sardines

Sara Lorimer

Jun 3, 2004, 1:58:48 PM6/3/04
I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?

--
SML, feeling Piddyish
http://pirate-women.com

Pat Durkin

Jun 3, 2004, 2:14:28 PM6/3/04

"Sara Lorimer" <sl560_del...@columbia.edu> wrote in message

> I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
> something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?

Classic, as Iearned at my daddy's knee:

1)Grab the fish by the tail.
2)Lay the fish across a soda cracker (saltine), break off the part that
hangs over and replace it in the can for the next bite.
3)Cover the sardine-and-cracker with a second saltine. Stuff it into your
mouth and begin chewing (while assembling the next mouthful.)

Just about the quickest fast food you can find--and the oil, as with raw
eggs in milk, etc. can line the stomach for the next drinking bout.

I prefer the kind packed in mustard, but will take the tomato sauce pack as
second choice. Have to kind of salt-and-pepper the oil pack variety.

Size doesn't really matter in this sandwich preparation.

I believe sardines and other oily fish are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, not
to mention iodine.

John DeFiore

Jun 3, 2004, 2:12:36 PM6/3/04

"Sara Lorimer" <sl560_del...@columbia.edu> wrote in message
> I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
> something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?

With whipped cream and vanilla gelato.

Yum,

J-

John DeFiore

Jun 3, 2004, 2:14:51 PM6/3/04

"Pat Durkin" <durk...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

They're also rich in calcium. (Especially with whipped cream and vanilla
gelato.)

J-

Sara Lorimer

Jun 3, 2004, 2:18:19 PM6/3/04
Pat Durkin wrote:

> "Sara Lorimer" <sl560_del...@columbia.edu> wrote in message
> > I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
> > something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?
>

> Classic, as Iearned at my daddy's knee:
>
> 1)Grab the fish by the tail.
> 2)Lay the fish across a soda cracker (saltine), break off the part that
> hangs over and replace it in the can for the next bite.
> 3)Cover the sardine-and-cracker with a second saltine. Stuff it into your
> mouth and begin chewing (while assembling the next mouthful.)

Thank you, sir. Um, ma'am. Comrade. I look forward to eating them as per
your advice. (I suspect they are not keyboard-friendly snacks.)

--
SML
http://pirate-women.com

Laura F Spira

Jun 3, 2004, 2:21:10 PM6/3/04
Sara Lorimer wrote:
> I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
> something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?

Are they Portuguese, in olive oil? (That's the only type I like. Em
likes the oil and it prevents furballs.)

Mash them up, season with lemon juice and spread on hot toast.

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

Sara Lorimer

Jun 3, 2004, 2:25:23 PM6/3/04
Laura F Spira wrote:

> Sara Lorimer wrote:
> > I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
> > something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?
> >

> Are they Portuguese, in olive oil? (That's the only type I like. Em
> likes the oil and it prevents furballs.)

They're in olive oil, but they're Moroccan. They were very cheap; that
can't be a good sign.

> Mash them up, season with lemon juice and spread on hot toast.

Oooh, that sounds good too. But we're out of bread. Perhaps I'll mash
and season them, then spread them on crackers -- thus combining your and
Pat's recipes (sorry, John, but we're out of whipped cream as well).
--
SML
http://pirate-women.com

Donna Richoux

Jun 3, 2004, 2:43:08 PM6/3/04
Laura F Spira <la...@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

> Sara Lorimer wrote:
> > I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
> > something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?
> >

> Are they Portuguese, in olive oil? (That's the only type I like. Em
> likes the oil and it prevents furballs.)
>
> Mash them up, season with lemon juice and spread on hot toast.

My father used to always mash them up in a bowl with chopped raw onion,
and spread them on toast. I grew up thinking that sardines were
zingy-tasting, not realizing that was entirely due to the onion.

My husband eats them straight out of the can with a fork, as a snack. I
think you have room to maneuver, Sara.

--
Best -- Donna Richoux

R H Draney

Jun 3, 2004, 2:20:35 PM6/3/04
Pat Durkin filted:

>"Sara Lorimer" <sl560_del...@columbia.edu> wrote in message
>> I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
>> something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?
>

>Classic, as Iearned at my daddy's knee:
>
>1)Grab the fish by the tail.
>2)Lay the fish across a soda cracker (saltine), break off the part that
>hangs over and replace it in the can for the next bite.
>3)Cover the sardine-and-cracker with a second saltine. Stuff it into your
>mouth and begin chewing (while assembling the next mouthful.)

You can also put them between two slices of white bread and use up the whole can
at once...none of this "break off the part that hangs over" foolishness....

If you want to go for a little more variety of presentation, you can cook them
into a frittata...add cream cheese and chives to taste....r

david56

Jun 3, 2004, 3:09:33 PM6/3/04
Laura F Spira typed thus:

> Sara Lorimer wrote:
> > I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
> > something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?
>
> Are they Portuguese, in olive oil? (That's the only type I like. Em
> likes the oil and it prevents furballs.)
>
> Mash them up, season with lemon juice and spread on hot toast.

Good so far, but then put them back under the grill to toast the
sardines as well. This was a standard light meal when I was young
(56s/60s) as I suppose tinned sardines were cheap.

--
David
=====

John W. Hall

Jun 3, 2004, 3:20:40 PM6/3/04
On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:58:48 -0400, sl560_del...@columbia.edu
(Sara Lorimer) wrote:

>I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
>something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?

a.u.e, your first port of call for food-related questions!

On toast.

--
John W Hall <wweexxss...@telus.net>
Cochrane, Alberta, Canada.

Pat Durkin

Jun 3, 2004, 3:26:01 PM6/3/04

"R H Draney" <dado...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Fast food is fast food--and no dirty dishes to wash. We ate this on the
riverbank or in the boat on those summer fishing days. You see, no
implements were needed. The sardine can had a roll-me-open top. I have
tried it while driving, but it doesn't work. You gotta use the other hand
now and then or it gets messy. But it was fun trying it one-handed.

I think I might try that recipe from Laura --lemon juice, mash the fish into
a paste, spread on toast. But a frittata (sounds like Buttafuco, doesn't
it?) doesn't appeal to me at all. Mixing eggs and sardines?

Demetrius Zeluff

Jun 3, 2004, 3:43:06 PM6/3/04
sl560_del...@columbia.edu (Sara Lorimer) wrote in

> I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
> something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?

My pal eats them mashed on toast with marmite and a bit of cheese.

Alan Crozier

Jun 3, 2004, 3:52:44 PM6/3/04
"Sara Lorimer" <sl560_del...@columbia.edu> wrote in message
> I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
> something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?

Try a sardine butty.

--
Alan Crozier
Lund

Laura F Spira

Jun 3, 2004, 3:54:49 PM6/3/04

Yuck! Marmite is great with Cheddar or cream cheese but sardines would
spoil it.

rewboss

Jun 3, 2004, 3:46:33 PM6/3/04
"Sara Lorimer" <sl560_del...@columbia.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
> something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?

With your mouth.

John DeFiore

Jun 3, 2004, 4:40:42 PM6/3/04

"Sara Lorimer" <sl560_del...@columbia.edu> wrote in message

Despite the fact that I was just joking, there actually is (was?) a company
in England making fish and chips ice cream. Of course here in Northern
California the city of Gilroy has the annual garlic festival, which always
includes garlic ice cream. That might go well with the sardines. I prefer
the Spanish boquerónes, which are called "white anchovies" here, just plain
with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of black pepper. I'm not sure if
they prevent (or cause) furballs or have as much calcium or omega three
fatty acids.

J-

Demetrius Zeluff

Jun 3, 2004, 4:55:23 PM6/3/04
"John DeFiore" <firstnam...@yahoo.com> wrote in

[snip]

> Despite the fact that I was just joking, there actually is (was?) a
> company in England making fish and chips ice cream.

That sounds horrid. Brown bread Ice cream was nice. Chilli ice cream was
nice.

> Of course here in
> Northern California the city of Gilroy

I've been there! There are factory outlet stores and very bored shop
assistants and English tourists and lots of Garlic. Plus, it was my first
time seeing Americans parking near one store, shopping, then getting in
their car and driving the few metres (or yards) to be near the next store,
and then shopping etc. I wonder if anyon has ever measured the distance
from store to car repeated versus the distance just walking from store to
store?

> has the annual garlic festival,
> which always includes garlic ice cream.

Actually, that sounds foul.

A bit like the ice-cream flavour crisps that were sold here a while aga.

Arcadian Rises

Jun 3, 2004, 5:08:36 PM6/3/04
In article <dXKvc.36721$zO3....@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Pat
Durkin" <durk...@peoplepc.com> writes:

> Mixing eggs and sardines?

Yuck!

Try mixing sardines with cream cheese. Nice texture, great taste.

John DeFiore

Jun 3, 2004, 5:23:07 PM6/3/04

"Demetrius Zeluff" <2876...@tmicha.net> wrote in message

It is.

Another interesting parking phenomenon is watching people at my health club
wait 5 minutes for a close parking spot so that they can go in and get on
the treadmill for 30 minutes.

Regards,

John

Skitt

Jun 3, 2004, 5:38:59 PM6/3/04
John DeFiore wrote:

> Another interesting parking phenomenon is watching people at my
> health club wait 5 minutes for a close parking spot so that they can
> go in and get on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

That's OK. They are the same ones who will have a double cheeseburger,
large fries, and a *Diet* Coke afterwards.
--
Skitt (in Hayward, California)
www.geocities.com/opus731/

Sara Lorimer

Jun 3, 2004, 6:08:04 PM6/3/04
Demetrius Zeluff wrote:

> "John DeFiore" <firstnam...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
> [snip]
>
> > Despite the fact that I was just joking, there actually is (was?) a
> > company in England making fish and chips ice cream.
>
> That sounds horrid. Brown bread Ice cream was nice. Chilli ice cream was
> nice.

I had lavender ice-cream once, in a fance restaurant. It made me think
of those sad, dusty, seashell-shaped soaps found in some bathrooms.

--
SML
http://pirate-women.com

Mike Lyle

Jun 3, 2004, 6:22:31 PM6/3/04
tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux) wrote in message news:<1geto19.ddv1gjmzwcvN%tr...@euronet.nl>...

If the oven's hot for something else, you can put the opened tin in
there for a few minutes, then spread on toast or do whatever. Chili
sauce is good.

On hot plain boiled rice with lots of soy sauce is one of the "comfort
foods when skint" in the recipe book I wrote for my university-bound
children. If less skint, add chopped spring onion or chives, chopped
tomato, cucumber, whatever.

I haven't tried with lightly-fried chopped bitter gourd, but if you
like this weird Indian veg it should go well.

Mike.

Tony Cooper

Jun 3, 2004, 8:36:40 PM6/3/04
(Sara Lorimer) wrote:

>I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
>something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?

1. Open can.

R H Draney

Jun 3, 2004, 7:18:38 PM6/3/04
Skitt filted:

>That's OK. They are the same ones who will have a double cheeseburger,
>large fries, and a *Diet* Coke afterwards.

When you've got diabetics in the family, there's nothing at all wrong with that
order....r

Skitt

Jun 3, 2004, 11:35:02 PM6/3/04

I was afraid someone might say that. Joke killer!

Dylan Nicholson

Jun 4, 2004, 12:05:54 AM6/4/04
"R H Draney" <dado...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Except that...

From the San Francisco Chronicle, Jean Weininger states that "studies have
shown that people who use artificial sweeteners don't necessarily reduce
their consumption of sugar -- or their total calorie intake. . . . Having a
diet soda makes it okay to eat a double cheeseburger and a chocolate mousse
pie"

(from http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/symptoms.htm)

Seems some fast food burgers have over 20g of sugar, which not that much
different from the amount of sugar in an average serving of coke (10g per
100mL - so I guess 25g for a 250mL serving), so you'd think anyone serious
about reducing sugar intake wouldn't be eating burgers in the first place.

Dylan

Steve Hayes

Jun 4, 2004, 12:47:24 AM6/4/04

With sweetened condensed milk. At midnight.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm

R H Draney

Jun 4, 2004, 1:09:07 AM6/4/04
Tony Cooper filted:

2. Hand can to trainer.

3. Play simple tune on row of horns using snout.

4. Slap flippers together expectantly.

5. Open mouth to catch sardines as trainer throws them to you.

....r

Demetrius Zeluff

Jun 4, 2004, 8:00:03 AM6/4/04
sl560_del...@columbia.edu (Sara Lorimer) wrote in

Lonely soap? *sniff* It's so sad.

I had lavender chocolate, and that wasn't nice either. This thread is
starting to sound a bit like a group of people with a disgusting drink:

"Urgh! This is revolting. Go on, try some!"
"Bleurk! That *is* revolting. Go on, you try some."
"Bletch! Yes, that's nasty. Hey! You! Have a bit of this, it's horrid!
etc etc.

Brian Wickham

Jun 4, 2004, 8:22:11 AM6/4/04
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:05:54 +1000, "Dylan Nicholson"
<wizo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"R H Draney" <dado...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Skitt filted:
>> >
>> >That's OK. They are the same ones who will have a double cheeseburger,
>> >large fries, and a *Diet* Coke afterwards.
>>
>> When you've got diabetics in the family, there's nothing at all wrong with
>that
>> order....r
>
>Except that...
>
>From the San Francisco Chronicle, Jean Weininger states that "studies have
>shown that people who use artificial sweeteners don't necessarily reduce
>their consumption of sugar -- or their total calorie intake. . . . Having a
>diet soda makes it okay to eat a double cheeseburger and a chocolate mousse
>pie"

Let the "studies" people loose and they will confirm, or deny, any
preconceived notion you want.

So when I order a cheeseburger and a Diet Coke you assume I am in
denial. An assumption is made that anyone ordering a Diet Coke is
making a statement about their, and by implication your, eating
habits. Take my word for it, it is not about you. Has it occurred to
anyone that there are many people who prefer the taste of Diet Coke?
I haven't been able to get down a Coke for the last 30 years because I
find it just too cloyingly sweet. Diet Coke tastes similar to what a
Coke at a soda fountain tasted like in the 1950s or 60s where they
were invariably thinner in syrup than the bottled version. And, to
me, today's decaffeinated diet version tastes even better.

A cheeseburger and a Diet Coke makes a lot of sense to me, if you like
cheeseburgers, and you like Diet Coke. Does it have to be more
complicated than that? Would this have been an issue if the original
person had ordered their cheeseburger and fries with a glass of water?

Brian Wickham

Dena Jo

Jun 4, 2004, 9:54:52 AM6/4/04
On 03 Jun 2004, Sara Lorimer posted thus:

I had avocado ice cream once, and it was delicious.

--
Dena Jo

Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain.
Have I confused you? Go here:
http://myweb.cableone.net/denajo/emailme.htm

Demetrius Zeluff

Jun 4, 2004, 1:21:10 PM6/4/04
Brian Wickham <bwickham@NO~SPAM.nyc.rr.com> wrote in

> Would this have been an issue if the original
> person had ordered their cheeseburger and fries with a glass of water?

"We don't got any 'water'."

"Uh, I mean that stuff, over there"

"Oh, warder, why didn you say."

Areff

Jun 4, 2004, 2:46:34 PM6/4/04
Sara Lorimer wrote:
> I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
> something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?

In _pasta con sarde_, of course. Geez!

Joe Fineman

Jun 4, 2004, 7:17:17 PM6/4/04
"Pat Durkin" <durk...@peoplepc.com> writes:

> Mixing eggs and sardines?

JEWISH FRENCH TOAST

In a little butter, saute some sliced onion. Put the sardines and
some sliced mushrooms on top. In a small bowl, mix 2 eggs with just
enough milk to make a smooth mixture. Break a matzo into the mixture,
and pour it into the pan. Cover with a plate. When the plate becomes
hot to the touch, remove & drain it. Cut the contents of the pan in
four pieces with a spatula, and turn them over. Turn off the heat.
Add salt & pepper to taste; by the time you have done that, the other
side is finished. Transfer to the plate & eat.
--
--- Joe Fineman j...@TheWorld.com

||: Only a unique solution need have all the symmetries of the :||
||: problem. :||

Joe Fineman

Jun 4, 2004, 7:20:51 PM6/4/04
sl560_del...@columbia.edu (Sara Lorimer) writes:

> I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
> something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?

Cover a slice of real bread with a leaf of lettuce. Put the sardines
on top. Cover with thin slices of red onion, then another leaf of
lettuce. Eat with an apron on.

--
--- Joe Fineman j...@TheWorld.com

||: Most of the evil in the world comes from nature, and most :||
||: of the ugliness comes from art. :||

iwasaki

Jun 5, 2004, 12:10:23 PM6/5/04

"Dena Jo" wrote in message

> On 03 Jun 2004, Sara Lorimer posted thus:
> > Demetrius Zeluff wrote:
> >> "John DeFiore" wrote in

> >> That sounds horrid. Brown bread Ice cream was nice. Chilli ice
> >> cream was nice.
> >
> > I had lavender ice-cream once, in a fance restaurant. It made me
> > think of those sad, dusty, seashell-shaped soaps found in some
> > bathrooms.
>
> I had avocado ice cream once, and it was delicious.

I had cabbage ice cream once, in a town where cabbage is one of
their special products. It was just horrible. They also have
things like "cabbage kimchi" or "cabbage-kimchi bread".

Speaking of cabbage. Does "cabbage" have a connotation of
"pregnancy" or "new-born baby" in English? In a French movie
I saw the other day, they were using cabbages to suggest them,
and I wondered if it means the same in English-speaking countries.

--
Nobuko Iwasaki

Dena Jo

Jun 5, 2004, 12:04:11 PM6/5/04
On 05 Jun 2004, iwasaki posted thus:

> They also have things like "cabbage kimchi"

I thought that's what kimchi was -- a cabbage dish.

Tony Cooper

Jun 5, 2004, 12:15:00 PM6/5/04
On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 01:10:23 +0900, "iwasaki"
<pianofor...@mtg.biglobe.ne.jp> wrote:

>Speaking of cabbage. Does "cabbage" have a connotation of
>"pregnancy" or "new-born baby" in English? In a French movie
>I saw the other day, they were using cabbages to suggest them,
>and I wondered if it means the same in English-speaking countries.

I'm not sure about the actual adage, but when small children ask their
parents where they came from, parents used to say "I found you in a
cabbage patch" rather than to go into the birds and bees story.
See:
http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/secondpregnancy/a/babiescomefrom.htm

There's a very popular doll line in the US called the "Cabbage Patch
Doll".

Liz

Jun 5, 2004, 12:33:27 PM6/5/04
"Joe Fineman" <j...@TheWorld.com> wrote:

> sl560_del...@columbia.edu (Sara Lorimer) writes:
>
> > I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
> > something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?
>
> Cover a slice of real bread with a leaf of lettuce. Put the sardines
> on top. Cover with thin slices of red onion, then another leaf of
> lettuce. Eat with an apron on.

My cat's breath smells like sardine without the onion. :)

Dr Robin Bignall

Jun 5, 2004, 6:33:23 PM6/5/04

In England, parents would say "A stork brought you". I notice that storks
have a similar connection with delivering babies in America, too.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/valuebuy/stordesnewbo.html

--

wrmst rgrds
Robin Bignall

Hertfordshire
England

mUs1Ka

Jun 5, 2004, 8:52:53 PM6/5/04

Apparently, my parents found me under a gooseberry bush.

--
Ray.

Robert Bannister

Jun 6, 2004, 12:01:38 AM6/6/04
Sara Lorimer wrote:

> Pat Durkin wrote:
>

>>"Sara Lorimer" <sl560_del...@columbia.edu> wrote in message

>>>I bought a can of sardines, as I've heard they're rich in
>>>something-or-other. What's the best way to eat them?
>>

>>Classic, as Iearned at my daddy's knee:
>>
>>1)Grab the fish by the tail.
>>2)Lay the fish across a soda cracker (saltine), break off the part that
>>hangs over and replace it in the can for the next bite.
>>3)Cover the sardine-and-cracker with a second saltine. Stuff it into your
>>mouth and begin chewing (while assembling the next mouthful.)
>

> Thank you, sir. Um, ma'am. Comrade. I look forward to eating them as per
> your advice. (I suspect they are not keyboard-friendly snacks.)

I would suggest toast, rather than crackers. A little worcester sauce
might not go amiss either. Personally, I eat them in a bread and butter
sandwich with various salad vegetables like tomato, lettuce, etc. You
may find them rather strong tasting to start with. You can buy smoked
sardines here in W Australia, but I haven't tried them yet.

--
Rob Bannister

Robert Bannister

Jun 6, 2004, 12:04:39 AM6/6/04
iwasaki wrote:

Don't forget they are liable to call their sweethearts 'my little
cabbage' and the word for 'great' is 'chouette', which also means little
cabbage.

--
Rob Bannister

Robert Bannister

Jun 6, 2004, 12:06:18 AM6/6/04
mUs1Ka wrote:

> Dr Robin Bignall wrote:

>>In England, parents would say "A stork brought you". I notice that
>>storks have a similar connection with delivering babies in America,
>>too. http://shop.store.yahoo.com/valuebuy/stordesnewbo.html
>

> Apparently, my parents found me under a gooseberry bush.

My mother was told she found in a haystack. Both her and your
explanation makes better sense than the stork, since storks are rarely
seen in England and yet the babies keep on coming.

--
Rob Bannister

Steve Hayes

Jun 6, 2004, 1:13:40 AM6/6/04
On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 12:15:00 -0400, Tony Cooper <tony_co...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 01:10:23 +0900, "iwasaki"

Do they still have those?

Cabbage Patch dolls were all the rage here 20 years ago (my daughter had 2),
but I haven't seen any since then.

Tony Cooper

Jun 6, 2004, 1:30:05 AM6/6/04
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 05:13:40 GMT, haye...@hotmail.com (Steve Hayes)
wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 12:15:00 -0400, Tony Cooper <tony_co...@earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 01:10:23 +0900, "iwasaki"
>><pianofor...@mtg.biglobe.ne.jp> wrote:
>>
>>>Speaking of cabbage. Does "cabbage" have a connotation of
>>>"pregnancy" or "new-born baby" in English? In a French movie
>>>I saw the other day, they were using cabbages to suggest them,
>>>and I wondered if it means the same in English-speaking countries.
>>
>>I'm not sure about the actual adage, but when small children ask their
>>parents where they came from, parents used to say "I found you in a
>>cabbage patch" rather than to go into the birds and bees story.
>>See:
>>http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/secondpregnancy/a/babiescomefrom.htm
>>
>>There's a very popular doll line in the US called the "Cabbage Patch
>>Doll".
>
>Do they still have those?

From a website: "Currently, Mattel still makes Cabbage Patch dolls.
However, the dolls do not have cloth bodies--the dolls continue to be
all-vinyl play dolls. The dolls are generally 14" or smaller, and
most of them have a "gimmick"--they play on water-toys, swim, eat, or
brush their teeth. Most of the Mattel play Cabbage Patch dolls are
available at mass-market retailers such as Toys R Us for prices
generally under $20."

I wish they hadn't written "Currently" there. If Mattel still makes
them, they didn't need "Currently".

Michael West

Jun 6, 2004, 2:03:15 AM6/6/04
mUs1Ka wrote:

> Apparently, my parents found me under a gooseberry bush.

I suspect they were up to no good down there.
--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia

mUs1Ka

Jun 6, 2004, 2:45:53 AM6/6/04
Michael West wrote:
> mUs1Ka wrote:
>
>> Apparently, my parents found me under a gooseberry bush.
>
> I suspect they were up to no good down there.

Excuse me! My parents never did anything like that. All my brothers and
sisters will back me up on this point.

--
Ray

iwasaki

Jun 6, 2004, 11:16:56 AM6/6/04

"Dena Jo" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> On 05 Jun 2004, iwasaki posted thus:
>
> > They also have things like "cabbage kimchi"
>
> I thought that's what kimchi was -- a cabbage dish.

I think kimchi is usually made of chinese cabbage.
Using cabbage instead of chinese cabbage is rare
(at least, here in Japan, and probably in Korea, too).

--
Nobuko Iwasaki

Glenn Knickerbocker

Jun 6, 2004, 5:43:24 PM6/6/04
On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 07:45:53 +0100, mUs1Ka wrote:
>Excuse me! My parents never did anything like that. All my brothers and
>sisters will back me up on this point.

Not with each other, you mean.

ŹR / Darla: Leftovers aren't the mark of a man. \ www.bestweb.net/~notr
Andrew Reid: Actually, they are, because that's how men's shirts button.