James: to hold on by

Marius Hancu

Nov 26, 2009, 5:17:20 AM11/26/09
Hello:

"to hold on by"
is that
to use as a reliable reference?

---
[Strether talks with little Bilham about Sarah Pocock checking up on
himself and setting up a confrontation]

"Well then," his friend replied, "there you are; I give you my
impression for what it's worth. Mrs. Pocock has SEEN, and that's to-
night how she sits there. If you were to have a glimpse of her face
you'd understand me. She has made up her mind—to the sound of
expensive music."

Strether took it freely in. "Ah then I shall have news of her."

"I don't want to frighten you, but I think that likely. However,"
little Bilham continued, "if I'm of the least use to you to hold on by
—!"

Henry James, The Ambassadors, p. 283
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/432/432-h/432-h.htm
-----