"w00t" is Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year

Maria

Dec 12, 2007, 3:04:26 AM12/12/07
See the story at:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071211/D8TFGLM00.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/2mb95s

Intro paragraphs:

begin excerpt=== SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) - Expect cheers
among hardcore online game enthusiasts when they learn
Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year. Or, more accurately,
expect them to "w00t."

"W00t," a hybrid of letters and numbers used by gamers as an
exclamation of happiness or triumph, topped all other terms
in the Springfield-based dictionary publisher's online poll
for the word that best sums up 2007.

Merriam-Webster's president, John Morse, said "w00t" was an
ideal choice because it blends whimsy and new
technology.===end excerpt

This is the first I've heard of "w00t."

Maria

Display name:

Dec 12, 2007, 6:50:28 AM12/12/07
w00t was originally an acronym for "we owned other team" but used 1337$p34|<
for some of the letters(w00t instead of woot). It is now commonly used as an
interjection of joy.

"w00t! I pwn3d j00!"
"Oh! You see that hs??!?! W00T4G3!"

Message has been deleted

Hatunen

Dec 12, 2007, 11:39:17 AM12/12/07

Google turns up 726,000 hits for "w00t".

--
************* DAVE HATUNEN (hat...@cox.net) *************

nanc...@verizon.net

Dec 12, 2007, 11:48:24 AM12/12/07
On Dec 12, 3:04 am, "Maria" <maria....@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> See the story at:http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071211/D8TFGLM00.html
> orhttp://tinyurl.com/2mb95s

> Intro paragraphs:
>
> begin excerpt=== SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) - Expect cheers
> among hardcore online game enthusiasts when they learn
> Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year. Or, more accurately,
> expect them to "w00t."
>
> "W00t," a hybrid of letters and numbers used by gamers as an
> exclamation of happiness or triumph, topped all other terms
> in the Springfield-based dictionary publisher's online poll
> for the word that best sums up 2007.
>
> Merriam-Webster's president, John Morse, said "w00t" was an
> ideal choice because it blends whimsy and new
> technology.===end excerpt
>
> This is the first I've heard of "w00t."

My daughter and her boyfriend are both serious gamers, so I've been
seeing and hearing it around my house for years now. In certain
circles, it's a common everyday word.

(It's also the name of one of my favorite Web sites, who very sensibly
own both w00t.com and woot.com.)

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Dec 12, 2007, 12:12:49 PM12/12/07
On 2007-12-12 09:04:26 +0100, "Maria" <mari...@sbcglobal.net> said:

> [ ... ]

> This is the first I've heard of "w00t."

Me too. It would be nice to think it would be the last as well, but I'm
not optimistic.

athel (BrE)

Sara Lorimer

Dec 12, 2007, 12:27:43 PM12/12/07
Display name: <nokia....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> w00t was originally an acronym for "we owned other team" but used 1337$p34|<
> for some of the letters(w00t instead of woot).

That seems unlikely. "We owned other team! We owned other team!" doesn't
sound like something anyone would say.

--
SML,
feeling posh

Display name:

Dec 12, 2007, 12:52:22 PM12/12/07

You're obviously not an online gamer then.

Sara Lorimer

Dec 12, 2007, 1:04:20 PM12/12/07
Display name: <nokia....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

This is true. Are you? Have you heard or read players say "we owned
other team"?

I suspect that this is one of those thingummies -- false acronyms? --
like PHAT, TIPS, POSH, FUCK, and others that have come up here before.

--
SML

Eric Schwartz

Dec 12, 2007, 1:46:02 PM12/12/07

I'm fairly sure you're right, Sara. 'Woot', or 'w00t', as written in
(one variety of) l33+-sp33k, seems much more likely to be an
onomatopoeic word of general ebullience, along the lines of 'woo-hoo'
or 'wa-hey'. Besides, you don't 'own' the other team, you '0wnz0rz'
or 'pwn' them.

-=Eric

Pat Durkin

Dec 12, 2007, 3:20:06 PM12/12/07

"Eric Schwartz" <emsc...@pobox.com> wrote in message

If I have heard it, I couldn't say. But just reading it and saying it
reminds me of a whoop, as intoned with a kazoo. Or, as I saw on a quiz
show (Weakest Link?) a slide whistle.

jerry_f...@yahoo.com

Dec 12, 2007, 4:30:18 PM12/12/07
On Dec 12, 9:48 am, "nancy...@verizon.net" <nancy...@verizon.net>
wrote:

But do they pwn them?

--
Jerry Friedman

Wood Avens

Dec 12, 2007, 5:29:16 PM12/12/07
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:04:20 -0800, que.sara....@gmail.com
(Sara Lorimer) wrote:

>I suspect that this is one of those thingummies -- false acronyms? --
>like PHAT, TIPS, POSH, FUCK, and others that have come up here before.

Wik says "The origin of the term is widely disputed. Some claim that
word originated in competitive online gaming as an acronym for "we own
other team." Others trace the current usage of the word "w00t" to
hackers in the early to mid-80's who used it as a term of celebration
for gaining root access in Unix systems. Still others attribute the
term to players of Dungeons and Dragons as being shorthand for "Wow,
loot!"

"Regardless of the origin, the term has been adapted to mean a general
expression of elation."

I've known it for quite a while, as a sort of equivalent of "wahey!"
or "woo-hoo!" or "yippee!". It has derivatives such as "w00tness".

--

Katy Jennison

spamtrap: remove the first two letters after the @

HVS

Dec 12, 2007, 5:38:28 PM12/12/07
On 12 Dec 2007, Wood Avens wrote

> I've known it for quite a while, as a sort of equivalent of
> "wahey!" or "woo-hoo!" or "yippee!". It has derivatives such as
> "w00tness".

So....it's not what Jonathan Ross does for his favourite team, then?

Pity.

--
Cheers, Harvey
CanEng and BrEng, indiscriminately mixed

Narelle

Dec 12, 2007, 6:10:18 PM12/12/07

Perhaps this a case of reverse acronym-ing where w00t has developed into

"we owned other team"?

My teenage children and their peers use the term regularly, albeit with
the word "the" between "owned" and "other", as a way of saying that they
beat the opposition and were by far the superior team. "Owned" is also
used on its own as a type of exclamation, and is not limited to teams;
individuals can "get owned" as well.
Narelle

CDB

Dec 12, 2007, 7:23:27 PM12/12/07

[w00t causes]

>> My daughter and her boyfriend are both serious gamers, so I've been
>> seeing and hearing it around my house for years now. In certain
>> circles, it's a common everyday word.
>>
>> (It's also the name of one of my favorite Web sites, who very
>> sensibly own both w00t.com and woot.com.)
>
> But do they pwn them?

Would anybody care to pronounce on the pronunciation of that word?
I've been assuming that it rhymes with the East Welsh "fyfpwn", but
I've never heard it spoken.

R H Draney

Dec 12, 2007, 8:05:40 PM12/12/07
Murray Arnow filted:
>An other article I read on this said "w00t" was used by Julia Robert's
>character in "Pretty Woman" at the polo match.

Now that it has the imprimatur of the M-W bunch, I shall endeavor to use this
word ten times as often before the end of the year as I have used it
year-to-date....r

--
"He come in the night when one sleep on a bed.
With a hand he have the basket and foods."

R H Draney

Dec 12, 2007, 8:10:38 PM12/12/07
CDB filted:

>jerry_f...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Dec 12, 9:48 am, "nancy...@verizon.net" <nancy...@verizon.net>
>>>
>>> (It's also the name of one of my favorite Web sites, who very
>>> sensibly own both w00t.com and woot.com.)
>>
>> But do they pwn them?

A more serious question is whether the ownership of wo0t.com and w0ot.com has
been secured....

>Would anybody care to pronounce on the pronunciation of that word?
>I've been assuming that it rhymes with the East Welsh "fyfpwn", but
>I've never heard it spoken.

Rhymes with "bone"....r

Toby A Inkster

Dec 13, 2007, 8:10:40 AM12/13/07
Display name: wrote:

> w00t was originally an acronym for "we owned other team"

I find this quite unlikely, as that would make it wp0t.

> It is now commonly used as an interjection of joy.

I think this is most probably also its original usage. "we owned other
team" is likely a backronym.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Sharing Music with Apple iTunes
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/11/28/itunes-sharing/

CDB

Dec 13, 2007, 10:16:07 AM12/13/07
R H Draney wrote:
> CDB filted:

[pwn: poon, pone, porn, pawn, pun, one]

>> Would anybody care to pronounce on the pronunciation of that word?
>> I've been assuming that it rhymes with the East Welsh "fyfpwn", but
>> I've never heard it spoken.
>
> Rhymes with "bone"....r

Jubilation! Thank you. I will try to say it properly, if I ever say
it out loud.

nanc...@verizon.net

Dec 13, 2007, 10:46:21 AM12/13/07
On Dec 12, 12:27 pm, que.sara.saraDEL...@gmail.com (Sara Lorimer)
wrote:

> Display name: <nokia.acco...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > w00t was originally an acronym for "we owned other team" but used 1337$p34|<
> > for some of the letters(w00t instead of woot).
>
> That seems unlikely. "We owned other team! We owned other team!" doesn't
> sound like something anyone would say.

Again, it depends on the circles in which you travel. "Owned!" (in
speech) or "Pwned!" (in text) are very common expressions among gamers
and those who hang out on certain social/chat Web sites. There are
almost as many "Pwned!" images floating around on the Web as there are
LOLcats.

Sara Lorimer

Dec 13, 2007, 1:23:53 PM12/13/07
nanc...@verizon.net <nanc...@verizon.net> wrote:

Yes, I know. But that's not the same as the clunky "we owned other
team."

--
SML

Mike Lyle

Dec 13, 2007, 12:40:54 PM12/13/07
CDB wrote:
> jerry_f...@yahoo.com wrote:
[...]

>> But do they pwn them?
>
> Would anybody care to pronounce on the pronunciation of that word?
> I've been assuming that it rhymes with the East Welsh "fyfpwn", but
> I've never heard it spoken.

Don't you mean "ffyffpwn"?

--
Mike.

CDB

Dec 14, 2007, 12:44:59 PM12/14/07
Mike Lyle wrote:
> CDB wrote:
>> jerry_f...@yahoo.com wrote:
> [...]
>>> But do they pwn them?
>>
>> Would anybody care to pronounce on the pronunciation of that word?
>> I've been assuming that it rhymes with the East Welsh "fyfpwn", but
>> I've never heard it spoken.
>
> Don't you mean "ffyffpwn"?

Oh, gosh. My bad. No offence intended to Mr. D. C.