"another thing coming": 1919

Ben Zimmer

Oct 28, 2004, 5:36:31 PM10/28/04
Another find from Newspaperarchives.com... some time ago Jesse
Sheidlower gave the earliest known cite for "(have got) another thing
coming", from 1959:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=cactff$smp$1...@panix2.panix.com

1959 Lethbridge (Alberta, Canada) Herald 22 Aug. 20/3 Please
tell your friends in France that if any more come over here
thinking they can put money in slot machines and get money
galore, they have got another thing coming.

That newspaper is part of the Newspaperarchives.com collection, so I
assume that's where the cite was found. But the archive continues to
grow, and it now includes a cite antedating that one by forty years:

Syracuse (NY) Herald, August 12, 1919
PITY THE POOR MOVIE STAR
If you think the life of a movie star is all sunshine and
flowers you've got another thing coming.

There are a few other cites from the '20s, so it's not an isolated case.
The earliest cites I've found for "another think coming" are from 1900:

Daily Iowa State Press, July 7, 1900
An Iowa county man writes to a Des Moines paper that he
thinks Capt. J.N.W. Rumple, of Marengo, will be nominated
by acclamation for Joe R. Lane's place in congress. We
think the Iowa county man has another think coming.

Anaconda (Montana) Standard, November 7, 1900
"I wouldn't trust you judges anyhow. I think you
flim-flammed him."
"Well, you've got another think coming if you can stand
the shock. We ain't like those guys in your party.
We're on the square."

Areff

Oct 28, 2004, 5:47:52 PM10/28/04
Ben Zimmer wrote:
> But the archive continues to
> grow, and it now includes a cite antedating that one by forty years:
>
> Syracuse (NY) Herald, August 12, 1919
> PITY THE POOR MOVIE STAR
> If you think the life of a movie star is all sunshine and
> flowers you've got another thing coming.
>
> There are a few other cites from the '20s, so it's not an isolated case.
> The earliest cites I've found for "another think coming" are from 1900:

Holy cow! It now seems slightly more possible that "another thing coming"
may NOT have originated as a mishearing of "another think coming"! Or,
okay, even if it probably did, the mishearing happened pretty early on --
before Sparky Cunningham was born!

Ben Zimmer

Oct 28, 2004, 6:30:35 PM10/28/04
Areff wrote:

> Ben Zimmer wrote:
> > But the archive continues to
> > grow, and it now includes a cite antedating that one by forty years:
> >
> > Syracuse (NY) Herald, August 12, 1919
> > PITY THE POOR MOVIE STAR
> > If you think the life of a movie star is all sunshine and
> > flowers you've got another thing coming.
> >
> > There are a few other cites from the '20s, so it's not an isolated case.
> > The earliest cites I've found for "another think coming" are from 1900:
>
> Holy cow! It now seems slightly more possible that "another thing coming"
> may NOT have originated as a mishearing of "another think coming"!

I wouldn't go *that* far, since this example still has the "If you
think..." setup. Also, the archive has nearly 150 cites for "another
think coming" between 1900 and 1920, so the expression was very much in
vogue at the time -- easy to see how a mutation could have arisen.

> Or, okay, even if it probably did, the mishearing happened pretty
> early on -- before Sparky Cunningham was born!

Apparently so.

Areff

Oct 28, 2004, 6:43:49 PM10/28/04
Ben Zimmer wrote:
> The earliest cites I've found for "another think coming" are from 1900:

Beaten by the earliest cite for "another guess coming". Edwardsville
Intelligencer, Nov. 12, 1897:

Canvasser - You are the head of the house, I presume?
Dixmyth - Your presumption is quite natural, but you've got another
guess coming.
Canvasser - Beg pardon, but I don't quite catch your drift?
Dixmyth - Well, I have to foot the bills, and as my wife says I'm always
kicking you can draw your own conclusions -- Chicago News

Ben Zimmer

Oct 28, 2004, 7:47:08 PM10/28/04
Areff wrote:

> Ben Zimmer wrote:
> > The earliest cites I've found for "another think coming" are from 1900:

Whoops, forgot that Proquest has this from 1898:

From the State Press.
Chicago Daily Tribune, Sep 24, 1898, p. 6
Chicago thinks it wants a new charter. Chicago has
another think coming. It doesn't need a new charter
half as much as it needs some honest officials.
-- Quincy Whig.

> Beaten by the earliest cite for "another guess coming". Edwardsville
> Intelligencer, Nov. 12, 1897:
>
> Canvasser - You are the head of the house, I presume?
> Dixmyth - Your presumption is quite natural, but you've got another
> guess coming.
> Canvasser - Beg pardon, but I don't quite catch your drift?
> Dixmyth - Well, I have to foot the bills, and as my wife says I'm always
> kicking you can draw your own conclusions -- Chicago News

That beats Proquest's 1899 cite:

May Ignore the Fight
Chicago Daily Tribune, Jun 8, 1899, p. 4
"I don't care what he says about the purse being
divided. He's got another guess coming. I know what
I am doing and he is only guessing, so there you are."
[quoting a boxer named Fitzsimmons]

I also noticed this early variant:

Newark (Ohio) Daily Advocate, December 19, 1899
Thursday Night's Bout.
Swede will find him no novice at the game, and those who
miss this go, will have a think coming the next day.

Since both of these 1899 citations are from articles about prizefights,
perhaps the expression originated in the world of boxing.

Areff

Oct 28, 2004, 7:56:37 PM10/28/04
Ben Zimmer wrote:
> Areff wrote:
>>
>> Ben Zimmer wrote:
>> > The earliest cites I've found for "another think coming" are from 1900:
>
> Whoops, forgot that Proquest has this from 1898:
>
> From the State Press.
> Chicago Daily Tribune, Sep 24, 1898, p. 6
[...]

>> Beaten by the earliest cite for "another guess coming". Edwardsville
>> Intelligencer, Nov. 12, 1897:
[...]

> That beats Proquest's 1899 cite:
>
> May Ignore the Fight
> Chicago Daily Tribune, Jun 8, 1899, p. 4

[...]

> I also noticed this early variant:
>
> Newark (Ohio) Daily Advocate, December 19, 1899
> Thursday Night's Bout.
> Swede will find him no novice at the game, and those who
> miss this go, will have a think coming the next day.
>
> Since both of these 1899 citations are from articles about prizefights,
> perhaps the expression originated in the world of boxing.

Notice how many of these cites are from the Midwest -- Chicago, Ohio, etc.
Uninteresting coincidence, or are we seeing the pernt of origin of these
phrases?

Ben Zimmer

Oct 28, 2004, 8:18:54 PM10/28/04
Areff wrote:

> Notice how many of these cites are from the Midwest -- Chicago, Ohio, etc.
> Uninteresting coincidence, or are we seeing the pernt of origin of these
> phrases?

Well, I've found that the Chicago Tribune archive is often a richer
source for slangy neologisms (particulary in sports coverage) than other
Proquest newspapers. And the newspaperarchive.com collection seems
heavily skewed towards Midwestern sources -- for instance, there are
dozens and dozens of papers from Ohio, but only a few from New Jersey.
Perhaps this is somehow indicative of the diligence of Midwestern
librarians and other researchers. (I've also noticed that genealogy
websites from the Midwest are particularly comprehensive.)

Jess Askin

Oct 28, 2004, 9:35:46 PM10/28/04

"Ben Zimmer" <bgzi...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote in message

The snappier the expression, the more likely it is to have been coined by
some clever individual (perhaps a newspaperman of the era), whether or not
we can trace who that was. Or so it seems to me.

The surprising thing about "you've got another think coming" is how long it
lasted, if it dates back to the 1890's. You could still use it today, if you
put a little irony in your voice.

Areff

Oct 28, 2004, 10:21:20 PM10/28/04
Jess Askin wrote:
> The surprising thing about "you've got another think coming" is how long it
> lasted, if it dates back to the 1890's. You could still use it today, if you
> put a little irony in your voice.

Er, you can still use it today because most people listening will think
you're saying "another thing coming".

Mike Barnes

Oct 29, 2004, 7:43:19 AM10/29/04

Uh, you can actually use either form today because almost everybody
listening (present company excepted, of course) will hear what they
expect to hear.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Ross Howard

Oct 29, 2004, 7:49:27 AM10/29/04
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:43:19 +0100, Mike Barnes
<octob...@mikebarnes.fsnet.co.uk> wrought:

Yep. That's why I'm always surprised to hear "another thing coming"
whenever I do hear it -- thing is, I'm always expecting to hear what
everyone except a lower-intermediate ESL student would say:
"something else".

"Another thing coming" is based on a hearo. That seems to be so
obvious that I'm amazed its users refuse to accept it. We all have
idiolects that include forms and expressions that are wonky, plain
wrong, misquoted and generally duff. But if this is pointed out to us
we just shrug and say, "Ah, okay." What we don't do its attempt to
defend the indefensible by dragging up prehistoric cites to bolster a
non-existent case.

(And anyone who things [*sic*] I'm going to change my views on this
has got another one coming.)

--
Ross Howard

don groves

Oct 29, 2004, 3:57:32 PM10/29/04
In article <kc25HeRX...@34klh41lk4h1lk34h3lk4h1k4.invalid>,
Mike Barnes at octob...@mikebarnes.fsnet.co.uk poured forth...

I've never heard "another thing coming" but do remember "... and
another thing, young man, ..." from my mother.
--
dg (domain=ccwebster)

Robert Lieblich

Oct 29, 2004, 4:31:38 PM10/29/04
Ben Zimmer wrote:

> Another find from Newspaperarchives.com... some time ago Jesse
> Sheidlower gave the earliest known cite for "(have got) another thing
> coming", from 1959:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=cactff$smp$1...@panix2.panix.com
>
> 1959 Lethbridge (Alberta, Canada) Herald 22 Aug. 20/3 Please
> tell your friends in France that if any more come over here
> thinking they can put money in slot machines and get money
> galore, they have got another thing coming.

[ ... ]

I'm not participating in this group any more, as most of you know.
But if I were, I'd be very grateful to Ben for his research and
reporting on this and other similar usage matters. It's this sort
of thing that I most regret missing now that I've gone on to other
things.

--
Bob Lieblich
The One and Only AUE Liebs

Mike Lyle

Oct 29, 2004, 5:03:20 PM10/29/04

Bob! I nearly cried. I hope you'll let me take you and Mrs Bob for
lunch when I'm over there soon. I do hope you're both flourishing.

Mike.

Robin Bignall

Oct 29, 2004, 5:55:35 PM10/29/04

So, instead of having another think coming, you have another thing
going.

Ah, well. Best wishes.... you are missed.

--

wrmst rgrds
Robin Bignall

Hertfordshire
England

Mark Barratt

Oct 29, 2004, 6:19:49 PM10/29/04
Robert Lieblich wrote:

> I'm not participating in this group any more,

Greatly to our loss. Nice to see that you're keeping an eye on
us, though.

--
Mark Barratt
Budapest

Robert Lieblich

Oct 29, 2004, 8:26:42 PM10/29/04
[posted because I'm still awful at unmunging email addresses]

Mike Lyle wrote:

[ ... ]

> Bob! I nearly cried. I hope you'll let me take you and Mrs Bob for
> lunch when I'm over there soon. I do hope you're both flourishing.

Please, Mike, control yourself. But if you *are* heading for
Greater Laurel, please email me (still unmunged) so we can discuss
it. I'll spring for the drinks ... and perhaps another thing (or
two).

Bob

Jesse Sheidlower

Oct 29, 2004, 10:40:08 PM10/29/04
In article <4181665F...@midway.uchicago.edu>,

Ben Zimmer <bgzi...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>Another find from Newspaperarchives.com... some time ago Jesse
>Sheidlower gave the earliest known cite for "(have got) another thing
>coming", from 1959:

[...]

>That newspaper is part of the Newspaperarchives.com collection, so I
>assume that's where the cite was found. But the archive continues to
>grow, and it now includes a cite antedating that one by forty years:

<sigh> Sometimes I envy my colleagues at, say, the Dictionary of Old
English. They don't often have to worry about someone shoveling another
1.3 million pages of OE text at them.

Great find, thanks, Ben.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED

Steve Hayes

Oct 30, 2004, 1:59:52 AM10/30/04
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:57:32 -0700, don groves <dgr...@domain.net> wrote:

>I've never heard "another thing coming" but do remember "... and
>another thing, young man, ..." from my mother.

So you *did* have another thing coming, whether you heard it or not.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm

don groves

Oct 30, 2004, 2:27:00 AM10/30/04
In article <41831ee6....@news.saix.net>, Steve Hayes at
haye...@hotmail.com poured forth...

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:57:32 -0700, don groves <dgr...@domain.net> wrote:
>
> >I've never heard "another thing coming" but do remember "... and
> >another thing, young man, ..." from my mother.
>
> So you *did* have another thing coming, whether you heard it or not.

True. Usually, I felt it.
--
dg (domain=ccwebster)

Areff

Oct 30, 2004, 9:36:31 PM10/30/04
Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:57:32 -0700, don groves <dgr...@domain.net> wrote:
>
>>I've never heard "another thing coming" but do remember "... and
>>another thing, young man, ..." from my mother.
>
> So you *did* have another thing coming, whether you heard it or not.

Seriously, doesn't Don's anecdote demonstrate once and for all that
"another thing" *is* an idiomatic equivalent of "something else"?

don groves

Oct 30, 2004, 10:15:25 PM10/30/04
In article <2uitsvF...@uni-berlin.de>, Areff at
m...@privacy.net poured forth...

Didn't realize I was doing that but, yes.
--
dg (domain=ccwebster)

Donna Richoux

Oct 31, 2004, 5:48:01 AM10/31/04
Areff <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

Nobody ever doubted *that*. People have put the word "another" next to
the word "thing" since Puptor was a heck.

ANGELO: 'Tis one thing to be tempted, Escalus,
Another thing to fall.
-- Measure For Measure, Act II, scene I

QUINCE: Ay; or else one must come in with a bush of thorns and a
lanthorn, and say he comes to disfigure, or to present, the person
of Moonshine. Then, there is another thing: we must have a wall in
the great chamber; for Pyramus and Thisby says the story, did talk
through the chink of a wall.
-- A Midsummer Night's Dream > Act III, scene I

1845 Men sayde eke that arcite sholde not dye
He sholde be helid of his maladye
And of another thing they were feyn
That of hem alle ther was non sleyn
- A Knight's Tale, Canterbury Tales, Chaucer

I really think you'll find our criticism of "another thing coming" was
never on the grounds that "another thing" is bad English.

Your point is quite possibly something else?

--
Best -- Donna Richoux

rzed

Oct 31, 2004, 10:06:16 AM10/31/04
Areff <m...@privacy.net> wrote in

If anything, that would argue against "another thing coming" being
reasonably the equivalent of "another think coming". When people
use a phrase like "another thing, young man..." they are about to
introduce a totally different issue. It's, as you say, something
else.

However, "another think coming" implies that, in regard to a
specific issue, the holder of a given position must come to a
different conclusion. The only different something is the
evaluation of the same context.

--
rzed

Donna Richoux

Oct 31, 2004, 11:48:48 AM10/31/04
Donna Richoux <tr...@euronet.nl> wrote:

> 1845 Men sayde eke that arcite sholde not dye
> He sholde be helid of his maladye
> And of another thing they were feyn
> That of hem alle ther was non sleyn
> - A Knight's Tale, Canterbury Tales, Chaucer

I just looked at this again and saw that "1845" looked like a year.
Nope, that's a line number. Copied from the British Library site:
http://www.cta.dmu.ac.uk/Caxtons/

--
Always another thing -- Donna Richoux

Areff

Nov 1, 2004, 1:16:18 PM11/1/04

But do you realize that there's a widely-used variant of "another thing
coming", "something else coming"?

Ben Zimmer

Nov 1, 2004, 4:17:11 PM11/1/04

Can't remember if we ever looked for early cites for the idiom "(have)
something else coming". Here's one from newspaperarchive.com:

Lima (Ohio) Daily News, November 23, 1913
The oil operators and farmers with royalties should
have a happy thanks ready for Uncle John D. for that
last long boost in the market, but the automobilist
who will be buying gasoline has something else coming.

There's also a 1910 article from the Iowa City Daily Press with the
sentence "Wrestling fans have something else coming, too", but I can't
access the full text to see if this is the idiomatic usage.

rzed

Nov 1, 2004, 6:20:29 PM11/1/04
Ben Zimmer <bgzi...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote in

I don't see this phrase as being strongly connected with "another
thing/think coming". I will grant that "another thing coming" could
be an alternative way to state "something else coming", but the
latter phrase is hardly widespread as an idiom. It looks like a
straightforward use of the words, not a figure of speech. If I say
there's something else coming down the road (or another thing
coming down the road), I'm not using either phrase idiomatically,
or so I contend. It is possible to interpret the Rockefeller
example as an idiomatic expression, but it is also conceivable that
it means what it appears to say: there is some thing other than a
"boost" or benefit coming to the motorist. "Higher prices are
coming in 2005." Is that idiomatic?

To the extent that Google counts contribute to the discussion, it
could be pointed out that "something else coming"occurs a whopping
874 times, and includes, for instance, "the sessions could see
something else coming from the band...", "Wait, there is something
else.... Coming from the South...", and other clearly unidiomatic
uses. "Another thing coming" occurs 13,400 times. "Another think
coming" occurs 8,060 times. Set phrases that only pop up now and
again are not in the same category as cliched phrases that occur
far more frequently.

--
rzed

Areff

Nov 1, 2004, 6:36:42 PM11/1/04
rzed wrote:
> Ben Zimmer <bgzi...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote in
>
>> Areff wrote:
>>>
>>> But do you realize that there's a widely-used variant of
>>> "another thing coming", "something else coming"?
>>
>> Can't remember if we ever looked for early cites for the idiom
>> "(have) something else coming". Here's one from
>> newspaperarchive.com:
>>
>> Lima (Ohio) Daily News, November 23, 1913
>> The oil operators and farmers with royalties should
>> have a happy thanks ready for Uncle John D. for that
>> last long boost in the market, but the automobilist
>> who will be buying gasoline has something else coming.

> I don't see this phrase as being strongly connected with "another

> thing/think coming". I will grant that "another thing coming" could
> be an alternative way to state "something else coming", but the
> latter phrase is hardly widespread as an idiom. It looks like a
> straightforward use of the words, not a figure of speech. If I say
> there's something else coming down the road (or another thing
> coming down the road), I'm not using either phrase idiomatically,
> or so I contend.

But I think this is precisely why "another thing coming" makes sense in
the "If you think .... you've got another thing coming". It's the idea of
"another thing coming 'round the bend", as they say.

rzed

Nov 1, 2004, 7:04:54 PM11/1/04
Areff <m...@privacy.net> wrote in

Well, I guess my understanding and use of "another think coming"
differs from your use of "another thing coming", then. I can't
argue with you too strongly, because I don't see much difference
between "something else coming" and "another thing coming", but I
do see a difference between either and "another think coming" as I
mean that last phrase -- which is, of course, the way "another
think coming" *should* be interpreted (in a perfect world)(by all
right-thinking speakers of the language)(which I know because I
cannot be wrong)(yadda yadda).

But semiseriously, If What You Imply Is True, then I think the
similarity in the phrases is mainly a coincidence. There are
contexts in which either could reasonably be used, to be sure, but
I think it is an error (IWYIIT) to believe that "another thing"
used correctly is equivalent to "another think" used correctly. It
is possible that hearers of either phrase could misinterpret what
they heard and then use the wrong one themselves, and thus
propagate the error.

To try once again to illustrate the difference, consider a boxing
analogy. I'm about to be hit by a left jab, and I know that I have
another thing coming -- a right hook, say. Not the same thing, nor
even directly related.

Now suppose I think I've defended myself against a right hook, but
when it comes I find that I was mistaken. I should re-evaluate that
thought. I have another think coming. The same external
circumstance occurs, but I would do well to reach different
conclusions about it. It's not a case of something else coming. I
knew what was coming, and it did in fact come. My mistake was in
believing that I had it covered.

To the casual observer, my discussing my KO might lead them to
think I had said "another thing" when in fact I said "another
think" -- either sorta works in the context of the other guy
throwing a right hook. But to my by now punch-drunk mind, they are
quite different.

--
rzed

Jess Askin

Nov 1, 2004, 11:49:48 PM11/1/04

"Areff" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Could be... who knows...

Wood Avens

Nov 2, 2004, 5:42:47 AM11/2/04
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 22:49:48 -0600, "Jess Askin"
<nos...@dontbother.net> wrote:

>"Areff" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> But do you realize that there's a widely-used variant of "another thing
>> coming", "something else coming"?
>
>Could be... who knows...

Oh no! How is it that I generally escape the STSs which Laura gets
only to succumb to this one?

--

Katy Jennison

spamtrap: remove the first two letters after the @

Laura F Spira

Nov 2, 2004, 6:14:12 AM11/2/04
Wood Avens wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 22:49:48 -0600, "Jess Askin"
> <nos...@dontbother.net> wrote:
>

>>"Areff" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
>

>>>But do you realize that there's a widely-used variant of "another thing
>>>coming", "something else coming"?
>>
>>Could be... who knows...
>

> Oh no! How is it that I generally escape the STSs which Laura gets
> only to succumb to this one?

Perhaps you are especially susceptible to Bernstein? Unfortunately I
seem to get STS by association and anything from WSS morphs into "I Feel
Pretty" which is extremely irritating and will no doubt haunt me all day
now.

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

Mike Lyle

Nov 2, 2004, 7:39:01 AM11/2/04

Try adopting a positive attitude: in this age of mission-statements,
instead of enduring it as your trial of the day, make it your theme
for the day. Tomorrow, the 1812 Overture, or the Ride of the
Valkyries.

Mike.

Laura F Spira

Nov 2, 2004, 7:53:48 AM11/2/04

Next you'll have me whistling a happy tune and holding my head up
high...but I am leaving for Liverpool shortly and "Penny Lane" has
appropriately ousted "I Feel Pretty". (Once upon a time I used to select
music to listen to on a train journey - now I am sufficiently
technologically advanced to be able to choose a DVD to watch. Amazing.)

Wood Avens

Nov 2, 2004, 5:24:04 PM11/2/04

The daft thing is, I read Jess's post without consciously making the
connection with the song, moved on, and then a few minutes later
realised the song was running in my head, wondered why, and tracked
back to the message. Funny thing, the human brain.

Robert Bannister

Nov 2, 2004, 9:29:30 PM11/2/04
Laura F Spira wrote:

I find STS comes mainly from melodies I don't quite know. For the last
week, I've had one, which I think is from Gilbert & Sullivan, but I only
know about 2 phrases and its DRIVING ME MAD!

--
Rob Bannister

The Grammer Genious

Nov 4, 2004, 10:12:57 PM11/4/04
Mike Barnes wrote:

> Uh, you can actually use either form today because almost everybody
> listening (present company excepted, of course) will hear what they
> expect to hear.

Unless they've never heard it before. In that case, if you
say "thing", that's what they'll hear.

But if you say the original "think", then there is
apparently a small number of auditorily-challenged people
who will incorrectly hear it as "thing".

\\P. Schultz

The Grammer Genious

Nov 4, 2004, 10:15:12 PM11/4/04
Robert Lieblich wrote:

> I'm not participating in this group any more, as most of you know. <...>

Yes, we're sorry that you're not. But we're glad you're
keeping us updated on your non-participation.

\\P. Schultz

JNugent

Nov 5, 2004, 11:39:11 AM11/5/04
Ben Zimmer wrote:

> Another find from Newspaperarchives.com... some time ago Jesse
> Sheidlower gave the earliest known cite for "(have got) another thing
> coming", from 1959:

[ ... ]

> ... The earliest cites I've found for "another think coming" are
> from 1900:

> Daily Iowa State Press, July 7, 1900
> An Iowa county man writes to a Des Moines paper that he
> thinks Capt. J.N.W. Rumple, of Marengo, will be nominated
> by acclamation for Joe R. Lane's place in congress. We
> think the Iowa county man has another think coming.

> Anaconda (Montana) Standard, November 7, 1900
> "I wouldn't trust you judges anyhow. I think you
> flim-flammed him."
> "Well, you've got another think coming if you can stand
> the shock. We ain't like those guys in your party.
> We're on the square."

"On the square" meaning "members of a Masonic lodge"?

---

R H Draney

Nov 5, 2004, 11:56:40 AM11/5/04
JNugent filted:

>Ben Zimmer wrote:
>
>> Anaconda (Montana) Standard, November 7, 1900
>> "I wouldn't trust you judges anyhow. I think you
>> flim-flammed him."
>> "Well, you've got another think coming if you can stand
>> the shock. We ain't like those guys in your party.
>> We're on the square."
>
>"On the square" meaning "members of a Masonic lodge"?'

"I'm one tough gazookus
Which hates all palookas
Wot ain't on the up and square."

This is, of course, the utterance of a less-than-literate person...the
expression should really be "up to square"....r

Jess Askin

Nov 5, 2004, 11:00:42 PM11/5/04

"Wood Avens" <wood...@askjennison.com> wrote in message

Freud would have an explanation for that. Once on a bus I found myself
humming a tune that I couldn't remember the name of for the life of me. As I
was getting off the bus, it came to me: I'm in the Mood for Love. Perfectly
à propos, for reasons I don't propose to go into.

Jess Askin

Nov 6, 2004, 10:10:32 PM11/6/04

"Robert Bannister" <rob...@it.net.au> wrote in message

Nothing venture, nothing win,
Blood is thick, but water's thin,
In for a penny, in for a pound,
It's love that makes the world go round.

The Grammer Genious

Nov 6, 2004, 10:50:40 PM11/6/04
Jess Askin wrote:

>>Laura F Spira wrote:
>>
>>>Perhaps you are especially susceptible to Bernstein? Unfortunately I
>>>seem to get STS by association and anything from WSS morphs into "I Feel
>>>Pretty" which is extremely irritating and will no doubt haunt me all day
>>>now.

> Nothing venture, nothing win,

> Blood is thick, but water's thin,
> In for a penny, in for a pound,
> It's love that makes the world go round.

And I pity any girl who isn't me today.

\\P. Schultz

R H Draney

Nov 7, 2004, 12:12:29 AM11/7/04
The Grammer Genious filted:

>Jess Askin wrote:
>
>> Nothing venture, nothing win,
>> Blood is thick, but water's thin,
>> In for a penny, in for a pound,
>> It's love that makes the world go round.
>
>And I pity any girl who isn't me today.

Your red scarf matches your eyes.
You closed your cover before striking.
Father had the shipfitter blues.
Loving you has made me bananas.

(I can do the bridge from memory too)....r

Jess Askin

Nov 7, 2004, 12:14:29 PM11/7/04

"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

And all this time I thought it was the shitkicker blues!

The Grammer Genious

Nov 7, 2004, 12:44:48 PM11/7/04

I want to feel alive and settle down in my
La Brea Tar Pits
Where nobody's dreams
Come true.

\\P. Schultz

Steve Hayes

Nov 7, 2004, 9:33:21 PM11/7/04

Your eys is like pools
pools of muddy water
Your lips is like petals
bicycle pedals
Your ears is like flowers
cauliflours
Your teeth is like the stars
they come out at night.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm

R H Draney

Nov 7, 2004, 11:01:25 PM11/7/04
Steve Hayes filted:

>On 6 Nov 2004 21:12:29 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>>The Grammer Genious filted:

>>>And I pity any girl who isn't me today.
>>
>>Your red scarf matches your eyes.
>>You closed your cover before striking.
>>Father had the shipfitter blues.
>>Loving you has made me bananas.
>>
>>(I can do the bridge from memory too)....r
>
>Your eys is like pools
>pools of muddy water
>Your lips is like petals
>bicycle pedals
>Your ears is like flowers
>cauliflours
>Your teeth is like the stars
>they come out at night.

(Lord, what have we started now?)...

Thirty days hath Septober,
April, June, and no wonder.
All the rest have peanut butter,
All except my dear grandmother.
She had a little red tricycle.
I stole it! Hahahahahahaha....

....r

don groves

Nov 7, 2004, 11:40:35 PM11/7/04
In article <cmmr2...@drn.newsguy.com>, R H Draney at
dado...@spamcop.net poured forth...

Starkle, starkle, little twink,
What the hell you are, I think.
I'm not under the alcafluence of incahol
like some theeple pink I am.
--
dg (domain=ccwebster)

Robin Bignall

Nov 8, 2004, 7:09:42 AM11/8/04
On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:33:21 GMT, haye...@hotmail.com (Steve Hayes)
wrote:

>On 6 Nov 2004 21:12:29 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>>The Grammer Genious filted:

>>>And I pity any girl who isn't me today.
>>
>>Your red scarf matches your eyes.
>>You closed your cover before striking.
>>Father had the shipfitter blues.
>>Loving you has made me bananas.
>>
>>(I can do the bridge from memory too)....r
>
>Your eys is like pools
>pools of muddy water
>Your lips is like petals
>bicycle pedals
>Your ears is like flowers
>cauliflours
>Your teeth is like the stars
>they come out at night.

You have skin like a peach. (Anybody seen a twenty-year-old peach?)
You look like a million dollars - all green and crinkly.

--

wrmst rgrds
Robin Bignall

Hertfordshire