Resonance

Harvey Van Sickle

Feb 3, 2006, 4:06:32 AM2/3/06
This caught my eye, as it reminded me of one of our esteemed
poster's approach to usage:

http://www.whhvs.webhop.net/temp/fuzzy.bmp

--
Cheers, Harvey
Canadian (30 years) and British (23 years)

Wood Avens

Feb 3, 2006, 6:40:05 AM2/3/06
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:06:32 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle
<harve...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>This caught my eye, as it reminded me of one of our esteemed
>poster's approach to usage:
>
>http://www.whhvs.webhop.net/temp/fuzzy.bmp

You're using "esteemed" in the archaic sense of "appraised", no doubt.

--

Katy Jennison

spamtrap: remove the first two letters after the @

Harvey Van Sickle

Feb 3, 2006, 6:49:38 AM2/3/06
On 03 Feb 2006, Wood Avens wrote

> On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:06:32 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle
><harve...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> This caught my eye, as it reminded me of one of our esteemed
>> poster's approach to usage:
>>
>> http://www.whhvs.webhop.net/temp/fuzzy.bmp
>
> You're using "esteemed" in the archaic sense of "appraised",
> no doubt.

Of course. (Or maybe just in the modern sarcastic sense in which
it's followed by "not"...)

Mike Lyle

Feb 3, 2006, 9:50:57 AM2/3/06
Harvey Van Sickle wrote:
> On 03 Feb 2006, Wood Avens wrote
>
>> On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:06:32 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle
>> <harve...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This caught my eye, as it reminded me of one of our esteemed
>>> poster's approach to usage:
>>>
>>> http://www.whhvs.webhop.net/temp/fuzzy.bmp
>>
>> You're using "esteemed" in the archaic sense of "appraised",
>> no doubt.
>
> Of course. (Or maybe just in the modern sarcastic sense in which
> it's followed by "not"...)

Appraise from you, is appraise indeed. Quite the inherently two-edged
saw of Androcles.

"Androcles" is of wordly interests, natheless, for bearing the same
derivation as Achille Serre's loved Patroclus: we observe "oclos", a
crowd of eyes -- for all eyes were upon them -- and pre-Celtic "path" in
equivalence with the yet more ancient "ander" (pre-Dravidian?) for
wandering. Who have eyes to see find the far-wandered blue stones of the
Henge, from Preseli to Egdon, confirm a deeper layer resonant in
ancestral memes.

(Does that count as one stone? Sorry: couldn't work Joey in.)

--
Mike.

Harvey Van Sickle

Feb 3, 2006, 10:27:59 AM2/3/06
On 03 Feb 2006, Mike Lyle wrote

Careful with them Elvis Preseli references -- you'll wake up the
Welsh contingent.

(How did an antarctic-living bird get a Welsh-derived name?)

--
Cheers, Harvey
Mixed CanEng/BrEng

Jim Lawton

Feb 3, 2006, 11:13:38 AM2/3/06
<harve...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>This caught my eye, as it reminded me of one of our esteemed
>poster's approach to usage:
>
>http://www.whhvs.webhop.net/temp/fuzzy.bmp

Right on the button. But the word you were looking for was "steamed".
--
Jim
a Yorkshire polymoth

Mark Brader

Feb 3, 2006, 12:48:45 PM2/3/06
Harvey Van Sickle writes:
> This caught my eye, as it reminded me of one of our esteemed
> poster's approach to usage:

Nice example of an error where two possible corrections produce
distinct meanings.
--
Mark Brader "Elaborative, polysyllabic multipartite agglu-
Toronto tinations can obfuscate and become obstructive

Blue Hornet

Feb 3, 2006, 12:51:16 PM2/3/06

Spot on. Thanks.

Mike Lyle

Feb 3, 2006, 1:19:15 PM2/3/06
Harvey Van Sickle wrote:
> On 03 Feb 2006, Mike Lyle wrote
[...]

>> "ander" (pre-Dravidian?) for wandering. Who have eyes to see
>> find the far-wandered blue stones of the Henge, from Preseli
>> to Egdon, confirm a deeper layer resonant in ancestral memes.
>>
>> (Does that count as one stone? Sorry: couldn't work Joey in.)
>
> Careful with them Elvis Preseli references -- you'll wake up the
> Welsh contingent.
>
> (How did an antarctic-living bird get a Welsh-derived name?)

That produces a sense of great aukwardness: les francais couldn't see
the difference, apparently.

You did know, I'm sure, that Elfis was St David's grandfather or
something. I have little doubt that he hailed from Mynydd Preseli. A
musical nation, wrth gwrs.

--
Mike.

Harvey Van Sickle

Feb 3, 2006, 3:12:14 PM2/3/06
On 03 Feb 2006, Mike Lyle wrote

> Harvey Van Sickle wrote:
>> On 03 Feb 2006, Mike Lyle wrote
> [...]
>>> "ander" (pre-Dravidian?) for wandering. Who have eyes to see
>>> find the far-wandered blue stones of the Henge, from Preseli
>>> to Egdon, confirm a deeper layer resonant in ancestral
>>> memes.
>>>
>>> (Does that count as one stone? Sorry: couldn't work Joey
>>> in.)
>>
>> Careful with them Elvis Preseli references -- you'll wake up
>> the Welsh contingent.
>>
>> (How did an antarctic-living bird get a Welsh-derived name?)
>
> That produces a sense of great aukwardness: les francais
> couldn't see the difference, apparently.
>
> You did know, I'm sure, that Elfis was St David's grandfather

> for something. I have little doubt that he hailed from Mynydd

> Preseli. A musical nation, wrth gwrs.

I knew there was a Preseli link, but nothing more than that.

(Sir Tom Jones, indeed....)

jerry_f...@yahoo.com

Feb 3, 2006, 7:13:54 PM2/3/06
Mike Lyle wrote:
> Harvey Van Sickle wrote:
> > On 03 Feb 2006, Mike Lyle wrote
> [...]
> >> "ander" (pre-Dravidian?) for wandering. Who have eyes to see
> >> find the far-wandered blue stones of the Henge, from Preseli
> >> to Egdon, confirm a deeper layer resonant in ancestral memes.
> >>
> >> (Does that count as one stone? Sorry: couldn't work Joey in.)

You forgot Japhetic.

> > Careful with them Elvis Preseli references -- you'll wake up the
> > Welsh contingent.
> >
> > (How did an antarctic-living bird get a Welsh-derived name?)
>
> That produces a sense of great aukwardness: les francais couldn't see
> the difference, apparently.

If I may be permitted to answer in English (I've got a bit of a cold),
it's not at all clear, as the great auk didn't have a white head, nor
(=BrE "and nor") did the first penguins seen by Europeans (in Namibia).
My favorite theory is that great auks were found on a Canadian island
that the Welsh called Pen Gwyn (sp?).

--
Jerry Friedman

Mike Lyle

Feb 3, 2006, 7:28:19 PM2/3/06
jerry_f...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Mike Lyle wrote:
>> Harvey Van Sickle wrote:
>>> On 03 Feb 2006, Mike Lyle wrote
>> [...]
>
> You forgot Japhetic.

It's held in reserve. Think Waterloo. You ever hear of a successful
general who didn't hold a sockdolager in reserve?

>>> Careful with them Elvis Preseli references -- you'll wake up the
>>> Welsh contingent.
>>>
>>> (How did an antarctic-living bird get a Welsh-derived name?)
>>
>> That produces a sense of great aukwardness: les francais couldn't see
>> the difference, apparently.
>
> If I may be permitted to answer in English (I've got a bit of a cold),
> it's not at all clear, as the great auk didn't have a white head, nor
> (=BrE "and nor") did the first penguins seen by Europeans (in
> Namibia). My favorite theory is that great auks were found on a
> Canadian island that the Welsh called Pen Gwyn (sp?).

Oh, no! Is that Anticosti again? (I think this may be a case for Izzy2.)

--
Mike.