76 eggcorn

Will

Oct 3, 2005, 6:06:30 PM10/3/05
Heard (or rather seen on 888 subtitles) in tonight's opening episode of
the two-part "Class of '76", starring Robert Carlyle:

"There's a fair few maybes being branded about".

Will.

Chris Waigl

Oct 3, 2005, 8:51:30 PM10/3/05

Yep, hundreds of those are out there. Here's one that explicitly links
the verb to brands:

"They created a brand and branded it about, long before marketing theory
had fully embraced such a philosophy."

Entry with attribution:
<http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/612/branded/>

Chris Waigl

--
blog: http://serendipity.lascribe.net/
eggcorns: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

Pat Durkin

Oct 4, 2005, 11:35:56 AM10/4/05

"Chris Waigl" <cwa...@free.fr> wrote in message

> Will wrote:
> > Heard (or rather seen on 888 subtitles) in tonight's opening episode of
> > the two-part "Class of '76", starring Robert Carlyle:
> >
> > "There's a fair few maybes being branded about".
>
> Yep, hundreds of those are out there. Here's one that explicitly links
> the verb to brands:
>
> "They created a brand and branded it about, long before marketing theory
> had fully embraced such a philosophy."
>
> Entry with attribution:
> <http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/612/branded/>

It's pretty clear that "bandied" is undergoing some evolution.

Here's something I heard (from one of those cable TV blondes--Rita Coolidge
or Linda Bloom, I think) just yesterday: "pawned off" instead of "palmed
off." I suspect that the disappearing of the "l" in "palm", and the strong
"d off" syllable may be causing some confusion of words. After all, the
resultant meaning isn't distant.

Donna Richoux

Oct 4, 2005, 1:37:42 PM10/4/05
Pat Durkin <durk...@nothome.com> wrote:

> Here's something I heard (from one of those cable TV blondes--Rita Coolidge
> or Linda Bloom, I think) just yesterday: "pawned off" instead of "palmed
> off." I suspect that the disappearing of the "l" in "palm", and the strong
> "d off" syllable may be causing some confusion of words. After all, the
> resultant meaning isn't distant.

Wait a minute, that's a really old one. Merriam-Webster has:

Main Entry: pawn off
Function: transitive verb
Date: 1832
: to get rid of or pass off usually by deception :
PALM OFF

It says that "palm off" is about the same age, so these must have
*always* been confused:

Main Entry: palm off
Function: transitive verb
Date: 1822
1 : to dispose of usually by trickery or guile
2 : PASS OFF 2 <palming himself off as a minister --
Toni Morrison>

--
Best -- Donna Richoux

Mike Lyle

Oct 4, 2005, 2:14:11 PM10/4/05
Donna Richoux wrote:
[...]

> Wait a minute, that's a really old one. Merriam-Webster has:
>

> Main Entry: pawn off
> Function: transitive verb
> Date: 1832
> : to get rid of or pass off usually by deception :
> PALM OFF

Older yet, it seems. Partridge, _D.Hist.Sl._ calls it an error for
_palm_ dating from about 1785 -- but unfortunately without a quot.
The 1832 date is presumably Partridge's quot. from Marryatt.

> It says that "palm off" is about the same age, so these must have
> *always* been confused:
>

> Main Entry: palm off
> Function: transitive verb
> Date: 1822
> 1 : to dispose of usually by trickery or guile
> 2 : PASS OFF 2 <palming himself off as a minister

I guess this is an extension of the thieves' trick of "palming"
things: Partridge gives "palming-racket" from 1812 or earlier.
Conjurors and card-sharps also "palm".

--
Mike.

Joe Fineman

Oct 4, 2005, 9:16:19 PM10/4/05
I suppose I should have crossposted from soc.motss my sighting of a
lascivious request for a "protean lunch". (Turns to a salami whenever
the whim bites.)
--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: You need two out of three: altitude, airspeed, and a brain. :||

Chris Waigl

Oct 5, 2005, 6:54:33 AM10/5/05
Joe Fineman wrote:
> I suppose I should have crossposted from soc.motss my sighting of a
> lascivious request for a "protean lunch". (Turns to a salami whenever
> the whim bites.)

Um, I think this is an eggcorn only for those who are familiar with
Greek mythology: if you don't know the story of Proteus, it's only a
misspelling with an unintentional side meaning that amuses those in the
know.

Chris Waigl
who didn't see this on soc.motss
and don't crosspost, please