अब Google Groups, यूज़नेट फ़ोरम में नई पोस्ट करने या उसकी सदस्यता लेने की सुविधा नहीं देता है. हालांकि, यूज़नेट फ़ोरम में मौजूद पुराना कॉन्टेंट देखा जा सकता है.

"sorry"

111 बार देखा गया
नहीं पढ़े गए पहले मैसेज पर जाएं

tjb

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
26 जून 2006, 7:36:09 am26/6/06
ईमेल पाने वाला
People would typically use a comma after the 'sorry' in something like the
following:

"Sorry, I didn't see you there."

Is a comma correct there? It just doesn't seem right to me somehow.

Also, people often use a comma after the "sorry" in the following, but I
tend to use a semi-colon:

"I'm sorry; I didn't see you there."

Am I right, or are they? Or is neither of us?

dontbother

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
26 जून 2006, 8:06:13 am26/6/06
ईमेल पाने वाला
tjb <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

This is one of those dialogue-writing problems. I wouldn't use a comma
unless the "sorry" were followed by "but". Without the "but", I'd say the
comma should be a period (full stop), not a semi-colon.

Professional writers, however, will use the comma in both cases, and no one
will complain. It's only when there's no comma that a problem of meaning,
stress, and intonation arises.

--
Franke: EFL teacher and medical editor
Posting from Taiwan. Unmunged email: /at/hush.ai

tjb

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
26 जून 2006, 8:21:02 am26/6/06
ईमेल पाने वाला
dontbother <dontb...@mushmail.mom> wrote:

>> People would typically use a comma after the 'sorry' in something like
>> the following:
>>
>> "Sorry, I didn't see you there."
>>
>> Is a comma correct there? It just doesn't seem right to me somehow.
>>
>> Also, people often use a comma after the "sorry" in the following, but
>> I tend to use a semi-colon:
>>
>> "I'm sorry; I didn't see you there."
>>
>> Am I right, or are they? Or is neither of us?
>
> This is one of those dialogue-writing problems. I wouldn't use a comma
> unless the "sorry" were followed by "but". Without the "but", I'd say the
> comma should be a period (full stop), not a semi-colon.

Just to check -- are you applying that to the first example (the one
without the "I'm") as well?

> Professional writers, however, will use the comma in both cases, and no one
> will complain. It's only when there's no comma that a problem of meaning,
> stress, and intonation arises.

Acknowledged.

dontbother

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
26 जून 2006, 9:03:49 am26/6/06
ईमेल पाने वाला
tjb <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> dontbother <dontb...@mushmail.mom> wrote:
>
>>> People would typically use a comma after the 'sorry' in something
>>> like the following:
>>>
>>> "Sorry, I didn't see you there."
>>>
>>> Is a comma correct there? It just doesn't seem right to me somehow.
>>>
>>> Also, people often use a comma after the "sorry" in the following,
>>> but I tend to use a semi-colon:
>>>
>>> "I'm sorry; I didn't see you there."
>>>
>>> Am I right, or are they? Or is neither of us?
>>
>> This is one of those dialogue-writing problems. I wouldn't use a
>> comma unless the "sorry" were followed by "but". Without the "but",
>> I'd say the comma should be a period (full stop), not a semi-colon.
>
> Just to check -- are you applying that to the first example (the one
> without the "I'm") as well?

Yes, I'd say that there's no significant grammatical difference between
the two despite the second one's having a subject and verb in front of
the "sorry". "Sorry" and "I'm sorry" are both complete sentences in
dialogue. The first is elliptical; the second, complete.

--

HVS

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
26 जून 2006, 9:10:58 am26/6/06
ईमेल पाने वाला
On 26 Jun 2006, tjb wrote

> People would typically use a comma after the 'sorry' in
> something like the following:
>
> "Sorry, I didn't see you there."
>
> Is a comma correct there? It just doesn't seem right to me
> somehow.

Do you mean "is a comma needed at all?" I'd say that the comma
changes the meaning.

Without any context, I'd take "Sorry, I didn't see you there" to
mean something like "Oops -- I didn't realise you were standing
there". My default reading of "Sorry I didn't see you there",
though, would be "I regret that although we were at the same event,
I didn't meet up with you".

--
Cheers, Harvey

Canadian and British English, indiscriminately mixed
For e-mail, change harvey.news to harvey.van

Skitt

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
26 जून 2006, 3:04:01 pm26/6/06
ईमेल पाने वाला
HVS wrote:
> tjb wrote

>> People would typically use a comma after the 'sorry' in
>> something like the following:
>>
>> "Sorry, I didn't see you there."
>>
>> Is a comma correct there? It just doesn't seem right to me
>> somehow.
>
> Do you mean "is a comma needed at all?" I'd say that the comma
> changes the meaning.
>
> Without any context, I'd take "Sorry, I didn't see you there" to
> mean something like "Oops -- I didn't realise you were standing
> there". My default reading of "Sorry I didn't see you there",
> though, would be "I regret that although we were at the same event,
> I didn't meet up with you".

I agree.
--
Skitt (in Hayward, California)
http://www.geocities.com/opus731/

tjb

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
27 जून 2006, 5:35:00 am27/6/06
ईमेल पाने वाला
HVS <harve...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Do you mean "is a comma needed at all?" I'd say that the comma
> changes the meaning.

Oh, I was wondering whether a comma would be considered the most suitable
punctuation character to use there. Excuse my lack of clarity.

tjb

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
27 जून 2006, 5:35:02 am27/6/06
ईमेल पाने वाला
dontbother <dontb...@mushmail.mom> wrote:

>> Just to check -- are you applying that to the first example (the one
>> without the "I'm") as well?
>
> Yes, I'd say that there's no significant grammatical difference between
> the two despite the second one's having a subject and verb in front of
> the "sorry". "Sorry" and "I'm sorry" are both complete sentences in
> dialogue. The first is elliptical; the second, complete.

Thanks.

0 नया मैसेज