=SDC= Results

jerry_f...@yahoo.com

Oct 22, 2007, 6:36:05 PM10/22/07
There has been a minor failure of communication or two among the
Panel, not to mention two retirements, but the results are available
at last. The Panel congratulates Vinny Burgoo (or whatever his name
is), the winner of the 2007 SDC! We thank all those who participated,
including those who came oh-so-close to getting on the Sheepboard, and
I thank my valued and now former fellow Panelists, Adrian and Michael.

Results (unless I've made a mistake):

Vinny Burgoo 114
CDB 103
Evan Kirshenbaum 90
Rick Zantow 85
Roland Hutchinson 66
LaReina del Perros 50
franzi 50
Ray (mUs1Ka) 45
Jerome (badynfo) 40
Bill Latvin 35
Lars Eighner 31
R H Draney 30
David the Omrud 30
Alec Kojaev 30
Arfur Million 20
Frances Kemmish 10
Dominic Bojarski 10
Father Ignatius 10
Sally Tighe 10
Grip 10
Anne McGuire 10
Taken Event 10
Jitze Couperus 5
Richard Maurer 1
Paul Wolff 1

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Scorer

Will

Oct 23, 2007, 5:27:32 AM10/23/07
On Oct 22, 11:36 pm, "jerry_fried...@yahoo.com"

Where are the answers?

Will.

The aue webmaster

Oct 23, 2007, 6:46:11 AM10/23/07
In alt.usage.english, Will wrote:
>On Oct 22, 11:36 pm, "jerry_fried...@yahoo.com"
><jerry_fried...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> There has been a minor failure of communication or two among the
>> Panel, not to mention two retirements, but the results are available
>> at last. The Panel congratulates Vinny Burgoo (or whatever his name
>> is), the winner of the 2007 SDC! We thank all those who participated,
>> including those who came oh-so-close to getting on the Sheepboard, and
>> I thank my valued and now former fellow Panelists, Adrian and Michael.
>>
>> Results (unless I've made a mistake):
>>
>>[...]
>
>Where are the answers?

They will be published on the alt-usage-english.org web site as soon as
all the relevant information has been assembled.

--
Mike Barnes
Webmaster, http://alt-usage-english.org/

The aue webmaster

Oct 24, 2007, 5:18:32 AM10/24/07

The questions, answers, scoreboard, and position table are now ready for
viewing at

http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2007/

--
Mike Barnes
Webmaster,

Archie Valparaiso

Oct 24, 2007, 7:38:20 AM10/24/07

Ha! Yet again, Mr Lyle fails to beat me, I note with not
inconsiderable relie...er I mean interest.

--
Archie Valparaiso

Archie Valparaiso

Oct 24, 2007, 7:56:55 AM10/24/07

I missed it this year, and checking now I think I was wise; it would
have been Nool Pwans City again.

I did have a (dead easy) question, though, that I typically forgot to
send to the organisers:

Junior Choice
----------------

Which is the odd one out and why:

1. Charlie Drake - My Boomerang Won't Come Back
2. Beatles - Yellow Submarine
3. Rolf Harris - Jake The Peg
4. Andy Stewart - Donald Where's Yer Troosers
5. Mandy Moore - Nellie The Elephant
6. Bernard Cribbins - Right Said Fred

(Note for Puzzled Cousins: Junior Choice was a radio programme for
children, on which all of the above funtabulous reckids used to
feature heavily.)

--
Archie Valparaiso

Mike Lyle

Oct 24, 2007, 11:46:32 AM10/24/07

Well, of course I hadn't given the matter a moment's thought, but I did
wonder if my tail-end contributions to the crossword might have merited
a cutlet, or at least a lamburger. Be that as it may, Sñr Valparaiso's
conspicuous failure to trouble the scorer is in itself sufficient
rew...disappointment.

--
Mike.

Vinny Burgoo

Oct 24, 2007, 1:23:14 PM10/24/07
In alt.usage.english, jerry_f...@yahoo.com wrote:

>There has been a minor failure of communication or two among the
>Panel, not to mention two retirements, but the results are available
>at last. The Panel congratulates Vinny Burgoo (or whatever his name
>is), the winner of the 2007 SDC! We thank all those who participated,
>including those who came oh-so-close to getting on the Sheepboard, and
>I thank my valued and now former fellow Panelists, Adrian and Michael.
>
>Results (unless I've made a mistake):

[...]

This is embarrassing. One doesn't play these things to win, you know.
(Are you sure I did? I was miles behind, last time a list was posted.)

Where's Zimmer when you need him?

(Does anyone remember which question had that picture of two bridges
flying red pennants. I'd love to know what that was.)

I'd like to thank my drinking shrew, the voles who stock my underpants with
nuts, sundry other rodents and, of course, the Panel

Father Ignatius

Oct 24, 2007, 1:26:28 PM10/24/07
Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> het geskryf:

> (Does anyone remember which question had that picture of
> two bridges flying red pennants. I'd love to know what
> that was.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aue

Lars Eighner

Oct 24, 2007, 1:42:17 PM10/24/07
In our last episode,
<NbadnfVVj_t...@saix.net>,
the lovely and talented Father Ignatius
broadcast on alt.usage.english:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aue

Bad Schlema. Bad, bad schlema!

--
Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> <http://myspace.com/larseighner>
Countdown: 453 days to go.

Vinny Burgoo

Oct 24, 2007, 1:56:13 PM10/24/07

Kinnell! Hidden in plain sight.

Will

Oct 24, 2007, 3:39:13 PM10/24/07

The answer to Q10 ("... can you tell you tell us what its first word
is?") is missing - you do tell us where to look, but my copy of "The
Rotter's Club" is in a box. One of several dozen boxes, as a matter
of fact.

And while we're at it, what's a "slug line"? Google doesn't help.

Will.

Lars Eighner

Oct 24, 2007, 4:04:18 PM10/24/07
In our last episode, <1193254753....@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
the lovely and talented Will broadcast on alt.usage.english:

> And while we're at it, what's a "slug line"? Google doesn't help.

In the days of hot type, a slug line was a line of type with a short title
or code, identifying a galley (a long tray of type), such as LA Fire, LA
Fire 1st ADD, LA Fire 2nd ADD. The slug lines were supposed to be removed
when pages were made up. The same term was then applied to a header in
manuscript (copy) bearing a short title and to a similar line containing
file information and so forth in material composed by optical and other
means. The SDC panelist are using it to mean the Subject: headers minus the
=SDC=, Q and question number. Without the "line," this is "slug" 6c in
MWCD11.

Skitt

Oct 24, 2007, 4:07:44 PM10/24/07
Lars Eighner wrote:
> Will broadcast:

>> And while we're at it, what's a "slug line"? Google doesn't help.
>
> In the days of hot type, a slug line was a line of type with a short
> title or code, identifying a galley (a long tray of type), such as LA
> Fire, LA Fire 1st ADD, LA Fire 2nd ADD. The slug lines were supposed
> to be removed when pages were made up. The same term was then
> applied to a header in manuscript (copy) bearing a short title and to
> a similar line containing file information and so forth in material
> composed by optical and other means. The SDC panelist are using it
> to mean the Subject: headers minus the =SDC=, Q and question number.
> Without the "line," this is "slug" 6c in MWCD11.

Same in M-W Online.
--
Skitt
Unfettered by stuff learned at mother's knee

jerry_f...@yahoo.com

Oct 24, 2007, 6:03:13 PM10/24/07
Will wrote:

> The answer to Q10 ("... can you tell you tell us what its first word
> is?") is missing

Sorry, the word is "But".

--
Jerry Friedman
French goal conjunction (3)

jerry_f...@yahoo.com

Oct 24, 2007, 6:15:49 PM10/24/07
On Oct 24, 3:18 am, The aue webmaster <mikebar...@bluebottle.com>
wrote:

Thanks, Mike!

This might be a good time to ask for volunteers to join the Panel,
since Adrian and Michael have turned in their crooks. Anyone?

--
Jerry Friedman

The aue webmaster

Oct 24, 2007, 6:16:12 PM10/24/07
In alt.usage.english, Will wrote:
>On 24 Oct, 10:18, The aue webmaster <mikebar...@bluebottle.com> wrote:

>> >They will be published on the alt-usage-english.org web site as soon as
>> >all the relevant information has been assembled.
>>
>> The questions, answers, scoreboard, and position table are now ready for
>> viewing at
>>
>> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2007/
>
>The answer to Q10 ("... can you tell you tell us what its first word
>is?") is missing - you do tell us where to look, but my copy of "The
>Rotter's Club" is in a box. One of several dozen boxes, as a matter
>of fact.

I've checked to see that the web page contains all the Q10 information
supplied to me. Google searches seem to be fucked at the moment so I
hope a member of the panel can oblige.

Jitze

Oct 25, 2007, 3:22:06 AM10/25/07
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:15:49 -0700, "jerry_f...@yahoo.com"
<jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>This might be a good time to ask for volunteers to join the Panel,
>since Adrian and Michael have turned in their crooks. Anyone?

Check aagin with me as the time draws closer - I may be able
to re-join the fray around then. The last few years I've been
kind of busy and there was some burn-out factor - but I may
be sufficiently re-energized and in a better position in the new
year.

Jitze (Flonker Emeritus)

Maria

Oct 25, 2007, 1:22:51 PM10/25/07
Jitze wrote:

> jerry friedman wrote:
>>
>> This might be a good time to ask for volunteers to join
>> the Panel,
>> since Adrian and Michael have turned in their crooks.
>> Anyone?
>
> Check aagin with me as the time draws closer -- I may be
> able
> to re-join the fray around then. The last few years I've
> been
> kind of busy and there was some burn-out factor - but I
> may
> be sufficiently re-energized and in a better position in
> the new
> year.
>
> Jitze (Flonker Emeritus)

What Jitze said (about being an SDC panelist again) goes for
me, too. During this year's competition, I was sort of
wishing that I'd volunteered.

Former SDC Panelist,
Maria Conlon

jerry_f...@yahoo.com

Oct 27, 2007, 1:05:56 AM10/27/07
On Oct 25, 11:22 am, "Maria" <maria....@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Jitze wrote:
> >jerryfriedmanwrote:

You both may be hearing from me!

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. recruiter

Evan Kirshenbaum

Oct 24, 2007, 12:08:39 PM10/24/07

#2. I've heard of it.

HP Laboratories |People think it must be fun to be a
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |super genius, but they don't
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |realize how hard it is to put up
|with all the idiots in the world.
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com | Calvin
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Oleg Lego

Oct 29, 2007, 11:23:29 PM10/29/07
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:08:39 -0700, Evan Kirshenbaum posted:

>Archie Valparaiso <archieva...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I did have a (dead easy) question, though, that I typically forgot to
>> send to the organisers:
>>
>> Junior Choice
>> ----------------
>>
>> Which is the odd one out and why:
>>
>> 1. Charlie Drake - My Boomerang Won't Come Back
>> 2. Beatles - Yellow Submarine
>> 3. Rolf Harris - Jake The Peg
>> 4. Andy Stewart - Donald Where's Yer Troosers
>> 5. Mandy Moore - Nellie The Elephant
>> 6. Bernard Cribbins - Right Said Fred
>
>#2. I've heard of it.

For me, that would make it 35, and perhaps #6 (I thought "Right Said
Fred" was a group or individual that sang _Too Sexy for my Shirt_.

Oleg Lego

Oct 29, 2007, 11:54:39 PM10/29/07
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:23:29 -0600, Oleg Lego posted:

Arrgh...

For me, that would make it #5, and perhaps #6 (I thought "Right Said

Archie Valparaiso

Oct 30, 2007, 5:22:27 AM10/30/07
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:23:29 -0600, Oleg Lego <r...@atatatat.com>
wrote:

Both wrong. Four left.

--
Archie Valparaiso

Archie Valparaiso

Oct 30, 2007, 5:23:01 AM10/30/07
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:54:39 -0600, Oleg Lego <r...@atatatat.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:23:29 -0600, Oleg Lego posted:

Still wrong. Three left.

--
Archie Valparaiso

LFS

Oct 30, 2007, 7:24:18 AM10/30/07

Well, it was Mandy Miller who sand "Nellie the elephant" so number 5 is
the odd one out because the question contains an error *and* she is the
only female singer listed *and* it's the only one that has had a remake
which reached a high position in the charts.

(BTW, Archie, last week I passed near to Valparaiso, Indiana, and
thought of you.)

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

Archie Valparaiso

Oct 30, 2007, 9:08:39 AM10/30/07

(Trundles back to the reference source). Hmm. Indeed it was. I've been
trumped, trumped, trumped and stand corrected.

>so number 5 is
>the odd one out because the question contains an error *and* she is the
>only female singer listed *and* it's the only one that has had a remake
>which reached a high position in the charts.

All true, but -- in the true SDC tradition -- it's still not what I'm
after. (A clue: who the artists were and chart success are both
irrelevant.)

One more attempt and I'll tell.

>(BTW, Archie, last week I passed near to Valparaiso, Indiana, and
>thought of you.)

Did they pronounce it exotically?

--
Archie Valparaiso

tony cooper

Oct 30, 2007, 9:39:54 AM10/30/07
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:08:39 +0100, Archie Valparaiso
<archieva...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>(BTW, Archie, last week I passed near to Valparaiso, Indiana, and
>>thought of you.)
>
>Did they pronounce it exotically?

Actually, they do. Hoosiers usually say "Valpo" when referring to ,
but you'll often hear "Val-i-par-a-so" or "Valley-paraso". Not from
natives of that city, but by other Hoosiers.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

Maria

Oct 30, 2007, 3:27:50 PM10/30/07
tony cooper wrote:

> Archie Valparaiso wrote:
>
>>> (BTW, Archie, last week I passed near to Valparaiso,
>>> Indiana, and
>>> thought of you.)
>>
>> Did they pronounce it exotically?
>
> Actually, they do. Hoosiers usually say "Valpo" when
> referring to ,
> but you'll often hear "Val-i-par-a-so" or "Valley-paraso".
> Not from
> natives of that city, but by other Hoosiers.

This reminds me of the people who say Ven-zu-way-la.

But speaking of Valparaiso, Ind., is the "ai" pronounced as
the 'a' in raise or as the 'i' in rise?

--
Maria

tony cooper

Oct 30, 2007, 4:06:13 PM10/30/07
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:27:50 GMT, "Maria" <mari...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

This Hoosier says "Val-po-ray-zo" and has never noticed anyone
sniggering at the pronunciation.

Robin Bignall

Oct 30, 2007, 6:40:19 PM10/30/07
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:08:39 +0100, Archie Valparaiso
<archieva...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Except for "Yellow Submarine", they were all comic songs designed
to make children laugh. I don't think kids were supposed to
laugh at J, P, G and R.
--
Robin
Herts, England

Robert Lieblich

Oct 30, 2007, 6:51:13 PM10/30/07
tony cooper wrote:

[ ... ]

> This Hoosier says "Val-po-ray-zo" and has never noticed anyone
> sniggering at the pronunciation.

I've met a few people from Valpo in my lifetime, and their
pronunciation (on the rare occasions when they can be bothered with
all four syllables) squares with Tony's.

Maria

Oct 30, 2007, 11:54:06 PM10/30/07
tony cooper wrote:

> Maria wrote:
>> tony cooper wrote:

>>> Actually, they do. Hoosiers usually say "Valpo" when
>>> referring to ,
>>> but you'll often hear "Val-i-par-a-so" or
>>> "Valley-paraso".
>>> Not from
>>> natives of that city, but by other Hoosiers.
>>
>> This reminds me of the people who say Ven-zu-way-la.
>>
>> But speaking of Valparaiso, Ind., is the "ai" pronounced
>> as
>> the 'a' in raise or as the 'i' in rise?
>
> This Hoosier says "Val-po-ray-zo" and has never noticed
> anyone
> sniggering at the pronunciation.

Was I sniggering? Didn't mean to -- I just wanted to know.

--
Maria

Archie Valparaiso

Oct 31, 2007, 3:28:31 AM10/31/07

Yellow Submarine is the one that provides the best clue, although it's
not the right answer.

Scroll down....

The odd one out is "Donald Where's Yer Troosers". It's the only one
that wasn't produced by George Martin.

--
Archie Valparaiso

LFS

Nov 1, 2007, 3:48:57 AM11/1/07
Archie Valparaiso wrote:

Oh dear. Sceptically, I checked this assertion and discovered that a
collection of Martin-produced recordings has been issued. Reading the
track list has induced a horribly cacophonous variety of STS.

msh...@math.wustl.edu

Nov 6, 2007, 12:00:20 AM11/6/07
On Oct 24, Mike Barnes abed:

> The questions, answers, scoreboard, and position table are now ready for
> viewing at
>
> http://alt-usage-english.org/sdc2007/

I'm curious to know where/how people looked for Q0.

Michael Hamm

Richard Maurer

Nov 6, 2007, 3:46:48 AM11/6/07
Michael Hamm wrote:
I'm curious to know where/how people looked for Q0.

Calling it Q0 was a cryptic (mis)direction,
or the outcome after a lengthy panel huddle?
Would Q4005 have been too revealing?

Richard Maurer To reply, remove half
Sunnyvale, California of a homonym of a synonym for also.