Marionberry

The Grammer Genious

Aug 30, 2007, 10:06:22 AM8/30/07
Although former Washington DC mayor and ex-jailbird Marion Barry is
generally not held in high regard on the east coast, the people out there on
the west coast have named a fruit after him, apparently as a tribute -- the
marionberry. It is delicious in jams and pies.

tinwhistler

Aug 30, 2007, 12:43:46 PM8/30/07

Excerpt from Wiki's entry for "blackberry:"

Marion' (marketed as "marionberry") is an important cultivar and is
from a cross between 'Chehalem' and 'Olallie' (commonly called
"olallieberry") berries. It is claimed to "capture the best attributes
of both berries and yields an aromatic bouquet and an intense
blackberry flavor".[5]. Olallie in turn is a cross between loganberry
and youngberry. 'Marion', 'Chehalem' and 'Olallie' are just three of
the many trailing blackberry cultivars developed by the United States
Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service (USDA-ARS)
blackberry breeding program at Oregon State University in Corvallis,
Oregon. [end excerpt]

I get a lot of hits on "marion grass" when Googling, but didn't run
down where the "marion" part of that comes from. That's much older
than the DC mayor.
--
Aloha ~~~ Ozzie Maland ~~~ San Diego

tinwhistler

Aug 30, 2007, 4:34:34 PM8/30/07
On Aug 30, 9:43 am, tinwhistler <ozziemal...@post.harvard.edu> wrote:
[snip]

> I get a lot of hits on "marion grass" when Googling, but didn't run
> down where the "marion" part of that comes from. That's much older
> than the DC mayor.
[snip]

I'm thinking it's more often spelled "*merion* grass" -- neither
spelling is in OED2 or the One-Look dics.

Snidely

Aug 30, 2007, 7:53:56 PM8/30/07

tinwhistler wrote:
[...]

> 'Marion', 'Chehalem' and 'Olallie' are just three of
> the many trailing blackberry cultivars developed by the United States
> Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service (USDA-ARS)
> blackberry breeding program at Oregon State University in Corvallis,
> Oregon. [end excerpt]
>
> I get a lot of hits on "marion grass" when Googling, but didn't run
> down where the "marion" part of that comes from. That's much older
> than the DC mayor.

Look under geographic names. Wikipedia notes for the 3rd version that
""Olallie" means berry in the Chinook Jargon.".

Jargon -- Chinook is usually referred to as a language. :-(

Chehalem is a geographic name. I use to have access to a book on the
origins of the placenames of Oregon, but that was long ago and far
away, and a quick Google doesn't turn up what the Indians of the
Willamette Valley thought it meant.

/dps

Snidely

Aug 30, 2007, 7:54:29 PM8/30/07
On Aug 30, 7:06 am, "The Grammer Genious" <waupec...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I think this is the first time this month that I've seen this "humor".

/dps

Snidely

Aug 30, 2007, 9:44:54 PM8/30/07
On Aug 30, 4:53 pm, Snidely <Snidely....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> Chehalem is a geographic name. I use to have access to a book on the
> origins of the placenames of Oregon, but that was long ago and far
> away, and a quick Google doesn't turn up what the Indians of the
> Willamette Valley thought it meant.

Found one explanation, after sifting a bit: Google had a cached page
for Travel Oregon that included the explanation that, "Chehalem (Chuh-
hay-lum) is an American Indian word meaning "gentle land" or "valley
of flowers," phrases that capture a reverence for the land."

But the target page[1] no longer displays that text.

[1] <http://www.traveloregon.com/Bounty/Willamette-Valley/Wineries/
Chehalem.aspx>

/dps

jo...@phred.org

Aug 30, 2007, 11:28:11 PM8/30/07
In article <y9ABi.6343$J65.1946@trndny08>, waup...@yahoo.com says...

Coming from the other Washington, I was amazed even D.C. could elect a
mayor named for a pie filling.

--
jo...@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>