Get Hosed!

Greg Moritz

May 5, 1993, 11:36:18 AM5/5/93

Last night I told someone to 'Get Hosed!' They said that they
weren't interested in getting drunk. [ Drunk = Hosed? ]

I have always been under the impression that [ Screwed = Hosed ].

Is this a regional thing? Has the definition been changed without
someone notifying me?

[ Fucked = Hosed ] seems so much more sensible - as in slipping her
the hose ... Oh well. Help is appreciated in this matter.

David Casseres

May 5, 1993, 2:17:47 PM5/5/93

Same definitions, just two of them kinda smooshing together:

(drunk = fucked up) and (hosed = fucked) therefore (drunk = hosed).

-------------

David Casseres
Exclaimer: Hey!

Richard N Kitchen

May 6, 1993, 6:19:44 PM5/6/93

Since the subject came up, why are Canadians called hosers? Do
Canadians consider this a derogatory term?
--
Rick Kitchen
da...@cleveland.freenet.edu

Alan J Rosenthal

May 6, 1993, 9:58:27 PM5/6/93
da...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Richard N Kitchen) writes:
>Since the subject came up, why are Canadians called hosers? Do
>Canadians consider this a derogatory term?

I have NEVER heard this in real life, only in that stupid "great white north"
stuff. It's supposed to be a derogatory term in that fictional speech pattern.

Andrew B. Trageser

May 7, 1993, 9:30:45 AM5/7/93
In article <1sc2u0$6...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>, da...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu

(Richard N Kitchen) wrote:

> Since the subject came up, why are Canadians called hosers? Do
> Canadians consider this a derogatory term?
> --
> Rick Kitchen

In Canada, a hoser is a person who steals gasolene by siphoning it by mouth
with a hose. The fumes make you crazy, thus, a hoser.

Andy T.

Alan J Rosenthal

May 7, 1993, 4:27:39 PM5/7/93
trage...@alcoa.com (Andrew B. Trageser) writes:
>In Canada, a hoser is a person who steals gasolene by siphoning it by mouth
>with a hose. The fumes make you crazy, thus, a hoser.

Never heard of it. Have any CANADIANS heard this, or is this just another one
of those things They seem to keep saying about Us?

William R. Ward

May 8, 1993, 2:57:19 PM5/8/93
In article <1s8mti...@lynx.unm.edu>, gr...@draco.unm.edu (Greg Moritz) writes:
) Last night I told someone to 'Get Hosed!' They said that they
) weren't interested in getting drunk. [ Drunk = Hosed? ]
)
) I have always been under the impression that [ Screwed = Hosed ].

Hmm, I've never heard of "Hosed" meaning "Screwed" in the sexual
sense. To me it means to be intoxicated or to be in a bad situation.
It seems to be synonymous with "Fucked up."

I'm a native of central California, and my girlfriend, originally from
Pennsylvania and later D.C., concurs with me.
--
William R Ward __o Bay View Software
VoiceMail: +1 (408) 479-4072 _ \<,_ Internet: her...@cats.ucsc.edu

Jim Balter

May 9, 1993, 5:38:48 AM5/9/93

Partridge's gives 'A guy, a person, usu. implying contempt. Poss. Ontario
orig., also now used in Maritimes, and to a lesser degree in W. Can.: since
ca. 1970. Reported heard for a prostitute (Calgary usage), but I have never
heard it so used' (Leech, 1986)

Also:

hose job. A deception; cheating, a swindle, as in 'I gave him a real hose job
when he bought that old car': W. Can: mid-C.20, now ob., except in smaller
communities. (Leech, 1986)

hosing. "Failure meant a beating with a length of rubber pipe. Even that had
its special euphemism; it was called a hosing or siphoning' (Sinclair, 1977):
Eton: mid-C.20.

-- J Q B

Jim Peavler

May 10, 1993, 5:36:01 PM5/10/93

I thought it was Okies.

--
Jim Peavler My opinions do not exist.
pea...@plk.af.mil That is why they are called

Jim Peavler

May 10, 1993, 5:40:36 PM5/10/93
In article <HERMIT.93...@am.ucsc.edu>, her...@cats.UCSC.EDU (William R. Ward) writes:

|> Hmm, I've never heard of "Hosed" meaning "Screwed" in the sexual
|> sense. To me it means to be intoxicated or to be in a bad situation.
|> It seems to be synonymous with "Fucked up."
|>
|> I'm a native of central California, and my girlfriend, originally from
|> Pennsylvania and later D.C., concurs with me.

I have a friend in southern California whose wife is from Pennsylvania. They
agree with you and your girlfriend. Must be genetic.