Do you eat soup or drink soup?

Arindam Banerjee

May 10, 2001, 1:23:30 AM5/10/01

Well?
Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com

Steve MacGregor

May 10, 2001, 3:03:09 AM5/10/01
>===== Original Message From Arindam Banerjee <donot...@interbulletin.bogus>

> Well?

Fairly well, thank you very kindly.

And I can either eat soup from a bowl with a spoon, or drink it directly
from
a mug, depending on my mood and the flavor of the soup.

--
Whom are you going to call? GRAMMAR BUSTERS!

Mike Lyle

May 10, 2001, 8:03:03 AM5/10/01
On Thu, 10 May 2001 05:23:30 +0000, in <3AFA25D2...@interbulletin.com>,
Arindam Banerjee wrote:

>Well?
You take soup.

Mike.

Ferg

May 10, 2001, 8:33:35 AM5/10/01

"Steve MacGregor" <stevema...@MailAndNews.com> wrote in message

> >===== Original Message From Arindam Banerjee
<donot...@interbulletin.bogus>

> > Well?
>
> Fairly well, thank you very kindly.
>
> And I can either eat soup from a bowl with a spoon, or drink it directly
> from
> a mug, depending on my mood and the flavor of the soup.

You might drink broth, but soup in a mug tends to be sipped or slurped.

jan sand

May 10, 2001, 10:02:42 AM5/10/01
On Thu, 10 May 2001 12:03:03 GMT, Mike Lyle <nos...@newsranger.com>
wrote:

In that way, of course, soup is like umbrage.

Jan Sand

Franke

May 10, 2001, 10:25:33 AM5/10/01

Drink it, of course. We drink medicine here as well.
Sometimes we even drink breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

John Lupton

May 10, 2001, 10:24:55 AM5/10/01
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 May 2001 05:23:30 +0000, in <3AFA25D2...@interbulletin.com>,

Some of us have soup, e.g., "I'm having soup for lunch".

---------------------------------------
John Lupton (lup...@isc.upenn.edu)
Office of Information Security
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA

Allen in Maryland

May 10, 2001, 10:53:25 AM5/10/01
On Thu, 10 May 2001 22:25:33 +0800, Franke wrote these memorable words...

My initial thoughts on this stated to hover around whether the soup was
being served in a bowl or mug (beaker) and whether or not the person
consuming the soup was using a spoon.

But the answer may be more simple. If the soup has chunks of vegetables,
meat, or noodles that are large enough to require chewing, then you're
eating it. If the soup is broth or puree, and requires no chewing, then
you're drinking it.

This explanation is totally inconsistent with how one would describe the
consumption of pudding. Pudding requires no chewing. (Assuming,
naturally, that the pudding has been cooked, cooled and congealed, or in
the case of instant pudding, assuming that it has simply congealed.) I've
never heard anyone refer to "drinking pudding"... unless, of course they
are drinking the pudding mixture before it has properly set.

Love and Hugs to All!
Allen*

*who doesn't touch instant pudding.

Mike Lyle

May 10, 2001, 11:29:06 AM5/10/01
I'm so glad you mentioned that. Sackbeater's *Culinaria Anglica, or the Coke's
Vade Mecum* of 1596 is the earliest source I've been able to track down for the
Dorset version of umbrage soup.

He's vague as to quantities as usual, but very insistent on the "Broathe's"
place on the springtime menu. "Gathere," he writes, "your umbrages of an earlye
morne when yet the dewe bee upon them, and they shall prove a mighty cleanser of
all ill humours and do likewise procure an heartye lustinesse, masshed inne a
gode broathe of bones, ..." etc. I've found a modernised recipe the perfect
chilled start to party dinners on a warm spring day -- the leaves and involucres
become coarse after mid-April.

Mike

R J Valentine

May 10, 2001, 1:44:53 PM5/10/01
On Thu, 10 May 2001 10:53:25 -0400 Allen in Maryland <arwa...@deletethis.writeme.com> wrote:

} On Thu, 10 May 2001 22:25:33 +0800, Franke wrote these memorable words...
}>
}>
}> Arindam Banerjee wrote:
}> >
}> > Well?

Not bad. You?

}> > _______________________________________________
}> > Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com
}>
}> Drink it, of course. We drink medicine here as well.

I disagree on the medicine part. I don't think I ever drink medicine
(unless you count Dr Pepper). I'd swallow medicine, when I'm not taking
it.

}
} My initial thoughts on this stated to hover around whether the soup was
} being served in a bowl or mug (beaker) and whether or not the person
} consuming the soup was using a spoon.

ObAUE aside: I'd use "is" there, rather than "was", but "was" is
certainly better than "were".

I wouldn't use "beaker" in Mainland English usage a-tall, ever, outside
chemistry usage.

The bowl or mug aspect is a clue, but mainly in eliminating "eat" for a
mug or cup, sans spoon. I might sip soup from either a spoon or a mug.

} But the answer may be more simple. If the soup has chunks of vegetables,
} meat, or noodles that are large enough to require chewing, then you're
} eating it.

That last I can go along with.

} If the soup is broth or puree, and requires no chewing, then
} you're drinking it.

Not in English usage. Sipping may imply swallowing, but I suspect that
drinking implies multiple swallowing all in a row. You might drink a
swallow at a time from a mug (or even directly from the bowl), but not so
much from a spoon. You might could drink it if it's cool, but hot more
likely you'd sip it. "Eat" in the sense of "finish" could include
"drink", but "drink" in the sense of "finish" could be dangerous.

} This explanation is totally inconsistent with how one would describe the
} consumption of pudding. Pudding requires no chewing. (Assuming,
} naturally, that the pudding has been cooked, cooled and congealed, or in
} the case of instant pudding, assuming that it has simply congealed.) I've
} never heard anyone refer to "drinking pudding"... unless, of course they
} are drinking the pudding mixture before it has properly set.

I don't think chewing would be a part of my choice of words, though it
could be a subordinate clue to the utensils used.

} Love and Hugs to All!
} Allen*
}
} *who doesn't touch instant pudding.

Well, so much for Maryland slack.

--
R. J. Valentine <mailto:r...@smart.net>
(but pudding isn't pudding without the skin (or at least a modifier))

jan sand

May 10, 2001, 2:15:03 PM5/10/01
On Thu, 10 May 2001 15:29:06 GMT, Mike Lyle <nos...@newsranger.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 May 2001 14:02:42 GMT, in <3afa9f5d...@news.mindspring.com>, jan
>sand wrote:
>>
>>On Thu, 10 May 2001 12:03:03 GMT, Mike Lyle <nos...@newsranger.com>
>>wrote:

>>>You take soup.
>>>
>>>Mike.
>>>

>>In that way, of course, soup is like umbrage.
>>
>I'm so glad you mentioned that. Sackbeater's *Culinaria Anglica, or the Coke's
>Vade Mecum* of 1596 is the earliest source I've been able to track down for the
>Dorset version of umbrage soup.
>
>He's vague as to quantities as usual, but very insistent on the "Broathe's"
>place on the springtime menu. "Gathere," he writes, "your umbrages of an earlye
>morne when yet the dewe bee upon them, and they shall prove a mighty cleanser of
>all ill humours and do likewise procure an heartye lustinesse, masshed inne a
>gode broathe of bones, ..." etc. I've found a modernised recipe the perfect
>chilled start to party dinners on a warm spring day -- the leaves and involucres
>become coarse after mid-April.
>
>Mike

I had no idea of the trap I had entered. A kind of verbal bouncing
betty and my head is blown off.

Jan Sand

Richard Fontana

May 10, 2001, 3:24:35 PM5/10/01
On Thu, 10 May 2001, R J Valentine wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2001 10:53:25 -0400 Allen in Maryland <arwa...@deletethis.writeme.com> wrote:
> }
> } My initial thoughts on this stated to hover around whether the soup was
> } being served in a bowl or mug (beaker) and whether or not the person
> } consuming the soup was using a spoon.
>
> ObAUE aside: I'd use "is" there, rather than "was", but "was" is
> certainly better than "were".
>
> I wouldn't use "beaker" in Mainland English usage a-tall, ever, outside
> chemistry usage.

Is Allen of Maryland contending that (perhaps outside of the US? in
Maryland?) "beaker" is a synonym for "mug"? I know there's an
alchemy-era, non-laboratoric usage but I think it refers to a visually
distinct sort of drinking container, of the sort often seen in pre-battle
feasts in Valhalla. And I wouldn't expect to see anyone consume soup out
of such a container. Mead, maybe.

Truly Donovan

May 10, 2001, 4:05:32 PM5/10/01
On Thu, 10 May 2001 03:03:09 -0400, Steve MacGregor
<stevema...@MailAndNews.com> wrote:

>And I can either eat soup from a bowl with a spoon, or drink it directly from
>a mug, depending on my mood and the flavor of the soup.

I should think the consistency would be more relevant than
the flavor.

In the USA, it is common to find on menus a choice of "cup
or bowl" for the soup, but it refers only to size of the
serving and not the manner of consumption.

--
Truly Donovan
http://www.trulydonovan.com

N.Mitchum

May 10, 2001, 6:42:30 PM5/10/01
to aj...@lafn.org
Arindam Banerjee wrote:
----
> Well?

I eat it when I have to, but never do I drink it. More likely,
I'll have soup.

----NM

Earle D Jones

May 10, 2001, 8:23:14 PM5/10/01
In article <3AFA25D2...@interbulletin.com>, Arindam Banerjee
<donot...@interbulletin.bogus> wrote:

> Well?

*
In San Francisco, eat soup.
In Tokyo, drink soup.

earle
*

Franke

May 10, 2001, 11:02:44 PM5/10/01

R J Valentine wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2001 10:53:25 -0400 Allen in Maryland <arwa...@deletethis.writeme.com> wrote:
>
> } On Thu, 10 May 2001 22:25:33 +0800, Franke wrote these memorable words...

[snip]

> }> Drink it, of course. We drink medicine here as well.
>
> I disagree on the medicine part. I don't think I ever drink medicine
> (unless you count Dr Pepper). I'd swallow medicine, when I'm not taking
> it.

Yes, but your "here" and my "here" are two different
"here"s. In Chinese and Japanese we drink
soup and medicine--always--but in English I take medicine
and eat soup, even broth from a cup--unless, of course,
someone asks me what I'm drinking.

[snip]

Bun Mui

May 11, 2001, 1:05:28 AM5/11/01

> Re: Do you eat soup or drink soup?
>
> From: Earle D Jones <earle...@home.com>
> Reply to: [1]Earle D Jones
> Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 00:23:14 GMT
> Newsgroups:
> [2]alt.usage.english
> Followup to: [3]newsgroup
>In article [5]<3AFA25D2...@interbulletin.com>, Arindam Banerjee

I eat chunky soup.

I drink consume soup.

Bun Mui

Peter Moylan

May 11, 2001, 2:10:35 AM5/11/01
John Lupton <th...@space.for.rent> wrote:
>On Thu, 10 May 2001 12:03:03 GMT, Mike Lyle <nos...@newsranger.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 May 2001 05:23:30 +0000, in <3AFA25D2...@interbulletin.com>,
>>Arindam Banerjee wrote:
>>>
>>>Well?
>>You take soup.
>
>Some of us have soup, e.g., "I'm having soup for lunch".

I'm thoroughly lost at this point. Someone enquires about your state
of health, and you all start talking about soup.

Have you ever been in the position where nobody will tell you what
the joke is?

--
Peter Moylan pe...@ee.newcastle.edu.au
See http://eepjm.newcastle.edu.au for OS/2 information and software

Matti Lamprhey

May 11, 2001, 4:31:26 AM5/11/01
"Bun Mui" <BunM...@hotmail.com> wrote...

> I eat chunky soup.
>
> I drink consume soup.

If the chunkiness is such that I regard myself as eating, then that
automatically disqualifies the stuff as soup. This seems so sensible and
logical that I'll fight anyone who gives me an argument upon the matter.

Apparently when I was about to be born the midwife made sure there was
plenty of boiling soup to hand, and it's always been my favourite food. I
remember a particularly flavoursome Madrilène at the old Rules Restaurant
in Covent Garden -- a consommé devoutly to be wished.

PS: my spell checker suggested the accented versions of those words.
Impressive.

Matti

Bob Cunningham

May 11, 2001, 10:34:59 AM5/11/01
On Fri, 11 May 2001 05:05:28 GMT, Bun Mui <BunM...@hotmail.com> said:

[ . . . ]

>I eat chunky soup.

>I drink consume soup.

You should try consommé; you might like it better than consume soup.

R H Draney

May 11, 2001, 10:58:14 AM5/11/01
"Matti Lamprhey" <matti-...@totally-official.com> wrote in message

> If the chunkiness is such that I regard myself as eating, then that
> automatically disqualifies the stuff as soup. This seems so sensible and
> logical that I'll fight anyone who gives me an argument upon the matter.

I asked this in afu some time back and we never got a sensible answer:

Apart from the way in which they are served, what exactly is the difference
between salsa and gazpacho?...

Any restaurant that ran out of either could substitute the other, and I
don't think anybody would notice....r

Armond Perretta

May 11, 2001, 10:51:08 AM5/11/01

"Bob Cunningham" <malgran...@bigfoot.com> wrote ...

> Bun Mui <BunM...@hotmail.com> said:
> >
> >I drink consume soup.
>
> You should try consommé; you might like it better than consume soup.

You would love my Aunt Sue. She once told me that she really liked to go
into Philadelphia for shopping. She usually had lunch at the Reading
Terminal. They had great consumer's soup.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

N.Mitchum

May 11, 2001, 2:58:44 PM5/11/01
to aj...@lafn.org
Peter Moylan wrote:
-----

> I'm thoroughly lost at this point. Someone enquires about your state
> of health, and you all start talking about soup.

You misunderstand. He's asking us if we well our soup. I've
always welled my own soup of course, though others may bad theirs.

----NM

jan sand

May 11, 2001, 6:17:29 PM5/11/01
On Thu, 10 May 2001 14:24:55 GMT, th...@space.for.rent (John Lupton)
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 May 2001 12:03:03 GMT, Mike Lyle <nos...@newsranger.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 May 2001 05:23:30 +0000, in <3AFA25D2...@interbulletin.com>,
>>Arindam Banerjee wrote:
>>>

>>>Well?
>>You take soup.
>
>Some of us have soup, e.g., "I'm having soup for lunch".
>

>---------------------------------------
>John Lupton (lup...@isc.upenn.edu)
>Office of Information Security
>University of Pennsylvania
>Philadelphia, PA

This, of course, is only vaguely related to the comment "I'm having my
mother-in-law for dinner".

Jan Sand

R H Draney

May 12, 2001, 3:32:24 AM5/12/01
"Armond Perretta" <ngre...@REMOVEmindspring.com> wrote in message

> You would love my Aunt Sue. She once told me that she really liked to go
> into Philadelphia for shopping. She usually had lunch at the Reading
> Terminal. They had great consumer's soup.

Sounds like my stepfather...he loved Monte Cristos, but could never order
them without asking "does that come with fruit compost"?...r

--
["SOYLENT BROWN IS HAMSTERS!" --- sig trial period expires 02/29/99]

Arindam Banerjee

May 14, 2001, 1:02:10 AM5/14/01

>>>You take soup.
>>
>>Some of us have soup, e.g., "I'm having soup for lunch".
>
>I'm thoroughly lost at this point. Someone enquires about your state
>of health, and you all start talking about soup.
>
>Have you ever been in the position where nobody will tell you what
>the joke is?

All will be revealed in due course. I have in mind a situation
where an Indian is confronted with pea soup. The question is
whether he drinks it, eats it, or... . Going by the kind responses
to my query, I think I'll construct his advice to his kin as "Always
drink soup".

Arindam Banerjee

Rainer Thonnes

May 14, 2001, 8:57:50 AM5/14/01
In article <MPG.156475669...@dialup.news.er>,

arwa...@DELETETHIS.writeme.com (Allen in Maryland) writes:

>This explanation is totally inconsistent with how one would describe the
>consumption of pudding. Pudding requires no chewing. (Assuming,
>naturally, that the pudding has been cooked, cooled and congealed, or in
>the case of instant pudding, assuming that it has simply congealed.) I've
>never heard anyone refer to "drinking pudding"... unless, of course they
>are drinking the pudding mixture before it has properly set.

Pudding most definitely *does* require chewing, regardless of whether it
is served as an accompaniment to meat (Yorkshire pudding) or whether it
contains meat itself (white pudding, black pudding, haggis).

You must be thinking of custard. Custard, of course, can be made up to a
thinner, pouring, consistency, which is very popular hereabouts. You pour
it over your cake, as a hot sauce.

Skitt

May 16, 2001, 8:46:57 PM5/16/01

"jan sand" <jan...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 10 May 2001 14:24:55 GMT, th...@space.for.rent (John Lupton)
> wrote:
> >
> >Some of us have soup, e.g., "I'm having soup for lunch".
> >
> This, of course, is only vaguely related to the comment "I'm having my
> mother-in-law for dinner".

I understand that the Brits sometimes eat Chinese for dinner.
--
Skitt (in SF Bay Area) http://i.am/skitt/
I speak English well -- I learn it from a book!

Arcadian Rises

May 16, 2001, 8:58:15 PM5/16/01
> This, of course, is only vaguely related to the comment "I'm having my
>> mother-in-law for dinner".
>
>I understand that the Brits sometimes eat Chinese for dinner.

One canibal to his dinner companion:

"I hate my mother in law!"

Dinner companion:

"Then try some mushrooms instead"