Hot dogs and onions

Maria Conlon

Oct 31, 2009, 3:47:14 PM10/31/09
In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous they can
be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion being saved, even
in a refrigerator, for future use) there was mention of a "quaint
essential" picnic.

Had I noticed that usage, I would have changed it before sending the
email along to others. Oh, well. It's sometimes interesting how easily I
can read one thing and think of it as another.

Also: "hotdog" (one word, noun; something one eats) seems to be used
more than "hot dog" -- my own usage. I can see the one-word usage when
referring to someone who (verb-wise) "hot-dogs" or "hotdogs" -- he (or
she?) is a then, noun-wise, a "hot-dog/hotdogger," or even a
"hot-dogger"/"hotdogger." But the food... no, that's a hot dog, IMO.

What say you?

--
Maria Conlon

R H Draney

Oct 31, 2009, 3:55:23 PM10/31/09
Maria Conlon filted:

>In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous they can
>be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion being saved, even
>in a refrigerator, for future use) there was mention of a "quaint
>essential" picnic.
>
>Had I noticed that usage, I would have changed it before sending the
>email along to others. Oh, well. It's sometimes interesting how easily I
>can read one thing and think of it as another.

It's an eggcorn, no?...

>Also: "hotdog" (one word, noun; something one eats) seems to be used
>more than "hot dog" -- my own usage. I can see the one-word usage when
>referring to someone who (verb-wise) "hot-dogs" or "hotdogs" -- he (or
>she?) is a then, noun-wise, a "hot-dog/hotdogger," or even a
>"hot-dogger"/"hotdogger." But the food... no, that's a hot dog, IMO.
>
>What say you?

I say perhaps some people are trying to distance themselves from the thought of
eating dogs....r

--
A pessimist sees the glass as half empty.
An optometrist asks whether you see the glass

Cece

Oct 31, 2009, 4:08:08 PM10/31/09

Eggcorn for what?

Skitt

Oct 31, 2009, 4:26:15 PM10/31/09
Maria Conlon wrote:

> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous they can
> be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion being saved,
> even in a refrigerator, for future use) there was mention of a "quaint
> essential" picnic.

You didn't believe that about the onions, did you? That's another one of
those scare e-mails that some seem to propagate.

> Had I noticed that usage, I would have changed it before sending the
> email along to others.

Don't send the e-mail along to others. Please!

> Oh, well. It's sometimes interesting how
> easily I can read one thing and think of it as another.
>
> Also: "hotdog" (one word, noun; something one eats) seems to be used
> more than "hot dog" -- my own usage. I can see the one-word usage when
> referring to someone who (verb-wise) "hot-dogs" or "hotdogs" -- he (or
> she?) is a then, noun-wise, a "hot-dog/hotdogger," or even a
> "hot-dogger"/"hotdogger." But the food... no, that's a hot dog, IMO.
>
> What say you?

To me, the thing you eat (hot dog) is two words. The verb "to hotdog" and
its derived noun "hotdogger" are spelled as one word.
--
Skitt (AmE)

James Hogg

Oct 31, 2009, 4:54:26 PM10/31/09

The Snopes page about the cut-onion scare is here:
http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/cutonions.asp

--
James

Django Cat

Oct 31, 2009, 4:55:27 PM10/31/09
Cece wrote:

Quintessential.

DC

HVS

Oct 31, 2009, 4:59:17 PM10/31/09
On 31 Oct 2009, Maria Conlon wrote

> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous
> they can be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion
> being saved, even in a refrigerator, for future use)

(snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a hotdog")

I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and suspect
if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been very ill at
some point.

(Or maybe I'm dead and haven't noticed. Could be.)

--
Cheers, Harvey
CanEng and BrEng, indiscriminately mixed

James Silverton

Oct 31, 2009, 5:04:19 PM10/31/09
HVS wrote on Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:59:17 GMT:

>> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous
>> they can be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused
>> portion being saved, even in a refrigerator, for future use)

> (snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a
> hotdog")

> I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and
> suspect if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been
> very ill at some point.

> (Or maybe I'm dead and haven't noticed. Could be.)

Me too!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

HVS

Oct 31, 2009, 5:05:38 PM10/31/09
On 31 Oct 2009, James Silverton wrote

> HVS wrote on Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:59:17 GMT:
>
>>> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous
>>> they can be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused
>>> portion being saved, even in a refrigerator, for future use)
>
>> (snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a
>> hotdog")
>
>> I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and
>> suspect if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been
>> very ill at some point.
>
>> (Or maybe I'm dead and haven't noticed. Could be.)
>
> Me too!

You've confused me with Leroy....

Leslie Danks

Oct 31, 2009, 5:17:22 PM10/31/09
HVS wrote:

> On 31 Oct 2009, Maria Conlon wrote
>
>> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous
>> they can be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion
>> being saved, even in a refrigerator, for future use)
>
> (snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a hotdog")
>
> I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and suspect
> if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been very ill at
> some point.
>
> (Or maybe I'm dead and haven't noticed. Could be.)

I have done the same, so perhaps we're both dead. Perhaps we share a
parallel universe occupied solely by dead undead eaters of onion pieces
past their prime.

--
Les (BrE)

Django Cat

Oct 31, 2009, 5:11:13 PM10/31/09
HVS wrote:

> On 31 Oct 2009, Maria Conlon wrote
>
> > In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous
> > they can be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion
> > being saved, even in a refrigerator, for future use)
>
> (snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a hotdog")
>
> I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and suspect
> if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been very ill at
> some point.
>
> (Or maybe I'm dead and haven't noticed. Could be.)

Well it is halloween...

DC

HVS

Oct 31, 2009, 5:18:35 PM10/31/09
On 31 Oct 2009, Leslie Danks wrote

Probably a not-unreasonable definition of "Usenet", innit....

R H Draney

Oct 31, 2009, 5:35:47 PM10/31/09
Leslie Danks filted:

>HVS wrote:
>
>> On 31 Oct 2009, Maria Conlon wrote
>>
>>> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous
>>> they can be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion
>>> being saved, even in a refrigerator, for future use)
>>
>> (snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a hotdog")
>>
>> I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and suspect
>> if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been very ill at
>> some point.
>>
>> (Or maybe I'm dead and haven't noticed. Could be.)
>
>I have done the same, so perhaps we're both dead. Perhaps we share a
>parallel universe occupied solely by dead undead eaters of onion pieces
>past their prime.

In that case we need a slogan...I propose "Zol ze vaksen ze ve a tsibble mit de
kopin dreid"....r

Jerry Friedman

Oct 31, 2009, 5:50:55 PM10/31/09
On Oct 31, 3:35 pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> Leslie Danks filted:
>

> >HVS wrote:
>
> >> On 31 Oct 2009, Maria Conlon wrote

> >> (snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a hotdog")
>
> >> I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and suspect
> >> if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been very ill at
> >> some point.
>
> >> (Or maybe I'm dead and haven't noticed.  Could be.)
>
> >I have done the same, so perhaps we're both dead. Perhaps we share a
> >parallel universe occupied solely by dead undead eaters of onion pieces
> >past their prime.
>
> In that case we need a slogan...I propose "Zol ze vaksen ze ve a tsibble mit de
> kopin dreid"....r

Google seems to like, "Er zol vaksen vi a tsibeleh, mit der kop in
drerd!"

--
Jerry Friedman has eaten many onion halves.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

James Silverton

Oct 31, 2009, 6:11:06 PM10/31/09
Murray wrote on Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:06:26 GMT:

> Jerry Friedman wrote:

>> R H Draney wrote:
>>> Leslie Danks filted:

>>> In that case we need a slogan...I propose "Zol ze vaksen ze

>>> ve a tsibble =

>> mit de
>>> kopin dreid"....r
>>
>> Google seems to like, "Er zol vaksen vi a tsibeleh, mit der
>> kop in drerd!"

There is a vacuum cleaner company called Oreck whose name I keep reading
as Dreck, it sounds so appropriate.

Mark Brader

Oct 31, 2009, 6:21:31 PM10/31/09
Maria Conlon:

>> Also: "hotdog" (one word, noun; something one eats) seems to be used
>> more than "hot dog" -- my own usage. I can see the one-word usage when
>> referring to someone who (verb-wise) "hot-dogs" or "hotdogs" -- he (or
>> she?) is a then, noun-wise, a "hot-dog/hotdogger," or even a
>> "hot-dogger"/"hotdogger." But the food... no, that's a hot dog, IMO.

"Skitt":

> To me, the thing you eat (hot dog) is two words. The verb "to hotdog" and
> its derived noun "hotdogger" are spelled as one word.

Hear, hear.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"A system which depends upon the secrecy of its algorithm

LFS

Oct 31, 2009, 6:28:36 PM10/31/09
HVS wrote:
> On 31 Oct 2009, Maria Conlon wrote
>
>> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous
>> they can be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion
>> being saved, even in a refrigerator, for future use)
>
> (snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a hotdog")
>
> I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and suspect
> if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been very ill at
> some point.
>
> (Or maybe I'm dead and haven't noticed. Could be.)

Me too.

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

LFS

Oct 31, 2009, 6:31:30 PM10/31/09

<grin> I thought I was the only one who did that!

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Oct 31, 2009, 10:19:20 PM10/31/09
R H Draney falt:
[...]
> I propose "Zol ze vaksen ze ve a tsibble mit de kopin dreid"....r

Oy! Such _drek_ he writes. Even Leo Rosten and
Rabbi Jacobs would scream seeing this goyish "Yiddish."

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~

R H Draney

Oct 31, 2009, 10:36:02 PM10/31/09
Reinhold {Rey} Aman filted:

>R H Draney falt:
>[...]
>> I propose "Zol ze vaksen ze ve a tsibble mit de kopin dreid"....r
>
>Oy! Such _drek_ he writes. Even Leo Rosten and
>Rabbi Jacobs would scream seeing this goyish "Yiddish."

Take it up with the website I cut and pasted from [1]...I actually went looking
for the spelling of a different onion-related curse and thought the translation
of this one fit the circumstances better....r

[1] http://www.pass.to/glossary/gloz4.htm#letz

Pierre Jelenc

Oct 31, 2009, 11:48:24 PM10/31/09
Maria Conlon <conlo...@sbcglobal.net> writes:
> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous they can
> be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion being saved, even
> in a refrigerator, for future use)

That is simply silly. Onions contain potent alkylating agents (the stuff
that makes you cry, by attacking the proteins on your mucosa); they are
antibiotics, and probably fairly aggressive ones to boot. The same goes
for garlic, mustard and horseradish (the latter two contain acylating
agents instead, but the effect is the same), but not for capsicum peppers.

Pierre
--
Pierre Jelenc
The Gigometer www.gigometer.com

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 1, 2009, 12:37:37 AM11/1/09
R H Draney falt:

> Reinhold {Rey} Aman filted:
>> R H Draney falt:
>> [...]
>>> I propose "Zol ze vaksen ze ve a tsibble mit de kopin dreid"....r
>>
>> Oy! Such _drek_ he writes. Even Leo Rosten and
>> Rabbi Jacobs would scream seeing this goyish "Yiddish."

> Take it up with the website I cut and pasted from [1]...

Why should *I* take it up with that worse-than-amateurish website you
consulted? When you post shit copied from a shitty site, your post and
you stink as much as that author and his terrible glossary.

There are several such idiotic "Yiddish" glossaries on the Web that make
anyone who knows and treasures REAL Yiddish scream.

> I actually went looking for the spelling of a different
> onion-related curse and thought the translation
> of this one fit the circumstances better. ...r

That's no excuse for posting shit. When posting foreign-language stuff,
it's *your* responsibility to make sure it's correct. And where is/was
your translation of this "Yiddish" crap? Instead of compulsively
showing off (as usual) with esoteric crap, posting the English
translation would have been much more helpful to most AUEers. ("You
should grow like an onion with your head in the ground.")

> [1] http://www.pass.to/glossary/gloz4.htm#letz

Maria Conlon

Nov 1, 2009, 1:38:05 AM11/1/09
Skitt wrote:
> Maria Conlon wrote:
>
>> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous they
>> can
>> be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion being saved,
>> even in a refrigerator, for future use) there was mention of a
>> "quaint
>> essential" picnic.
>
> You didn't believe that about the onions, did you? That's another one
> of those scare e-mails that some seem to propagate.

James Hogg's reply gives the URL for the Scopes site that discusses this
onion email business.

As for me and what I believe about onions: I don't eat them raw under
any circumstances. This non-eating of onions has nothing to do with any
"scare." The fact is that I can't stand raw onions. They stink. They
thoroughly spoil a green salad, IMO. (Cooked onions don't bother me as
much, but I still don't partake of them. I do cook with them, though. My
husband likes them.) And as for red-skin onions, they're the worst for
me. They smell just like bad body odor.

But my feelings about onions had nothing to do with forwarding the
email. I saw no harm in it.

>> Had I noticed that usage, I would have changed it before sending the
>> email along to others.
>
> Don't send the e-mail along to others. Please!

Too late. I sent it to family and some close friends. No AUEers received
the Onion Warning in an email from me. They have now, of course, been
exposed to the description (opening my post) about the email, but I
trust they will rely on their own good sense in the matter. (The same
goes for my family and friends who received the email. None of them
think that emails from me come straight from God's lips to my
fingertips.)

>> Oh, well. It's sometimes interesting how
>> easily I can read one thing and think of it as another.
>>
>> Also: "hotdog" (one word, noun; something one eats) seems to be used
>> more than "hot dog" -- my own usage. I can see the one-word usage
>> when
>> referring to someone who (verb-wise) "hot-dogs" or "hotdogs" -- he
>> (or
>> she?) is a then, noun-wise, a "hot-dog/hotdogger," or even a
>> "hot-dogger"/"hotdogger." But the food... no, that's a hot dog, IMO.
>>
>> What say you?
>
> To me, the thing you eat (hot dog) is two words. The verb "to hotdog"
> and its derived noun "hotdogger" are spelled as one word.

I agree.

--
Maria Conlon

Maria Conlon

Nov 1, 2009, 1:49:51 AM11/1/09
James Hogg wrote:

> The Snopes page about the cut-onion scare is here:
> http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/cutonions.asp

Thanks for posting that, James (or do you prefer being called "Jim"?
Just asking.)

I generally check with Snopes when I'm leery about anything in an email,
particularly if it is an "FW". I slipped up on this one and didn't
check. But actually, I didn't/don't see any harm resulting from the
practice of being careful with onions (or any other food) when it comes
to saving raw portions.

And, as mentioned to Skitt, I don't like onions. If a bunch of
half-onions get tossed away, that's fewer I'll smell. (Not that that's a
good defense.)

--
Maria Conlon

Maria Conlon

Nov 1, 2009, 1:05:53 AM11/1/09
HVS wrote:
> Maria Conlon wrote
>
>> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous
>> they can be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion
>> being saved, even in a refrigerator, for future use)
>
> (snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a hotdog")
>
> I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and suspect
> if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been very ill at
> some point.

I've already indicated, in this thread, that I can't stand smelling raw
onions. Now I wonder if my body is warning me to beware of harm from
them. Seriously, the smell of onions, especially those with red skins,
makes me nauseated. Ah, well, I haven't had to go to the Emergency Room
yet as a result of rampant stinking-of-body-odor onions.

> (Or maybe I'm dead and haven't noticed. Could be.)

Do any of us actually notice when we, individually, "shuffle off this
mortal coil"? I wonder....

However, in my opinion, you're still among the living. That, or many of
us converse with the dead.

--
Maria Conlon

Maria Conlon

Nov 1, 2009, 1:10:45 AM11/1/09

Points to Leslie and HVS for that exchange.

--
Maria Conlon

Maria Conlon

Nov 1, 2009, 1:27:32 AM11/1/09
Pierre Jelenc wrote:
> Maria Conlon writes:

>> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous they
>> can
>> be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion being saved,
>> even
>> in a refrigerator, for future use)
>
> That is simply silly. Onions contain potent alkylating agents (the
> stuff
> that makes you cry, by attacking the proteins on your mucosa); they
> are
> antibiotics, and probably fairly aggressive ones to boot. The same
> goes
> for garlic, mustard and horseradish (the latter two contain acylating
> agents instead, but the effect is the same), but not for capsicum
> peppers.

I don't know, but maybe you've got something there. Some things make you
get sick because otherwise you'd get dead.

But, there may be a flaw in that. (I want to tie that comment about
"flaw" in with "fly in the ointment" but I'm tired and can't think of a
right-sounding "ointment" substitute. Anyone?

--
Maria Conlon

R H Draney

Nov 1, 2009, 1:53:35 AM11/1/09
Reinhold {Rey} Aman filted:

>R H Draney falt:
>
>> Reinhold {Rey} Aman filted:

>There are several such idiotic "Yiddish" glossaries on the Web that make
>anyone who knows and treasures REAL Yiddish scream.

Please supply links to the glossaries you think would be useful to someone
needing a quick spelling check for a poorly-remembered catchphrase...until then,
I'm afraid you'll have to settle for me using whatever my first Google search
turns up....

>> I actually went looking for the spelling of a different
>> onion-related curse and thought the translation
>> of this one fit the circumstances better. ...r
>
>That's no excuse for posting shit. When posting foreign-language stuff,
>it's *your* responsibility to make sure it's correct. And where is/was
>your translation of this "Yiddish" crap? Instead of compulsively
>showing off (as usual) with esoteric crap, posting the English
>translation would have been much more helpful to most AUEers. ("You
>should grow like an onion with your head in the ground.")

I realize that offending people is your stock in trade, but I prefer to operate
on the assumption that "most AUEers" don't require the kind of handholding you
seem to be recommending....r

J. J. Lodder

Nov 1, 2009, 4:19:24 AM11/1/09
Maria Conlon <conlo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Skitt wrote:
> > Maria Conlon wrote:
> >
> >> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous they
> >> can
> >> be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion being saved,
> >> even in a refrigerator, for future use) there was mention of a
> >> "quaint
> >> essential" picnic.
> >
> > You didn't believe that about the onions, did you? That's another one
> > of those scare e-mails that some seem to propagate.
>
> James Hogg's reply gives the URL for the Scopes site that discusses this
> onion email business.
>
> As for me and what I believe about onions: I don't eat them raw under
> any circumstances. This non-eating of onions has nothing to do with any
> "scare." The fact is that I can't stand raw onions. They stink. They
> thoroughly spoil a green salad, IMO. (Cooked onions don't bother me as
> much, but I still don't partake of them. I do cook with them, though. My
> husband likes them.) And as for red-skin onions, they're the worst for
> me. They smell just like bad body odor.

You wouldn't eat raw herring too, I suppose.
You should try them together.
(onions finely chopped)

> But my feelings about onions had nothing to do with forwarding the
> email. I saw no harm in it.

Chain letters are always harmful.
(and against the fair usage rules of your provider)

Never pass on chain letters,
whatever the pretext,

Jan

James Hogg

Nov 1, 2009, 4:41:11 AM11/1/09

Several possibilities spring to mind:

a bug in the unguent
a speck in the spikenard
a muscid in the moisturiser
a diptera in the dip
a blemish in the blancmange

--
James (who doesn't answer to Jim)

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 1, 2009, 5:17:28 AM11/1/09
R H Draney falt (and snipped much essential info):

> Reinhold {Rey} Aman filted:
>> R H Draney falt:
>>> Reinhold {Rey} Aman filted:

>> There are several such idiotic "Yiddish" glossaries on the Web that
>> make anyone who knows and treasures REAL Yiddish scream.

> Please supply links to the glossaries you think would be useful to
> someone needing a quick spelling check for a poorly-remembered
> catchphrase...

As a stereotypical Jew would reply, "What do I look like, a library?"

First, you didn't need the original *Yiddish* curse, because most AUEers
don't know Yiddish. The English translation would have sufficed and
been perfect.

Second, that was no catchphrase but a mild curse.

Third, if you don't know the exact English (or Yiddish) wording but
remember a few key words, Google is your friend:

(grow +head +onion) = two hits on the first page of ten hits;
OR:
(onion +head +ground +grow) = three hits on the first page of ten hits;
OR:
(yiddish +onion +head) = TEN hits on the first page of ten hits!

These hits provide all you needed: "You should grow like an onion with
your head in the ground" and some minor variants.

> until then, I'm afraid you'll have to settle for me using whatever
> my first Google search turns up....

For a super-Googler like you, that's all you could find? And worse, you
copied the first piece of crap you found? And why did you show off (as
usual) with that crappy "Yiddish" instead of providing the English
translation *everyone* understands immediately?

>>> I actually went looking for the spelling of a different
>>> onion-related curse and thought the translation
>>> of this one fit the circumstances better. ...r

>> That's no excuse for posting shit. When posting foreign-language
>> stuff, it's *your* responsibility to make sure it's correct. And
>> where is/was your translation of this "Yiddish" crap? Instead of
>> compulsively showing off (as usual) with esoteric crap, posting the
>> English translation would have been much more helpful to most
>> AUEers. ("You should grow like an onion with your head in the ground.")

> I realize that offending people is your stock in trade,

It is not. I only offend the few people who *deserve* to be "offended."

> but I prefer to operate on the assumption that
> "most AUEers" don't require the kind of handholding you
> seem to be recommending. ...r

You assume wrongly, because *not one other AUEer* has the same inventory
of useless trivia with which your head is crammed full, especially no
other reader living outside the USA and perhaps Canada.

Your standard modus operandi is throwing some esoteric bit at the AUE
masses and smugly feeling superior and how clever you are (because us
morons don't know what the hell you're referring to) and
*inconsiderately* making readers waste their time Googling -- if they
are sufficiently curious, bored, or stupid to do so.

Surveys in AUE have never been successful, but if I asked how many
AUEers needed "handholding" (i.e., more information) to figure out that
your show-off and crappy "Zol ze vaksen ze ve a tsibble mit de kopin
dreid" meant "You should grow like an onion with your head in the
ground," with the exception of about a dozen Jews and other hip guys,
I'm certain that all other AUEers would have been happy to have their
hands held.

And not just in this case, but in at least 50% of your esoteric and
cryptic show-off posts.

Nick

Nov 1, 2009, 8:17:12 AM11/1/09
Leslie Danks <leslie...@aon.at> writes:

Maybe, as with Sydney Smith's salad, the onion atoms are keeping us
animated.
--
Online waterways route planner: http://canalplan.org.uk
development version: http://canalplan.eu

Nick

Nov 1, 2009, 8:18:52 AM11/1/09
"James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.net> writes:

I regularly misread the label on the back of a particular model of car
that described itself as GRDT. A Peugeot I think.

Message has been deleted

Default User

Nov 1, 2009, 11:15:04 AM11/1/09
HVS wrote:

> On 31 Oct 2009, Maria Conlon wrote
>
> > In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous
> > they can be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion
> > being saved, even in a refrigerator, for future use)
>
> (snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a hotdog")
>
> I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and suspect
> if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been very ill at
> some point.

I am protected by my intense dislike of onions.

Brian

--
Day 272 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

HVS

Nov 1, 2009, 11:45:09 AM11/1/09
On 01 Nov 2009, Default User wrote

> HVS wrote:
>
>> On 31 Oct 2009, Maria Conlon wrote
>>
>>> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous
>>> they can be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused
>>> portion being saved, even in a refrigerator, for future use)
>>
>> (snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a
>> hotdog")
>>
>> I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and
>> suspect if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been
>> very ill at some point.
>
> I am protected by my intense dislike of onions.

I realised after Mary mentioned her dislike of them just how
frequently we use them at our house. We eat a lot of onions --
white, red, spring, leeks, shallots, chives (and probably a few
I've forgotten about).

I don't like snails or toads or frogs
Or strange things sitting under logs,
But...

William

Nov 1, 2009, 11:53:37 AM11/1/09
On 1 Nov, 09:19, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder) wrote:
> You wouldn't eat raw herring too, I suppose.
> You should try them together.
> (onions finely chopped)

To ward off vampires?

> Chain letters are always harmful.

You cannot possibly know that.

> (and against the fair usage rules of your provider)

You cannot possibly know that.

--
WH

musika

Nov 1, 2009, 11:55:21 AM11/1/09
In news:hcj8p0$sfr$1...@news.albasani.net,
Maria Conlon <conlo...@sbcglobal.net> typed:

It's rude to point.

--
Ray
UK

John Kane

Nov 1, 2009, 12:57:24 PM11/1/09
On Oct 31, 3:59 pm, HVS <use...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31 Oct 2009, Maria Conlon wrote
>
> > In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous
> > they can be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion
> > being saved, even in a refrigerator, for future use)
>
> (snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a hotdog")
>
> I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and suspect
> if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been very ill at
> some point.
>
> (Or maybe I'm dead and haven't noticed.  Could be.)

I believe most professional kitchens peel and often otherwise prepare
onions at least a day in advance of using. Strangely enough I don't
see a lot of people keeling over as they leave the restaurants, or
other establishments.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Lars Enderin

Nov 1, 2009, 1:04:33 PM11/1/09
William wrote:
> On 1 Nov, 09:19, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder) wrote:
>> You wouldn't eat raw herring too, I suppose.
>> You should try them together.
>> (onions finely chopped)
>
> To ward off vampires?

The Dutch share Scandinvian tastes in this regard. We also like raw
herring with chopped onions and sour cream. Akvavit or vodka isn't out
of the way either.

Paul Wolff

Nov 1, 2009, 1:18:25 PM11/1/09
Lars Enderin <lars.e...@telia.com> wrote

What a recipe for a boink! Just let me know in plenty of time...
--
Paul

R H Draney

Nov 1, 2009, 1:34:40 PM11/1/09
James Hogg filted:

>Maria Conlon wrote:
>>
>> But, there may be a flaw in that. (I want to tie that comment about
>> "flaw" in with "fly in the ointment" but I'm tired and can't think of
>> a right-sounding "ointment" substitute. Anyone?
>
>Several possibilities spring to mind:
>
>a bug in the unguent
>a speck in the spikenard
>a muscid in the moisturiser
>a diptera in the dip
>a blemish in the blancmange

Please let's nobody look in the woodpile....r

Maria Conlon

Nov 1, 2009, 1:41:47 PM11/1/09
J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Maria Conlon wrote:

>> As for me and what I believe about onions: I don't eat them raw under
>> any circumstances. This non-eating of onions has nothing to do with
>> any
>> "scare." The fact is that I can't stand raw onions. They stink. They
>> thoroughly spoil a green salad, IMO. (Cooked onions don't bother me
>> as
>> much, but I still don't partake of them. I do cook with them, though.
>> My
>> husband likes them.) And as for red-skin onions, they're the worst
>> for
>> me. They smell just like bad body odor.
>
> You wouldn't eat raw herring too, I suppose.
> You should try them together.
> (onions finely chopped)

Actually, I'm pretty sure, though not 100% positive, that I've eaten
herring (probably not with onions, finely chopped or otherwise). I've
also had "oysters on the half shell." Only once, but I'd probably try
them again in the same circumstances as before: Saturday night, party in
a friend's basement, lots of people/fun/laughter, and lots of drinks. I
was probably drinking scotch-and-water, my favorite back in those days
(late 1960s/early 1970s), but I think someone suggested a beer chaser
for the OOTHS. (Is that common? Am I misremembering?) My husband refused
to try the OOTHS, but I'm pretty sure he eats (or has eaten) herring.

>> But my feelings about onions had nothing to do with forwarding the
>> email. I saw no harm in it.
>
> Chain letters are always harmful.
> (and against the fair usage rules of your provider)
>
> Never pass on chain letters,
> whatever the pretext,

A chain letter is not the same animal as a forwarded email.

"Chain letter," per Merriam-Webster Online:

"a letter sent to several persons with a request that each send copies
of the letter to an equal number of persons."

I make no such request when I send FWs. Moreover, I consider a forwarded
email more of a "carbon" or "machine copy." (You send copies, more or
less, of the email to several people -- people one knows fairly well,
and who may have an interest in seeing the information, warning, joke,
photo, etc. And these days, I don't send many FWs at all. I get plenty,
though.

And "summer good, summer not." The same could be said of the copied (but
fake) memos, rules, jokes, forms, etc., that we used to make copies of
and circulate throughout the group, office, department, or company.
Waste of company time, sure, but not much, and beneficial to the
mood/attitude of workers. Most bosses ignored (or secretly enjoyed)
these pass-arounds.

1990s: When we got PCs (vs clunky, limited CRTs) and MS email at work,
you should have seen the amount of jokes, photos, videos, etc., that
flew around the building. Morale showed an instant improvement. So did
creativity. And so did communication with fellow workers.

Final note: Any email that tells me to "forward this to x-number of
people in within x-number of minutes" gets deleted on the spot. And any
that mention "God will getcha if you don't [whatever]" also gets
deleted. Also: Anything in what I consider to be "bad taste" is deleted.
Funny photos are another matter altogether; I'll forward them to people
who will, I know, enjoy them.

Are you happy now? (I hope so.)

--
Maria Conlon

Maria Conlon

Nov 1, 2009, 1:45:47 PM11/1/09
musika wrote:
> Maria Conlon typed:

>> HVS wrote:

>>> Probably a not-unreasonable definition of "Usenet", innit....
>>
>> Points to Leslie and HVS for that exchange.
>
> It's rude to point.

Okay,okay. "Points *awarded* to Leslie and HVS for that exchange."

--
Maria Conlon

Maria Conlon

Nov 1, 2009, 1:55:12 PM11/1/09
Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
>R H Draney falt (and snipped much essential info):
>> Reinhold {Rey} Aman filted:
>>> R H Draney falt:

[a more-or-less back-and-forth argument about Yiddish and other things]

Now listen, guys: I like both of you and it hurts me (and others,
maybe?) to see you argue like this.

Please stop it, and just be informative, polite, and funny. Your fans
expect that.

--
Your friend and fan, Maria

Maria Conlon

Nov 1, 2009, 2:10:06 PM11/1/09
James Hogg wrote:
> Maria Conlon wrote, in part:

>> But, there may be a flaw in that. (I want to tie that comment about
>> "flaw" in with "fly in the ointment" but I'm tired and can't think of
>> a right-sounding "ointment" substitute. Anyone?
>
> Several possibilities spring to mind:
>
> a bug in the unguent
> a speck in the spikenard
> a muscid in the moisturiser
> a diptera in the dip
> a blemish in the blancmange

I think I like the speck and diptera ones best, but they're all good. (I
had to look up meanings for "spikenard," "muscid", "diptera" and
"blancmange." I feel smarter and more informed now.)

> James (who doesn't answer to Jim)

Thanks for that info (which I asked for, should anyone wonder).

--
Maria Conlon

James Hogg

Nov 1, 2009, 2:12:34 PM11/1/09

AOL

--
James

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 1, 2009, 2:31:30 PM11/1/09

ObUsage: Is "out of the way" supposed to mean "out of the question" or
"uncommon", or what?

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
... comparable to being ruler of an exceptionally small duchy.
--Newark (NJ) Star Ledger ( http://tinyurl.com/RolandIsNJ )

Nick

Nov 1, 2009, 2:38:24 PM11/1/09
HVS <use...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk> writes:

> I realised after Mary mentioned her dislike of them just how
> frequently we use them at our house. We eat a lot of onions --
> white, red, spring, leeks, shallots, chives (and probably a few
> I've forgotten about).

I buy them by the sack. Literally. I'd say the four of us get through
an average of one a day.

Lars Enderin

Nov 1, 2009, 2:42:32 PM11/1/09
Roland Hutchinson wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 18:04:33 +0000, Lars Enderin wrote:
>
>> William wrote:
>>> To ward off vampires?
>>>
>> The Dutch share Scandinvian tastes in this regard. We also like raw
>> herring with chopped onions and sour cream. Akvavit or vodka isn't out
>> of the way either.
>
> ObUsage: Is "out of the way" supposed to mean "out of the question" or
> "uncommon", or what?

I realized too late that the phrase isn't idiomatic English, rather a
word-for-word translation of a Swedish idiom.I try to avoid such gaffes.
I actually meant to say that schnapps (snaps in Swedish) is almost de
rigeur with raw herring.

Lars Enderin

Nov 1, 2009, 2:53:32 PM11/1/09

"de rigueur", of course.

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 1, 2009, 3:20:59 PM11/1/09

I thought it might be something like that.

I've managed (narrowly) to avoid the raw herring in the Netherlands so
far, onions and all -- but I can't help feeling it might be an
improvement on the salt licorice, which I once attempted, by mistake, to
eat.

R H Draney

Nov 1, 2009, 4:06:11 PM11/1/09
Roland Hutchinson filted:

I've managed (narrowly) to avoid the raw herring in the Netherlands so
>far, onions and all -- but I can't help feeling it might be an
>improvement on the salt licorice, which I once attempted, by mistake, to
>eat.

I've been avoiding the salt licorice since I first stumbled across it in a
Japanese grocery (with a modest Indonesian section, whence the Dutch stuff), but
until recently I had only my dislike of the taste as an excuse...now I find that
the worst thing you can feed someone with high blood pressure, apart from
anything containing sodium, is licorice....

The Dutch have inadvertently hit on the ideal combination of ingredients to
cause human circulatory systems to explode....r

R H Draney

Nov 1, 2009, 4:10:41 PM11/1/09
Maria Conlon filted:

>James Hogg wrote:
>> Maria Conlon wrote, in part:
>
>>> But, there may be a flaw in that. (I want to tie that comment about
>>> "flaw" in with "fly in the ointment" but I'm tired and can't think of
>>> a right-sounding "ointment" substitute. Anyone?
>>
>> Several possibilities spring to mind:
>>
>> a bug in the unguent
>> a speck in the spikenard
>> a muscid in the moisturiser
>> a diptera in the dip
>> a blemish in the blancmange
>
>I think I like the speck and diptera ones best, but they're all good. (I
>had to look up meanings for "spikenard," "muscid", "diptera" and
>"blancmange." I feel smarter and more informed now.)

Didn't know "spikenard", but then I suppose that everyone has some words they're
not familiar with:

guano in the guacamole
a worm in the wasabi

Lars Enderin

Nov 1, 2009, 4:27:09 PM11/1/09
R H Draney wrote:
> Roland Hutchinson filted:
> I've managed (narrowly) to avoid the raw herring in the Netherlands so
>> far, onions and all -- but I can't help feeling it might be an
>> improvement on the salt licorice, which I once attempted, by mistake, to
>> eat.
>
> I've been avoiding the salt licorice since I first stumbled across it in a
> Japanese grocery (with a modest Indonesian section, whence the Dutch stuff), but
> until recently I had only my dislike of the taste as an excuse...now I find that
> the worst thing you can feed someone with high blood pressure, apart from
> anything containing sodium, is licorice....
>
> The Dutch have inadvertently hit on the ideal combination of ingredients to
> cause human circulatory systems to explode....r

Salt licorice used to be quite popular in Sweden, and probably still is.
I don't use it myself, though.

Peter Moylan

Nov 1, 2009, 4:39:21 PM11/1/09
Nick wrote:
> "James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> Murray wrote on Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:06:26 GMT:
>> There is a vacuum cleaner company called Oreck whose name I keep
>> reading as Dreck, it sounds so appropriate.
>
> I regularly misread the label on the back of a particular model of car
> that described itself as GRDT. A Peugeot I think.

The one that keeps fooling me is the car called KIL, where the last
letter is a Greek lambda.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Robin Bignall

Nov 1, 2009, 4:39:39 PM11/1/09
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 13:41:47 -0500, "Maria Conlon"
<conlo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>J. J. Lodder wrote:
>> Maria Conlon wrote:
>
>>> As for me and what I believe about onions: I don't eat them raw under
>>> any circumstances. This non-eating of onions has nothing to do with
>>> any
>>> "scare." The fact is that I can't stand raw onions. They stink. They
>>> thoroughly spoil a green salad, IMO. (Cooked onions don't bother me
>>> as
>>> much, but I still don't partake of them. I do cook with them, though.
>>> My
>>> husband likes them.) And as for red-skin onions, they're the worst
>>> for
>>> me. They smell just like bad body odor.
>>
>> You wouldn't eat raw herring too, I suppose.
>> You should try them together.
>> (onions finely chopped)
>
>Actually, I'm pretty sure, though not 100% positive, that I've eaten
>herring (probably not with onions, finely chopped or otherwise). I've
>also had "oysters on the half shell." Only once, but I'd probably try
>them again in the same circumstances as before:

Is eating oysters not usual in the USA? In 1973, immediately after my
visit to New Orleans I spent a week in Houston. We used to lunch
outdoors in a cafe which would bring, until you'd had enough, large
trays with oysters on the half shell surrounded by jumbo shrimp, all
on ice. The final course was southern fried chicken. The whole lot
was a fixed price of $7 plus drinks. The shellfish were from Texas
Bay, and the oysters better than any I've had in France or the UK.
--
Robin
(BrE)

James Silverton

Nov 1, 2009, 4:59:09 PM11/1/09
Robin wrote on Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:39:39 +0000:

>> J. J. Lodder wrote:

>>> You wouldn't eat raw herring too, I suppose.
>>> You should try them together.
>>> (onions finely chopped)
>>
>> Actually, I'm pretty sure, though not 100% positive, that
>> I've eaten herring (probably not with onions, finely chopped
>> or otherwise). I've also had "oysters on the half shell."
>> Only once, but I'd probably try them again in the same
>> circumstances as before:

:>Is eating oysters not usual in the USA?

There are a surprising number of *species* of oyster, all of the
available ones appreciated in the US.

This is from Wikipedia and reliable as far as I know.

"True oysters are members of the family Ostreidae. This family includes
the edible oysters, which mainly belong to the genera Ostrea,
Crassostrea, Ostreola and Saccostrea. Examples include the Belon oyster,
eastern oyster, Olympia oyster, Pacific oyster, Sydney rock oyster and
the Wellfleet oyster"

Note that the Wellfleet oyster is differentiated from the Eastern
oyster. . I like Chincoteague oysters from the Chespeake bay tho' they
may be a variant of the Eastern oyster. There are certainly very
different looking oysters available in
Europe: Portuguese oysters, Brittany oysters (are these the same as
Belons?), English Channel oysters etc

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Joe Fineman

Nov 1, 2009, 5:20:25 PM11/1/09
"Skitt" <ski...@comcast.net> writes:

> Maria Conlon wrote:
>
>> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous they
>> can be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion being

>> saved, even in a refrigerator, for future use) there was mention of
>> a "quaint essential" picnic.
>
> You didn't believe that about the onions, did you? That's another
> one of those scare e-mails that some seem to propagate.

I am happy to have escaped them, having halved, quartered, and
eighthed onions since time immemorial, used the remainders for periods
of many days, and survived.
--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: For every person wishing to teach there are thirty not :||
||: wishing to be taught. :||

Joe Fineman

Nov 1, 2009, 5:26:08 PM11/1/09
"Maria Conlon" <conlo...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Also: "hotdog" (one word, noun; something one eats) seems to be used
> more than "hot dog" -- my own usage. I can see the one-word usage
> when referring to someone who (verb-wise) "hot-dogs" or "hotdogs" --
> he (or she?) is a then, noun-wise, a "hot-dog/hotdogger," or even a
> "hot-dogger"/"hotdogger." But the food... no, that's a hot dog, IMO.
>
> What say you?

AHD gives "hot dog" first (agreeing with my impression of common
usage), but "hotdog" second (agreeing with me). Both the stress and
the specialization of sense suggest that we are dealing here with one
word (cf. "blackbird" vs "black bird"). However, usage is sometimes
irrationally conservative in such matters. (Surely, it is high time
that "highschool" went the way of "highway".)

--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: (1) Who is Joe? (2) Get me Joe. (3) We need someone like :||
||: Joe. (4) What we need is a young Joe. (5) Who is Joe? :||

Robin Bignall

Nov 1, 2009, 5:29:45 PM11/1/09

Since they both think that they might be dead that's pointless.

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 1, 2009, 5:35:45 PM11/1/09
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 13:06:11 -0800, R H Draney wrote:

> Roland Hutchinson filted:
>>
> I've managed (narrowly) to avoid the raw herring in the Netherlands so
>>far, onions and all -- but I can't help feeling it might be an
>>improvement on the salt licorice, which I once attempted, by mistake, to
>>eat.
>
> I've been avoiding the salt licorice since I first stumbled across it in
> a Japanese grocery (with a modest Indonesian section, whence the Dutch
> stuff), but until recently I had only my dislike of the taste as an
> excuse...now I find that the worst thing you can feed someone with high
> blood pressure, apart from anything containing sodium, is licorice....

I am very sorry to hear that. I shall have to consult my own doctor
about it.

HVS

Nov 1, 2009, 5:37:45 PM11/1/09
On 01 Nov 2009, Robin Bignall wrote

We'll call it a dead heat.

--
Cheers, Harvey
CanEng and BrEng, indiscriminately mixed

Robin Bignall

Nov 1, 2009, 5:38:54 PM11/1/09
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 16:45:09 GMT, HVS <use...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 01 Nov 2009, Default User wrote
>
>> HVS wrote:
>>
>>> On 31 Oct 2009, Maria Conlon wrote

>>> (snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a
>>> hotdog")
>>>

>>> I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and
>>> suspect if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been
>>> very ill at some point.
>>

>> I am protected by my intense dislike of onions.

>I realised after Mary mentioned her dislike of them just how
>frequently we use them at our house. We eat a lot of onions --
>white, red, spring, leeks, shallots, chives (and probably a few
>I've forgotten about).

My wife would agree with Maria, for she can't stand any sort of onion.
I think a little spring onion or shallot improves a stir-fry. WIWAL
we used to get large onions that my mother called Spanish Onions. They
were so mild you could eat them like an apple.

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 1, 2009, 5:43:15 PM11/1/09
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 08:39:21 +1100, Peter Moylan wrote:

> Nick wrote:
>> "James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.net> writes:
>>
>>> Murray wrote on Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:06:26 GMT: There is a vacuum
>>> cleaner company called Oreck whose name I keep reading as Dreck, it
>>> sounds so appropriate.
>>
>> I regularly misread the label on the back of a particular model of car
>> that described itself as GRDT. A Peugeot I think.
>
> The one that keeps fooling me is the car called KIL, where the last
> letter is a Greek lambda.

I know. I used to drive a SLTURN.

Donna Richoux

Nov 1, 2009, 7:01:12 PM11/1/09
Joe Fineman <jo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> (Surely, it is high time
> that "highschool" went the way of "highway".)

May be something about that ghsch.

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 1, 2009, 8:03:06 PM11/1/09
James Hogg wrote:

> Maria Conlon wrote:
[...]

>> Please stop it, and just be informative, polite, and funny.
>> Your fans expect that.

> AOL

Another Oldster Laments? :-)

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~

Robert Bannister

Nov 1, 2009, 8:28:31 PM11/1/09
Peter Moylan wrote:

> The one that keeps fooling me is the car called KIL, where the last
> letter is a Greek lambda.

And they don't even pronounce it correctly in their adverts.

--

Rob Bannister

Robert Bannister

Nov 1, 2009, 8:31:31 PM11/1/09
Default User wrote:
> HVS wrote:
>
>> On 31 Oct 2009, Maria Conlon wrote
>>
>>> In a recent email I received (about onions, and how dangerous
>>> they can be if halved or otherwise cut, with the unused portion
>>> being saved, even in a refrigerator, for future use)
>> (snip bit about hot dogs, but I think I'd write "I ate a hotdog")
>>
>> I've saved and eaten "saved onions" for....oh, decades, and suspect
>> if there was anything dangerous about it I'd have been very ill at
>> some point.
>
> I am protected by my intense dislike of onions.

Don't be like that. Some of them are quite nice when you get to know them.

--

Rob Bannister

Peter Moylan

Nov 1, 2009, 8:32:07 PM11/1/09

I'm not a great fan of Russian soups.

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 1, 2009, 8:42:47 PM11/1/09
Murray Arnow wrote:

>> R H Draney falt:
>>> Rey filted:
[...]

>>> [1] http://www.pass.to/glossary/gloz4.htm#letz

> Rey, the expression commonly uses "drerd" which is "hell"

That's not right, Murray, but I don't feel like correcting you in public
and explaining the Middle High German origin of Yiddish _drerd_.

> --an unpunly word play.

No word play involved.

> I do agree that this is a poor transliteration, but I
> readily understood it, except for the "dreid."

R H Draney

Nov 1, 2009, 8:49:02 PM11/1/09
Roland Hutchinson filted:

>On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 13:06:11 -0800, R H Draney wrote:
>>
>> ...now I find that the worst thing you can feed someone with high
>> blood pressure, apart from anything containing sodium, is licorice....
>
>I am very sorry to hear that. I shall have to consult my own doctor
>about it.

Found out after an afternoon of driving around, eating Good 'n' Plenty
candy...couldn't figure out why my midsection was aching every time I coughed or
took a deep breath, so I did some Googling and turned up the information that
real licorice (the stuff in G&P, not the fake stuff they use in Twizzlers) not
only raises blood pressure but leaches potassium out of your muscles...keep at
it long enough and you can actually do permanent muscle damage....

Of course, by the time I'd obtained this information and knew I needed a lot of
potassium quickly, the health-food store had been closed for several
hours...fortunately, there's a gas station with a huge mini-mart just a block
from my house, and in any place of that description there's bound to be a big
basket of fruit, mostly bananas...a couple of those and a big bottle of
potassium-boosted Vitamin Water (the fruit punch flavor) and the ache settled
down overnight....r

R H Draney

Nov 1, 2009, 8:54:24 PM11/1/09
Peter Moylan filted:

>Donna Richoux wrote:
>> Joe Fineman <jo...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> (Surely, it is high time
>>> that "highschool" went the way of "highway".)
>>
>> May be something about that ghsch.
>
>I'm not a great fan of Russian soups.

Klingon hors d'oeuvres, innit?...r

tony cooper

Nov 1, 2009, 9:50:57 PM11/1/09

Yes, but regionally. There may be fresh oysters available in Indiana,
but they are not particularly popular. Indianapolis used to have
(it's long gone, now) a restaurant that featured oyster stew but fresh
oysters were not on the menu.

In Florida, places that serve fresh oysters are easily found. Mostly
Apalachicola oysters from the beds in the Gulf of Mexico just off the
Panhandle of Florida. The Apalachicola beds furnish most of the
oysters served in New Orleans.

I would suspect that there are far more natives of the mid-American
states that have never eaten an oyster or seen oysters on a menu than
there are that have. That is, unless they've visited New Orleans or
some other place where oysters are a must-try item.

I went to an oyster bar in New Orleans with a business associate a few
years back. I couldn't get him out of the place. He ordered and
finished his dozen, but then stayed and finished off the ten or eleven
that tourists coming in and sitting next to him ordered and didn't
eat. He claimed, the next day, to have eaten over 50 raw oysters.

>In 1973, immediately after my
>visit to New Orleans I spent a week in Houston. We used to lunch
>outdoors in a cafe which would bring, until you'd had enough,

I've never seen that. Usually, around here, you order six or twelve.
If you want more, you pay for more.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Peter Moylan

Nov 1, 2009, 9:57:47 PM11/1/09
tony cooper wrote:

> I would suspect that there are far more natives of the mid-American
> states that have never eaten an oyster or seen oysters on a menu than
> there are that have. That is, unless they've visited New Orleans or
> some other place where oysters are a must-try item.

Are there so many people who have never had a vacation on the coast?

I've rented myself a house on the south coast for a week in January. The
owner of the house has advised me to take an oyster knife whenever I
visit the rock pools.

tony cooper

Nov 1, 2009, 10:18:43 PM11/1/09
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:57:47 +1100, Peter Moylan
<pe...@pmoylan.org.not.china> wrote:

>tony cooper wrote:
>
>> I would suspect that there are far more natives of the mid-American
>> states that have never eaten an oyster or seen oysters on a menu than
>> there are that have. That is, unless they've visited New Orleans or
>> some other place where oysters are a must-try item.
>
>Are there so many people who have never had a vacation on the coast?

A bit irrelative. People who vacation are not necessarily adventurous
eaters. There are many people who would never try oysters, tongue,
brains, escargot, kidneys, and some other food items.

>I've rented myself a house on the south coast for a week in January. The
>owner of the house has advised me to take an oyster knife whenever I
>visit the rock pools.

I live within 45 minutes of a coast. However, it's a half-day drive
to an area in Florida with oyster beds, and a full day's drive to
Florida's Apalachicola oyster beds.

I am always amazed at people from other parts of the US who go to
restaurants down here noted for sea food and order chicken or steak.

Message has been deleted

Jerry Friedman

Nov 1, 2009, 10:43:47 PM11/1/09
On Nov 1, 8:18 pm, tony cooper <tony_cooper...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:57:47 +1100, Peter Moylan
>
> <pe...@pmoylan.org.not.china> wrote:
> >tony cooper wrote:
>
> >> I would suspect that there are far more natives of the mid-American
> >> states that have never eaten an oyster or seen oysters on a menu than
> >> there are that have.  That is, unless they've visited New Orleans or
> >> some other place where oysters are a must-try item.
>
> >Are there so many people who have never had a vacation on the coast?
>
> A bit irrelative.

Irrelevant?

> People who vacation are not necessarily adventurous
> eaters.  There are many people who would never try oysters, tongue,
> brains, escargot, kidneys, and some other food items.

For that reason, I won't argue with you about the number of people in
the inland states who have never eaten an oyster (and then there are
those who have eaten only one). But I can't imagine there's a sizable
fraction of Americans who have never seen an oyster on a menu, unless
you mean raw oysters. Though I suppose the fraction goes up if you
count people who never look at the seafood section of a menu long
enough to see what's on it.

> >I've rented myself a house on the south coast for a week in January. The
> >owner of the house has advised me to take an oyster knife whenever I
> >visit the rock pools.

Plenty of Americans would shudder (even though January has an "r" in
it). Not a few would tell you about the dangers of pollution and the
disgusting nature of "bottom feeders".

> I live within 45 minutes of a coast.  However, it's a half-day drive
> to an area in Florida with oyster beds, and a full day's drive to
> Florida's Apalachicola oyster beds.
>
> I am always amazed at people from other parts of the US who go to
> restaurants down here noted for sea food and order chicken or steak.

I'm amazed from all the way over here.

--
Jerry Friedman

tony cooper

Nov 2, 2009, 12:34:46 AM11/2/09
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 19:43:47 -0800 (PST), Jerry Friedman
<jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Nov 1, 8:18�pm, tony cooper <tony_cooper...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:57:47 +1100, Peter Moylan
>>
>> <pe...@pmoylan.org.not.china> wrote:

>> >Are there so many people who have never had a vacation on the coast?
>>
>> A bit irrelative.
>
>Irrelevant?

Yes. Of course. A typo, maybe a thinko.

>> People who vacation are not necessarily adventurous
>> eaters. �There are many people who would never try oysters, tongue,
>> brains, escargot, kidneys, and some other food items.
>
>For that reason, I won't argue with you about the number of people in
>the inland states who have never eaten an oyster (and then there are
>those who have eaten only one). But I can't imagine there's a sizable
>fraction of Americans who have never seen an oyster on a menu, unless
>you mean raw oysters. Though I suppose the fraction goes up if you
>count people who never look at the seafood section of a menu long
>enough to see what's on it.

I think it's sizable. There are many Americans who seldom dine out
and never dine out at the type of restaurant that would offer oysters.
There are restaurants that would never put oysters on the menu because
not enough patrons would order them to justify bring in the oysters.

I don't think you're giving consideration to what most restaurants are
like. They don't have seafood sections of the menu. They have a set
number of menu choices that never change, and an insert about today's
"specials". Or, no insert and the specials on a board on the wall.

These may not be the type of restaurants the Friedmans go to, but I'm
speaking of the type of restaurant most commonly found in any town in
the US.

Speaking of things people won't try, tourists come down here every day
and refuse to try grits. If they won't try something as innocuous as
grits, can you imagine them putting an oyster in their mouth?

Garrett Wollman

Nov 2, 2009, 12:51:53 AM11/2/09
In article <28nse5pa7g680uivt...@4ax.com>,
tony cooper <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>These may not be the type of restaurants the Friedmans go to, but I'm
>speaking of the type of restaurant most commonly found in any town in
>the US.

Ignoring fast-food and rapid-casual chains, I suspect the type of
restaurant most commonly found in any town in the U.S. is a pizza
parlor. That's probably followed by Applebee's, and the multi-headed
Darden (Red Lobster/Olive Garden/Bahama Breeze/LongHorn/Capital
Grille) and Brinker International (Chili's/On the
Border/Maggiano's/Romano's) chains, all of which are bigger than even
Howard Johnson's (the inventor of the concept) ever was.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
wol...@bimajority.org| repeated, than the story of a large research program

Jerry Friedman

Nov 2, 2009, 1:13:06 AM11/2/09

Not to mention the restaurants with the menu on the wall behind the
order counter, which we're told aren't called restaurants in Britain
(or didn't use to be).

> These may not be the type of restaurants the Friedmans go to, but I'm
> speaking of the type of restaurant most commonly found in any town in
> the US.

Sure. It's been at least six months since I've been to a restaurant
with oysters on the menu. But /never/ having been to such a
restaurant--on vacation, for a rehearsal dinner, on New Year's Eve,
before the prom, taken to lunch by the boss--that's a different thing.

Maybe I should have specified adults, though, since I'm sure plenty of
little children have never seen oysters on a menu.

> Speaking of things people won't try, tourists come down here every day
> and refuse to try grits.  If they won't try something as innocuous as
> grits, can you imagine them putting an oyster in their mouth?

It's probably partly the word "grits". And I like oysters a good deal
better than grits (based on memories of the latter from when I was ten
or twelve). But I take your point.

--
Jerry Friedman

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 2, 2009, 1:31:05 AM11/2/09
Murray Arnow wrote:

> Rey wrote:
>> Murray Arnow wrote:
[...]

>>> Rey, the expression commonly uses "drerd" which is "hell"

>> That's not right, Murray, but I don't feel like correcting you
>> in public and explaining the Middle High German origin of
>> Yiddish _drerd_.

> Rey, I don't mind being corrected. "Drerd," however, certainly
> means "hell" in the usage I know. My father did most certainly
> use it to mean that. Maybe I misheard him, but I do recall
> asking what was meant by "drerd," which he often said with very
> indistinct final "d" and sounds like "drer," and the answer was
> "hell."
>
> I notice that there are many references on the web to "drerd"
> meaning "ground," but let me repeat, I never heard it used that
> way. Maybe my upbringing was sheltered.

And above ground.

>>> --an unpunly word play.

>> No word play involved.

> I think there is a play between "erd" and "drerd," but I won't
> wager on my thinking.

Yiddish _erd_ (earth) is the same word as _drerd_ (the-earth) without
the prefixed contracted definite article _der_ (i.e., _dr_) and means
"earth" (= ground, soil) ONLY, in every Yiddish dialect, never "hell"
(which in Yiddish is _gehenem_).

> Regardless, I'd be interested in what have to say about the
> origin of "drerd."

head in the ground:
==================
kopf in der erde (MHG) -->
kop in der erd (early Yiddish) -->
kop in d'r erd (Yiddish) -->
kop in dr erd (Yiddish) -->
kop in drerd (modern Yiddish).

The blending/fusing of article (_dr_) and noun (_erd_) to _drerd_ is
very interesting.

tony cooper

Nov 2, 2009, 1:43:02 AM11/2/09
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 05:51:53 +0000 (UTC), wol...@bimajority.org
(Garrett Wollman) wrote:

>In article <28nse5pa7g680uivt...@4ax.com>,
>tony cooper <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>These may not be the type of restaurants the Friedmans go to, but I'm
>>speaking of the type of restaurant most commonly found in any town in
>>the US.
>
>Ignoring fast-food and rapid-casual chains, I suspect the type of
>restaurant most commonly found in any town in the U.S. is a pizza
>parlor. That's probably followed by Applebee's, and the multi-headed
>Darden (Red Lobster/Olive Garden/Bahama Breeze/LongHorn/Capital
>Grille) and Brinker International (Chili's/On the
>Border/Maggiano's/Romano's) chains, all of which are bigger than even
>Howard Johnson's (the inventor of the concept) ever was.

I'll go along with pizza parlor as a commonly found restaurant in any
town, but not the rest of your list. Those restaurants you mention
line the thoroughfares and fill the shopping center areas, but most
restaurants in any town are independently owned restaurants. The ones
you might call greasy spoons. Some open for breakfast and lunch only.
These are the restaurants that you may pass daily but never pay
attention to.

You could travel across the US and eat three meals a day in a
restaurants without ever entering any of the restaurants you mention
or restaurants of that type. And, find one within 10 minutes of
deciding you were ready for a meal. Provided, of course, you don't
travel by interstate. I can't say you'd always enjoy the meal, but
the issue here is "most restaurants".

It puts me in mind of "Camelot" and "What Do The Simple Folk Do?".

LFS

Nov 2, 2009, 2:04:08 AM11/2/09
Or Pulp's "Common People"?

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

tony cooper

Nov 2, 2009, 2:20:13 AM11/2/09

You have any idea how many Americans don't *do* those things? Ever?

Chat up the guy that drives the truck that picks up your trash and ask
him how often the boss takes him out to lunch at a restaurant. Ask
some of the office cleaners at the university what the menu offerings
were at the restaurants they stopped in on their vacation. Stop some
road construction workers and ask them how many receptions they've
been to recently with order-off-the-menu dinners.

When I say "most Americans", I mean "most Americans", not "most
Americans of the type that Jerry Friedman or Tony Cooper hang around
with".

It's been a week since I've had oysters. My wife and I stopped for
lunch in a small restaurant on the town square in Madison, Florida.
Place probably sat 20 people. Special of the day was fried oysters
and hush puppies. Quite good, but Madison is not that far from the
Apalachicola oyster beds.

We had taken a three day trip up to Valdosta, Georgia...west to
Bainbridge, Georgia...south to Tallahassee, Florida...east to
Madison...then south back to Orlando. Took all state roads and
stopped in a lot of small towns.

Madison (the town)has a population of 3,000. Typical small town with
a town square around the courthouse. Madison's the county seat for
Madison County. You won't find the non-fast-food chain restaurants in
Madison because Madison County is one of four dry counties in Florida.

>Maybe I should have specified adults, though, since I'm sure plenty of
>little children have never seen oysters on a menu.

Naw, "adults" is a given without being specified.

Nick

Nov 2, 2009, 2:50:07 AM11/2/09
wol...@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman) writes:

> Ignoring fast-food and rapid-casual chains, I suspect the type of
> restaurant most commonly found in any town in the U.S. is a pizza
> parlor.

Returning to my 'use of "restaurant"' obsession, that feels wrong to me,
although I don't have a one-word replacement for "restaurant" in that
sentence. I think some of us clearly use "restaurant" much more as the
generic representative of the class than others. I've not proved it's
pondian yet, but I still suspect so.
--
Online waterways route planner: http://canalplan.org.uk
development version: http://canalplan.eu

J. J. Lodder

Nov 2, 2009, 3:02:03 AM11/2/09
Lars Enderin <lars.e...@telia.com> wrote:

> William wrote:

> > On 1 Nov, 09:19, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder) wrote:
> >> You wouldn't eat raw herring too, I suppose.
> >> You should try them together.
> >> (onions finely chopped)
> >

> > To ward off vampires?
> >
> The Dutch share Scandinvian tastes in this regard. We also like raw
> herring with chopped onions and sour cream. Akvavit or vodka isn't out
> of the way either.

Jenever?
For the horrified Brits:
dry sherry also goes down well with it,

Jan

J. J. Lodder

Nov 2, 2009, 3:02:05 AM11/2/09
Roland Hutchinson <my.sp...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 19:53:32 +0000, Lars Enderin wrote:
>
> > Lars Enderin wrote:

> >> I realized too late that the phrase isn't idiomatic English, rather a
> >> word-for-word translation of a Swedish idiom.I try to avoid such
> >> gaffes. I actually meant to say that schnapps (snaps in Swedish) is
> >> almost de rigeur with raw herring.
> >
> > "de rigueur", of course.
>
> I thought it might be something like that.
>
> I've managed (narrowly) to avoid the raw herring in the Netherlands so
> far, onions and all -- but I can't help feeling it might be an
> improvement on the salt licorice, which I once attempted, by mistake, to
> eat.

You must mean 'drop'.
It also exists in mild varieties,
without the salt,

Jan

J. J. Lodder

Nov 2, 2009, 3:02:05 AM11/2/09
Nick <3-no...@temporary-address.org.uk> wrote:

> "James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.net> writes:
>
> > Murray wrote on Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:06:26 GMT:
> > There is a vacuum cleaner company called Oreck whose name I keep
> > reading as Dreck, it sounds so appropriate.
>
> I regularly misread the label on the back of a particular model of car
> that described itself as GRDT. A Peugeot I think.

Quite possible.
GR is a standard category indication with Peugeot,
the D will of course be a Diesel,
so one may guess a Turbo as well,

Jan

Nick Spalding

Nov 2, 2009, 5:39:47 AM11/2/09
Robin Bignall wrote, in <r93se5pstdei05fvt...@4ax.com>
on Sun, 01 Nov 2009 22:38:54 +0000:

> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 16:45:09 GMT, HVS <use...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
> wrote:

> >> I am protected by my intense dislike of onions.
> >

> >I realised after Mary mentioned her dislike of them just how
> >frequently we use them at our house. We eat a lot of onions --
> >white, red, spring, leeks, shallots, chives (and probably a few
> >I've forgotten about).
> >
> My wife would agree with Maria, for she can't stand any sort of onion.
> I think a little spring onion or shallot improves a stir-fry. WIWAL
> we used to get large onions that my mother called Spanish Onions. They
> were so mild you could eat them like an apple.

List to me...
<http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/t/thespaniardthatblightedmylife.shtml>
<http://tinyurl.com/yl4mx4g>
--
Nick Spalding
BrE/IrE

Django Cat

Nov 2, 2009, 7:02:35 AM11/2/09
tony cooper wrote:

Eating an oyster *is* challenging; how do you know what to do with the
thing unless someone shows you? And they do look so alarmingly like
snot... However, I always wanted to try one, but also wanted to wait
till someone else I was dining with had oysters so I could get the
proceedure right. Given I'm married to a vegetarian, this didn't
actually happen until I was in my 40s, but I'm now doing my best to
catch up. I still draw the line at escargot and frogs legs, though.
Kidneys are great.

DC, now expecting to be called a peasant

Chuck Riggs

Nov 2, 2009, 7:02:56 AM11/2/09
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 18:04:33 GMT, Lars Enderin
<lars.e...@telia.com> wrote:

>William wrote:
>> On 1 Nov, 09:19, nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder) wrote:
>>> You wouldn't eat raw herring too, I suppose.
>>> You should try them together.
>>> (onions finely chopped)
>>
>> To ward off vampires?
>>

>The Dutch share Scandinvian tastes in this regard. We also like raw
>herring with chopped onions and sour cream. Akvavit or vodka isn't out
>of the way either.

Pickled raw herrings in a jar, if that is what you're talking about,
have never tasted raw to me.
--

Regards,

Chuck Riggs,
An American who lives near Dublin, Ireland and usually spells in BrE

Django Cat

Nov 2, 2009, 7:06:02 AM11/2/09
Nick wrote:

> wol...@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman) writes:
>
> > Ignoring fast-food and rapid-casual chains, I suspect the type of
> > restaurant most commonly found in any town in the U.S. is a pizza
> > parlor.
>
> Returning to my 'use of "restaurant"' obsession, that feels wrong to
> me,

Is this connected with McDonalds' insistence on calling their tacky
burger bars 'restaurants' BAC? If so, I share your annoyance, and I
think we've done this one previously.

DC

Chuck Riggs

Nov 2, 2009, 7:06:14 AM11/2/09
On 1 Nov 2009 13:06:11 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>Roland Hutchinson filted:

>I've managed (narrowly) to avoid the raw herring in the Netherlands so
>>far, onions and all -- but I can't help feeling it might be an
>>improvement on the salt licorice, which I once attempted, by mistake, to
>>eat.
>

>I've been avoiding the salt licorice since I first stumbled across it in a
>Japanese grocery (with a modest Indonesian section, whence the Dutch stuff), but
>until recently I had only my dislike of the taste as an excuse...now I find that

>the worst thing you can feed someone with high blood pressure, apart from
>anything containing sodium, is licorice....

Not a pretty woman's tongue?

Django Cat

Nov 2, 2009, 7:09:32 AM11/2/09
Jerry Friedman wrote:

Turning that around, is 'caf�' never used in AmE?

DC

Django Cat

Nov 2, 2009, 7:11:47 AM11/2/09
tony cooper wrote:

> > with oysters on the menu. But never having been to such a

> > restaurant--on vacation, for a rehearsal dinner, on New Year's Eve,
> > before the prom, taken to lunch by the boss--that's a different
> > thing.
>

> You have any idea how many Americans don't do those things? Ever?

> Chat up the guy that drives the truck that picks up your trash and ask
> him how often the boss takes him out to lunch at a restaurant. Ask
> some of the office cleaners at the university what the menu offerings
> were at the restaurants they stopped in on their vacation. Stop some
> road construction workers and ask them how many receptions they've
> been to recently with order-off-the-menu dinners.
>
> When I say "most Americans", I mean "most Americans", not "most
> Americans of the type that Jerry Friedman or Tony Cooper hang around
> with".
>
> It's been a week since I've had oysters. My wife and I stopped for
> lunch in a small restaurant on the town square in Madison, Florida.
> Place probably sat 20 people. Special of the day was fried oysters
> and hush puppies. Quite good, but Madison is not that far from the
> Apalachicola oyster beds.
>
> We had taken a three day trip up to Valdosta, Georgia...west to
> Bainbridge, Georgia...south to Tallahassee, Florida...east to
> Madison...then south back to Orlando. Took all state roads and
> stopped in a lot of small towns.
>
> Madison (the town)has a population of 3,000. Typical small town with
> a town square around the courthouse. Madison's the county seat for
> Madison County. You won't find the non-fast-food chain restaurants in
> Madison because Madison County is one of four dry counties in Florida.

Is that the 'Bridges of ...' one, or is that somewhere else?

DC

Chuck Riggs

Nov 2, 2009, 7:15:09 AM11/2/09
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 16:59:09 -0500, "James Silverton"
<not.jim....@verizon.net> wrote:

> Robin wrote on Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:39:39 +0000:

>>> Actually, I'm pretty sure, though not 100% positive, that
>>> I've eaten herring (probably not with onions, finely chopped
>>> or otherwise). I've also had "oysters on the half shell."
>>> Only once, but I'd probably try them again in the same
>>> circumstances as before:
>
>:>Is eating oysters not usual in the USA?
>

>There are a surprising number of *species* of oyster, all of the
>available ones appreciated in the US.
>
>This is from Wikipedia and reliable as far as I know.
>
>"True oysters are members of the family Ostreidae. This family includes
>the edible oysters, which mainly belong to the genera Ostrea,
>Crassostrea, Ostreola and Saccostrea. Examples include the Belon oyster,
>eastern oyster, Olympia oyster, Pacific oyster, Sydney rock oyster and
>the Wellfleet oyster"
>
>Note that the Wellfleet oyster is differentiated from the Eastern
>oyster. . I like Chincoteague oysters from the Chespeake bay tho' they
>may be a variant of the Eastern oyster. There are certainly very
>different looking oysters available in
>Europe: Portuguese oysters, Brittany oysters (are these the same as
>Belons?), English Channel oysters etc

You certainly know your oysters.
Can't abide the ugly things, myself. What do they say? "It was a brave
man who tried the first oyster"?

Message has been deleted
It is loading more messages.