UUNET's 7th anniversary party

Charles Packer

Apr 22, 1994, 6:51:36 AM4/22/94
In article <2p6s0e$b...@rodan.uu.net>, Michael Byman <by...@uunet.uu.net> wrote:
>In this spirit of pride, we invite you to join UUNET's 7th anniversary
>celebration at UUNET headquarters on May 13, 1994 from 3:00 P.M. to
>6:00 P.M.
>R.S.V.P. to Mary McDonald at 703 204 8024 or
>ma...@uunet.uu.net by May 1, 1994.

And "R.S.V.P" on an invitation means that you're supposed to reply
whether you're attending or not. I'm crossposting this to a couple
of newsgroups where I might be corrected on this if I'm wrong.
In the meantime, would you post the total number of responses you
get...it would give us an idea of how many people read dc.general...
:-)

Henrik Brameus

Apr 25, 1994, 2:20:20 PM4/25/94
In article <2p8a7o$3...@paperboy.gsfc.nasa.gov>, pac...@fermi.gsfc.nasa.gov
(Charles Packer) wrote:

> And "R.S.V.P" on an invitation means that you're supposed to reply
> whether you're attending or not. I'm crossposting this to a couple

This was what I thought as well. But I thought somebody might know what the
abbreviation R.S.V.P. actually means and thereby clarifying this subject.

Henrik
Telephone: +44-31-458 2174 Telefax: +44-31-453 2211
Disclaimer: I am only a representative for myself and nobody else.

Henrik Brameus

Apr 25, 1994, 4:08:52 PM4/25/94
OK, I've already got 2 answers with alternative spelling but the same
contents. For those of you who, like me, didn't know it is French and
means:

Respondez, s'il vous plait (please reply).

This seems to confirm my view that you *have* to reply.

Cheers.

Henrik

P.S. you don't have to continue to mail me about this. :-)

Adrian Riskin

Apr 25, 1994, 11:35:55 AM4/25/94
In article <henrik.brameu...@144.7.60.153>,
henrik....@aldus.com (Henrik Brameus) wrote:

> OK, I've already got 2 answers with alternative spelling but the same
> contents. For those of you who, like me, didn't know it is French and
> means:
>
> Respondez, s'il vous plait (please reply).
>
> This seems to confirm my view that you *have* to reply.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Henrik

We barbarians who don't pretend to knowledge of the vast and mysterious
french tongue prefer to think that it stands for "respond so very promptly"

Regards, Adrian
--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Adrian Riskin

Alan J Flavell

Apr 25, 1994, 3:27:29 PM4/25/94
henrik....@aldus.com (Henrik Brameus) writes:

> ... I thought somebody might know what the

>abbreviation R.S.V.P. actually means and thereby clarifying this subject.

Since we've already been told what it _means_, I am going to assume
you are asking what the letters _stand_for_.

I can't resist commenting that this question has come up several
times on this group, and I don't know why. Even my everyday
English dictionary has a section of common abbreviations, including
this one. Or do we have to assume that posting trivial questions
worldwide on Usenet has replaced the technique of looking it up in
the obvious book?

Anyway, I don't suppose spelling out the French words for which it
stands is really likely to "clarify" the subject for more than
a small proportion of English speakers.

(My Grandfather used to joke that it stood for "Rump Steak and
Veal Pie").

Henrik Brameus

Apr 26, 1994, 6:24:04 AM4/26/94
In article <16FA311FB9...@cernvm.cern.ch>, FLA...@cernvm.cern.ch
(Alan J Flavell) wrote:

> times on this group, and I don't know why. Even my everyday
> English dictionary has a section of common abbreviations, including
> this one. Or do we have to assume that posting trivial questions

Oh, I'm sorry that I don't am a native English speaker and that I don't
happen to have an English dictionary right next to my computer. Or that I
don't have the habit of writing down certain interesting things I see, try
to find uot everything about them on my own hand and then never tell
anybody, but rather sponaneously doing follow-ups to newsnet articles. I'm
sorry.

Stuart Savory

Apr 26, 1994, 8:46:30 AM4/26/94
In article <henrik.brameu...@144.7.60.153> henrik....@aldus.com (Henrik Brameus) writes:

>This was what I thought as well. But I thought somebody might know what the
>abbreviation R.S.V.P. actually means and thereby clarifying this subject.

Respondez, s´il vous plait

(reply, please: in yer actual frog tongue!)

Dr. Stuart Savory savor...@sni.de / savor...@sni-usa.com
"If we knew what it was we were doing,
it would not be called research, would it?". A.Einstein

Miss J S Brierley

Apr 26, 1994, 10:28:00 AM4/26/94
In article <henrik.brameu...@144.7.60.153>,

henrik....@aldus.com (Henrik Brameus) writes:
>In article <2p8a7o$3...@paperboy.gsfc.nasa.gov>, pac...@fermi.gsfc.nasa.gov
>(Charles Packer) wrote:
>
>> And "R.S.V.P" on an invitation means that you're supposed to reply
>> whether you're attending or not. I'm crossposting this to a couple
>
>This was what I thought as well. But I thought somebody might know what the
>abbreviation R.S.V.P. actually means and thereby clarifying this subject.

Respondez s'il vous plait

PAC...@fermi.gsfc.nasa.gov

Apr 22, 1994, 6:51:00 AM4/22/94

In article <2p6s0e$b...@rodan.uu.net>, Michael Byman <by...@uunet.uu.net> wrote:
>In this spirit of pride, we invite you to join UUNET's 7th anniversary
>celebration at UUNET headquarters on May 13, 1994 from 3:00 P.M. to
>6:00 P.M.
>R.S.V.P. to Mary McDonald at 703 204 8024 or
>ma...@uunet.uu.net by May 1, 1994.

And "R.S.V.P" on an invitation means that you're supposed to reply
whether you're attending or not. I'm crossposting this to a couple

Heidi de Wet

Apr 26, 1994, 11:29:09 AM4/26/94
henrik....@aldus.com (Henrik Brameus) writes:
>I thought somebody might know what the
>abbreviation R.S.V.P. actually means and thereby clarifying this subject.

It stands for the French, 'repondez s'il vous plait'.

--
-------- Heidi de Wet ----------------- he...@ucthpx.uct.ac.za --------
"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction

Peter Moylan

Apr 25, 1994, 11:28:28 PM4/25/94
Henrik Brameus (henrik....@aldus.com) wrote:
>In article <2p8a7o$3...@paperboy.gsfc.nasa.gov>, pac...@fermi.gsfc.nasa.gov
>(Charles Packer) wrote:

>> And "R.S.V.P" on an invitation means that you're supposed to reply
>> whether you're attending or not. I'm crossposting this to a couple

>This was what I thought as well. But I thought somebody might know what the
>abbreviation R.S.V.P. actually means and thereby clarifying this subject.

Repondez s'il vous plait = Answer, please.

This is if you're writing in English. The French seem to
use RSLP (Repondre s'il lui plait), which is bit more formal.

--
Peter Moylan pe...@ee.newcastle.edu.au
(also pe...@tesla.newcastle.edu.au, ee...@cc.newcastle.edu.au)