What does "diamond geezer" mean?

Alexander Miroshnikov

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know what exactly the phase "diamond geezer" means? I have come
across
it in a praising remark, resembling "Well done, your a diamond geezer!".
Cheers,
Alex

Alan Jones

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00

"Alexander Miroshnikov" <alexander....@usa.net> wrote in message

"You're a great guy!" London UK slang. "Diamond"=priceless, invaluable
"Geezer"=bloke, fella, guy

Alan Jones

Alan Jones

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00

Michael Cargal

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
On Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:21:08 GMT, "Alan Jones" <a...@cableinet.co.uk>
wrote:

I'm used to hearing "geezer" to mean an old man, possibly of the
clueless variety, the kind who leaves his turn blinker on for the
entire trip on the freeway. This is the masculine form. The feminine
is "geezerette."

That said, "You're a great guy" is still a reasonable translation of
"You're a diamond geezer."
--
Michael Cargal mhca...@home.com

Alexander Miroshnikov

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Much obliged for this.
Many thanks,
Alex

barryjame...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2018, 6:09:13 PM4/12/18
It means 'great guy' or 'top fella', 'real nice bloke' someone who is solid and reliable and will go out there ay to help you.

IT DOES NOT MEAN AN OLD OR STUPID MAN!

It is London/Cockney slang

Often heard in the iconic TV program 'Only Fools & Horses' by Del Boy Trotter played by the legend David Jason

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Apr 13, 2018, 4:17:18 AM4/13/18
Is this a reply to something or other? Does it matter?

--
athel

Peter T. Daniels

Apr 13, 2018, 8:53:15 AM4/13/18
Of course. It is a contribution to a thread that began on September 22,
2000, and had contained 5 messages. Get a proper newsreader! Matter? No.
But what does mattering have to do with AUE?

Quinn C

Apr 13, 2018, 5:40:07 PM4/13/18
* Peter T. Daniels:

> On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 4:17:18 AM UTC-4, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> On 2018-04-12 22:09:10 +0000, barryjame...@gmail.com said:
>
>>> It means 'great guy' or 'top fella', 'real nice bloke' someone who is
>>> solid and reliable and will go out there ay to help you. [...]
>>
>> Is this a reply to something or other? Does it matter?
>
> Of course. It is a contribution to a thread that began on September 22,
> 2000, and had contained 5 messages. Get a proper newsreader!

Just using the same words as others in reverse often doesn't work. A
truck does certain things better than a car, but that doesn't make it a
"proper car". It was quite obvious that "barry"'s post was not created
with a proper newsreader, and that prompted the question.

--
It gets hot in Raleigh, but Texas! I don't know why anybody
lives here, honestly.

Peter T. Daniels

Apr 13, 2018, 10:13:39 PM4/13/18
On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 5:40:07 PM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote:
> * Peter T. Daniels:

> >> Is this a reply to something or other? Does it matter?
> >
> > Of course. It is a contribution to a thread that began on September 22,
> > 2000, and had contained 5 messages. Get a proper newsreader!
>
> Just using the same words as others in reverse often doesn't work. A
> truck does certain things better than a car, but that doesn't make it a
> "proper car". It was quite obvious that "barry"'s post was not created
> with a proper newsreader, and that prompted the question.

If Athel had a proper newsreader, he would see all 10 (including this one)
posts in the thread, not just the ones made in the last few days.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Apr 14, 2018, 2:45:19 AM4/14/18
I'm reminded of a reply made once to a British man after being told
proudly that the whole of the British Isles could be fitted inside the
boundaries of Nebraska: "To what end?"

My question was rhetorical: the post was obviously not a response to
anything recent or interesting.

--
athel

Peter Moylan

Apr 14, 2018, 8:04:31 AM4/14/18
On 13/04/18 08:09, barryjame...@gmail.com wrote:

> It means 'great guy' or 'top fella', 'real nice bloke' someone who is
> solid and reliable and will go out there ay to help you.

"It" presumably means the phrase mentioned in the Subject line.

I would prefer it if dickheads did not suddenly intervene in our
conversations.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

CDB

Apr 14, 2018, 8:56:37 AM4/14/18
On 4/14/2018 2:45 AM, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> Peter T. Daniels said:
>> Quinn C wrote:
>>> * Peter T. Daniels:

>>> Just using the same words as others in reverse often doesn't
>>> work. A truck does certain things better than a car, but that
>>> doesn't make it a "proper car". It was quite obvious that
>>> "barry"'s post was not created with a proper newsreader, and that
>>> prompted the question.

>> If Athel had a proper newsreader, he would see all 10 (including
>> this one) posts in the thread, not just the ones made in the last
>> few days.

> I'm reminded of a reply made once to a British man after being told
> proudly that the whole of the British Isles could be fitted inside
> the boundaries of Nebraska: "To what end?"

> My question was rhetorical: the post was obviously not a response to
> anything recent or interesting.

I note that the current OP's nym ends in "hill". It's an HH kind of
question.

Peter T. Daniels

Apr 14, 2018, 10:13:22 AM4/14/18
On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 8:04:31 AM UTC-4, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 13/04/18 08:09, barryjame...@gmail.com wrote:

> > It means 'great guy' or 'top fella', 'real nice bloke' someone who is
> > solid and reliable and will go out there ay to help you.
>
> "It" presumably means the phrase mentioned in the Subject line.
>
> I would prefer it if dickheads did not suddenly intervene in our
> conversations.

I wouldn't call 17 1/2 years "sudden."

Quinn C

Apr 16, 2018, 1:28:52 PM4/16/18
Well, you don't get to decide what a proper newsreader is, especially
since you obviously don't understand Usenet.

Again, a truck is not a proper car.

--
A chrysanthemum by any other name would be easier to spell.
Peter Moylan in alt.usage.english

snide...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2018, 8:11:55 PM4/16/18
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 10:28:52 AM UTC-7, Quinn C wrote:
> * Peter T. Daniels:
>
> > On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 5:40:07 PM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote:
> >> * Peter T. Daniels:

> >> Just using the same words as others in reverse often doesn't work. A
> >> truck does certain things better than a car, but that doesn't make it a
> >> "proper car". It was quite obvious that "barry"'s post was not created
> >> with a proper newsreader, and that prompted the question.
> >
> > If Athel had a proper newsreader, he would see all 10 (including this one)
> > posts in the thread, not just the ones made in the last few days.
>
> Well, you don't get to decide what a proper newsreader is, especially
> since you obviously don't understand Usenet.
>
> Again, a truck is not a proper car.

Where do you fit the Ranchero and the El Camino?

Does it matter that many recent pickups have better cabins than a 1972 Cadillac?

Is an RV a truck or a van?

So much to ponder.

/dps "Is the Willys Overland Pickup ponderous?"