Speaking at Least Two Languages Impedes Brain Degeneration

Carlos de Gante

Jan 17, 2007, 4:15:28 AM1/17/07
Canadian scientists prove that the lifelong use of two languages delay
degeneration of brain function, in other words dementia, by four years
compared to monolingual people.

Scientific researches have been examining for a long time how lifestyle
items such as physical activity, education and social engagement may
build the "cognitive reserve" and a long-lasting healthy brain in later
years of life.

The cognitive reserve means enhanced neural plasticity, compensatory
use of alternative brain regions, and enriched brain vasculature, which
fight against the onset of dementia symptoms (brain degeneration).

Now, the team at the Rotman Research Institute at the Baycrest Research
Centre for Aging and the Brain, adds bilingualism to these factors.
"We are pretty dazzled by the results," says principal investigator Dr.
Ellen Bialystok, Professor of Psychology at York University and
Associate Scientist at the Rotman Research Institute at Baycrest.
"Our study found that speaking two languages throughout one's life
appears to be associated with a delay in the onset of symptoms of
dementia by four years compared to those who speak one language."

The same team had shown that bilingualism enhances attention and
cognitive control in both children and older adults. Now, they examined
the diagnostic records of 184 patients of Baycrest's Sam and Ida Ross
Memory Clinic between 2002 and 2005, which presented cognitive
complaints.

The study group compassed 91 monolingual persons and 93 bilingual ones,
the other language spoken besides English being Polish, Yiddish,
German, Romanian and Hungarian. 132 patients met criteria for probable
Alzheimer's (the most common form of dementia, which is highly
genetic); the other 52 presented other dementias.

The researchers used data of Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE)
scores (a measure of general cognitive functioning), years of education
and occupation. The MMSE scores were the same for the monolingual and
bilingual groups at their initial visit to the clinic, pointing
comparable levels of impairment.

The team discovered that the mean age of onset of dementia symptoms in
the monolingual group was 71.4 years, while the bilingual group was
75.5 years, and this difference persisted even after putting on
equation the bias determined by cultural differences, immigration,
formal education, employment and gender.

"There are no pharmacological interventions that are this dramatic,"
says Dr. Freedman, who is Head of the Division of Neurology, and
Director of the Memory Clinic at Baycrest.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Speaking-At-Least-Two-Languages-Impedes-Brain-Degeneration-44312.shtml

"El hombre es tantas veces hombre cuanto es el número de lenguas que
ha aprendido"
- Carlos I de España

Xavier Llobet

Jan 17, 2007, 5:02:53 AM1/17/07
In article <1169025328.0...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,

"Carlos de Gante" <lapar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Canadian scientists prove that the lifelong use of two languages delay
> degeneration of brain function, in other words dementia, by four years
> compared to monolingual people.

Hombre, gracias por alegrarme el día.

_x.

--
Only one "o" in my e-mail address

mike.j...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2007, 5:17:45 AM1/17/07

Carlos de Gante wrote:
> Canadian scientists prove that the lifelong use of two languages delay
> degeneration of brain function, in other words dementia, by four years
> compared to monolingual people.

"Proved"? Suggested maybe. Four years? Exactly four?

Mais mois je suis prêt à me déplacer chez les dingues à 54 ans !

Earle Horton

Jan 17, 2007, 11:19:52 AM1/17/07
Hombre, when analyzing the results of studies like this, it is important not
to over-generalize. The bilingual subjects in the study spoke English,
presumably as a second language, along with five central and eastern
European languages. There may be a common thread shared among the speakers
of these languages, not accounted for in the study. There are no western
Romance languages included, neither native American, African, Farsi, etc.
The study only deals with patients who "presented cognitive complaints"
also. It doesn't investigate those without cognitive complaints, who may be
the majority of the population.

The study and its conclusions fail to account for a number of factors likely
overlooked. One cannot really eliminate the effects of "cultural
differences, immigration, formal education, employment and gender" using
computer software. We call this a "pilot study" because it shows
introductory results only. Being able to see the possible flaws in studies
of this type without jumping to conclusions is part of "critical thinking",
something that may also slow the onset of dementia.

Among Usenet informants, I would like to see the results compared between
those who make original contributions and copy/paste artists. ;^)

Saúde,

Earle
----
"Carlos de Gante" <lapar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Begoluna

Jan 17, 2007, 11:12:23 AM1/17/07
"Earle Horton" <ea...@vascongado.usa> wrote in

> Among Usenet informants, I would like to see the results compared
> between those who make original contributions and copy/paste artists.

For ejemplo: El Early speaks (mal) dos lenguas. ¿Tiene brain degeneration??

La excepción confirma the rule...

=.=.=.=.
Begomoon
=.=.=.==

Moodesigns - Mary Barnett

Jan 17, 2007, 12:01:05 PM1/17/07
Earle's use of language is not the point here, is it? As for Bego's
spanglish, is that any less excusable?

"Begoluna" <beg...@no.spam> wrote in message

Earle Horton

Jan 17, 2007, 2:17:49 PM1/17/07
Bego habla bien el espanglish. Y yo hablo tres lenguas, inglés y español
bien y alemán suficientemente. No busquemos excusas sino la verdad, ¿vale?
El estudio es interesante pero no conclusivo.

Bego speaks Spanglish well. I speak three languages, English and Spanish
well, and German well enough. Let's not look for excuses but the truth, OK?
This study is interesting but harldy conclusive.

Earle

"Moodesigns - Mary Barnett" <act...@NOSPAMmoodesigns.com> wrote in message

Moodesigns - Mary Barnett

Jan 17, 2007, 4:18:28 PM1/17/07
Sí, por supuesto tienes razón....

He leido de otros estudios, en cuales los resultados indicaron que la gente
que continua en su aprendizaje (¡de cualquier cosa!) sea menos probable en
desarrollar condiciones como Alzheimer's .

Quizás lo importante es que se haga ejercicios mentales por toda la vida. Y
otras investigaciones recientes sugirieron que hay factores genéticos en el
desarrollo de enfermedades cognitivas.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10955-genetic-search-closes-in-on-alzheimers-mutation-.html

Mary

"Earle Horton" <ea...@vascongado.usa> wrote in message

RafaMinu

Jan 17, 2007, 6:06:45 PM1/17/07

Earle Horton wrote:
> Bego habla bien el espanglish. Y yo hablo tres lenguas, inglés y español
> bien y alemán suficientemente. No busquemos excusas sino la verdad, ¿vale?
> El estudio es interesante pero no conclusivo.

Lamento informarte de que tu español dista mucho de ser bueno.
Ni siquiera aceptable.

Si supieras hablar bien español, no necesitarías aprender portugués,
porque lo entenderías sin ningún problema.

CORRECTIONS:
hablo tres idiomas
alemán suficientemente bien
No busquemos tres pies al gato
El estudio es interesante, pero no es concluyente.

RafaMinu

Jan 17, 2007, 6:35:32 PM1/17/07

Xavier Llobet wrote:
> In article <1169025328.0...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
> "Carlos de Gante" <lapar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Canadian scientists prove that the lifelong use of two languages delay
> > degeneration of brain function, in other words dementia, by four years
> > compared to monolingual people.
>
> Hombre, gracias por alegrarme el día.

De nada.

No quiero estropeártelo ahora, pero no estoy del todo seguro de que a
los hablantes de castellano-catalán se les pueda considerar bilingües
a efectos de tal estudio, ya que se utilizaron hablantes de lenguajes
tan distintos entre sí como el Inglés, Polaco, Yídish, Alemán,
Rumano o Húngaro.

RafaMinu

Jan 17, 2007, 6:36:10 PM1/17/07

Xavier Llobet wrote:
> In article <1169025328.0...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
> "Carlos de Gante" <lapar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Canadian scientists prove that the lifelong use of two languages delay
> > degeneration of brain function, in other words dementia, by four years
> > compared to monolingual people.
>
> Hombre, gracias por alegrarme el día.

De nada.

Earle Horton

Jan 17, 2007, 7:06:07 PM1/17/07
"RafaMinu" <rafa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

----
Se escribe "correcciones" en romance. ¿Hablas en romance? No hablo el
alemán suficientemente bien sino lo suficiente. Si quieres duplicar los
resultados del estudio exactamente, te recomiendo empezar algún curso de
alemán o ruso etcétera también. Me pregunto por qué el estudio no incluye
resultados sobre pacientes de herencia hispánica. Habrá suficientes en
Canadá. ¿Aceptan problemas con los viejos como lo natural, o no tienen
tales problemas?

Una conferencia que ví en la tele arguye que los hispanos en mi país viven
más años pero sufren más enfermedades como viejos. Se atribuye la largueza
de la vida a la comida mexicana y sana, pero se atribuyen las enfermedades
gerontológicas a una muchedumbre de factores incluyendo la dieta europea.
Veo la contradicción obvia. Creo que adivinan sobre las causas reales.

Saúde,

Earle

Carlos de Gante

Jan 17, 2007, 7:44:03 PM1/17/07

Earle Horton wrote:
> "RafaMinu" <rafa...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Earle Horton wrote:
> > Bego habla bien el espanglish. Y yo hablo tres lenguas, inglés y español
> > bien y alemán suficientemente. No busquemos excusas sino la verdad,
> > ¿vale?
> > El estudio es interesante pero no conclusivo.
>
> Lamento informarte de que tu español dista mucho de ser bueno.
> Ni siquiera aceptable.
>
> Si supieras hablar bien español, no necesitarías aprender portugués,
> porque lo entenderías sin ningún problema.
>
> CORRECTIONS:
> hablo tres idiomas
> alemán suficientemente bien
> No busquemos tres pies al gato
> El estudio es interesante, pero no es concluyente.
> ----
> Se escribe "correcciones" en romance. ¿Hablas en romance?
No sé.
¿Lo hablo?

> No hablo el
> alemán suficientemente bien sino lo suficiente.

Lo suficiente ¿para qué?
Dejemos que sean los alemanes los que dictaminen eso.

> Si quieres duplicar los
> resultados del estudio exactamente, te recomiendo empezar algún curso de
> alemán o ruso etcétera también. Me pregunto por qué el estudio no incluye
> resultados sobre pacientes de herencia hispánica. Habrá suficientes en
> Canadá. ¿Aceptan problemas con los viejos como lo natural, o no tienen
> tales problemas?

Porque se parece demasiado al Inglés, quizas ...

> Una conferencia que ví en la tele arguye que los hispanos en mi país viven
> más años pero sufren más enfermedades como viejos.

Si viven más años es lógico que sufran más enfermedades como viejos

> Se atribuye la largueza
> de la vida a la comida mexicana y sana, pero se atribuyen las enfermedades
> gerontológicas a una muchedumbre de factores incluyendo la dieta europea.
> Veo la contradicción obvia. Creo que adivinan sobre las causas reales.

La longevidad va sin duda unida a la alimentación.
Cualquiera que viva en USA está expuesto a una mala alimentación.
En México, donde se come bien, se come muy bien.

Hace unos años hicieron un estudio comparando los irlandeses de
NewYork con los de Dublin.
A pesar de que los de Dublin consumían mucha más grasa, colesterol,
carne roja, mantequilla, etc., la incidencia de enfermedades
cardio-vasculares era de menos de un 30% de las que sufrían sus
paisanos emigrados.

Earle Horton

Jan 17, 2007, 10:10:28 PM1/17/07

> Earle Horton wrote:

> > Se atribuye la largueza
> > de la vida a la comida mexicana y sana, pero se atribuyen
> > las enfermedades gerontológicas a una muchedumbre de factores
> > incluyendo la dieta europea.
> > Veo la contradicción obvia. Creo que adivinan sobre las causas
> > reales.
>
> La longevidad va sin duda unida a la alimentación.
> Cualquiera que viva en USA está expuesto a una mala alimentación.
> En México, donde se come bien, se come muy bien.

Hay la idea corriente pero equivocada que todos nosotros comemos la misma
basura que exportamos al resto del mundo. Hace seis años que estuve en un
Burger King, estaba en el viaje, y pedí papas fritas y Coca-Cola. Me dí
cuenta de que la "mala alimentación" de la que hablas es bastante de moda en
España. Hay Coca-Cola en todas partes, por 400 Burger Kings y un problema
creciente de la obesidad entre los niños.

Hemos exportado el tobaco también. Recuerdo explicar a una profesora en
Vitoria que es la venganza de los indios. ¿Cómo seguís con las leyes de
prohibición de fumar en lugares públicos?

> Hace unos años hicieron un estudio comparando los irlandeses de
> NewYork con los de Dublin.
> A pesar de que los de Dublin consumían mucha más grasa, colesterol,
> carne roja, mantequilla, etc., la incidencia de enfermedades
> cardio-vasculares era de menos de un 30% de las que sufrían sus
> paisanos emigrados.

Hace años la largueza media de la vida en Finlandia era por 60 años. Se
atribuía a la popularidad de productos lácteos, carne roja etcétera y a la
escasez de verduras durante el invierno largo. Lo que ocurre en los EEUU no
es único. El estrés contribuirá a la incidencia de enfermedades
cardio-vasculares. Yo no conozco ningún lugar con más estrés que Nueva York
salvo que sea México D.F. Se sometió mi vecino a la cirugía cardiaco dos
veces y aún rehusa a cambiar la dieta. Dice, "Si no puedo comer mi comida
favorita, no quiero vivir." Cuando le duele el pecho, cambiará el tono y
pronto. Si hubiese pagado el cirujano y el hospital en vez de Medicare, ya
hubiera cambiado su estilo de vida.

Saúde,

Earle

Gurriato

Jan 17, 2007, 10:27:22 PM1/17/07

"Earle Horton" <ea...@vascongado.usa> wrote in message

> Y yo hablo tres lenguas, inglés y español
> bien

Bueno, eso de que hablas bien el español es muy debatible. Digamos más bien
que lo chapurreas a duras penas.

> y alemán suficientemente.

Du hast einen Furz im Hirn!

>No busquemos excusas sino la verdad, ¿vale?
> El estudio es interesante pero no conclusivo.
>
> Bego speaks Spanglish well. I speak three languages, English and Spanish
> well, and German well enough. Let's not look for excuses but the truth,
> OK?
> This study is interesting but harldy conclusive.

Ich furze auf deine Untersuchung

Von Gurriatten

Vinny Burgoo

Jan 17, 2007, 10:26:41 PM1/17/07
In alt.usage.english, Carlos de Gante wrote:

>Canadian scientists prove that the lifelong use of two languages delay
>degeneration of brain function, in other words dementia, by four years
>compared to monolingual people.

Please don't crosspost.

[Follow-ups set to 2002]

Gurriato

Jan 17, 2007, 10:49:42 PM1/17/07

> Sí, por supuesto tienes razón....
>
> He leido de otros estudios, en cuales los resultados indicaron que la
> gente que continua en su aprendizaje (¡de cualquier cosa!) sea menos
> probable en desarrollar condiciones como Alzheimer's .
>
> Quizás lo importante es que se haga ejercicios mentales por toda la vida.
> Y otras investigaciones recientes sugirieron que hay factores genéticos en
> el desarrollo de enfermedades cognitivas.

Good! Keeping mentally agile protects against dementia. So, as with sexual
activity, it's "use it or lose it." Besides, masturbation is also an
ever-renewable health resource. In fact, the people who start the earliest
and do it the most often are the ones who do it longest into old age. Its a
pity you may end up insane and blind and you may grow hair on your palms.

DOKTOR DEMENTO

Dr. Wayne Simon

Jan 17, 2007, 10:53:47 PM1/17/07

"Carlos de Gante" <lapar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Speaking-At-Least-Two-Languages-Impedes-Brain-Degeneration-44312.shtml

At what age does the patient have to become bilingual, because in Miami, I
have seen many bilingual patients diagnosed with Alzheimers.

Earle Horton

Jan 18, 2007, 12:40:38 AM1/18/07
"Gurriato" <pata...@netnitco.net> wrote in message

> Good! Keeping mentally agile protects against dementia. So, as with
> sexual activity, it's "use it or lose it." Besides, masturbation is also
an
> ever-renewable health resource. In fact, the people who start the
> earliest and do it the most often are the ones who do it longest into
> old age. Its a pity you may end up insane and blind and you may
> grow hair on your palms.

If "you" start out that way, what's the difference?

Saúde,

Earle

Earle Horton

Jan 18, 2007, 12:41:50 AM1/18/07

> "Earle Horton" <ea...@vascongado.usa> wrote in message
>
> > Y yo hablo tres lenguas, inglés y español
> > bien
>
> Bueno, eso de que hablas bien el español es muy debatible.
> Digamos más bien que lo chapurreas a duras penas.
>
> > y alemán suficientemente.
>
> Du hast einen Furz im Hirn!

¿Quisieras decir, "Du hast einen Fehltritt gemacht"? Digamos bien que
chapurreas el alemán a duras penas. Si haces un juego de palabras
multilingüe me aburrirás.

> >No busquemos excusas sino la verdad, ¿vale?
> > El estudio es interesante pero no conclusivo.
> >
> > Bego speaks Spanglish well. I speak three languages, English
> > and Spanish well, and German well enough. Let's not look for
> > excuses but the truth,
> > OK?
> > This study is interesting but harldy conclusive.
>
> Ich furze auf deine Untersuchung
>
> Von Gurriatten

Me alegro de que tengas un título de nobleza alemana. Pero como todo el
mundo sabe, los nobles alemanes solían tener más títulos que súbditos (y los
nobles polacos tenían abrigos de piel pero ni una sola camisa). Hombre, ví
las noticias en TVEI hoy. Tu hombre Zapatero estaba balbuceando algo sobre
la política latinoamérica. Tendrá a propósito "ayudarlos" de alguna manera.
¿Cuándo vais a aprender que les habéis hecho daño suficiente a los latinos?
Llego a creer que tienes la razón sobre ese tío.

Saúde,

Earle

Earle Horton

Jan 18, 2007, 12:42:21 AM1/18/07
"Dr. Wayne Simon" <wayne...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> At what age does the patient have to become bilingual, because in
> Miami, I have seen many bilingual patients diagnosed with Alzheimers.

This study is similar to others that I have read, in that mental activity of
different types is found to delay the onset of Alzheimer's. If you believe
that the results are generalizable, your bilingual Alzheimer's patients will
have been diagnosed somewhat later than their monolingual counterparts.

You raise an interesting question though. Language acquisition is known to
vary in difficulty with the age of the learner. There are differences
between child and adult students. Whether these carry over to the physical
brain changes hypothesized in the study is probably unknown. I believe that
mental and physical activity over a lifetime can't fail to be beneficial.
What else is there to do?

Saúde,

Earle

RafaMinu

Jan 18, 2007, 4:01:53 AM1/18/07

Vinny Burgoo wrote:
> In alt.usage.english, Carlos de Gante wrote:
>
> >Canadian scientists prove that the lifelong use of two languages delay
> >degeneration of brain function, in other words dementia, by four years
> >compared to monolingual people.
>
> Please don't crosspost.

Why not?
The post is totally relevant to all groups crossposted.

Do you have something to say about what we're discussing here?

no?

Then Shut Up and Freak Off ...

RafaMinu

Jan 18, 2007, 4:10:48 AM1/18/07

I guess it doesn't really matter at what age you become bilingual.

The important thing is to use your brain and never stop learning.

"Use it or loose it"

A study by scientists at the Rush Alzheimer's Disease Center and
Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center in Chicago, IL, appearing
in the February 13, 2002, Journal of the American Medical Association,
found that more frequent participation in cognitively stimulating
activities is associated with a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease
(AD). The research looked at everyday activities like reading books,
newspapers or magazines, engaging in crosswords or card games, and
going to museums among participants in the Religious Orders Study, an
ongoing examination of aging among older Catholic nuns, priests, and
brothers from several groups across the U.S. On a scale measuring
cognitive activity - with higher scores indicating more frequent
activity - a one-point increase in cognitive activity corresponded
with a 33 percent reduction in the risk of AD.
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/feb2002/nia-12.htm

Another recent brain-scanning study appeared to show the principle
known as "use it or lose it." in action.
As reported in the January 22, 2004 Nature, 23 healthy people, average
age 22, learned how to juggle. After three months, MRI scans showed
enlargement of the gray matter in their brains-the part responsible
for higher mental functions. Either existing cells had grown denser,
more numerous connections, or the sheer number of brain cells had
increased. When the study participants stopped juggling, their brains
shrunk again.
This doesn't mean we should all juggle our way to cognitive vitality.
But it does strongly suggest that mental exercise has real and positive
effects on brain function.
http://www.memorylossonline.com/use_it_or_lose_it.htm

Archie Valparaiso

Jan 18, 2007, 4:30:35 AM1/18/07
On 18 Jan 2007 01:01:53 -0800, "RafaMinu" <rafa...@gmail.com>
wrought:

Half the posts in this thread are in Spanish, which I happen to be
able to read but I doubt most other people in alt.usage.english or
those in sci.med.psychobiology can.

--
Archie Valparaiso

Begoluna

Jan 18, 2007, 9:32:56 AM1/18/07
"Earle Horton" <ea...@vascongado.usa> wrote in

> Bego speaks Spanglish well. I speak three languages, English and

> Spanish well, and German well enough. Let's not look for excuses but
> the truth, OK? This study is interesting but harldy conclusive.

Sooo I speak three languages toooo: Spanish, Inglés y Spanglinjch. ĄĄWe dos
belong to the same de-generación!! :-D

=.=.=.=.=
Begoluna
=.=.=.=.

Begoluna

Jan 18, 2007, 10:03:51 AM1/18/07
Archie Valparaiso <ggu...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> able to read but I doubt most other people in alt.usage.english or
> those in sci.med.psychobiology can.

We are trying to save them from braino degeneración! 8-)

=.==.=.
Begomoon
=.=.=.==

Carlos de Gante

Jan 18, 2007, 11:58:10 AM1/18/07

But that's the whole point, showing how speaking at least two Languages
impedes Brain Degeneration.
And the balanced and witty characters writing in this thread are living
proof of it.

As a scientist you should be able to read Spanish anyway, or any other
language related, as French, Latin, etc.
Thanks to being able to read Latin, Stanley B. Prusiner could literally
copy the fundaments of prions from a book written by a Spanish Doctor
50 years ago, credit himself for the discovery and win a Nobel Prize:
http://medicinahumanista.blogspot.com/search/label/Cient%C3%ADficos%20de%20Espa%C3%B1a
(Only in Spanish, sorry)

Mike Lyle

Jan 18, 2007, 2:18:49 PM1/18/07
Carlos de Gante wrote:
[...]

> Thanks to being able to read Latin, Stanley B. Prusiner could
> literally copy the fundaments of prions [...]

Hmm. Do you know what a petard is?

Skitt

Jan 18, 2007, 2:51:41 PM1/18/07
Begoluna wrote:
> Archie Valparaiso wrote in

>> able to read but I doubt most other people in alt.usage.english or
>> those in sci.med.psychobiology can.
>
> We are trying to save them from braino degeneración! 8-)

Nu, tas jau var būt, bet te neviens nesapratīs ko tagad rakstu.
--
Skitt ,
just trying to help

Carlos de Gante

Jan 18, 2007, 5:15:25 PM1/18/07

Mike Lyle wrote:
> Carlos de Gante wrote:
> [...]
> > Thanks to being able to read Latin, Stanley B. Prusiner could
> > literally copy the fundaments of prions [...]
>
> Hmm. Do you know what a petard is?

a medieval small bomb used to blow up gates and walls when breaching
fortifications?

Or do you mean it as in the phrase "to be hoisted by one's own petard",
which means "to be harmed by one's own plan to harm someone else" or
"to fall in one's own trap".[salir el tiro por la culata]
Shakespeare coined the now proverbial phrase in Hamlet:
In the following passage, the "letters" refer to instructions (written
by his uncle Claudius, the King) to be carried sealed to the King of
England, by Hamlet, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern, the latter being two
schoolfellows of Hamlet. The letters, as Hamlet suspects, contain a
death warrant against Hamlet, who will later open and modify them to
instead request the execution of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Enginer
refers to a military engineer.

There's letters seal'd: and my two schoolfellows,
Whom I will trust as I will adders fang'd,
They bear the mandate; they must sweep my way
And marshal me to knavery. Let it work;
For 'tis the sport to have the enginer
Hoist with his own petar; and 't shall go hard
But I will delve one yard below their mines
And blow them at the moon: O, 'tis most sweet,
When in one line two crafts directly meet.

After modifying the letters Hamlet escapes the ship and returns to
Denmark.

Gurriato

Jan 18, 2007, 7:17:42 PM1/18/07

> Mike Lyle wrote:
>> Carlos de Gante wrote:
>> [...]
>> > Thanks to being able to read Latin, Stanley B. Prusiner could
>> > literally copy the fundaments of prions [...]
>>
>> Hmm. Do you know what a petard is?
>
> a medieval small bomb used to blow up gates and walls when breaching
> fortifications?

El peta o petardo tiene infinidad de palabras sinagogas como porro,
makareno, papelillo, canuto, churro, güiro, leño, cohete, troncho, faso,
etsetegá, etsetegá, etsetegá.

GURRIATEMBERG

Carlos de Gante

Jan 19, 2007, 4:06:24 AM1/19/07

Oh I see,
you mean the Petá, with emphasis in the last A, then ...

As in Petate, no?

Mike Lyle

Jan 19, 2007, 9:26:39 AM1/19/07

Carlos de Gante wrote:
> Mike Lyle wrote:
> > Carlos de Gante wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Thanks to being able to read Latin, Stanley B. Prusiner could
> > > literally copy the fundaments of prions [...]
> >
> > Hmm. Do you know what a petard is?
>
> a medieval small bomb used to blow up gates and walls when breaching
> fortifications?
>
> Or do you mean it as in the phrase "to be hoisted by one's own petard",
[...]

There is a fundamental connection.

--
Mike.

Earle Horton

Jan 19, 2007, 11:17:19 AM1/19/07
"Mike Lyle" <mike_l...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
This fellow, Carlos de Gante or Rafaminu, has a hard on for any and all
types of alternative medicine and ways to increase your quality of life
without really working at it. I don't deny that there are problems with
conventional medicine, or that some schools of alternative medicine may be
based on valid precepts, but Charly is going at it all wrong. He grasps
at any straw to "prove" that his world view is the best. This kind of ad
hoc argument is not the way to conduct a scientific investigation or to find
out what is really going on in the world.

Carlito's looking for the quick buck, and he isn't really going to find it.
He's also looking to increase the prestige and glory of the Spanish
language, by making it in his own mind the equal or something superior to
English. But it's not English, and it never will be. Witness his attempts
to fill the Spanish version of Wikipedia with (worthless) articles on any
and all types of alternative medicine. Or this thread, with it's implied
denigration of monolingual persons. A Basque teenager with an addiction to
soccer and video games, and an alleged hatred of Spanish culture, according
to "Carlos", regularly has his efforts shot down. When a history of
twenty-first century Usenet is written, he will be a sad footnote in the
chapter on stridently annoying copy/paste artists.

He also does not respond well to any type of criticism, as you will no doubt
see shortly. ;^)

Saúde,

Earle

Dr. Wayne Simon

Jan 20, 2007, 2:15:26 AM1/20/07

"RafaMinu" <rafa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I have seen very active and intelligent lawyers, doctors,pharmacists, get
alzheimers, and have seen some elderly patients who sat back and did little
for most of their lives, but still have similar brain function to what they
had when they were much younger. I think we really need to know exactly
what turns on the genes that creates the abnormal metabolism in the brain
which leads to the pathological findings.

RafaMinu

Jan 20, 2007, 3:29:39 AM1/20/07
Couldn't that be because they never used their brains that much anyway,
even when they were younger?

> I think we really need to know exactly
> what turns on the genes that creates the abnormal metabolism in the brain
> which leads to the pathological findings.

Surely there exists also external agents that lead to brain
degeneration, such as chemical poisons from food, water and air.

For example, there's mounting evidence that suggests that Thimerosal, a
mercury-based preservative in children's vaccines, may be responsible
for the exponential growth of autism, attention deficit disorder,
speech delays, and other childhood neurological disorders now epidemic
in the United States:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/07/01/autism_mercury_and_politics/
http://www.mercola.com/2001/feb/24/autism_mercury.htm

John Holmes

Jan 20, 2007, 6:02:56 AM1/20/07

> The important thing is to use your brain and never stop learning.
>
> "Use it or loose it"

Oy! Never stop learning, Wayne.

(Well, it is crossposted to alt.usage.english)

--
Regards
John

Roland Hutchinson

Jan 20, 2007, 10:49:43 AM1/20/07
John Holmes wrote:

> "Dr. Wayne Simon" <wayne...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> The important thing is to use your brain and never stop learning.
>>
>> "Use it or loose it"
>
> Oy! Never stop learning, Wayne.
>
> (Well, it is crossposted to alt.usage.english)

Watch out! He's got a brain! If he looses it on us, we're done for!

--
Roland Hutchinson              Will play viola da gamba for food.

NB mail to my.spamtrap [at] verizon.net is heavily filtered to
remove spam.  If your message looks like spam I may not see it.

Earle Horton

Jan 20, 2007, 11:15:29 AM1/20/07

> For example, there's mounting evidence that suggests that Thimerosal,
> a mercury-based preservative in children's vaccines, may be
> responsible for the exponential growth of autism, attention deficit
> disorder, speech delays, and other childhood neurological disorders
> now epidemic in the United States:

Honestly Chulo, I thought you were too ingelligent to fall in with the
mercury causes autism crowd. Here you are looking for a scapegoat and an
easy fix. Hombre, these "disorders" are now epidemic in the United States
because it is fashionable to diagnose them, it gives the parents, the
schools and the child too a more socially acceptable way of explaining
deviant behavior, "He's not really retarded, he has ADHD!", and it's a
veritable windfall for the drug companies. There's no autism epidemic, and
if there is a problem it is not caused by trace amounts of mercury. One
hundred fifty years ago, at the heyday of the Industrial Revolution, we were
all swimming in a sea of toxic chemicals compared to the relatively clean
environment we have today.

Saúde,

Earle

Gurriato

Jan 20, 2007, 1:38:52 PM1/20/07
Regular playing is considered hyperactivity by Murrikan parents.

ADD is overdiagnosed, and harmful medications used to treat the condition
are overprescribed.

Teachers around the country routinely push pills on any students who are
even a little playful.

A high percentage of diagnosed atention deficit and hyperactivity is
PLAIN BULLSHIT.

Murrikan parents believe they have the constitutional right of everyone of
their children being a well behaved genius. There is evidence of
widespread overdiagnosis and misdiagnosis of attention deficit disorder and
widespread overprescription of medications by physicians.

Now is the mercury in vaccines. Before were mercury tooth fillings.

The reality is that many children are often sleep deprived by too much TV
watching and home work.

GURRIATO

"Earle Horton" <el_anglo...@usa.com> wrote in message

Gurriato

Jan 20, 2007, 1:45:22 PM1/20/07

"John Holmes" <see...@instead.com> wrote in message

> "Dr. Wayne Simon" <wayne...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> The important thing is to use your brain and never stop learning.
>>
>> "Use it or loose it"
>
> Oy! Never stop learning, Wayne.
>
> (Well, it is crossposted to alt.usage.english)

Probably crossposted by a hyperactive Gringo called Jorton. He suffers
attention deficit like most Murrikans. Too many hamburgers and candy bars,
you know.

GURRIATEMBERG

Carlos de Gante

Jan 20, 2007, 5:11:00 PM1/20/07

Earle Horton wrote:
> "RafaMinu" <rafa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > For example, there's mounting evidence that suggests that Thimerosal,
> > a mercury-based preservative in children's vaccines, may be
> > responsible for the exponential growth of autism, attention deficit
> > disorder, speech delays, and other childhood neurological disorders
> > now epidemic in the United States:
>
> Honestly Chulo, I thought you were too ingelligent to fall in with the
> mercury causes autism crowd. Here you are looking for a scapegoat and an
> easy fix. Hombre, these "disorders" are now epidemic in the United States
> because it is fashionable to diagnose them, it gives the parents, the
> schools and the child too a more socially acceptable way of explaining
> deviant behavior, "He's not really retarded, he has ADHD!", and it's a
> veritable windfall for the drug companies. There's no autism epidemic, and
> if there is a problem it is not caused by trace amounts of mercury. One
Right, and dismiss all studies that show a direct relationship between
mercury in children's vaccines and autism:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49094
Published in the March 10 issue of the Journal of American Physicians
and Surgeons, the data show since mercury was removed from childhood
vaccines, the reported rates of autism and other neurological disorders
in children not only stopped increasing but actually dropped sharply
- by as much as 35 percent.
Using the government's own databases, independent researchers analyzed
reports of childhood neurological disorders, including autism, before
and after removal of mercury-based preservatives.

> hundred fifty years ago, at the heyday of the Industrial Revolution, we were
> all swimming in a sea of toxic chemicals compared to the relatively clean
> environment we have today.

You've got to be joking.
Yourself is a prime example of the negative effects that an unhealthy
diet can inflict on naive minds.

You really have no idea of what you're talking about, you fool.
Just for a change ...

* The world's oceans are being pushed beyond the breaking point, due to
a lethal combination of pollution and over-exploitation. Eleven of the
15 most important oceanic fisheries and 70 percent of the major fish
species are now fully or over-exploited. And more than half the world's
coral reefs are now sick or dying.

* Growing stress can also be seen in the world's woodlands, where the
clearing of tropical forests has contributed recently to unprecedented
fires across large areas of Southeast Asia, the Amazon, and Central
America.

* Environmental deterioration is taking a growing toll on a wide range
of living organisms. Of the 242,000 plant species surveyed by the World
Conservation Union in 1997, some 33,000, or 14 percent, are threatened
with extinction-mainly as a result of massive land clearing for
housing, roads, and industries. This mass extinction is projected to
disrupt nature's ability to provide essential ecosystem services,
ranging from pollination to flood control.

* The atmosphere is also under assault. The billions of tons of carbon
that have been released since the Industrial Revolution have pushed
atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide to their highest level in
160,000 years-a level that continues to rise each year. As scientists
predicted, temperatures are rising along with the concentration of
carbon dioxide. The latest jump in 2006 left the global temperature at
its highest level since record-keeping began in the mid-19th century.
Higher temperatures are projected to threaten food supplies in the next
century, while more severe storms cause economic damage, and rising
seas inundate coastal cities.

* etc, etc, etc ...

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/newsandeventsScienceandPolicyNews.html

But is OK Jorton, just smile and be moronish happy ...

Robert Bannister

Jan 20, 2007, 6:24:51 PM1/20/07
Gurriato wrote:

> Regular playing is considered hyperactivity by Murrikan parents.
>
> ADD is overdiagnosed, and harmful medications used to treat the condition
> are overprescribed.
>
> Teachers around the country routinely push pills on any students who are
> even a little playful.

Hey, keep the blame where it belongs, with the parents and doctors. It
is parents who are continuously trying to convince teachers that their
vile, violent, foul-mouthed, lazy darling has a medical condition.

I had one parent who bombarded me for a couple of months with literature
"explaining" attention deficit disorder. After her boy went on the
medication, the only difference I noticed was that he made even less
effort in class, although he did behave a little better - probably
planning where he was going to get the best price for selling on his pills.

--
Rob Bannister

El Señor Mercurio

Jan 20, 2007, 6:40:32 PM1/20/07

> Earle Horton wrote:

> > Honestly Chulo, I thought you were too ingelligent to fall in with the
> > mercury causes autism crowd. Here you are looking for a scapegoat
> > and an easy fix. Hombre, these "disorders" are now epidemic in the
> > United States because it is fashionable to diagnose them, it gives the
> > parents, the schools and the child too a more socially acceptable way
> > of explaining deviant behavior, "He's not really retarded, he has
> > ADHD!", and it's a veritable windfall for the drug companies. There's
> > no autism epidemic, and if there is a problem it is not caused by trace
> > amounts of mercury. One
> Right, and dismiss all studies that show a direct relationship between
> mercury in children's vaccines and autism:
> http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49094
> Published in the March 10 issue of the Journal of American Physicians
> and Surgeons, the data show since mercury was removed from childhood
> vaccines, the reported rates of autism and other neurological disorders
> in children not only stopped increasing but actually dropped sharply
> - by as much as 35 percent.

My father worked in the mercury mine and his father before him. They went
down into the ground and brought back buckets and buckets of mercury which
they sold door to door to drug and vaccine companies for pennies a kilo. We
used scrap mercury that he brought home to tan the leather for our shoes, to
make soap, to paint the cradles and to make cosmetics which we sold door to
door. I no longer live in El Pueblecito de Mercurio, since my sight is bad
and because of the tremors, but I have fond memories of growing up there and
I feel a kinship with the people who live there now. These good people
depend on "la plata líquida" for their very livelihood. Please, do not take
this away from them. Mercury is safe. It is a part of the Earth. Why
would it be there, except for people to mine it and make their living? I
oppose efforts to restrict the use of mercury. The poor people in my home
village suffer from them. It is part of the heritage. You should see the
children's faces when they finally smash the piñata full of shining mercury!
So happy, so carefree, they forget for a minute about their crutches, their
eye patches, their nails and hair falling out. There is so little happiness
in the village, except what comes from mercury. You can help. Write to
your elected representative and tell him that restrictions on use of mercury
are bad for the people.

El Señor Mercurio

Gurriato

Jan 20, 2007, 9:22:42 PM1/20/07

"Robert Bannister" <rob...@it.net.au> wrote in message

> Gurriato wrote:
>
>> Regular playing is considered hyperactivity by Murrikan parents.
>>
>> ADD is overdiagnosed, and harmful medications used to treat the condition
>> are overprescribed.
>>
>> Teachers around the country routinely push pills on any students who are
>> even a little playful.
>
> Hey, keep the blame where it belongs, with the parents and doctors. It is
> parents who are continuously trying to convince teachers that their vile,
> violent, foul-mouthed, lazy darling has a medical condition.

There's a sucker born every minute. Physicians bilk troubled parents out of
their hard-earned cash by actually convincing them that their obnoxious
darling's problem has a solution and that they can give it to them. Yep,
this attention deficit scam is a real money maker.

I know all this. In fact I am a neurologist myself. I hate to give away my
secrets, but I'll let you in on the basics, just so you can see what an
amazing racket physicians have going.

I know what some of you are thinking. How physicians can prey on these
innocent people?
Hey, we didn't ask them to be born so stupid! That's their own damn fault!
It's like they're begging to be ripped off. Physicians let parents jaber on
for a good 20 minutes while they think about the hot speed boat they are
planning to buy. Then they prescribe Ritalin.

At least we don't tell people, like Argento psychoanalist do, that
everything is the parent's fault. We tell people that their brats have a
chemical umbalance in their heads. We don't put parents through a gilt trip
or nothing.

> I had one parent who bombarded me for a couple of months with literature
> "explaining" attention deficit disorder. After her boy went on the
> medication, the only difference I noticed was that he made even less
> effort in class, although he did behave a little better - probably
> planning where he was going to get the best price for selling on his
> pills.

I am trying to say, as tactfully as possible, that you may not have much of
a future as a teacher. In fact teachers secretly hate kids and want them to
be drugged up. You are the exception to the rule.

DOKTOR DEMENTO

Earle Horton

Jan 20, 2007, 9:58:10 PM1/20/07
"Gurriato" <pata...@netnitco.net> wrote in message

"Guilt trip for nothing." This is a vestige of the Freudian School of
Psychoanalysis. It is very profitable if you can get the patient to sign on
for a full course of treatment, because that will take hundreds of hours of
one-on-one listening to the patient reconstruct his life, while the
therapist looks at speed-boat catalogs, and occasionally interrupts the
meaningless monologue with "And why do *you* think that your father wore
panty hose?" The problem is that patients rich and foolish enough to sign
on for a full course of treatment are few and far between, and that
insurance companies are wise to this scam, and will usually only pay for
twenty hours or so.

Prescribing Ritalin is a quick twenty minutes, bill the insurance company,
write the scrip and remind the concerned parents to tell all their friends
how well this shit works. Don't forget to keep your malpractice insurance
paid up for the one in a thousand kids who goes postal, commits suicide or
develops heart problems as a result of the Ritalin.

> > I had one parent who bombarded me for a couple of months with
> > literature "explaining" attention deficit disorder. After her boy went
> > on the medication, the only difference I noticed was that he made
> > even less effort in class, although he did behave a little better -
> > probably planning where he was going to get the best price for
> > selling on his pills.

Ritalin is like methamphetamine. Your mind is racing a mile a minute, you
imagine yourself to have all sorts of intellectual and physical power, such
as being able to touch the ground and stop the world turning, cure cancer
and straighten out Spanish national politics with a few words. When you
speak it's slow and measured, because you're thinking too fast for anything
else. This is called a "paradoxical effect", but being a neurologist you
already know this. It's great for selling to the other kids, because they
all want to be an all-powerful god too.

> I am trying to say, as tactfully as possible, that you may not have much
> of a future as a teacher. In fact teachers secretly hate kids and want
> them to be drugged up. You are the exception to the rule.

I think you're wrong here, Doctor Gurriato. Teachers don't "secretly" hate
kids.

Saúde

Earle

Gurriato

Jan 20, 2007, 10:44:46 PM1/20/07

"Earle Horton" <el_anglo...@usa.com> wrote in message

Hey, Jorton, would you like to give 100 bucks to prove you don't hate
hyperactive kids?
If you can't afford 100 buks, send at least five.

I'm canvassing these ngs collecting donations for the Dr. Gurriato
Organization for the Welfare of Obnoxious Kids. We are an organization
dedicated to help brats here in the community lead better lives.

If you don't mind my being blunt, my dear Jorton, may I ask whether you
hate obnoxious kids?

Wonderful. I'm so glad I was right about you. Now, would you be willing to
donate five bucks to our organization to PROVE that you don't?

Anyone can just say that they don't hate vile, violent, foul-mouthed, lazy
kid, but it takes a special kind of person to put their money where their
mouth is; a person who doesn't want everyone in the Spanish teaching
community to know they are too cheap and selfish to party with five measly
dollars to help these unfortunate obnoxious kids.

I don't mean to pressure you, but the Dr. Gurriato Organization for the
Welfare of Obnoxious Kids is an extremely worthwile cause that's in dire
need of funds. So if you could find it in your heart to pull five lousy
bucks from the pocket of that expensive-looking suit it would be much
appreciated by the irritating brats you claim claim not to hate.

Send your donation to Dr. Gurriato Organization for the Welfare of Obnoxious
Kids.

Gracias por adelantado.

DOKTOR DEMENTO

Earle Horton

Jan 20, 2007, 11:36:54 PM1/20/07
"Gurriato" <pata...@netnitco.net> wrote in message
I don't have anything to prove, and I did learn something during my sojourn
in Espain. "Cállate. ¡Cállate! ¡Cállate! ¡CÁLLATE! ¡PAPÁ NECESITA QUE
TE CALLES POR DIOS! Por Dios. Por Dios. ¡Ay! ¡Qué malo padre soy! Lo
siento. Perdóname. (sollozos)" I think I figured why your country isn't
overrun with psychotherapists like Argentina. They put the guilt on the
kids, where it belongs.

Post the address here and I'll think about sending at least five.

Saúde,

Earle

Martin Ambuhl

Jan 21, 2007, 1:11:24 AM1/21/07
Gurriato wrote:

> We don't put parents through a gilt trip
> or nothing.

How much does one of those gilt traps cost? Do the animals caught in
them yield particularly valuable furs, or are those traps just for show?
If you don't put the parents through nothing, what _do_ you put them
through? Or did you accidentally send this post to alt.usage.english and
alt.language?

RafaMinu

Jan 21, 2007, 4:26:15 AM1/21/07

There's a better solution for those stupid parents.
Super Nanny:
Supernanny, can tame the wildest toddler, soothe the savage
six-year-old and get the most difficult child to overcome problems with
behavior, sleep, mealtime, potty training and other challenges that
have vexed parents around the world for centuries:
http://www.supernanny.com
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3796161667831507038

Begoluna

Jan 21, 2007, 10:30:05 AM1/21/07
"Gurriato" <pata...@netnitco.net> wrote in

> I know all this. In fact I am a neurologist myself.

You don't act like that!! 8-)P

> DOKTOR DEMENTO

==.=.=.=.==.=.=.=.===.
Pacient Depepperminto
=.=.=.=.=.=.===.=.===

Begoluna

Jan 21, 2007, 10:36:07 AM1/21/07
"Gurriato" <pata...@netnitco.net> wrote in

> If you don't mind my being blunt, my dear Jorton, may I ask whether
> you hate obnoxious kids?

I hate obnoxious doctors!!! 8-(P

> Send your donation to Dr. Gurriato Organization for the Welfare of
> Obnoxious Kids.
>
> Gracias por adelantado.
>
> DOKTOR DEMENTO

Gracias, Ąpor atrás!! :-)P

=.=.=.===.=.=.=.=.==.
Pacient Depepperminto
=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.==

Begoluna

Jan 21, 2007, 10:37:23 AM1/21/07
"Earle Horton" <el_anglo...@usa.com> wrote in

> Post the address here and I'll think about sending at least five.

Children??!!! :-?

=.=.=.=.=
Begomoon
=.=.=.=.

Gurriato

Jan 21, 2007, 12:13:39 PM1/21/07

"Martin Ambuhl" <mam...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Gurriato wrote:
>
>> We don't put parents through a gilt trip or nothing.
>
> How much does one of those gilt traps cost? Do the animals caught in
> them yield particularly valuable furs, or are those traps just for show?

Ha, ha, ha. How very funny. Who said nerdish English school teachers don't
have a sense of humor?

Next time tell me the one about the chicken crossing the road.

> If you don't put the parents through nothing, what _do_ you put them
> through? Or did you accidentally send this post to alt.usage.english and
> alt.language?

I didn't want you to miss my superbe postings. Eventually, it will occur to
you that every interesting thing that's happened in the Internet wasn't
sent to alt.usage.english, alt.language and sci.med.psychobiolog. The
hottest place in the net is actually alt.usage.spanish. The stars foretell a
glorious and prosperous future for the Spanish language.

GURRIATO

Earle Horton

Jan 21, 2007, 12:37:22 PM1/21/07
"Martin Ambuhl" <mam...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

This thread was originally cross-posted to alt.usage.english and
sci.med.psychobiology by "Carlos de Gante" aka "Rafaminu", who fancies
himself bilingual. Gurriato also fancies himself bilingual. The utterances
of Spaniards are sometimes hard to decipher, even when made in their native
dialect.

Saúde,

Earle

Gurriato

Jan 21, 2007, 12:50:39 PM1/21/07

"Earle Horton" <el_anglo...@usa.com> wrote in message

My postings were in fact meant for sci.med.psychobiology. I wanted to
discuss that a report published in the journal Nature hypothesizes that
both genetics and social dynamics are to blame for your being such an
asshole (tonto del culo in Spanish)

Saude e força no canudo.

LA BESTIA IBERICA

RafaMinu

Jan 21, 2007, 12:58:47 PM1/21/07

I thought it would be beneficial to Mankind to post a method to keep
mentally healthy.
Now you are ruining it, because all those monolingual people out there
won't believe it because they will realize what a hopeless dimwit you
are, and miss a chance to broaden their minds with the side-effects of
narrowing in some cultural laces.

But Horton is NOT, i repeat, he is NOT bilingüal.
DON'T go alongside him to any Spanish-speaking country, because you'll
be bond to find yourself in Real Trouble before you have time to say !
Viva España ¡

Gurriato

Jan 21, 2007, 2:05:44 PM1/21/07

Earle Horton wrote:
> "Martin Ambuhl" <mam...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Gurriato wrote:
> >
> > > We don't put parents through a gilt trip
> > > or nothing.
> >
> > How much does one of those gilt traps cost? Do the animals caught in
> > them yield particularly valuable furs, or are those traps just for show?
> > If you don't put the parents through nothing, what _do_ you put them
> > through? Or did you accidentally send this post to alt.usage.english and
> > alt.language?
>
> This thread was originally cross-posted to alt.usage.english and
> sci.med.psychobiology by "Carlos de Gante" aka "Rafaminu", who fancies
> himself bilingual. Gurriato also fancies himself bilingual. The
> utterances
> of Spaniards are sometimes hard to decipher, even when made in their
> native
> dialect.

I thought it would be beneficial to Mankind to post a method to keep
mentally healthy.

Now you are ruining it, because all those monolingual people out there
won't believe it because they will realize what a hopeless dimwit you
are, and miss a chance to broaden their minds with the side-effects of
narrowing in some cultural laces.

But Horton is NOT, i repeat, he is NOT bilingüal.
DON'T go alongside him to any Spanish-speaking country, because you'll
be bond to find yourself in Real Trouble before you have time to say !
Viva España ¡

Jorton will be damned if he knows what those guys on the Spanish -language
TV stations are saying, but he knows they're having a much better time than
he is.

The idiot went to Spain to learn Spanish and, unbeknown to him, he was
taught some obscure Basque dialect spoken by one dozen Hillbillies in the
Pyrenees. He only found about it when he went back to New Mexico and
realized that illegal immigrants couldn't understand a word of what he said.
He is now contemplating to move to Idaho to become a sheep shepherd, as he
won't have to communicate with his pupils at the meadow.

LA BESTIA IBERICA

RafaMinu

Jan 21, 2007, 3:22:20 PM1/21/07

But that surely is the immigrant's fault.
And Dr. Livingjorstone is here to teach a Lesson of Spanish to all
those savages

Gurriato

Jan 21, 2007, 3:49:45 PM1/21/07

>But that surely is the immigrant's fault.
>And Dr. Livingjorstone is here to teach a Lesson of Spanish to all
>those savages

Mr. Jorton laughs at tourists with their phrasebooks stumbling to conjugate
verbs and keep up with the simplest of conversations. Mr. Jorton is a firm
believer that if you're not prepared to take two weeks off before a trip
to master a language (like him), then don't bother going. With this approach
he is able to start teaching the natives their own language as soon as he
gets out of the plane. However he run into certain difficulties the day he
couldn't say "¿Dónde coños está el papel higiénico?" during his stay at
Vitoria. He said to a waiter something like "No toiletou paipelou en el
Juan" as he desperately pointed to his ass (Los camareros de la cafetería
lo miraban estupefactos).

Murrikans are like that. Ernest Hemingway tried to teach Joselito and
Belmonte how to bullfight.

LA BESTIA IBERICA

Earle Horton

Jan 21, 2007, 9:43:03 PM1/21/07

> "RafaMinu" <rafa...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>

> >But that surely is the immigrant's fault.
> >And Dr. Livingjorstone is here to teach a Lesson of Spanish
> >to all those savages

You little boys should take Sunday off, como Dios mandó. And Rafamiñito, no
hay palabras como "bilingüal" en inglés, ich bin ein dreisprachiger Mensch,
wie ich dir schon gesagt hatte, and the places I go in Espain you don't want
to say "¡Viva España!" to anybody. It's "Gora Euskadi!" even to the Spanish
speakers. They speak Spanish, but they are Basques, even the ones who moved
there last week.

[Rafaminu]

> broaden their minds with the side-effects of narrowing
> in some cultural laces

> you'll be bond to find yourself in Real Trouble

¿Mande?

> DON'T go alongside him

This is bastante pedante. You should take that job in Seattle. After a
year or two, you will be speaking English well alongside Gurriato, and you
will be making many dates with the good looking blonde girls who fall for
your lisping accent.

Saúde,

Earle

Chris Malcolm

Jun 18, 2007, 6:59:23 AM6/18/07
In alt.usage.english Dr. Wayne Simon <wayne...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "RafaMinu" <rafa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Dr. Wayne Simon wrote:

>> "Carlos de Gante" <lapar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Canadian scientists prove that the lifelong use of two languages delay
>> degeneration of brain function, in other words dementia, by four years
>> compared to monolingual people.

[]

>> The researchers used data of Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE)
>> scores (a measure of general cognitive functioning), years of education
>> and occupation. The MMSE scores were the same for the monolingual and
>> bilingual groups at their initial visit to the clinic, pointing
>> comparable levels of impairment.
>>
>> The team discovered that the mean age of onset of dementia symptoms in
>> the monolingual group was 71.4 years, while the bilingual group was
>> 75.5 years, and this difference persisted even after putting on
>> equation the bias determined by cultural differences, immigration,
>> formal education, employment and gender.
>>
>> "There are no pharmacological interventions that are this dramatic,"
>> says Dr. Freedman, who is Head of the Division of Neurology, and
>> Director of the Memory Clinic at Baycrest.

>> At what age does the patient have to become bilingual, because in Miami, I
>> have seen many bilingual patients diagnosed with Alzheimers.

The study is talking about delayed onset of symptoms, not prevention,
and is therefore entirely consistent with your observation.

> I guess it doesn't really matter at what age you become bilingual.

> The important thing is to use your brain and never stop learning.

> "Use it or loose it"

> A study by scientists at the Rush Alzheimer's Disease Center and
> Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center in Chicago, IL, appearing
> in the February 13, 2002, Journal of the American Medical Association,
> found that more frequent participation in cognitively stimulating
> activities is associated with a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease
> (AD).
> The research looked at everyday activities like reading books,
> newspapers or magazines, engaging in crosswords or card games, and
> going to museums among participants in the Religious Orders Study, an
> ongoing examination of aging among older Catholic nuns, priests, and
> brothers from several groups across the U.S. On a scale measuring
> cognitive activity - with higher scores indicating more frequent
> activity - a one-point increase in cognitive activity corresponded
> with a 33 percent reduction in the risk of AD.
> http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/feb2002/nia-12.htm

A common confusion between symptoms and disease. I do wish doctors had
a better scientific education.

> I have seen very active and intelligent lawyers, doctors,pharmacists, get
> alzheimers, and have seen some elderly patients who sat back and did little
> for most of their lives, but still have similar brain function to what they
> had when they were much younger. I think we really need to know exactly
> what turns on the genes that creates the abnormal metabolism in the brain
> which leads to the pathological findings.

Note that the original study did not concern itself with the onset of
the degenerative disease process of Alzheimer's, it concerned itself
with the onset of a certain level of mental deficit. It was thus not
distinguishing between delaying the onset of Alzheimer's, and having a
sufficient head start that Alzheimer's has to progress further to
cause the diagnostic degree of mental deficit.

Similarly myopathy has to progress further in a strong man than a
weak one before he can't open a jam jar.

--
Chris Malcolm c...@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Rafa Minu

Jun 18, 2007, 8:03:51 AM6/18/07
On Jun 18, 12:59 pm, Chris Malcolm <c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> In alt.usage.english Dr. Wayne Simon <wayne.si...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > "RafaMinu" <rafam...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Dr. Wayne Simon wrote:
> >> "Carlos de Gante" <laparan...@gmail.com> wrote in message
So, according to you,
is it beneficial for Alzheimer patients to speak 2+ languages?

> --
> Chris Malcolm c...@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk DoD #205
> IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
> [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
That link does not work:
Artificial Intelligence at Edinburgh - Unvailable Pages
I'm kind of curious now ...

John O'Flaherty

Jun 18, 2007, 9:51:38 AM6/18/07
On Jun 18, 5:59 am, Chris Malcolm <c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> In alt.usage.english Dr. Wayne Simon <wayne.si...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > "RafaMinu" <rafam...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Dr. Wayne Simon wrote:
> >> "Carlos de Gante" <laparan...@gmail.com> wrote in message

For someone deciding whether to take up another language to try to
improve their mental longevity, it's an artificial distinction. What
is Alzheimer's apart from its symptoms? Maybe some people have plaque
formation and never have a mental deficit.
--
John

John

Jun 18, 2007, 2:29:16 PM6/18/07
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:51:38 UTC, John O'Flaherty
<quia...@yahoo.com> declaimed:

> For someone deciding whether to take up another language to try to
> improve their mental longevity, it's an artificial distinction. What
> is Alzheimer's apart from its symptoms? Maybe some people have plaque
> formation and never have a mental deficit.

Another recent study showed that there is an area of the brain that
could be thought of as the "default" part, i.e., when you're not
thinking of anything, when you're daydreaming, that part becomes
active. By studying languages and exercising the other parts of your
brain you keep the blood flowing to those parts; perhaps that is what
helps stave off the onset of alzheiemers'

--
Remove letters in caps from email address before replying

Earle Horton

Jun 18, 2007, 2:34:01 PM6/18/07
"John" <agar...@CDyahoo.com> wrote in message
Is that the same as the "watching football" part? Or maybe it's the
"reading Usenet" part...

Saludos cordiales,

Earle