Bar jokes

Peter Moylan

Nov 22, 2011, 5:45:26 PM11/22/11
These have been attributed to Eric K. Auld. I don't know who he is.

------
1. A comma splice walks into a bar, it has a drink and then leaves.

2. A dangling modifier walks into a bar. After finishing a drink,
the bartender asks it to leave.

3. A question mark walks into a bar?

4. Two quotation marks "walk into" a bar.

5. A gerund and an infinitive walk into a bar, planning to drink.

6. The bar was walked into by the passive voice.

7. Three intransitive verbs walk into a bar. They sit. They drink. They leave.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

James Hogg

Nov 22, 2011, 5:54:26 PM11/22/11
Peter Moylan wrote:
> These have been attributed to Eric K. Auld. I don't know who he is.
>
> ------
> 1. A comma splice walks into a bar, it has a drink and then leaves.
>
> 2. A dangling modifier walks into a bar. After finishing a drink,
> the bartender asks it to leave.
>
> 3. A question mark walks into a bar?
>
> 4. Two quotation marks "walk into" a bar.
>
> 5. A gerund and an infinitive walk into a bar, planning to drink.
>
> 6. The bar was walked into by the passive voice.
>
> 7. Three intransitive verbs walk into a bar. They sit. They drink. They leave.

8. A metathesis walks into a bra.

--
James

franzi

Nov 22, 2011, 6:20:53 PM11/22/11
James Hogg <Jas....@gOUTmail.com> wrote
Then it must have been in its cups.
--
franzi

Alan Curry

Nov 22, 2011, 6:35:35 PM11/22/11
In article <jah978$rsn$1...@dont-email.me>,
9. A greengrocer walk's into a bar.

--
Alan Curry

MC

Nov 22, 2011, 6:47:19 PM11/22/11
In article <jahbk6$27p$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
10. A spoonerism balks into a war.

--

"If you can, tell me something happy."
- Marybones

Iain Archer

Nov 22, 2011, 6:51:46 PM11/22/11
MC wrote on Tue, 22 Nov 2011
11. An en dashes into a barn.
--
Iain Archer To email, please use Reply-To address

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 22, 2011, 7:47:55 PM11/22/11
Iain Archer wrote:

> MC wrote:
>> Alan Curry wrote:

>>> 9. A greengrocer walk's into a bar.
>>
>> 10. A spoonerism balks into a war.
>>
> 11. An en dashes into a barn.

12. A colon walks into a bar and evacuates.

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft,

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 22, 2011, 8:01:41 PM11/22/11
13. An exclamation point walks into a bar!

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 22, 2011, 8:32:00 PM11/22/11
14. An umlaut walks into a bär.

15. A hyphen walks in-to a bar.

Peter Brooks

Nov 22, 2011, 11:03:23 PM11/22/11
On Nov 23, 1:51 am, Iain Archer <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> MC wrote on Tue, 22 Nov 2011
>

> >In article <jahbk6$27...@speranza.aioe.org>,
> > pac...@kosh.dhis.org (Alan Curry) wrote:

> >> 9. A greengrocer walk's into a bar.
>
> >10. A spoonerism balks into a war.
>
> 11. An en dashes into a barn.

That's nice, but it looks as if it's dashing out, rather than into it.
An en would dash into a nbar, but we'd not know where it was.

R H Draney

Nov 23, 2011, 12:49:33 AM11/23/11
Reinhold {Rey} Aman filted:
16. Into a bar walks a chiasmus, and a chiasmus walks into a bar.

....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

MC

Nov 23, 2011, 1:41:19 AM11/23/11
In article <jai1h...@drn.newsguy.com>,
17. An alliteration ambles into an alehouse.

18. A paraprosdokian walks into a bar. Of soap.

19. A prozeugma walks into a bar, a fight, a fist, a wall and a
hospital.

20. A snowclone walks into the mother of all bars.

Mark Brader

Nov 23, 2011, 1:46:07 AM11/23/11

>>> 13. An exclamation point walks into a bar!

>> 14. An umlaut walks into a bär.

>> 15. A hyphen walks in-to a bar.

> 16. Into a bar walks a chiasmus, and a chiasmus walks into a bar.

17. A pair of parentheses walk (into a bar).

18. A Chinese ballet pun woks into a barre.

19. A lawyer walks into the bar and sues.

20. A syllepsis walks into a bar and a brick wall.
--
Mark Brader "One should never listen to oneself.
Toronto I mean, who are one to judge?"

Isabelle Cecchini

Nov 23, 2011, 2:18:56 AM11/23/11
21. A hypallage walks into a topless bar.

--
Isabelle Cecchini

James Hogg

Nov 23, 2011, 2:26:21 AM11/23/11
22. A line of Shakespeare's walk'd into an inn.

--
James

James Hogg

Nov 23, 2011, 4:04:07 AM11/23/11
(And the surly innkeeper said:
"A foutre for thee, whoreson that thou art,
And for the jade on which thou didst ride in.")

--
James

Sproz

Nov 23, 2011, 4:20:41 AM11/23/11
23: omg a TnAjrrr wks n2 a bar

Mark

Mike Page

Nov 23, 2011, 5:10:22 AM11/23/11
You're Bard.

Anton Shepelev

Nov 23, 2011, 5:35:00 AM11/23/11
> On Nov 23, 9:04 am, James Hogg <Jas.H...@gOUTmail.com> wrote:
> > James Hogg wrote:
> > > 22. A line of Shakespeare's walk'd into an inn.
> > (And the surly innkeeper said:
> > "A foutre for thee, whoreson that thou art,
> > And for the jade on which thou didst ride in.")
> 23: omg a TnAjrrr wks n2 a bar

24. The double negative didn't walk into no bar.

Anton

CT

Nov 23, 2011, 6:00:06 AM11/23/11
25. The reflexive pronoun walked into the bar itself.

--
Chris

Iain Archer

Nov 23, 2011, 6:20:34 AM11/23/11
CT wrote on Wed, 23 Nov 2011
26. The missing vinculum was last seen walking into a bar.

Anton Shepelev

Nov 23, 2011, 9:42:26 AM11/23/11
27. A reclusive verb walked into the bar and barred the door.

Jerry Friedman

Nov 23, 2011, 10:10:51 AM11/23/11
<applause for both>

--
Jerry Friedman

Jerry Friedman

Nov 23, 2011, 10:35:50 AM11/23/11
An anacoluthon walks into a bar, is how this joke starts.

An aposiopesis walks into a...

I'm not even going to tell you how a paraleipsis walks into a bar.

A surrealist walks into a bar papered with snowflakes and lightly
browned in snake oil.

A man de habla Spanglish camina into a cantina.

Un chevreau dans un Francais classe marche dans a une barre.

Miss Thistlebottom walks into a bar and asks whomever works there
quickly to serve her a mug of beer.

An eggcorn walks enter a bar.

A non-rhotic man walks into a bah.

Davy Crockett walks into a b'ar.

--
Jerry Friedman

CT

Nov 23, 2011, 10:41:58 AM11/23/11
A double-entendre walks into a bar and asks for a beer. So the barman
gives him one.

--
Chris

James Hogg

Nov 23, 2011, 10:45:08 AM11/23/11
Sometimes the man walks into the bar, and sometimes the bar walks into
the man, Dude.

--
James

semir...@my-deja.com

Nov 23, 2011, 11:06:13 AM11/23/11
On Nov 23, 3:45 pm, James Hogg wrote:
> Jerry Friedman wrote:
(An attempt to tidy up an excellent list)

MC

Nov 23, 2011, 11:18:12 AM11/23/11
In article
<3eaf2be6-cfd5-4ea2...@g7g2000vbd.googlegroups.com>,
A dangling participle walks into a bar, bartender says, "Why the long
face?"

James Hogg

Nov 23, 2011, 11:28:46 AM11/23/11
Walking into a bar, the man behind the bar was surprised to see a
dangling participle.

--
James

musika

Nov 23, 2011, 11:54:16 AM11/23/11
A non sequitur sees a group going into a bar but doesn't go in.
--
Ray
UK

MC

Nov 23, 2011, 11:54:37 AM11/23/11
In article <copespaz-1A62E0...@news.eternal-september.org>,
An ellipsis...bar.

musika

Nov 23, 2011, 11:56:25 AM11/23/11
A superlative goes into a bar none.
--
Ray
UK

MC

Nov 23, 2011, 11:57:24 AM11/23/11
In article <jaj706$bvv$1...@dont-email.me>,
A left-handed bastard walks into a bar sinister.

Robin Bignall

Nov 23, 2011, 12:07:22 PM11/23/11
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:28:46 +0100, James Hogg <Jas....@gOUTmail.com>
wrote:
Standing at the door of a bar, a full stop does nothing, even after a
period.
--
Robin Bignall
(BrE)

David Hatunen

Nov 23, 2011, 12:50:04 PM11/23/11
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:45:26 +1100, Peter Moylan wrote:

A termite walks into a bar and loudly asks, "Where's the bartender?"

--
Dave Hatunen, Tucson, Baja Arizona

grabber

Nov 23, 2011, 1:16:50 PM11/23/11

"Peter Moylan" wrote in message

> These have been attributed to Eric K. Auld. I don't know who he is.
>
> ------
> 1. A comma splice walks into a bar, it has a drink and then leaves.
>
> 2. A dangling modifier walks into a bar. After finishing a drink,
> the bartender asks it to leave.
>
> 3. A question mark walks into a bar?
>
> 4. Two quotation marks "walk into" a bar.
>
> 5. A gerund and an infinitive walk into a bar, planning to drink.

That's not a gerund.

Anton Shepelev

Nov 23, 2011, 1:34:53 PM11/23/11
> >> A dangling participle walks into a bar, bartender says, "Why the long
> >> face?"
> >
> > A non sequitur sees a group going into a bar but doesn't go in.
>
> A superlative goes into a bar none.

A paradox walked into a bar but didn't drink.

A antonym walked out of the bar and headed for the
theatre.

MC

Nov 23, 2011, 1:43:14 PM11/23/11
In article <20111123223453.d...@gmail.com>,
An anastrophe bar a into walks.

MC

Nov 23, 2011, 1:44:13 PM11/23/11
In article <20111123223453.d...@gmail.com>,
Anton Shepelev <anto...@gmail.com> wrote:

An epanalepsis walks into a bar, does an epanalepsis.

MC

Nov 23, 2011, 1:47:10 PM11/23/11
In article <20111123223453.d...@gmail.com>,
Anton Shepelev <anto...@gmail.com> wrote:

Essex man walks into a bar innit.

Jerry Friedman

Nov 23, 2011, 2:56:15 PM11/23/11
A poet walks into a bar.
"A metaphor, friends, is a star.
It always sounds neater
In anapest meter,
And the rhyme shouldn't mar it or jar."

--
Jerry Friedman

Joe Fineman

Nov 23, 2011, 3:09:04 PM11/23/11
MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> writes:

> 10. A spoonerism balks into a war.

After starring in the band for a while, he droops himself into a
stinker.
--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: Deliver me from every pride -- the Middle, High, and Low -- :||
||: That bars me from a brother's side, whatever pride he show. :||

Christian Weisgerber

Nov 23, 2011, 2:24:09 PM11/23/11

?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de

David Kaye

Nov 23, 2011, 3:35:33 PM11/23/11
"MC" <cope...@mapca.inter.net> wrote

> A left-handed bastard walks into a bar sinister.

An assibilation walkssss into a bar.

Peter Moylan

Nov 23, 2011, 3:46:46 PM11/23/11
Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> <semir...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>> 14. An umlaut walks into a bar.
>
> ?

The person who submitted this originally wrote bär, but somewhere along
the way someone's software "corrected" it.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

David Kaye

Nov 23, 2011, 3:49:39 PM11/23/11
"David Kaye" <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote

>> A left-handed bastard walks into a bar sinister.
>
> An assibilation walkssss into a bar.

A symantic walks into a bar, wondering what it means.

James Hogg

Nov 23, 2011, 4:23:07 PM11/23/11
MC wrote:
> An ellipsis...bar.

A scholar of Proto-Germanic roots *welk- into a bar.

--
James

James Hogg

Nov 23, 2011, 4:24:38 PM11/23/11
Jerry Friedman wrote:
> A poet walks into a bar.
> "A metaphor, friends, is a star.
> It always sounds neater
> In anapest meter,
> And the rhyme shouldn't mar it or jar."

On a much less poetic note:

0.98697 standard atmosphere walks into a bar.

--
James

Mike Lyle

Nov 23, 2011, 5:24:00 PM11/23/11
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 07:10:51 -0800 (PST), Jerry Friedman
<jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Nov 23, 3:10 am, Mike Page <mikeor...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> > (And the surly innkeeper said:
>> > "A foutre for thee, whoreson that thou art,
>> > And for the jade on which thou didst ride in.")
>>
>> You're Bard.
>
><applause for both>

? would heron stone walk into a bar

--
Mike.

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 23, 2011, 5:39:33 PM11/23/11
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 22:24:00 +0000, Mike Lyle <mike_l...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
An official government barometer walks into a bar, makes a measurement
and asks to see the manager. Manager arrives. Government barometer says
"Your bar is set too high".

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

musika

Nov 23, 2011, 5:42:09 PM11/23/11
.only if it was irony
--
Ray
UK

MC

Nov 23, 2011, 6:13:12 PM11/23/11
In article <0dtqc79rduhnl93lk...@4ax.com>,
Celine Dion walks into a bar.
Bartender says, "Why the long face?"

[Don't know why, but this one never fails to make me laugh.]

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 23, 2011, 6:40:37 PM11/23/11
Peter Moylan wrote:

> Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>
>> <semir...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>>> 14. An umlaut walks into a bar.
>>
>> ?
>>
> The person who submitted this originally wrote b�r, but somewhere
> along the way someone's software "corrected" it.

Right. I wrote "An umlaut walks into a b�r," but some googlegrouper
swallowed the < � >.

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft,
die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft.

Jerry Friedman

Nov 23, 2011, 6:53:30 PM11/23/11
Another poet walks into a bar and says, "May there be no moaning."

It's a cleft sentence that walks into a bar.

--
Jerry Friedman

R H Draney

Nov 23, 2011, 8:20:15 PM11/23/11
MC filted:
Mrs Malaprop tergiversates into a bar.

....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

semir...@my-deja.com

Nov 23, 2011, 9:25:01 PM11/23/11
(Another attempt to tidy up the list. Perhaps some kind soul might
consider rescuing the ones that got away)

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 24, 2011, 12:22:59 AM11/24/11
Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
[...]
All right, a few more:

A dyslexic walks into a rab.
A phonetician walks into a [ba:r].
A ROT13 user walks into a one.
A stutterer walks into a b-b-b-ba-ba-ba-bar.
A telegrapher walks into a -... .- .-. .
A German walks into an Alkoholausschankabendlokal.

James Hogg

Nov 24, 2011, 1:36:00 AM11/24/11
Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
> Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
> [...]
> All right, a few more:
>
> A dyslexic walks into a rab.
> A phonetician walks into a [ba:r].
> A ROT13 user walks into a one.
> A stutterer walks into a b-b-b-ba-ba-ba-bar.
> A telegrapher walks into a -... .- .-. .
> A German walks into an Alkoholausschankabendlokal.

Roget walks into a canteen, restaurant, rôtisserie, cafeteria,
grill-room, buffet, café, estaminet, posada, bodega, bar, saloon,
speakeasy, shebeen.

--
James

LFS

Nov 24, 2011, 1:42:10 AM11/24/11
<applause>

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

J. J. Lodder

Nov 24, 2011, 3:27:35 AM11/24/11
Et, and all his al., overran a bar,

Jan

R H Draney

Nov 24, 2011, 3:47:36 AM11/24/11
LFS filted:
Rod Speed claims to walk into a bar. Good luck trying to establish that.

Peter Brooks

Nov 24, 2011, 3:48:59 AM11/24/11
</applause>

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Nov 24, 2011, 4:36:39 AM11/24/11
On 2011-11-24 05:22:59 +0000, Reinhold {Rey} Aman said:

> Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
> [...]
> All right, a few more:
>
> A dyslexic walks into a rab.
> A phonetician walks into a [ba:r].
> A ROT13 user walks into a one.
> A stutterer walks into a b-b-b-ba-ba-ba-bar.
> A telegrapher walks into a -... .- .-. .
> A German walks into an Alkoholausschankabendlokal.

A Greek walks into an mpar.
--
athel

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Nov 24, 2011, 4:41:48 AM11/24/11
Should be "a" there, not "an"

An Afghan doesn't walk into a bar.

--
athel

James Hogg

Nov 24, 2011, 4:57:43 AM11/24/11
A ram-raider drives into a bar.

--
James

Leslie Danks

Nov 24, 2011, 5:33:44 AM11/24/11
Able was I ere I walked into el bar.

--
Les
(BrE)

Anton Shepelev

Nov 24, 2011, 6:02:54 AM11/24/11
semir...@my-deja.com:

> Another attempt to tidy up the list. Perhaps some
> kind soul might consider rescuing the ones that
> got away

I am keeping an off-line version of the thread and
will compile it into a text file when (if) its ac-
itvity abates somewhat.

Anton

musika

Nov 24, 2011, 6:33:21 AM11/24/11
A sheep walks into a ba-ba bar.

A Beachboy walks into a ba-ba-bar ba-ba-ba-ran.

A Beachboy ran into a ba-ba-ba ba-ba-ba.
--
Ray
UK

Percival P. Cassidy

Nov 24, 2011, 6:34:02 AM11/24/11
On 11/24/11 04:36 am, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

>> All right, a few more:
>>
>> A dyslexic walks into a rab.
>> A phonetician walks into a [ba:r].
>> A ROT13 user walks into a one.
>> A stutterer walks into a b-b-b-ba-ba-ba-bar.
>> A telegrapher walks into a -... .- .-. .
>> A German walks into an Alkoholausschankabendlokal.
>
> A Greek walks into an mpar.

A Welshman walks into a bar, isn't it?

Perce

semir...@my-deja.com

Nov 24, 2011, 6:38:24 AM11/24/11
On Nov 24, 11:02 am, Anton Shepelev wrote:
>semireti...@my-deja.com: wrote

>>Another  attempt to tidy up the list. Perhaps some
>>kind soul might consider rescuing  the  ones  that
>>got away

>I  am  keeping an off-line version of the thread and
>will compile it into a text file when (if)  its  actitvity
>abates somewhat. Anton

Great!

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 24, 2011, 6:54:26 AM11/24/11
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 15:40:37 -0800, Reinhold {Rey} Aman <am...@sonic.net>
wrote:

>Peter Moylan wrote:
>>
>> Christian Weisgerber wrote:

>>> ?
>>>
>> The person who submitted this originally wrote bär, but somewhere
>> along the way someone's software "corrected" it.
>>
>Right. I wrote "An umlaut walks into a bär," but some googlegrouper
>swallowed the < ¨ >.

Interesting. I understood the version "An umlaut walks into a bar" from
a different perspective. In the UK in printed works in English back in
the 1950s, and perhaps 1960s, a horizontal bar, a macron, was used as
the umlaut symbol. It was some years later that I started noticing the
double-dot symbol replacing the macron.

I don't know the reasons for that earlier convention. Three
possibilities come to mind:

1. A compositor might miss double-dots when reading rapidly handwritten
copy. A macron would be easier to write and easier to read.

2. The physical process of printing newspapers gave relatively low
quality visible results meaning that two small dots would not have been
reproduced reliably.

3. With moveable type the conventional use of a macron to represent an
umlaut would reduced the number of characters to be stored in the
magazine of a linotype machine or in the cases used when hand
typesetting.

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 24, 2011, 7:00:51 AM11/24/11
The Beach Boys walk into a bar and start singing. They are ejected and
barred for life after the first verse of their song:

A Bar bar bar bar Barbar Ann
Bar bar bar bar Barbar Ann
(Bar bar bar bar Barbar Ann)
Oh Barbara Ann take my hand
(Bar bar bar bar Barbar Ann)
Barbara Ann
(Bar bar bar bar Barbar Ann)
You got me rockin' and a rollin'
Rockin' and a reelin' Barbara Ann
Bar bar bar bar Barbar Ann

http://www.lyrics007.com/Beach%20Boys%20Lyrics/Barbara%20Ann%20Lyrics.html

Mike Lyle

Nov 24, 2011, 7:34:33 AM11/24/11
<jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Nov 23, 3:10 am, Mike Page <mikeor...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> > (And the surly innkeeper said:
>> > "A foutre for thee, whoreson that thou art,
>> > And for the jade on which thou didst ride in.")
>>
>> You're Bard.
>
><applause for both>

If a protasis walked into a bar, an apodosis would follow it.

--
Mike.

John Dunlop

Nov 24, 2011, 9:27:07 AM11/24/11
Jerry Friedman:

> It's a cleft sentence that walks into a bar.

A bar is what the pseudo-cleft walked into.

One does not simply walk into a bar.

A musician segues into a bar.

--
John

MC

Nov 24, 2011, 9:57:35 AM11/24/11
In article <jala3a$7ve$1...@dont-email.me>,
A Canadian walks into a bar, eh?

Anton Shepelev

Nov 24, 2011, 10:12:38 AM11/24/11
An indirect complement walks into the bar.

A transitive verb walks the bar.

An exclamation mark walks into the bar but gets so
drunk it melts into a question mark.
(idea not mine)

An old-fashioned programmer GOes TO the bar.

An assembly programmer uncoditionally JMPs into the
bar.

CT

Nov 24, 2011, 10:17:55 AM11/24/11
A 13 year-old Jewish boy walks into a bar mitzvah.

--
Chris

MC

Nov 24, 2011, 11:18:57 AM11/24/11
In article <9j75h3...@mid.individual.net>,
(applause)

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Nov 24, 2011, 11:27:56 AM11/24/11
Trying to think how a Pascal programmer might say it. Maybe something like

begin while thirstyProgrammer do begin enterBar; drinkBeer end end.

I can't do C, but it would certainly contain lots of lines like

int main{}
{

}

and by the end of trying to figure out what it meant any programmer
would need to walk into a bar.

--
athel

John Dunlop

Nov 24, 2011, 11:29:42 AM11/24/11
David Kaye:

> A symantic walks into a bar, wondering what it means.

A periphrasis will walk into a bar.

They walk into a bar, the right dislocation and the cataphora.

The left dislocation and the anaphora, they walk into a bar too.

--
John

John Dunlop

Nov 24, 2011, 11:30:05 AM11/24/11
CT:

> [MC:]
>
>> [Percival P. Cassidy:]
>>
>>> A Welshman walks into a bar, isn't it?
>>
>> A Canadian walks into a bar, eh?
>
> A 13 year-old Jewish boy walks into a bar mitzvah.

A Scotsman walks into a bar, so he does.

--
John

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Nov 24, 2011, 11:35:46 AM11/24/11
On 2011-11-23 20:56:15 +0100, Jerry Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> said:

[ ... ]

> A poet walks into a bar.
> "A metaphor, friends, is a star.
> It always sounds neater
> In anapest meter,

"meter", OK, but is that how you spell "anapaest" across the water? It
looks very odd. How do you pronounce it: to rhyme with "pest" or with
"beast"?

> And the rhyme shouldn't mar it or jar."

--
athel

CT

Nov 24, 2011, 11:37:35 AM11/24/11
Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> I can't do C, but it would certainly contain lots of lines like
>
> int main{}
> {
>
> }

Something like:

int main(int, char**)
{
int man = 0;

bar(man);

return 0;
}

void bar(int)
{
}

--
Chris

CT

Nov 24, 2011, 11:45:21 AM11/24/11
Or C++:

class Man
{
public:

Man()
{
}

int Walks()
{
return 0;
}
}

int main(int, char**)
{
Man* man = new Man();

man.Walks();

bar(man.Walks());

delete man;

John Dunlop

Nov 24, 2011, 11:51:33 AM11/24/11
John Dunlop:

> A Scotsman walks into a bar, so he does.

A Scotsman walks out of a bar.

--
John

James Hogg

Nov 24, 2011, 11:51:21 AM11/24/11
Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2011-11-23 20:56:15 +0100, Jerry Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com>
> said:
>
> [ ... ]
>

>> A poet walks into a bar.
>> "A metaphor, friends, is a star.
>> It always sounds neater
>> In anapest meter,
>
> "meter", OK, but is that how you spell "anapaest" across the water? It
> looks very odd. How do you pronounce it: to rhyme with "pest" or with
> "beast"?

Just think of "anapest control" and you'll have it.

Daniel Jones gives that as an alternative British pronunciation too, and
it comes first in the OED.

--
James

Sproz

Nov 24, 2011, 12:53:18 PM11/24/11
A programmer walks into foo bar.

Mark

MC

Nov 24, 2011, 1:05:26 PM11/24/11
In article <pan.2011.11.24....@ymail.com>,
A lawyer is thrown out of... Er, is disbarred.

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 24, 2011, 1:05:39 PM11/24/11
Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote (corrected):

> A Greek walks into a mpar.

Great minds run in small circles!
I had this one also on my list but forgot to post it.
mpummer! ntamn!

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~

Robin Bignall

Nov 24, 2011, 1:39:22 PM11/24/11
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 22:23:07 +0100, James Hogg <Jas....@gOUTmail.com>
wrote:

>MC wrote:
>> An ellipsis...bar.
>
>A scholar of Proto-Germanic roots *welk- into a bar.

A minuscule walked into a bar and nobody noticed.
--
Robin Bignall
(BrE)

R H Draney

Nov 24, 2011, 1:58:52 PM11/24/11
Sproz filted:

>On Nov 24, 4:45=A0pm, "CT" <m...@christrollen.co.uk> wrote:
>> CT wrote:

>> > Something like:
>>
>> > int main(int, char**)
>> > {
>> > =A0 int man =3D 0;
>>
>> > =A0 bar(man);
>>
>> > =A0 return 0;
>> > }
>>
>> > void bar(int)
>> > {
>> > }
>>
>> Or C++:
>>
>> class Man
>> {
>> =A0 public:
>>
>> =A0 Man()
>> =A0 {
>> =A0 }
>>
>> =A0 int Walks()
>> =A0 {
>> =A0 =A0 return 0;
>> =A0 }
>>
>> }
>>
>> int main(int, char**)
>> {
>> =A0 Man* man =3D new Man();
>>
>> =A0 man.Walks();
>>
>> =A0 bar(man.Walks());
>>
>> =A0 delete man;
>>
>> =A0 return 0;
>>
>> }
>>
>> void bar(int)
>> {
>>
>> }
>
>A programmer walks into foo bar.

An OOP developer defines a Bar class with a WalksInto method and everything else
just sort of happens by itself.

....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Isabelle Cecchini

Nov 24, 2011, 2:44:26 PM11/24/11
Le 23/11/2011 19:47, MC a écrit :

>>> A superlative goes into a bar none.
>>
>> A paradox walked into a bar but didn't drink.
>>
>> A antonym walked out of the bar and headed for the
>> theatre.
>
> Essex man walks into a bar innit.

A Cockney walks into a Jack.

--
Isabelle Cecchini

Mike Lyle

Nov 24, 2011, 2:52:15 PM11/24/11
Gosh! You're right: it _is_ almost panto season.

--
Mike.

Isabelle Cecchini

Nov 24, 2011, 2:53:36 PM11/24/11
The Cockney walks into a Jack because it's 'appy Hhhour.

--
Isabelle Cecchini

Anton Shepelev

Nov 24, 2011, 3:02:35 PM11/24/11
Athel Cornish-Bowden:

> I can't do C, but it would certainly contain lots
> of lines like
>
> int main{}
> {
>
> }
>
> and by the end of trying to figure out what it
> meant any programmer would need to walk into a
> bar.

Yes, indeed. C is full of mysterious {'s, <'s, *'s,
@'s and %'s. It is the most popular language at
code obfuscation contests, like this:

http://www.textfiles.com/humor/COMPUTER/1984.c

the reading whereof gave me quite a few good laughs,
although I failed to undestand even a single pro-
gram. As the famous "History" says,

1972: Dennis Ritchie invents a powerful gun that
shoots both forward and backward simultane-
ously. Not satisfied with the number of
deaths and permanent maimings from that in-
vention he invents C...

Anton

Aatu Koskensilta

Nov 24, 2011, 3:18:37 PM11/24/11

Mysterious @'s? You must be thinking of Objective-C, surely.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.kos...@uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen."

Sproz

Nov 24, 2011, 3:35:27 PM11/24/11
foo = new bar();
foo.walksInto(new oopProgrammer);

Mark

Robert Bannister

Nov 24, 2011, 5:50:07 PM11/24/11
On 24/11/11 6:33 PM, Leslie Danks wrote:
> James Hogg wrote:
>
>> Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>>> On 2011-11-24 09:36:39 +0000, Athel Cornish-Bowden said:
>>>
>>> On 2011-11-24 05:22:59 +0000, Reinhold {Rey} Aman said:
>>>
>>> Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> All right, a few more:
>>>
>>> A dyslexic walks into a rab.
>>> A phonetician walks into a [ba:r].
>>> A ROT13 user walks into a one.
>>> A stutterer walks into a b-b-b-ba-ba-ba-bar.
>>> A telegrapher walks into a -... .- .-. .
>>> A German walks into an Alkoholausschankabendlokal.
>>>
>>> A Greek walks into an mpar.
>>>
>>> Should be "a" there, not "an"
>>>
>>> An Afghan doesn't walk into a bar.
>>
>> A ram-raider drives into a bar.
>
> Able was I ere I walked into el bar.

<oh, very good>

--
Robert Bannister

tony cooper

Nov 24, 2011, 7:58:19 PM11/24/11
A paragraph walks into a bar and are told they look like a paradigm.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 25, 2011, 2:47:24 AM11/25/11
Peter Duncanson (BrE) wrote:

> Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
[...]
>> Right. I wrote "An umlaut walks into a bär," but some google-
>> grouper swallowed the < ¨ >.
>
> Interesting. I understood the version "An umlaut walks into a bar"
> from a different perspective. In the UK in printed works in English
> back in the 1950s, and perhaps 1960s, a horizontal bar, a macron,
> was used as the umlaut symbol. It was some years later that I
> started noticing the double-dot symbol replacing the macron.
>
> I don't know the reasons for that earlier convention. Three
> possibilities come to mind:
>
> 1. A compositor might miss double-dots when reading rapidly hand-
> written copy. A macron would be easier to write and easier to read.
>
> 2. The physical process of printing newspapers gave relatively low
> quality visible results meaning that two small dots would not have
> been reproduced reliably.
>
> 3. With moveable type the conventional use of a macron to represent
> an umlaut would reduced the number of characters to be stored in
> the magazine of a linotype machine or in the cases used when hand
> typesetting.

Your three reasons for using a macron instead of two dots may very well
be correct.

As to *handwritten* umlauts (ä, Ä, ö, Ö, ü, Ü): I have received many
handwritten letters in German and other languages from Germans, Finns,
Turks, and Hungarians whose languages use many umlauts.

I have never seen a macron used for ¨ by Turks and Hungarians, but
occasionally by Germans and often by Finns. I guess (many?) Finns write
macrons instead of dots because their language is just teeming with
umlauts and thus they can speed up their writing. When writing _Hyvää
päivää_ (Good day) and _sisäänkäytävä_ (entrance), they can reduce the
20 dots to 10 macrons.

I suppose Hungarians don't use macrons, to avoid confusing their <ö> and
<o´´> and <ü> and <u´´> (´´ are double acute accents over the vowels).
It is loading more messages.