Has been a long time ago

Marius Hancu

Jan 18, 2010, 10:16:21 PM1/18/10
Hello:

At Google Books:

2,900 on "was a long time ago"
http://books.google.com/books?q=%22was+a+long+time+ago%22&btnG=Search+Books

623 on "has been a long time ago"
http://books.google.com/books?q=%22has+been+a+long+time+ago%22&btnG=Search+Books

The relatively large number of samples for the 2nd case is surprising
to me.

Any justification for the use of present perfect with "long time ago,"
e.g. in:
---
[Trying to find the remains of the grandfather for proper burial]

"Won't be anything to left to see now. That's been a long time ago."

"I know, but may be there's something. I can bury properly."
--
?

I'd certainly expect the simple past.

---
Thanks.
Marius Hancu

Mark Brader

Jan 19, 2010, 12:18:42 AM1/19/10
Marius Hancu:

> "Won't be anything to left to see now. That's been a long time ago."
> I'd certainly expect the simple past.

Me too.
--
Mark Brader | "Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf!
Toronto | Don't be a jabbernowl! You're not those, are you?"

Marius Hancu

Jan 19, 2010, 12:31:06 PM1/19/10
On Jan 19, 12:18 am, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> > "Won't be anything to left to see now. That's been a long time ago."

> > I'd certainly expect the simple past.
>
> Me too.

Thank you for the confirmation.
Marius Hancu

Glenn Knickerbocker

Jan 20, 2010, 6:25:39 PM1/20/10
Mark Brader wrote:
> Marius Hancu:

> > I'd certainly expect the simple past.
> Me too.

Same here. Notice that almost all the examples Google Books finds are
transcribed speech. I'd say it's got to be regional, but couldn't say
what regions.

�R