'chunder'

Nienke van Engeldorp Gastelaars

Sep 8, 2001, 7:15:14 AM9/8/01
Does anyone know what the word (tactical) 'chunder' means? It was in a
document about the impact of various alcoholic beverages. It does not seem
to be a proper name.

Nienke

Rudolf

Sep 8, 2001, 8:46:16 AM9/8/01

Nienke van Engeldorp Gastelaars asked:

: Does anyone know what the word (tactical) 'chunder' means? It was in a

: document about the impact of various alcoholic beverages. It does not seem
: to be a proper name.

Vomit.

Harvey V

Sep 8, 2001, 8:54:57 AM9/8/01
On 08 Sep 2001, I take it that "Rudolf" <ta...@face.value> said:
> Nienke van Engeldorp Gastelaars asked:
>
>> Does anyone know what the word (tactical) 'chunder' means?

-snip-

> Vomit.

Slang; chiefly Australian.

Harvey

Padraig Breathnach

Sep 8, 2001, 11:17:53 AM9/8/01
"Harvey V" <whhvs@*removethis*operamail.com> wrote:

Something to do with their beer.

PB

Harvey V

Sep 8, 2001, 11:37:58 AM9/8/01
On 08 Sep 2001, I take it that Padraig Breathnach <padr...@iol.ie>
said:

>> -snip-
>>> Vomit.
>> Slang; chiefly Australian.
>>
> Something to do with their beer.

Now, ain't *that* the truth!

Harvey

Donna Richoux

Sep 8, 2001, 2:15:56 PM9/8/01
Harvey V <whhvs@*removethis*operamail.com> wrote:

But what is the significance of "(tactical)" in the original question,
may I ask? Tactical as opposed to strategic?
--
Puzzled -- Donna Richoux

Rudolf

John Dean

Sep 8, 2001, 8:11:00 PM9/8/01

Donna Richoux <tr...@euronet.nl> wrote in message

I would guess it points up the difference between the involuntary chunder
where you cannot choose the time place or direction, and the self-induced
chunder which facilitates further consumption of alcohol after your
theoretical limit is reached. I had a friend who was a genius at this. He
could chunder at will, do so in one fell eruption (like a cat) and be back
at the bar before anyone noticed he was missing. Remarkable fellow
--
John Dean -- Oxford
I am anti-spammed -- defrag me to reply

howard richler

Sep 9, 2001, 12:41:07 AM9/9/01
"Rudolf" <ta...@face.value> wrote in message news:<Dgum7.23010$592.3...@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>...

I've heard that "chunder" comes from the tendency of people to throw up on
ships and is a contraction of the warning "Wat(ch under)."

M. Ranjit Mathews

Sep 9, 2001, 4:01:10 AM9/9/01
"John Dean" <john...@fraglineone.net> wrote ...

> I would guess it points up the difference between the involuntary chunder
> where you cannot choose the time place or direction, and the self-induced
> chunder which facilitates further consumption of alcohol after your
> theoretical limit is reached. I had a friend who was a genius at this. He
> could chunder at will, do so in one fell eruption (like a cat) and be back
> at the bar before anyone noticed he was missing. Remarkable fellow

I've heard that the Romans did the same thing with food.

"The romans used to keep one room as a vomitorium. Guests who were
full and wanted to eat more could go into this room to make themselves
sick and then rejoin the group for more food."
http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/nettsch/time/rgames.html
"Once you've finished eating (and visiting the vomitorium, and eating
some more, and so forth)"
http://www.rpg.net/larp/scenario/romanorgy.html

Rowan Dingle

Sep 9, 2001, 8:43:53 AM9/9/01
In alt.usage.english, Donna Richoux <tr...@euronet.nl> wrote:
>Harvey V <whhvs@*removethis*operamail.com> wrote:
>> On 08 Sep 2001, I take it that "Rudolf" <ta...@face.value> said:
>> > Nienke van Engeldorp Gastelaars asked:

>> > Vomit.

>> Slang; chiefly Australian.
>
>But what is the significance of "(tactical)" in the original question,
>may I ask? Tactical as opposed to strategic?

Possibly a pun on the stock phrase 'tactical blunder'.

--
Rowan Dingle