Could someone check - recipes

Nick

Mar 10, 2007, 10:57:44 AM3/10/07
This is the same request as I did a few hours earlier, but now as
text, as I learned that this newsgroup doesn't accept binairies.
Excuse for that.

I had to translate some recipes from Dutch to English. Could someone
be so kind to check the English? It is in the attachment.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Soup of mustard ( 8 persons)
Ingredients:
120 gr. of carrots
120 gr. of mushrooms
40 gr. of margarine
50 gr. flour
10 dl. of broth
120 gr. of green peas
5 dl. milk
4 spoonful of mustard
100 gr. of grated cheese
bread sticks

1. Peel the carrots and cut them "en julienne" (= small strips.)
2. Clean the mushroom en cut them to slices.
3. Melt the margarine in a cooking pot, add the flour stir it and
cool it down (roux).
4. Add half of the hot broth, make it boil while stirring it,
make sure that there are no lumps in it, add the rest of the broth.
5. Add the cut carrots, the green peas, and the mushrooms, let it
boil for ten minutes on a low fire.
6. Add the milk to the soup, stir the mustard and the cheese
through the soup, taste the soup, add pepper and salt if you like.
7. Serve the soup, with a bread stick.

Bread sticks
Ingredients:
2 slices of puff pastry
margarine
sesame seed
1 egg

1. Smear with a brush some margarine on a baking plate.
2. Paint the puff pastry with egg yolk.
3. Sprinkle the sesame seed on the puff pastry.
4. Cut the puff pastry in small strips.
5. Twist the strips of puff pastry to spirals.
6. Put the spirals on a baking plate; bake them in a oven at 170
degrees C for 20 minutes.

Hungarian Goulash (4 persons)
Ingredients:
½ l. brown fonds
450 gr. Chicken breast
1 red paprika
2 onions
margarine
60 gr. flour
2 spoonful paprika powder
1 piece of garlic
1 spoonful tomato purée
parsley
bay leaves
thyme
1 dl. condensed milk

1. Cut the chicken breasts in pieces of about 15 gram.
2. Roll the pieces through the flour.
3. Fry the pieces in a big pan chestnut brown.
4. Cut the onions and the paprika in small strokes, add them to the
meat.
5. Press the garlic, add it to the meat.
6. Fry the meat with the vegetables until the onions are glassy.
7. Add the tomato purée and the paprika powder.
8. Add the brown fonds, let it all slimmer till the meat is done.
9. Make sure the goulash is thick enough, check the taste.
10. Add, just before serving, the condensed milk.

Ragout of mushrooms (4 persons)
Ingredients:
400 gr. Mixed mushrooms
2 onions
2 pieces of garlic
30 gr. Oil or margarine
thyme, parsley
pepper and salt
100 gr. Crème fraiche
maïzena
lemon juice

1. Clean the mushrooms.
2. Cut the mushrooms in slices.
3. Cut the onions in small parts.
4. Fry the onions until they are glassy, press the garlic and add
it to the onions.
5. Add the mushrooms, shovel them regularly on a high fire until
they start to get a colour.
6. Sprinkle them with thyme, pepper and salt.
7. Add lemon juice.
8. Wash the parsley and cut in very small pieces.
9. Stir the cut parsley and the creme frache through the
mushrooms.
10. Make it boil; use maizena to make it thick.

Pilaw rice (4 persons)
Ingredients:
300 gr. rice
25 gr. margarine
2 bay leaves
1 onion
½ l. vegetable broth

1. Cut the onion in very small pieces, fry the pieces in a large
cooking pot with the margarine.
2. Wash the rice.
3. Add the rice to the onions, warm it for two minutes, add the
bay leaves, add the vegetable broth.
4. Make it boil, make it done on a low fire.
5. Remove the bay leaves.
6. Form timbales of the rice on the plates.

Salad of paprika (4 persons)
Ingredients
1 yellow paprika
1 red paprika
1 green paprika
½ onion

Dressing:
4 branches of parsley
2 spoonful of vinegar
1 spoonful of olive oil
2 spoonful of mustard
2 spoonful of honey
thyme
pepper and salt

1. Wash the paprika, remove the seeds, cut them in small strokes.
2. Cut the onions in small pieces and cut the parsley.
3. Prepare the dressing.
4. Mix the dressing through the salad.
5. Put the salad in glass bowls.

Tiramisu (4 persons)
ingredients:
200 gr mascarpone
2 dl cream
50 gr suggar
0,5 dl strong coffee
12 "lange vingers" ( long fingers, a sort of biscuit)
cacao powder
grated chocolate

1. Whip the cream with the sugar.
2. Stir the mascarpone and mix it with the whipped cream.
3. When the coffee is cooled down, stir half of it through the
mascarpone.
4. Put the "lange vingers" on the bottom of a glass, sprinkle a bit
of coffee over it.
5. Put a layer of mascarpone mixture on top of the "lange vingers".
6. Garnish with "lange vingers", cacao powder and grated
chocolate.
7. Put the glasses in the refrigerator until it is needed.

Donna Richoux

Mar 10, 2007, 11:39:12 AM3/10/07
Nick <nickN...@nvanderburg.demon.nl> wrote:

> This is the same request as I did a few hours earlier, but now as
> text, as I learned that this newsgroup doesn't accept binairies.
> Excuse for that.
>
> I had to translate some recipes from Dutch to English. Could someone
> be so kind to check the English? It is in the attachment.

Overall it looks decent. Here are some things that jumped out at me.
Some terms may vary from British English to American English, so you
have to know your market, or put both.

For "mustard," there's mustard powder and there's prepared mustard
(pasty substance in a jar or tube).

I don't know what "brown fonds" is.

"Maizena" is a European word or brand, I believe, for what the Americans
call cornstarch. I don't remember what it's called in the UK. We're
talking about the white thickener powder, not cornmeal/polenta.

I imagine ""lange vingers"" are ladyfingers, a sort of long, narrow
biscuit/cookie? Try putting "ladyfingers" into Google Images.

White Monkey

Mar 10, 2007, 11:43:21 AM3/10/07
> I don't know what "brown fonds" is.

Fonds is a sort of very rich, thick bullion. By brown I would guess it's the
beef variety.

> I imagine ""lange vingers"" are ladyfingers, a sort of long, narrow
> biscuit/cookie?

That is right. My toddler LOVES them.
--Katrina

Pat Durkin

Mar 10, 2007, 11:55:54 AM3/10/07

"Nick" <nickN...@nvanderburg.demon.nl> wrote in message

> This is the same request as I did a few hours earlier, but now as
> text, as I learned that this newsgroup doesn't accept binairies.
> Excuse for that.
>
> I had to translate some recipes from Dutch to English. Could someone
> be so kind to check the English? It is in the attachment.
>

> Soup of mustard ( 8 persons)
> Ingredients:
> 120 gr. of carrots
> 120 gr. of mushrooms
> 40 gr. of margarine
> 50 gr. flour
> 10 dl. of broth
> 120 gr. of green peas
> 5 dl. milk
> 4 spoonful of mustard
> 100 gr. of grated cheese
> bread sticks

These sound so interesting. I would ask, since I don't know how to
convert, what size of "spoon" measurement is needed to measure the
mustard. We have t (tsp or teaspoon) and T (or tablespoon), and use
halves and quarters to go smaller. 3 t = 1 T, and I think 16 T = 1 C(or
cup which amounts to 8 ounces fluid measure) I do understand grams and
deciliters.

Here is a site that does conversions for cooking, but I won't guarantee
anything there. I notis they uses "ts and tb" for my "t and T".
http://www.cooking-solutions.com/conversions.html

I searched for ""tablespoons per cup", just to verify my statement
above.

Wood Avens

Mar 10, 2007, 12:01:34 PM3/10/07
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:39:12 +0100, tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux)
wrote:

>Nick <nickN...@nvanderburg.demon.nl> wrote:

>> I had to translate some recipes from Dutch to English. Could someone
>> be so kind to check the English? It is in the attachment.

>"Maizena" is a European word or brand, I believe, for what the Americans
>call cornstarch. I don't remember what it's called in the UK. We're
>talking about the white thickener powder, not cornmeal/polenta.

In the UK it's "cornflour".

>I imagine ""lange vingers"" are ladyfingers, a sort of long, narrow
>biscuit/cookie? Try putting "ladyfingers" into Google Images.

UK = "sponge fingers".

A couple of othr things which struck me:

>> Salad of paprika (4 persons)
>> Ingredients
>> 1 yellow paprika
>> 1 red paprika
>> 1 green paprika

In the UK, paprikas are called peppers.

>> Tiramisu (4 persons)
>> ingredients:
>> 200 gr mascarpone
>> 2 dl cream

You don't say what kind of cream. Here there are various alternatives
such as double, single, whipping, etc. Since the recipe calls for it
to be whipped, obviously it's double or whipping, but it's usual to
specify it in the ingredients list.

Delicious-sounding recipes!

--

Katy Jennison

spamtrap: remove the first two letters after the @

Turenne

Mar 10, 2007, 12:17:53 PM3/10/07

The first recipe should probably read 'Mustard Soup', rather than
'Soup of Mustard'.

Richard Lichten

Mike Lyle

Mar 10, 2007, 1:46:07 PM3/10/07

"Wood Avens" <wood...@askjennison.com> wrote in message
> [On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:39:12 +0100, tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux)
> wrote:]
>
> >Nick <nickN...@nvanderburg.demon.nl> wrote:
[...]

> >> Salad of paprika (4 persons)
> >> Ingredients
> >> 1 yellow paprika
> >> 1 red paprika
> >> 1 green paprika
>
> In the UK, paprikas are called peppers.
>

> >> Tiramisu (4 persons)
> >> ingredients:
> >> 200 gr mascarpone
> >> 2 dl cream
>
> You don't say what kind of cream. Here there are various alternatives
> such as double, single, whipping, etc. Since the recipe calls for it
> to be whipped, obviously it's double or whipping, but it's usual to
> specify it in the ingredients list.
>
> Delicious-sounding recipes!

Note, too, that we say "Mustard soup" and "Pepper salad".

--
Mike.

Don Aitken

Mar 10, 2007, 2:18:22 PM3/10/07
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 16:57:44 +0100, Nick
<nickN...@nvanderburg.demon.nl> wrote:

>Ingredients:
>120 gr. of carrots
>120 gr. of mushrooms
>40 gr. of margarine
>50 gr. flour
>10 dl. of broth
>120 gr. of green peas
>5 dl. milk
>4 spoonful of mustard
>100 gr. of grated cheese
>bread sticks

Take out all of the ofs. You would find them in normal text, but they
are conventionally omitted in an ingredients list.

As someone else noted, many Americans are baffled by recipes which
specify quantities in any form other than the "cups" and "spoons" they
are used to (which, in turn, baffle the rest of us).

British people wouldn't have any problem, except that decilitres are
not often used - substitute "100 ml.". And the usual abbreviation for
"gram" is "g", not "gr".

--
Don Aitken
Mail to the From: address is not read.

Jukka Aho

Mar 10, 2007, 2:23:15 PM3/10/07
Mike Lyle wrote:

> Note, too, that we say "Mustard soup" and "Pepper salad".

How do you distinguish pepper (the fruit/vegetable with a mild or even
sweet taste) from pepper (the fiery ones with lots of capsaicin) and
pepper (the spice) in recipes?

--
znark

Wood Avens

Mar 10, 2007, 2:32:58 PM3/10/07
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 21:23:15 +0200, "Jukka Aho" <jukk...@iki.fi>
wrote:

Generally speaking, context and common sense.

Paul Wolff

Mar 10, 2007, 2:56:00 PM3/10/07
Jukka Aho <jukk...@iki.fi> wrote
If using the word 'pepper', distinguish by calling the first kind sweet
peppers, which may be red, green or yellow peppers, but an unqualified
red pepper would mean the second, hot kind; the second red or chilli
peppers, and cayenne pepper for the ground powder; and the last
peppercorns or ground pepper, black pepper or white pepper (singular).

That's British practice as I know it; the first kind may be called bell
peppers in other places.
--
Paul
In bocca al Lupo!

Robert Bannister

Mar 10, 2007, 6:51:08 PM3/10/07
Wood Avens wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:39:12 +0100, tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux)
> wrote:
>

>>I imagine ""lange vingers"" are ladyfingers, a sort of long, narrow
>>biscuit/cookie? Try putting "ladyfingers" into Google Images.
>

> UK = "sponge fingers".

Good job you said that. I had been imagining okra.
--
Rob Bannister

Derek Turner

Mar 10, 2007, 5:56:54 PM3/10/07
Nick wrote:

> Soup of mustard ( 8 persons)
> Ingredients:
> 120 gr. of carrots
> 120 gr. of mushrooms
> 40 gr. of margarine
> 50 gr. flour
> 10 dl. of broth
> 120 gr. of green peas
> 5 dl. milk
> 4 spoonful of mustard
> 100 gr. of grated cheese
> bread sticks
>
> 1. Peel the carrots and cut them "en julienne" (= small strips.)
> 2. Clean the mushroom en cut them to slices.
> 3. Melt the margarine in a cooking pot, add the flour stir it and
> cool it down (roux).
> 4. Add half of the hot broth, make it boil while stirring it,

bring it to the boil, stirring all the time.

Sara Lorimer

Mar 10, 2007, 6:45:32 PM3/10/07
Derek Turner <frd...@cesmail.net> wrote:

bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

--
SML

Donna Richoux

Mar 10, 2007, 6:57:54 PM3/10/07
Nick <nickN...@nvanderburg.demon.nl> wrote:

> I had to translate some recipes from Dutch to English. Could someone
> be so kind to check the English? It is in the attachment.
>

> 2. Clean the mushroom en cut them to slices.

Clean the mushrooms and cut them into slices. OR
Clean the mushrooms and cut into slices.

> 3. Melt the margarine in a cooking pot, add the flour stir it and
> cool it down (roux).

Melt the margarine in a cooking pot (saucepan?). Add the flour. Stir and
cool (roux).

(In general, you can use a lot of short sentences in recipes. You can
also drop the objects when understood, to save repetition.)

> 7. Serve the soup, with a bread stick.

Serve with breadsticks.

> 1. Cut the chicken breasts in pieces of about 15 gram.

American readers would not know how small that was.

> 2. Roll the pieces through the flour.
> 3. Fry the pieces in a big pan chestnut brown.

Chestnut brown is quite dark. Golden brown?

>let it all slimmer

simmer

Peter Moylan

Mar 10, 2007, 7:06:02 PM3/10/07
That varies by country. In Australia we call the first sort "capsicum",
the second sort "chile peppers" or "chili peppers", and the powder is
simply "pepper". (For the last, we sometimes further subdivide it into
"black pepper", "white pepper", and "peppercorns" for the sort that has
not yet been ground.) In America all three are called pepper, but an
adjective in front distinguishes the different kinds. I think the
English practice is similar, although perhaps not identical, to the
Australian.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org

Please note the changed e-mail and web addresses. The domain
eepjm.newcastle.edu.au no longer exists, and I can no longer
receive mail at my newcastle.edu.au addresses. The optusnet
address could disappear at any time.

Peter Moylan

Mar 10, 2007, 7:12:14 PM3/10/07
Mike Lyle wrote:

> Note, too, that we say "Mustard soup" and "Pepper salad".

Also "Paprika salad", although as noted elsewhere the name of the thing
called "paprika" varies among English-speaking countries. (In Australia,
paprika is a red powder.)

I think we also say "pilaf" rather than "pilaw", but I don't use this
often enough to be certain, and it's just possible that I'm confusing it
with the name of a singer. (Edith Pilaf, The Little Spilaw.)

One of the recipes had an "en" which should have been "and", but I
assume that that was a simple typo.

Skitt

Mar 10, 2007, 7:22:19 PM3/10/07
Donna Richoux wrote:

> Nick wrote:

>> I had to translate some recipes from Dutch to English. Could someone
>> be so kind to check the English? It is in the attachment.
>>

>> 2. Clean the mushroom en cut them to slices.
>
> Clean the mushrooms and cut them into slices. OR
> Clean the mushrooms and cut into slices.

Clean mushrooms and cut into sclices.

>> 3. Melt the margarine in a cooking pot, add the flour stir it and
>> cool it down (roux).
>
> Melt the margarine in a cooking pot (saucepan?). Add the flour. Stir
> and cool (roux).

Melt margarine in saucepan, add flour, stir thoroughly, and let cool.

> (In general, you can use a lot of short sentences in recipes. You can
> also drop the objects when understood, to save repetition.)
>
>> 7. Serve the soup, with a bread stick.
>
> Serve with breadsticks.
>>
>> 1. Cut the chicken breasts in pieces of about 15 gram.
>
> American readers would not know how small that was.

You can say that again. Size description would be better.

>> 2. Roll the pieces through the flour.
>> 3. Fry the pieces in a big pan chestnut brown.
>
> Chestnut brown is quite dark. Golden brown?
>
>> let it all slimmer
>
> simmer

For recipes, definite articles may be omitted, and they usually are.
--
Skitt
Jes' fine!

Oleg Lego

Mar 10, 2007, 11:39:30 PM3/10/07
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:56:00 +0000, Paul Wolff posted:

In Canada the defaults are:

pepper ground black peppercorns.
peppers the flesh of any mild, medium or hot pepper

green peppers these are all referring to the mild
red peppers 'bell peppers', a vegetables
yellow peppers
orange peppers

hot peppers refers to the hot varieties, of any type

jalapeno, habanera, etc. refers to specific types.

Roland Hutchinson

Mar 11, 2007, 12:35:21 AM3/11/07
Skitt wrote:

> Donna Richoux wrote:
>> Nick wrote:
>
>>> I had to translate some recipes from Dutch to English. Could someone
>>> be so kind to check the English? It is in the attachment.
>>>

>>> 2. Clean the mushroom en cut them to slices.
>>
>> Clean the mushrooms and cut them into slices. OR
>> Clean the mushrooms and cut into slices.
>
> Clean mushrooms and cut into sclices.

Clean and slice mushrooms.

--
Roland Hutchinson              Will play viola da gamba for food.

NB mail to my.spamtrap [at] verizon.net is heavily filtered to
remove spam.  If your message looks like spam I may not see it.

Roland Hutchinson

Mar 11, 2007, 12:53:46 AM3/11/07
Oleg Lego wrote:

US defaults are about the same; I'd add

red pepper dried, ground cayenne pepper
red pepper flakes dried hot pepper flakes (are these cayenne or what?)

pepper sauce or hot sauce commercial bottled sauce of hot pepper with
vinegar etc.; "Tobasco sauce" is a trademark often used generically for one
type of this.

Italian (sweet or roasting) peppers Long, light-green vegetable, not hot.
Also called Cubanelle peppers.

Sweet pepper any non-hot pepper, usually a green, red, or yellow bell
pepper.

Sport peppers Something hot that they put on hot dogs in Chicago along
with a lot of other gunk; nobody else knows what they are.

Pepper or black pepper the blackish, ground spice
White pepper the whiteish, ground spice (which is what is meant by
"pepper" in the UK).

R H Draney

Mar 11, 2007, 1:42:44 AM3/11/07
Jukka Aho filted:

By carefully avoiding anything containing the first...the last is "black
pepper"....r

--
"You got Schadenfreude on my Weltanschauung!"
"You got Weltanschauung in my Schadenfreude!"

R H Draney

Mar 11, 2007, 1:46:25 AM3/11/07
Don Aitken filted:

>On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 16:57:44 +0100, Nick
><nickN...@nvanderburg.demon.nl> wrote:
>
>>Ingredients:
>>120 gr. of carrots
>>120 gr. of mushrooms
>>40 gr. of margarine
>>50 gr. flour
>>10 dl. of broth
>>120 gr. of green peas
>>5 dl. milk
>>4 spoonful of mustard
>>100 gr. of grated cheese
>>bread sticks
>
>As someone else noted, many Americans are baffled by recipes which
>specify quantities in any form other than the "cups" and "spoons" they
>are used to (which, in turn, baffle the rest of us).

Furthermore, certain ingredients are given by weight which an American cook
would only measure by volume...in the recipe above, the flour and grated cheese
fall into this category....r

Roland Hutchinson

Mar 11, 2007, 3:27:44 AM3/11/07
Pat Durkin wrote:

> These sound so interesting. I would ask, since I don't know how to
> convert, what size of "spoon" measurement is needed to measure the
> mustard. We have t (tsp or teaspoon) and T (or tablespoon), and use
> halves and quarters to go smaller. 3 t = 1 T, and I think 16 T = 1 C(or
> cup which amounts to 8 ounces fluid measure) I do understand grams and
> deciliters.

Did we not establish, on the last go-round here, that the 5 ml teaspoon and
the 15 ml tablespoon were now standard in all English-speaking countries?

I know the Aussies or somebody used to go for 6 and 18 and a 12 ml
dessertspoon, or something like that.

Nick

Mar 11, 2007, 4:09:15 AM3/11/07

Thanks to all of you for helping so well!!

If I could I would invite you for dinner!

Nick

Nick

Mar 11, 2007, 5:03:42 AM3/11/07
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:56:00 +0000, Paul Wolff
<boun...@two.wolff.co.uk> wrote:

But how would you call "paprika powder" (which is not hot)? It cannot
be cayenne pepper, as that is hot.

Nick Atty

Mar 11, 2007, 5:07:21 AM3/11/07
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 16:22:19 -0800, "Skitt" <ski...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Donna Richoux wrote:
>> Nick wrote:
>
>>> I had to translate some recipes from Dutch to English. Could someone
>>> be so kind to check the English? It is in the attachment.
>>>

>>> 2. Clean the mushroom en cut them to slices.
>>
>> Clean the mushrooms and cut them into slices. OR
>> Clean the mushrooms and cut into slices.
>
>Clean mushrooms and cut into sclices.

Any advance on "clean and slice the mushrooms"?

>> (In general, you can use a lot of short sentences in recipes. You can
>> also drop the objects when understood, to save repetition.)

But for the authentic recipe book experience, you should reverse the
meaning of some common phases. Sometimes.

"Pour over the ..." can usually only be understood by knowing which one
is liquid:

"Make the sauce, pour over the potatoes."
"Drain the potatoes, pour over the sauce"
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
My Reply-To address *is* valid, though likely to die soon

Derek Turner

Mar 11, 2007, 5:11:23 AM3/11/07
Sara Lorimer wrote:

>>> 4. Add half of the hot broth, make it boil while stirring it,
>> bring it to the boil, stirring all the time.
>
> bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

Have we found another pondian difference? In the UK it's normally THE
boil, if the boil is unspecified. A rolling boil, a gentle simmer etc.
but for some reason 'the boil'.

Nick

Mar 11, 2007, 5:11:01 AM3/11/07
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 11:12:14 +1100, Peter Moylan
<pe...@ozebelgDieSpammers.org> wrote:

>Mike Lyle wrote:
>
>> Note, too, that we say "Mustard soup" and "Pepper salad".
>
>Also "Paprika salad", although as noted elsewhere the name of the thing
>called "paprika" varies among English-speaking countries. (In Australia,
>paprika is a red powder.)
>
>I think we also say "pilaf" rather than "pilaw", but I don't use this
>often enough to be certain, and it's just possible that I'm confusing it
>with the name of a singer. (Edith Pilaf, The Little Spilaw.)

You mean Edith Piaf?

>One of the recipes had an "en" which should have been "and", but I
>assume that that was a simple typo.

Yes it was, but it's helpfull that you noticed it anyway!

Nick Atty

Mar 11, 2007, 5:31:24 AM3/11/07

We call it "paprika"!

the Omrud

Mar 11, 2007, 5:33:41 AM3/11/07
nickN...@nvanderburg.demon.nl had it:

It's just called "paprika".

--
David
=====

Peter Moylan

Mar 11, 2007, 7:56:16 AM3/11/07
Nick wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 11:12:14 +1100, Peter Moylan
> <pe...@ozebelgDieSpammers.org> wrote:

>> I think we also say "pilaf" rather than "pilaw", but I don't use
>> this often enough to be certain, and it's just possible that I'm
>> confusing it with the name of a singer. (Edith Pilaf, The Little
>> Spilaw.)
>
> You mean Edith Piaf?

That's right. Sorry, it was a weak joke. To compensate, I've looked up
www.onelook.com and found to my surprise that both "pilaf" and "pilaw"
are used in English, with exactly the same definition, but that "pilaf"
occurs in more dictionaries. That tends to support my feeling that
"pilaf" is the more common spelling in English.

Peter Moylan

Mar 11, 2007, 8:02:52 AM3/11/07
R H Draney wrote:
> Don Aitken filted:

>> As someone else noted, many Americans are baffled by recipes which
>> specify quantities in any form other than the "cups" and "spoons"
>> they are used to (which, in turn, baffle the rest of us).
>
> Furthermore, certain ingredients are given by weight which an
> American cook would only measure by volume...in the recipe above, the
> flour and grated cheese fall into this category....r

I can see why flour is easy to measure by volume, but aren't you adding
complications when doing it for cheese? For me, the way to get 100g of
grated cheese is to cut off one fifth of a 500g block of cheese - or the
equivalent for whatever cheese I'm using - and then grate it. (Actually,
it's kinder on my fingers simply to mark the cheese and grate the large
block up to the mark, but I don't always remember that.) Measuring it by
volume is difficult because it depends on things like how much air is
mixed in with the cheese after grating. Do you grate it loosely into a
cup, squeeze it down hard, or something in between?

Nick Atty

Mar 11, 2007, 8:02:59 AM3/11/07
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:56:16 +1100, Peter Moylan
<pe...@ozebelgDieSpammers.org> wrote:

>Nick wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 11:12:14 +1100, Peter Moylan
>> <pe...@ozebelgDieSpammers.org> wrote:
>
>>> I think we also say "pilaf" rather than "pilaw", but I don't use
>>> this often enough to be certain, and it's just possible that I'm
>>> confusing it with the name of a singer. (Edith Pilaf, The Little
>>> Spilaw.)
>>
>> You mean Edith Piaf?
>
>That's right. Sorry, it was a weak joke. To compensate, I've looked up
>www.onelook.com and found to my surprise that both "pilaf" and "pilaw"
>are used in English, with exactly the same definition, but that "pilaf"
>occurs in more dictionaries. That tends to support my feeling that
>"pilaf" is the more common spelling in English.

I think it's diverged. Pilaf is the middle-easten dish, and pillau
(usually but not always spelt that way) is the indian version (when not
too complicated - when it gets fancy it changes into biryani).

Paul Wolff

Mar 11, 2007, 8:21:19 AM3/11/07
Peter Moylan <pe...@ozebelgDieSpammers.org> wrote

>Nick wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 11:12:14 +1100, Peter Moylan
>><pe...@ozebelgDieSpammers.org> wrote:
>
>>> I think we also say "pilaf" rather than "pilaw", but I don't use
>>> this often enough to be certain, and it's just possible that I'm
>>> confusing it with the name of a singer. (Edith Pilaf, The Little
>>> Spilaw.)
>> You mean Edith Piaf?
>
>That's right. Sorry, it was a weak joke. To compensate, I've looked up
>www.onelook.com and found to my surprise that both "pilaf" and "pilaw"
>are used in English, with exactly the same definition, but that "pilaf"
>occurs in more dictionaries. That tends to support my feeling that
>"pilaf" is the more common spelling in English.

I'm mildly surprised at seeing any spelling other than 'pilau' in an
Indian restaurant menu. And when I read it in the menu, I know it's on
the menu.

John Holmes

Mar 11, 2007, 8:18:30 AM3/11/07

"Roland Hutchinson" <my.sp...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Did we not establish, on the last go-round here, that the 5 ml teaspoon
> and
> the 15 ml tablespoon were now standard in all English-speaking countries?
>
> I know the Aussies or somebody used to go for 6 and 18 and a 12 ml
> dessertspoon, or something like that.

No, in Australia it is 5 and 20 ml for standard tea- and tablespoons. I
haven't ever seen 'dessertspoon' used in recipes since metrication, but I'd
guess at half a tablespoon if I were using a pre-metric recipe.

--
Regards
John

John Holmes

Mar 11, 2007, 8:21:53 AM3/11/07

"the Omrud" <usenet...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> nickN...@nvanderburg.demon.nl had it:

>> But how would you call "paprika powder" (which is not hot)? It cannot
>> be cayenne pepper, as that is hot.
>
> It's just called "paprika".

And sometimes qualified (at least in Australia) as "sweet" or "Hungarian"
paprika, if there's any need for further disambiguation.

Mike Lyle

Mar 11, 2007, 10:42:21 AM3/11/07

"Donna Richoux" <tr...@euronet.nl> wrote in message
> Nick <nickN...@nvanderburg.demon.nl> wrote:
[...]

> > 3. Melt the margarine in a cooking pot, add the flour stir it and
> > cool it down (roux).
>
> Melt the margarine in a cooking pot (saucepan?). Add the flour. Stir
and
> cool (roux).

Agreed on "saucepan", if it's necessary at all: "cooking pots" are more
often found in fairy stories and such-like.

If I wanted to include "roux", I suppose I'd say "Melt the margarine [in
a saucepan] and stir in the flour to make a roux. Allow to cool."

> (In general, you can use a lot of short sentences in recipes. You can
> also drop the objects when understood, to save repetition.)
>
> > 7. Serve the soup, with a bread stick.
>
> Serve with breadsticks.
> >
> > 1. Cut the chicken breasts in pieces of about 15 gram.
>
> American readers would not know how small that was.

Neither would most others. As Skitt (I think) says, an expression of
size is easier than one of weight. Something like "Cut into walnut-sized
pieces", perhaps?

> > 2. Roll the pieces through the flour.

We'd say "Roll in the flour". (And I'd use seasoned flour; but that's a
matter of taste.)

> > 3. Fry the pieces in a big pan chestnut brown.
>
> Chestnut brown is quite dark. Golden brown?

And the word order I'd use is "Fry [till] golden brown". If preserving
the original sentence: "Fry the pieces in a large pan till golden
brown." We prefer "large" and "small" to "big" and "little" in this
rather formal context.

The original mentions "broth": I'd say "stock".

--
Mike.

Pat Durkin

Mar 11, 2007, 11:15:34 AM3/11/07

"Derek Turner" <frd...@cesmail.net> wrote in message

Some of our cookbooks use "the boil", too. Something that reminds me of
"Murder at the Gallop".

Good Lord! I saw Margaret Rutherford as a maid in the 1942 film
"Miranda", just yesterday!

Sara Lorimer

Mar 11, 2007, 11:31:32 AM3/11/07
Peter Moylan <pe...@ozebelgDieSpammers.org> wrote:

> Measuring it by
> volume is difficult because it depends on things like how much air is
> mixed in with the cheese after grating. Do you grate it loosely into a
> cup, squeeze it down hard, or something in between?

Something in between, unless it says "firmly packed." It's a bad system.
I have a kitchen scale, and for recipes I use frequently I write notes
in the margin saying how much the ingredients should weigh.

Measuring by volume,and placing punctuation marks inside the quotation
marks -- as loyal of an American as I am (cue Areff's patriotic music),
these are two traditions I just can't support.

--
SML

Skitt

Mar 11, 2007, 1:09:56 PM3/11/07
Nick Atty wrote:

> "Skitt" wrote:
>> Donna Richoux wrote:

>>> Clean the mushrooms and cut them into slices. OR
>>> Clean the mushrooms and cut into slices.
>>
>> Clean mushrooms and cut into sclices.
>
> Any advance on "clean and slice the mushrooms"?

Yup, drop the "the". I'm glad that we got rid of my extra "c", above.
--
Skitt
Jes' fine!

R H Draney

Mar 11, 2007, 2:19:48 PM3/11/07
Sara Lorimer filted:

Measuring at all is for insecure cooks...I'd never put "100 gr." or "10 dl." of
grated cheese into anything I was cooking unless I had a TV camera trained on
me...I'd toss in "a good-sized handful" of the stuff....r

Robert Bannister

Mar 11, 2007, 8:29:58 PM3/11/07
Donna Richoux wrote:

> Nick <nickN...@nvanderburg.demon.nl> wrote:

>>1. Cut the chicken breasts in pieces of about 15 gram.
>

> American readers would not know how small that was.

I think a lot of other readers wouldn't either. I'm more used to a size
like 3cm or 1 inch cubes.

--
Rob Bannister

Robert Bannister

Mar 11, 2007, 8:35:08 PM3/11/07
Mike Lyle wrote:

> If I wanted to include "roux", I suppose I'd say "Melt the margarine [in
> a saucepan] and stir in the flour to make a roux. Allow to cool."

I thought "roux" was what made it understandable. I always use butter
anyway, as what we call margarine is really "spread" and not very good
for roux, but the " Melt the margarine in a cooking pot, add the flour
stir it and cool it down (roux)" would confuse anyone who had never made
roux before: it sounds as though you cool it down as soon as you've
mixed the flour in. I'm still not sure whether it's supposed to be as
Mike suggests "Make a roux and allow it to cool" or whether it's "Melt
the butter, add the flour and stir it with the heat turned down".
--
Rob Bannister

nanc...@verizon.net

Mar 11, 2007, 8:24:16 PM3/11/07
On Mar 11, 8:29 pm, Robert Bannister <rob...@it.net.au> wrote:
> Donna Richoux wrote:
> > Nick <nickNOS...@nvanderburg.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> >>1. Cut the chicken breasts in pieces of about 15 gram.
>
> > American readers would not know how small that was.
>
> I think a lot of other readers wouldn't either. I'm more used to a size
> like 3cm or 1 inch cubes.

If that's the size we're talking about, then I suggest most recipes
would refer to them as "bite-size pieces".

Roland Hutchinson

Mar 11, 2007, 9:00:35 PM3/11/07
John Holmes wrote:

> "Roland Hutchinson" <my.sp...@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Did we not establish, on the last go-round here, that the 5 ml teaspoon
>> and
>> the 15 ml tablespoon were now standard in all English-speaking countries?
>>
>> I know the Aussies or somebody used to go for 6 and 18 and a 12 ml
>> dessertspoon, or something like that.
>
> No, in Australia it is 5 and 20 ml for standard tea- and tablespoons. I
> haven't ever seen 'dessertspoon' used in recipes since metrication, but
> I'd guess at half a tablespoon if I were using a pre-metric recipe.

20 ml -- that's a big tablespoon! So it wasn't from Oz, but I have an older
set of metric spoons that goes 6 - 12 - 18 ml that must have come from
somewhere!

Steve MacGregor

Mar 11, 2007, 9:33:49 PM3/11/07
Nick skribis:

> This is the same request as I did a few hours earlier, but now as
> text, as I learned that this newsgroup doesn't accept binairies.
> Excuse for that.

> I had to translate some recipes from Dutch to English. Could someone
> be so kind to check the English? It is in the attachment.

> Soup of mustard ( 8 persons)

Say, "Mustard soup"

> Ingredients:
> 120 gr. of carrots
> 120 gr. of mushrooms
> 40 gr. of margarine
> 50 gr. flour
> 10 dl. of broth
> 120 gr. of green peas

There is no such measurement as "gr.". You mean "g".

> 5 dl. milk

We don't need no steenking "dl."! Say ".5 l" or "500 ml" instead.
And don't *never* put a period after the unit.

> 4 spoonful of mustard

Say "teaspoons" or "tablespoons", whichever you mean. A teaspoon is 5
ml, and a tablespoon i 15 ml. Better yet, state as ml in the first
place.

--
Stefano

Peter Moylan

Mar 11, 2007, 10:11:27 PM3/11/07

Suggestion for the next SDC: cut each recipe down to twenty words or fewer.

Stuart Chapman

Mar 12, 2007, 4:27:35 AM3/12/07
Nick wrote:
> [...]

> Tiramisu (4 persons)
> ingredients:
> 200 gr mascarpone
> 2 dl cream
> 50 gr suggar
> 0,5 dl strong coffee
> 12 "lange vingers" ( long fingers, a sort of biscuit)
> cacao powder
> grated chocolate
>
> 1. Whip the cream with the sugar.
> 2. Stir the mascarpone and mix it with the whipped cream.
> 3. When the coffee is cooled down, stir half of it through the
> mascarpone.
> 4. Put the "lange vingers" on the bottom of a glass, sprinkle a bit
> of coffee over it.
> 5. Put a layer of mascarpone mixture on top of the "lange vingers".
> 6. Garnish with "lange vingers", cacao powder and grated
> chocolate.
> 7. Put the glasses in the refrigerator until it is needed.

Hi Nick,

Next time you are throwing a dinner party, please invite me.

Stupot

ObAUE: Are dinner parties too staid to be 'thrown'?

Stupot

Stuart Chapman

Mar 12, 2007, 4:30:28 AM3/12/07
Donna Richoux wrote:

>> 1. Cut the chicken breasts in pieces of about 15 gram.
>

> American readers would not know how small that was.

I'd call 15g 'diced'.

Stupot

Mike Lyle

Mar 12, 2007, 11:21:42 AM3/12/07
Roland Hutchinson wrote:
> John Holmes wrote:
>

>> "Roland Hutchinson" <my.sp...@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Did we not establish, on the last go-round here, that the 5 ml
>>> teaspoon and
>>> the 15 ml tablespoon were now standard in all English-speaking
>>> countries?
>>>
>>> I know the Aussies or somebody used to go for 6 and 18 and a 12 ml
>>> dessertspoon, or something like that.
>>
>> No, in Australia it is 5 and 20 ml for standard tea- and
>> tablespoons. I haven't ever seen 'dessertspoon' used in recipes
>> since metrication, but I'd guess at half a tablespoon if I were
>> using a pre-metric recipe.
>
> 20 ml -- that's a big tablespoon! So it wasn't from Oz, but I have
> an older set of metric spoons that goes 6 - 12 - 18 ml that must have
> come from somewhere!

That would have been a transitional British set, before the 15ml
tablespoon caught on. I have a not very old book which says the Brit
standard is 17.7ml, and the American 14.2. These are presumably
conversions from fl.oz. Only Oz does 20ml: even NZ uses 15, according to
Aus Women's Weekly.

Eric Schwartz

Mar 14, 2007, 4:43:57 PM3/14/07
Stuart Chapman <ten.no.e...@nampahc.trauts> writes:

> ObAUE: Are dinner parties too staid to be 'thrown'?

Well, if you're strong enough to pick one up, I don't see why you
couldn't throw it.

-=Eric

John Holmes

Mar 15, 2007, 4:31:02 AM3/15/07

> John Holmes wrote:
>>
>> No, in Australia it is 5 and 20 ml for standard tea- and tablespoons. I
>> haven't ever seen 'dessertspoon' used in recipes since metrication, but
>> I'd guess at half a tablespoon if I were using a pre-metric recipe.
>
> 20 ml -- that's a big tablespoon!

It has to be or it wouldn't hold enough dead 'orse, mate.