James: for two days more

Marius Hancu

Nov 26, 2009, 4:26:49 AM11/26/09
Hello:

My reading of the beginning is that the Pococks have _again_
rescheduled their leaving Paris, deciding to be around for two more
days. Is that OK?

---
There they were yet again, accordingly, for two days more; when
Strether, on being, at Mrs. Pocock's hotel, ushered into that lady's
salon, found himself at first assuming a mistake on the part of the
servant who had introduced him and retired.

Henry James, The Ambassadors, p. 269
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/432/432-h/432-h.htm
-----
--
Thanks.
Marius Hancu

CDB

Nov 26, 2009, 6:14:25 AM11/26/09
Marius Hancu wrote:
> Hello:
>
> My reading of the beginning is that the Pococks have _again_
> rescheduled their leaving Paris, deciding to be around for two more
> days. Is that OK?

If so.the use of "again" is puzzling. Have you seen anything that
suggests they had gone away and then returned for a short while?

Marius Hancu

Nov 26, 2009, 9:04:33 AM11/26/09
On Nov 26, 6:14 am, "CDB" <bellema...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> > My reading of the beginning is that the Pococks have _again_
> > rescheduled their leaving Paris, deciding to be around for two more
> > days. Is that OK?
>
> If so.the use of "again" is puzzling. Have you seen anything that
> suggests they had gone away and then returned for a short while?
>
> > ---
> > There they were yet again, accordingly, for two days more; when
> > Strether, on being, at Mrs. Pocock's hotel, ushered into that lady's
> > salon, found himself at first assuming a mistake on the part of the
> > servant who had introduced him and retired.

I know what you mean, but no. They seem to have come to Paris and
stayed around until leaving for Alps at the end of their stay. My
reading is they've repeatedly postponed their leaving Paris.

Thanks.
Marius Hancu

CDB

Nov 26, 2009, 10:13:42 AM11/26/09
Yes, that would explain it. The word "again" would apply to "for two
days more" more than to "there they were".