Egg cups

LFS

Nov 15, 2009, 9:46:45 AM11/15/09
Are there egg cups in the US?
Do Leftpondians know about soldiers?
(I'm a bit bored with cucumber sandwiches).

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

Jerry Friedman

Nov 15, 2009, 9:53:40 AM11/15/09
On Nov 15, 7:46 am, LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
> Are there egg cups in the US?

Yes. My impression is that they're not used much these days.

> Do Leftpondians know about soldiers?

Only as an exotic foreign custom.

> (I'm a bit bored with cucumber sandwiches).

Hard to imagine.

--
Jerry Friedman
Over easy, please.

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 15, 2009, 10:12:36 AM11/15/09
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 06:53:40 -0800, Jerry Friedman wrote:

> On Nov 15, 7:46 am, LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>> Are there egg cups in the US?
>
> Yes. My impression is that they're not used much these days.

They always seemed exotic to me as a child, since we didn't eat soft-
boiled eggs in my house. Not exotic as in foreign, mind you -- the were
a regular feature in breakfast scenes on American TV programs. Exotic as
in one of the things that those perfect TV families had and did that we
didn't.

I like soft-boiled eggs now, but I wouldn't begin to know how to eat one
in an egg cup.

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
... comparable to being ruler of an exceptionally small duchy.
--Newark (NJ) Star Ledger ( http://tinyurl.com/RolandIsNJ )

the Omrud

Nov 15, 2009, 10:16:37 AM11/15/09
LFS wrote:
> Are there egg cups in the US?
> Do Leftpondians know about soldiers?
> (I'm a bit bored with cucumber sandwiches).

Wrong time of the year for cucumbers, but the root crops and aliums are
doing very well.

I have just been replanting the rest of the leeks. I seem to have
generated about 60 leeklets; they grow rather large so I have separated
them and planted them about 6" apart. This has used up nearly half of
my vegetable plot; I may have to dig up some more of the lawn. The
first of the carrots and parsnips are now lifted and in the kitchen, and
I've put in some garlic and onions for next year.

--
David

the Omrud

Nov 15, 2009, 10:18:05 AM11/15/09
Roland Hutchinson wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 06:53:40 -0800, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>
>> On Nov 15, 7:46 am, LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Are there egg cups in the US?
>> Yes. My impression is that they're not used much these days.
>
> They always seemed exotic to me as a child, since we didn't eat soft-
> boiled eggs in my house. Not exotic as in foreign, mind you -- the were
> a regular feature in breakfast scenes on American TV programs. Exotic as
> in one of the things that those perfect TV families had and did that we
> didn't.
>
> I like soft-boiled eggs now, but I wouldn't begin to know how to eat one
> in an egg cup.

"From an egg cup", I think, rather than "in an egg cup".

--
David

tony cooper

Nov 15, 2009, 10:33:58 AM11/15/09
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:46:45 +0000, LFS
<la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

>Are there egg cups in the US?
>Do Leftpondians know about soldiers?
>(I'm a bit bored with cucumber sandwiches).

Yes, but I don't think that soft-boiled eggs are found on many US
breakfast tables. We have a pair of egg cups somewhere, but I don't
see them in the cabinet where the other dishes are. I can't remember
when my wife last used them. I suppose that if I made a request,
she'd scare up the cups and prepare soft-boiled eggs.

We purchased our egg cups in London at an antique store, by the way.
I can't think of the area, but it was a large building that housed a
number of antique dealers mostly specializing in sterling silver. The
egg cups are china, though.

The term "soldiers", in toast context, has never been used in the US
in my hearing. I know what you mean, though. When I order
eggs-over-light in a restaurant, I'll dip the toast ends in the egg
yolk. Toast in restaurants here is usually served cut diagonally to
make triangles.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Cheryl

Nov 15, 2009, 11:42:51 AM11/15/09
LFS wrote:
> Are there egg cups in the US?
> Do Leftpondians know about soldiers?
> (I'm a bit bored with cucumber sandwiches).

There are, or were, in Canada, because boiled eggs in egg cups were a
regular feature of breakfast in my childhood. I hadn't realized until
you asked about egg cups that I don't think I own any today, having long
since gone over to less healthy (or healthful) ways of preparing eggs.

I only know 'soldiers' in this context because I read English books in
which they were mentioned.

--
Cheryl

Don Phillipson

Nov 15, 2009, 11:36:31 AM11/15/09

"Jerry Friedman" <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Yes. My impression is that they're not used much these days.

This may have to do with microwave ovens, now so
ubiquitous and convenient I'd guess many people now
prepare food with nothing else, e.g. no longer fry or boil
eggs. Aside from the variety of whole meals packaged
ready to heat in the microwave, newish plastic kitchen
gadgets promise to let us use the mw for such functions
as soft-poaching eggs.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

the Omrud

Nov 15, 2009, 12:22:16 PM11/15/09
Don Phillipson wrote:
> On Nov 15, 7:46 am, LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Are there egg cups in the US?
>
> "Jerry Friedman" <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> Yes. My impression is that they're not used much these days.
>
> This may have to do with microwave ovens, now so
> ubiquitous and convenient I'd guess many people now
> prepare food with nothing else, e.g. no longer fry or boil
> eggs.

Is that what people do? We cook very little in the microwave: a few
vegetables (mushrooms, peppers, courgettes, chopped leaks), but that's
all. We use it almost exclusively for reheating and defrosting. I
wouldn't dream of "cooking" meat in it. We used to use it for filleted
fish until we discovered the steamer.

--
David

James Hogg

Nov 15, 2009, 12:28:39 PM11/15/09

Likewise here: reheating and defrosting. Occasionally as a quick way to
bake potatoes.

--
James

R H Draney

Nov 15, 2009, 12:32:50 PM11/15/09
Don Phillipson filted:

A good 15 years before anyone I knew had a microwave oven, my grandmother used
to make me soft-boiled eggs in a contraption that looked like a miniature
fruit-canning kettle, and serve them in the same bowls she used for breakfast
cereal....r

--
A pessimist sees the glass as half empty.
An optometrist asks whether you see the glass

LFS

Nov 15, 2009, 12:48:21 PM11/15/09

I use it for my morning porridge and also for making meringues (tiny
amount of egg white mixed with icing sugar to a stiff paste, rolled into
small balls: they swell up magnificently and are bright white and very
crisp) and for making lemon curd (much quicker than on the hob). And I
have a very good bolognaise-type meat sauce recipe for the microwave.

James Hogg

Nov 15, 2009, 1:02:21 PM11/15/09

Yes, I forgot about the porridge my daughter used to microwave.

--
James

Mark Brader

Nov 15, 2009, 1:18:25 PM11/15/09
Laura Spira:

>> Are there egg cups in the US?

Tony Cooper:

> Yes, but I don't think that soft-boiled eggs are found on many US

> breakfast tables. We have a pair of egg cups somewhere...

> I can't remember when my wife last used them. I suppose that

> if I made a request, she'd scare up the cups and ...

Scare up. Is that Pondian? I don't remember seeing it in anything British.
--
Mark Brader (Douglas R.) Hofstadter's Law:
Toronto "It always takes longer than you expect, even

James Silverton

Nov 15, 2009, 1:23:50 PM11/15/09

I used to like soft-boiled eggs, eaten from an egg cup, when I was a
child in Britain and also as an adult in the US. In my 50s I gave them
up with a view to cholesterol reduction. However, in all that time I had
never heard of strips of toast (soldiers) used to eat them. I think I
first came across the term "soldier" in this sense about 10 years ago.

I don't need to be told that eggs "in moderation" are now allowed since
it seems that most blood cholesterol is made by the body but "If it
ain't broke, don't fix it" and I seldom eat eggs.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

tony cooper

Nov 15, 2009, 1:44:03 PM11/15/09
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:18:25 -0600, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>Laura Spira:
>>> Are there egg cups in the US?
>
>Tony Cooper:
>> Yes, but I don't think that soft-boiled eggs are found on many US
>> breakfast tables. We have a pair of egg cups somewhere...
>> I can't remember when my wife last used them. I suppose that
>> if I made a request, she'd scare up the cups and ...
>
>Scare up. Is that Pondian? I don't remember seeing it in anything British.

I used that term deliberately. I think we are obligated to drop in
terms and phrases occasionally that may not be universally understood
in order to further the conversation. If it passes without comment,
nothing's lost.

"Scare up" - meaning to find something we know can be found but we
don't know exactly where to find it - is a common enough expression in
the US even if not used by everyone. In addition to objects, it's
used to describe coming up with money: "I suppose I could scare up
enough to pay for that."

I don't have a clue about the origin. I doubt if the "scare" has
anything to with "frighten".

tony cooper

Nov 15, 2009, 1:45:41 PM11/15/09

My mother prepared soft-boiled eggs when I was a child. We dipped
graham crackers in the yolk, but did not call them "soldiers".

Jonathan Morton

Nov 15, 2009, 1:56:43 PM11/15/09
"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>Scare up. Is that Pondian? I don't remember seeing it in anything
>>British.
>
> I used that term deliberately. I think we are obligated to drop in
> terms and phrases occasionally that may not be universally understood
> in order to further the conversation. If it passes without comment,
> nothing's lost.
>
> "Scare up" - meaning to find something we know can be found but we
> don't know exactly where to find it - is a common enough expression in
> the US even if not used by everyone. In addition to objects, it's
> used to describe coming up with money: "I suppose I could scare up
> enough to pay for that."
>
> I don't have a clue about the origin. I doubt if the "scare" has
> anything to with "frighten".

Although, since the BrE equivalent is "rustle up", it might be.

Regards

Jonathan

the Omrud

Nov 15, 2009, 1:57:16 PM11/15/09

There it is again. The US obsession with adding sugar to food which
really shouldn't contain any, nor be garnished with it.

--
David

tony cooper

Nov 15, 2009, 2:38:03 PM11/15/09

I'm a little perplexed by this. Graham crackers are not saltines to
which sugar has been added. They should contain sugar if what you
want is the taste of graham cracker. They are not substitutes for
regular white crackers. We would not combine graham cracker with
soup, for example.

The history of the graham cracker:
------------------
Sylvester Graham, born in Connecticut in 1794, was always sickly,
small, and suffered from mental breakdowns. He believed a healthful
diet would mend his body and mind. By the late 1820s, Graham had
turned from foods he considered unhealthy, preferring unprocessed
foods, vegetables, and water to refined grains, meat, and alcohol.
Graham publicly denounced commercial bakeries, proclaiming their
products tainted. Instead, he suggested mothers return to the kitchen
and bake bread from whole meal wheat flour rather than purchase
inferior products made from refined white flour. Mid-nineteenth
century recipe books instructed housewives in testing for fresh Graham
flour and featured baked goods of Graham flour�griddle cakes, Graham
biscuits, and crackers. The graham cracker was only one such recipe,
which later was mass produced and sold by large bakeries, the kind of
bakery Graham would have denounced.

Graham crackers now contain whole wheat flour and other ingredients
such as sugar and shortening.

-----------------

Note the cross-thread use of "healthful".

Richard Chambers

Nov 15, 2009, 2:46:09 PM11/15/09
Jerry Friedman wrote

LFS had written, but 7 minutes beforehand

> Are there egg cups in the US?

Yes. My impression is that they're not used much these days.

> Do Leftpondians know about soldiers?

Only as an exotic foreign custom.

> (I'm a bit bored with cucumber sandwiches).

Hard to imagine.

---------------------------------------
Nevertheless, it is there for you to observe for yourself. Clear as
daylight. If you are using Outlook Express, please set your reader to
display all the posts in the order in which they were sent. Before Laura's
post, few posters wanted to write about anything other than cucumber
sandwiches. After her post at 14:46 British time, there was a brief period
of transition in which postings concerning cucumber sandwiches continued to
arrive. A mere two hours after Laura's post, egg cups were already
outnumbering cucumber sandwiches by 9 to 2 (as recorded during the
subsequent two-hour period 16:46 to 18:45). It had taken the posters a mere
two hours to discover that the discussion for the trendy set was going to
be, from this point on, egg cups. Only a few old-fashioned, out-of-date
posters were left stranded, still discussing cucumbers. Cucumbers are out,
and egg cups is now where all the clever money is. I predict a big week
ahead for egg cups.

Richard Chambers Leeds UK.

the Omrud

Nov 15, 2009, 3:11:08 PM11/15/09
tony cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:57:16 GMT, the Omrud
> <usenet...@gEXPUNGEmail.com> wrote:
>
>> tony cooper wrote:

>>> My mother prepared soft-boiled eggs when I was a child. We dipped
>>> graham crackers in the yolk, but did not call them "soldiers".
>> There it is again. The US obsession with adding sugar to food which
>> really shouldn't contain any, nor be garnished with it.
>
> I'm a little perplexed by this. Graham crackers are not saltines to
> which sugar has been added. They should contain sugar if what you
> want is the taste of graham cracker. They are not substitutes for
> regular white crackers. We would not combine graham cracker with
> soup, for example.

I wasn't clear. It's the egg which doesn't require the garnish of a
sugary cracker.

--
David

tsuidf

Nov 15, 2009, 3:21:31 PM11/15/09
On Nov 15, 4:12 pm, Roland Hutchinson <my.spamt...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I like soft-boiled eggs now, but I wouldn't begin to know how to eat one
> in an egg cup.

I'm trying to imagine any other way of eating one... and can't. Don't
they slide around? How do you keep them from escaping without burning
your fingers? Do tell!

cheers,
Stephanie in Brussels
where we definitely have egg cups

Donna Richoux

Nov 15, 2009, 3:25:03 PM11/15/09
Jonathan Morton <jonathan.mortonb...@btinternet.com> wrote:

The role of hunting dogs, I think? Scare up some game, rustle up some
game.

--
Best -- Donna Richoux

Cheryl

Nov 15, 2009, 3:37:25 PM11/15/09

I thought 'rustle up' derived from the activities of cattle rustlers. I
don't know where 'scare up' would come from; hunting dogs seem as good a
theory as any.

--
Cheryl

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 15, 2009, 3:38:01 PM11/15/09
the Omrud wrote:
[...]

> The first of the carrots and parsnips are now lifted and in the
> kitchen, and I've put in some garlic and onions for next year.

ObAUE: This is the second time within a week that you have used
"lifted" when referring to *pulling* carrots, parsnips, and other plants
out of the soil.

While American dictionaries (AHD + MW) define "to lift" also as "to
remove (plants) from the ground for transplanting" and "to take up (as a
root crop or transplants) from the ground," I have never heard an
American use "to lift" in this sense. Has anyone?

Brits lift, Yanks pull, no?

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~

Donna Richoux

Nov 15, 2009, 4:01:54 PM11/15/09
Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> wrote:

> Donna Richoux wrote:
> > Jonathan Morton <jonathan.mortonb...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> >> Although, since the BrE equivalent is "rustle up", it might be.
> >>
> > The role of hunting dogs, I think? Scare up some game, rustle up some
> > game.
>
> I thought 'rustle up' derived from the activities of cattle rustlers. I
> don't know where 'scare up' would come from; hunting dogs seem as good a
> theory as any.

MW, which lists meanings in historical order, says that the theft one is
the newest, coming after one meaning to obtain by one's own efforts.

I'm alarmed for the sake of my theory, however, to see that the first
hit at Google Books for "rustle up some game" is 1991, so that phrase
itself is very unlikely to the source of anything.

It's got "scare up some game" since 1866.

So when did "rustle up" start to appear... I can get some doubtful uses
in the 19th century, but they come thick and fast in the early 20th
century, almost all in outdoors-y Western writing. Examples:

1906 "I'll rustle up some grub ...

1908 We'll rustle up a stake by then

1909 Rustle up a keg of beer, will you?"

1912 Jim, you rustle up some dry fire-wood.

Now I wonder whether, if "rustle up" is routine in British households,
it's because of the years of Saturday matinees.

James Silverton

Nov 15, 2009, 4:02:38 PM11/15/09
tsuidf wrote on Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:21:31 -0800 (PST):

>> I like soft-boiled eggs now, but I wouldn't begin to know how
>> to eat one in an egg cup.

> I'm trying to imagine any other way of eating one... and
> can't. Don't they slide around? How do you keep them from
> escaping without burning your fingers? Do tell!

An egg cup allows you to cut the top off the egg and holds it quite
firmly to spoon out the egg. Of course, this introduces the alleged U,
non-U methods of removing the top. I used one quick slash with a knife
but others tap the shell and take the pieces away with their fingers.

Richard Chambers

Nov 15, 2009, 4:10:19 PM11/15/09
James Silverton wrote

>> I'm trying to imagine any other way of eating one... and
>> can't. Don't they slide around? How do you keep them from
>> escaping without burning your fingers? Do tell!
>
> An egg cup allows you to cut the top off the egg and holds it quite firmly
> to spoon out the egg. Of course, this introduces the alleged U, non-U
> methods of removing the top. I used one quick slash with a knife but
> others tap the shell and take the pieces away with their fingers.

There was war in Lilliput on this very question.

Richard Chambers Leeds UK.

James Silverton

Nov 15, 2009, 4:14:36 PM11/15/09

Nearly; wasn't it Little-endian v. Big-endian?

Nick

Nov 15, 2009, 5:04:51 PM11/15/09

I think it's a term of art in the vegetable gardening fraternity. I'd
say not say "lift" (probably "dug up", "up" or "out"), but I'm not a
gardener.
--
Online waterways route planner: http://canalplan.org.uk
development version: http://canalplan.eu

James Hogg

Nov 15, 2009, 5:13:09 PM11/15/09

Over here we yank the carrots out of the ground.

--
James

the Omrud

Nov 15, 2009, 5:29:59 PM11/15/09
Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
> the Omrud wrote:
> [...]
>> The first of the carrots and parsnips are now lifted and in the
>> kitchen, and I've put in some garlic and onions for next year.
>
> ObAUE: This is the second time within a week that you have used
> "lifted" when referring to *pulling* carrots, parsnips, and other plants

I suppose it's what my Dad says. It's not something I talk about much IRL.

> While American dictionaries (AHD + MW) define "to lift" also as "to
> remove (plants) from the ground for transplanting" and "to take up (as a
> root crop or transplants) from the ground," I have never heard an
> American use "to lift" in this sense. Has anyone?
>
> Brits lift, Yanks pull, no?

It could be.

--
David

the Omrud

Nov 15, 2009, 5:33:14 PM11/15/09

Were you to yank, you would break the tops and then have difficulty in
getting at the crop below.

"Lift" feels accurate because I put a large garden fork down the side of
the carrots and loosen the soil around them. Then I use the foliage to
lift the whole plant including the carrot out of the ground.

I don't say "lift" for potatoes, presumably because the harvesting
method is different. One doesn't always pick a whole plant's worth at
once. So potatoes are "dug up".

--
David

tony cooper

Nov 15, 2009, 5:43:13 PM11/15/09
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:11:08 GMT, the Omrud
<usenet...@gEXPUNGEmail.com> wrote:

I see. So the sugar-containing graham cracker at breakfast is, in
your opinion, an American obsession. Not to be confused, I take it,
with the English adding jam to breakfast toast.

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 15, 2009, 5:44:25 PM11/15/09
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:18:05 +0000, the Omrud wrote:

> Roland Hutchinson wrote:

>>> Yes. My impression is that they're not used much these days.
>>

>> They always seemed exotic to me as a child, since we didn't eat soft-
>> boiled eggs in my house. Not exotic as in foreign, mind you -- the
>> were a regular feature in breakfast scenes on American TV programs.
>> Exotic as in one of the things that those perfect TV families had and
>> did that we didn't.

>> I like soft-boiled eggs now, but I wouldn't begin to know how to eat
>> one in an egg cup.
>

> "From an egg cup", I think, rather than "in an egg cup".

Yes, on reflection: "eat one from an egg cup" or "eat one that has been
presented to me in an egg cup".

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
... comparable to being ruler of an exceptionally small duchy.
--Newark (NJ) Star Ledger ( http://tinyurl.com/RolandIsNJ )

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 15, 2009, 5:46:45 PM11/15/09
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:21:31 -0800, tsuidf wrote:

> On Nov 15, 4:12 pm, Roland Hutchinson <my.spamt...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> I like soft-boiled eggs now, but I wouldn't begin to know how to eat
>> one in an egg cup.
>
> I'm trying to imagine any other way of eating one... and can't. Don't
> they slide around? How do you keep them from escaping without burning
> your fingers? Do tell!

I open the shell at the big end, scoop it out with a spoon and either eat
as I scoop or more likely try to get the whole thing out in one go and
dump it onto a waiting piece of warm toast on a plate.

Django Cat

Nov 15, 2009, 5:51:03 PM11/15/09
James Hogg wrote:

> the Omrud wrote:

> > Don Phillipson wrote:

> >>"Jerry Friedman" <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > This may have to do with microwave ovens, now so ubiquitous and
> > > convenient I'd guess many people now prepare food with nothing
> > > else, e.g. no longer fry or boil eggs.
> >
> > Is that what people do? We cook very little in the microwave: a few
> > vegetables (mushrooms, peppers, courgettes, chopped leaks), but
> > that's all. We use it almost exclusively for reheating and
> > defrosting. I wouldn't dream of "cooking" meat in it. We used to
> > use it for filleted fish until we discovered the steamer.
>
> Likewise here: reheating and defrosting. Occasionally as a quick way
> to bake potatoes.

Ohh, no. To the extent that if baked potatos are on the menu in a caff
I ask if they've been baked - cripsy skin, fluffy inside - or
microwaved - basically damp and slimy.

But microwaves are great for lots of things. Dinner tonight was salmon
with asparagus, both semi-steamed in the microwave with all the flavour
sealed in, and served just in time for Dr Who.

DC

the Omrud

Nov 15, 2009, 5:52:18 PM11/15/09

Not, indeed. Eating a sugary Graham Cracker for breakfast is
unremarkable. But the English do not add jam to an egg. It's putting
the egg in contact with sugar which seems strange to me.

--
David

Jonathan Morton

Nov 15, 2009, 5:57:56 PM11/15/09
"Roland Hutchinson" <my.sp...@verizon.net> wrote in message

>>> I like soft-boiled eggs now, but I wouldn't begin to know how to eat
>>> one in an egg cup.
>>
>> "From an egg cup", I think, rather than "in an egg cup".
>
> Yes, on reflection: "eat one from an egg cup" or "eat one that has been
> presented to me in an egg cup".

What were you doing in an egg cup?

Regards

Jonathan

Wood Avens

Nov 15, 2009, 6:00:24 PM11/15/09

But we don't add jam to the toast which is dipped in (or in any other
way accompanies) the egg.

No, sweet biccies or crackers don't feature on the average
rightpondian breakfast table at all. Sweetened cereals or cereal bars
may, but that's another story.

--

Katy Jennison

spamtrap: remove the first two letters after the @

Evan Kirshenbaum

Nov 15, 2009, 6:30:16 PM11/15/09
the Omrud <usenet...@gEXPUNGEmail.com> writes:

> Don Phillipson wrote:

>> On Nov 15, 7:46 am, LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there egg cups in the US?

>> "Jerry Friedman" <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Yes. My impression is that they're not used much these days.
>> This may have to do with microwave ovens, now so ubiquitous and
>> convenient I'd guess many people now prepare food with nothing
>> else, e.g. no longer fry or boil eggs.
>
> Is that what people do? We cook very little in the microwave: a few
> vegetables (mushrooms, peppers, courgettes, chopped leaks), but
> that's all. We use it almost exclusively for reheating and
> defrosting. I wouldn't dream of "cooking" meat in it.

Pretty much the same here. Thawing and reheating. Heating up a few
things, like bao and pasties and the occasional individual frozen
pizza.

HP Laboratories |It does me no injury for my neighbor
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |to say there are twenty gods, or no
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |God.
| Thomas Jefferson
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Jerry Friedman

Nov 15, 2009, 6:47:40 PM11/15/09
On Nov 15, 12:38 pm, tony cooper <tony_cooper...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:57:16 GMT, the Omrud
>

> <usenet.om...@gEXPUNGEmail.com> wrote:
> >tony cooper wrote:

In combination with "the foods he considered unhealthy".

--
Jerry Friedman

tony cooper

Nov 15, 2009, 7:14:20 PM11/15/09
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 23:00:24 +0000, Wood Avens
<wood...@askjennison.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:43:13 -0500, tony cooper
><tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>>I wasn't clear. It's the egg which doesn't require the garnish of a
>>>sugary cracker.
>>
>>I see. So the sugar-containing graham cracker at breakfast is, in
>>your opinion, an American obsession. Not to be confused, I take it,
>>with the English adding jam to breakfast toast.
>
>But we don't add jam to the toast which is dipped in (or in any other
>way accompanies) the egg.

Are there mandatory pauses between bites of egg and bites of toast
with jam? Is the palate cleared?

>No, sweet biccies or crackers don't feature on the average
>rightpondian breakfast table at all.

Not in the UK, but in many European countries sweet rolls were
included with B&B breakfasts.

Peter Moylan

Nov 15, 2009, 7:50:29 PM11/15/09
Richard Chambers wrote:
> James Silverton wrote

>> An egg cup allows you to cut the top off the egg and holds it quite firmly
>> to spoon out the egg. Of course, this introduces the alleged U, non-U
>> methods of removing the top. I used one quick slash with a knife but
>> others tap the shell and take the pieces away with their fingers.
>
> There was war in Lilliput on this very question.

The war continues to be fought among computer designers.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Peter Moylan

Nov 15, 2009, 7:56:32 PM11/15/09
LFS wrote:
> Are there egg cups in the US? Do Leftpondians know about soldiers?
> (I'm a bit bored with cucumber sandwiches).

Laura, you've inspired me. Today's lunch will be cucumber sandwiches
dipped in egg-yolk.

Peter Moylan

Nov 15, 2009, 8:01:04 PM11/15/09
the Omrud wrote:

> I don't say "lift" for potatoes, presumably because the harvesting
> method is different. One doesn't always pick a whole plant's worth at
> once. So potatoes are "dug up".

No, no. The right way to harvest potatoes is to slide a hand underneath
the plant - this works best in sandy soil - and then grasp it firmly by
the testicles. This allows you to remove one meal's worth of potatoes,
while leaving the plant basically undisturbed with the not-yet-ready
potatoes left in the ground.

Peter Moylan

Nov 15, 2009, 8:08:07 PM11/15/09
James Silverton wrote:

> I used to like soft-boiled eggs, eaten from an egg cup, when I was a
> child in Britain and also as an adult in the US. In my 50s I gave
> them up with a view to cholesterol reduction.

I now eat lots of eggs, for a similar reason. There's been research to
show that eating many eggs helps to reduce one's blood cholesterol.

The potential inclusion of soldiers poses a bit of a dilemma. Bread is
good for my bowels but bad for my heart. What to do?

Unfortunately I've just discovered that there doesn't seem to be single
egg-cup in the house. Todays lunch might have to be poached eggs.

Skitt

Nov 15, 2009, 8:17:07 PM11/15/09
Django Cat wrote:
> James Hogg wrote:

[about microwaving]

>> Likewise here: reheating and defrosting. Occasionally as a quick way
>> to bake potatoes.
>
> Ohh, no. To the extent that if baked potatos are on the menu in a
> caff I ask if they've been baked - cripsy skin, fluffy inside - or
> microwaved - basically damp and slimy.

You are definitely doing something wrong. Microwave-baked potatoes are
never damp and slimy. It takes about seven minutes on high for a fairly
large potato, and then the potato should be let to stand for another few
minutes before serving.

<snip>
--
Skitt (AmE)

Robert Bannister

Nov 15, 2009, 9:03:35 PM11/15/09
Roland Hutchinson wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:21:31 -0800, tsuidf wrote:
>
>> On Nov 15, 4:12� pm, Roland Hutchinson <my.spamt...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I like soft-boiled eggs now, but I wouldn't begin to know how to eat
>>> one in an egg cup.
>> I'm trying to imagine any other way of eating one... and can't. Don't
>> they slide around? How do you keep them from escaping without burning
>> your fingers? Do tell!
>
> I open the shell at the big end, scoop it out with a spoon and either eat
> as I scoop or more likely try to get the whole thing out in one go and
> dump it onto a waiting piece of warm toast on a plate.

You didn't answer the question about burning fingers.

--

Rob Bannister

Robert Bannister

Nov 15, 2009, 9:07:47 PM11/15/09
tony cooper wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:46:45 +0000, LFS
> <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Are there egg cups in the US?
>> Do Leftpondians know about soldiers?
>> (I'm a bit bored with cucumber sandwiches).
>
> Yes, but I don't think that soft-boiled eggs are found on many US
> breakfast tables. We have a pair of egg cups somewhere, but I don't
> see them in the cabinet where the other dishes are. I can't remember
> when my wife last used them. I suppose that if I made a request,
> she'd scare up the cups and prepare soft-boiled eggs.

I can't remember when I last ate a soft-boiled egg. I only use my
eggcups when I make a pie as a centre to hold the pastry up, and even
then, it usually takes me 20 minutes to find one.

--

Rob Bannister

Robert Bannister

Nov 15, 2009, 9:11:30 PM11/15/09

I can't think of one European country that serves sweet rolls with egg.
In fact, apart from Russia, where I was served warm, hard-boiled eggs a
couple of times, I don't remember being served eggs at breakfast time at
all.

--

Rob Bannister

Sara Lorimer

Nov 15, 2009, 9:29:04 PM11/15/09
the Omrud <usenet...@gEXPUNGEmail.com> wrote:

> tony cooper wrote:

> > My mother prepared soft-boiled eggs when I was a child. We dipped
> > graham crackers in the yolk, but did not call them "soldiers".
>
> There it is again. The US obsession with adding sugar to food which
> really shouldn't contain any, nor be garnished with it.

I'm not sure this is a good example. I've never heard of it being done
before, and wonder if it's known outside of Tony's childhood home.

--
SML

Pat Durkin

Nov 15, 2009, 9:54:59 PM11/15/09
"Peter Moylan" <gro.nalyomp@retep> wrote in message

> the Omrud wrote:
>
>> I don't say "lift" for potatoes, presumably because the harvesting
>> method is different. One doesn't always pick a whole plant's worth
>> at once. So potatoes are "dug up".
>
> No, no. The right way to harvest potatoes is to slide a hand
> underneath the plant - this works best in sandy soil - and then
> grasp it firmly by the testicles. This allows you to remove one
> meal's worth of potatoes, while leaving the plant basically
> undisturbed with the not-yet-ready potatoes left in the ground.

Well, I think that would get a rise out of me!

Pat Durkin

Nov 15, 2009, 10:09:23 PM11/15/09
"James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.net> wrote in message

> tsuidf wrote on Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:21:31 -0800 (PST):
>
>>> I like soft-boiled eggs now, but I wouldn't begin to know how
>>> to eat one in an egg cup.
>
>> I'm trying to imagine any other way of eating one... and
>> can't. Don't they slide around? How do you keep them from
>> escaping without burning your fingers? Do tell!
>
> An egg cup allows you to cut the top off the egg and holds it quite
> firmly to spoon out the egg. Of course, this introduces the alleged
> U, non-U methods of removing the top. I used one quick slash with a
> knife but others tap the shell and take the pieces away with their
> fingers.

You were allowed to use a knife? We were required to use a sharp
crack of the spoon. And that was that. Such admonitions did nothing
to firm up my lack of confidence.
That was OK by me, of course. I still can't stand the thought of
putting down a clot of uncooked egg.

Pat Durkin

Nov 15, 2009, 10:16:16 PM11/15/09
"Skitt" <ski...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Doesn't that sound like those "baked potatoes" that are wrapped in
foil and baked to a fare-thee-well, then stored in a warming oven to
gather steam inside the foil? Those get pretty slimy, I think.

The waste! The waste! For some reason those restaurants buy the most
immense potatoes, and serve them up to individuals...a helping that
would keep a small family alive for a week!

tony cooper

Nov 15, 2009, 10:18:45 PM11/15/09

I didn't say they serve sweet rolls with eggs. I was responding to
the statement "No, sweet biccies or crackers don't feature on the

average rightpondian breakfast table at all."

These threads progress, you know.

Frank ess

Nov 15, 2009, 10:19:23 PM11/15/09

Peter Moylan wrote:
> LFS wrote:
>> Are there egg cups in the US? Do Leftpondians know about soldiers?
>> (I'm a bit bored with cucumber sandwiches).
>
> Laura, you've inspired me. Today's lunch will be cucumber sandwiches
> dipped in egg-yolk.

I don't use soft-boil in egg preparation since the salmonella-culture
nature of the format was revealed a few years back. When I did use
soft-boil, the eggs were opened and spooned onto warm, buttered toast
(buttereder was better) and knife-and-forked into submission.

--
Frank ess

tony cooper

Nov 15, 2009, 10:26:39 PM11/15/09

I have no idea if this was a practice in our house or if half of
Indianapolis was serving up the same. We didn't have "sleep-overs"
then. I don't recall ever eating breakfast at some friend's house
until I went off to college and went home with some college friends
for weekends.

Evan Kirshenbaum

Nov 15, 2009, 11:21:28 PM11/15/09
Peter Moylan <gro.nalyomp@retep> writes:

> James Silverton wrote:
>
>> I used to like soft-boiled eggs, eaten from an egg cup, when I was
>> a child in Britain and also as an adult in the US. In my 50s I gave
>> them up with a view to cholesterol reduction.
>
> I now eat lots of eggs, for a similar reason. There's been research
> to show that eating many eggs helps to reduce one's blood
> cholesterol.

But wouldn't eating lots of eggs increase your risk of encountering
the ones that don't?

(Seriously, that's how I read your "eating many eggs" at first.)

HP Laboratories |...as a mobile phone is analogous
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |to a Q-Tip -- yeah, it's something
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |you stick in your ear, but there
|all resemblance ends.
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com | Ross Howard
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Peter Moylan

Nov 15, 2009, 11:24:44 PM11/15/09

The whole point of baked potatoes, in my mind, is the beautifully
crunchy outside. The inside is less tasty, but there isn't a lot of
inside if you cut the potatoes small enough before baking.

How can you get that level of crispness in a microwave oven? If they're
not crisp, then I agree with DC that they're fit only to be thrown away.

LFS

Nov 15, 2009, 11:25:15 PM11/15/09
Richard Chambers wrote:
> Jerry Friedman wrote
>
> LFS had written, but 7 minutes beforehand

>> Are there egg cups in the US?
>
> Yes. My impression is that they're not used much these days.
>
>> Do Leftpondians know about soldiers?
>
> Only as an exotic foreign custom.

>> (I'm a bit bored with cucumber sandwiches).
>
> Hard to imagine.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Nevertheless, it is there for you to observe for yourself. Clear as
> daylight. If you are using Outlook Express, please set your reader to
> display all the posts in the order in which they were sent. Before Laura's
> post, few posters wanted to write about anything other than cucumber
> sandwiches. After her post at 14:46 British time, there was a brief period
> of transition in which postings concerning cucumber sandwiches continued to
> arrive. A mere two hours after Laura's post, egg cups were already
> outnumbering cucumber sandwiches by 9 to 2 (as recorded during the
> subsequent two-hour period 16:46 to 18:45). It had taken the posters a mere
> two hours to discover that the discussion for the trendy set was going to
> be, from this point on, egg cups. Only a few old-fashioned, out-of-date
> posters were left stranded, still discussing cucumbers. Cucumbers are out,
> and egg cups is now where all the clever money is. I predict a big week
> ahead for egg cups.

Reading this, I was about to congratulate myself on being a trendsetter
but a glance at the thread suggests that it may have been hijacked by
other vegetables.

(Note for Rightpondians: after last night's Dr Who I won't be eating
carrots for a while.)

The egg cup question was prompted by the entrepreneurial musings of
Rudolf, now based in Texas, where he lacks both egg cups and a.u.e.

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

LFS

Nov 15, 2009, 11:32:16 PM11/15/09
Donna Richoux wrote:
> Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> wrote:
>
>> Donna Richoux wrote:

>>> The role of hunting dogs, I think? Scare up some game, rustle up some
>>> game.
>> I thought 'rustle up' derived from the activities of cattle rustlers. I
>> don't know where 'scare up' would come from; hunting dogs seem as good a
>> theory as any.
>
> MW, which lists meanings in historical order, says that the theft one is
> the newest, coming after one meaning to obtain by one's own efforts.
>
> I'm alarmed for the sake of my theory, however, to see that the first
> hit at Google Books for "rustle up some game" is 1991, so that phrase
> itself is very unlikely to the source of anything.
>
> It's got "scare up some game" since 1866.
>
> So when did "rustle up" start to appear... I can get some doubtful uses
> in the 19th century, but they come thick and fast in the early 20th
> century, almost all in outdoors-y Western writing. Examples:
>
> 1906 "I'll rustle up some grub ...
>
> 1908 We'll rustle up a stake by then
>
> 1909 Rustle up a keg of beer, will you?"
>
> 1912 Jim, you rustle up some dry fire-wood.
>
> Now I wonder whether, if "rustle up" is routine in British households,
> it's because of the years of Saturday matinees.

I'm trying to think of other possible expressions that might have
entered British usage in a similar way but I can't.

"Rustle up" was a common expression in our family. My father's name was
Russell and the wordplay this generated was a source of continuing
amusement to him, along with other daftnesses like "I'd put the kettle
on but it doesn't fit me". I look back on years of being irritated and
embarrassed by them and would give anything to have him around now,
saying the same silly things.

LFS

Nov 15, 2009, 11:38:16 PM11/15/09
tony cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 23:00:24 +0000, Wood Avens
> <wood...@askjennison.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:43:13 -0500, tony cooper
>> <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> I see. So the sugar-containing graham cracker at breakfast is, in
>>> your opinion, an American obsession. Not to be confused, I take it,
>>> with the English adding jam to breakfast toast.
>> But we don't add jam to the toast which is dipped in (or in any other
>> way accompanies) the egg.
>
> Are there mandatory pauses between bites of egg and bites of toast
> with jam? Is the palate cleared?

You eat the egg and toast first and then more toast with marmalade.

>> No, sweet biccies or crackers don't feature on the average
>> rightpondian breakfast table at all.
>
> Not in the UK, but in many European countries sweet rolls were
> included with B&B breakfasts.

Indeed, and croissants etc are not uncommon on British breakfast tables
and in UK hotel breakfasts. But I very much doubt if you'd find anything
sweet, other than marmalade or jam, in the traditional English breakfast
served in a greasy spoon.

My recent experience of American breakfasts remains firmly fastened to
my hips but was worth it, although I marvelled at my fellow breakfasters
tendency to eat meat and eggs with pancakes and syrup.

Jerry Friedman

Nov 15, 2009, 11:42:19 PM11/15/09
On Nov 15, 12:46 pm, "Richard Chambers"

<richard.chambers7_NoSp...@ntlworld.net> wrote:
> Jerry Friedman wrote
>
>  LFS  had written, but 7 minutes beforehand
>
> > Are there egg cups in the US?
>
> Yes.  My impression is that they're not used much these days.
>
> > Do Leftpondians know about soldiers?
>
> Only as an exotic foreign custom.
>
> > (I'm a bit bored with cucumber sandwiches).
>
> Hard to imagine.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Nevertheless, it is there for you to observe for yourself. Clear as
> daylight. If you are using Outlook Express,

If I were, you would have gotten greater-than signs before my part of
the post. I apologize for the problem and might do something about it
someday.

> please set your reader to
> display all the posts in the order in which they were sent. Before Laura's
> post, few posters wanted to write about anything other than cucumber
> sandwiches. After her post at 14:46  British time, there was a brief period
> of transition in which postings concerning cucumber sandwiches continued to
> arrive. A mere two hours after Laura's post, egg cups were already
> outnumbering cucumber sandwiches by  9 to 2 (as recorded during the
> subsequent two-hour period 16:46 to 18:45). It had taken the posters a mere
> two hours to discover that the discussion for the trendy set was going to
> be, from this point on, egg cups. Only a few old-fashioned, out-of-date
> posters were left stranded, still discussing cucumbers. Cucumbers are out,
> and egg cups is now where all the clever money is. I predict a big week
> ahead for egg cups.

You forgot the URL of the Web site where you tout your other
predictions. I've never gotten far enough on those sites to have the
opportunity to pay, but I'm sure it's there.

--
Jerry Friedman

Evan Kirshenbaum

Nov 16, 2009, 12:06:46 AM11/16/09
tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux) writes:

> I'm alarmed for the sake of my theory, however, to see that the first
> hit at Google Books for "rustle up some game" is 1991, so that phrase
> itself is very unlikely to the source of anything.
>
> It's got "scare up some game" since 1866.
>
> So when did "rustle up" start to appear... I can get some doubtful uses
> in the 19th century, but they come thick and fast in the early 20th
> century, almost all in outdoors-y Western writing. Examples:

I see a bunch that don't look doubtful by the end of the century.
Here's a literal use that might shed some light on the metaphorical
sense:

A little boy was once required by his father in the winter time to
go out and get some would to make a fire. He said he could not
find the axe; it was covered up with the snow. Well, said the
father, can't you find some dry limbs somewhere? No, said the
boy. Well, said the father, can't you go out and rustle up the
snow and find some chips? Well, no, said the boy, you can't get
me to go to rustle up the snow; I might find a rattle-snake in
rustling up the snow. That boy's imagination was very vivid, to
be able conjure up [sic] a rattle-snake nestling beneath the
snow.

_Proceedings of the High Court of
Impeachment, in the Case of the People of
the State of Tennessee vs. Thomas
N. Frazier, Judge, etc._, May 30, 1867

So a notion of searching through something to find something you need
that might be hidden within.

The earliest pretty sure hit I see is

He requests us to subscribe to his paper, canvass the town and
rustle up other subscribers, and furnish his paper with
contributions from our "able pen".

_The Sazerac Lying Club_, 1878

In the next decade, I see

You rustle up some dry leaves and light stuff for kindling.

_Overland Monthly_, 10/1884

"Pick an armful of roasting-ears, and I 'll [sic] rustle up a
fire."

_The Century Magazine_, 1/1888

HP Laboratories |The great thing about Microsoft
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |dominating the world is that
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |there's no shortage of support
|opportunities.
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com | Sam Alvis
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Garrett Wollman

Nov 16, 2009, 12:18:55 AM11/16/09
In article <7mc39qF...@mid.individual.net>,
LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

>My recent experience of American breakfasts remains firmly fastened to
>my hips but was worth it, although I marvelled at my fellow breakfasters
>tendency to eat meat and eggs with pancakes and syrup.

Since you say "recent", I assume that the syrup in question was
probably caramel-colored "breakfast syrup", made from high-fructose
corn syrup. In which case, eww. But proper maple syrup would not be
a bad thing with breakfast links and hotcakes. (Sigh, can't have a
proper hot breakfast any more, on those few occasions when I actually
want one.)

(What's even more horrifying is that, even in proper mapley places,
chain hotels will usually serve that nasty stuff with their breakfast.
But those places often don't have any form of protein available at all
(aside from casein in the milk, which doesn't count), just lots and
lots of starch and sugar.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
wol...@bimajority.org| repeated, than the story of a large research program

tony cooper

Nov 16, 2009, 12:49:49 AM11/16/09

I shouldn't even be commenting about breakfast. I rarely eat anything
before noon. Sometimes, when traveling, I'll have a light breakfast
because I need the coffee and feel that I should order something with
it.

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 16, 2009, 12:58:04 AM11/16/09
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 22:57:56 +0000, Jonathan Morton wrote:

> "Roland Hutchinson" <my.sp...@verizon.net> wrote in message

>>> "From an egg cup", I think, rather than "in an egg cup".
>>
>> Yes, on reflection: "eat one from an egg cup" or "eat one that has been
>> presented to me in an egg cup".
>
> What were you doing in an egg cup?

The backstroke.[1]

[1] Thank you very much; I'll be here all week.

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
... comparable to being ruler of an exceptionally small duchy.
--Newark (NJ) Star Ledger ( http://tinyurl.com/RolandIsNJ )

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 16, 2009, 12:59:56 AM11/16/09
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:03:35 +0800, Robert Bannister wrote:

> Roland Hutchinson wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:21:31 -0800, tsuidf wrote:

>>> I'm trying to imagine any other way of eating one... and can't. Don't
>>> they slide around? How do you keep them from escaping without burning
>>> your fingers? Do tell!
>>
>> I open the shell at the big end, scoop it out with a spoon and either
>> eat as I scoop or more likely try to get the whole thing out in one go
>> and dump it onto a waiting piece of warm toast on a plate.
>>

> You didn't answer the question about burning fingers.

Pour cold water into the pan when the eggs are done to your taste; wait a
short time before handling. It has never been a problem.

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 16, 2009, 1:05:17 AM11/16/09
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 22:52:18 +0000, the Omrud wrote:

> tony cooper wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:11:08 GMT, the Omrud
>> <usenet...@gEXPUNGEmail.com> wrote:

>>> I wasn't clear. It's the egg which doesn't require the garnish of a
>>> sugary cracker.
>>
>> I see. So the sugar-containing graham cracker at breakfast is, in your
>> opinion, an American obsession. Not to be confused, I take it, with
>> the English adding jam to breakfast toast.
>

> Not, indeed. Eating a sugary Graham Cracker for breakfast is
> unremarkable. But the English do not add jam to an egg. It's putting
> the egg in contact with sugar which seems strange to me.

No wonder your cakes are heavy.

Jerry Friedman

Nov 16, 2009, 1:39:53 AM11/16/09
On Nov 15, 9:32 pm, LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
> Donna Richoux wrote:

> > Cheryl <cperk...@mun.ca> wrote:

"Cowboy" in the sense of "unscrupulous" or whatever?

--
Jerry Friedman

R H Draney

Nov 16, 2009, 1:42:34 AM11/16/09
Pat Durkin filted:

>The waste! The waste! For some reason those restaurants buy the most
>immense potatoes, and serve them up to individuals...a helping that
>would keep a small family alive for a week!

Hah!...just about a year ago, I bought a single russet at a store that was
selling them by the "each" for sixty-nine cents...since they don't bother
weighing them under that arrangment, I popped it onto my postal scale when I got
home and found that it weighed in at an even twenty-seven ounces (765 grams for
the SI crowd)....

Never seen one that size in a restaurant...it hung off both sides of the dinner
plate I served it on....r

--
A pessimist sees the glass as half empty.
An optometrist asks whether you see the glass
more full like this?...or like this?

Jerry Friedman

Nov 16, 2009, 1:43:15 AM11/16/09
On Nov 15, 1:25 pm, t...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux) wrote:
> Jonathan Morton <jonathan.mortonbutignorethisp...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > "tony cooper" <tony_cooper...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> > > I used that term deliberately.  I think we are obligated to drop in
> > > terms and phrases occasionally that may not be universally understood
> > > in order to further the conversation.  If it passes without comment,
> > > nothing's lost.

> > > "Scare up" - meaning to find something we know can be found but we
> > > don't know exactly where to find it - is a common enough expression in
> > > the US even if not used by everyone.  In addition to objects, it's
> > > used to describe coming up with money:  "I suppose I could scare up
> > > enough to pay for that."
>
> > > I don't have a clue about the origin.  I doubt if the "scare" has
> > > anything to with "frighten".
>
> > Although, since the BrE equivalent is "rustle up", it might be.
>
> The role of hunting dogs, I think? Scare up some game, rustle up some
> game.

People without dogs can scare up game, too.

Oddly enough, though the phrase comes to my mind while I'm
birdwatching, when it would be literally true, it sounds odd to me
then and I avoid it. "We could, uh, flush some quail."

--
Jerry Friedman

R H Draney

Nov 16, 2009, 1:44:20 AM11/16/09
Django Cat filted:

>But microwaves are great for lots of things. Dinner tonight was salmon
>with asparagus, both semi-steamed in the microwave with all the flavour
>sealed in, and served just in time for Dr Who.

I've heard of saving a place for Elijah, but that's just silly....r

Wood Avens

Nov 16, 2009, 3:37:21 AM11/16/09
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 04:25:15 +0000, LFS
<la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

>(Note for Rightpondians: after last night's Dr Who I won't be eating
>carrots for a while.)

I found myself wondering how many children would now be balking at
baths or showers.

--

Katy Jennison

spamtrap: remove the first two letters after the @

LFS

Nov 16, 2009, 4:09:47 AM11/16/09

That makes no sense - the cowboys were always the heroes.

LFS

Nov 16, 2009, 4:11:42 AM11/16/09
R H Draney wrote:
> Django Cat filted:
>> But microwaves are great for lots of things. Dinner tonight was salmon
>> with asparagus, both semi-steamed in the microwave with all the flavour
>> sealed in, and served just in time for Dr Who.
>
> I've heard of saving a place for Elijah, but that's just silly....r

That won't mean much to many aue readers but it gave this one a
much-needed laugh.

LFS

Nov 16, 2009, 4:15:32 AM11/16/09
Wood Avens wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 04:25:15 +0000, LFS
> <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> (Note for Rightpondians: after last night's Dr Who I won't be eating
>> carrots for a while.)
>
> I found myself wondering how many children would now be balking at
> baths or showers.

I'm struggling to see how that very dark episode could be at all
suitable for children.

the Omrud

Nov 16, 2009, 4:18:42 AM11/16/09
R H Draney wrote:
> Pat Durkin filted:
>> The waste! The waste! For some reason those restaurants buy the most
>> immense potatoes, and serve them up to individuals...a helping that
>> would keep a small family alive for a week!
>
> Hah!...just about a year ago, I bought a single russet at a store that was
> selling them by the "each" for sixty-nine cents...since they don't bother
> weighing them under that arrangment, I popped it onto my postal scale when I got
> home and found that it weighed in at an even twenty-seven ounces (765 grams for
> the SI crowd)....

Out of curiosity, I recently weighed a reasonable portion of potatoes
for two people. We've always measured or weighed rice, pasta, etc, but
for decades we've guessed how many potatoes to cook and it's not always
easy when they are of such different sizes. 350 - 400 grams is a
reasonable portion for two.

--
David

the Omrud

Nov 16, 2009, 4:22:29 AM11/16/09
Peter Moylan wrote:
> Skitt wrote:
>> Django Cat wrote:
>>> James Hogg wrote:
>>
>> [about microwaving]
>>>
>>> Ohh, no. To the extent that if baked potatos are on the menu in a
>>> caff I ask if they've been baked - cripsy skin, fluffy inside - or
>>> microwaved - basically damp and slimy.
>>
>> You are definitely doing something wrong. Microwave-baked potatoes
>> are never damp and slimy. It takes about seven minutes on high for a
>> fairly large potato, and then the potato should be let to stand for
>> another few minutes before serving.
>
> The whole point of baked potatoes, in my mind, is the beautifully
> crunchy outside. The inside is less tasty, but there isn't a lot of
> inside if you cut the potatoes small enough before baking.

If you cut the potato, it can't be a baked potato to me. Are we
confused in terms here?

Baked Potato: cooked whole, in its skin, with no fat - I just put them
on a shelf in the oven. I smear the skin with a little oil to make it
properly crispy but that's not required.

Roast Potato: usually cut into chunks and cooked in fat in a pan in the
oven.

--
David

the Omrud

Nov 16, 2009, 4:24:00 AM11/16/09
LFS wrote:

> Reading this, I was about to congratulate myself on being a trendsetter
> but a glance at the thread suggests that it may have been hijacked by
> other vegetables.
>
> (Note for Rightpondians: after last night's Dr Who I won't be eating
> carrots for a while.)

But how do you feel about water?

And why didn't he drop them off in another time? Eh?

--
David

Peter Moylan

Nov 16, 2009, 5:55:29 AM11/16/09

Now that you mention it, I was aware of that distinction, but don't
usually think of it because I don't make it myself. I do my roasting
without fat. The meat will leak a little fat, but only barely enough to
make gravy and usually not enough to affect the vegetables in the
roasting dish. Thus, I get the same result whether I put the vegetables
in with the meat or just put them on a shelf.

What I had forgotten was that I do put a bit of vegetable oil on the
potatoes, whether cut or whole, in order to get the crisp result. Maybe
I should try the same thing in the microwave oven; the oil might indeed
be sufficient to give a good result.

Richard Chambers

Nov 16, 2009, 7:42:03 AM11/16/09
LFS wrote

You have no need to worry, Laura. Yes indeed, there was a surge in cucumbers
in the one-and-a-half hour period between 01:20 and 02:50 (British time),
just before you posted. During this time, there were 10 cucumbers to only 4
egg cups. However, this proved to be a short-lived phenomenon that could not
be sustained, and you should not have been still awake at 04:25 worrying
about it. You need to also remind yourself that the Lifting Turnips thread
is a side-shoot from your own mainstream venture. Furthermore, hot dogs and
onions has run out of steam and is now an also-ran, no longer a serious
threat to your undisputed status as main trend-setter.

Richard Chambers Leeds UK.

LFS

Nov 16, 2009, 8:15:57 AM11/16/09

<wipes sweat from brow> Phew! I feel greatly reassured by your analysis.
I rely on aue for all sorts of things, including repair to my
ontological security which occasionally gets damaged in the rough and
tumble of academic life.

James Silverton

Nov 16, 2009, 8:28:42 AM11/16/09
Peter wrote on Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:24:44 +1100:

> Skitt wrote:
>> Django Cat wrote:
>>> James Hogg wrote:
>>
>> [about microwaving]
>>>
>>> Ohh, no. To the extent that if baked potatos are on the
>>> menu in a caff I ask if they've been baked - cripsy skin,
>>> fluffy inside - or microwaved - basically damp and slimy.
>>
>> You are definitely doing something wrong. Microwave-baked
>> potatoes are never damp and slimy. It takes about seven
>> minutes on high for a fairly large potato, and then the
>> potato should be let to stand for another few minutes before serving.

> The whole point of baked potatoes, in my mind, is the
> beautifully crunchy outside. The inside is less tasty, but
> there isn't a lot of inside if you cut the potatoes small
> enough before baking.

> How can you get that level of crispness in a microwave oven?
> If they're not crisp, then I agree with DC that they're fit
> only to be thrown away.

You are quite correct but, if you want something a bit like a baked
potato in a hurry, nuke it. However, I agree that the crisp skin
obtained by conventional baking is highly desirable.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 16, 2009, 9:00:35 AM11/16/09
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 22:44:20 -0800, R H Draney wrote:

> Django Cat filted:
>>
>>But microwaves are great for lots of things. Dinner tonight was salmon
>>with asparagus, both semi-steamed in the microwave with all the flavour
>>sealed in, and served just in time for Dr Who.
>
> I've heard of saving a place for Elijah, but that's just silly....r

You never know. The Doctor might show up at any time.

CDB

Nov 16, 2009, 9:10:33 AM11/16/09
I wonder if that use of "rustle" isn't a form of "wrestle", with
particular connections to "struggle" or to the root meaning of the
word in "wrest". All the examples above would fit reasonably well
with those meanings, and I can substitute "wrestle up" in all of them
without doing damage to my ears, at least. The OEtymD entry for
"wrest" has: "Meaning "to pull, detach" (something) is recorded from
c.1300. Meaning "to take by force" (in ref. to power, authority, etc.)
is attested from 1426."

Garrett Wollman

Nov 16, 2009, 9:55:29 AM11/16/09
In article <hdqs8...@drn.newsguy.com>,
R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>Never seen [a potato] that size in a restaurant...it hung off both

>sides of the dinner plate I served it on....r

It probably got through the supply chain by mistake. Russet Burbanks
of that size are normally made into fries for McDonald's.

Donna Richoux

Nov 16, 2009, 10:03:22 AM11/16/09
Evan Kirshenbaum <kirsh...@hpl.hp.com> wrote:

I had thought about that one, but it seemed too far distant -- the boy
is not trying to *obtain* snow, the suggestion is to *move* the snow
(dig? scrape aside?) in order to obtain wood chips (and maybe the ax,
too) beneath. It would be nice if there were some other examples like it
but nobody else appears to have rustled snow or rustled up snow.

Why did you put "sic" after "conjure up"? Conjure up images, conjure up
spirits, conjure up ideas.

--
Best -- Donna Richoux

Donna Richoux

Nov 16, 2009, 10:03:22 AM11/16/09
LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

That was a topic I learned about long ago here. Long before the cowboys
of the American West (and the novels and films that romanticized them),
the term "cowboys" was used for a sort of terrorizing guerrilla group,
in the northeast of the American colonies.

It is my thought that the modern use of by Brits of "cowboys" in a
negative sense ("cowboy builders") may descend from the older use, not
the later one.

Chuck Riggs

Nov 16, 2009, 10:15:16 AM11/16/09
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:46:45 +0000, LFS
<la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

>Are there egg cups in the US?

Yes, loads of them.

>Do Leftpondians know about soldiers?

Very, very few do.

>(I'm a bit bored with cucumber sandwiches).

(Not me. In fact, I'm thinking of asking for a few of them for supper.
Who cares if I get odd looks?)
--

Regards,

Chuck Riggs,
An American who lives near Dublin, Ireland and usually spells in BrE

Chuck Riggs

Nov 16, 2009, 10:17:20 AM11/16/09

For two midgets, perhaps.

Chuck Riggs

Nov 16, 2009, 10:20:03 AM11/16/09
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:24:44 +1100, Peter Moylan <gro.nalyomp@retep>
wrote:

>Skitt wrote:
>> Django Cat wrote:
>>> James Hogg wrote:
>>
>> [about microwaving]
>>>
>>> Ohh, no. To the extent that if baked potatos are on the menu in a
>>> caff I ask if they've been baked - cripsy skin, fluffy inside - or
>>> microwaved - basically damp and slimy.
>>
>> You are definitely doing something wrong. Microwave-baked potatoes
>> are never damp and slimy. It takes about seven minutes on high for a
>> fairly large potato, and then the potato should be let to stand for
>> another few minutes before serving.
>
>The whole point of baked potatoes, in my mind, is the beautifully
>crunchy outside. The inside is less tasty, but there isn't a lot of
>inside if you cut the potatoes small enough before baking.

I agree about the desirability of a crunchy outside, but only the
English and Irish would chop up a potato before baking it.

Chuck Riggs

Nov 16, 2009, 10:21:31 AM11/16/09
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:22:29 GMT, the Omrud
<usenet...@gEXPUNGEmail.com> wrote:

>Peter Moylan wrote:
>> Skitt wrote:
>>>
>>> [about microwaving]

>>> You are definitely doing something wrong. Microwave-baked potatoes
>>> are never damp and slimy. It takes about seven minutes on high for a
>>> fairly large potato, and then the potato should be let to stand for
>>> another few minutes before serving.
>>
>> The whole point of baked potatoes, in my mind, is the beautifully
>> crunchy outside. The inside is less tasty, but there isn't a lot of
>> inside if you cut the potatoes small enough before baking.
>
>If you cut the potato, it can't be a baked potato to me.

Exactly right. What I said upthread. Good man.

<snip, since I've made my point>

James Hogg

Nov 16, 2009, 10:24:42 AM11/16/09

The Oxford English Dictionary example, apart from cases where it
literally means a boy who tends cows, refers to the barbarous Tory
partisans in the American Revolution, but I have seen a much earlier
example in an Irish context referring to the alleged brutality of
Protestant officers during the rising of 1642, "those captains of yours
whom you may call rather cowboys."

Quoted in David Stevenson, Scottish Covenanters and Irish Confederates:
Scottish-Irish Relations in the Mid-Seventeenth Century (Belfast, 1981),
p. 100.

--
James

Evan Kirshenbaum

Nov 16, 2009, 10:35:42 AM11/16/09
tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux) writes:

It seemed a likely precurser: rustling to find something leading to
rustling up the thing you're looking for. I agree that some more
examples would be nice. I see one hit for "rustle right around and
find it for him" from _Puck_, 8/17/1881, but on second thought, that
seems to be the earlier "hurry" sense.

> Why did you put "sic" after "conjure up"? Conjure up images, conjure up
> spirits, conjure up ideas.

I didn't. I put a "sic" after "to be able conjure up". It wasn't
quite clear where it should go, though. "Sic"ing a missing word is
hard.

HP Laboratories |If all else fails, embarrass the
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |industry into doing the right
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |thing.
| Dean Thompson
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Evan Kirshenbaum

Nov 16, 2009, 10:42:42 AM11/16/09
"CDB" <belle...@sympatico.ca> writes:

> I wonder if that use of "rustle" isn't a form of "wrestle", with
> particular connections to "struggle" or to the root meaning of the
> word in "wrest". All the examples above would fit reasonably well
> with those meanings, and I can substitute "wrestle up" in all of them
> without doing damage to my ears, at least. The OEtymD entry for
> "wrest" has: "Meaning "to pull, detach" (something) is recorded from
> c.1300. Meaning "to take by force" (in ref. to power, authority, etc.)
> is attested from 1426."

Interesting idea, but I don't see any evidence. The only early/mid
nineteenth century hit I get for "wrestle up" in any sort of
transferred sense is

It's no a'thegither a right frame o' Helen's to be sae pridefu'--
but if she thinks she can wrestle up her bairns without parish
help, it'll prevent her sinking under her distress.

_Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine_, 9/1828

where it seems to mean "raise".

HP Laboratories |The purpose of writing is to inflate
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning,
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |and inhibit clarity. With a little
|practice, writing can be an
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com |intimidating and impenetrable fog!
(650)857-7572 | Calvin

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

James Hogg

Nov 16, 2009, 10:43:27 AM11/16/09
Evan Kirshenbaum wrote:
> tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux) writes:
>
>> Evan Kirshenbaum <kirsh...@hpl.hp.com> wrote:
>>> A little boy was once required by his father in the winter time
>>> to go out and get some would to make a fire. He said he could
>>> not find the axe; it was covered up with the snow. Well, said
>>> the father, can't you find some dry limbs somewhere? No, said
>>> the boy. Well, said the father, can't you go out and rustle up
>>> the snow and find some chips? Well, no, said the boy, you
>>> can't get me to go to rustle up the snow; I might find a
>>> rattle-snake in rustling up the snow. That boy's imagination
>>> was very vivid, to be able conjure up [sic] a rattle-snake
>>> nestling beneath the snow.
<snip>

>> Why did you put "sic" after "conjure up"? Conjure up images, conjure up
>> spirits, conjure up ideas.
>
> I didn't. I put a "sic" after "to be able conjure up". It wasn't
> quite clear where it should go, though. "Sic"ing a missing word is
> hard.

You can insert the missing [to] instead of a [sic].

--
James

Leslie Danks

Nov 16, 2009, 10:53:25 AM11/16/09
Donna Richoux wrote:

[...]

> It is my thought that the modern use of by Brits of "cowboys" in a
> negative sense ("cowboy builders") may descend from the older use, not
> the later one.

Speaking of which, a group of traditional British cowboys were travelling
through deepest rural Austria a couple of weeks ago, asphalting people's
driveways whether they wanted them to or not. Don't anybody say the
European Union is good for nothing.

--
Les (BrE)

It is loading more messages.