05

marika wrote:

> that's neat. I hope he does move to the area.
>
> I went to Bartholdi Park today at lunchtime. I need to get you there.
> It is absolutely beautiful. There is a historic fountain surrounded by
> botanical gardens. The statues are all by Bartholdi, the same guy who
> sculpted the Statue of Liberty. The style is similar, but the women
> hold up the fountain not a torch.
>
> Later we went to the Capitol for lunch. Awesome cafterias. Had
> Jambalaya, The prices are absurdly reasonable. The Rayburn building.
>
> I only have three more months at this site and I need to figure out how
> to get the most out of it. After that, I don't know if they send me
> back to Skyline or Baltimore. Has a lot to do with new legislations.

i forgot to mention that i hope they don't have video cameras in
Bartholdi.
Because we ate their concord grapes right straight off the bower. I
would hate to get arrested for grape stealage. Although the place
wasn't posted or anything, so I don't think we did anything wrong.

mk5000

"-Make you do a double take
Planet rocka show stoppa
Flo' proppa head knocka
Beat styla tail droppa "--lose control missy elliott

Lester Mosley

Aug 14, 2005, 8:25:16 AM8/14/05
I thought home was comming up next?

Anyhow I do need to decided what I will do with my 4 weeks of vacation
enxt year. Heck I still have 2 weeks this year!

Lester Mosley

Aug 15, 2005, 5:24:08 AM8/15/05

Happydog wrote:
> Well, your post is immediately suspect because you said friend. I doubt
> you have any.
> Coming to the World's Most Famous Beach? Or is it Mabry Mill?
>
> Happydog:)

You are part-right..

I am thinking of Snæfellsnes Beach.

Happydog

Aug 15, 2005, 5:28:19 AM8/15/05
Oh, going to that popular one. It trips right off the tongue.
Is that in this world?

HD:)

Lester Mosley

Aug 15, 2005, 10:27:00 AM8/15/05

Sure it slips right off the tounge.. if you know how to pronounce it.

I'll give yah three guess where it is at.. and no cheating.. no search
engines...

Happydog

Aug 16, 2005, 5:07:10 AM8/16/05
It sounds kind of like it may be Swedish so my first guess would be
Wisconsin, my second guess would be Michigan and my third would be Nova
Scotia.

But I don't thnk you have the patience to go to any of those places
driving so it's probably Leesville Dam.

Now, where is it?

HD:)

Lester Mosley

Aug 16, 2005, 10:32:58 AM8/16/05

Happydog wrote:
> It sounds kind of like it may be Swedish so my first guess would be
> Wisconsin, my second guess would be Michigan and my third would be Nova
> Scotia.

Welp you were wrong each time.

> But I don't thnk you have the patience to go to any of those places
> driving so it's probably Leesville Dam.

Hah I drive very often to DC, Atlanta, New Jersey and etc.

> Now, where is it?

Iceland.

If you can drive there.. than my god, you are a better man than I.

Happydog

Aug 17, 2005, 6:38:21 AM8/17/05
I had the right latitude. Wasn't that far off. They named the place
Iceland to discourage people from coming there.

HD:)

marika

Aug 17, 2005, 8:01:45 PM8/17/05

Happydog wrote:
> I had the right latitude.

you probably collect that stuff because you are a cop and it is your
job to catalogue it

mk5000

"there aren't any car chases, nothing blows up, nobody saves the world,
there's no fires"--jennifer weiner

marika

Aug 17, 2005, 8:06:00 PM8/17/05

Lester Mosley wrote:

> Welp you were wrong each time.

the really nice thing about being a woman is that I can do the gay
"accent" without trying

> > But I don't thnk you have the patience to go to any of those places
> > driving so it's probably Leesville Dam.
>
> Hah I drive very often to DC, Atlanta, New Jersey and etc.

and I wish those gay guys would stop mocking me

mk5000

"pretty well run by women. the most important thing to me is that the
audience not come away with an idea that men are evil and women are
good because i know that not to be the case"--niki caro

marika

Aug 17, 2005, 8:10:09 PM8/17/05

Happydog wrote:
> It sounds kind of like it may be Swedish so my first guess would be
> Wisconsin, my second guess would be Michigan and my third would be Nova
> Scotia.

1. i offered but you rejected my friendship
3. No, everyone is not ravingly happy all the time. it is not a
default state. quite the contrary. Happiness comes in spurts, with
periods in between while you wait for what is going to kill the good
feeling you were allowed to have for a moment. That killer is always
lurking

> But I don't thnk you have the patience to go to any of those places
> driving so it's probably Leesville Dam.

2. i thought you said you were gay

> Now, where is it?

3. everyone has accidents when they first start driving. they
resume when you get to be a senior citizen

mk5000

"a coming-of-age story about a therapist who has trouble giving her the
son the same sound advice that she gives her patients"--ben younger

Lester Mosley

Aug 22, 2005, 5:11:12 AM8/22/05

Right latiude? Sure that is like saying Florida and Virginia ae the
same.

Iceland is far more north tahn Novia Socia, or Wisconsin..

sig...@binet.is

Aug 22, 2005, 6:44:07 AM8/22/05

Iceland is as far north as Alaska and Yukon.

marika

Aug 22, 2005, 6:29:12 PM8/22/05

sig...@binet.is wrote:
> Iceland is as far north as Alaska and Yukon.

this is about a radio station in roanoke so i am turning it back around
and it is now on topic,

listening to the radio alterno rock station they had a
depeche mode contest, and an air traffic controller on
the job called knew all the band members, which was
the trivia questino, and then when he was asked, he
said he had put the plane on hold

mk5000

" took too much from granted, i got my signals crossed
Just to think that it all began on a non-eventful morn
"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm''.
Well the deputy walks on hard nails an' the preacher rides a
mount"--dylan

marika

Aug 22, 2005, 6:33:08 PM8/22/05

Lester Mosley wrote:

> Right latiude?

yea, hey, we as an office will have a memorial at
Charcoal Steak House on Tuesday, w a eulogist for this failure

>Sure that is like saying Florida and Virginia ae the
> same.

If you are interested, please let me know. Sherrie is
doing the arrangements

mk5000

"I don't think that I can take it
Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again.
Oh no!"--macarthur park

Lester Mosley

Aug 23, 2005, 12:15:39 PM8/23/05

Welcome to Roanoke Talk.. Glad to see someone from iceland dropping in.

Just ignore the rants about some guy the State fried for killing a
family and was framed.

marika

Aug 23, 2005, 6:45:32 PM8/23/05

Lester Mosley wrote:>
> Welcome to Roanoke Talk..

we wished him in.

but now you should welcome hmi to aullm too

mk5000

"amazingly in 1998 tow different groups of paleobiologists reported
finding fossils with remarkable soft-tissue preservation in another
Precambrian lagerstatte - the Doushanto Formation in Guizhou Province
of south China. This deposit contains tiny soft-bodied adult sponges
and cnidarians as well as minuscule eggs and embryos"--david j bottjer

Happydog

Aug 24, 2005, 9:54:27 AM8/24/05
Makes no difference to me where they are. Alaska, Iceland and the Yukon
are for
assholes and Polar Bears and I don't think Lester has any white fur on
his ass.
And before you correct me I know the Polar Bear's fur isn't white.

Happydog:)

sig...@binet.is

Aug 24, 2005, 10:31:35 AM8/24/05

And yes, you just confirmed all the prejudices I have towards
"Americans"

marika

Aug 24, 2005, 9:20:01 PM8/24/05

sig...@binet.is wrote:

> And yes, you just confirmed all the prejudices I have towards
> "Americans"

add to your list the fact that he uses sheep as buttplugs.

he's not a nice guy

mk5000

"in addition to confirming the results of oliveira-costa and company,
we revealed some unexpected correlations in 2004. Several of the
vectors lie surprisingly close to the ecliptic plane. Within that
plane, they sit unexpectedly close to the equinoxes - the two points on
the sky where the projection of the earth's equator onto the sky
crosses the ecliptic"--anonymous

Happydog

Aug 25, 2005, 4:17:16 PM8/25/05
Born and bred, tried and true.
What else can I say? Sorry Sigv.

Happydog:)

marika

Aug 25, 2005, 7:36:32 PM8/25/05

Happydog wrote:
> Born and bred, tried and true.

looks like your spoofing software isn't working very well, message id
and other telltale bits

> What else can I say?

can't figure out why you didn;'t cancel it instead though

>Sorry Sigv.

anyone can see the bad line

mk5000

"the other two logic functions are obtained by switching the logic
layer. All three inputs - A, B and C - are aplied to switch the lower
layer. The magnetic field needed to switch the polarity of the top
layer is less than that for the bottom layer, so the two can be
addressed independently"--

Frank Kalder

Aug 26, 2005, 3:54:12 AM8/26/05
marika schrieb:

> Lester Mosley wrote:
>

> > Welcome to Roanoke Talk..
>
> we wished him in.
>
> but now you should welcome hmi to aullm too

Hi Marika,

as you may have seen at the fairy-tail "Greek author..."-thread

http://groups.google.de/group/soc.culture.greek/msg/2554cf49f7e9503a

I do like Roanoke and its beautiful surroundings (Virginian mountains
and lakes), too (even from far, i.e. virtually).

CU, Frank

--
www.haplif.de & www.haplif.de/61820.html
http://groups.google.com/group/Governance-global-vs-regional

marika

Aug 26, 2005, 10:25:04 PM8/26/05

Frank Kalder wrote:> as you may have seen at the fairy-tail "Greek

author..."-thread

> http://groups.google.de/group/soc.culture.greek/msg/2554cf49f7e9503a
>
> I do like Roanoke and its beautiful surroundings (Virginian mountains
> and lakes), too (even from far, i.e. virtually).

yes i remember. they remind one of the carpathians.

interesting, but as i said i live near dc down a piece from Skyline
which would make it either falls church or alexandria, not arlington.

relevantly, my high rise on my side looks out on what i think is the
skyline mountains also known as shenadoah also beautiful vista and
because i am so high up and now it is so green yuo can't see most of
the buildings, there are two towers on the sides that make the sloping
down make you think you are at the top of a mountain looking down into
a valley. it's illusion but i is still beautiful

mk5000

"Porque cantando se alegran, cielito m¨ªo
Los corazones.
No hables de tu marido mujer.
Mujer de malos sentimientos,"--el camino al a vereda, ibrahim ferrer

Frank Kalder

Aug 27, 2005, 2:44:08 AM8/27/05
marika wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:

> > [Roanoke and its beautiful surroundings (Virginian mountains
> > and lakes)]

> yes i remember. they remind one of the carpathians.

Have you ever been there?
Or do you know them from the various Dracula movies?

> interesting, but as i said i live near dc down a piece from Skyline
> which would make it either falls church or alexandria, not arlington.

Very nice location!
The one & only time I was in Washington, DC, I went to the JFK grave at
the Arlington National Cemetery.

"Which would make it either falls church or Alexandria". What does
it mean?

> relevantly, my high rise on my side looks out on what i think is the
> skyline mountains also known as shenadoah also beautiful vista and
> because i am so high up and now it is so green yuo can't see most of
> the buildings, there are two towers on the sides that make the sloping
> down make you think you are at the top of a mountain looking down into
> a valley.

That sounds marvellous!

> it's illusion but it is still beautiful

I know what you mean.
Frequently, when I walk around in some smaller cities I look at the
high rises there (of course, smaller though) with the imagination the
one or another might have the appearance of being a 'splendid beach
hotel at a beautiful coastal area'. Having the capacity of such type
of illusions the world around oneself is just getting beautiful ...

marika

Aug 27, 2005, 6:17:12 PM8/27/05

Frank Kalder wrote:

> Have you ever been there?

yes

> Or do you know them from the various Dracula movies?

i think the dracula movies were filmed in hollywood

> > interesting, but as i said i live near dc down a piece from Skyline
> > which would make it either falls church or alexandria, not arlington.
> >

> Very nice location!
> The one & only time I was in Washington, DC, I went to the JFK grave at
> the Arlington National Cemetery.
>
> "Which would make it either falls church or Alexandria". What does
> it mean?

that sometimes people refer to the area where i live as alexandria and
others call it falls church. they are both continguous with arlington
but no one ever refers to where i live as arlington

so i refer to where i live as either alexandria or falls church as some
people know one or the other

mk5000

"my things was not 'can i make a hit movie' It was 'can i make a hit
movie with amessage?'"--Mario Van Peebles

Message has been deleted

Frank Kalder

Aug 28, 2005, 4:27:38 AM8/28/05
marika schrieb:
> Frank Kalder wrote:

[Carpathians]

> > Have you ever been there?
>
> yes

Hi Marika,

perhaps, your ancestors came from there and you visited the remaining
family in Rumania? Or was it just a trip across Europe or the like?

> > Or do you know them from the various Dracula movies?
>
> i think the dracula movies were filmed in hollywood

Yes, I think so, too.
However, I saw sometimes background TV-reports on the real
Carpathians' area with its /dark appearing/ castles and so on.

In L.A. I spent half a day at the Universal Studios. And, e.g., I
remember the scary wooden house of Hitchcock's "Psycho".

As you compare the Virginian Mountains with the Carpathians, I've
meanwhile recalled that I know the landscape

http://www.virginiawind.com/virginia_travel/waltons_mountain.asp

pretty well from the "Waltons Mountain". Of course, "it readily
intermingles historical facts of the 1930s in rural Virginia with the
Hollywood depiction of the Walton family."

I've now looked up the Schuyler village at the Expedia map.

[...]
> > [Falls Church / Alexandria]

> that sometimes people refer to the area where i live as alexandria and
> others call it falls church. they are both continguous with arlington
> but no one ever refers to where i live as arlington
>
> so i refer to where i live as either alexandria or falls church as some
> people know one or the other

I got, at first, confused as I did not realise that both are cities and
counties. To me, only Arlington was a place I knew of (as indicated).

I found this now as a supplement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria,_Virginia

<cit>

History

The City of Alexandria, first known as Belhaven, was named in honor of
John Alexander, who in the last quarter of the 17th century had bought
the land on which the city now stands from Robert Howison; the first
settlement here was made in 1695. Alexandria was laid out in 1749 and
was incorporated in 1779.

A portion of the City of Alexandria shares with all of today's
Arlington County the distinction of having been originally in Virginia,
ceded to the US government to form the District of Columbia, and later
reattached to Virginia by the federal government in 1846 when the
District was reduced in size to exclude the portion west of the Potomac
River.

>From 1790 until 1846 Alexandria County was a part of the District of
Columbia; the city of Alexandria was re-chartered in 1852. The City of
Alexandria became independent of Alexandria County in 1870. The
remaining portion of Alexandria County changed its name to Arlington
County in 1920, ending years of confusion.

</cit>

I'm glad, Marika, that I could learn, at this occasion, more about
that US-historic part. And, having seen the whole area on an Expedia
map, I do now perfectly know your whereabouts :-)

CU, Frank

--
www.haplif.de & www.haplif.de/61820.html
Results of the G8 summit at Gleneagles (Scotland)

marika

Aug 28, 2005, 7:56:55 AM8/28/05

Frank Kalder wrote:

> perhaps, your ancestors came from there and you visited the remaining
> family in Rumania? Or was it just a trip across Europe or the like?

it was a trip to visit family but the carpathians are quite large and
go much beyond rumania

> > > Or do you know them from the various Dracula movies?
> >
> > i think the dracula movies were filmed in hollywood
> > >

> Yes, I think so, too.
> However, I saw sometimes background TV-reports on the real
> Carpathians' area with its /dark appearing/ castles and so on.
>
> In L.A. I spent half a day at the Universal Studios. And, e.g., I
> remember the scary wooden house of Hitchcock's "Psycho".
>
> As you compare the Virginian Mountains with the Carpathians, I've
> meanwhile recalled that I know the landscape
>
> http://www.virginiawind.com/virginia_travel/waltons_mountain.asp

i have never been to that particular city, but it is closer to
charlottesville, I believe, than Roanoke. So it is somewhat out of the
way
although ironically, probably half way between roanoke and dc.

the hurricane is hitting the coast now. while i don't think it will
hit dc the way it hit us two years ago, the after effects may yet get
us as they have in the past

that means i am going to dig into the saved candles

mk5000

"i had some insecurity about not having lines at first."--paulie g

Frank Kalder

Aug 29, 2005, 3:17:58 AM8/29/05
marika schrieb:
> Frank Kalder wrote:

[Carpathians]

> it was a trip to visit family but the carpathians are quite large and
> go much beyond rumania

Yeah, they extend from Czech Republic (in the northwest) across
Slovakia, Poland, Ukraine, Romania (central area) and Hungary down to
Serbia (in the south); - see more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpathian_Mountains

Here are IMO some nice pics:

http://romania-europe.tripod.com/carpathians.html

At some places though, it looks rather like in the most pittoresque
Yosemite Park scene in California.

Your beautiful first name "Marika" sounds to me rather Hungarian.
Is that an appropriate guess?

Did you know the famous Hungarian

http://www.filmzeitung.de/article.php?article_file=1084825146.txt&printview=1

comedy-dancing movie star "Marika Röck"?

[...]

> > http://www.virginiawind.com/virginia_travel/waltons_mountain.asp
>
> i have never been to that particular city, but it is closer to
> charlottesville, I believe, than Roanoke. So it is somewhat out of the
> way
> although ironically, probably half way between roanoke and dc.

ACK, of course.

I mentioned Schuyler (with its museum) only in order to let you and
Lester know that I'm a bit familiar with the Virginian "Blue Ridge
Mountains".

Here [http://www.nps.gov/blri] I've found a nice autumn pic - as
Lester had suggested (at the thread "Greek authors...") that I
might consider another trip (once more) to Nashville (Tennessee) at
that colourful season. Driving through the Appalachians /then/ must be
wonderful. On a business flight trip, I was once, some years ago, in
Charlotte (NC). And when I drove by car, at my first time, from New
York to Fort Worth (Texas), I didn't see much of those beautiful
mountain regions (in the midst of winter in January & mostly passing by
at night).

> the hurricane is hitting the coast now. while i don't think it will
> hit dc the way it hit us two years ago, the after effects may yet get
> us as they have in the past

Yes, we (over here in Germany) get those reports always by TV. I
suppose Hurricane Katrina (a powerful Category 5 hurricane (up to 160
mph)) is basically hitting the Louisiana and neighbouring states'
area.

> that means i am going to dig into the saved candles

Yeah, for safety sake, though.

A few days ago, some large parts of Switzerland, Austria and Bavaria
have been destroyed by extreme rainfalls. Many people died as their
houses were wiped away and a great number of inhabitants and tourists
were cut off (without electricity) by interrupted highways and railroad
lines.

CU, Frank

--
www.haplif.de & www.haplif.de/61820.html

Lester Mosley

Aug 29, 2005, 7:24:05 AM8/29/05

Pay no attention to Happydog. I think he is going senile.

marika

Aug 29, 2005, 7:26:14 PM8/29/05

Lester Mosley wrote:

> Pay no attention to Happydog.

so, who do you think he is trying to con?

Also, nothing was ever his and nothing ever will be

>I think he is going senile.

who is he trying to get to rollover?

men always think they own people, and women are dumb enough to believe
them

mk5000

"This is my truth, this is our victory / The blood will flow down from
the sky, angels reaping all of you, faithful or not / The moon will
turn to fire, the sky to ash, sickles reaping all of us, faithful or
not / And we will wait here, swords drawn, ready to fight for you"--
alove for enmies, harveset

marika

Aug 29, 2005, 7:36:03 PM8/29/05

Frank Kalder wrote:

> Here are IMO some nice pics:

indeed they are

> http://romania-europe.tripod.com/carpathians.html
>

> At some places though, it looks rather like in the most pittoresque
> Yosemite Park scene in California.
>
> Your beautiful first name "Marika" sounds to me rather Hungarian.
> Is that an appropriate guess?

this is the second time someone has guessed hungarian this month.
thus, it is certainly an appropriate guess. but it is ukrainian

> Did you know the famous Hungarian
>
> http://www.filmzeitung.de/article.php?article_file=1084825146.txt&printview=1
>
> comedy-dancing movie star "Marika Röck"?

i have never seen her in a movie, but i had heard her name before,

> [...]
>
> > > http://www.virginiawind.com/virginia_travel/waltons_mountain.asp
> >
> > i have never been to that particular city, but it is closer to
> > charlottesville, I believe, than Roanoke. So it is somewhat out of the
> > way
> > although ironically, probably half way between roanoke and dc.
> >

> ACK, of course.
>
> I mentioned Schuyler (with its museum) only in order to let you and
> Lester know that I'm a bit familiar with the Virginian "Blue Ridge
> Mountains".
>
> Here [http://www.nps.gov/blri] I've found a nice autumn pic - as
> Lester had suggested (at the thread "Greek authors...") that I
> might consider another trip (once more) to Nashville (Tennessee) at
> that colourful season. Driving through the Appalachians /then/ must be
> wonderful.

It really is. I used to when really tired just go cruising on the blue
ridge parkway. it is really relaxing. even if you hate to drive

>On a business flight trip, I was once, some years ago, in
> Charlotte (NC). And when I drove by car, at my first time, from New
> York to Fort Worth (Texas), I didn't see much of those beautiful
> mountain regions (in the midst of winter in January & mostly passing by
> at night).

you need to be on the other side of NC, west.

> > the hurricane is hitting the coast now. while i don't think it will
> > hit dc the way it hit us two years ago, the after effects may yet get
> > us as they have in the past
> >
> Yes, we (over here in Germany) get those reports always by TV. I
> suppose Hurricane Katrina (a powerful Category 5 hurricane (up to 160
> mph)) is basically hitting the Louisiana and neighbouring states'
> area.

we have heard dire reports all day. the lashback is expected to give
us approximately three days of storms up here, though hopefully without
the winds.
they say that after such a storm, the temperature goes up unseasonally

> > that means i am going to dig into the saved candles
> >

> Yeah, for safety sake, though.
>
> A few days ago, some large parts of Switzerland, Austria and Bavaria
> have been destroyed by extreme rainfalls.

>Many people died as their
> houses were wiped away and a great number of inhabitants and tourists
> were cut off (without electricity) by interrupted highways and railroad
> lines.

I am very sorry to hear that

mk5000

"Time won't save our souls," black rebel motorcycle club,
'Howl'

Frank Kalder

Aug 30, 2005, 3:40:11 AM8/30/05
marika wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:

[was: Shaq likes the Roanoke/Bedford Area]

[Carpathian pics (link as given)]
[

> > At some places though, it looks rather like in the most pittoresque
> > Yosemite Park scene in California.
> >
> > Your beautiful first name "Marika" sounds to me rather Hungarian.
> > Is that an appropriate guess?
>
> this is the second time someone has guessed hungarian this month.
> thus, it is certainly an appropriate guess. but it is ukrainian

Yeah, Marika, I'm glad to hear that.

There are currently many Ukrainians over here in Germany -
particularly I've seen them at Wiesbaden.

Formerly I thought Ukrainians, Russians, Moldavians /and so on/ would
be all the same - more or less - within the USSR. Nowadays and
particularly upon the last election (several days of demonstration in
Kiev), we noticed that there is a deep agony towards Russia (?) or its
government under Wladimir Putin.

Did you (by yourself) or your parents respectively ancestors immigrate
to the U.S.?

> > ["Marika Röck"]

> i have never seen her in a movie, but i had heard her name before

ACK :-)

> > [Virginian "Blue Ridge Mountains"]

> > Here [http://www.nps.gov/blri] I've found a nice autumn pic - as
> > Lester had suggested (at the thread "Greek authors...") that I
> > might consider another trip (once more) to Nashville (Tennessee) at
> > that colourful season. Driving through the Appalachians /then/ must be
> > wonderful.
>

> It really is. I used to when really tired just go cruising on the blue
> ridge parkway. it is really relaxing. even if you hate to drive

I compassionately believe in that :-)
U're lucky to have such an opportunity.
The same is possible /adjacent to Wiesbaden/ in the Taunus mountains.

When I drove back (with my Firebird) from San Francisco via Chicago and
Wilmington to Washington, DC, I passed the Pennsylvanian Appalachians
(at daytime).

http://groups.google.de/group/soc.culture.greek/msg/6fd7b1249f4be871

But as I had a tight time schedule (for business negotiations) I did
not see much of the /certainly/ very beautiful mountain area. I do
recall, though, heavy traffic on huge highways - steadily winding up
and down. I didn't make any stop between Chicago (Illinois) and
Wilmington (Delaware).

> >On a business flight trip, I was once, some years ago, in
> > Charlotte (NC). And when I drove by car, at my first time, from New
> > York to Fort Worth (Texas), I didn't see much of those beautiful
> > mountain regions (in the midst of winter in January & mostly passing by
> > at night).
>
> you need to be on the other side of NC, west.

Thanks! Now I've looked it up on a map, too.

> > > the hurricane is hitting the coast now. while i don't think it will
> > > hit dc the way it hit us two years ago, the after effects may yet get
> > > us as they have in the past
> > >
> > Yes, we (over here in Germany) get those reports always by TV. I
> > suppose Hurricane Katrina (a powerful Category 5 hurricane (up to 160
> > mph)) is basically hitting the Louisiana and neighbouring states'
> > area.
>
> we have heard dire reports all day. the lashback is expected to give
> us approximately three days of storms up here, though hopefully without
> the winds.
> they say that after such a storm, the temperature goes up unseasonally

How many degrees, perhaps?

[Hurricane Katrina]

"For New Orleans - a dangerously vulnerable city because it sits
mostly below sea level in a bowl-shaped depression - it was not the
apocalyptic storm forecasters had feared" (San Francisco Chronicle of
August 29).

> > A few days ago, some large parts of Switzerland, Austria and
> > Bavaria have been destroyed by extreme rainfalls.
> > Many people died as their houses were wiped
> > away and a great number of inhabitants and tourists
> > were cut off (without electricity) by interrupted
> > highways and railroad lines.
> >

> I am very sorry to hear that

Meanwhile most of the highways and railroads are a little bit repaired,
or the local communities can be reached and left at least by some
strange deviations right through the plain fields (etc).

marika

Aug 30, 2005, 6:38:37 PM8/30/05

Frank Kalder wrote:

> Yeah, Marika, I'm glad to hear that.
>
> There are currently many Ukrainians over here in Germany -
> particularly I've seen them at Wiesbaden.

yeah. This is true. I have a family of distant cousins living
somewhere in Germany, but I have never met them.
I only found out about it in the past 10 years.

> Formerly I thought Ukrainians, Russians, Moldavians /and so on/ would
> be all the same - more or less - within the USSR.

Only in the same way as Germans and Dutch are the same because they are
in the same part of a map.

Lots of similarities, lots of differences

>Nowadays and
> particularly upon the last election (several days of demonstration in
> Kiev), we noticed that there is a deep agony towards Russia (?) or its
> government under Wladimir Putin.

well without going into history of traditions of hate, which i find
uninteresting, and noting that I am not a native of Ukraine, I will
further note that part of the ill will towards Russia in Ukraine has to
do with economic policies that disfavor them. A story that is more
complicated than I can provide. The candidate who lost was sponsored
by Putin, who, it was felt, has a corrupt government and that by
extension, his candidate did also. That corruption, bribery and hugger
mugger was considered a major reason why Ukraine could not prevail in
moving forward with economic development. I think that is the gist of
it, though certainly a naive portrayal of it.

> Did you (by yourself) or your parents respectively ancestors immigrate
> to the U.S.?

my parents immigrated to us, i was born here.

> > > ["Marika Röck"]
> >
> > i have never seen her in a movie, but i had heard her name before
> >

> ACK :-)

You know who I really like as far as actors. Now Bruce Campbell
ROCKS!! But I cannot put an umlaut on top of the rocks. I saw him in
something last week -- and now I cannot remember what -- but he made me
laugh. he is so campy. you need to rent some of his stuff. brisco
county Jr was a GREAT SHOW!!he is adorable. He is a
cult star.
Some people btw imagined he might get the part as the live action Tick
Movie. Instead they gave it to Patrick Warburton. Who is sort of
cute, but such a one note.

> > > [Virginian "Blue Ridge Mountains"]
> > >
> > > Here [http://www.nps.gov/blri] I've found a nice autumn pic - as
> > > Lester had suggested (at the thread "Greek authors...") that I
> > > might consider another trip (once more) to Nashville (Tennessee) at
> > > that colourful season. Driving through the Appalachians /then/ must be
> > > wonderful.
> >

> > It really is. I used to when really tired just go cruising on the blue
> > ridge parkway. it is really relaxing. even if you hate to drive
> >

> I compassionately believe in that :-)

You go right ahead and be in love with this

> U're lucky to have such an opportunity.
> The same is possible /adjacent to Wiesbaden/ in the Taunus mountains.

I will never tell. It'll be our secret

> When I drove back (with my Firebird) from San Francisco via Chicago and
> Wilmington to Washington, DC, I passed the Pennsylvanian Appalachians
> (at daytime).
>
> http://groups.google.de/group/soc.culture.greek/msg/6fd7b1249f4be871

I am not that familiar with that side of PA.

> But as I had a tight time schedule (for business negotiations) I did
> not see much of the /certainly/ very beautiful mountain area. I do
> recall, though, heavy traffic on huge highways - steadily winding up
> and down. I didn't make any stop between Chicago (Illinois) and
> Wilmington (Delaware).
>
> > >On a business flight trip, I was once, some years ago, in
> > > Charlotte (NC). And when I drove by car, at my first time, from New
> > > York to Fort Worth (Texas), I didn't see much of those beautiful
> > > mountain regions (in the midst of winter in January & mostly passing by
> > > at night).
> >
> > you need to be on the other side of NC, west.
> >

> Thanks! Now I've looked it up on a map, too.

The mountains in NC that are in Asheville are particularly notable.
tho also called the Blue Ridge, this range is referred to as the Smoky
Mountains, which also extends into Tennessee. Different completely in
look and feel than the Va mountains, but no less beautiful. Check on
Biltmore estate for a little historical reading about this area. And
also, to see some interesting architecture, design and fashion.

> > > Yes, we (over here in Germany) get those reports always by TV. I
> > > suppose Hurricane Katrina (a powerful Category 5 hurricane (up to 160
> > > mph)) is basically hitting the Louisiana and neighbouring states'
> > > area.
> >
> > we have heard dire reports all day. the lashback is expected to give
> > us approximately three days of storms up here, though hopefully without
> > the winds.
> > they say that after such a storm, the temperature goes up unseasonally
> >

> How many degrees, perhaps?

I had heard this information from a nonprofessional weatherman, that
is, a colleague in my office. I didn't ask.

> [Hurricane Katrina]
>
> "For New Orleans - a dangerously vulnerable city because it sits
> mostly below sea level in a bowl-shaped depression - it was not the
> apocalyptic storm forecasters had feared" (San Francisco Chronicle of
> August 29).

Oh it is just terrible. I think the SF reporter does not have it right.

I have found some of my friends from that area, managed to get through
to them. They are living in temporary quarters. They were told that
they could not return to the city for at least a week, and then only if
they had ID demonstrating residence and then only to take belongings
that might still be located.

I am aware of a 20 story office building being under water.

mk5000

"They say Jada defeated him/ Joe too street for him/ What's next, I
guess, it's for Nas to ether him."--mc burial, nas

Frank Kalder

Aug 31, 2005, 2:59:15 AM8/31/05
marika wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:
> >

> > There are currently many Ukrainians over here in Germany -
> > particularly I've seen them at Wiesbaden.
>
> Yeah. This is true. I have a family of distant cousins living

> somewhere in Germany, but I have never met them.
> I only found out about it in the past 10 years.

Btw, I suppose the famous Ukrainian boxing Klitschko brothers

http://www.klitschko.com/en/ist.php

live recently /most of the time/ in Germany . Are they well-known
"sport stars" in the US, too?

> > Formerly I thought Ukrainians, Russians, Moldavians /and so on/ would
> > be all the same - more or less - within the USSR.
>
> Only in the same way as Germans and Dutch are the same because they are
> in the same part of a map.
>

> Lots of similarities, lots of differences.

The Dutch are speaking their own language that is, of course, somewhat
similar to German. But, we cannot understand it at hearing; - at
reading a little bit, tho.

Do the Ukrainians speak Russian (officially)?
Or do all speak their mother tongue (is it Ukrainian)?
What do you and your parents speak in that regard (besides of English)?

> > Nowadays and
> > particularly upon the last election (several days of demonstration in
> > Kiev), we noticed that there is a deep agony towards Russia (?) or its
> > government under Wladimir Putin.
>
> well without going into history of traditions of hate, which i find
> uninteresting, and noting that I am not a native of Ukraine, I will
> further note that part of the ill will towards Russia in Ukraine has to
> do with economic policies that disfavor them. A story that is more
> complicated than I can provide. The candidate who lost was sponsored
> by Putin, who, it was felt, has a corrupt government and that by
> extension, his candidate did also. That corruption, bribery and hugger
> mugger was considered a major reason why Ukraine could not prevail in
> moving forward with economic development. I think that is the gist of
> it, though certainly a naive portrayal of it.

This, Marika, is exactly the approach I've got thru the German media
(before, during and after the last election).

> > Did you (by yourself) or your parents respectively ancestors immigrate
> > to the U.S.?
>
> my parents immigrated to us, i was born here.

[...]

> You know who I really like as far as actors. Now Bruce Campbell
> ROCKS!! But I cannot put an umlaut on top of the rocks. I saw him in
> something last week -- and now I cannot remember what -- but he made me
> laugh. he is so campy. you need to rent some of his stuff.

http://www.bruce-campbell.com

Thus far, I did not know him in particular. I'll watch out for your
'really liked' & laugh generating 'Campy' in the future.

> brisco county Jr was a GREAT SHOW!!
> he is adorable. He is a cult star.

http://www.theoasis.com/brisco/episodes/episode-guide.php

Is it this one?

> Some people btw imagined he might get the part as the live action Tick
> Movie. Instead they gave it to Patrick Warburton. Who is sort of
> cute, but such a one note.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0911320

Thanks for those special hints, Marika!

What, in particular, would you recommend I should possibly rent or
order from both of them?

[...]

[Cruising on the Blue Ridge Parkway --> really relaxing]

> > I compassionately believe in that :-)
>
> You go right ahead and be in love with this
>
> > U're lucky to have such an opportunity.
> > The same is possible /adjacent to Wiesbaden/ in the Taunus mountains.
>
> I will never tell. It'll be our secret

--> pssst :-)

> > When I drove back (with my Firebird) from San Francisco via Chicago and
> > Wilmington to Washington, DC, I passed the Pennsylvanian Appalachians
> > (at daytime).
> >

> I am not that familiar with that side of PA.

ACK.

[...]

> The mountains in NC that are in Asheville are particularly notable.
> tho also called the Blue Ridge, this range is referred to as the Smoky
> Mountains, which also extends into Tennessee. Different completely in
> look and feel than the Va mountains, but no less beautiful.

I've got, at the Asheville page, a link to this website

http://www.carolinaland.com

with some very nice photos.

Btw, the very small pic on this page

http://www.great.smoky.mountains.national-park.com

gives, maybe, some idea why those mountains might be called
"smoky".

> Check on Biltmore estate
> for a little historical reading about this area. And
> also, to see some interesting architecture, design and fashion.

http://www.biltmore.com

Wow, that's quite a splendid place! It's really amazing...

It basically reminds me, btw, at the French chateau "Chambord"

http://www.schaetze-der-welt.de/denkmal.php?id=161

in the Loire area. I had /only once/ made a trip to see almost all of
these world-famous Loire chateaus.

[...]

[Hurricane Katrina]

> Oh it is just terrible. I think the SF reporter does not have it right.

Yes, that was indeed, unfortunately, too quick and early.

> I have found some of my friends from that area, managed to get through
> to them. They are living in temporary quarters. They were told that
> they could not return to the city for at least a week, and then only if
> they had ID demonstrating residence and then only to take belongings
> that might still be located.
>
> I am aware of a 20 story office building being under water.

Yes, that is a terribly awful situation.

Afterwards, as a dam broke, New Orleans (I was there some years ago)
has been flooded. The local Hyatt Hotel, e.g., lost all its windows ...

"THE WORST-CASE scenario, or something close to it, has befallen
southern Louisiana and its Gulf Coast neighbors, Alabama and
Mississippi. Hurricane Katrina's howling, lethal force has dealt an
immense blow to the region, exacting a shattering price in treasure and
lives. As a human tragedy, Katrina's magnitude is still difficult to
comprehend, but spare statistics hint at it: tens of thousands of homes
destroyed; 2.5 million people without power; a death toll running into
dozens and possibly scores."

For more (Washington Post of August 31):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/30/AR2005083001554.html

We have seen (yesterday evening) on German TV "the devastation in
Gulfport, Biloxi and other communities that were breathtaking, but one
could only guess at the fate of smaller, more isolated towns along the
coast cut off by destroyed roadways." It is hoped "that National
Guard manpower, supplemented by active-duty Army troops if necessary,
is sufficient to respond quickly to the immense needs of those places.
The human response must be equal to the devastation wrought by
nature." [Quotes from WP]

gogu

Aug 31, 2005, 8:15:20 AM8/31/05
? "Frank Kalder" <edi...@haplif.de> ?????? ??? ??????
marika wrote:

>> > Your beautiful first name "Marika" sounds to me rather Hungarian.
>> > Is that an appropriate guess?

>> this is the second time someone has guessed hungarian this month.
>> thus, it is certainly an appropriate guess. but it is ukrainian

Herta region maybe ?

>Yeah, Marika, I'm glad to hear that.

>There are currently many Ukrainians over here in Germany -
>particularly I've seen them at Wiesbaden.

>Formerly I thought Ukrainians, Russians, Moldavians /and so on/ would
>be all the same - more or less - within the USSR.

The "same" in what meaning Frank ?
Moldavians* (if we can speak about such an ethnicity, which there is not...)
are Romanians, they have nothing to do with Russians, Ukrainians, etc.
Romanians are descendants of Dacians and Romans accordingly to most
scholars, Russians and Ukrainians are Slavs...

>Nowadays and
>particularly upon the last election (several days of demonstration in
>Kiev), we noticed that there is a deep agony towards Russia (?) or its
>government under Wladimir Putin.

There is an ancestral "fear" towards Russia in those populations and not
without a good reason...
Let's hope new generations in Central/Eastern Europe will live better than
their forefathers...

* Moldova is actually a region of Romania, just like Bavaria in Germany.
Tara Romaneasca, Ardeal (Transilvania) and Moldova are the 3 historical
regions of Romania.
For the first time in 1812 Russian annexes half of Moldova (Basarabia) after
the Russian-Turkish war of 1806-1812.

Rgrds

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and more: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html
http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

marika

Aug 31, 2005, 6:03:38 PM8/31/05

gogu wrote:

> Herta region maybe ?

do you mean where are my family from? the western side. I don't know
where herta is. I think what used to be called Galicia. Now is
Halychyna and I think Ivano Frankisvk Oblast. BUt I forget. I could
be mixing things up with other people's families.

Okay, so I accidentally discovered a great trick and I spent several
minutes
amusing myself by confusing my family with other families. Although,
that can be fun too. Now, back to the previous subject.

it's a family name - I was named after my mother's favorite aunt

mk5000

"do you feel like a remnant of something that's past / do you find
things are moving just a little too fast / do you hope to find new ways
of quenching your thirst / do you hope to find new ways of doing better
than your worst?"--hazy jane i, nick drake

marika

Aug 31, 2005, 6:26:10 PM8/31/05

Frank Kalder wrote:> >

> Btw, I suppose the famous Ukrainian boxing Klitschko brothers
>
> http://www.klitschko.com/en/ist.php
>
> live recently /most of the time/ in Germany . Are they well-known
> "sport stars" in the US, too?

if you are a boxing fan, then use they are well known. i know boxing
is very popular in the US. So yes , my impression is that they are
well known but not outside of the sport

> > > Formerly I thought Ukrainians, Russians, Moldavians /and so on/ would
> > > be all the same - more or less - within the USSR.
> >
> > Only in the same way as Germans and Dutch are the same because they are
> > in the same part of a map.
> >
> > Lots of similarities, lots of differences.
> >

> The Dutch are speaking their own language that is, of course, somewhat
> similar to German. But, we cannot understand it at hearing; - at
> reading a little bit, tho.

then I think you have perceived perfectly what i meant

> Do the Ukrainians speak Russian (officially)?

it is not the official language now. since it was the official
language during the entirety of the soviet era, which is a very long
time, there is still a tendency for it to be spoken in the large
cities. soviet policies, i have heard, tried to homogenize by sending
ukrainians to russia and russians to ukraine. thus, there are many
russians, who after generations, continue to speak russian, but who are
natives of ukraine. this is most common in the east and probably in
crimea. but crimea has yet a different historical reason since it was
also the location of the tsarist navies that spoke russian and also,
many russians had summer homes there. so russian is commonly heard.

> Or do all speak their mother tongue (is it Ukrainian)?

since the time of independence, ukrainian has been the official
language, but as stated above, russian is quite prevalent

> What do you and your parents speak in that regard (besides of English)?

i speak ukrainian at home. My parents had russian, officially, in
school for about a year when growing up. so they do not speak it with
any preference. since they are both from the west, they grew up during
polish and german occupation, variously and various years. back and
forth. so they speak those two languages better than russian. even so
i only heard either of these rarely. my father also spoke yiddish and
i think hungarian. he said he spoke about seven languages, but they
have been here for so long that they don't speak anything really
anymore except english and ukrainian.

if i am exposed to any of the above, - except hungarian - for about a
week at a time, i generally recover the ability to converse in those
languages. but i am really just an american so i don't have very much
opportunity to hear or speak anything but american english

yes very funny and campy

> > Some people btw imagined he might get the part as the live action Tick
> > Movie. Instead they gave it to Patrick Warburton. Who is sort of
> > cute, but such a one note.
> >

> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0911320
>
> Thanks for those special hints, Marika!
>
> What, in particular, would you recommend I should possibly rent or
> order from both of them?

if you have ever heard of the show "Seinfeld", Patrick Warburton played
Elaine's boyfriend. He was in another comedy "Newsradio" I think it
was called, and is in another comedy sitcom called "Less than Perfect",
more recent vintage, and plays in my opinion, the same exact character.

I just remembered where I saw Bruce Campbell recently, where I couldn't
stop laughing at him -- SpiderMan 2, he plays an usher. He apparently
had a bit part in the first one too. He has been in any number of
movies, good and bad.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0132257/

but try the Brisco County Jr show and also, if you get a chance, Xena
Warrior Princess, where he played Autolycus as a smarmy half-god thief
in mythological times.

mk5000

"Will dance if they want to dance
Please brother take a chance
You know they're gonna go
Which way they wanna go"--oasis, masterplan

Frank Kalder

Sep 1, 2005, 6:44:35 AM9/1/05
marika wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:

[Ukrainian Klitschko brothers in the US]

> ... So yes, my impression is that they are

> well known but not outside of the sport

ACK.

In Germany they are /generally/ very well known as boxers and (the both
always together) as TV advertising stars - doing /funny/ ads on some
milk products.

[Dutch / German]

> then I think you have perceived perfectly what i meant

Yes, I did.
But I forgot to mention that perhaps the majority of the Dutch knows to
speak German.

That's been very interesting to read and, thus, to get more familiar
with it.

I'm always amazed that many people in the Eastern regions of Europe
know to speak German. Your father is very talented as seven languages
are concerned. I like some Yiddish words or phrases, too. Is your
family Jewish?

I had a lot of very good contacts to Jews (as well in business as
privately) during my Manhattan stay. One of my /very close/ girl
friends (I talked to Lester about her - skiing, etc) was Jewish. Jews
in the US are meanwhile a strong political and social power.

[...]

> > http://www.theoasis.com/brisco/episodes/episode-guide.php
> >
> > Is it this one?
>
> yes very funny and campy
>

> > > Some people btw imagined he might get the part as the live action Tick
> > > Movie. Instead they gave it to Patrick Warburton. Who is sort of
> > > cute, but such a one note.
> > >

> > http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0911320
> >
> > Thanks for those special hints, Marika!
> >
> > What, in particular, would you recommend I should possibly rent or
> > order from both of them?
>
> if you have ever heard of the show "Seinfeld", Patrick Warburton played
> Elaine's boyfriend.

Yes, some years ago I saw it occasionally. But I don't recall the
diverse names in particular. Very funny and a lot of laughter, tho :-)

> He was in another comedy "Newsradio" I think it
> was called, and is in another comedy sitcom called "Less than Perfect",
> more recent vintage, and plays in my opinion, the same exact character.
>
> I just remembered where I saw Bruce Campbell recently, where I couldn't
> stop laughing at him -- SpiderMan 2, he plays an usher. He apparently
> had a bit part in the first one too. He has been in any number of
> movies, good and bad.
>
> http://imdb.com/name/nm0132257/
>
> but try the Brisco County Jr show and also, if you get a chance, Xena
> Warrior Princess, where he played Autolycus as a smarmy half-god thief
> in mythological times.

I'll watch out better /in future/ to get acquainted with these stars
and their shows, comedy sitcoms and movies. We are able to get most of
it in German language (on TV and as DVD).

I'm glad that Gogu joined this discussion. I had invited him at the
other thread (meanwhile renamed "Various Sights [Europe & USA]") as
you may have noticed. He (a Greek, though) has a lot of Romanian and
Carpathian experience and knowledge.

The basic content of "Herta" I have not yet got, tho(?)

CU, Frank

--
www.haplif.de / www.haplif.de/61820.html

Frank Kalder

Sep 1, 2005, 11:59:46 AM9/1/05
gogu wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:
> > marika wrote:

[Ukrainian first name]

> Herta region maybe?

Hi Gogu,

Marika has already replied on that. But, I didn't yet quite get it
what she meant. I suppose you refer to a region, and she's writing
about a family's last name, though.

> >Formerly I thought Ukrainians, Russians, Moldavians /and so on/ would
> >be all the same - more or less - within the USSR.
>
> The "same" in what meaning Frank?

I'd say in the meaning that I could not differentiate among those
nations, their people, languages and cultures.

> Moldavians* (if we can speak about such an ethnicity, which there is not...)
> are Romanians, they have nothing to do with Russians, Ukrainians, etc.
> Romanians are descendants of Dacians and Romans accordingly to most
> scholars, Russians and Ukrainians are Slavs...

Thanks, that's very interesting to know.

> >Nowadays and
> >particularly upon the last election (several days of demonstration in
> >Kiev), we noticed that there is a deep agony towards Russia (?) or its

> >government under Vladimir Putin.

> There is an ancestral "fear" towards Russia in those populations and not
> without a good reason...
> Let's hope new generations in Central/Eastern Europe will live better than
> their forefathers...

Marika gave, fortunately, a very detailed historic and contemporary
insight into that context, particularly in as far as languages are
concerned, in her yesterday's posting.

> * Moldova is actually a region of Romania, just like Bavaria in Germany.
> Tara Romaneasca, Ardeal (Transilvania) and Moldova are the 3 historical
> regions of Romania.
> For the first time in 1812 Russian annexes half of Moldova (Basarabia) after
> the Russian-Turkish war of 1806-1812.

In recent years we had a close contact to a Moldavian business admin.
student in Wiesbaden. He never talked about those matters. Some people
referred to him as "the Russian". Now, I know better. Thanks!

Btw, the websites on Romanian Carpathian ski resorts and medieval
cities are smashing (see "Various Sights [Europe & USA]").

CU, Frank

--
www.haplif.de & www.haplif.de/61820.html

gogu

Sep 1, 2005, 6:26:55 PM9/1/05
? "marika" <marik...@gmail.com> ?????? ??? ??????

> gogu wrote:
>
>> Herta region maybe ?

> do you mean where are my family from? the western side.

I see, Herta is in the south.

> I don't know
> where herta is.

Southern border with Romania.
It was formerly Romanian territory but now it's annexed to Ukraine.

> I think what used to be called Galicia.

Yes.

> Now is
> Halychyna and I think Ivano Frankisvk Oblast. BUt I forget. I could
> be mixing things up with other people's families.
>
> Okay, so I accidentally discovered a great trick and I spent several
> minutes
> amusing myself by confusing my family with other families. Although,
> that can be fun too. Now, back to the previous subject.
>
> it's a family name - I was named after my mother's favorite aunt

Yes, Marika is quite common in central Europe, Germany, etc.

There is also in Greek but as a diminutive of the name "Maria".
But in Greek the accent is on "I" and not on the first "A", MarIka.

rgrds

marika

Sep 1, 2005, 6:42:09 PM9/1/05

gogu wrote:

> >> Herta region maybe ?

is it possible that this is also the territory that some call
hutsulschyna or another one called lemkivschina?

> > do you mean where are my family from? the western side.
>
> I see, Herta is in the south.
>
> > I don't know
> > where herta is.
>
> Southern border with Romania.
> It was formerly Romanian territory but now it's annexed to Ukraine.
>
> > I think what used to be called Galicia.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Now is
> > Halychyna and I think Ivano Frankisvk Oblast. BUt I forget. I could
> > be mixing things up with other people's families.
> >
> > Okay, so I accidentally discovered a great trick and I spent several
> > minutes
> > amusing myself by confusing my family with other families. Although,
> > that can be fun too. Now, back to the previous subject.
> >
> > it's a family name - I was named after my mother's favorite aunt
>
> Yes, Marika is quite common in central Europe, Germany, etc.
>
> There is also in Greek but as a diminutive of the name "Maria".
> But in Greek the accent is on "I" and not on the first "A", MarIka.

well then! you got me. That is exactly what my name is. the
diminutive of maria and the accent on I, pronounced like this
maREEEEEEka.

mk5000

"best friend"--taylor hawkins on dave grohl

marika

Sep 1, 2005, 6:48:56 PM9/1/05

Frank Kalder wrote:
> gogu wrote:
> > Frank Kalder wrote:
> > > marika wrote:
> >

> [Ukrainian first name]
>
> > Herta region maybe?
> >

> Hi Gogu,
>
> Marika has already replied on that. But, I didn't yet quite get it
> what she meant.

yes because of the airconditioning in my head. stupid us.

>I suppose you refer to a region, and she's writing
> about a family's last name, though.

no just trying to remember where my family is from.

> > >Formerly I thought Ukrainians, Russians, Moldavians /and so on/ would
> > >be all the same - more or less - within the USSR.
> >
> > The "same" in what meaning Frank?
> >

> I'd say in the meaning that I could not differentiate among those
> nations, their people, languages and cultures.
>

> > Moldavians* (if we can speak about such an ethnicity, which there is not...)
> > are Romanians, they have nothing to do with Russians, Ukrainians, etc.
> > Romanians are descendants of Dacians and Romans accordingly to most
> > scholars, Russians and Ukrainians are Slavs...
> >

> Thanks, that's very interesting to know.
>
> > >Nowadays and
> > >particularly upon the last election (several days of demonstration in
> > >Kiev), we noticed that there is a deep agony towards Russia (?) or its
> > >government under Vladimir Putin.
> >
> > There is an ancestral "fear" towards Russia in those populations and not
> > without a good reason...
> > Let's hope new generations in Central/Eastern Europe will live better than
> > their forefathers...
> >

> Marika gave, fortunately, a very detailed historic and contemporary
> insight into that context, particularly in as far as languages are
> concerned, in her yesterday's posting.

yes see my pamphlet!

mk5000

"He could answer any question he was asked
With the family Bible and the farmer's almanac
When to plant
When to havest"--
(lee thomas miller/bob regan

marika

Sep 1, 2005, 6:55:48 PM9/1/05

Frank Kalder wrote:

> In Germany they are /generally/ very well known as boxers and (the both
> always together) as TV advertising stars - doing /funny/ ads on some
> milk products.

I have been informed that everything escapes my notice

> [Dutch / German]
> >

> > then I think you have perceived perfectly what i meant
> >

> Yes, I did.
> But I forgot to mention that perhaps the majority of the Dutch knows to
> speak German.

and the reverse is also true?

not now, perhaps in some previous century

> I had a lot of very good contacts to Jews (as well in business as
> privately) during my Manhattan stay.

apparently, manhattan contains many fruit pies and canned vegetables
for our consuming pleasure

mk5000

"they'd do the gig, then Dominic would say he was taking 200 people
back to his flat. He loved that. I thought he was mad -- but he knows
what he's doing"--Alan McGee

gogu

Sep 1, 2005, 7:06:39 PM9/1/05
? "marika" <marik...@gmail.com> ?????? ??? ??????

> is it possible that this is also the territory that some call
> hutsulschyna or another one called lemkivschina?

Hmmmm ... I am not sure, what I know is that the main city there is called
Cernaut.
And it's actually in the south part of western Ukraine, sorry to mislead you
before when I said "south"...

>> Yes, Marika is quite common in central Europe, Germany, etc.
>>
>> There is also in Greek but as a diminutive of the name "Maria".
>> But in Greek the accent is on "I" and not on the first "A", MarIka.

> well then! you got me. That is exactly what my name is. the
> diminutive of maria and the accent on I, pronounced like this
> maREEEEEEka.

I see...
But in central Europe and I believe also in Germany (Frank ?...) the accent
goes on the first A: "mArika"...

Frank Kalder

Sep 2, 2005, 4:27:05 AM9/2/05
marika wrote:

> gogu wrote:
>

> well then! you got me. That is exactly what my name is. the
> diminutive of maria and the accent on I, pronounced like this
> maREEEEEEka.

Yeah! Now we've got it, although I thought the "I" (E) would be
pronounced shorter - in Greek, tho :-)

Frank Kalder

Sep 2, 2005, 4:30:30 AM9/2/05
marika wrote:

> no just trying to remember where my family is from.

ACK.
It's all clarified by now :-)

CU, Frank

--
www.haplif.de & www.haplif.de/61820.html

Frank Kalder

Sep 2, 2005, 4:50:18 AM9/2/05
gogu wrote:

> marika wrote:
> >> Yes, Marika is quite common in central Europe, Germany, etc.
> >>
> >> There is also in Greek but as a diminutive of the name "Maria".
> >> But in Greek the accent is on "I" and not on the first "A", MarIka.
>

> > well then! you got me. That is exactly what my name is. the
> > diminutive of maria and the accent on I, pronounced like this
> > maREEEEEEka.
>
> I see...
> But in central Europe and I believe also in Germany (Frank ?...) the accent
> goes on the first A: "mArika"...

Well, Gogu, I knew this first name from the Hungarian comedy-dancer
Marika Röck. There, the Germans pronounce it with a focus on a short
"I".

But, as far as my perception of some Eastern European words and names
goes, there seems to be a tendency to put the focus on the first
syllable - such as at the "Countess Maritza" (an Emerich Kalman
operette), i.e. "mAritza".

marika

Sep 2, 2005, 5:26:27 PM9/2/05

Frank Kalder wrote:
> Well, Gogu, I knew this first name from the Hungarian comedy-dancer
> Marika Röck. There, the Germans pronounce it with a focus on a short
> "I".
>
> But, as far as my perception of some Eastern European words and names
> goes, there seems to be a tendency to put the focus on the first
> syllable - such as at the "Countess Maritza" (an Emerich Kalman
> operette), i.e. "mAritza".

the secret here, guys, that when written in cyrillic there is one more
letter that I don't transliterate into English and a sound which many
countries might not distinguish

definitely not us-ians.

For german and similar languages, I would have transliterated my name
as Marijka

maybe for americans, i would write mariyka but this just tends to
confuse them, so i don't.

so Frank, now you know more closely how to REALLY pronounce the name,
to the american ear though, it just sounds like a pile of eeeees

"like the Stooges, I'd say we're a bit reckless because of our after
parties. BUt I work hard for my 853 Kamikze Stage Diving Division
members"--dominic masters

Frank Kalder

Sep 3, 2005, 12:29:31 AM9/3/05
marika wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:
>

> For german and similar languages, I would have transliterated my name
> as Marijka
>
> maybe for americans, i would write mariyka but this just tends to
> confuse them, so i don't.

Well sure, for a very practical reason.

> so Frank, now you know more closely how to REALLY pronounce the name,
> to the american ear though, it just sounds like a pile of eeeees

Yes, thanks Marika, that's quite clear now :-)

Frank Kalder

Sep 3, 2005, 12:41:11 AM9/3/05
marika wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:
>

> I have been informed that everything escapes my notice

ACK & ??

> > [Dutch / German]

> > But I forgot to mention that perhaps the majority of the Dutch knows to
> > speak German.
>
> and the reverse is also true?

Hi Marika,

I had answered to this already yesterday but for some strange reason
that posting did not yet show up in the thread.

The Germans do generally neither speak nor understand the Dutch
language, except perhaps a few living right close to the border.

A second part of my answer follows.

Frank Kalder

Sep 3, 2005, 1:03:32 AM9/3/05
marika wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:

_2nd part of my answer_

[Jewish family?]

> not now, perhaps in some previous century

ACK.

> > I had a lot of very good contacts ... during my Manhattan stay.

> apparently, manhattan contains many fruit pies and canned vegetables
> for our consuming pleasure

That cute persiflage sounds to me more "seinfeldy" rather than
"campy". Do you agree?

Well, it was very sportive and culturally stimulating with Judith.
Besides the skiing we did together (as mentioned), we were e.g. ice
skating in the Central Park and on the Fifth Ave. Rockefeller Plaza,
going to numerous stage plays (Off-off-Broadway included), nice
restaurants, her family & friends and occasionally to a synagogue.

I got acquainted with the Manhattan live style already before "Sex
and the City". Did you like those TV series or find them rather
disgusting or alike?

Frank Kalder

Sep 3, 2005, 5:02:26 AM9/3/05
Frank Kalder wrote:
> marika wrote:

_Supplement to the 2nd part of my answer_

Correction:

> I got acquainted with the Manhattan life style already before ...

FK

gogu

Sep 3, 2005, 8:28:20 AM9/3/05
? "Frank Kalder" <edi...@haplif.de> ?????? ??? ??????

> gogu wrote:
>> Frank Kalder wrote:

> Marika has already replied on that. But, I didn't yet quite get it
> what she meant. I suppose you refer to a region, and she's writing
> about a family's last name, though.

Yeah, but that's OK ;-)

>> >Formerly I thought Ukrainians, Russians, Moldavians /and so on/ would
>> >be all the same - more or less - within the USSR.

>> The "same" in what meaning Frank?

> I'd say in the meaning that I could not differentiate among those
> nations, their people, languages and cultures.

Hmmm ... so I suppose you mean anthropologically in the first place.
No, those are of Slavic ethnic stock, Moldavian are as I said of (most)
Latin ethnic stock.
The language is also a Romanic language, it has nothing to do with Slavic
languages.
Of course there are borrows from Slav but only words, not the structure of
the grammar.
Strange enough, for every Slav borrow there is also a Romanic word !
Time = Vreme = Timp
Little street = Ulitsa = Strada/Stradutsa
And so on...

>> >Nowadays and
>> >particularly upon the last election (several days of demonstration in
>> >Kiev), we noticed that there is a deep agony towards Russia (?) or its
>> >government under Vladimir Putin.

>> There is an ancestral "fear" towards Russia in those populations and not
>> without a good reason...
>> Let's hope new generations in Central/Eastern Europe will live better
>> than
>> their forefathers...

> Marika gave, fortunately, a very detailed historic and contemporary
> insight into that context, particularly in as far as languages are
> concerned, in her yesterday's posting.

Let's hope this "fear" will cease to exist among younger generations...

>> * Moldova is actually a region of Romania, just like Bavaria in Germany.
>> Tara Romaneasca, Ardeal (Transilvania) and Moldova are the 3 historical
>> regions of Romania.
>> For the first time in 1812 Russian annexes half of Moldova (Basarabia)
>> after
>> the Russian-Turkish war of 1806-1812.

> In recent years we had a close contact to a Moldavian business admin.
> student in Wiesbaden. He never talked about those matters. Some people
> referred to him as "the Russian". Now, I know better. Thanks!

No problem :-)
I would expect such behavior from your contact, these matters are usually
taboo for those people...
But bear in mind that there are also Russians in Moldova, so he was probably
in of those Russians...
If you give me (even in private) his family name I could tell you if he was
Russian or Romanian...

> Btw, the websites on Romanian Carpathian ski resorts and medieval
> cities are smashing (see "Various Sights [Europe & USA]").

If you ever decide to spend some time there, drop me a line and we can
arrange something together ;-)
But only boys, no wives, deal ?;-)

gogu

Sep 3, 2005, 8:30:52 AM9/3/05
? "Frank Kalder" <edi...@haplif.de> ?????? ??? ??????

gogu wrote:
>> I see...
>> But in central Europe and I believe also in Germany (Frank ?...) the
>> accent
>> goes on the first A: "mArika"...

>Well, Gogu, I knew this first name from the Hungarian comedy-dancer
>Marika Röck. There, the Germans pronounce it with a focus on a short
>"I".

>But, as far as my perception of some Eastern European words and names
>goes, there seems to be a tendency to put the focus on the first
>syllable - such as at the "Countess Maritza" (an Emerich Kalman
>operette), i.e. "mAritza".

That's what I know.
In Hungary for instance I've heard many times the name marika been
pronounced as mArika...
Maybe it's the central European (=Slavic languages = Hungarian, Czech, etc)
which are pronouncing as such ?...

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

CU, Frank

gogu

Sep 3, 2005, 8:32:22 AM9/3/05
? "Frank Kalder" <edi...@haplif.de> ?????? ??? ??????
> marika wrote:
>> gogu wrote:

>> well then! you got me. That is exactly what my name is. the
>> diminutive of maria and the accent on I, pronounced like this
>> maREEEEEEka.

> Yeah! Now we've got it, although I thought the "I" (E) would be
> pronounced shorter - in Greek, tho :-)

It *is* pronounced shorter ;-)
In Greek we don't have long pronounced letters.

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

marika

Sep 3, 2005, 9:26:30 AM9/3/05

gogu wrote:>
> That's what I know.
> In Hungary for instance I've heard many times the name marika been
> pronounced as mArika...
> Maybe it's the central European (=Slavic languages = Hungarian, Czech, etc)
> which are pronouncing as such ?...

brief notation for clarity's sake:
hungarian isn't a slavic language

polish has a rule where you have to give accent to second before last
syllable so that is what might account for accent change after the
german part of europe

i think for my family it is just a case of greek, german and slavic
words knocking boots at night even if they kicked in boots in the day

watching the louisiana thing on the news has been upsetting. The
thing that sticks in my head, after noting an email o nmy listserve
about the recent european floods

<<The troops are clearing river beds, building dikes and rebuilding
bridges, houses and roads, Defence Minister Vesselin Bliznakov told
bTV television on Monday.>>--afp circa 8/22/05

then the iraqi bridge collapse

and then the endless louisiana and missisppi bridge desctruction

I am put in mind of William Gibson's "All Tomorrow's Parties" which
ends with this theme.

I can't wait to get to the sequel where i will find what happened when
the Idoru got transmitted all over the universe through the matter
transfer machine in the lucky drugstore

mk5000

"we just kept turning up everything louder and louder, but there was
something beautiful about that. We would talk to journalists and they
would say 'there are times during your show when I couldn't tell if you
were making fun of rock n roll or you believe what you are
doing'"--billy corgan

marika

Sep 3, 2005, 9:39:14 AM9/3/05

gogu wrote:>
> Hmmm ... so I suppose you mean anthropologically in the first place.
> No, those are of Slavic ethnic stock, Moldavian are as I said of (most)
> Latin ethnic stock.
> The language is also a Romanic language, it has nothing to do with Slavic
> languages.
> Of course there are borrows from Slav but only words, not the structure of
> the grammar.
> Strange enough, for every Slav borrow there is also a Romanic word !
> Time = Vreme = Timp
> Little street = Ulitsa = Strada/Stradutsa
> And so on...

but isn't it true that both have deeper roots of the so called indo
european origin that even though they diverged at one point, they were
cousins some millenia ago

slavic also uses the word chas (czas) for time,
and i don't remember the exact meaning of vreme
but i also thought that in some slavic languages it really means more
like era, than time specifically
i also think it is cute how english says hour and germans say uhr. and
french say something like horolage for watch.

wieviel uhr?
my mother loves that part of Casablanca where the refugees are learning
English.

which watch liebchen? She says whenever she wants to know the time.

and always remember the movie and I say, ten watch mom!

gogu can you fill in some of my hour and time words from other
languages

which reminds me I saw the movie Napoleon Dynamite and they have the
same couch as do. well someone gave it to me so that explains a lot

I decided that may be a good thing

I love all the words for couch in English, sofa, davenport, love seat,
cleopatra bed,
and then all the others ones in the other languages.
I also love that word fotel/fauteille (sp?)

if you want to fill those in for me too that would be neat

i don't have a wife so I won't bring one deal. But, I have long since
stopped skiing. I used to be good as a teen, but I don't think I would
do well again, though I do plan to after I retire return to it because
I want to do aerial skiing. Sure like that's gonna happen

mk5000

"Blank page was all the rage never meant to say anything in bed I was
half dead tired of dreaming of rest got dressed drove the state line
looking for you at the five and dime stop sign"--smashing pumpkins

gogu

Sep 3, 2005, 9:42:45 AM9/3/05
? "marika" <marik...@gmail.com> ?????? ??? ??????

> gogu wrote:>
>> That's what I know.
>> In Hungary for instance I've heard many times the name marika been
>> pronounced as mArika...
>> Maybe it's the central European (=Slavic languages = Hungarian, Czech,
>> etc)
>> which are pronouncing as such ?...

> brief notation for clarity's sake:
> hungarian isn't a slavic language

OK, OK, Fino-Ugric if you wish but with quite many borrows from Slavic
languages ;-)
It belongs to the Uralo-Altaic family of languages.
And to be more precise, it belongs to the Fino-Ugric branch of the
Ural-Altaic language tree.
http://www.intersolinc.com/newsletters/newsletter_41.htm

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

gogu

Sep 3, 2005, 9:59:52 AM9/3/05
? "marika" <marik...@gmail.com> ?????? ??? ??????

> gogu wrote:>
>> Hmmm ... so I suppose you mean anthropologically in the first place.
>> No, those are of Slavic ethnic stock, Moldavian are as I said of (most)
>> Latin ethnic stock.
>> The language is also a Romanic language, it has nothing to do with Slavic
>> languages.
>> Of course there are borrows from Slav but only words, not the structure
>> of
>> the grammar.
>> Strange enough, for every Slav borrow there is also a Romanic word !
>> Time = Vreme = Timp
>> Little street = Ulitsa = Strada/Stradutsa
>> And so on...

> but isn't it true that both have deeper roots of the so called indo
> european origin that even though they diverged at one point, they were
> cousins some millenia ago

:-)
Marika, if you want to go so far back, according to Indo-Europists *every*
(or almost every) European language is a cousin to the others ;-)
Languages may have evolved from an original proto-Indo-European language but
they have evolved and today they look so different...
You can catalogue them in big families though, as the Romanic languages,
Slavic languages, etc.

> slavic also uses the word chas (czas) for time,

I think not.
"Chas" which you can find it also in ... Romanian (:-)) under the form of
"ceas" (c= pronounced "ts") means hour or even the clock you are wearing in
your hand.
In Romanian actually it means:
- hand clock
- hour

> and i don't remember the exact meaning of vreme

Vreme is time.
You can see it in Russian tv when the news are beginning.
In Romanian it has also the meaning of "weather".
"Cum e vremea" ?
= "how is the weather" ?

> but i also thought that in some slavic languages it really means more
> like era,

Exactly !
It also means that but it's the less frequent meaning/use of this word.
Romanian:
"ce vremuri bune"
= "what nice times" "what noice era".

> than time specifically
> i also think it is cute how english says hour and germans say uhr. and
> french say something like horolage for watch.

In the link I provided to my other reply to you, you'll find a link where
you can see such similarities/transformations :-)

> gogu can you fill in some of my hour and time words from other
> languages

Sure if I can !
But bear in mind I am not a linguist :-)

> I love all the words for couch in English, sofa, davenport, love seat,
> cleopatra bed,
> and then all the others ones in the other languages.
> I also love that word fotel/fauteille (sp?)
>
> if you want to fill those in for me too that would be neat

In what language ?
I can do that in Romanian if you want and in Italian.

>> If you ever decide to spend some time there, drop me a line and we can
>> arrange something together ;-)
>> But only boys, no wives, deal ?;-)

> i don't have a wife so I won't bring one deal.

???
I thought you were female, so "husband" would be the appropriate term don't
you think ?;-)

> But, I have long since
> stopped skiing.

Oh, I am not good either, Frank will probably laugh on us ;-)

marika

Sep 3, 2005, 10:01:22 AM9/3/05

Frank Kalder wrote:

> That cute persiflage sounds to me more "seinfeldy" rather than
> "campy". Do you agree?

no, it's more of marika's nonsense due to air conditioning of the head.

A few weekends ago, I attended a county fair. Here, in DC, in
Arlington. County fairs are usually associated with such things as
livestock, pies and canning. People usually enter contests to judge
their ability to raise, cook or can. It's a staple of a county fair
which is usually very very rural and farm community oriented.

Arlington is anything but a farming community any longer. It's current
fame is as the home of many many government federal workers and
associated enterprises. It's very very sub-urban, rather than farmy.

So I was chuckling to myself that if DC has a county fair, then
Manhattan must now also! They must be back in vogue for urban dwellers

Thus, Manhattan must now have good pies and canned vegetables, whereas
previously it was associated with haute couture and haute cuisine.

> Well, it was very sportive and culturally stimulating with Judith.
> Besides the skiing we did together (as mentioned), we were e.g. ice
> skating in the Central Park and on the Fifth Ave. Rockefeller Plaza,
> going to numerous stage plays (Off-off-Broadway included), nice
> restaurants, her family & friends and occasionally to a synagogue.

I've done many of things when in NY. See the old days, you remember
them! Let's hope they have not gone all pie and funnel cake.

> I got acquainted with the Manhattan live style already before "Sex
> and the City". Did you like those TV series or find them rather
> disgusting or alike?

I didn't find that show disgusting. I did find it boring, however. My
Manhattan experiences were created much before the show as well.

mk5000

"and I don't even care to shake these zipper blues"--1979. smashing
pumpkins

marika

Sep 3, 2005, 10:11:48 AM9/3/05

gogu wrote:>

> slavic also uses the word chas (czas) for time,
>
> I think not.

now on this one, I am sure. In Ukrainian, the word for time is chas.

I know that Russians say chas for hours on the clock, but most western
Ukrainians say hodyna for hours generally and hours on the clock.

1 hodyna
2. hodyna and so on.

but chas is specifically time or passage of time.

but it's a hard Ch sound, looks like the backwards Y

a clock is a hodynyk

in polish though the word is tsigarok (I think it's Polish) probably
spelled with a c though.
which when I heard it I always wondered why they would call a clock the
same as a cigar
what do time and tobacco have in common?

> "Chas" which you can find it also in ... Romanian (:-)) under the form of
> "ceas" (c= pronounced "ts") means hour or even the clock you are wearing in
> your hand.
> In Romanian actually it means:
> - hand clock
> - hour
>
> > and i don't remember the exact meaning of vreme
>
> Vreme is time.
> You can see it in Russian tv when the news are beginning.
> In Romanian it has also the meaning of "weather".
> "Cum e vremea" ?
> = "how is the weather" ?

weather is pohoda in Ukrainian.

> > but i also thought that in some slavic languages it really means more
> > like era,
>
> Exactly !
> It also means that but it's the less frequent meaning/use of this word.
> Romanian:
> "ce vremuri bune"
> = "what nice times" "what noice era".

ha! I can't believe I remembered that

> > than time specifically
> > i also think it is cute how english says hour and germans say uhr. and
> > french say something like horolage for watch.
>
> In the link I provided to my other reply to you, you'll find a link where
> you can see such similarities/transformations :-)
>

> > gogu can you fill in some of my hour and time words from other
> > languages
>
> Sure if I can !
> But bear in mind I am not a linguist :-)

and I am even farther from being one than you

> > I love all the words for couch in English, sofa, davenport, love seat,
> > cleopatra bed,
> > and then all the others ones in the other languages.
> > I also love that word fotel/fauteille (sp?)
> >
> > if you want to fill those in for me too that would be neat
>
> In what language ?
> I can do that in Romanian if you want and in Italian.

any one you like
it's not homework, only if you have words or connected words you think
sound intersting.

> >> If you ever decide to spend some time there, drop me a line and we can
> >> arrange something together ;-)
> >> But only boys, no wives, deal ?;-)
>

> > i don't have a wife so I won't bring one deal.
>
> ???
> I thought you were female, so "husband" would be the appropriate term don't
> you think ?;-)

I was joking. You were speaking to Frank and I invited myself along.
I am definitely a female.

mk5000

"tell me I'm the only one, tell me there is no other one"--bullet with
butterfly wings

marika

Sep 3, 2005, 12:14:33 PM9/3/05

marika wrote:

> > Vreme is time.
> > You can see it in Russian tv when the news are beginning.
> > In Romanian it has also the meaning of "weather".
> > "Cum e vremea" ?
> > = "how is the weather" ?
>
> weather is pohoda in Ukrainian.

i just thought of something that interested me
vremea means era and weather
i think that hod is year in russian
ODyna is hour in ukrainian and poHODa is weather

how interesting that time and weather are connected

mk5000

"And, 'will it be what we'r looking for. The answer to both those
questions is no. Like another crack hit. There's no way to get those
four people on stage again. The divides are too deep. If we're
standing on stage in seven years, it means I owe you a good deal of
money."--Billy Corgan

Frank Kalder

Sep 4, 2005, 5:00:47 AM9/4/05
marika wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:
> >
> > That cute persiflage sounds to me more "seinfeldy" rather than
> > "campy". Do you agree?
>
> no, it's more of marika's nonsense due to air conditioning of the head.

Well, Marika, mostly a cool head (maybe 'air conditioned') stands
for *logic*. I appreciate both - your sophisticated approach to logic
/and so on/ as well as your fun making ability :-)

> A few weekends ago, I attended a county fair. Here, in DC, in
> Arlington. County fairs are usually associated with such things as
> livestock, pies and canning. People usually enter contests to judge
> their ability to raise, cook or can. It's a staple of a county fair
> which is usually very very rural and farm community oriented.
>
> Arlington is anything but a farming community any longer. It's current
> fame is as the home of many many government federal workers and
> associated enterprises. It's very very sub-urban, rather than farmy.

Yeah, I know those types of US festivities.

Some years ago, I enjoyed the 'Fat Stock Show' with glamorous
rodeos /and so on/ at Fort Worth, Texas. Particularly, (what I'd
call) the "Glitter Girls" are doing great and breathtaking horse
riding shows down there.

> So I was chuckling to myself that if DC has a county fair, then
> Manhattan must now also! They must be back in vogue for urban dwellers

I haven't yet heard of such activities in Manhattan, tho.
They do have, I guess, other means for dwellers attraction.

In recent years, in German big cities Beach Volleyball is 'en
vogue'. They bring a lot of sand to a plaza (by trucks) and people
are apparently amazed watching the 'bikini girls' playing - right
in the city centers.

> Thus, Manhattan must now have good pies and canned vegetables, whereas
> previously it was associated with haute couture and haute cuisine.

I was formerly a member of the Advertising Club of New York on Park
Avenue. At that time, we got presentations demonstrating New York as
the upcoming tend setting World's Fashion City (comparable to Paris).

You may have a look for nowadays attractions (in 2005) at this link:

http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=462

> > Well, it was very sportive and culturally stimulating with Judith.
> > Besides the skiing we did together (as mentioned), we were e.g. ice
> > skating in the Central Park and on the Fifth Ave. Rockefeller Plaza,
> > going to numerous stage plays (Off-off-Broadway included), nice
> > restaurants, her family & friends and occasionally to a synagogue.
>
> I've done many of things when in NY. See the old days, you remember
> them! Let's hope they have not gone all pie and funnel cake.

Yeah, we hope so!
At least, they are still alive in my brain (& soul).

> > I got acquainted with the Manhattan life style already before "Sex

> > and the City". Did you like those TV series or find them rather
> > disgusting or alike?
> >

> I didn't find that show disgusting. I did find it boring, however. My
> Manhattan experiences were created much before the show as well.

That's true.
I did fall frequently into a nap while watching it at late evening
(being tired from the daily business). Although, of course, I was
amused seeing a great number of locations that I knew personally and
compare some of those talks and situations with my own experiences
there.

Frank Kalder

Sep 4, 2005, 5:14:31 AM9/4/05
gogu wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:
> > gogu wrote:
> >> Frank Kalder wrote:
>

> Hmmm ... so I suppose you mean anthropologically in the first place.
> No, those are of Slavic ethnic stock, Moldavian are as I said of (most)
> Latin ethnic stock.
> The language is also a Romanic language, it has nothing to do with Slavic
> languages.
> Of course there are borrows from Slav but only words, not the structure of
> the grammar.
> Strange enough, for every Slav borrow there is also a Romanic word !
> Time = Vreme = Timp
> Little street = Ulitsa = Strada/Stradutsa
> And so on...

That's very interesting (as I didn't know it before).

[Russia and its Eastern European influence]

> Let's hope this "fear" will cease to exist among younger generations...

ACK.

> >> Moldova is actually a region of Romania, just like Bavaria in Germany.
> >> Tara Romaneasca, Ardeal (Transilvania) and Moldova are the 3 historical
> >> regions of Romania.
> >> For the first time in 1812 Russian annexes half of Moldova (Basarabia)
> >> after
> >> the Russian-Turkish war of 1806-1812.
>

> > In recent years we had a close contact to a Moldavian business admin.
> > student in Wiesbaden. He never talked about those matters. Some people
> > referred to him as "the Russian". Now, I know better. Thanks!
>
> No problem :-)

> I would expect such behaviour from your contact, these matters are usually

> taboo for those people...
> But bear in mind that there are also Russians in Moldova, so he was probably
> in of those Russians...
> If you give me (even in private) his family name I could tell you if he was
> Russian or Romanian...

We meanwhile lost the contact to Simon - and I don't remember his
last name anymore.

> > Btw, the websites on Romanian Carpathian ski resorts and medieval
> > cities are smashing (see "Various Sights [Europe & USA]").
>
> If you ever decide to spend some time there, drop me a line and we can
> arrange something together ;-)
> But only boys, no wives, deal?;-)

Yeah, thanks, that sounds terrific! :-))

CU, Frank

--
www.haplif.de & www.haplif.de/61820.html

Frank Kalder

Sep 4, 2005, 5:21:59 AM9/4/05
gogu wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:
> gogu wrote:
>

> >But, as far as my perception of some Eastern European words and names
> >goes, there seems to be a tendency to put the focus on the first
> >syllable - such as at the "Countess Maritza" (an Emerich Kalman
> >operette), i.e. "mAritza".
>
> That's what I know.
> In Hungary for instance I've heard many times the name marika been
> pronounced as mArika...
> Maybe it's the central European (=Slavic languages = Hungarian, Czech, etc)
> which are pronouncing as such?...

Maybe that's the way you suggested.
Our 'Marika of Alexandria'(Ukrainian family) pronounces her name
differently - with a pile of EEEEEs as she had explained.

Frank Kalder

Sep 4, 2005, 5:27:34 AM9/4/05
gogu wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:

["Marika" in Greek language]

> It *is* pronounced shorter ;-)
> In Greek we don't have long pronounced letters.

Yes, of course, that's true! :-)

Frank Kalder

Sep 4, 2005, 5:46:10 AM9/4/05
marika wrote:
> gogu wrote:
>

> but isn't it true that both have deeper roots of the so called indo
> european origin that even though they diverged at one point, they were
> cousins some millenia ago
>
> slavic also uses the word chas (czas) for time,
> and i don't remember the exact meaning of vreme
> but i also thought that in some slavic languages it really means more
> like era, than time specifically
> i also think it is cute how english says hour and germans say uhr. and
> french say something like horolage for watch.
>
> wieviel uhr?
> my mother loves that part of Casablanca where the refugees are learning
> English.
>
> which watch liebchen? She says whenever she wants to know the time.
>
> and always remember the movie and I say, ten watch mom!

I like that mom/daughter "special" :-)

[...]

> > But only boys, no wives, deal?;-)

> i don't have a wife so I won't bring one deal.

--> :-)))

> But, I have long since
> stopped skiing. I used to be good as a teen, but I don't think I would
> do well again, though I do plan to after I retire return to it because
> I want to do aerial skiing. Sure like that's gonna happen

WOW_!_

CU, Frank

--
www.haplif.de & www.haplif.de/61820.html

Frank Kalder

Sep 4, 2005, 5:58:31 AM9/4/05
gogu wrote:
> marika wrote:
>

> > But, I have long since stopped skiing.
>
> Oh, I am not good either, Frank will probably laugh on us ;-)

Not at all, Gogu!
Only HAVING FUN counts - even maybe /only/ at APRÈS SKI or DOPO SKI,
though :-)

Many years ago, my derrière told me something.
My brain commanded then to my whole body:

NEVER FALL AGAIN_!_

And it worked - thus far, forever.

Frank Kalder

Sep 4, 2005, 6:07:34 AM9/4/05
marika wrote:

> gogu wrote:
>

> > But bear in mind I am not a linguist :-)
>
> and I am even farther from being one than you

Anyway, your communication with Gogu is very fascinating although I
cannot get it all together in the full range - as I'm generally too
far away form such EASTERN involvement.

> I was joking. You were speaking to Frank and I invited myself along.
> I am definitely a female.

Yes, of course,
I can duly testify that to Gogu's address - not being a linguist
either, tho.

Frank Kalder

Sep 4, 2005, 6:13:26 AM9/4/05
marika wrote:

> marika wrote:
>

> how interesting that time and weather are connected

That makes great sense altogether - it's like that YIN & YANG
thing, or it is "dialectics" (philosophically speaking).

marika

Sep 4, 2005, 9:22:32 AM9/4/05

Frank Kalder wrote:

> Not at all, Gogu!
> Only HAVING FUN counts - even maybe /only/ at APRÈS SKI or DOPO SKI,
> though :-)
>
> Many years ago, my derrière told me something.
> My brain commanded then to my whole body:
>
> NEVER FALL AGAIN_!_
>
> And it worked - thus far, forever.

it's not the falling that bothers me, but the fact that i honestly
can't see anything. when i was a teen I wasn't aware that i couldn't
see. My goggles would fog up and my eyes water so badly my eyes also
freeze together. how ridiculous is that?

but when i was a teen, i didn't care, i just liked the feeling of going
fast, through moguls and going high up in the air even though i didn't
really know how high up i was. mogul skiing was the best.

not seeing is actually a good thing in skiing because you adjust your
body as necessary by the feeling not what your eyes give as input.

the slopes used to be pretty tolerable back then but then they got
really got crowded

but then my brain told my whole body that since i couldn't see, i could
hit somebody without realizing it.

and since that time, i froze up and I can't "let go"

of course i could let go a little during apres, but that takes a
slightly different skill.

mk5000

"it's a mistake to think that people just decide one day 'i'm going to
do this'. as time progresses, you draw the line as to how far you want
to go."--dougie brimson

marika

Sep 4, 2005, 9:40:27 AM9/4/05

Frank Kalder wrote:> >

> I like that mom/daughter "special" :-)

after that, she says the next line in the movie: oh, such watch?
which is a direct translation of
"o, azh taka hodyna", but i can't remember if the actor in the movie
says this (translated directly from the german)

mk5000

"when I'm there, I don't remember the seven or eight bands that people
associate with the mid-70s in there. what i think about is that 10,000
bands that have played there, and the energy in the walls"--Lenny Kaye,
Pattis Smith's guitarist on CBGB in NY

marika

Sep 4, 2005, 9:52:43 AM9/4/05

Frank Kalder wrote:

> Well, Marika, mostly a cool head (maybe 'air conditioned') stands
> for *logic*.

there is a phrase that people use "airhead" for someone who is muddled,
forgetful etc.

It came about during the druggie days of the 70s more or less.

and then was extended to the rest of the population without any
particular reference to drugs.

Thus, you are an airhead if you aren't speaking on point or perhaps
forgetting to fill in details for the recipient of your information.

I am not an airhead. I am an airconditioned head. Because I got older
and I can afford an airconditioner, whereas the teens who were
considered airheads still can't afford the upgrade.

>I appreciate both - your sophisticated approach to logic
> /and so on/ as well as your fun making ability :-)
>
> > A few weekends ago, I attended a county fair. Here, in DC, in
> > Arlington. County fairs are usually associated with such things as
> > livestock, pies and canning. People usually enter contests to judge
> > their ability to raise, cook or can. It's a staple of a county fair
> > which is usually very very rural and farm community oriented.
> >
> > Arlington is anything but a farming community any longer. It's current
> > fame is as the home of many many government federal workers and
> > associated enterprises. It's very very sub-urban, rather than farmy.
> >

> Yeah, I know those types of US festivities.
>
> Some years ago, I enjoyed the 'Fat Stock Show' with glamorous
> rodeos /and so on/ at Fort Worth, Texas. Particularly, (what I'd
> call) the "Glitter Girls" are doing great and breathtaking horse
> riding shows down there.

sounds very interesting and fun

> > So I was chuckling to myself that if DC has a county fair, then
> > Manhattan must now also! They must be back in vogue for urban dwellers
> >

> I haven't yet heard of such activities in Manhattan, tho.
> They do have, I guess, other means for dwellers attraction.

there are other small town manhattans in the US. I think there is one
in Kansas. I bet they have country fairs in THOSE manhattans.

> In recent years, in German big cities Beach Volleyball is 'en
> vogue'. They bring a lot of sand to a plaza (by trucks) and people
> are apparently amazed watching the 'bikini girls' playing - right
> in the city centers.
>
> > Thus, Manhattan must now have good pies and canned vegetables, whereas
> > previously it was associated with haute couture and haute cuisine.
> >

> I was formerly a member of the Advertising Club of New York on Park
> Avenue. At that time, we got presentations demonstrating New York as
> the upcoming tend setting World's Fashion City (comparable to Paris).

Please explain what the Advertising Club is?

I have heard that one of the hotter spots now for fashion in the US is
the Miami area.

> You may have a look for nowadays attractions (in 2005) at this link:
>
> http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=462
>

> > > Well, it was very sportive and culturally stimulating with Judith.
> > > Besides the skiing we did together (as mentioned), we were e.g. ice
> > > skating in the Central Park and on the Fifth Ave. Rockefeller Plaza,
> > > going to numerous stage plays (Off-off-Broadway included), nice
> > > restaurants, her family & friends and occasionally to a synagogue.
> >
> > I've done many of things when in NY. See the old days, you remember
> > them! Let's hope they have not gone all pie and funnel cake.
> >

> Yeah, we hope so!
> At least, they are still alive in my brain (& soul).
>

> > > I got acquainted with the Manhattan life style already before "Sex
> > > and the City". Did you like those TV series or find them rather
> > > disgusting or alike?
> > >

> > I didn't find that show disgusting. I did find it boring, however. My
> > Manhattan experiences were created much before the show as well.
> >

> That's true.
> I did fall frequently into a nap while watching it at late evening
> (being tired from the daily business). Although, of course, I was
> amused seeing a great number of locations that I knew personally and
> compare some of those talks and situations with my own experiences
> there.

I have family in that area - specifically, a sister in law who doesn't
watch these types of shows. When I visited a little while ago, she
once pointed out a spot where they film the show and said, "I think it
is a documentary?" O how we laughed.

When you think about it, it sort of is, isn't it?

mk5000

"It was so sexual, so outrageous, it was so un-allowed! To me, that's
what rock and roll should always come down to--the un-allowed." --lee
black childers, scenester photographer on his sighting of Iggy Pop

Frank Kalder

Sep 5, 2005, 4:12:51 AM9/5/05
marika wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:

[Skiing experience]

> it's not the falling that bothers me, but the fact that i honestly
> can't see anything. when i was a teen I wasn't aware that i couldn't
> see. My goggles would fog up and my eyes water so badly my eyes also
> freeze together. how ridiculous is that?

That's rather unfortunate and certainly a seldom handicap.

> but when i was a teen, i didn't care, i just liked the feeling of going
> fast, through moguls and going high up in the air even though i didn't
> really know how high up i was. mogul skiing was the best.
>
> not seeing is actually a good thing in skiing because you adjust your
> body as necessary by the feeling not what your eyes give as input.
>
> the slopes used to be pretty tolerable back then but then they got
> really got crowded
>
> but then my brain told my whole body that since i couldn't see, i could
> hit somebody without realizing it.
>
> and since that time, i froze up and I can't "let go"
>

> of course i could let go a little during après, but that takes a
> slightly different skill.

That's, fortunately, for sure :-)

Altogether, you were pretty much daring at teenage skiing despite of
that eyes handicap.

Frank Kalder

Sep 5, 2005, 4:51:05 AM9/5/05
marika wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:
>

> > Well, Marika, mostly a cool head (maybe 'air conditioned') stands
> > for *logic*.
>
> there is a phrase that people use "airhead" for someone who is muddled,
> forgetful etc.

Yes, I've been aware of that one.

> It came about during the druggie days of the 70s more or less.
>
> and then was extended to the rest of the population without any
> particular reference to drugs.
>
> Thus, you are an airhead if you aren't speaking on point or perhaps
> forgetting to fill in details for the recipient of your information.

ACK.

> I am not an airhead. I am an airconditioned head. Because I got older
> and I can afford an airconditioner, whereas the teens who were
> considered airheads still can't afford the upgrade.

--> :-)

> > Some years ago, I enjoyed the 'Fat Stock Show' with glamorous
> > rodeos /and so on/ at Fort Worth, Texas. Particularly, (what I'd
> > call) the "Glitter Girls" are doing great and breathtaking horse
> > riding shows down there.
> >

> sounds very interesting and fun

Ooohhhh yeeeaaahhh_!_

> there are other small town manhattans in the US. I think there is one
> in Kansas. I bet they have country fairs in THOSE manhattans.

That might be the case, although I had never heard before of those
Manhattans. I did, in our context, only refer to the NYC one.

> > > Thus, Manhattan must now have good pies and canned vegetables, whereas
> > > previously it was associated with haute couture and haute cuisine.
> > >

> > I was formerly a member of the Advertising Club of New York on Park
> > Avenue. At that time, we got presentations demonstrating New York as
> > the upcoming tend setting World's Fashion City (comparable to Paris).
> >

> Please explain what the Advertising Club is?

The ADVERTISING CLUB of NY provides countless ways for its members to
become more active in the industry, and - as a by-product of their
involvements and careers - "personal friendships can flourish".

History:

http://www.theadvertisingclub.org/about_history.html

As a former marketing manager (international chemicals business) I was
eligible for membership and used that club mainly for business
luncheons and dinners. Occasionally, I attended some lectures or
presentations of special marketing related subjects.

> I have heard that one of the hotter spots now for fashion in the US is
> the Miami area.

Yes, I guess that's true - meanwhile.

http://www.cooljunkie.com/fashion/miami.html

Do you know some other relevant hot spot websites?

[...]

[Sex and the City]

[Laughter on your sister-in-law's perception]

I'm able to distinguish between real places and studio takes, tho.

Frank Kalder

Sep 5, 2005, 4:59:20 AM9/5/05
> Frank Kalder wrote:
> >

> > I like that mom/daughter "special" :-)
>
> after that, she says the next line in the movie: oh, such watch?
> which is a direct translation of
> "o, azh taka hodyna", but i can't remember if the actor in the movie
> says this (translated directly from the german)

Those kinds of "rituals" are indeed lovely :-)

CU, Frank

--
www.haplif.de

www.haplif.de/61820.html

marika

Sep 5, 2005, 4:26:01 PM9/5/05

Frank Kalder wrote:

> Do you know some other relevant hot spot websites?
>
> [...]

i don't remember where i saw this, whether on the web, tv or print, but
I do remember seeing a report somewhere featuring the homes of famous
folk in Miami. One beach in particular that is more popular than the
rest.

i heard these shoes are the hottest thing there right now

http://toronto.craigslist.org/clo/92165627.html

and Darren Star, producer of sex and the city is coming out with a new
show this year called Kitchen Confidential.

mk5000

"our appetites seldom end with food. you can't cook if you can't enjoy
others aspects of...well, we're in the pleasure business. I think it's
our job to understand our subject as best as possible"--chef Anthony
Bourdain, whose novel Kitchen Confidential is the basis of the new show

gogu

Sep 5, 2005, 5:25:19 PM9/5/05
? "marika" <marik...@gmail.com> ?????? ??? ??????

> gogu wrote:>

>> > I love all the words for couch in English, sofa, davenport, love seat,
>> > cleopatra bed,
>> > and then all the others ones in the other languages.
>> > I also love that word fotel/fauteille (sp?)
>> >
>> > if you want to fill those in for me too that would be neat

>> In what language ?
>> I can do that in Romanian if you want and in Italian.

> any one you like
> it's not homework, only if you have words or connected words you think
> sound intersting.

sofa = canapea (Ro) =
fotel/fauteille = fotoliu (Ro) =

I don't know what "love seat" or "Cleopatra bed" are :-)
Sorry !

> I was joking. You were speaking to Frank and I invited myself along.
> I am definitely a female.

No problem, if a woman has the right spirit I believe she can easily fit the
gang ;-)

gogu

Sep 5, 2005, 5:28:23 PM9/5/05
? "marika" <marik...@gmail.com> ?????? ??? ??????

> marika wrote:
>

>> > Vreme is time.
>> > You can see it in Russian tv when the news are beginning.
>> > In Romanian it has also the meaning of "weather".
>> > "Cum e vremea" ?
>> > = "how is the weather" ?

>> weather is pohoda in Ukrainian.

> i just thought of something that interested me
> vremea means era and weather
> i think that hod is year in russian
> ODyna is hour in ukrainian and poHODa is weather
>
> how interesting that time and weather are connected

Indeed :-)))

gogu

Sep 5, 2005, 5:30:30 PM9/5/05
? "Frank Kalder" <edi...@haplif.de> ?????? ??? ??????
gogu wrote:

>> Oh, I am not good either, Frank will probably laugh on us ;-)

>Not at all, Gogu!
>Only HAVING FUN counts - even maybe /only/ at APRÈS SKI or DOPO SKI,
>though :-)

Right !

>Many years ago, my derrière told me something.
>My brain commanded then to my whole body:

>NEVER FALL AGAIN_!_

>And it worked - thus far, forever.

Lucky you !
I am *still* falling ;-)

gogu

Sep 5, 2005, 5:33:23 PM9/5/05
? "Frank Kalder" <edi...@haplif.de> ?????? ??? ??????

> gogu wrote:
>> Frank Kalder wrote:
>>

>> Hmmm ... so I suppose you mean anthropologically in the first place.
>> No, those are of Slavic ethnic stock, Moldavian are as I said of (most)
>> Latin ethnic stock.
>> The language is also a Romanic language, it has nothing to do with Slavic
>> languages.
>> Of course there are borrows from Slav but only words, not the structure
>> of
>> the grammar.
>> Strange enough, for every Slav borrow there is also a Romanic word !
>> Time = Vreme = Timp
>> Little street = Ulitsa = Strada/Stradutsa
>> And so on...

> That's very interesting (as I didn't know it before).

Some scholars are calculating that about 30% of the words in Romanian have a
Latin and a Slavic origin counterpart...

Slavic Latin

clock = ceas = orologiu
tree = copac = arbor
spirit = duh = spirit
etc.

>> No problem :-)
>> I would expect such behaviour from your contact, these matters are
>> usually
>> taboo for those people...
>> But bear in mind that there are also Russians in Moldova, so he was
>> probably
>> in of those Russians...
>> If you give me (even in private) his family name I could tell you if he
>> was
>> Russian or Romanian...

> We meanwhile lost the contact to Simon - and I don't remember his
> last name anymore.

Hmmm ... from his name I would guess he was of Jewish origin.
There was a substantial Jewish community in Moldova until WW2, maybe as a
result of a forced translocation after the Tsarist Russian pogroms...
Unfortunately during the WW2 there was also a pogrom in Moldova and many
Jews perished...

>> If you ever decide to spend some time there, drop me a line and we can
>> arrange something together ;-)
>> But only boys, no wives, deal?;-)

> Yeah, thanks, that sounds terrific! :-))

Deal ;-)

marika

Sep 5, 2005, 8:31:51 PM9/5/05

gogu wrote:> Some scholars are calculating that about 30% of the words

in Romanian have a
> Latin and a Slavic origin counterpart...
>
> Slavic Latin
>
> clock = ceas = orologiu
> tree = copac = arbor
> spirit = duh = spirit
> etc.

in ukrainian, tree is derevo
clock I already said
and spirit is similar, but its more like dukh

I don't recognize copac.

dukh is a word I always loved because it means spirit as in ghost but
also as in "spirit of a nation"

I like it because the word vozDUKH means air that we breathe so I like
that connection

mk5000

"we had a terrific season 1 cast, but season 2...you worry they'll
think 'here' smy 15 minutes of fame"--dave broome

marika

Sep 5, 2005, 8:38:03 PM9/5/05

gogu wrote:

> sofa = canapea (Ro) =

how strange that I forgot that one, because my parents use kanapa for
sofa all the time.

and amusingly, my siser asked me what could possibly be the derivation
of that word. She said, but isn't that the word for sandwich "canape",
do you think that the word for sofa comes from the word for sandwich.

so I looked it up

it comes from the word for mosquito - canopus. because back way back
way, people used to drape these types of sofas/beds with mosquito
netting.

that sounds crazy, but I guess they used to say: I am going to lie
down on the canopus nettingus beddus to get some sleep without the damn
canopuses biting me. And then over time they got sick of saying
canopus nettingus beddus, and shortened it to kanapa

mk5000

"a tinderbox of social issues"--neal baer about the new season of Law
and Order SVU

Frank Kalder

Sep 6, 2005, 4:20:29 AM9/6/05
marika wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:
> >
> > Do you know some other relevant hot spot websites?
> >
> > [...]
> >

> i don't remember where i saw this, whether on the web, tv or print, but
> I do remember seeing a report somewhere featuring the homes of famous
> folk in Miami. One beach in particular that is more popular than the
> rest.
>
> i heard these shoes are the hottest thing there right now
>
> http://toronto.craigslist.org/clo/92165627.html

> and Darren Star, producer of sex and the city is coming out with a new
> show this year called Kitchen Confidential.

Thanks for the shoes' link and the KC announcement.
I like those types of production formats (at least for awhile).

What about "Desperate Housewives"? U liked it or rather not?
It started several months ago in Germany. I've seen a few parts.
I have in mind that e.g. Melrose Place was somewhat cuter. I /sort of/
hate this one woman that plaid in both series - formerly the med. doc
and now the one that should be getting a psychiatric analysis together
with her husband...

[Sig.]

> "our appetites seldom end with food. you can't cook if you can't enjoy
> others aspects of...well, we're in the pleasure business. I think it's
> our job to understand our subject as best as possible"--chef Anthony
> Bourdain, whose novel Kitchen Confidential is the basis of the new show

Hm...!

Frank Kalder

Sep 6, 2005, 4:37:37 AM9/6/05
gogu wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:
>

> Some scholars are calculating that about 30% of the words in Romanian have a
> Latin and a Slavic origin counterpart...
>
> Slavic Latin
>
> clock = ceas = orologiu
> tree = copac = arbor
> spirit = duh = spirit
> etc.

ACK.

[Simon, the Moldavian]

> Hmmm ... from his name I would guess he was of Jewish origin.

Maybe, but, as I wrote, he never told us more than that he comes from
Moldavia.

> There was a substantial Jewish community in Moldova ...

Thanks, Gogu, for the historic sight of it.

[Flirt pleasures in the Romanian Carpathians]

> >> But only boys, no wives, deal?;-)
>
> > Yeah, thanks, that sounds terrific! :-))
>
> Deal ;-)

Confirmed ;-)

Message has been deleted

Frank Kalder

Sep 6, 2005, 5:12:25 AM9/6/05
marika wrote:

> in ukrainian, tree is derevo
> clock I already said
> and spirit is similar, but its more like dukh
>
> I don't recognize copac.
>
> dukh is a word I always loved because it means spirit as in ghost but
> also as in "spirit of a nation"
>
> I like it because the word vozDUKH means air that we breathe so I like
> that connection

As for a supplement, I've found this (somewhere) about German and
Indian:

<cit> Interessant ist die Verwandtschaft von "atma", "Seele", mit dem
deutschen "Atem"... </cit>

(German) der Atem = the breath; atmen = to breath

(Indian) atma = soul (i.e. /nowadays/ psyche)

marika

Sep 6, 2005, 7:15:52 PM9/6/05

Frank Kalder wrote:

> What about "Desperate Housewives"? U liked it or rather not?

eh, it was ok. not worth taking time out. This year, they will
introduce a new character to be played by Alfre Woodard. She will be a
single mother piano teacher with a deep secret.

though I suspect her talents will be squandered, she is an amazing
actress. this is why i want to meet her.

> It started several months ago in Germany. I've seen a few parts.
> I have in mind that e.g. Melrose Place was somewhat cuter. I /sort of/
> hate this one woman that plaid in both series - formerly the med. doc
> and now the one that should be getting a psychiatric analysis together
> with her husband...

i think I know who you mean, the one who her husband said she was too
perfect or something like that
Alison maybe.

mk5000

"within four days of that show not going, I got the Ghost Whisperer
script. My agents saw me start to cry and they said, 'Oh my God, we
have to find something great', and this happened to be there. It was
meant to be"--Jennifer Love Hewitt

gogu

Sep 6, 2005, 8:32:53 PM9/6/05
? "marika" <marik...@my-deja.com> ?????? ??? ??????

> gogu wrote:
>>
>> sofa = canapea (Ro) =

> how strange that I forgot that one, because my parents use kanapa for
> sofa all the time.
>
> and amusingly, my siser asked me what could possibly be the derivation
> of that word. She said, but isn't that the word for sandwich "canape",
> do you think that the word for sofa comes from the word for sandwich.
>
> so I looked it up
>
> it comes from the word for mosquito - canopus. because back way back
> way, people used to drape these types of sofas/beds with mosquito
> netting.

Well, I am not sure if this is a plausible explanation...
What I know is that the Greek word is "kanapes" and that makes me believe it
is a borrow from the Turkish language.
Some Turkish words penetrated the vocabulary of quite all the Balcanic
language (Greek, Bulgarian, Romanian, Serbian), "kanapes" is one of them.
"Perdes" in Greek or "perdea" in Romanian is one other such word, meaning
curtain/drapery.
And so on...

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

> that sounds crazy, but I guess they used to say: I am going to lie

gogu

Sep 6, 2005, 8:33:55 PM9/6/05
? "marika" <marik...@my-deja.com> ?????? ??? ??????

> gogu wrote:> Some scholars are calculating that about 30% of the words
> in Romanian have a
>> Latin and a Slavic origin counterpart...
>>
>> Slavic Latin
>>
>> clock = ceas = orologiu
>> tree = copac = arbor
>> spirit = duh = spirit
>> etc.

> in ukrainian, tree is derevo
> clock I already said
> and spirit is similar, but its more like dukh

Sure, in Romanian you say "Sfint Duh" for "Holly Ghost".

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

> I don't recognize copac.

gogu

Sep 6, 2005, 8:49:21 PM9/6/05
? "Frank Kalder" <edi...@haplif.de> ?????? ??? ??????

> As for a supplement, I've found this (somewhere) about German and
> Indian:
>
> <cit> Interessant ist die Verwandtschaft von "atma", "Seele", mit dem
> deutschen "Atem"... </cit>
>

> In German:
> Der Atem = the breath; atmen = to breath

> In Indian:
> Atma = soul (i.e. /nowadays/ psyche)

And even more interesting:
Alma (E) = Anima (I) = Inima (RO).

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

gogu

Sep 6, 2005, 8:49:34 PM9/6/05
? "Frank Kalder" <edi...@haplif.de> ?????? ??? ??????
> gogu wrote:

> [Simon, the Moldavian]
>
>> Hmmm ... from his name I would guess he was of Jewish origin.

> Maybe, but, as I wrote, he never told us more than that he comes from
> Moldavia.

Obviously !
You must always keep in mind that those people grew up with the KGB and with
the fear that someone close to them will report some "unhealthy" behavior to
the authorities, so they've evolved a fear to say anything about
themselves...

>> > Yeah, thanks, that sounds terrific! :-))

>> Deal ;-)

> Confirmed ;-)

OK ;-)

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

Frank Kalder

Sep 7, 2005, 4:12:13 AM9/7/05
marika wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:

[Desperate Housewives]"

> eh, it was ok. not worth taking time out. This year, they will
> introduce a new character to be played by Alfre Woodard. She will be a
> single mother piano teacher with a deep secret.
>
> though I suspect her talents will be squandered, she is an amazing
> actress. this is why i want to meet her.

I'll have an eye on her in the forthcoming parts.
Where or at what occasion would it be possible for you to evtually meet
her?

After summer pause, it started yesterday anew (the 2nd part or so) in
German TV. As I was out of town I had burned it on DVD. Coming back, I
started seeing it - but, having been obviously too tired, I fell asleep
immediately at the very beginning.

[The perfectionist]

> i think I know who you mean, the one who her husband said she was too
> perfect or something like that Alison maybe.

It is (I've looked it up mow) *Marcia Cross* as 'Bree Van de
Kamp'.

Eva Longoria, tho, is an optical highlight. She's got a bit famous
over here (meanwhile she is seen i.e. in German TV advertisements,
too).

Frank Kalder

Sep 7, 2005, 4:35:34 AM9/7/05
gogu wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:
>

> > (German) Der Atem = the breath; atmen = to breath
>

> > (Indian) atma = soul (i.e. /nowadays/ psyche)

> And even more interesting:
>
> Alma (E) = Anima (I) = Inima (RO).

ACK :-)

Btw, in Budapest, I learned from the indigenous tour guide, a retired
Hungarian diplomat, that Hungarian pubs (or small cheep restaurants)
are called *czardas*.

Thus, the Csárdásfürstin, operette by Emmerich Kálmán, does not
refer to a high ranking aristocratic lady (Fürstin = princess) but
only to (what we might call) a Pub Queen, Ouseria Queen or alike.

Frank Kalder

Sep 7, 2005, 4:52:40 AM9/7/05
gogu wrote:
> Frank Kalder wrote:
>

> You must always keep in mind that those people grew up with the KGB and with
> the fear that someone close to them will report some "unhealthy" behavior to
> the authorities, so they've evolved a fear to say anything about
> themselves...

Yes, that's been obviously & truly the case.
I remember now that while met him in 1995 (as a student of bus.adm.) he
had mentioned that his father went to the USA, so that he grew up only
with his mother.

Our original thread "Greek author describes ..." and later on
"Various Sights [Europe & USA]" has meanwhile another separate
branch "International Stuff" (without scg - which prevents us
from those sad T.rk disturbances). I invite you to discuss there with
us (Marika, Lester & Co.), too. Here is the first and the latest of
those relevant postings for your ready reference:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/soc.culture.europe/msg/fe0476ad235f3604

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/soc.culture.europe/msg/649fb52109ce3b8f

marika

Sep 7, 2005, 6:30:48 PM9/7/05

Frank Kalder wrote:

> Btw, in Budapest, I learned from the indigenous tour guide, a retired
> Hungarian diplomat, that Hungarian pubs (or small cheep restaurants)
> are called *czardas*.

that is also a word for a dance or type of music, isn't it?

> Thus, the Csárdásfürstin, operette by Emmerich Kálmán, does not
> refer to a high ranking aristocratic lady (Fürstin = princess) but
> only to (what we might call) a Pub Queen, Ouseria Queen or alike.

I had never heard the word furstin for princess. where does it come
from? The number first or because she is "in the drivers seat" of the
biggest sedan car?

and what does ouseria mean and in what language?

mk5000

"the things that you don't say"--don cheadle in Crash

It is loading more messages.