how to say bye in a formal letter

Christian

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99

How do you end a formal letter?

I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
I think it sounds stange?).

If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
have been told that it is more used with informal letters.

So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?

Yours faithfully,
Christian
Denmark, Europe

--
chri...@ninja.dk.REMOVE_THIS
http://zzz.ninja.dk (in Danish)

Mitch Poplack

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99

Christian wrote:

> How do you end a formal letter?
>
> I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
> strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
> I think it sounds stange?).
>
> If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
> have been told that it is more used with informal letters.
>
> So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?

I don't think there is a Right Way. I would usually use "Sincerely,"
because it is unoffensive but you can really use any adverb you want
which describes your state while writing the letter or how you want the
reader to perceive you. If you don't like this you can close with
something else, like just "Thank you". Sometimes I use an entire
sentence, for example, "Thank you for your time". I also seem to notice
a growing trend, particularly in email, where people just write their
name without a traditionally close. You can probably get away with this
too.

Mitch

P.S. see?

Skitt

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99

Mitch Poplack <pop...@stanford.edu> wrote in message

>I would usually use "Sincerely,"
>because it is unoffensive but you can really use any adverb you want
>which describes your state while writing the letter or how you want the
>reader to perceive you.

Minor point -- there are the words "unoffending" and "inoffensive", but
there is no "unoffensive".
--
Skitt http://i.am/skitt/
Central Florida CAUTION: My opinion may vary.

Mitch Poplack

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99

Skitt wrote:

> Minor point -- there are the words "unoffending" and "inoffensive", but
> there is no "unoffensive".

Thanks for patronizing me. Isn't it great that half the traffic on this
news group is nitpicks. Sometimes I think I should reread five times before
posting, but who has the time?

khann

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
Christian wrote:

> Hi,

> How do you end a formal letter?
>
> I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
> strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
> I think it sounds stange?).
>
> If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
> have been told that it is more used with informal letters.
>
> So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?
>
> Yours faithfully,
> Christian
> Denmark, Europe

The choice of closure depends largely on the subject of your letter, the
recipient of your letter, your relationship with the recipient, and
current regional usage. If you're writing to the Queen of the UK you
might wish to choose an extremely formal closure such as "I remain Your
Majesty's obedient servant". If writing to the local council the
closure will be understandably less formal.

"Yours faithfully" -- Oxford English would have us believe that this
form should be used to close a letter bearing a salutation such as "Dear
Sir/Madam"; prescribes "Yours sincerely" for letters bearing the
salutation "Dear Mr/Ms/Mrs Whatever"; and informs us that "Yours truly"
has gone out of vogue. This advice may be useful in the UK but it is not
valid in most places in North America. In Canada and the US "Yours
sincerely" or "Sincerely" are the most common closures; "Yours truly"
can also be used but many would consider it to be less formal.

If you want to drag faith into the matter and you happen to be writing
to a clergyman of your own religion you could close with "Yours in
Faith"; or if you're informing your wife of the fact that you've run off
to Corfu with a seventeen year old bimbette you could close with
"Faithlessly yours" -- rather different implications.

"Regards" would be considered to be informal everywhere, no better than

As ever,

Khann

khann

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
Skitt wrote:

> Mitch Poplack <pop...@stanford.edu> wrote in message
>
> >I would usually use "Sincerely,"
> >because it is unoffensive but you can really use any adverb you want
> >which describes your state while writing the letter or how you want the
> >reader to perceive you.
>
> Minor point -- there are the words "unoffending" and "inoffensive", but
> there is no "unoffensive".

Picky, picky, picky!

But you didn't comment on "a traditionally close". My question is: a
traditionally close what? Is it illegal to omit it? Is that why he
commented that you can probably get away with it? If illegal, is it a
misdemeanour offense or a moving violation? If you get caught will Ken
Starr want to talk to you about possible White House involvement? The
bind moggles at the vast range of implications.

Lars Eighner

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
In our last episode <36daca83...@news.inet.tele.dk>,
the lovely and talented chri...@ninja.dk.REMOVE_THIS (Christian)
broadcast on alt.usage.english:

|Hi,
|
|How do you end a formal letter?

Yours truly,

is safe in all circumstances, at least in the US. This is
a matter of form. The words are not supposed to be interpreted.
This is rather similar to "How do you do?" which is the formal
thing to say when you are introduced to someone. It is not
really a question and a response as to how you do is not wanted.
When you stick to the form, you minimize the chances of someone
stopping to wonder what you meant by something.

|I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
|strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
|I think it sounds stange?).

Yours faithfully,

is not a common close in America. The further you depart from
the form, the more you increase the chances of someone trying
to interpret literally or of being unsure what you meant.
"Yours faithfully," is close enough to the form that it would
probably pass unnoticed by most people.

|If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
|have been told that it is more used with informal letters.

"Sincerely" is supposed to be used with somewhat less formal letters,
such as letter to a school chum conveying personal news. Many
Americans, however, don't know the difference and use "Yours
truly" and "Sincerely" interchangeably. "Regards," is not very
common; "Warm regards" is useful for answering fan mail.

|So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?

For letters to the US, stick with "Yours truly" for business
matters and letters addressed to people you do not know personally.

--
Lars Eighner 700 Hearn #101 Austin TX 78703 eig...@io.com
(512) 474-1920 (FAX answers 6th ring) http://www.io.com/%7Eeighner/

Murray Arnow

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
Mitch Poplack <pop...@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Skitt wrote:
>> Minor point -- there are the words "unoffending" and "inoffensive", but
>> there is no "unoffensive".

> Thanks for patronizing me. Isn't it great that half the traffic on this

> news group is nitpicks. Sometimes I think I should reread five times before
> posting, but who has the time?

Posting here ya takes yer chances, particularly if you don't read the FAQ.

Mitch Poplack

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99

Murray Arnow wrote:

> Posting here ya takes yer chances, particularly if you don't read the FAQ.

I know, I know.... Would you buy that U is next to I on the keyboard?

Mitch

Dan Scorpio

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99

'Yours Faithfully' is correct in UK business letters.

Gary Williams

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
In article <X7t22AwZ...@io.com>,
eig...@io.com wrote:

> For letters to the US, stick with "Yours truly" for business
> matters and letters addressed to people you do not know personally.

Whatever happened to "Very truly yours"?

Gary Williams

M.J.Powell

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
In article <36DAFA0...@stanford.edu>, Mitch Poplack
<pop...@stanford.edu> writes

>Murray Arnow wrote:
>
>> Posting here ya takes yer chances, particularly if you don't read the FAQ.
>
>I know, I know.... Would you buy that U is next to I on the keyboard?
Have you only just noticed?

Trevor Smithson

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
Hi Christian,

Actually "Sincerely" and "Regards" are perfectly ok for formal
letters. And if I ever wrote a personal letter to a family member
or close friend and ended with those endings, they'd probably
wonder what was wrong with me and why I'd become so
aloof.

Bye/Farvel,

Trevor

BTW "Yours Faithfully" sounds strange to me too.

On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 17:28:41 GMT, chri...@ninja.dk.REMOVE_THIS
(Christian) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>How do you end a formal letter?
>

>I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
>strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
>I think it sounds stange?).
>

>If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
>have been told that it is more used with informal letters.
>

>So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?

Joseph C Fineman

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
chri...@ninja.dk.REMOVE_THIS (Christian) writes:

>How do you end a formal letter?

>I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
>strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
>I think it sounds stange?).

>If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
>have been told that it is more used with informal letters.

What I was taught in school (U.S., 1940s) was that "Yours truly" is
standard for business & other formal letters, and "Sincerely yours"
for personal letters to those with whom you are not intimate enough
for "Love", "All the best", or whatever. Accordingly, I would make it
"Yours truly" in an ordinary business letter (say, an order).
However, in dealing with my customers (I am a freelance copyeditor), I
prefer "Yours faithfully".

--- Joe Fineman j...@world.std.com

||: Love like Matter is much :||
||: Odder than we thought. :||

Skitt

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99

khann wrote in message <36DAF3...@hitchhiker.ca>...

>Skitt wrote:
>>
>> Mitch Poplack <pop...@stanford.edu> wrote in message
>>
>> >I would usually use "Sincerely,"
>> >because it is unoffensive but you can really use any adverb you want
>> >which describes your state while writing the letter or how you want
the
>> >reader to perceive you.
>>
>> Minor point -- there are the words "unoffending" and "inoffensive",
but
>> there is no "unoffensive".
>
>Picky, picky, picky!
>
>But you didn't comment on "a traditionally close". My question is: a
>traditionally close what? Is it illegal to omit it? Is that why he
>commented that you can probably get away with it? If illegal, is it a
>misdemeanour offense or a moving violation? If you get caught will Ken
>Starr want to talk to you about possible White House involvement? The
>bind moggles at the vast range of implications.

That one was so obvious that I missed it. <g>

(I must have mentally supplied the right words. Either that, or I no
longer cared.)
--
Skitt http://come.to/skitt/
If you are posting a reply, please, do not email it. It just confuses

Mitch Poplack

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99

Skitt wrote:

> khann wrote in message <36DAF3...@hitchhiker.ca>...

> >But you didn't comment on "a traditionally close". My question is: a

> That one was so obvious that I missed it. <g>

> (I must have mentally supplied the right words. Either that, or I no
> longer cared.)

OK, I'm not too proud to say you are right. I have a terrible tendency to
type words I'm not thinking (because my fingers don't understand language).
Then I reread the same way because I already know what I meant to say. From
now on, I will get out my trusty text-to-speech program before posting to
this (tough) crowd.

Back on topic, I sign this post:

With embarrassment,

Mitch Poplack

Richard Fontana

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Christian wrote:

> Hi,

> How do you end a formal letter?
>
> I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
> strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
> I think it sounds stange?).
>
> If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
> have been told that it is more used with informal letters.
>

> So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?

In the US, "Sincerely yours" or "Sincerely" are most commonly used for
formal letters. "Very truly yours" is occasionally seen, and shows more
respect and deference (Lawyers often use this in
formal correspondence with judges).

"Regards" is more informal, and one is more likely to see it as the
closing of a telex message, or an e-mail message, than in a letter.
Even in those contexts "Regards" is not commonly used by Americans, other
than Anglophiles, but "Best regards" is quite common. I'm not sure if it
would be appropriate to close a letter with "Best regards", without
something further. I say this because I once looked into the matter
several years ago and forgot what the answer was (it was after I
received a letter from a college professor that closed with "Best
regards.") There are lots of books on
writing style and that sort of thing out there which you could consult.

I think "Yours faithfully" is in the linguistic ash-heap along with such
items as "Your obedient servant".

RF

snews

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
I understand the sentiment. It's a risky forum. You need a full arsenal of
spelling and grammar tools, and still must hope for the best when posting to
this group... but that's the risk one must take to converse with such lofty
minds!

;^P

Mitch Poplack wrote in message <36DAF0B4...@stanford.edu>...

>Skitt wrote:
>
>> Minor point -- there are the words "unoffending" and "inoffensive", but
>> there is no "unoffensive".

snews

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
While I'm sure it's not proper, I've adopted the practice of simply signing
off with:

Yours,

It's not accurate, in that since the letter is a formal letter, I'm not
really theirs. But "Yours truly", and "Sincerely" and the others that have
been mentioned sound too stilted to suit my style.

Christian wrote in message <36daca83...@news.inet.tele.dk>...

>Hi,
>
>How do you end a formal letter?
>
>I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
>strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
>I think it sounds stange?).
>
>If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
>have been told that it is more used with informal letters.
>
>So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?
>

>Yours faithfully,
>Christian
>Denmark, Europe

TJ

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
snews wrote:

> I understand the sentiment. It's a risky forum. You need a full arsenal of
> spelling and grammar tools, and still must hope for the best when posting to
> this group... but that's the risk one must take to converse with such lofty
> minds!

Heck, you might even learn something.
tj

A. Farrell

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to Christian

Christian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do you end a formal letter?
>
> I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
> strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
> I think it sounds stange?).
>
> If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
> have been told that it is more used with informal letters.
>
> So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?

"Yours faithfully" for a business letter; "yours sincerely", or simply,
"sincerely" for one more personal in tone (but not necessarily one where
the recipient is known to you); and "yours truly" for a genuinely
personal letter. These are conventions generally agreed upon and ought to
be used, lest something much less appropriate and embarrassingly
idiosyncratic be chosen instead. For instance, a young women finished a
post on another NG some months ago with "love from". Clearly such a
complimentary ending is ridiculous when addressed to a vast and
amorphous group of unknown people.

In my view, expressions like "regards" , "cheers" and "love" belong to
rather more informal correspondence but should still be chosen with
regard to their appropriateness. For instance, can I really send loving
greetings to that person; or would "best regards" be better.

Finally, notwithstanding the tendency towards an extreme informality in
email (which is *not* part of the original enquiry I realise), I think
that questions of appropriate tone and formality -- especially as
signalled by the complimentary opening and closing -- are still of great
importance for those who wish to be genuinely polite and have some
influence upon the recipient.

Cheers,

AF.

Ranjit Mathews

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Christian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do you end a formal letter?
>
> I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
> strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
> I think it sounds stange?).
>
> If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
> have been told that it is more used with informal letters.
>
> So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?

If you address a person by name with a formal salutation such as "Dear
Mr. Christian", end the letter with "Yours sincerely". If you start with
"Dear Sir / Madam", end the letter with "Yours truly" or "Yours
faithfully".

If you want to suck up to the addressee, you could say, "begging to be
your most humble servant", but this is rather archaic :-)

John Kilburn

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

Christian wrote in message <36daca83...@news.inet.tele.dk>...
>Hi,
>
>How do you end a formal letter?
As ever, I suppose I can be accused of being old-fashioned, but the usage I
was taught (in England) which I still use very happily is ...
If I begin the letter with someone's name, e.g. 'Dear Miss Smith' I end it
'Yours truly'. If I begin it 'Dear sir or Madam' I end it 'Yours
faithfully'.
j.k.

John Kilburn

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

Dan Scorpio wrote in message <7beug4$svb$1...@newnews.global.net.uk>...

>'Yours Faithfully' is correct in UK business letters.

Shouldn't it be a lower-case 'f'? While we're at it I remember that when I
was doing national service (conscription) in 1950's Britain I was taught to
end any letter to a superior officer ...
'I have the honour to be, Sir, your obedient servant' ...
Those were the days.
j.k.

Mike Barnes

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
In alt.usage.english, Mitch Poplack <pop...@stanford.edu> wrote

>Skitt wrote:
>
>> Minor point -- there are the words "unoffending" and "inoffensive", but
>> there is no "unoffensive".
>
>Thanks for patronizing me.

Actually you've not been patronised, you've been *Skitted*. It's an urge that
he apparently finds difficult to control.

Yr. humble & obt. servt.

Mike

--
-- Mike Barnes, Stockport, England.
-- If you post a response to Usenet, please *don't* send me a copy by e-mail.

Truly Donovan

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:39:19 -0600, eig...@io.com (Lars Eighner)
wrote:

>In our last episode <36daca83...@news.inet.tele.dk>,
>the lovely and talented chri...@ninja.dk.REMOVE_THIS (Christian)
>broadcast on alt.usage.english:

>|Hi,
>|
>|How do you end a formal letter?
>

>Yours truly,
>
>is safe in all circumstances, at least in the US.

For some people.

I use "Sincerely."

--
Truly Donovan
reply to truly at lunemere dot com

John Holmes

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

Skitt wrote in message <7bepgv$c2...@svlss.lmms.lmco.com>...

>Minor point -- there are the words "unoffending" and "inoffensive", but
>there is no "unoffensive".

That's a dangerously categorical statement. I found it in two
dictionaries.

Regards,
John.
hol...@smart.net.au
My newsfeed has been very erratic lately.
I'd appreciate e-mail copies of any replies.

John Davies

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
In article <36DB224F...@trump.net.au>, A. Farrell
<afar...@trump.net.au> writes

>Christian wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How do you end a formal letter?
>>
>> I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
>> strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
>> I think it sounds stange?).
>>
>> If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
>> have been told that it is more used with informal letters.
>>
>> So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?
>>

>"Yours faithfully" for a business letter; "yours sincerely", or simply,
>"sincerely" for one more personal in tone (but not necessarily one where
>the recipient is known to you); and "yours truly" for a genuinely
>personal letter. These are conventions generally agreed upon and ought to
>be used, lest something much less appropriate and embarrassingly
>idiosyncratic be chosen instead.
[...]

It is worth adding that the foregoing applies to British (and I assume
also Australian) convention, which differs, as other messages have
already shown, from the norm in the USA. The simple rule of thumb that
most British business and official correspondents adopt is that if a
letter starts "Dear Sir" (or "Dear Madam") then it ends with "Yours
faithfully", whilst if it starts with "Dear Mr Smith" the end is "Yours
sincerely". If you are on first name terms with your correspondent then
you are free to sign off pretty much as you please. "Sincerely yours"
and similar inversions are relatively uncommon in British usage.

--
John Davies (jo...@redwoods.demon.co.uk)

M.J.Powell

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
In article <7bf58h$bii$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, Gary Williams
<will...@ahec.edu> writes

>In article <X7t22AwZ...@io.com>,
> eig...@io.com wrote:
>
> > For letters to the US, stick with "Yours truly" for business
>> matters and letters addressed to people you do not know personally.
>

>Whatever happened to "Very truly yours"?

UK usage seems to be:

If you start 'Dear Mr. Smith' then finish with 'Yours sincerely'
" " " 'Dear Sir' " " " ' Yours faithfully'.

--
Mike The life that I have
Is all that I have

M.J.Powell

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
In article <7bgdcg$tk8$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, John Kilburn
<j...@kilburnj.freeserve.co.uk> writes

Oh Yes!

>j.k.

Skitt

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

snews <stop...@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message

[I rearranged the posts in the proper order]

>Christian wrote in message <36daca83...@news.inet.tele.dk>...

>>Hi,
>>
>>How do you end a formal letter?
>>
>>I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
>>strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
>>I think it sounds stange?).
>>
>>If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
>>have been told that it is more used with informal letters.
>>
>>So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?
>>

>>Yours faithfully,
>>Christian
>>Denmark, Europe

>While I'm sure it's not proper, I've adopted the practice of simply
signing
>off with:
>
> Yours,
>
>It's not accurate, in that since the letter is a formal letter, I'm not
>really theirs. But "Yours truly", and "Sincerely" and the others that
have
>been mentioned sound too stilted to suit my style.

I also don't feel that I am someone's something, but I *do* try to be
sincere in my business dealings. I end my business letters with
"Sincerely," and my friends get whatever the mood strikes me to say at
the time.

Cheers!
--
Skitt http://i.am/skitt/
Central Florida CAUTION: My opinion may vary.

khann

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Mitch Poplack wrote:
> Skitt wrote:
> > khann wrote:
> > >But you didn't comment on "a traditionally close" ...
> > That one was so obvious that I missed it. <g> ...
> OK, I'm not too proud to say you are right ...

> Back on topic, I sign this post:
> With embarrassment,

Don't be embarassed. Think of yourself as a content provider or an
e-social animator. If it weren't for the typos, unintentional
malapropisms, and counter-troll posts most of the truly entertaining
traffic would be missing from a.u.e.

Skitt

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

John Holmes <hol...@smart.net.au> wrote in message

>Skitt wrote in message <7bepgv$c2...@svlss.lmms.lmco.com>...
>

>>Minor point -- there are the words "unoffending" and "inoffensive", but
>>there is no "unoffensive".
>
>That's a dangerously categorical statement. I found it in two
>dictionaries.

Yeah. I guess, I was too categorical. Sorry. I was relying on my own
experience and the support of only a few dictionaries. It was not very
wise in not consulting the unabridged ones.

Skitt

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

Mike Barnes <mi...@exodus.co.uk> wrote in message

>In alt.usage.english, Mitch Poplack <pop...@stanford.edu> wrote
>>

>>Skitt wrote:
>>
>>> Minor point -- there are the words "unoffending" and "inoffensive",
but
>>> there is no "unoffensive".
>>
>>Thanks for patronizing me.
>
>Actually you've not been patronised, you've been *Skitted*. It's an
urge that
>he apparently finds difficult to control.

Yup. I admit it. That is why I post only to this NG. I am actually trying
to improve my usage of English.

Gary Williams

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
In article <36ddcccc...@news3.ibm.net>,
tr...@lunemere.com wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:39:19 -0600, eig...@io.com (Lars Eighner)
> wrote:

> >Yours truly,
> >
> >is safe in all circumstances, at least in the US.
>
> For some people.
>
> I use "Sincerely."

Once again the dangers of generalization are demonstrated.

But could you make it work by putting the comma after the first word instead
of after the second?

Mitch Poplack

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

Skitt wrote:

> John Holmes <hol...@smart.net.au> wrote in message
>

> >That's a dangerously categorical statement. I found it [unoffensive] in

> two
> >dictionaries.
>
> Yeah. I guess, I was too categorical. Sorry. I was relying on my own
> experience and the support of only a few dictionaries. It was not very
> wise in not consulting the unabridged ones.

Ha! I guess we are even now. And by the way, it takes a lot to get me to
use and exclamation point and start a sentence with "and".

Mitch

Ross Howard

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 22:53:12 GMT, j...@world.std.com (Joseph C Fineman)
wrote:

>chri...@ninja.dk.REMOVE_THIS (Christian) writes:
>
>>How do you end a formal letter?
>
>>I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
>>strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
>>I think it sounds stange?).
>
>>If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
>>have been told that it is more used with informal letters.
>

>What I was taught in school (U.S., 1940s) was that "Yours truly" is
>standard for business & other formal letters, and "Sincerely yours"
>for personal letters to those with whom you are not intimate enough
>for "Love", "All the best", or whatever. Accordingly, I would make it
>"Yours truly" in an ordinary business letter (say, an order).
>However, in dealing with my customers (I am a freelance copyeditor), I
>prefer "Yours faithfully".

Interesting. That would generally be considered to be too formal for
most supplier/customer[1] correspondence in the UK (except for spec
letters to as-yet-unknown recipients or formula invoice-chasing stuff
to accounts departments).

As other Brit posters have no doubt mentioned by now, how we finish
depends almost entirely on how we started -- "Dear Sir" or "Dear Sir
or Madam" gets a "Yours faithfully", "Dear Mr Smith" gets a "Yours
sincerely", and "Dear John" will probably be paired up with "Regards"
or "Best regards".

[1. Do you really call the people you provide copy-editing services
for your "customers"? I think most right-pond writers and editors
would call them "clients", since what's being sold is a professional
service rather than goods or materials.]

Ross H.

Peter Moylan

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Dan Scorpio <zen...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:

>'Yours Faithfully' is correct in UK business letters.

And "Yours sincerely" in personal letters. I had trouble with this
for a long time, but I've finally figured out the logic.

In a business letter, you want to avoid saying whether you're sincere.
When writing a personal letter, it's more important to avoid saying
whether you've been faithful.

--
Peter Moylan pe...@ee.newcastle.edu.au

Brian J Goggin

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 21:11:00 GMT, rossh...@my-dejanews.com (Ross
Howard) wrote:

[...]

>[1. Do you really call the people you provide copy-editing services
>for your "customers"? I think most right-pond writers and editors
>would call them "clients", since what's being sold is a professional
>service rather than goods or materials.]

"Punters" or "those goddam nuisances" ....

Customers is customers; even rent-seekers have 'em.

bjg

James Follett

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
In article <7bgqle$sj...@svlss.lmms.lmco.com> sk...@i.am "Skitt" writes:

>Yup. I admit it. That is why I post only to this NG. I am actually trying
>to improve my usage of English.

If that's quantitive, you mean you're trying to use more English?
Have a heart, Alec, you've already elevated gabbiness to an artform.
What more do you want?

--
James Follett -- novelist http://www.davew.demon.co.uk

Truly Donovan

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 16:45:58 GMT, Gary Williams <will...@ahec.edu>
wrote:

>In article <36ddcccc...@news3.ibm.net>,
> tr...@lunemere.com wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:39:19 -0600, eig...@io.com (Lars Eighner)
>> wrote:
>
>> >Yours truly,
>> >
>> >is safe in all circumstances, at least in the US.
>>
>> For some people.
>>
>> I use "Sincerely."
>
>Once again the dangers of generalization are demonstrated.
>
>But could you make it work by putting the comma after the first word instead
>of after the second?

I abandoned that practice at about age 12.

a1a5...@bc.sympatico.ca

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 03:09:33 GMT, tru...@ibm.net (Truly Donovan)
wrote:

>Truly Donovan
That is indeed the age at which the female of the species begins
to recognise all the possible implications of "Yours".

Joseph C Fineman

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
rossh...@my-dejanews.com (Ross Howard) writes:

>[1. Do you really call the people you provide copy-editing services
>for your "customers"? I think most right-pond writers and editors
>would call them "clients", since what's being sold is a professional
>service rather than goods or materials.]

I think, in fact, that most U.S. copyeditors would agree with you; but
"client" sounds pompous to me, at least in casual conversation -- as
if I were pretending to be a lawyer. Similarly, I snigger whenever I
hear a budding journalist or politician called an "intern"; in my
book, hospitals have interns, and everybody else has apprentices. But
remember, I am an ornery 61.

--- Joe Fineman j...@world.std.com

||: What is almost sure to happen can still take forever on :||
||: average. :||

Robert Lieblich

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
Joseph C Fineman wrote:

<snip>

> I think, in fact, that most U.S. copyeditors would agree with you; but
> "client" sounds pompous to me, at least in casual conversation -- as
> if I were pretending to be a lawyer. Similarly, I snigger whenever I
> hear a budding journalist or politician called an "intern"; in my
> book, hospitals have interns, and everybody else has apprentices. But
> remember, I am an ornery 61.

The first year physician in the family reports that current practice in
the US is to combine medical internship and residency into a single term
of several years (depending on specialty), all of which (including first
year out of med school) is a "residency." She says "intern" isn't used
even as slang for a first-year resident, at least not where she is a
resident.

Not that ER is authoritative in this matter, but I think it follows the
same practice.

This leaves the term "intern" free for the monicas (generic use, no
caps) of this world.

Bob Lieblich

Ranjit Mathews

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
John Kilburn wrote:

> Christian wrote in message <36daca83...@news.inet.tele.dk>...
> >Hi,
> >

> >How do you end a formal letter?

> As ever, I suppose I can be accused of being old-fashioned, but the usage I
> was taught (in England) which I still use very happily is ...
> If I begin the letter with someone's name, e.g. 'Dear Miss Smith' I end it
> 'Yours truly'. If I begin it 'Dear sir or Madam' I end it 'Yours
> faithfully'.
> j.k.

Interesting. I was taught that "sincerely" went with Mr. / Ms. and that
"truly" went with "Sir / Madam". Incidentally, my teacher had spent the first
decade or so of his career teaching English at a public school in India where
the typical student was a child of a junior officer in the British Indian
armed forces. (Senior officers could afford to send their children to boarding
schools in England).

Rachel Meredith Kadel-Garcia

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 20:23:26 -0500, Robert Lieblich <lieb...@erols.com> wrote:
>Joseph C Fineman wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> I think, in fact, that most U.S. copyeditors would agree with you; but
>> "client" sounds pompous to me, at least in casual conversation -- as
>> if I were pretending to be a lawyer. Similarly, I snigger whenever I
>> hear a budding journalist or politician called an "intern"; in my
>> book, hospitals have interns, and everybody else has apprentices. But
>> remember, I am an ornery 61.
>
>The first year physician in the family reports that current practice in
>the US is to combine medical internship and residency into a single term
>of several years (depending on specialty), all of which (including first
>year out of med school) is a "residency." She says "intern" isn't used
>even as slang for a first-year resident, at least not where she is a
>resident.

My aunt, who started her residency about 10 years ago and finished
quite recently (hers was a circuitous route), certainly uses the term
"intern" for a first year resident. I don't know whether the
difference is regional or specific to particular hospitals, or if
usage in the field has changed quite recently.

>Not that ER is authoritative in this matter, but I think it follows the
>same practice.

Nope. What's-her-face, the British one, for reasons having to do with
losing her fellowship, has become an intern; there was much discussion
of whose intern she was, and what the role of an intern is.

Rachel

darren.d...@gmail.com

May 5, 2015, 4:54:38 PM5/5/15
This is an excellent example of how to best end correspondence. It would be the European-preferred way to say goodbye. Sincerely Yours or Warmest Regards as well. The multiple languages in Europe are able to translate their goodbye into English and it sounds more varied.

On Monday, March 1, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Christian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do you end a formal letter?
>
> I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
> strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
> I think it sounds stange?).
>
> If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
> have been told that it is more used with informal letters.
>
> So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?
>
> Yours faithfully,
> Christian
> Denmark, Europe

Don Phillipson

May 5, 2015, 5:56:39 PM5/5/15
On Monday, March 1, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Christian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do you end a formal letter?
>
> I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
> strange . . .
>
> So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?

This is a matter of convention (not laws or personal feelings)
and these conventions are (or were for the whole of the 20th
century) taught in business school. "Yours faithfully" remains
the single likeliest signoff for a formal letter in English.

The conventions were described in detail in "letter books"
found in most libraries, with specimen letters for every
imaginable purpose, from someone seeking a job to a
lawyer threatening court action. They also displayed the
formal ways of addressing (in person, or in a letter, or on
an envelope) a prince, a legislator, a bishop, or any other
sort of dignitary. When I was taught British military official
writing, every letter had to begin:
"I have the honour to (report, request, invite, etc.) . . ."
and had to end:
"I have the honour to be,
Sir,
Your obedient servant."
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Tony Cooper

May 5, 2015, 10:16:08 PM5/5/15
On Tue, 5 May 2015 17:56:15 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
<e9...@SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:

>On Monday, March 1, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Christian wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How do you end a formal letter?
>>
>> I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
>> strange . . .
>>
>> So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?
>
>This is a matter of convention (not laws or personal feelings)
>and these conventions are (or were for the whole of the 20th
>century) taught in business school. "Yours faithfully" remains
>the single likeliest signoff for a formal letter in English.

Evidently, I have never been the recipient of a formal letter. I've
never seen that.

And, in business school, I was never taught that. Neither at Indiana
University or at Northwestern University. Business letters were
covered in classes at both.

I guess I should also point out that we were never instructed on how
to apply wax seals to the envelopes, either.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Peter T. Daniels

May 5, 2015, 11:21:43 PM5/5/15
On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 10:16:08 PM UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Tue, 5 May 2015 17:56:15 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
> <e9...@SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:
> >On Monday, March 1, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Christian wrote:

> >> How do you end a formal letter?
> >> I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
> >> strange . . .
> >> So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?
> >This is a matter of convention (not laws or personal feelings)
> >and these conventions are (or were for the whole of the 20th
> >century) taught in business school. "Yours faithfully" remains
> >the single likeliest signoff for a formal letter in English.
>
> Evidently, I have never been the recipient of a formal letter. I've
> never seen that.

He forgot to add "in parts of Canada" (which he spells "in North America").

> And, in business school, I was never taught that. Neither at Indiana
> University or at Northwestern University. Business letters were
> covered in classes at both.
>
> I guess I should also point out that we were never instructed on how
> to apply wax seals to the envelopes, either.

More to the point is why NP chose to append their question to a 16-year-old thread.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

May 6, 2015, 1:15:40 AM5/6/15
On 2015-05-05 20:54:36 +0000, darren.d...@gmail.com said:

> On Monday, March 1, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Christian wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How do you end a formal letter?
>>
>> I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
>> strange (BTW English is not my native language so perhaps that is why
>> I think it sounds stange?).
>>
>> If it was up to me I would write "Sincerely..." or "Regards..." but I
>> have been told that it is more used with informal letters.>> So, what
>> is the right way to end a formal letter?
>>
>> Yours faithfully,
>> Christian
>> Denmark, Europe

> This is an excellent example of how to best end correspondence. It
> would be the European-preferred way to say goodbye. Sincerely Yours or
> Warmest Regards as well. The multiple languages in Europe are able to
> translate their goodbye into English and it sounds more varied.

Do you make a practice of posting answers to 16-year-old messages? If
you take that long to answer a formal letter (a job offer, for example)
your letter is likely to go straight into the bin, regardless of how
you end it.

If you plan to come here often, please note that we don't do
top-posting in this group (I've rearranged your message into the proper
order).

--
athel

Tony Cooper

May 6, 2015, 2:10:39 AM5/6/15
On Wed, 6 May 2015 07:15:38 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
<acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

>On 2015-05-05 20:54:36 +0000, darren.d...@gmail.com said:
>
>> On Monday, March 1, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6

>Do you make a practice of posting answers to 16-year-old messages?

This - old messages being responded to - has come up several time in
recent months. Frankly, I'm somewhat amazed that people read the date
line. I can't remember ever noticing.

I must make a note to be more thorough in my reading in the future.
Or, should that me "I shall make a note..."?

Dr Nick

May 6, 2015, 2:24:11 AM5/6/15
"Don Phillipson" <e9...@SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> writes:

> On Monday, March 1, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Christian wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How do you end a formal letter?
>>
>> I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
>> strange . . .
>>
>> So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?
>
> This is a matter of convention (not laws or personal feelings)
> and these conventions are (or were for the whole of the 20th
> century) taught in business school. "Yours faithfully" remains
> the single likeliest signoff for a formal letter in English.

The most recent formal letter I've received (a covering letter for a
pile of financial reports and a voting form), starts:

Dear Dr Atty

and ends

Yours sincerely,

Which is what I'd have expected as I've been addressed by name.

Peter Moylan

May 6, 2015, 3:01:49 AM5/6/15
Notice that it's only ever Google Groups users who do it. I suspect that
GG has introduced some feature that makes it more likely that people
will respond to ancient posts, but I'm not sufficiently masochistic to
go and look.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Derek Turner

May 6, 2015, 3:05:55 AM5/6/15
On Tue, 05 May 2015 17:56:15 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:

> This is a matter of convention (not laws or personal feelings) and these
> conventions are (or were for the whole of the 20th century) taught in
> business school. "Yours faithfully" remains the single likeliest
> signoff for a formal letter in English.

They come as matched pairs.

Dear Sir (Madam) & Yours faithfully
Dear Mr (Miss, Mrs) Smith & Yours sincerely

The former is used when the recipient is unknown and/or un-met or just to
be more formal. I was taught that the latter should only be used on
acquaintance. (Educated in a British Grammar School in the 1960s)

Tony Cooper

May 6, 2015, 3:09:21 AM5/6/15
On Wed, 06 May 2015 17:01:47 +1000, Peter Moylan <pe...@pmoylan.org>
wrote:

>On 06/05/15 16:10, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 May 2015 07:15:38 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
>> <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

>>> Do you make a practice of posting answers to 16-year-old messages?
>>
>> This - old messages being responded to - has come up several time in
>> recent months. Frankly, I'm somewhat amazed that people read the date
>> line. I can't remember ever noticing.
>>
>> I must make a note to be more thorough in my reading in the future.
>> Or, should that me "I shall make a note..."?
>
>Notice that it's only ever Google Groups users who do it.

I don't even notice that. The only thing that I notice that makes a
post stand out for any reason other than what is said is when it's a
post with line length that extends from my screen to two streets to
the right of my house. I usually enjoy Helen's posts, but they are a
PIA to read for this reason.

Oh, and Stephan Ram's posts with those chevrons.

micky

May 6, 2015, 3:14:41 AM5/6/15
On Tue, 05 May 2015 22:16:11 -0400, Tony Cooper
<tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 5 May 2015 17:56:15 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
><e9...@SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, March 1, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Christian wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> How do you end a formal letter?
>>>
>>> I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
>>> strange . . .
>>>
>>> So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?
>>
>>This is a matter of convention (not laws or personal feelings)
>>and these conventions are (or were for the whole of the 20th
>>century) taught in business school. "Yours faithfully" remains
>>the single likeliest signoff for a formal letter in English.
>
>Evidently, I have never been the recipient of a formal letter. I've
>never seen that.
>
>And, in business school, I was never taught that. Neither at Indiana
>University or at Northwestern University. Business letters were
>covered in classes at both.

I would never close with "yours faithfully" unles writing to someone I
had a duty or desire to be faithful to. Most of my employers treated
me okay, but not well enough to proclaim faithfulness. They shoudl be
happy when I'm sincere.

>I guess I should also point out that we were never instructed on how
>to apply wax seals to the envelopes, either.

--
Please say where you live, or what
area's English you are asking about.

David D S

May 6, 2015, 8:14:48 AM5/6/15
This is what I understood and was also taught (also in a UK Grammar
School in the 1960s and up to 1972).

--
David D S: UK and PR China. (Native BrEng speaker)
Use Reply-To header for email. This email address will be

Peter T. Daniels

May 6, 2015, 8:16:00 AM5/6/15
A pretty sure giveaway is that the heading notes (as in this case) 47 of 47
messages are "New." (Right now there are 57 messages. This one will make it 58.)

Peter T. Daniels

May 6, 2015, 8:18:29 AM5/6/15
No; it's gmail users who do it. Not the same thing at all. I've no idea how
gmail has been integrted into the GG database. The default GG display puts
the thread with the most recent addition at the top.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

May 6, 2015, 9:10:28 AM5/6/15
When I arrived in France 28 years ago it was ztill usual to end formakl
letters with the French equivalent of:

I beseech you, my dear friend and colleague, to accept the expression
of my most distinguished compliments

with variations according to who the recipient is (no "friend" for
someone you've not met, no "distinguished" if you regard him as your
superior), and who is writing (no "sentiments" if you're a woman
writing to a man).

but email has killed all that. Eric would like the way most emails of
that sort end today: "Cordialement".
--
athel

Joe Fineman

May 6, 2015, 11:25:04 AM5/6/15
micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com> writes:

> I would never close with "yours faithfully" unles writing to someone I
> had a duty or desire to be faithful to.

That is pretty much my attitude. I use "Yours faithfully" for
correspondence with my customers, but "Yours truly" for other business
letters.

When I was in elementary school (US, 1940s), I was taught that "Yours
truly" was right for business letters, and "Sincerely yours" for
personal letters to acquaintances who had not reached the stage where
something more affectionate was called for.
--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: If you think you've said something smart about the mind-body :||
||: problem, try it out on the wave-water problem. :||

Sneaky O. Possum

May 6, 2015, 1:06:31 PM5/6/15
Peter Moylan <pe...@pmoylan.org> wrote in
I am, and I've already looked. I think the problem began when Google
improved the accessbility of its USENET archive. Google Groups users can
now view several decades' worth of archived posts - using exactly the
same interface provided for viewing and responding to current posts.
Search for a keyword and GG returns an indiscriminately mixed list of
old and new results; look at any of those results and GG will invite you
to respond, providing nothing that might remind an inexperienced user to
check the date of a post before replying to it. Caveat lector, as they
say.
--
S.O.P.

Peter T. Daniels

May 6, 2015, 1:49:46 PM5/6/15
On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 1:06:31 PM UTC-4, Sneaky O. Possum wrote:
> Peter Moylan <pe...@pmoylan.org> wrote in

> > Notice that it's only ever Google Groups users who do it. I suspect
> > that GG has introduced some feature that makes it more likely that
> > people will respond to ancient posts, but I'm not sufficiently
> > masochistic to go and look.
>
> I am, and I've already looked. I think the problem began when Google
> improved the accessbility of its USENET archive. Google Groups users can
> now view several decades' worth of archived posts - using exactly the
> same interface provided for viewing and responding to current posts.
> Search for a keyword and GG returns an indiscriminately mixed list of
> old and new results; look at any of those results and GG will invite you
> to respond, providing nothing that might remind an inexperienced user to
> check the date of a post before replying to it. Caveat lector, as they
> say.

That doesn't explain why those irruptions come specifically from gmail users.

micky

May 6, 2015, 2:07:25 PM5/6/15
On Wed, 06 May 2015 11:24:23 -0400, Joe Fineman <jo...@verizon.net>
wrote:

>micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com> writes:
>
>> I would never close with "yours faithfully" unles writing to someone I
>> had a duty or desire to be faithful to.
>
>That is pretty much my attitude. I use "Yours faithfully" for
>correspondence with my customers, but "Yours truly" for other business
>letters.
>
>When I was in elementary school (US, 1940s), I was taught that "Yours
>truly" was right for business letters, and "Sincerely yours" for
>personal letters to acquaintances who had not reached the stage where
>something more affectionate was called for.

That sounds very familiar. I went to elementary school in the 1950's.

Guy Barry

May 6, 2015, 2:39:09 PM5/6/15
"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Because people setting up a GG account are far more likely to use a gmail
address?

--
Guy Barry

Peter T. Daniels

May 6, 2015, 2:46:33 PM5/6/15
On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 2:39:09 PM UTC-4, Guy Barry wrote:
> "Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
> >
> >On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 1:06:31 PM UTC-4, Sneaky O. Possum wrote:
> >> Peter Moylan <pe...@pmoylan.org> wrote in

> >> I am, and I've already looked. I think the problem began when Google
> >> improved the accessbility of its USENET archive. Google Groups users can
> >> now view several decades' worth of archived posts - using exactly the
> >> same interface provided for viewing and responding to current posts.
> >> Search for a keyword and GG returns an indiscriminately mixed list of
> >> old and new results; look at any of those results and GG will invite you
> >> to respond, providing nothing that might remind an inexperienced user to
> >> check the date of a post before replying to it. Caveat lector, as they
> >> say.

Your list of results can be sorted either by "Relevance" (no hint of what
criterion is used; it's useless), which is the default, or by "Date," which
reliably puts the most recent first.

> >That doesn't explain why those irruptions come specifically from gmail
> >users.
>
> Because people setting up a GG account are far more likely to use a gmail
> address?

How many of the GG-users here do?

Guy Barry

May 6, 2015, 3:07:49 PM5/6/15
"Guy Barry" wrote in message news:fdt2x.456494$EO7....@fx32.am4...

>"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

>>That doesn't explain why those irruptions come specifically from gmail
>>users.
>
>Because people setting up a GG account are far more likely to use a gmail
>address?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm no longer allowed to use my
blueyonder.co.uk email address on GG. If I want to post from there (which I
rarely do), I have to use my gmail address.

--
Guy Barry

Sneaky O. Possum

May 6, 2015, 3:41:16 PM5/6/15
"Peter T. Daniels" <gram...@verizon.net> wrote in
That's presumably because a gmail account includes a Google Groups
account. It seems to me that inexperienced users are more likely to
either stumble onto a newsgroup because they have a gmail account or sign
up for a gmail account under the mistaken assumption that they need one
to use Google Groups.
--
S.O.P.

occam

May 6, 2015, 4:11:25 PM5/6/15
How about instructions for applying wax to your moustache? I think the
conventions Don speaks of ("I have the honour to ...) are the
formalities of the very regimented e.g. UK military types. Not even
civil servants used the "your obedient servant" sign off since the 60s.
Good riddance, I say.

Tony Cooper

May 6, 2015, 4:39:44 PM5/6/15
In those days I had no mustache. However, a few years before that I
had a "flattop" and kept a jar of Butch Wax in the bathroom cabinet.

Amazing how a few decades passing can change what we think a product
will be used for based on the name of the product. The name "Butch
Wax" might appeal to an entirely different market today.

micky

May 6, 2015, 6:04:23 PM5/6/15
I had a flattop, buit I don't remember Butch Wax. I have a vague
recollection it came in a tube, about 1.5 inches in diameter. The
substance It might even have been green.

I think kids should be allowed to do whatever they want to their hair,
like dying it blue, since it grows back. Unless of course permission to
do this will ruin it for them, since it won't be rebellion anymore.

micky

May 6, 2015, 6:42:31 PM5/6/15
OT, but when I was in the hospital in Guatamala in 1971, my roommate
told me how to ask for something. "Hagame el gran favor de traerme un
almojado mas" iirc. Do me the great favor of bringing me one more
pillow.

David Kleinecke

May 6, 2015, 7:52:16 PM5/6/15
If you do a Google search you can get a post in a group (including a
usenet groups) as a hit. From that hit you can make a reply. This might
be what is happening.

Stan Brown

May 6, 2015, 8:41:00 PM5/6/15
On Tue, 5 May 2015 17:56:15 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:
> On Monday, March 1, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Christian wrote:
> > [quoted text muted]
> > I have heard you write "Yours Faithfully..." but IMHO it sounds
> > strange . . .
> >
> > So, what is the right way to end a formal letter?
>
> This is a matter of convention (not laws or personal feelings)
> and these conventions are (or were for the whole of the 20th
> century) taught in business school. "Yours faithfully" remains
> the single likeliest signoff for a formal letter in English.

That is the convention in BrE. Not in "English".

In AmE, it is "Very truly yours" in business letters and "Sincerely
yours" in personal letters. "Yours faithfully" would cause puzzlement
or derision.

In Asian English, at least from what I get at work, it is "Please do
the needful", which I find quite irritating even though,
intellectually, I know the writer doesn't mean to give offense.

--
"The difference between the /almost right/ word and the /right/ word
is ... the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."

Stan Brown

May 6, 2015, 8:42:02 PM5/6/15
On Wed, 06 May 2015 11:24:23 -0400, Joe Fineman wrote:
> micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com> writes:
>
> > I would never close with "yours faithfully" unles writing to someone I
> > had a duty or desire to be faithful to.
>
> That is pretty much my attitude. I use "Yours faithfully" for
> correspondence with my customers, but "Yours truly" for other business
> letters.

And in email I always use "Regards,". As a mark of special favor I
may make it "Best regards".

Stan Brown

May 6, 2015, 8:43:32 PM5/6/15
Yet another vindication of my decision, probably a decade ago, simply
to killfile ANYTHING that comes from Google Gropes.

Stan Brown

May 6, 2015, 8:44:32 PM5/6/15
On Wed, 6 May 2015 20:07:51 +0100, Guy Barry wrote:

> I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm no longer allowed to use my
> blueyonder.co.uk email address on GG. If I want to post from there (which I
> rarely do), I have to use my gmail address.

"Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

"Well then, don't."

Stan Brown

May 6, 2015, 8:46:46 PM5/6/15
On Wed, 6 May 2015 15:10:52 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> but email has killed all that. Eric would like the way most emails of
> that sort end today: "Cordialement".

+1

When I studied French in high school and college (1960s), the
textbooks said to close with "Avec mes meilleurs voeux".

Recently, I asked a Montreal-based customer, whose first language is
CanFr, and she advised using "Cordialement".

Peter Moylan

May 6, 2015, 10:38:15 PM5/6/15
On 07/05/15 10:44, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 6 May 2015 20:07:51 +0100, Guy Barry wrote:
>>
>> I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm no longer allowed to use my
>> blueyonder.co.uk email address on GG. If I want to post from there (which I
>> rarely do), I have to use my gmail address.
>
> "Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this!"
>
> "Well then, don't."

I used to think that was a joke, but I got precisely that response from
a rheumatologist about a year ago. I've since given up on him, but not
for that reason.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Peter T. Daniels

May 6, 2015, 11:46:39 PM5/6/15
I don't know what "post from GG" is.

Peter T. Daniels

May 6, 2015, 11:49:30 PM5/6/15
On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 8:43:32 PM UTC-4, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 06 May 2015 17:01:47 +1000, Peter Moylan wrote:
> > On 06/05/15 16:10, Tony Cooper wrote:

> > > This - old messages being responded to - has come up several time in
> > > recent months. Frankly, I'm somewhat amazed that people read the date
> > > line. I can't remember ever noticing.
> > > I must make a note to be more thorough in my reading in the future.
> > > Or, should that me "I shall make a note..."?
> > Notice that it's only ever Google Groups users who do it. I suspect that
> > GG has introduced some feature that makes it more likely that people
> > will respond to ancient posts, but I'm not sufficiently masochistic to
> > go and look.
>
> Yet another vindication of my decision, probably a decade ago, simply
> to killfile ANYTHING that comes from Google Gropes.

Oh, he's claiming it's nothing personal?

What is "comes from Google Groups"?

James Hogg

May 7, 2015, 12:55:12 AM5/7/15
Isn't that what you do with every message you post?

Or am I being whooshed?

--
James

Guy Barry

May 7, 2015, 2:36:52 AM5/7/15
"Stan Brown" wrote in message

>On Wed, 6 May 2015 20:07:51 +0100, Guy Barry wrote:
>>
>> I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm no longer allowed to use my
>> blueyonder.co.uk email address on GG. If I want to post from there
>> (which I
>> rarely do), I have to use my gmail address.
>
>"Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this!"
>
>"Well then, don't."

It doesn't hurt to post from Google Groups (though the interface can be a
bit awkward). If I'm away from my computer (which I occasionally am when
posting), it's my only option. I haven't used it for a while though.

--
Guy Barry

Guy Barry

May 7, 2015, 2:38:10 AM5/7/15
"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Using GG to post to Usenet, just as you do.

--
Guy Barry

Robert Bannister

May 7, 2015, 3:42:02 AM5/7/15
On 6/05/2015 3:14 pm, micky wrote:

> I would never close with "yours faithfully" unles writing to someone I
> had a duty or desire to be faithful to. Most of my employers treated
> me okay, but not well enough to proclaim faithfulness. They shoudl be
> happy when I'm sincere.

Skies above. It formulaic, not literal. I'm sure few people who write
"sincerely" are intending sincerity any more than business people are
pledging faithfulness.

--
Robert Bannister - 1940-71 SE England
1972-now W Australia

Robert Bannister

May 7, 2015, 3:47:31 AM5/7/15
On 6/05/2015 3:05 pm, Derek Turner wrote:
> On Tue, 05 May 2015 17:56:15 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:
>
>> This is a matter of convention (not laws or personal feelings) and these
>> conventions are (or were for the whole of the 20th century) taught in
>> business school. "Yours faithfully" remains the single likeliest
>> signoff for a formal letter in English.
>
> They come as matched pairs.
>
> Dear Sir (Madam) & Yours faithfully
> Dear Mr (Miss, Mrs) Smith & Yours sincerely
>
> The former is used when the recipient is unknown and/or un-met or just to
> be more formal. I was taught that the latter should only be used on
> acquaintance. (Educated in a British Grammar School in the 1960s)

Likewise from at least ten years earlier. Of course, I can't remember
when I last wrote a formal letter or any letter for that matter and I
don't put greeting either at the beginning or end of emails. I have a
few friends who honestly believe all emails should begin "Hi!" and end
"Hugs xxx", which I find childish.

Peter T. Daniels

May 7, 2015, 7:24:04 AM5/7/15
I post from my computer. You-all seem not to distinguish email from newsgroups,
as in the thread confusing "gmail" with "GG."

micky

May 7, 2015, 7:28:23 AM5/7/15
On Thu, 07 May 2015 15:41:58 +0800, Robert Bannister
<rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote:

>On 6/05/2015 3:14 pm, micky wrote:
>
>> I would never close with "yours faithfully" unles writing to someone I
>> had a duty or desire to be faithful to. Most of my employers treated
>> me okay, but not well enough to proclaim faithfulness. They shoudl be
>> happy when I'm sincere.
>
>Skies above. It formulaic, not literal.

It might not be literal, but I am.

>I'm sure few people who write

It's not how other people feel, how many or how few of them, but how I
feel, and I make a real effort to be sincere in my letters and my Usenet
posts too, rewriiting them if I realize I don't really believe what I've
said.

James Hogg

May 7, 2015, 8:12:34 AM5/7/15
If you put it that way, I post from my house. But I don't use Google
Groups because I have a proper newsreader.

--
James

Peter T. Daniels

May 7, 2015, 9:00:52 AM5/7/15
On Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 8:12:34 AM UTC-4, James Hogg wrote:
> Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> >> Isn't that what you do with every message you post?
> >> Or am I being whooshed?
> > I post from my computer. You-all seem not to distinguish email from newsgroups,
> > as in the thread confusing "gmail" with "GG."
>
> If you put it that way, I post from my house. But I don't use Google
> Groups because I have a proper newsreader.

I suppose I post _in_ GG.

I keep seeing sundry complaints from people here that they can't do this-or-that
with their "proper newsreaders" that are ordinary features of GG.

Charles Bishop

May 7, 2015, 12:22:12 PM5/7/15
In article <cr0jkg...@mid.individual.net>,
Certainly. Everybody knows hugs are OOO.

Charles,

R H Draney

May 8, 2015, 5:12:01 AM5/8/15
Charles Bishop <ctbi...@earthlink.net> wrote in
Or OO if you hug king-side....r

Peter Moylan

May 8, 2015, 6:34:18 AM5/8/15
Or if the person you're hugging has only two breasts.

Oliver Cromm

May 8, 2015, 5:49:21 PM5/8/15
* Peter T. Daniels:

> On Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 8:12:34 AM UTC-4, James Hogg wrote:
>> Peter T. Daniels wrote:

>>> I post from my computer. You-all seem not to distinguish email from newsgroups,
>>> as in the thread confusing "gmail" with "GG."
>>
>> If you put it that way, I post from my house. But I don't use Google
>> Groups because I have a proper newsreader.
>
> I suppose I post _in_ GG.

If you did that, most of us wouldn't even see it. It's only
because it goes from GG to Usenet that we do.

--
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.

Guy Barry

May 9, 2015, 4:09:14 AM5/9/15
"Oliver Cromm" wrote in message

>* Peter T. Daniels:

>> I suppose I post _in_ GG.
>
>If you did that, most of us wouldn't even see it. It's only
>because it goes from GG to Usenet that we do.

Indeed - "Google Groups" in fact refers strictly to those groups that are
internal to Google, which aren't part of Usenet. Google Groups also
provides an interface to Usenet, so I suppose the best phrasing would be "I
post via Google Groups".

--
Guy Barry

Peter T. Daniels

May 9, 2015, 8:42:59 AM5/9/15
Very good. I don't know what those GG sensu stricto are; I'm on a few Yahoo
groups, but participation in even the most active (ANE-2) has fallen way off.

Oliver Cromm

May 10, 2015, 12:42:58 AM5/10/15
* Peter T. Daniels:
As an example, I'm still receiving messages from honyaku, a fairly
active group for questions on translation between Japanese and
(mostly) English. It went from a traditional Mailing List server
to Yahoo to Google Groups.
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/honyaku>

--
Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct
in which the score is kept.

Peter T. Daniels

May 10, 2015, 8:38:20 AM5/10/15
So like Yahoo Groups, they're what used to be called "discussion lists."

Oliver Cromm

May 10, 2015, 11:27:41 PM5/10/15
I don't remember hearing that term, but it works like a mailing
list with an additional Web interface. This web interface, in
turn, is also used as an interface to Usenet. That's where you
read and post.

--
'Ah yes, we got that keyboard from Small Gods when they threw out
their organ. Unfortunately for complex theological reasons they