little eat shop

DJ

Jul 1, 2007, 2:21:28 PM7/1/07

I'm wondering if "little eat shop" or "eat shop" means anything to you?

I managed to find this entry on wikipedia:

"EAT., a UK sandwich shop chain":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAT.

In the caption below the picture:
"An EAT. shop in Charing Cross Road"

Now, I have to think(and ask), is "eat shop" already an idiomatic
expression? (meaning it's some kind of sandwich shop or small restaurant.)

Thanks,

-- DJ

Dominic Bojarski

Jul 1, 2007, 2:40:11 PM7/1/07

It would sound like pigeon English to me. I've never heard it for
sure. It would sound very unusual.

Dominic Bojarski

tinwhistler

Jul 1, 2007, 2:44:24 PM7/1/07
On Jul 1, 11:40 am, Dominic Bojarski <dominicbojar...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Excerpt from OED2's entry for "sandwich, n.:"

1948 Mencken Amer. Lang. Suppl. II. 580 Eat shop, *sandwich shop.

"Eatery" is much more common in AmE (IMO) than "eat shop."

--
Aloha ~~~ Ozzie Maland ~~~ San Diego

Nasti J

Jul 1, 2007, 2:45:31 PM7/1/07
wrote:

> It would sound like pigeon English to me. I've never heard it for

> sure. It would sound very unusual.

that's a bird-brained comment

Pat Durkin

Jul 1, 2007, 2:54:30 PM7/1/07

"DJ" <n...@nospam.no> wrote in message
I can't think of "eat shop" in that way, but "eats" as a jocular
substitute for meals or food is common in the US.

Workingman clumping into the kitchen (or maybe a housewife at the
general store):

What's for supper?
What's for eats?
Whataya got for eats?

Guests or boarders or hobos might be informed:

For eats, you take what's given, and thank your lucky stars it's fresh.
Here!

(I know my folks used to talk that way, but right now, my mind recreates
a scene with Marjorie Main as the protagonist.)

Peter Duncanson

Jul 1, 2007, 3:12:02 PM7/1/07
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:21:28 -0400, DJ <n...@nospam.no> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm wondering if "little eat shop" or "eat shop" means anything to you?
>
>I managed to find this entry on wikipedia:
>
>"EAT., a UK sandwich shop chain":
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAT.
>
>In the caption below the picture:
>"An EAT. shop in Charing Cross Road"
>
>Now, I have to think(and ask), is "eat shop" already an idiomatic
>expression?

No.

"EAT." is the name of the business. The capital letters are
essential. The name sounds like the normal word "eat" but it is not
that word.

http://www.eat.co.uk/pages/facts.html

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Dominic Bojarski

Jul 1, 2007, 3:24:24 PM7/1/07

I can't believe I did that. Oops.

Dominic Bojarski

DJ

Jul 1, 2007, 3:32:11 PM7/1/07

Are you guys talking about "pigeon"? Well, I looked it up and:

pigeon(2)
-noun
(not in technical use) pidgin; pidgin English.

the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

------

Anyway, thank you for your answer :)

DJ

Jul 1, 2007, 3:34:34 PM7/1/07
Thank you all for your replies and answers!

-- DJ

Sara Lorimer

Jul 1, 2007, 4:21:23 PM7/1/07
Nasti J <njgi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Please don't squabble.

--
SML

tony cooper

Jul 1, 2007, 7:10:03 PM7/1/07
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:21:28 -0400, DJ <n...@nospam.no> wrote:

I don't know what the UK situation is, but there is a restaurant in
Pensacola, Florida named "Eat!". This is the name of the business,
and therefore a proper noun. The exclamation mark is part of the
name.

This particular restaurant serves dinners that range from US$18 to
US$30. (13.29 Euro to 21.16 Euro) , so it's not a sandwich shop.
In addition to the menu price, in a US restaurant your beverage would
be extra, sales tax would be added (in states that have a sales tax),
and you would be expected to tip about 18%. In this restaurant,
you'd expect to spend US$68 (50 Euro) for dinner for two without any
alcoholic beverages.

Just to confuse you, in the US you might see a sign like
http://www.madisonatoz.com/images/fairoakseat.jpg
outside of a small restaurant. This is not the name of the place;
it's just a sign advertising the fact that this is a restaurant.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

Roland Hutchinson

Jul 1, 2007, 10:52:10 PM7/1/07
Sara Lorimer wrote:

They will if we stop egging them on!

--
Roland Hutchinson Will play viola da gamba for food.

NB mail to my.spamtrap [at] verizon.net is heavily filtered to
remove spam. If your message looks like spam I may not see it.

Jitze Couperus

Jul 1, 2007, 11:53:10 PM7/1/07
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 22:52:10 -0400, Roland Hutchinson
<my.sp...@verizon.net> wrote:

>Sara Lorimer wrote:
>
>> Nasti J <njgi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> that's a bird-brained comment
>>
>> Please don't squabble.
>
>They will if we stop egging them on!

Caw!

Jitze

Pat Durkin

Jul 2, 2007, 12:36:37 AM7/2/07

"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Well, for heaven's sake, Tony. Have you eaten there? I have seen
numerous signs that say "Eats", but don't recognize that one.

I have eaten at the Imperial Gardens, though. West and East. But I
mainly eat from the takeout that is just 2 blocks away. Actually, my
Tibetan lady friend showed me to Swagat, which was good, but all the
way across town. (Looks as though Swagat may be a chain.) On the way
home, she noticed Maharani, which is apparently run by the former chef
of Maharaja.

Oh, I ate at Bluephie's some time ago, and the Avenue Bar was a staple
for a while. Oh, yeah. Fyfe's (which used to be The Washington Host,
and that owner got sued by the newspaper because they used the same
font, as well as having a name that sounded like the newspaper's name.
Somehow or other, the restaurant yielded.

Say, did you Google for "eat shop" and come up with Madison in your
search?

tony cooper

Jul 2, 2007, 12:57:29 AM7/2/07
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 04:36:37 GMT, "Pat Durkin" <dur...@sbc.com>
wrote:

>> Just to confuse you, in the US you might see a sign like
>> http://www.madisonatoz.com/images/fairoakseat.jpg
>> outside of a small restaurant. This is not the name of the place;
>> it's just a sign advertising the fact that this is a restaurant.
>
>Well, for heaven's sake, Tony. Have you eaten there? I have seen
>numerous signs that say "Eats", but don't recognize that one.

I Googled "eats sign" in Images. If you want to show an image of what
something looks like, using the "Images" search takes you to
thumbnails of images that fit the search description.

I didn't pay any attention to the restaurant itself. I was just
looking for an image of a sign with that word.

Here's the page where that image is found:
http://www.madisonatoz.com/2006/04/fair_oaks.html

Pat Durkin

Jul 2, 2007, 1:36:20 AM7/2/07

"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Oh, Jeez. 6 people for $33? I will have to visit it.

Thanks.

R H Draney

Jul 2, 2007, 2:34:32 AM7/2/07
Pat Durkin filted:

>"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Just to confuse you, in the US you might see a sign like
>> http://www.madisonatoz.com/images/fairoakseat.jpg
>> outside of a small restaurant. This is not the name of the place;
>> it's just a sign advertising the fact that this is a restaurant.
>
>Well, for heaven's sake, Tony. Have you eaten there? I have seen
>numerous signs that say "Eats", but don't recognize that one.

From "Martian Boogie" by Brownsville Station:

Now I passed up all the chain franchise joints on hamburger row
And stopped at a little greasy spoon where I always eat at called "EATS"
Sit n' gulp
Get you one of those greasy hamburgers all peppered up
Lay you up in the hospital for ten days

That's a pretty good description of what I'd expect in a place with no name
beyond the word "EATS"....r

--
"You got Schadenfreude on my Weltanschauung!"
"You got Weltanschauung in my Schadenfreude!"

Donna Richoux

Jul 2, 2007, 5:56:18 AM7/2/07
Jitze Couperus <couperus-e...@znet.com> wrote:

I dove for cover.

Robin Bignall

Jul 2, 2007, 5:20:03 PM7/2/07
On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:56:18 +0200, tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux)
wrote:

I'm owling with laughter.
--
Robin Bignall
Herts, England

Oleg Lego

Jul 2, 2007, 6:08:24 PM7/2/07
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 22:20:03 +0100, Robin Bignall posted:

It's hoot, alright!

Oleg Lego

Jul 2, 2007, 6:14:44 PM7/2/07
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:08:24 -0600, Oleg Lego posted:

"It's A hoot, alright!" you fool.

Roland Hutchinson

Jul 3, 2007, 2:13:31 AM7/3/07
Oleg Lego wrote:

Hoot, man! Talkin tae yersel agin taenight?

Oleg Lego

Jul 3, 2007, 2:28:45 AM7/3/07
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 02:13:31 -0400, Roland Hutchinson posted:

>Oleg Lego wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:08:24 -0600, Oleg Lego posted:
>>
>>>On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 22:20:03 +0100, Robin Bignall posted:

>>>It's hoot, alright!
>>
>> "It's A hoot, alright!" you fool.
>
>Hoot, man! Talkin tae yersel agin taenight?

Aye

Peacenik

Jul 2, 2007, 12:39:22 PM7/2/07
"DJ" <n...@nospam.no> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if "little eat shop" or "eat shop" means anything to you?

Well, "little eat shop" happens to be a word-for-word translation of the
Chinese "xiao chi dian", which refers to a small eatery.

Mike Lyle

Jul 2, 2007, 9:59:40 AM7/2/07
tony cooper wrote:
[...]

> Just to confuse you, in the US you might see a sign like
> http://www.madisonatoz.com/images/fairoakseat.jpg
> outside of a small restaurant. This is not the name of the place;
> it's just a sign advertising the fact that this is a restaurant.

In the words of the cartoon, "My God! Do you think it can read?"

--
Mike.

Pat Durkin

Jul 3, 2007, 8:20:24 PM7/3/07

"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

Well, I ate there today. The little place that Tony found in
"madisonatoz.com" is the Fair Oaks Diner. But the name is nondescript,
so they hang the neon sign high and outside.

The building is a bit strange. Picture a building as a square, and then
build a street cutting right through it at a 120 degree angle. (My math
isn't good, but I think that is what makes the left side angle back from
the sidewalk at 60 degrees (width at the point is one brick). The right
side angles back at about 120 degrees. ( I asked some kids playing near
there what they thought that angle was, and they said 60 degrees, but of
course they were referring to the yard space they were playing on.) I
would say it was probably a parallelogram, but I didn't go around to see
the back.

Inside, the narrowest space I could see from one of the six seats at the
counter was about one foot, and as the space and window area widens,
there is a large stainless steel refrigerator. That blocks easy access
to the old hexagonal school-type clock, so, though I finished eating at
12:30, the clock said it was 9:30.

I had a 2-egg (scrambled) for $2.25 and a cup of coffee for $1.00.
Finished off one slice of the bread with some grape jelly.

There were about 6 small tables, each with seating for 4, but I don't
think they get much use in summertime. No A/C.

Al in Dallas

Jul 5, 2007, 9:44:26 PM7/5/07
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 19:10:03 -0400, tony cooper
<tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:21:28 -0400, DJ <n...@nospam.no> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm wondering if "little eat shop" or "eat shop" means anything to you?
>>
>>I managed to find this entry on wikipedia:
>>
>>"EAT., a UK sandwich shop chain":
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAT.
>>
>>In the caption below the picture:
>>"An EAT. shop in Charing Cross Road"
>>
>>Now, I have to think(and ask), is "eat shop" already an idiomatic
>>expression? (meaning it's some kind of sandwich shop or small restaurant.)
>
>I don't know what the UK situation is, but there is a restaurant in
>Pensacola, Florida named "Eat!". This is the name of the business,
>and therefore a proper noun. The exclamation mark is part of the
>name.

I'm annoyed by establishments putting punctuation into their names.

>This particular restaurant serves dinners that range from US$18 to
>US$30. (13.29 Euro to 21.16 Euro) , so it's not a sandwich shop.
>In addition to the menu price, in a US restaurant your beverage would
>be extra, sales tax would be added (in states that have a sales tax),
>and you would be expected to tip about 18%. In this restaurant,
>you'd expect to spend US$68 (50 Euro) for dinner for two without any
>alcoholic beverages.
>
>Just to confuse you, in the US you might see a sign like
>http://www.madisonatoz.com/images/fairoakseat.jpg
>outside of a small restaurant. This is not the name of the place;
>it's just a sign advertising the fact that this is a restaurant.

A sign that worn out would be in an old section of any town I've been
to.

--
Al in St. Lou

tony cooper

Jul 5, 2007, 10:08:21 PM7/5/07
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:44:26 -0500, Al in Dallas
<alfar...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 19:10:03 -0400, tony cooper
><tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:21:28 -0400, DJ <n...@nospam.no> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm wondering if "little eat shop" or "eat shop" means anything to you?
>>>
>>>I managed to find this entry on wikipedia:
>>>
>>>"EAT., a UK sandwich shop chain":
>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAT.
>>>
>>>In the caption below the picture:
>>>"An EAT. shop in Charing Cross Road"
>>>
>>>Now, I have to think(and ask), is "eat shop" already an idiomatic
>>>expression? (meaning it's some kind of sandwich shop or small restaurant.)
>>
>>I don't know what the UK situation is, but there is a restaurant in
>>Pensacola, Florida named "Eat!". This is the name of the business,
>>and therefore a proper noun. The exclamation mark is part of the
>>name.
>
>I'm annoyed by establishments putting punctuation into their names.

Ruth's Chris Steak House may annoy you because of the punctuation, but
it annoys me because it's so damn expensive.

Al in Dallas

Jul 5, 2007, 11:00:17 PM7/5/07
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:08:21 -0400, tony cooper
<tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:44:26 -0500, Al in Dallas
><alfar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 19:10:03 -0400, tony cooper
>><tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>>I don't know what the UK situation is, but there is a restaurant in
>>>Pensacola, Florida named "Eat!". This is the name of the business,
>>>and therefore a proper noun. The exclamation mark is part of the
>>>name.
>>
>>I'm annoyed by establishments putting punctuation into their names.
>>

>Ruth's Chris Steak House may annoy you because of the punctuation, but
>it annoys me because it's so damn expensive.

I was thinking of stops, not apostrophes, hyphen, or diacritics. The
only time I almost went to Ruth's Chris, we drove away after hearing
the prices from the valet.