Pronouncing "species".

Bob Martin

Jan 25, 2011, 2:44:12 AM1/25/11

I watched Horizon on BBC2 last night and everyone seemed to pronounce "species"
as spee-sheez. I've always said it as spee-siz, and can't think of another word ending
in -cies which might get that "sheez" treatment.

James Hogg

Jan 25, 2011, 3:12:58 AM1/25/11

The spee-sheez pronunciation is the only one given by Daniel Jones in
his British Pronouncing Dictionary, by Kenyon and Knott in the American
equivalent, and in the OED. The COD has your pronunciation as an
alternative.

Facies is a parallel. The consonant is pronounced as in facial and special.

--
James

Ian Jackson

Jan 25, 2011, 4:12:54 AM1/25/11
In message <ihm0me$qeb$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, James Hogg
<Jas....@gOUTmail.com> writes
In practice, I think you'll find that British pronunciation tends to
drift between 'spee-sheez' and 'spee-shiz'.
--
Ian

Stan Brown

Jan 25, 2011, 4:48:56 AM1/25/11

I've never heard it any other way than -sheez, except on TV
originating in the UK.

AHD4 has "shez, sez" in writing, but its audio has only -shez. (All
the e's have macrons on them, of course.)

The word for coin (as opposed to paper currency), specie, gets the
same treatment.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Stan Brown

Jan 25, 2011, 4:49:46 AM1/25/11

And facie also: I've heard only -sh- in the phrase "prima facie".

Bob Martin

Jan 25, 2011, 7:12:49 AM1/25/11

Yes, I've heard "spee-shiz" (Southern England and I'm almost 70) but not noticed
"spee-sheez" before.

M'lud, I refer you to http://itools.subhashbose.com/wordfind/ending-with/cies

John Dunlop

Jan 25, 2011, 7:28:40 AM1/25/11
Ian Jackson:

(re the pron. of "species")

> In practice, I think you'll find that British pronunciation tends to
> drift between 'spee-sheez' and 'spee-shiz'.

The Longman Pronunciation Dictionary notes that some speakers pronounce
the singular with "iz" and the plural with "eez".

--
John

Bob Martin

Jan 25, 2011, 7:39:28 AM1/25/11

My original query was about the pronunciation of the letter "c" in "species".

James Hogg

Jan 25, 2011, 8:13:42 AM1/25/11

Conversations tend to drift here. I think we have established that most
people use a "sh" sound, as in "special".

--
James

MC

Jan 25, 2011, 8:29:58 AM1/25/11
In article <ihmiaa$nc2$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
James Hogg <Jas....@gOUTmail.com> wrote:

> Conversations tend to drift here. I think we have established that most
> people use a "sh" sound, as in "special".

When I first crossed the pond (R->L) I pronounced "issue" as "iSSue" but
now I say "iSHue"

--

"If you can, tell me something happy."
- Marybones

Ian Jackson

Jan 25, 2011, 8:40:48 AM1/25/11
In message <ihmiaa$nc2$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, James Hogg
<Jas....@gOUTmail.com> writes
I think that everybody says 'sh' in "special".

There are variations in the pronunciation of "speciality"
('spesh-ee-al-i-tee' vs 'speshal-tee', but the "ci" is still a 'sh'.

There are several other words where "ci" gets a 'sh':
spacious
specious
precious
facial
provincial
etc.
But I can't instantly think of those with a "cie".
--
Ian

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Jan 25, 2011, 8:50:24 AM1/25/11
On 2011-01-25 14:40:48 +0100, Ian Jackson
<ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> said:

I think the old "i before e except after c" rule gets rid of most of them.

The SOED allows "cieling" as a spelling of "ceiling" but I've never
seen it spelled like that.

--
athel

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Jan 25, 2011, 8:53:20 AM1/25/11

The -seez pronunciation is less common, but it's not unknown,
especially (it is my impression) among those who use the word a lot.

I don't think I use either to the complete exclusion of the other.

--
athel

James Silverton

Jan 25, 2011, 9:03:31 AM1/25/11
Stan wrote on Tue, 25 Jan 2011 04:49:46 -0500:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:12:58 +0100, James Hogg wrote:
>>
>> Bob Martin wrote:
> >> I watched Horizon on BBC2 last night and everyone seemed to
> >> pronounce "species" as spee-sheez. I've always said it as
> >> spee-siz, and can't think of another word ending in -cies
> >> which might get that "sheez" treatment.
>>
>> The spee-sheez pronunciation is the only one given by Daniel
>> Jones in his British Pronouncing Dictionary, by Kenyon and
>> Knott in the American equivalent, and in the OED. The COD
>> has your pronunciation as an alternative.
>>
>> Facies is a parallel. The consonant is pronounced as in
>> facial and special.

> And facie also: I've heard only -sh- in the phrase "prima facie".

It's the only pronunciation I recall in US usage for "prima facie" and
the "c" in species is usually pronounced as /s/. What other common use
for "facie" is there except for "prima facie"? Strangely enough, the
/S/ pronunciation for "species" comes to my mind in the name of
Darwin's book but the "s" in technical discussion of species.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

R H Draney

Jan 25, 2011, 1:53:44 PM1/25/11
Ian Jackson filted:

"Ancient", "proficient", and others with the "-cient" ending....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Skitt

Jan 25, 2011, 3:07:40 PM1/25/11
Stan Brown wrote:
> Bob Martin wrote:

>> I watched Horizon on BBC2 last night and everyone seemed to
>> pronounce "species" as spee-sheez. I've always said it as spee-siz,
>> and can't think of another word ending in -cies which might get
>> that "sheez" treatment.
>
> I've never heard it any other way than -sheez, except on TV
> originating in the UK.
>
> AHD4 has "shez, sez" in writing, but its audio has only -shez. (All
> the e's have macrons on them, of course.)
>
> The word for coin (as opposed to paper currency), specie, gets the
> same treatment.

I say it with an s, not sh. Maybe I'm weird.

Just in the last few days I heard people on TV pronouncing the word
"groceries" as grosheries. Is that unusual, or have I been missing a
lot of what's being said?
--
Skitt (SF Bay Area)
http://come.to/skitt

MC

Jan 25, 2011, 3:14:17 PM1/25/11
In article <ihnaib$ii$1...@news.albasani.net>, Skitt <ski...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Just in the last few days I heard people on TV pronouncing the word
> "groceries" as grosheries. Is that unusual, or have I been missing a
> lot of what's being said?

Maybe it was Sean Connery?

Joe Fineman

Jan 25, 2011, 3:31:00 PM1/25/11
Bob Martin <bob.m...@excite.com> writes:

Dogs in the country have fun.
They run and run and run.
But in the city this species
Is dragged around on leashes. -- Ogden Nash
--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: The nail that sticks up gets hammered down, or something :||
||: gets hung on it, or it gets pulled out. :||

Garrett Wollman

Jan 25, 2011, 3:48:08 PM1/25/11
In article <ihnaib$ii$1...@news.albasani.net>, Skitt <ski...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Just in the last few days I heard people on TV pronouncing the word
>"groceries" as grosheries. Is that unusual, or have I been missing a
>lot of what's being said?

Sounds unusual (there's another one) to me. But let's not forget that
/s/ and /S/ are extremely close in their point of articulation; in
some languages they are the same phoneme.

-GAWollman
--
Garrett A. Wollman | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
wol...@bimajority.org| repeated, than the story of a large research program

Jerry Friedman

Jan 25, 2011, 5:44:47 PM1/25/11

Common in my youth. I might say it. When I was in college, there was
a popular local band called the Groceries, and one or two of my
friends called them "the Shrees". (This was the early '80s, the era
of za with roni and shrooms.)

--
Jerry Friedman
Hire high school girls!

John Varela

Jan 25, 2011, 5:54:58 PM1/25/11
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:20:15 UTC, Lewis
<g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> In message <MPG.27a8668fb...@news.individual.net>

> Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:44:12 GMT, Bob Martin wrote:
> >>
> >> I watched Horizon on BBC2 last night and everyone seemed to
> >> pronounce "species" as spee-sheez. I've always said it as spee-siz,
> >> and can't think of another word ending in -cies which might get
> >> that "sheez" treatment.
>
> > I've never heard it any other way than -sheez, except on TV
> > originating in the UK.
>

> I've been whispering it to myself whilst following along and people
> around me are starting to wonder what the hell is wrong with me, so.
>
> I say Spee-seez; I might sometimes lisp it to a slight sheez sound,
> but not normally. It is exactly like feces or Aziz.

I'm pleased to see that we agree on something.

--
John Varela

rwalker

Jan 25, 2011, 10:40:00 PM1/25/11
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:07:40 -0800, Skitt <ski...@comcast.net> wrote:

>I say it with an s, not sh. Maybe I'm weird.
>
>Just in the last few days I heard people on TV pronouncing the word
>"groceries" as grosheries. Is that unusual, or have I been missing a
>lot of what's being said?
>--
>Skitt (SF Bay Area)
>http://come.to/skitt

Not to my ears. I'm in upstate New York, lived all around the U.S.,
have a Ph.D. in biological sciences, and virtually everyone I talk to
and work with, including many biological scientists of various
specialties, says it with an "s" not an "sh."

CDB

Jan 26, 2011, 9:34:50 AM1/26/11
R H Draney wrote:
> Ian Jackson filted:

>> James Hogg
>> <Jas....@gOUTmail.com> writes

>>> Conversations tend to drift here. I think we have established
>>> that most people use a "sh" sound, as in "special".
>>>
>> I think that everybody says 'sh' in "special".

It's an assimilated version of / sj/ ("s" followed by a "y" sound)
similar in principle to the middle bit of "injun". I wonder if anyone
pronounces "species" / spi:sji:z/ or / spi:si?i:z/.

>> There are variations in the pronunciation of "speciality"
>> ('spesh-ee-al-i-tee' vs 'speshal-tee', but the "ci" is still a
>> 'sh'.
>>
>> There are several other words where "ci" gets a 'sh':
>> spacious
>> specious
>> precious
>> facial
>> provincial
>> etc.
>> But I can't instantly think of those with a "cie".
>
> "Ancient", "proficient", and others with the "-cient" ending....r

Inflected forms of words ending in "cy": lacier, mercies, fancied.

James Hogg

Jan 26, 2011, 9:36:09 AM1/26/11

I've never heard any of those pronounced with "sh".

--
James

CDB

Jan 26, 2011, 9:58:57 AM1/26/11
True. Careless reading.

Jerry Friedman

Jan 26, 2011, 10:35:31 AM1/26/11
On Jan 25, 11:20 am, Lewis <g.kr...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> In message <MPG.27a8668fb8d060f298c...@news.individual.net>

>   Stan Brown <the_stan_br...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:44:12 GMT, Bob Martin wrote:
>
> >> I watched Horizon on BBC2 last night and everyone seemed to
> >> pronounce "species" as spee-sheez. I've always said it as spee-siz,
> >> and can't think of another word ending in -cies which might get
> >> that "sheez" treatment.
> > I've never heard it any other way than -sheez, except on TV
> > originating in the UK.
>
> I've been whispering it to myself whilst following along and people
> around me are starting to wonder what the hell is wrong with me, so.
>
> I say Spee-seez; I might sometimes lisp it to a slight sheez sound,
> but not normally. It is exactly like feces or Aziz.

I suppose I should point out that a lot of Americans pronounce "feces"
as "fee-sheez" /'fiSiz/. I'd guess that's from the influence of
"species".

I think I might say either /'spisiz/ or /'spiSiz/.

--
Jerry Friedman

Message has been deleted

Mike Lyle

Jan 26, 2011, 11:34:20 AM1/26/11

I say "pr-eye-ma facey". But "speesheez". Further on "species",
numerous packers of bulbs for the British market print "specie
crocuses" on the label - perhaps to reassure us that we're not going
to open the bag and find only a crocual promissory note.

--
Mike.

Roland Hutchinson

Jan 26, 2011, 11:44:07 AM1/26/11
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:34:20 +0000, Mike Lyle wrote:

> I say "pr-eye-ma facey". But "speesheez". Further on "species", numerous
> packers of bulbs for the British market print "specie crocuses" on the
> label - perhaps to reassure us that we're not going to open the bag and
> find only a crocual promissory note.

Ah, the promise of spring.

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
... comparable to being ruler of an exceptionally small duchy.
--Newark (NJ) Star Ledger ( http://tinyurl.com/RolandIsNJ )

Stan Brown

Jan 26, 2011, 1:48:13 PM1/26/11
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:35:31 -0800 (PST), Jerry Friedman wrote:
> I suppose I should point out that a lot of Americans pronounce "feces"
> as "fee-sheez" /'fiSiz/. I'd guess that's from the influence of
> "species".

Really? I've never heard that (mid-Atlantic and Midwest), and AHD4
gives only the "s" sound.

What region are you in?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

rwalker

Jan 26, 2011, 4:18:37 PM1/26/11
<jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I suppose I should point out that a lot of Americans pronounce "feces"
>as "fee-sheez" /'fiSiz/. I'd guess that's from the influence of
>"species".
>
>I think I might say either /'spisiz/ or /'spiSiz/.
>
>--
>Jerry Friedman

What part of the U.S. are you in? I've never heard that for feces. As
I pointed out in another post, I work in the biological sciences, and
never hear species with the "sh" sound.

Am. E.
New York.
Massachusetts
Illinois
Arkansas
West Virginia
Maryland
Ohio.

Robin Bignall

Jan 26, 2011, 5:07:42 PM1/26/11
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:44:07 +0000 (UTC), Roland Hutchinson
<my.sp...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:34:20 +0000, Mike Lyle wrote:
>
>> I say "pr-eye-ma facey". But "speesheez". Further on "species", numerous
>> packers of bulbs for the British market print "specie crocuses" on the
>> label - perhaps to reassure us that we're not going to open the bag and
>> find only a crocual promissory note.
>
>Ah, the promise of spring.

Cuckoo, both of you.
--
Robin Bignall
(BrE)

R H Draney

Jan 26, 2011, 9:13:15 PM1/26/11
Robin Bignall filted:

>On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:44:07 +0000 (UTC), Roland Hutchinson
><my.sp...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:34:20 +0000, Mike Lyle wrote:
>>
>>> I say "pr-eye-ma facey". But "speesheez". Further on "species", =

>numerous
>>> packers of bulbs for the British market print "specie crocuses" on the
>>> label - perhaps to reassure us that we're not going to open the bag =

>and
>>> find only a crocual promissory note.
>>
>>Ah, the promise of spring.
>
>Cuckoo, both of you.

How lhude!...r

Mark Brader

Jan 27, 2011, 12:16:59 AM1/27/11
Bob Martin:

>>> I watched Horizon on BBC2 last night and everyone seemed to
>>> pronounce "species" as spee-sheez. I've always said it as spee-siz,

Weird. "Spee-seez", of course.

"Lewis":

> I say Spee-seez; I might sometimes lisp it to a slight sheez sound,
> but not normally. It is exactly like feces

Yep.

> or Aziz.

Huh? "Aziz" is "a-ZEEZ" or "uh-ZEEZ".
--
Mark Brader | "I've just checked my dictionary, though, and it does
m...@vex.net | not agree with me, which just goes to show how wrong

Jerry Friedman

Jan 27, 2011, 12:35:25 AM1/27/11
On Jan 26, 11:48 am, Stan Brown <the_stan_br...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:35:31 -0800 (PST), Jerry Friedman wrote:
> > I suppose I should point out that a lot of Americans pronounce "feces"
> > as "fee-sheez" /'fiSiz/.  I'd guess that's from the influence of
> > "species".
>
> Really?  I've never heard that (mid-Atlantic and Midwest), and AHD4
> gives only the "s" sound.
>
> What region are you in?

New Mexico, but I think I heard it more in Cleveland, where I grew up,
and maybe in college in New Jersey and grad school in Illinois.

--
Jerry Friedman

Message has been deleted

James Hogg

Jan 27, 2011, 3:01:40 AM1/27/11
Lewis wrote:
> In message <WdednRqXzqlWYt3Q...@vex.net>
> Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>> Bob Martin:
>
>> Weird. "Spee-seez", of course.
>
>> "Lewis":
>>> I say Spee-seez; I might sometimes lisp it to a slight sheez sound,
>>> but not normally. It is exactly like feces
>
>> Yep.
>
>>> or Aziz.
>
>> Huh? "Aziz" is "a-ZEEZ" or "uh-ZEEZ".
>
> I say "A-seez"

I notice that Obama in SOTU pronounced Tunisian to rhyme with Venetian.
Is this normal in the USA?

--
James

Skitt

Jan 27, 2011, 12:39:14 PM1/27/11
James Hogg wrote:
> Lewis wrote:

>> Mark Brader wrote:
>>> Bob Martin:

>>> Weird. "Spee-seez", of course.
>>
>>> "Lewis":
>>
>>> Yep.

>>> Huh? "Aziz" is "a-ZEEZ" or "uh-ZEEZ".
>>
>> I say "A-seez"
>
> I notice that Obama in SOTU pronounced Tunisian to rhyme with Venetian.
> Is this normal in the USA?

Yup. What else?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/audio.php?file=ggtuni03&word=Tunisian&text=\-zh%28%C4%93-%29%C9%99n\

Jerry Friedman

Jan 27, 2011, 12:57:29 PM1/27/11
On Jan 27, 10:39 am, Skitt <skit...@comcast.net> wrote:
> James Hogg wrote:

> > I notice that Obama in SOTU pronounced Tunisian to rhyme with Venetian.
> > Is this normal in the USA?
>
> Yup.  What else?
>

> http://www.merriam-webster.com/audio.php?file=ggtuni03&word=Tunisian&...-zh%28%C4%93-%29%C9%99n\

I'd expect it to rhyme with "lesion"--the sibilant is voiced. /
tu'niZ@n/, or for some, /tju'niZ@n/. I noticed that in the bits of
BBC news I hear, the announcers use four syllables.

--
Jerry Friedman

John Dunlop

Jan 27, 2011, 1:09:24 PM1/27/11
Skitt:

The LPD gives the main BrE pronunciation as /tju'nIzi@n/ ("tyoo-NIHZ-ee-an").

--
John

James Hogg

Jan 27, 2011, 1:15:00 PM1/27/11

Tue-NIZZY-an for me

--
James

Mike Lyle

Jan 27, 2011, 2:39:28 PM1/27/11
On 26 Jan 2011 18:13:15 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net>
wrote:

Before you try another one like that, swallow.

--
Mike.

Robin Bignall

Jan 27, 2011, 4:36:51 PM1/27/11
On 26 Jan 2011 18:13:15 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote:

<Heh! Like it.>

John Holmes

Jan 28, 2011, 7:12:24 AM1/28/11

There is also 'facies', as in this sense:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facies
I've only ever heard that pronounced with -sheez.

--
Regards
John

Mike Lyle

Jan 28, 2011, 12:58:53 PM1/28/11
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 23:12:24 +1100, "John Holmes" <see...@instead.com>
wrote:

>Mike Lyle wrote:
[...]

>> I say "pr-eye-ma facey". But "speesheez". Further on "species",
>> numerous packers of bulbs for the British market print "specie
>> crocuses" on the label - perhaps to reassure us that we're not going
>> to open the bag and find only a crocual promissory note.
>
>There is also 'facies', as in this sense:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facies
>I've only ever heard that pronounced with -sheez.

Ah, a nice new word: thanks, John.

--
Mike.

Dr Nick

Feb 4, 2011, 3:16:17 AM2/4/11
MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> writes:

> In article <ihnaib$ii$1...@news.albasani.net>, Skitt <ski...@comcast.net>

> wrote:
>
>> Just in the last few days I heard people on TV pronouncing the word
>> "groceries" as grosheries. Is that unusual, or have I been missing a
>> lot of what's being said?
>

> Maybe it was Sean Connery?

Wouldn't he say "messhagesh"?

Evan Kirshenbaum

Feb 4, 2011, 12:04:54 PM2/4/11
Dr Nick <3-no...@temporary-address.org.uk> writes:

> MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> writes:
>
>> Skitt <ski...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Just in the last few days I heard people on TV pronouncing the
>>> word "groceries" as grosheries. Is that unusual, or have I been
>>> missing a lot of what's being said?
>>
>> Maybe it was Sean Connery?
>
> Wouldn't he say "messhagesh"?

That's madness.

Still with HP Labs |A handgun is like a Lawyer. You
SF Bay Area (1982-) |don't want it lying around where
Chicago (1964-1982) |the children might be exposed to
evan.kir...@gmail.com |it RIGHT NOW, and nothing else will
http://www.kirshenbaum.net/ | Bill McNutt