about inversion

Ray

Jun 4, 2005, 9:41:53 AM6/4/05
Dear all,

I want to know whether subject-auxiliary inversion is obligatory in the
following sentences.

1. I don't know what his name is.
2. I don't know what the matter is.
3. I don't know what is the matter with her.

Can we say 'I don't know what is his name/what is the matter'?
Is it ok to say 'I don't know what the matter is with her'?

I'd appreciate your help

Ray

Adrian Bailey

Jun 4, 2005, 11:06:35 AM6/4/05
"Ray" <raymondali...@yahoo.com.tw> wrote in message

> Dear all,
>
> I want to know whether subject-auxiliary inversion is obligatory in the
> following sentences.
>
> 1. I don't know what his name is.
> 2. I don't know what the matter is.
> 3. I don't know what is the matter with her.

The third is less correct than your version below.

> Can we say 'I don't know what is his name'

No.

> 'I don't know what is the matter'?

Colloquially, yes.

> Is it ok to say 'I don't know what the matter is with her'?

Yes. Or, less acceptably, perhaps, "I don't know what the matter with her
is."

Adrian

Joe Fineman

Jun 4, 2005, 11:25:10 AM6/4/05
"Ray" <raymondali...@yahoo.com.tw> writes:

Usually, inversion is not called for in subordinate clauses, as in the
examples you give. I would call the exception in your list, No. 3, a
vivid colloquialism. It is what I would probably say, at least in
conversation (and I *might* even say "I don't know what is the matter"
for No. 2). If I wished to button up No. 3, tho, I would make it "I
don't know what the matter with her is", for the sake of the rhythm if
nothing else.
--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: So be warned by my lot, which I know you will not. :||

Don Phillipson

Jun 4, 2005, 1:13:51 PM6/4/05
"Ray" <raymondali...@yahoo.com.tw> wrote in message

> I want to know whether subject-auxiliary inversion is obligatory in the

> following sentences.
>
> 1. I don't know what his name is.
> 2. I don't know what the matter is.
> 3. I don't know what is the matter with her.
>
> Can we say 'I don't know what is his name/what is the matter'?
> Is it ok to say 'I don't know what the matter is with her'?

The subject here is I and the auxiliary verb is
do (or don't) -- so their verb order has not been
inverted. You may be asking about the subordinate
clause (but it includes no auxiliary verb.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Rich Wales

Jun 4, 2005, 2:47:31 PM6/4/05
"Ray" wrote:

> > I want to know whether subject-auxiliary inversion
> > is obligatory in the following sentences.

Don Phillipson replied:

> The subject here is I and the auxiliary verb is do (or
> don't) -- so their verb order has not been inverted.
> You may be asking about the subordinate clause (but it
> includes no auxiliary verb.)

I would assume Ray was, in fact, talking about word order in
the subordinate clauses. This is a common problem area amongst
learners of English as a second language.

> > 1. I don't know what his name is.
> > 2. I don't know what the matter is.

The above sentences are correct.

> > Can we say 'I don't know what is his name/what is the
> > matter'?

No.

> > Is it ok to say 'I don't know what the matter is with
> > her'?

Yes. In fact, I'd say that is the only proper way to say it.

> > 3. I don't know what is the matter with her.

I would not consider this to be correct.

Rich Wales ri...@richw.org http://www.richw.org

Harvey Van Sickle

Jun 4, 2005, 2:54:07 PM6/4/05
On 04 Jun 2005, Rich Wales wrote

-snip-

> > > 3. I don't know what is the matter with her.
>
> I would not consider this to be correct.

Really? In its contracted form, it's certainly idiomatic: "I don't
know what's the matter with her".

--
Cheers, Harvey

Canada for 30 years; S England since 1982.
(for e-mail, change harvey.news to harvey.van)