Eggcorn from uk.misc (Re: Last Winter's back)

Prai Jei

Nov 16, 2010, 4:11:55 PM11/16/10
james set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:

--
ξ:) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

LFS

Nov 16, 2010, 4:24:30 PM11/16/10
Prai Jei wrote:
> james set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:
>
>> De ja vu this morning. The sound of an ice breaker scraping and there
>> she was: the lady who always leaves her car parked outside my house --
>> busy scratching a tiny hole in the whore frost in her windshield. Her
>> routine was the same as last winter.

If that "james" is, as I suspect, JF, it may well have been deliberate.

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

Pat Durkin

Nov 16, 2010, 7:10:25 PM11/16/10

"Prai Jei" <pvstownse...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> james set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time
> continuum:
>
>> De ja vu this morning. The sound of an ice breaker scraping and
>> there
>> she was: the lady who always leaves her car parked outside my
>> house --
>> busy scratching a tiny hole in the whore frost in her windshield.
>> Her
>> routine was the same as last winter.

Funny. But, aside from the scandalous weather description, I find
"ice breaker" incongruous in the situation. In Wisconsin, those are
ships built in the state's shipyards, though I have no idea how a
Great Lakes port can make such important sea-going ships. (Seems to
me the last one rolled off the dry-dock last year. I don't know where
future ice-breakers are being built.)

Of course an ice breaker at a cocktail party is another thing, and
quite needed, especially for those who like their drinks on the rocks.
But for frosty windshields...I use an ice scraper.

abzorba

Nov 17, 2010, 12:04:08 AM11/17/10
On Nov 17, 11:10 am, "Pat Durkin" <durki...@msn.com> wrote:
> "Prai Jei" <pvstownsend.zyx....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

And, of course, ice-breakers can end up on the rocks too..

Myles (>> Did your spell checker change Advocaat to avocado?
> Oops! Yes, ahem - thanks. ) Paulsen

Mike Barnes

Nov 17, 2010, 4:26:46 AM11/17/10
LFS <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk>:

It was Jimbo, so yes, possibly it was deliberate. But there were a few
other infelicities in the message, unlikely to be deliberate.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

musika

Nov 17, 2010, 7:46:30 AM11/17/10
In news:ibv6hk$qsm$1...@news.eternal-september.org,
Pat Durkin <durk...@msn.com> typed:

And no self-respecting Englishman would use "windshield" for "windscreen".

--
Ray
UK

Mike Barnes

Nov 17, 2010, 9:44:02 AM11/17/10
musika <mUs...@SPAMNOTexcite.com>:

Jimbo has a special place in his heart for Americans.

Pat Durkin

Nov 17, 2010, 10:39:20 AM11/17/10

"musika" <mUs...@SPAMNOTexcite.com> wrote in message

> In news:ibv6hk$qsm$1...@news.eternal-september.org,
> Pat Durkin <durk...@msn.com> typed:
>> "Prai Jei" <pvstownse...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> james set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time
>>> continuum:

>> Funny. But, aside from the scandalous weather description, I find
>> "ice breaker" incongruous in the situation. In Wisconsin, those
>> are
>> ships built in the state's shipyards.

>> Of course an ice breaker at a cocktail party is another thing, and
>> quite needed, especially for those who like their drinks on the
>> rocks.
>> But for frosty windshields...I use an ice scraper.
>
> And no self-respecting Englishman would use "windshield" for
> "windscreen".

I wanted to change that, but thought it best if a person from "over
there" made the suggestion.

Message has been deleted