Thank you in advance?

NOSPAM

Jul 22, 2006, 8:12:22 PM7/22/06

Is it correct (or common) to say/write "Thank you in advance"?

Thanks,

- DJ
Not a native speaker of English

Adrian Bailey

Jul 22, 2006, 8:24:48 PM7/22/06
"NOSPAM" <n...@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is it correct

TDOYPOV; I hate it.

> (or common)

Oh yes.

> to say/write "Thank you in advance"?
>
> Thanks,

Ah, that's better.

Adrian

Arcadian Rises

Jul 22, 2006, 8:49:26 PM7/22/06

Adrian Bailey wrote:

> "NOSPAM" <n...@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it correct
>
> TDOYPOV; I hate it.

Me too, because I find it manipulative: you better do what I asked
because I've already thank you for it.

But can you come up with a decent replacement? How would you end
politely and nicely a request for advice in language matters? Just a
"Thank you" won't do it (IMO) because there is nothing to thank for
yet. And the thanks are not for your time and consideration unless you
come up with some concrete advice.

Anyway, until I learn a better formula to express my future gratitude,

TIA

Lars Eighner

Jul 22, 2006, 9:38:11 PM7/22/06
In our last episode,
<esGdneD3n8kZI1_Z...@rcn.net>,
the lovely and talented NOSPAM
broadcast on alt.usage.english:

> Hi,

> Is it correct (or common) to say/write "Thank you in advance"?

It does seems to mean something like "I cannot be bothered to think
of you again once you've given me what I want." Many people find it
more offensive than receiving no thanks at all.

--
Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> <http://myspace.com/larseighner>
There is creative reading as well as creative writing. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fred

Jul 22, 2006, 9:43:11 PM7/22/06

"Arcadian Rises" <Arcadi...@aol.com> wrote in message

I thought TIA meant thank-you in anticipation, which is a little different
than thanks in advance, and less likely to be interpreted as 'you had better
do what I asked'.

dearcilla

Jul 22, 2006, 11:48:20 PM7/22/06

Lars Eighner wrote:
> In our last episode,
> <esGdneD3n8kZI1_Z...@rcn.net>,
> the lovely and talented NOSPAM
> broadcast on alt.usage.english:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > Is it correct (or common) to say/write "Thank you in advance"?
>
> It does seems to mean something like "I cannot be bothered to think
> of you again once you've given me what I want." Many people find it
> more offensive than receiving no thanks at all.

Many people find taking offense an amusing pastime, and are quite
creative in how they pursue it.

Mike Lyle

Jul 23, 2006, 10:46:00 AM7/23/06

Lars Eighner wrote:
> In our last episode,
> <esGdneD3n8kZI1_Z...@rcn.net>,
> the lovely and talented NOSPAM
> broadcast on alt.usage.english:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > Is it correct (or common) to say/write "Thank you in advance"?
>
> It does seems to mean something like "I cannot be bothered to think
> of you again once you've given me what I want." Many people find it
> more offensive than receiving no thanks at all.

I think it's best to take the small trouble of saying something like "I
would be [very] grateful if you could help." Expressions like that show
appreciation without appearing to take any response for granted.

--
Mike.

Peacenik

Jul 23, 2006, 11:38:36 AM7/23/06
"NOSPAM" <n...@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is it correct (or common) to say/write "Thank you in advance"?

It's correct grammar.

It's very commonly used, particularly in business correspondence.

But I don't like it because, in addition to the points given above by other
posters, I find it cliched.

UC

Jul 23, 2006, 1:07:14 PM7/23/06

It is rather rude. It presumes that someone will help you. Don't do it.
Thank someone only AFTER he has helped you. Don't presume upon anyone's
time.

blm...@myrealbox.com

Jul 23, 2006, 1:51:42 PM7/23/06
In article <1153665960.4...@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,

Another vote here for this solution. A shorter form I'm apt to use
in more informal writing is "Help appreciated."

--
B. L. Massingill

NOSPAM

Jul 23, 2006, 2:12:14 PM7/23/06
Mike Lyle wrote:

> I think it's best to take the small trouble of saying something like "I
> would be [very] grateful if you could help." Expressions like that show
> appreciation without appearing to take any response for granted.

I like it!

- DJ

Lars Eighner

Jul 23, 2006, 2:08:43 PM7/23/06
In our last episode,
<1153665960.4...@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
the lovely and talented Mike Lyle
broadcast on alt.usage.english:

Quite so. And it is perfectly appropriate to put in something like
"Thank you for your time" or "Thank you for your consideration." After all,
whoever has read the first request has expended some time and consideration
on it.

Thanking in advance seems to have several hidden barbs: you are obligated to
grant my request because I have thanked you already, I can take your
compliance with my request for granted, and so on. I suppose it is
appropriate to offer thanks in advance to your second at seppuku, but
otherwise there are few occasions where it would be correct. Perhaps not
even then. It is perfectly acceptable to thank someone who has agreed or
offered to do something, even when the deed is not yet done.

Money will not make you happy, and happy will not make you money. -Groucho Marx

NOSPAM

Jul 23, 2006, 2:13:42 PM7/23/06
blm...@myrealbox.com wrote:

> Another vote here for this solution. A shorter form I'm apt to use
> in more informal writing is "Help appreciated."

This one is good too.

Thanks!

- DJ

Wordsmith

Jul 23, 2006, 2:11:10 PM7/23/06

Does "I apologise in advance" carry the cliche stigma?

NOSPAM

Jul 23, 2006, 2:20:43 PM7/23/06
Thank you all for your answers!

P.S. Sorry I can't reply to everyone of you, otherwise you'll see a
bunch of my posts with similar content..

- DJ

Mike Lyle

Jul 23, 2006, 2:18:07 PM7/23/06
I like it. "I'm sorry about this, but [kick in balls]." It's been done
before, of course, and in various forms. "This hurts me more than it
hurts you" is about as hoary a cliché as you'll find.

--
Mike.

Skitt

Jul 23, 2006, 2:23:08 PM7/23/06
Arcadian Rises wrote:
> Adrian Bailey wrote:
>> "NOSPAM" wrote

>>> Is it correct
>>
>> TDOYPOV; I hate it.
>
> Me too, because I find it manipulative: you better do what I asked
> because I've already thank you for it.
>
> But can you come up with a decent replacement? How would you end
> politely and nicely a request for advice in language matters? Just a
> "Thank you" won't do it (IMO) because there is nothing to thank for
> yet. And the thanks are not for your time and consideration unless you
> come up with some concrete advice.
>
> Anyway, until I learn a better formula to express my future gratitude,
>
> TIA

The only proper and complete reply to something ending in "TIA" is "TNOI".
(Think nothing of it).
--
Skitt (in Hayward, California)
http://www.geocities.com/opus731/