Eggcorn: outer body experience

Mickwick

Aug 30, 2005, 2:37:23 PM8/30/05
A where-are-they-now postscript printed on the screen just before the
closing credits of _Brothers_, a low-budget British film about three
pairs of brothers who fly to Greece to get pissed and talk a load of
bollocks, says something like:

Luke stopped drinking and became a priest as a result of his
outer body experience in prison.

Now, _Brothers_ is a real stinker. It is, for example, extremely
unlikely that anyone unconnected with the film-makers and their mothers
could watch the prison scene and find anything there that might indicate
an out-of-body experience. (I thought Luke was hung-over yet again and
didn't fancy eating his breakfast because he had vomited on it.) But as
sure as axis X, that's what the postscript meant: outer body =
out-of-body.

*

Ah!

This one isn't in the eggcorn database but someone at the Language Log
mentioned it last year.

It is also common enough for a Google with [outer-body-experience] to
yield a sponsored link to a site peddling advice about out-of-body
experiences.

--
Mickwick,
who has had an abdominal hernia, if that counts. (A six-foot girlfriend punched

R H Draney

Aug 30, 2005, 3:30:45 PM8/30/05
Mickwick filted:

>It is also common enough for a Google with [outer-body-experience] to
>yield a sponsored link to a site peddling advice about out-of-body
>experiences.

What kind of advice would that be, I wonder?..."make sure they stamp your astral
wrist so you can get back in later"?...r

Jess Askin

Aug 30, 2005, 7:34:45 PM8/30/05

"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

"Don't take any luggage that has to be checked."

--
Jess Askin
Iowa, USA

Jim Lawton

Aug 31, 2005, 2:25:24 AM8/31/05
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:37:23 +0100, Mickwick <gro...@reply-to.domain> wrote:

>A where-are-they-now postscript printed on the screen just before the
>closing credits of _Brothers_, a low-budget British film about three
>pairs of brothers who fly to Greece to get pissed and talk a load of
>bollocks, says something like:
>
> Luke stopped drinking and became a priest as a result of his
> outer body experience in prison.
>
>Now, _Brothers_ is a real stinker.

But you got to that closing-credits postscript eh? Good on you mate!

--
Jim
"a single species has come to dominate ...

Robert Bannister

Aug 31, 2005, 9:16:05 PM8/31/05
Jim Lawton wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:37:23 +0100, Mickwick <gro...@reply-to.domain> wrote:
>

>>A where-are-they-now postscript printed on the screen just before the
>>closing credits of _Brothers_, a low-budget British film about three
>>pairs of brothers who fly to Greece to get pissed and talk a load of
>>bollocks, says something like:
>>
>> Luke stopped drinking and became a priest as a result of his
>> outer body experience in prison.
>>
>>Now, _Brothers_ is a real stinker.
>

> But you got to that closing-credits postscript eh? Good on you mate!

Re. egghorns, and from a stinker of a letter to the Editor, what's your
take on "bottom-feeding terrorist scum"? A mixed metaphor, or is scum
now a skunked word?

--
Rob Bannister

Ben Zimmer

Sep 1, 2005, 1:48:21 AM9/1/05
Mickwick wrote:

> This one isn't in the eggcorn database but someone at the Language Log
> mentioned it last year.
>
> It is also common enough for a Google with [outer-body-experience] to
> yield a sponsored link to a site peddling advice about out-of-body
> experiences.

It's in the database now...

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/555/outer/

Steve Hayes

Sep 1, 2005, 8:47:29 AM9/1/05
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:16:05 +0800, Robert Bannister <rob...@it.net.au> wrote:

>Re. egghorns, and from a stinker of a letter to the Editor, what's your
>take on "bottom-feeding terrorist scum"? A mixed metaphor, or is scum
>now a skunked word?

They are the scum of the earth, the dregs of society.

I'm reminded of the old revue "Farce about Uys", in which Evita Bezuidenhout
(our very own Dame Edna, but far more couth), the Ambassador to the
Independent Homeland of Bapetikosweti, is having an argument with her maid.
They are circling round the diningroom table (the border between South Africa
and Bapetikosweti runs through the middle of the table):

Evita: The National Party is the cream of society.
Maid: Yes, rich and thick and full of clots.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm

mark

Sep 2, 2005, 3:43:43 AM9/2/05
Legend tells of a time when the mysterious hermit Robert Bannister of
rob...@it.net.au returned briefly from exile to say ...

> Re. egghorns, and from a stinker of a letter to the Editor, what's your
> take on "bottom-feeding terrorist scum"? A mixed metaphor, or is scum
> now a skunked word?

Cannibalistic scum.

--
"When replying to Nigerian lawyers that offer millions in return for a
£50 000 finders fee, only send half the money. Keep the rest until you

R H Draney

Sep 2, 2005, 10:11:43 AM9/2/05
mark filted:

>Legend tells of a time when the mysterious hermit Robert Bannister of=20

>rob...@it.net.au returned briefly from exile to say ...
>> Re. egghorns, and from a stinker of a letter to the Editor, what's your=
>=20
>> take on "bottom-feeding terrorist scum"? A mixed metaphor, or is scum=20

>> now a skunked word?
>
>Cannibalistic scum.

Too "red in tooth and claw" for the meaning intended...how about "scum de la
scum"?...r

Mickwick

Sep 2, 2005, 11:03:33 AM9/2/05
In alt.usage.english, Jim Lawton wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:37:23 +0100, Mickwick <gro...@reply-to.domain> wrote:

>>Now, _Brothers_ is a real stinker.
>
>But you got to that closing-credits postscript eh? Good on you mate!

So I felt like shouting at the telly for an hour or so. Is that so very
wrong?

--
Mickwick

Robert Bannister

Sep 2, 2005, 8:45:03 PM9/2/05
My point was that scum usually rises to the top (as can be seen in
government), so that "bottom-feeding" seems an odd accompaniment.

--
Rob Bannister