---istocracy ???

John Coughlin

Aug 19, 1992, 10:23:05 PM8/19/92
In <Aug.19.21.56....@pilot.njin.net> jmg...@pilot.njin.net (Jim Green) writes:

>Kakistocracy is governance by the worst. I take this to mean the most
>evil, degraded, despicable, or the like. What is the form of
>governance that is by the least able or competent...as in the
>administration of a university...is this also kakistocracy?

A word I came up with a few years ago to describe this is "mediocracy".
--

Flesh: John Coughlin Elvis ate my Cadillac
Net: wc...@ccs.carleton.ca Vox: +1 613 957-2851 Fax: 990-7370

Jim Green

Aug 19, 1992, 9:56:35 PM8/19/92

Kakistocracy is governance by the worst. I take this to mean the most
evil, degraded, despicable, or the like. What is the form of
governance that is by the least able or competent...as in the
administration of a university...is this also kakistocracy?

Jim Green
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Name: James M. Green )*(
Email: jmg...@pilot.njin.net (***) "The Lord may be
Smail: Stockton State College NAMS )*(*)*( subtle, but
Pomona, NJ 08240-9988 (* (*) *) he is not mean."
ICBM: 39.49333 N 74.53083 W )*(*)*(
FAX: 609/652-4958 (***) A. Einstein
Voice: 609/652-4558 )*(
_______________________________________________|_______________________________

Dian De Sha

Aug 20, 1992, 12:49:42 PM8/20/92

>Kakistocracy is governance by the worst. I take this to mean the most
>evil, degraded, despicable, or the like. What is the form of
>governance that is by the least able or competent...as in the
>administration of a university...is this also kakistocracy?

Ineptocracy?

____
Dian

Chris Malcolm

Aug 21, 1992, 10:53:09 AM8/21/92

>Kakistocracy is governance by the worst. I take this to mean the most
>evil, degraded, despicable, or the like.

What's the etymology of this? Looks to me like it means "ruled by
shits" which is pretty common these days.
--
Chris Malcolm c...@uk.ac.ed.aifh +44 (0)31 650 3085
Department of Artificial Intelligence, Edinburgh University

wil...@vax.oxford.ac.uk

Aug 24, 1992, 10:43:57 AM8/24/92
In article <25...@castle.ed.ac.uk>, c...@castle.ed.ac.uk (Chris Malcolm) writes:
> In article <Aug.19.21.56....@pilot.njin.net> jmg...@pilot.njin.net (Jim Green) writes:
>
>>Kakistocracy is governance by the worst. I take this to mean the most
>>evil, degraded, despicable, or the like.
>
> What's the etymology of this? Looks to me like it means "ruled by
> shits" which is pretty common these days.

Surely that's "Koprocracy"---or "Coprocracy" once the Anglicisation has
happened. A descriptive term for a police state?
--

Stephen Wilcox | Remember what happened to the dinosaurs!
wil...@maths.oxford.ac.uk | I did---and look what happened to me.

Roger Lustig

Aug 26, 1992, 2:30:55 PM8/26/92
In article <1992Aug24....@vax.oxford.ac.uk> wil...@vax.oxford.ac.uk writes:
>In article <25...@castle.ed.ac.uk>, c...@castle.ed.ac.uk (Chris Malcolm) writes:
>> In article <Aug.19.21.56....@pilot.njin.net> jmg...@pilot.njin.net (Jim Green) writes:

>>>Kakistocracy is governance by the worst. I take this to mean the most
>>>evil, degraded, despicable, or the like.

>> What's the etymology of this? Looks to me like it means "ruled by
>> shits" which is pretty common these days.

I once blew this one right here on the net, so:
'kakos' means 'bad,' not 'caca.'

>Surely that's "Koprocracy"---or "Coprocracy" once the Anglicisation has
>happened. A descriptive term for a police state?

A *Singing* police state.

But one that gets cancelled after 13 weeks, doncha know?

Roger

Margaret Mikulska

Aug 27, 1992, 2:22:18 AM8/27/92
In article <1992Aug26....@Princeton.EDU> ro...@crux.Princeton.EDU (Roger Lustig) writes:
>In article <1992Aug24....@vax.oxford.ac.uk> wil...@vax.oxford.ac.uk writes:

>>> What's the etymology of this? Looks to me like it means "ruled by
>>> shits" which is pretty common these days.
>
>I once blew this one right here on the net, so:
>'kakos' means 'bad,' not 'caca.'

Actually, I don't think you blew it. It seems that 'kaka-' or 'kakka-'
was an imitative IE root of the word meaning "to defecate". Hence the Greek
'kakos' = "bad", but also Latin 'cacare' (2nd 'a' long) and Old Norse
*'kuka' (reconstructed root), both meaning "to defecate". And yes, the
Greek 'kakos' _is_ related to 'kaka'. So you didn't miss by far.

(Let's get out of here!!!)

-Margaret

the Crisco Kid

Aug 27, 1992, 6:33:37 AM8/27/92
>In article <25...@castle.ed.ac.uk>, c...@castle.ed.ac.uk (Chris Malcolm) writes:
>> In article <Aug.19.21.56....@pilot.njin.net> jmg...@pilot.njin.net (Jim Green) writes:
>>>Kakistocracy is governance by the worst. I take this to mean the most
>>>evil, degraded, despicable, or the like.
>> What's the etymology of this? Looks to me like it means "ruled by
>> shits" which is pretty common these days.
>Surely that's "Koprocracy"---or "Coprocracy" once the Anglicisation has
>happened. A descriptive term for a police state?

And, therefore, presumably the inspiration for that *delightful* American
TV series, "Cop Rock"? :)

Kay
--
6'2", dark short hair, blue eyes, bisexual and horny as ....
Kay Dekker, Dept of Industrial Design, Coventry University, Coventry UK