People I have virtually met.

Richard Chambers

Nov 20, 2009, 5:25:35 AM11/20/09
I wander'd lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils,
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze,
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

William Wordsworth
William Wordsworth wrote

> I wander'd lonely as a cloud
> That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

Daffodils cannot "toss their heads". It just does not make logical sense.
The breeze can cause the daffodils to move around with the semi-unified,
semi-random motion that is characteristic of a large group of daffodils. If
that is what the original poster meant, that is what he should say.

Cordially, Eric Walker.
William Wordsworth wrote

> I wander'd lonely as a cloud
> That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

I suggest an Amblesideboink. Anybody interested for the weekend of April
26? The daffodils should be in full bloom by then.

LFS
Eric Walker wrote
> William Wordsworth wrote

>> I wander'd lonely as a cloud
>> That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

>Daffodils cannot "toss their heads". [....]

How about "doing the Mexican wave"? ....r

A pessimist sees the glass as half empty.
An optometrist asks whether you see the glass
more full like this?...or like this?
William Wordsworth wrote

> I wander'd lonely as a cloud
> That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

This poem is wrong. I am not going to waste my time, and that of other users
of aue, telling him why it is wrong. He claims to be a poet, so he should
know for himself why it is wrong. Anybody else, and I would have told him
what was wrong with it. I don't want to be involved in any discussion of the
matter.

Murray Arnow
LFS wrote
> William Wordsworth wrote

>> I wander'd lonely as a cloud
>> That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

> I suggest an Amblesideboink

What good luck. It so happens that I shall be visiting the north of England
on that very weekend. I would love to meet some of the people that i
communicate with on aue. Count me in.

Steve Hayes
---------------------------------
Steve"Asshole limp-dick fuck-pig brothel-keeper" Hayes wrote
>LFS wrote
>> William Wordsworth wrote

>>> I wander'd lonely as a cloud
>>> That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

>> I suggest an Amblesideboink

> What good luck [... ]

That's bad luck for Laura, ASSHOLE! Wipe your bottom when you go to the
toilet, cretin! What makes you think that she would want to put up with
doafgrimml buggldompf like you, ASSHOLE cretin? It would really spoil the
weekend for her if that whining hypocrite granny-fucker Eric shit-hole
Walker also decides to go. He should stick his pedantic little finger up his
shitty arse. And that penche pendejo limp-dick.

Reinhold "Rey" Aman

Richard Chambers

Nov 20, 2009, 5:33:43 AM11/20/09

"Richard Chambers" <richard.cham...@ntlworld.net> wrote in message

I pressed the Send button by mistake. I had intended to do a few others too,
which now will have to follow later when I have had time to prepare them. My
apologies.

Richard Chambers Leeds UK.

LFS

Nov 20, 2009, 6:14:55 AM11/20/09

<grin> Do send them soon!

Which reminds me: I am off to Brussels on Sunday and shall be meeting up
with Stephanie. If anyone else is there during the next few days, do
email me.

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

Richard Chambers

Nov 20, 2009, 7:08:13 AM11/20/09

"Richard Chambers" <richard.cham...@ntlworld.net> wrote in message
[continuing from where I prematurely clicked the Send button.]
It is a pity, because I really did want the next one to follow directly from
the last.
William Wordsworth wrote

> I wander'd lonely as a cloud

> That floats on high o'er vales and hills, [ ... ]

Recent research by the University of Honiston has shown, some think
conclusively, that Wordsworth did not write this poem at all. See
www.honiston.ac.uk/English_Department/19th_century_poets/Byron
Papers have recently come to light that show that the poem is actually the
work of Byron. The two poets spent a weekend together at Ambleside in April
1807, one year before the publication of the poem. When the time came for
them to leave, Byron's "Daffodils", which catch the fiery poet in gentler
mood, became mixed in with Wordsworth's papers, while Wordsworth's "And thou
art dead, as young and fair" became mixed with Byron's papers. The mix-up
was not detected until after publication of both works. The two poets
secretly agreed to let the matter rest at that. Scholars have suspected for
decades that there was something odd about the poem "Daffodils", if
attributed to Wordsworth. This research seems to provide some supporting
evidence.

Best Donna Richoux
William Wordsworth wrote

> I wander'd lonely as a cloud

> That floats on high o'er vales and hills, [ ... ]

I am going to die soon, so it does not really matter. Before I do, the
beauty of this poem has inspired me to make plans to re-visit the Lake
District next April.

Leslie Danks.
William Wordsworth wrote

> I wander'd lonely as a cloud

> That floats on high o'er vales and hills, [ ... ]

I wander'd lonely as a hang-glider

That floats on high o'er vales and hills

When all at once my rip-cord broke

etc [I'm sorry, I just cannot do it anything like the Grand Master does it.
RGC]

James Hogg

Richard Chambers Leeds UK.

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 20, 2009, 7:31:43 AM11/20/09
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:08:13 -0000, "Richard Chambers"
<richard.cham...@ntlworld.net> wrote:

<snip Wordsworthiana>

Anyone thinking of visiting Wordsworth Country should wait a while.
Ambleside and Cockermouth (his childhood town) are inaccessible as a
result of serious flooding.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Richard Chambers

Nov 20, 2009, 7:43:54 AM11/20/09
Peter Duncanson (BrE wrote

> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:08:13 -0000, "Richard Chambers"
> <richard.cham...@ntlworld.net> wrote:
>

> <snip Wordsworthiana>
>>
> Anyone thinking of visiting Wordsworth Country should wait a while.
> Ambleside and Cockermouth (his childhood town) are inaccessible as a
> result of serious flooding.

You escaped by a hair's breadth from having a small section devoted to your
postings. In the very serious circumstances in the Lake District, I decided
that it would be in bad taste to do so, and I sadly had to leave you out. If
I had done so, I would have written something similar to the above, and
would have included the following link:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Richard Chambers Leeds UK.

James Hogg

Nov 20, 2009, 7:59:16 AM11/20/09
Richard Chambers wrote:
> I wander'd lonely as a hang-glider That floats on high o'er vales and
> hills When all at once my rip-cord broke
>
> etc [I'm sorry, I just cannot do it anything like the Grand Master
> does it. RGC]
>
> James Hogg --------------------------------------------------

I am disappointed in you. To keep up the high standard of this satire, I
demand that you parody me with a long, boring dissertation on the
etymology of "daffodil" (with Old Norse cognates) and the oldest OED
example of the word "dingleberry".

--
Squashily,
James Hogg

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 20, 2009, 8:27:29 AM11/20/09
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:43:54 -0000, "Richard Chambers"
<richard.cham...@ntlworld.net> wrote:

>Peter Duncanson (BrE wrote
>
>> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:08:13 -0000, "Richard Chambers"
>> <richard.cham...@ntlworld.net> wrote:
>>

>> <snip Wordsworthiana>
>>>
>> Anyone thinking of visiting Wordsworth Country should wait a while.
>> Ambleside and Cockermouth (his childhood town) are inaccessible as a
>> result of serious flooding.
>
>You escaped by a hair's breadth from having a small section devoted to your
>postings. In the very serious circumstances in the Lake District, I decided
>that it would be in bad taste to do so, and I sadly had to leave you out. If
>I had done so, I would have written something similar to the above, and
>would have included the following link:-
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/

The local "media outlet" is:
http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/

Peter Moylan

Nov 20, 2009, 9:05:04 AM11/20/09
Richard Chambers wrote:
> I wander'd lonely as a cloud

I wandered lonely as a clod
Among the rags and broken bottles
When all at once I came upon
A host of slimy axolotls.

Beside the lake, beneath the trees

Enough to make a man's blood freeze.

[Mad Magazine, IIRC]

Of course, this thread will not be complete until someone has written
a Daffodiliad.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Richard Chambers

Nov 20, 2009, 9:45:04 AM11/20/09
Peter Moylan wrote

> Richard Chambers wrote:
>> I wander'd lonely as a cloud
>
> I wandered lonely as a clod
> Among the rags and broken bottles
> When all at once I came upon
> A host of slimy axolotls.
> Beside the lake, beneath the trees
> Enough to make a man's blood freeze.
>
> [Mad Magazine, IIRC]
>
> Of course, this thread will not be complete until someone has written
> a Daffodiliad.

Beyond my capability. I must now throw this thread open to anybody who wants
to have a go at anybody else. In this atmosphere that I have created, nobody
should feel safe. I expect the arena to include a Daffodiliad, if there is
anybody with the required poetic skills. I know that our newly-appointed
Laureate can do it, but he is excused (unless he wants to do another one)
because he has done one recently on the burger bars on the A65 between Leeds
and the Lake District.

Richard Chambers Leeds UK.

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 20, 2009, 2:41:54 PM11/20/09
Richard Chambers wrote:
[...]

> Steve"Asshole limp-dick fuck-pig brothel-keeper" Hayes wrote
>> LFS wrote
>>> William Wordsworth wrote

>>> I suggest an Amblesideboink
>
>> What good luck [... ]
>
> That's bad luck for Laura, ASSHOLE! Wipe your bottom when you go to
> the toilet, cretin! What makes you think that she would want to put up
> with doafgrimml buggldompf like you, ASSHOLE cretin? It would really
> spoil the weekend for her if that whining hypocrite granny-fucker Eric
> shit-hole Walker also decides to go. He should stick his pedantic
> little finger up his shitty arse. And that penche pendejo limp-dick.
>
> Reinhold "Rey" Aman

My God, what an *embarrassingly amateurish* "parody" by Richard
Chambers, that _pinche pendejo_ who bitched about my "gratuitous,
ill-bred and boorish rudeness."

Better not quit your day job, Dickie. A witty James Hogg you ain't.
And do check the expiration date of your medicines. Poor chap. I
really am embarrassed for you.

Most cordially up yours,

~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~

Richard Chambers

Nov 20, 2009, 6:17:24 PM11/20/09
Richard Chambers wrote

> William Wordsworth wrote
>
>> I wander'd lonely as a cloud

>> That floats on high o'er vales and hills, [ ... ]
>
> I wander'd lonely as a hang-glider
> That floats on high o'er vales and hills
> When all at once my rip-cord broke
>
> etc [I'm sorry, I just cannot do it anything like the Grand Master does
> it. RGC]
>
> James Hogg

I wander'd lonely as a hang glider

That floats on high o'er vales and hills

When all at once my rip-cord broke,
Frayed, and sad, and old.
Beside my mind, below the sail,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze,

Dangerous as the rocks below
The fast descent ensued
My thoughts they stretch'd in never-ending line,
All down the margin of my way
Ten thousand deaths I liv'd
As downwards quick I div'd

The best I can do. If you want any better than that, ask our resident
Laureate who is much better at this sort of thing. He might even get the
meter right.

Richard Chambers Leeds UK.

Robert Bannister

Nov 20, 2009, 8:12:54 PM11/20/09

with maps showing the distribution around the North Pole.

--

Rob Bannister

James Hogg

Nov 21, 2009, 3:39:11 AM11/21/09

Dingleberries tend to be distributed around the South Pole.

--
James

Mike Lyle

Nov 22, 2009, 4:56:25 PM11/22/09

"Peter Duncanson (BrE)" <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote in message

> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:08:13 -0000, "Richard Chambers"
> <richard.cham...@ntlworld.net> wrote:
>

> <snip Wordsworthiana>
>>
> Anyone thinking of visiting Wordsworth Country should wait a while.
> Ambleside and Cockermouth (his childhood town) are inaccessible as a
> result of serious flooding.

You didn't sign it. Allow me.

Philip Eden.

But he might have added some more, perhaps along the lines of-

Similar conditions in Dumfries and Galloway have largely escaped notice
by the local people, who are still blind drunk after beating Australia
at Murrayfield. The week to come is also likely to see flooding in
Bangladesh and persistent showers, many of them heavy, in the Amazon
Basin. The Azores are on a weird high, as usual. Not even
narrowly-spaced isobars are likely to blow Iceland's SAD blues away, and
conditions should soon be ideal for setting fire to Australia for
Christmas. The Emir of Dubai's 5,000 metre artificial mountain is now
complete, and the snow machines have produced 300 millimetres of dry
powder on the principal slopes.

Richard Chambers

Nov 22, 2009, 7:54:33 PM11/22/09

LFS wrote
> William Wordsworth wrote
>
>> I wander'd lonely as a cloud
>> That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
>
> I suggest an Amblesideboink. Anybody interested for the weekend of April
> 26? The daffodils should be in full bloom by then.
>
> LFS

I believe that you will find that April 26 will be a little late for the
daffodils to be at their best. Due to global warming, the daffodils are
blooming, then declining, up to 3 weeks earlier than they did 30 years ago.
www.united_nations.org/catastrophes/global_warming/botany/UK/daffodils

According to the Ambleside Mercury, daffodils in that part of the Lake
District reached their best on April 7 in 2007, with no figures available
for 2008.
www.ambleside_mercury.co.uk/News/local/spring_stories/daffodils

If you intend your boink to visit Keswick, which is a few miles further
north, you may well find the daffodil season is two days delayed relative to
Ambleside. At least, that is my interpretation, based on the news report in
the Keswick Gazette for 2005, with no information available for 2006, 2007
and 2008. Because of the lack of available information, you need to be
cautious how you interpret the situation at Keswick. But here is the link,
so that you can judge for yourself:-
www.keswick_gazette/local_news/April2005/daffodils

Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

William Wordsworth wrote

> I wander'd lonely as a cloud
> That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

Regard the titular, is there nice differ from "People I have virtually met"
to "People I have met virtually"? I learn second. Why first use? Does place
of virtually in sentence make differ to mean?

I have photographs. Why you met daffodils?

I learn English and thank.

Kweng Ya Deng.
South Korea

LFS wrote
> William Wordsworth wrote
>
>> I wander'd lonely as a cloud
>> That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
>

> I suggest an Amblesideboink. [...]

Brrr! No thanks, not this time. Far too cold at that time of year,
irrespective of whether it is on
the weekend of 26 April, or 3 weeks earlier. If I came out of the 22C
environment of my house into the average temperature you might expect in
April for the Lake District, I would perish. I won't be able to come this
time, I'm afraid. My best regards to everybody who does brave it up to the
Lake District.

Robin
BrE
Herts, England

Robin Bignall wrote

> LFS wrote
>> William Wordsworth wrote
>
>>> I wander'd lonely as a cloud
>>> That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
>

>> I suggest an Amblesideboink. [...]

> Brrr! Far too cold at that time of year, [...] ...22C... [...]

I would wilt at that sort of temperature. :-( Far too warm for me.
I am much happier :-) with my wood stove in my underground house made of
reinforced concrete. :-) . I set the temperature to 55F, and that is all I
need. :-) . All I need for lighting for the entire house is a 60 Watt
anglepoise positioned over my left shoulder to illuminate my books, of which
I read three a day. Absolute heaven. :-) Well, perhaps I am exaggerating
;-) a bit, because I do have another 60W lightbulb in my kitchen that I do
switch on from time to time when I want to fry myself an egg with waffle and
maple syrup. :-)

But the insurance company is forcing me to get rid of the wood stove,
because they say it is a fire risk. Surprise to me :-() in a house that is
made of reinforced concrete. But I suppose that I shall have to work out
:-| what to do about it. :-|

Erilar, biblioholic

bib-li-o-hol-ism [<Gr biblion] n. [BIBLIO + HOLISM] books, of books:
habitual longing to purchase, read, store, admire, and consume books in
excess.

http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo

Kweng Ya Deng wrote
> William Wordsworth wrote

>> I wander'd lonely as a cloud
>> That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

> Regard the titular, is there nice differ from "People I have virtually
> met"
> to "People I have met virtually"? I learn second. Why first use? Does
> place
> of virtually in sentence make differ to mean?
------
I hope you do not mind me correcting your English, but presumably to learn
English is one of the reasons why you have visited alt.usage.english . What
you have written above contains a number of syntactical mistakes. That is,
you are using sensible words, but when these words are put together into
your sentence, it is difficult for the reader to understand exactly what you
mean. I think you may have found "titular" in a Korean/English dictionary.
Did the same definition also list "title"?, because that is what I think you
mean. Where you have written "Regard", I think you really mean "Regarding".
Similarly, "nice" should be replaced by "subtle". You would not use "nice"
in your context, because (as well as "subtle"), "nice" more usually means
"pleasant". So, if you mean "subtle", do not use "nice" here. Furthermore,
"differ" is nearly right, but you should have written "difference". Lastly,
we do not have in English "difference from XXX to YYY"; instead, you should
use "difference between XXX and YYY".

So, finally, the first sentence becomes "Regarding the title, is there a
subtle difference [of meaning] between <People I have met virtually> and
<People I have virtually met>?".

The second sentence is almost right. Well done! I would replace it by "I was
taught the second version".

The third sentence is also nearly right. I would make it more specific by
asking "Why did Mr Wordsworth use the first of these two versions of the
title?"

Your last sentence caused me some difficulty of comprehension on the first
reading, but all that is really required is a quick repair job. I think what
you really mean is:- "Does the position of the adverb "virtually", either
before or after the verb "met", make a difference to the meaning of the
sentence?".

Summarising, I think the question you are asking us is:-

"Regarding the title, is there a subtle difference of meaning between
<People I have met virtually> and <People I have virtually met>? I was
taught the second version. So why did Mr Wordsworth use the first of these
two versions of the title? Does the position of the adverb "virtually",
either before or after the verb "met", make a difference to the meaning of
the sentence?".

Is that right? Is that what you are trying to ask us?
------
> I have photographs. Why you met daffodils?
------
I have read and re-read this question several times, but I am afraid that I
still do not know what you mean. Do you think you could re-word it, and I
shall have another go at understanding what you are asking.
------
> I learn English and thank.
------
"I am learning English. Thank you for your attention".

My pleasure.

Cordially
Eric Walker.

Peter Moylan

Nov 22, 2009, 9:20:46 PM11/22/09

Australia's already on fire. We're having an early Christmas. Except for
Melbourne, which decided to have a flood in sympathy with the UK.

Peter Moylan

Nov 22, 2009, 9:26:47 PM11/22/09
Richard Chambers wrote:

[much gesnipt]

Is this a new draft of the FAQ, or simply a new entry in the "letter to
Sis" stakes?

Mike Lyle

Nov 23, 2009, 9:23:07 AM11/23/09
Peter Moylan wrote:
> Richard Chambers wrote:
>
> [much gesnipt]
>
> Is this a new draft of the FAQ, or simply a new entry in the "letter
> to Sis" stakes?

Neither. It's the new green energy-saving a.u.e. With Richard doing the
lot, nobody else needs to waste the planet's irreplaceable resources and
contribute to global warming by posting or by taking more than five
minutes to read.

"AUE: linguistic precisians unanimous in a vigorous opposition to
anthropogenic meteorological alteration."

--
Mike.

Robert Bannister

Nov 24, 2009, 8:55:49 PM11/24/09

More worrying is that the jacarandas have already bloomed.

--

Rob Bannister

Peter Moylan

Nov 24, 2009, 9:24:30 PM11/24/09

I've just taken a look out the window. The nearest jacaranda is bare,
having already dropped its flowers. It's autumn already.

Some time ago I was reading an article that said that some plant species
could go extinct because of this sort of thing. The pollinating insects
have to turn up at the right time, and so on. This "seasons arriving
early" change, which I think is happening all around the world, could
cause the relevant species to get out of synchronism.

Hmm, I've just realised that I don't recall seeing a coral flame tree
flowering this year. That's not normally something one would miss noticing.

John Varela

Nov 25, 2009, 12:49:56 PM11/25/09
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 02:24:30 UTC, Peter Moylan <gro.nalyomp@retep>
wrote:

> Some time ago I was reading an article that said that some plant species
> could go extinct because of this sort of thing. The pollinating insects
> have to turn up at the right time, and so on. This "seasons arriving
> early" change, which I think is happening all around the world, could
> cause the relevant species to get out of synchronism.
>
> Hmm, I've just realised that I don't recall seeing a coral flame tree
> flowering this year. That's not normally something one would miss noticing.

And it must be spring in Virginia because I just brought in a
blossom from a confused rhododendron.

--
John Varela
Trade NEWlamps for OLDlamps for email

Chuck Riggs

Nov 26, 2009, 9:55:31 AM11/26/09
On 25 Nov 2009 17:49:56 GMT, "John Varela" <OLDl...@verizon.net>
wrote:

Beautiful blossoms, aren't they? Rhododendron and azalea bushes were
all around my house in Kensington, Maryland.
--

Regards,

Chuck Riggs,
An American who lives near Dublin, Ireland and usually spells in BrE

Sara Lorimer

Nov 26, 2009, 10:51:54 AM11/26/09
+ sprightly is our natural state

heron

LFS

Nov 26, 2009, 11:07:12 AM11/26/09
Sara Lorimer wrote:
> + sprightly is our natural state
>

> heron

You left out the bit about meeting in the bookshop.

Sara Lorimer

Nov 29, 2009, 8:22:19 PM11/29/09
LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

> Sara Lorimer wrote:
> > + sprightly is our natural state
> >

> > heron
>
> You left out the bit about meeting in the bookshop.

I tried to find it, but the Google search was driving me insane and I
gave up.

--
SML