HoJo's, etc.

Douglas Harper

Mar 8, 1993, 11:00:46 AM3/8/93
The other day, my daughter asked me what why Howard Johnson's uses the
name "HoJo's". Confidently, I explained that many business officially
adopt the nicknames that the public gives them. "Neat," she said.
"What are some others". "Umm," I replied, "lessee..."

I *know* there are hordes of examples, but I couldn't and can't think
of any. Can anyone help me out on this?

--
Douglas Harper | har...@oracorp.com | +1 (607) 277-2020

George H. Shouse

Mar 8, 1993, 7:00:05 PM3/8/93
In article <1993Mar8.1...@oracorp.com> har...@oracorp.com (Douglas Harper) writes:
>The other day, my daughter asked me what why Howard Johnson's uses the
>name "HoJo's". Confidently, I explained that many business officially
>adopt the nicknames that the public gives them. "Neat," she said.
>"What are some others". "Umm," I replied, "lessee..."

McDonalds started using 'Mickey D' after I had heard it on the
streets for some time.

Big Blue for IBM?
--
Practice random kindess and senseless acts of beauty -- Anne Herbert

George Shouse University of California at Irvine
gsh...@bonnie.ics.uci.edu Information and Computer Science

Patricia A. Hansen

Mar 8, 1993, 7:55:41 PM3/8/93

Well, this might be a bit regional, but...

Seattle First National Bank was called SeaFirst by one and all
(with the exception of yours truly, admittedly a bit of a snobby
purist), and several years ago, the bank changed its name to
SeaFirst.

Others, anyone?

Patty

Graham Toal

Mar 8, 1993, 8:48:48 PM3/8/93
In article <1993Mar8.1...@oracorp.com> har...@oracorp.com (Douglas Harper) writes:
:I *know* there are hordes of examples, but I couldn't and can't think

:of any. Can anyone help me out on this?

Ma Bell?

Mark Israel

Mar 8, 1993, 10:55:07 PM3/8/93
In article <1993Mar8.1...@oracorp.com>, har...@oracorp.com (Douglas Harper) writes:

> The other day, my daughter asked me what why Howard Johnson's uses the
> name "HoJo's". Confidently, I explained that many business officially
> adopt the nicknames that the public gives them. "Neat," she said.
> "What are some others". "Umm," I replied, "lessee..."
>
> I *know* there are hordes of examples, but I couldn't and can't think
> of any. Can anyone help me out on this?

Citibank. Coke. Scotch tape. Led Zeppelin.

mis...@csi.uottawa.ca Mark Israel
Expressions of exasperation are not arguments.

Dennis Baron

Mar 8, 1993, 10:39:48 PM3/8/93
Sure,

Unisys
Pan Am
Found on Road Dead

Actually, I'd been going to Howard Johnson's for many years, but it
wasn't until I got to college and went to a Howard Johnson's on Rte.
128 that I first heard it called HoJos. The server asked me if I
wanted a HoJo's Cola when I ordered Coke. At first I thought she
was joking. It gradually sank in that I had not yet mastered the
vocabulary of the truly haute cuisine. Thirty years later I still
can't bring myself to say HoJos seriously. It's hard enough for me
to write it. I still probably consider it part of Massachusetts
dialect.

Dennis
__

--
Dennis Baron deb...@uiuc.edu
University of Illinois at Urbana 217-333-2392

Alex Johnson

Mar 9, 1993, 1:56:22 AM3/9/93
har...@oracorp.com (Douglas Harper) writes:

.>The other day, my daughter asked me what why Howard Johnson's uses the
.>name "HoJo's". Confidently, I explained that many business officially
.>adopt the nicknames that the public gives them. "Neat," she said.
.>"What are some others". "Umm," I replied, "lessee..."

.>I *know* there are hordes of examples, but I couldn't and can't think
.>of any. Can anyone help me out on this?

The International House of Pancakes is known universally (at least, in my
little universe) as ``IHOP,'' pronounced ``eye-hop,'' which it uses in its
advertising.

Chevrolet became ``Chevy.'' Similarly, Oldsmobile became ``Olds,'' and the
late, lamented Deusenberg was shortened to ``Deusy,'' from which, I
hypothesize, we get the expression ``that's a doozy'' for anything large
or outstanding.

The Philadelphia Inquirer is known in the American newspaper industry as
The Inky.

Would you include names of sports teams? The Cincinnati Red Legs changed
their name to the Reds to reflect public use. In England, the Tottenham
Hotspur football club is known as Spurs.

Cheers.

--
Alex Johnson
Washington, DC

Roger Lustig

Mar 9, 1993, 10:30:34 AM3/9/93
In article <1nhf2m...@access.digex.com> al...@access.digex.com (Alex Johnson) writes:
>har...@oracorp.com (Douglas Harper) writes:

>.>The other day, my daughter asked me what why Howard Johnson's uses the
>.>name "HoJo's". Confidently, I explained that many business officially
>.>adopt the nicknames that the public gives them. "Neat," she said.
>.>"What are some others". "Umm," I replied, "lessee..."

>.>I *know* there are hordes of examples, but I couldn't and can't think
>.>of any. Can anyone help me out on this?

>The International House of Pancakes is known universally (at least, in my
>little universe) as ``IHOP,'' pronounced ``eye-hop,'' which it uses in its
>advertising.

>Chevrolet became ``Chevy.'' Similarly, Oldsmobile became ``Olds,'' and the
>late, lamented Deusenberg was shortened to ``Deusy,'' from which, I
>hypothesize, we get the expression ``that's a doozy'' for anything large
>or outstanding.

OK, but Chevrolet and Oldsmobile are still the names of the divisions
of GM.

IHOP is a good one; similarly, KFC. (I miss the little malls that
would sometimes have a Kentucky Fried Chicken *and* a G. Fried Carpet.)

A&P used to be The Great Atlantic and PAcific Tea Company. It's been
a while...

>The Philadelphia Inquirer is known in the American newspaper industry as
>The Inky.

Sure, and banks have all kinds of nicknames -- Comical, Rocky's (that's
Chase), MAnnyHanny, etc. Citibank took it seriously...

>Would you include names of sports teams? The Cincinnati Red Legs changed
>their name to the Reds to reflect public use.

Not. "Redlegs" was a McCarthy-era bit of PC. Way back when, they
were the Red Stockings, but in the 50's men didn't wear stockings.
At least, not for baseball. The team has been the Reds through
most of its history (which goes back to 1869).

OF course, this is not as weird as the Washington Senators (the first set,
who moved to Minnesota in 1961). They were always *called* that, but the
team name was the Nationals. Nats for short.

>In England, the Tottenham Hotspur football club is known as Spurs.

Yanks, Bosox, Chisox, Sox, A's -- a real change from Athletics, there! --
Cards, etc.

In Germany, people call 1. FC Kaiserslautern simply 'Lautern. Wouldn't
you?

Roger

The Meach

Mar 9, 1993, 11:47:18 AM3/9/93
In article <1993Mar9.1...@Princeton.EDU> ro...@astro.princeton.edu (Roger Lustig) writes:

>In Germany, people call 1. FC Kaiserslautern simply 'Lautern. Wouldn't
>you?

Quite likely. . . but the Amis stationed there tend to call the town "K-town".

--jtm
Who was stationed in "'Flicken". . .

Evan Kirshenbaum

Mar 9, 1993, 12:49:12 PM3/9/93
In article <1993Mar9.1...@Princeton.EDU> ro...@astro.princeton.edu (Roger Lustig) writes:
>IHOP is a good one; similarly, KFC. (I miss the little malls that
>would sometimes have a Kentucky Fried Chicken *and* a G. Fried Carpet.)

Had to read that twice before I figured out that a "fried carpet"
wasn't. :-)

>Sure, and banks have all kinds of nicknames -- Comical, Rocky's (that's
>Chase), MAnnyHanny, etc. Citibank took it seriously...

A friend of mine said that he actually made his student loan payment
checks out to "Sally Mae" (mine went to the "Student Loan Marketing
Association").

Are AT&T and IBM the official names of the companies these days?

HP Laboratories | The Society for the Preservation of
3500 Deer Creek Road, Building 26U | Tithesis commends your ebriated and
Palo Alto, CA 94304 | scrutable use of delible and
| defatigable, which are gainly, sipid
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com | and couth. We are gruntled and
(415)857-7572 | consolate that you have the ertia and
| eptitude to choose such putably
| pensible tithesis, which we parage.

Todd Andrew Simpson

Mar 9, 1993, 1:53:01 PM3/9/93
In article <1993Mar9.0...@csi.uottawa.ca> mis...@csi.uottawa.ca (Mark Israel) writes...

In article <1993Mar8.1...@oracorp.com>, har...@oracorp.com (Douglas Harper) writes:

> The other day, my daughter asked me what why Howard Johnson's uses the
> name "HoJo's". Confidently, I explained that many business officially

> adopt the nicknames that the public gives them. [...]

> I *know* there are hordes of examples, but I couldn't and can't think
> of any. Can anyone help me out on this?

Citibank. Coke. Scotch tape. Led Zeppelin.

I didn't know Led Zeppelin was a nickname! Are you sure? What's the
original name?

mis...@csi.uottawa.ca Mark Israel
Expressions of exasperation are not arguments.

Todd (whom people used to ask "What's 'Todd' short for?")
--
Todd Andrew Simpson, Elitist; 725-1 West : It's all due to
Cherry Lane, State College, PA 16803, USA; : a trauma I suffered

Rich Young

Mar 9, 1993, 1:22:05 PM3/9/93
In article <1993Mar8.1...@oracorp.com> har...@oracorp.com (Douglas Harper) writes:
>The other day, my daughter asked me what why Howard Johnson's uses the
>name "HoJo's". Confidently, I explained that many business officially
>adopt the nicknames that the public gives them. "Neat," she said.
>"What are some others". "Umm," I replied, "lessee..."
>
>I *know* there are hordes of examples, but I couldn't and can't think
>of any. Can anyone help me out on this?

How about "Mickey D's" for McDonald's of Golden Arches fame?

Of course there are several examples of corporate names or
trademarks which are now accepted as part of the language:

Kleenex, Jello, Xerox, Aspirin.....but that's not what you
wanted was it?

-Rich Young (These are not Kodak's opinions.)

Todd Andrew Simpson

Mar 9, 1993, 2:04:15 PM3/9/93
In article <1nhf2m...@access.digex.com> al...@access.digex.com (Alex Johnson) writes...

[...]

Would you include names of sports teams? The Cincinnati Red Legs changed

their name to the Reds to reflect public use. ...

I thought they had been the "Red Stockings". I remember hearing somewhere
that they went back to calling themselves the Red Stockings during - when
else? - the McCarthy era.

--
Alex Johnson
Washington, DC

Mark Israel

Mar 9, 1993, 4:20:29 PM3/9/93
In article <C3Mxs...@cs.psu.edu>, p...@math.psu.edu (Todd Andrew Simpson) writes:

> I didn't know Led Zeppelin was a nickname!

The story is that a critic wrote after seeing one of their early
performances: "This group has as much chance of getting off the
ground as a lead zeppelin." So they adopted the name. I don't know
what they were called before that.

> Are you sure?

No.

> Todd (whom people used to ask "What's 'Todd' short for?")

"Time of day".

Linda Zinn

Mar 9, 1993, 9:22:20 PM3/9/93

How about Sea-Tac, for the Seattle-Tacoma airport? I haven't lived
in that neck of the woods for > 20 years, so I'm not sure if it's
still commonly called that.

* Linda Zinn When you point a finger at someone, *
* au...@cleveland.freenet.edu you're pointing three back at yourself *
* ******Wanted: Books by E.D.E.N. Southworth; cattail dinnerware****** *

Lorne Epp

Mar 9, 1993, 9:54:47 PM3/9/93
In article <1993Mar8.1...@oracorp.com>, har...@oracorp.com (Douglas Harper) writes:
> The other day, my daughter asked me what why Howard Johnson's uses the
> name "HoJo's". Confidently, I explained that many business officially
> adopt the nicknames that the public gives them. "Neat," she said.
> "What are some others". "Umm," I replied, "lessee..."
>
> I *know* there are hordes of examples, but I couldn't and can't think
> of any. Can anyone help me out on this?

The Hudson's Bay Company changed its name to The Bay because that's
what everybody called it anyway. Simpson Sears has yet to change to
Pimps 'n' Queers, however.

Lorne Epp e...@mala.bc.ca

Steve Hayes

Mar 10, 1993, 1:25:44 AM3/10/93
In article <1nhf2m...@access.digex.com> al...@access.digex.com (Alex Johnson) writes:

>Would you include names of sports teams? The Cincinnati Red Legs changed
>their name to the Reds to reflect public use. In England, the Tottenham
>Hotspur football club is known as Spurs.

And supporters of the Mamelodi Sundowns (our local soccer team) shout "Up
the Downs"

Steve Hayes, Department of Missiology & Editorial Department
Univ. of South Africa, P.O. Box 392, Pretoria, 0001 South Africa
Internet: haye...@risc1.unisa.ac.za
steve...@p5.f22.n7101.z5.fidonet.org
stephe...@f20.n7101.z5.fidonet.org

greg grainger

Mar 10, 1993, 10:41:25 AM3/10/93

Date Entered: 03-10-93 10:36
On March 9, mis...@csi.uottawa.ca (Mark Israel) wrote:

M>In article <C3Mxs...@cs.psu.edu>, p...@math.psu.edu (Todd Andrew Simpson) wr

M>> I didn't know Led Zeppelin was a nickname!

M> The story is that a critic wrote after seeing one of their early
M>performances: "This group has as much chance of getting off the
M>ground as a lead zeppelin." So they adopted the name. I don't know
M>what they were called before that.

They were 'The New Yardbirds'. By the time Led Zepplin made it big,
Jimmy Page was the only former Yardbird left. Rumour had it that
there were copyright disputes over the name 'Yardbird', necessitating
a change to *something* else.

Cheers,
Greg.

Greg Grainger
Toronto, Ontario.
greg.g...@rose.com
9:36:29 am, Wed 03-10-1993.
---
OLX 3.01 31-0898 'Hmmm, the Force is strong in this one.'
RoseMail 2.00 : RoseNet<=>Usenet Gateway : Rose Media 416-733-2285

Ron Newman

Mar 10, 1993, 3:42:54 PM3/10/93
In article <1993Mar9.1...@hplabsz.hpl.hp.com>, ev...@hplerk.hpl.hp.com (Evan Kirshenbaum) writes:

|> A friend of mine said that he actually made his student loan payment
|> checks out to "Sally Mae" (mine went to the "Student Loan Marketing
|> Association").

This organization has actually been putting ads in the newspaper
under the name "Sallie Mae" of late. They're trying to persuade
the public of the dubious proposition that they actually provide
a useful service.

Other organizations with similar abbreviations are

GNMA - Govt. National Mortgage Administration - Ginnie Mae
FNMA - Federal National Mortgage Administration - Fannie Mae
another one often called "Freddie Mac"

I've never understood the difference between these organizations.

--
Ron Newman rne...@bbn.com

Lorne Epp

Mar 10, 1993, 8:50:00 PM3/10/93
In article <1njjc...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>, au...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Linda Zinn) writes:

> In a previous article, pat...@sequent.com (Patricia A. Hansen) says:
>

>>Well, this might be a bit regional, but...
>>
>>Seattle First National Bank was called SeaFirst by one and all
>>(with the exception of yours truly, admittedly a bit of a snobby
>>purist), and several years ago, the bank changed its name to
>>SeaFirst.
>>
>>Others, anyone?
>
> How about Sea-Tac, for the Seattle-Tacoma airport? I haven't lived
> in that neck of the woods for > 20 years, so I'm not sure if it's
> still commonly called that.

It is. And the city (or town, or whatever it is) near the airport
is officially named Seatac.

Lorne Epp e...@mala.bc.ca

Wes Groleau X7574

Mar 11, 1993, 10:21:17 AM3/11/93
In article <C3pt4...@techbook.com> da...@techbook.com (Dan Tilque) writes:
>e...@mala.bc.ca (Lorne Epp) writes:
>Here's one local to Oregon. The largest retailer in the state is Fred
>Meyer, almost universally refered to as Freddies. Sometimes in their
>ads they use Freddies although they usually use Fred Meyer.

In the U.S. Northeast, a restaurant chain that started as
"the Friendly Restaurant" for years silently refused to put apostrophe-S in
it name. But a year or two ago, the finally gave in to "usage" and started
(again unannounced) putting "Friendly's" on their menus and ads.

Ron Newman

Mar 11, 1993, 1:05:25 PM3/11/93
Then of course there's the `Harvard Cooperative Society'. This department
store in Cambridge, Mass. has officially adopted the nickname `The Coop'.

Pronounced as in chicken coop.

--
Ron Newman rne...@bbn.com

Edwin S. Russell

Mar 11, 1993, 1:08:40 PM3/11/93
>> The other day, my daughter asked me why Howard Johnson's uses the
>> name "HoJo's".

I thought "HoJo" was what Brunnhilde sings in Wagner's Ring operas.
(Siegfried?) :-)

wil...@vax.oxford.ac.uk

Mar 11, 1993, 12:03:23 PM3/11/93
In article <1993Mar9.1...@hplabsz.hpl.hp.com>, ev...@hplerk.hpl.hp.com (Evan Kirshenbaum) writes:
> In article <1993Mar9.1...@Princeton.EDU> ro...@astro.princeton.edu (Roger Lustig) writes:
>>IHOP is a good one; similarly, KFC. (I miss the little malls that
>>would sometimes have a Kentucky Fried Chicken *and* a G. Fried Carpet.)
>
> Had to read that twice before I figured out that a "fried carpet"
> wasn't. :-)

Can a nignorant Britisher ask what a "fried carpet" *is* (if it isn't one)?
--

Stephen Wilcox | Bear with me, please. I can't think
wil...@vax.oxford.ac.uk | of anything witty at the moment.

Paul Garside

Mar 12, 1993, 10:05:53 AM3/12/93
Mark Israel writes:

> The story is that a critic wrote after seeing one of their early

performances: "This group has as much chance of getting off the

ground as a lead zeppelin." So they adopted the name. I don't know

what they were called before that.

I don't know the full story, but Jimmy Page joined the Yardbirds, which then
broke up, leaving Jimmy to form a new band with Manager Peter Grant, which
had the working title of "The New Yardbirds". He then got together with
Keith Moon, Pete Townsend and Jeff Beck and recorded "Beck's Bolero"; then
they were called The Jeff Beck Band or something original like that. This
was going to be the successor to the Yardbirds, but it didn't work out, so
Jimmy and Peter recruited unknowns Plant and Bonham, along with session
bassist John Paul Jones.

The name Led Zeppelin, as I understand it, was coined by one of the above
mentioned, about an idea that Keith Moon had: "That should go down like a
lead zeppelin". Peter Grant liked it, and took out the "a" in lead, to aid
pronunciation, hence spawning the cult in metal bands for names with missing
vowels (Def Leppard, Napalm Deth etc).

They recorded their first album under that name, and the rest, as they say,
is history. No self-respecting critic would ever have made those remarks
about their early performances! They got flack later on from some.

No doubt some musicologist will correct the details, though perhaps this is
the wrong newsgroup!.

Paul.

Evan Kirshenbaum

Mar 12, 1993, 12:41:37 PM3/12/93
In article <C3rr4...@techbook.com> da...@techbook.com (Dan Tilque) writes:

>yo...@serum.kodak.com writes:
>>har...@oracorp.com (Douglas Harper) writes:
>>>The other day, my daughter asked me what why Howard Johnson's uses the
>>>name "HoJo's". Confidently, I explained that many business officially
>>>adopt the nicknames that the public gives them. "Neat," she said.
>>>"What are some others". "Umm," I replied, "lessee..."
>>
>> How about "Mickey D's" for McDonald's of Golden Arches fame?
>
>I don't think that's the kind of example wanted. The key point is that
>the company officially adopt an informal nickname. I've never heard
>McDonald's call themselves anything but McDonald's.

They use the name "Mickey D's" (in dialogue) in some of their recent
television commercials.

Similarly, Chevrolet talks about "Chevy Trucks" in their ads. Many
Oldsmobile dealerships are "Foobar Olds".

These are all "unofficial" assumptions of slang. The company doesn't
actually rename itself (as KFC did), but they use the name to refer to
themselves.

Was "Jeep" always the name of the American Motors division, or did
this come about in the same way?

Todd Andrew Simpson

Mar 12, 1993, 3:39:25 PM3/12/93
In article <1993Mar9.1...@mala.bc.ca> e...@mala.bc.ca (Lorne Epp)
writes...

The Hudson's Bay Company changed its name to The Bay because that's
what everybody called it anyway.

Reminds me of a store selling outdoor gear where I'm from (around
Washington, D.C.). It used to be called Hudson Bay Outfitters, or HBO
for short; but then it was forced to change to Hudson Trail Outfitters
to avoid being confused with Home Box Office.

Lorne Epp e...@mala.bc.ca

Mark Israel

Mar 12, 1993, 7:05:30 PM3/12/93
In article <1993Mar11.1...@vax.oxford.ac.uk>, wil...@vax.oxford.ac.uk (Stephen Wilcox) writes:
> In article <1993Mar9.1...@hplabsz.hpl.hp.com>, ev...@hplerk.hpl.hp.com (Evan Kirshenbaum) writes:
>> In article <1993Mar9.1...@Princeton.EDU> ro...@astro.princeton.edu (Roger Lustig) writes:
>>> IHOP is a good one; similarly, KFC. (I miss the little malls that
>>> would sometimes have a Kentucky Fried Chicken *and* a G. Fried Carpet.)
>>
>> Had to read that twice before I figured out that a "fried carpet"
>> wasn't. :-)
>
> Can a nignorant Britisher ask what a "fried carpet" *is* (if it isn't one)?

I don't know, but my guess is that "G. Fried" is a man's name.

Ha Li

Mar 12, 1993, 10:43:00 PM3/12/93
> ev...@hplerk.hpl.hp.com (Evan Kirshenbaum) writes:

>Was "Jeep" always the name of the American Motors division, or did
>this come about in the same way?

"Jeep" comes from the abbreviation g.p. for "general purpose". This is not
only true for the orginal Army Jeep, but also for the GP-series of diesel
locomotives from GM's Electro Motive Division.

-Dave

Lorne Epp

Mar 12, 1993, 7:51:05 PM3/12/93
In article <C3sMp...@cs.psu.edu>, p...@math.psu.edu (Todd Andrew Simpson) writes:
> In article <1993Mar9.1...@mala.bc.ca> e...@mala.bc.ca (Lorne Epp)
> writes...
>
> The Hudson's Bay Company changed its name to The Bay because that's
> what everybody called it anyway.
>
> Reminds me of a store selling outdoor gear where I'm from (around
> Washington, D.C.). It used to be called Hudson Bay Outfitters, or HBO
> for short; but then it was forced to change to Hudson Trail Outfitters
> to avoid being confused with Home Box Office.

Which reminds me of a corner store owned by a couple I used to know.
Their names were Mike and Shirley, so they named the store S&M Grocery,
but they had to change it to M&S because "some people have filthy minds!"
Lorne Epp e...@mala.bc.ca

c...@dragon.com

Mar 12, 1993, 9:47:25 PM3/12/93
In article <C3pt4...@techbook.com>, da...@techbook.com (Dan Tilque) writes:
> e...@mala.bc.ca (Lorne Epp) writes:
>>har...@oracorp.com (Douglas Harper) writes:
>>> The other day, my daughter asked me what why Howard Johnson's uses the
>>> name "HoJo's". Confidently, I explained that many business officially
>>> adopt the nicknames that the public gives them. "Neat," she said.
>>> "What are some others". "Umm," I replied, "lessee..."
>>>
>>The Hudson's Bay Company changed its name to The Bay because that's
>>what everybody called it anyway. Simpson Sears has yet to change to
>>Pimps 'n' Queers, however.
>
> I don't think Mongomery Wards will ever use "Monkey Wards" either.

> Here's one local to Oregon. The largest retailer in the state is Fred
> Meyer, almost universally refered to as Freddies. Sometimes in their
> ads they use Freddies although they usually use Fred Meyer.

Here in Atlanta, we call our local newspapers the Constitution and
the Journal the "Constipation" and the "Urinal." (I doubt they'll
adopt them.) We used to call First Atlanta "First Nasty" until they
became Wachovia. We haven't thought up a good name for Wachovia yet.
We called Kentucky Fried Chicken "KFC" for years, and I was surprised
when not long ago they adopted it. The International House of
Pancakes has always been the "IHOP" (as in "I hop") and I remember a
commercial from years back with a Kangaroo.

This isn't the name of a company, but the Varsity (of Georgia Tech
fame) has a language all its own. Frosted Oranges are "FO's" and
chocolate milks are "PC's." (I found out once, after using the
expression for years, that it comes from Pure Chocolate somewhere on
the label.) An "allawaydog" is a hotdog with everything on it and if
you want it "walking," it means "to go." I've heard of other places
that have colorful language also.

--
Cindy Smith -- Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
c...@dragon.com || A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
><> /\ Woe to craven hearts and drooping hands,
Delay not your .--/--\--. to the sinner who treads a double path!
conversion |----\/-||-\/----| Woe to the faint of heart who trust not,
to the Lord, |----/\-||-/\----| who therefore will have no shelter!
put it not off `--\--/--' Woe to you who have lost hope!
from day to day \/ what will you do at the visitation of the Lord?
-- Ecclesiasticus || -- Ecclesiasticus/Ben Sira 2:12-14
/Ben Sira 5:8 --

Todd Andrew Simpson

Mar 13, 1993, 6:38:44 PM3/13/93
In article <1993Mar12....@dragon.com> c...@dragon.com writes...

Here in Atlanta, we call our local newspapers the Constitution and
the Journal the "Constipation" and the "Urinal." (I doubt they'll
adopt them.) We used to call First Atlanta "First Nasty" until they
became Wachovia. We haven't thought up a good name for Wachovia yet.
We called Kentucky Fried Chicken "KFC" for years, and I was surprised
when not long ago they adopted it. The International House of
Pancakes has always been the "IHOP" (as in "I hop") and I remember a
commercial from years back with a Kangaroo.

My brother calls the San Francisco Chronicle "the Comical", and I
think there are other uncharitable names for that paper, though I
don't know them (someone help me out...). I heard KFC changed because
of the F-word. Evidently people are willing to go to a restaurant
that serves fried food, but not if it says so in the name. It's
interesting the way Wachovia is pronounced - I always thought it
was "Watch-ov'ya", which sounds reassuring, but I heard a commercial
the other day on the radio and they said it "Walk-ov'ya".

--
Cindy Smith -- Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
c...@dragon.com || A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
emory!dragon!cms ||
><> /\ Woe to craven hearts and drooping hands,
Delay not your .--/--\--. to the sinner who treads a double path!
conversion |----\/-||-\/----| Woe to the faint of heart who trust not,
to the Lord, |----/\-||-/\----| who therefore will have no shelter!
put it not off `--\--/--' Woe to you who have lost hope!
from day to day \/ what will you do at the visitation of the Lord?
-- Ecclesiasticus || -- Ecclesiasticus/Ben Sira 2:12-14
/Ben Sira 5:8 --

Todd, posting from within the Blizzard of '93...

Alex Johnson

Mar 14, 1993, 2:17:15 AM3/14/93
c...@dragon.com writes:

.> This isn't the name of a company, but the Varsity (of Georgia Tech
.>fame) has a language all its own. Frosted Oranges are "FO's" and
.>chocolate milks are "PC's." (I found out once, after using the
.>expression for years, that it comes from Pure Chocolate somewhere on
.>the label.) An "allawaydog" is a hotdog with everything on it and if
.>you want it "walking," it means "to go." I've heard of other places
.>that have colorful language also.

As a native Georgian, I remind you that the only correct way to walk a
Varsity dog is ``through the garden'' -- with onions, slaw, and every
other available vegetable.

Cheers.

Anno Siegel

Mar 14, 1993, 9:16:10 AM3/14/93
In article <C3qL2...@unixhub.SLAC.Stanford.EDU> e...@unixhub.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Edwin S. Russell) writes:

>I thought "HoJo" was what Brunnhilde sings in Wagner's Ring operas.
>(Siegfried?) :-)

The Valkyrie, Third Act, First Scene, Gerhilde:
"Hojotoho! -- Heia ha! Heia ha!" (R. W.)
"Hoyotoho! -- Heia ha! Heia ha!" (English translation by H. & F. Corder)
--
Anno Siegel sie...@zrz.tu-berlin.de
c/o TU-Berlin/ZRZ s=siegel ou=zrz p=tu-berlin a=dbp c=de

Graham Toal

Mar 14, 1993, 6:55:13 PM3/14/93
:In article <1993Mar12....@dragon.com> c...@dragon.com writes...

: Here in Atlanta, we call our local newspapers the Constitution and
: the Journal the "Constipation" and the "Urinal." (I doubt they'll
: adopt them.) We used to call First Atlanta "First Nasty" until they
: became Wachovia. We haven't thought up a good name for Wachovia yet.

To keep in line with the theme: Whack-off-ia ?

Roger Lustig

Mar 14, 1993, 12:34:49 PM3/14/93
In article <1nvena...@mailgzrz.TU-Berlin.DE> anno...@zrz.tu-berlin.de (Anno Siegel) writes:
>In article <C3qL2...@unixhub.SLAC.Stanford.EDU> e...@unixhub.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Edwin S. Russell) writes:
>>
>>I thought "HoJo" was what Brunnhilde sings in Wagner's Ring operas.
>>(Siegfried?) :-)
>
>The Valkyrie, Third Act, First Scene, Gerhilde:
>"Hojotoho! -- Heia ha! Heia ha!" (R. W.)
>"Hoyotoho! -- Heia ha! Heia ha!" (English translation by H. & F. Corder)

Or, from the forthcoming Disney version:

Hojotoho, Hojotoho,
It's off to war we go.
To earn our bread we schlep the dead.
Hojotoho, hojotoho!

Roger

Anno Siegel

Mar 16, 1993, 5:06:03 AM3/16/93
In article <1993Mar14.1...@Princeton.EDU> ro...@astro.princeton.edu (Roger Lustig) writes:

[...]

>Or, from the forthcoming Disney version:
>
> Hojotoho, Hojotoho,
> It's off to war we go.
> To earn our bread we schlep the dead.
> Hojotoho, hojotoho!

Sung to the tune of Jingle Bells?
--
Anno Sie...@zrz.tu-berlin.de -- typo ergo sum

The Meach

Mar 16, 1993, 10:12:04 AM3/16/93
In article <C3z81...@techbook.com> da...@techbook.com (Dan Tilque) writes:

>wil...@vax.oxford.ac.uk writes:
>>
>>Can a nignorant Britisher ask what a "fried carpet" *is* (if it isn't one)?
> ^^^
>Metanalysis in action.
>
>Actually, this American doesn't know what "fried carpet" is either.
>Must be a regionalism.

In the northeast, especially during blizzards, we use them to keep our
feet warm!

So, Dan. . . what if we put it this way:

George Fried, purveyor of most excellent carpets.

--jtm
de asini umbra disceptare.

F.Grant Whittle

Mar 15, 1993, 6:28:47 PM3/15/93
I'm new, so this may have already been mentioned, but there is
Coke for Coca-Cola. The Coca-Cola company combatted this
nickname for many years before they finally gave in and
trademarked it.

Douglas Harper

Mar 17, 1993, 11:46:07 AM3/17/93
Thank you, everyone who responded. My daughter was delighted.

Here's one she came up with: the Kentucky Fried Chicken people have
adopted "KFC".

I wonder whether we'll ever see "Jacques Penne'" or "Monkey Ward's"
trademarked ;-)

--
Douglas Harper | har...@oracorp.com | +1 (607) 277-2020

m...@waikato.ac.nz

Mar 18, 1993, 4:03:44 PM3/18/93

'KFC' is not an example of the "Hojo's phenomenon" where a popular
nickname is adopted by the company. Rather the company has tried to
sell the public on the idea of this contraction to avoid the poor
image of the F word and the limitations of the C word.
--
Murray A. Jorgensen [ m...@waikato.ac.nz ] University of Waikato
Department of Mathematics and Statistics Hamilton, New Zealand

Roger Lustig

Mar 18, 1993, 10:50:10 AM3/18/93
In article <C3z81...@techbook.com> da...@techbook.com (Dan Tilque) writes:
>wil...@vax.oxford.ac.uk writes:

>>Can a nignorant Britisher ask what a "fried carpet" *is* (if it isn't one)?

> ^^^
>Metanalysis in action.

>Actually, this American doesn't know what "fried carpet" is either.
>Must be a regionalism.

Just in case this isn't a joke, the man's name is G. Fried.

Roger

faced with mysteries dark & vast

Mar 19, 1993, 11:24:57 AM3/19/93
ro...@crux.Princeton.EDU (Roger Lustig) wrote:

> da...@techbook.com (Dan Tilque) writes:
>
> > Actually, this American doesn't know what "fried carpet" is either.
>
> Just in case this isn't a joke, the man's name is G. Fried.

That fails to address the question once again!

More than a couple of us have not gotten the reference to "G. Fried carpet"
& some of that number have gone so far as to ask about it. I've never
knowingly been in a mall with a "G. Fried <ANYthing>" in it, let alone one
with a fried carpet store in it.

What the devil *are* you people talking about??!?
__
\/ -+- randy -+- all generalizations are flawed -+- fu...@llnl.gov

The Meach

Mar 19, 1993, 2:51:33 PM3/19/93
In article <futor-190...@chinacat.llnl.gov> fu...@llnl.gov (faced with mysteries dark & vast) writes:

> ro...@crux.Princeton.EDU (Roger Lustig) wrote:
>> da...@techbook.com (Dan Tilque) writes:
>>
>> > Actually, this American doesn't know what "fried carpet" is either.
>>
>> Just in case this isn't a joke, the man's name is G. Fried.
>
>That fails to address the question once again!

Huh???? How so?

>More than a couple of us have not gotten the reference to "G. Fried carpet"
>& some of that number have gone so far as to ask about it. I've never
>knowingly been in a mall with a "G. Fried <ANYthing>" in it, let alone one
>with a fried carpet store in it.

>What the devil *are* you people talking about??!?

Here. . . let me hold your hand, and walk you through this very, *very* slowly:

G. Fried Carpet = Carpet which is sold by Mr. G. Fried!

Dense? Oh, yes! Thank you, I'd *love* to!

[NOTE: As long as you continue to insist on pronouncing it like the Fried
in Kentucky Fried Chicken, you're going to keep tripping over it!]

--jtm
Next!

Evan Kirshenbaum

Mar 22, 1993, 12:39:57 PM3/22/93
In article <1993Mar19.1...@waikato.ac.nz> m...@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>'KFC' is not an example of the "Hojo's phenomenon" where a popular
>nickname is adopted by the company. Rather the company has tried to
>sell the public on the idea of this contraction to avoid the poor
>image of the F word and the limitations of the C word.

They're taking advantage of it in the way you say, but around here at
least, people have called it "KFC" for years.

HP Laboratories | Whatever it is that the government
3500 Deer Creek Road, Building 26U | does, sensible Americans would prefer
Palo Alto, CA 94304 | that the government do it to somebody
| else.
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com | P.J. O'Rourke
(415)857-7572

Douglas Harper

Mar 24, 1993, 3:28:32 PM3/24/93
>In article <1993Mar17.1...@oracorp.com>, har...@oracorp.com (Douglas Harper) writes:
>> Thank you, everyone who responded. My daughter was delighted.
>>
>> Here's one she came up with: the Kentucky Fried Chicken people have
>> adopted "KFC".
>>
>> I wonder whether we'll ever see "Jacques Penne'" or "Monkey Ward's"
>> trademarked ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Douglas Harper | har...@oracorp.com | +1 (607) 277-2020
>
>'KFC' is not an example of the "Hojo's phenomenon" where a popular
>nickname is adopted by the company. Rather the company has tried to
>sell the public on the idea of this contraction to avoid the poor
>image of the F word and the limitations of the C word.

Don't think so, Ace. It was "KFC" in popular use long before the
attempted sell.