Am I missing something?

Mike Hunter

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
Is there some big reason why everyone is not posting? Some sort of geek
convention that I didn't hear about? Well, that doesn't make sense, b/c
a geek convention would surely be wired....

Anyway, uh...not much new here. Worried sick about my math test tomorrow...
to worried to study :) heh. I lead a pretty charmed life as far as tests
goes, so maybe I'll start "getting it" when I walk in and start taking
it. I also think that the other ppl in the class aren't gonna do any better,
and maybe that will help me out. Or not.

There are rumblings here at UIUC about the graduate students trying to
unionize, and the university's legal battle against it. If the students
win, what do you all think I should consider when I decide to either support
this union or not? Supposedly they are calling for a strike day for TA's
in protest of the university's attempts to not allow a unionization vote...
not sure how I feel about that.

Mike

--
"I'm not sittin' by no computer
I'm going to Bermuda."

--Kool Keith

Chase Watkins

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
Mike Hunter wrote:

> Mark Adelsberger <m...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:

> > Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> wrote:
> >> There are rumblings here at UIUC about the graduate students trying to
> >> unionize, and the university's legal battle against it. If the students
>
> > Ok... now if people want to bargain as a unit instead of
> > individually, I don't have a problem with that (although I
> > think the way it's been done is poor, that a union needing
> > to lean on the gov't as a crutch shows that the union does
> > not represent the labor pool, and that unions have often
> > had some pretty evil tactics)... but all that aside, what
> > the HELL do grad students need a union for?
>
> It'd be for Teaching Assistants and Research Assistants. We do a lot
> of the work around this joint, and I believe that, as employees of the
> university, we have a *right* to organize just as much as anyone else
> does...I'm just not so sure that we'd get anything good out of it.
>
> On a selfish note, I have a feeling this would help the History majors and
> all the other underpaid humanities fucks rather than the somewhat-more-highly
> paid CSes and other technical people. And I think it's ok that we get
> paid more, because we're worth more. History majors are a dime a dozzen.
>
> Mike

Why do the grad students want to unionize? Other than the money, of
course.

Mark Adelsberger

Sep 21, 2000, 8:15:34 PM9/21/00

Mike Hunter

Sep 21, 2000, 8:39:44 PM9/21/00

It'd be for Teaching Assistants and Research Assistants. We do a lot

John J. Adelsberger III

Sep 21, 2000, 8:42:17 PM9/21/00
Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> wrote:

> Is there some big reason why everyone is not posting? Some sort of geek
> convention that I didn't hear about? Well, that doesn't make sense, b/c
> a geek convention would surely be wired....

www.kuro5hin.org -- they posted my story and created a new section partly
as a result:) (Off their front page, left top corner, Meta section.)

Well, that and I spent half the day handling car repair issues.

> There are rumblings here at UIUC about the graduate students trying to
> unionize, and the university's legal battle against it.

Why would graduate students unionize? Granted they teach, but aren't they
more customerish than employeeish?

--
John J. Adelsberger III ETAONRISHDLFCMUGPYWBVKXJQZ
j...@lusars.net

Andrew LeCren

Sep 21, 2000, 9:39:37 PM9/21/00
John J. Adelsberger III <j...@wallace.lusars.net> spewed forth:

> www.kuro5hin.org -- they posted my story and created a new section partly
> as a result:) (Off their front page, left top corner, Meta section.)

Huh? Where? What was it about?

--
Starfox - starfox (at) lusars dot net
"So you call this your free country,

Mike Hunter

Sep 21, 2000, 10:04:57 PM9/21/00
Andrew LeCren <sta...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
> John J. Adelsberger III <j...@wallace.lusars.net> spewed forth:
>> www.kuro5hin.org -- they posted my story and created a new section partly
>> as a result:) (Off their front page, left top corner, Meta section.)

> Huh? Where? What was it about?

I think he was just talking bullshit. If not, I'd be interested in a URL.
(This is the modern world, you don't have to tell us what to click, just
give us the d@mn url...)

Chad Slaughter

Sep 21, 2000, 10:13:38 PM9/21/00

he gave you the hostname you fuckin' morAn. if you're too dumb to figure out
the protocol and path, you don't deserve to be a comp sci. =)

--
Chad Slaughter
slaught at lusars dot net

Andrew LeCren

Sep 21, 2000, 10:20:49 PM9/21/00
Chad Slaughter <sla...@nospam.lusars.dot.net> spewed forth:

Yes, but that still doesn't indicate which story is his.

Although by looking at all of them, and reading the user info, I can
safely assume that this is the article he is referring to:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory&sid=2000/9/20/202815/243

(Happy Mike? You lazy s.o.b.)

John J. Adelsberger III

Sep 21, 2000, 10:38:13 PM9/21/00
Andrew LeCren <sta...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
> John J. Adelsberger III <j...@wallace.lusars.net> spewed forth:
>> www.kuro5hin.org -- they posted my story and created a new section partly
>> as a result:) (Off their front page, left top corner, Meta section.)

> Huh? Where? What was it about?

It was the only story in the Meta section as of an hour ago, and there were
none in the submission queue for Meta, so I'm guessing it is still the only
one. My name there is a bit different, but certain Jester-haters will
figure it out when/if they see the story.

Mike Hunter

Sep 21, 2000, 10:39:47 PM9/21/00
Andrew LeCren <sta...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
> Chad Slaughter <sla...@nospam.lusars.dot.net> spewed forth:
>> Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> wrote:

>>> I think he was just talking bullshit. If not, I'd be interested in a URL.
>>> (This is the modern world, you don't have to tell us what to click, just
>>> give us the d@mn url...)

>> he gave you the hostname you fuckin' morAn. if you're too dumb to figure out
>> the protocol and path, you don't deserve to be a comp sci. =)

> Yes, but that still doesn't indicate which story is his.

> Although by looking at all of them, and reading the user info, I can
> safely assume that this is the article he is referring to:

> http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory&sid=2000/9/20/202815/243

How the fuck was I supposed to know his username is trhurler?

BTW, that is fucking unpronouncable and therefore lame.

When looking for the article, I did a search for "gun" and "inane" and it
didn't turn up anything, so I gave up.

Mike

John J. Adelsberger III

Sep 21, 2000, 10:40:36 PM9/21/00
Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> wrote:

> I think he was just talking bullshit. If not, I'd be interested in a URL.
> (This is the modern world, you don't have to tell us what to click, just
> give us the d@mn url...)

Unfortunately, I have no web browser except lynx at home, and reading k5 with
lynx is a losing endeavor. However, look for the story in Meta; the title is
something like "Being more positively negative."

Not only did they vote it up, but it got there in less than 3 1/2 hours, and
there was about a 5/1 ratio in favor vs against. I think what did that was
when Rusty posted his comment entitled "You said it."

Chad Slaughter

Sep 21, 2000, 10:43:32 PM9/21/00
John J. Adelsberger III <j...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
> Andrew LeCren <sta...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
>> John J. Adelsberger III <j...@wallace.lusars.net> spewed forth:
>>> www.kuro5hin.org -- they posted my story and created a new section partly
>>> as a result:) (Off their front page, left top corner, Meta section.)

>> Huh? Where? What was it about?

> It was the only story in the Meta section as of an hour ago, and there were
> none in the submission queue for Meta, so I'm guessing it is still the only
> one. My name there is a bit different, but certain Jester-haters will

actually as an hour ago there were two. But either way

John J. Adelsberger III

Sep 21, 2000, 10:43:35 PM9/21/00
Andrew LeCren <sta...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:

> Although by looking at all of them, and reading the user info, I can
> safely assume that this is the article he is referring to:

> http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory&sid=2000/9/20/202815/243

That's it. Apparently they HAVE moved more old stories into meta now; sorry
about that guys. Geh. Damned lynx sucks for browsing k5:)

Mike Hunter

Sep 21, 2000, 10:43:43 PM9/21/00
John J. Adelsberger III <j...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
> Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> wrote:

>> I think he was just talking bullshit. If not, I'd be interested in a URL.
>> (This is the modern world, you don't have to tell us what to click, just
>> give us the d@mn url...)

> Unfortunately, I have no web browser except lynx at home, and reading k5 with
> lynx is a losing endeavor. However, look for the story in Meta; the title is
> something like "Being more positively negative."

> Not only did they vote it up, but it got there in less than 3 1/2 hours, and
> there was about a 5/1 ratio in favor vs against. I think what did that was
> when Rusty posted his comment entitled "You said it."

You're acting like it's some really big deal...this is k5, not slashdot.

heh :)

Mike

John J. Adelsberger III

Sep 21, 2000, 10:46:04 PM9/21/00
Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> wrote:

> How the fuck was I supposed to know his username is trhurler?
> BTW, that is fucking unpronouncable and therefore lame.

Pronounce it T R hurler. Spell it, if you want to know where it came from,
as tr hurler. Hordes of pissed off 0xD5 xpilot fans can probably tell you
why.

> When looking for the article, I did a search for "gun" and "inane" and it
> didn't turn up anything, so I gave up.

You forgot to look for "patently," "absurd," and "mhunter is my bitch."

John J. Adelsberger III

Sep 21, 2000, 10:46:45 PM9/21/00
Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> wrote:

> You're acting like it's some really big deal...this is k5, not slashdot.

Precisely. I won't even READ slashdot. I get my fill of lameness reading
your ausb posts.

Chad Slaughter

Sep 21, 2000, 11:02:18 PM9/21/00
John J. Adelsberger III <j...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
> Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> wrote:

>> You're acting like it's some really big deal...this is k5, not slashdot.

> Precisely. I won't even READ slashdot. I get my fill of lameness reading
> your ausb posts.

you read posts in ausb? what! I thought we were just suppose to do text
searchs and respond based on /dev/random

Andrew LeCren

Sep 21, 2000, 11:04:49 PM9/21/00
Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> spewed forth:

> How the fuck was I supposed to know his username is trhurler?

Well, keerist. There were three stories there, one of them was his.
Look at the user info, who else is going to have "OpenBSD", "liberty",
and "Guinness" in their profile? :)

Andrew LeCren

Sep 21, 2000, 11:05:58 PM9/21/00
John J. Adelsberger III <j...@wallace.lusars.net> spewed forth:
> Pronounce it T R hurler. Spell it, if you want to know where it came from,
> as tr hurler. Hordes of pissed off 0xD5 xpilot fans can probably tell you
> why.

Grrr. Now I remember.

You bastard.

Andrew LeCren

Sep 21, 2000, 11:08:08 PM9/21/00
Chad Slaughter <sla...@nospam.lusars.dot.net> spewed forth:
> you read posts in ausb? what! I thought we were just suppose to do text
> searchs and respond based on /dev/random

Dork.

Steven McColl

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> wrote:
: There are rumblings here at UIUC about the graduate students trying to
: unionize, and the university's legal battle against it. If the students

: win, what do you all think I should consider when I decide to either support
: this union or not? Supposedly they are calling for a strike day for TA's

Uhhh... Yeah... Unions were founded in the first place to fight bad working
conditions, no health care, and poor pay. The average grad student TA probably
has an office that he <she> keeps dark and poorly decorated. That is their
choice. Most are still covered by "Mommy's" insurance so this is not an issue.
TAs usually have thier schooling paid for ($20+k/year) for MAYBE 10 hours a
week of labor. Maybe I'm way out of line here, but I don't see what there is to
bitch about.

Steve

Chad Slaughter

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Steven McColl <smc...@umr.edu> wrote:

78 col

> Uhhh... Yeah... Unions were founded in the first place to fight bad working
> conditions, no health care, and poor pay. The average grad student TA probably

i guess the key word there is probably. But then again they do have an
office they probalby share with 3 or more other people.

> has an office that he <she> keeps dark and poorly decorated. That is their

dark and poorly decorated office is a bad working env? counldnt

> choice. Most are still covered by "Mommy's" insurance so this is not an issue.

most aren't. Most insurance companies stop paying for kids at 21,23 or
when the first bachlor's degree is made. This is not to say there isnt
a company who pays longer but my step dad, who sold insurance for 40 yrs,
didnt know of one. So a grad student probably isnt covered.

> TAs usually have thier schooling paid for ($20+k/year) for MAYBE 10 hours a

maybe 10 hours? yeah right. That's funny. and what does the number of
hours worked have to do with the right to unionize? oh nothing.

> week of labor. Maybe I'm way out of line here, but I don't see what there is to
> bitch about.

maybe you're way out of line.

Chad "shiny colours"

Mike Hunter

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Chase Watkins <cwat...@umr.edu> wrote:

> Why do the grad students want to unionize? Other than the money, of
> course.

Good question.

Mike

Mike Hunter

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Andrew LeCren <sta...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
> Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> spewed forth:
>> How the fuck was I supposed to know his username is trhurler?

> Well, keerist. There were three stories there, one of them was his.
> Look at the user info, who else is going to have "OpenBSD", "liberty",
> and "Guinness" in their profile? :)

Ok K5, those geeky traits aren't too uncommon :)

Mike

Mark Adelsberger

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Steven McColl <smc...@umr.edu> wrote:
> choice. Most are still covered by "Mommy's" insurance so this is not an issue.

Actually grad students typically are no longer covered by their
parents insurance policies. However, universities typically
know this and do provide insurance for grad students. I don't
know what these plans are typically like, but anyway...

But that said... while I can't argue against grads having the
right to unionize, I do agree with you in that anyone who wants
to claim grad students have tough working conditions (as
measured on the same scale as the conditions that brought unions
into existance) can suck Mike's weasel with teeth. Which brings
me back to my original question of why they need, or even want,
a union.

Of course, for context, it probably helps to understand that
I don't think students who strike or whatever as part of a union
action should be immune from disciplinary action such as firing.
As far as I'm concerned, unions should be based on the premise
that labor can bargain better as a unit, not the premise that
if we tie the employer's hand and give the employees a big enough
stick then they can get what they wan^H^H^H"need".

Chase Watkins

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Mike Hunter wrote:

> Chase Watkins <cwat...@umr.edu> wrote:
> > Why do the grad students want to unionize? Other than the money, of
> > course.
>
> Good question.
>
> Mike

I saw an interesting statistic last year when I was working at Hobby
Lobby during the summer when a union was trying to get established
there. The union bragged about getting higher wages every time that
they negotiated a contract for the first time with that company. When
you prod further, you realize that they never brag about the 2nd time or
the 3rd time and for good reason. Sometimes the company wins and forces
the union to accept a lower wage and less benefits than before the union
came. This is one reason why I scoff at their attempts to convince me
that they're there for the workers and to represent the workers and to
get the best deal they can. I have a belief that the organizers are
there only to get extra money for doing practically nothing (other than
grandstanding, of course).

Of course, this is just my opinion but I can be convinced that there is
a need for a union if I see the right working conditions...

Chase

Doc

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Chase Watkins <cwat...@umr.edu> wrote:
> Mike Hunter wrote:
>>
>> Chase Watkins <cwat...@umr.edu> wrote:
>> > Why do the grad students want to unionize? Other than the money, of
>> > course.
>>
>> Good question.
>>
>> Mike

> I saw an interesting statistic last year when I was working at Hobby
> Lobby during the summer when a union was trying to get established
> there. The union bragged about getting higher wages every time that
> they negotiated a contract for the first time with that company. When
> you prod further, you realize that they never brag about the 2nd time or
> the 3rd time and for good reason.

They also never brag about what remains of this higher salary after
"union dues" are taken out, I've noticed. My sister worked in a grocery
store that got unionized while she was in high school. Her salary went up
by $1.05/hour, and all was well until she found out that it worked out to
about $0.05/hour more after union dues and all the other crud got taken
out, she now had to attend union meetings that she didn't get paid
for, and management felt (probably justifiably) that the employees
had stabbed them in the back, which didn't exactly improve working
conditions.

(On the other hand, it's been a long, long time since I last spoke
to anyone in a "no-skill/low-wage" union job about money, so it's
entirely possible that unions may have changed their ways.)

Doc

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Mark Adelsberger <m...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
> Of course, for context, it probably helps to understand that
> I don't think students who strike or whatever as part of a union
> action should be immune from disciplinary action such as firing.
> As far as I'm concerned, unions should be based on the premise
> that labor can bargain better as a unit, not the premise that
> if we tie the employer's hand and give the employees a big enough
> stick then they can get what they wan^H^H^H"need".

From my (somewhat limited) experience with George Mason University:
Grad students sign contracts for specific pay over a specific
period of time, rather than a specific amount per hour (even though
that specific pay is tied to the nominal number of hours worked in a
given week). Grad students don't get overtime, grad students don't
clock in/out, and grad students already have a college degree (and are
employed due to their having said degree).

Which makes them either "exempt" or "contractual" employees. Or,
in union-speak, "management". Which means they don't unionize,
they form "professional associations" (like doctors or lawyers).

Personal opinion: I fully support their right to unionize, (and this
is the important part) so long as the university in question does not
become a union shop.

Never mind the fact that them doing so is utterly nonsensical at best...
if they want to form a club that charges dues, and call it a union,
by all means, let them do so. (Most schools have a branch of student
government already focused on graduate student concerns; this may
be a better forum to present their concerns to the school.)

John J. Adelsberger III

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Doc <d...@no.spam.for.me> wrote:

> (On the other hand, it's been a long, long time since I last spoke
> to anyone in a "no-skill/low-wage" union job about money, so it's
> entirely possible that unions may have changed their ways.)

Unions that brag about wages these days are lying. The valid reasons
I'm aware of for a union are these:

1) benefits. This is less of a problem in today's economy, but when times
are a bit leaner, many people who -ought- to have benefits do not.

2) idiotic management. This is a problem MANY places. The bottling plant
I worked in had some excellent shift managers, but the people higher
up were total boneheads. They'd order employees to work an extra four
hours with no warning, and try not to even pay overtime for it. They'd
go around contradicting the instructions of the shift managers, which
of course put employees in an impossible position, not to mention caused
things to run very poorly on account of them having NO clue how to do
most of the jobs we did. These people -need- their union.

If it isn't one of those two things, then a union is NOT a good idea.
Even if those things are issues, a union only -might- be a good idea.

Andrew LeCren

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Doc <d...@no.spam.for.me> spewed forth:

> Never mind the fact that them doing so is utterly nonsensical at best...
> if they want to form a club that charges dues, and call it a union,
> by all means, let them do so. (Most schools have a branch of student
> government already focused on graduate student concerns; this may
> be a better forum to present their concerns to the school.)

Yah, and the Graduate Council did sooo much at UMR. :)

Mike Hunter

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> wrote:
> Andrew LeCren <sta...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
>> Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> spewed forth:
>>> How the fuck was I supposed to know his username is trhurler?

>> Well, keerist. There were three stories there, one of them was his.
>> Look at the user info, who else is going to have "OpenBSD", "liberty",
>> and "Guinness" in their profile? :)

> Ok K5, those geeky traits aren't too uncommon :)
On K5, .....sorry

Steven McColl

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Chad Slaughter <sla...@nospam.lusars.dot.net> wrote:
: i guess the key word there is probably. But then again they do have an
: office they probalby share with 3 or more other people.

<PERSONAL RANT>
Most of us would kill to share an office with friends rather than be forced
to listen to the mindless drivel of our cow-orkers in a cube-cluster.
</PERSONAL RANT>

:
: maybe 10 hours? yeah right. That's funny. and what does the number of

: hours worked have to do with the right to unionize? oh nothing.

:

I guess my memories are tainted. I was a chem major for a while and
we were lucky to have the TAs show up to lecture or lab, let alone be in
their offices (even during 'office hours'). What were they doing? Who the
hell knows. Probably distilling alcohol or something...

Steve

Willie Beegle

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Steven McColl <smc...@umr.edu> wrote:
> TAs usually have thier schooling paid for ($20+k/year) for MAYBE 10 hours a
> week of labor.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but at the University of Pittsburgh
and Carnegie Mellon University, the basic deal is usually "work an official
20 hours/week for about a grand a month plus tuition". The reality
is that any TA who doesn't totally suck ends up putting in more time
than that, while being strongarmed to lie about total hours whenever asked.

Lying about hours worked is bad. Being coerced to do so is worse.
However, a grad student gets about $30,000 worth of benefits for
8 months of half- to 3/4- time employment, which is not a terribly
bad deal.

-willie

--
nob...@psc.edu goes straight to /dev/null without passing go.
Reply to my last name at lusars.net

Willie Beegle

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Mike Hunter <mShPu...@lusars.net> wrote:
> You're acting like it's some really big deal...this is k5, not slashdot.

It's always a thrill to see your work in a moderated forum, particularly
when you respect the moderators. It's an affirmation that you're not
completely crack-addled. Or, at least, that there are others smoking
the same shit.

I seem to do well with web forums because they mask the biggest problem
with my writing: I can't come up with good conclusions. I can explain
an issue and suggest solutions, but the snappy closure has always
been beyond me. The implied "discuss among yourselves" often saves
me the trouble online, but I always have to whine at an editor for
print stuff. Maybe I could just return to the high school way and
close with a lame quote.

"If a camel flies, no one laughs if it doesn't get very far."
-- Paul White

Laura Tweedy

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Thus spoke Mike Hunter:
: Is there some big reason why everyone is not posting? Some sort of geek
: convention that I didn't hear about? Well, that doesn't make sense, b/c
: a geek convention would surely be wired....

:) no, they were just catching their breath from the last batch of
bru-ha-ha to launch into the union tirades you see above. :)

I have an unrelated nerd question:

Does anyone more schooled in linkers know what this means?

ld: fatal: too many symbols require `small' PIC references:
have 2890, maximum 2048 -- recompile some modules -K PIC.
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I would try what it suggests (-K PIC) but that's not a linker or
compiler option. I have tried -fPIC in a vain effort to get it to
link. This is Apache Xalan code that is not supported on Solaris
(where I'm interested in having the library). If it doesn't work, oh
well, I wait for them to port it. But, I thought I'd ask here
anyway. :)

laura
--
"To lose 'em, you've gotta zig and then zag.
Don't forget to zag, because if you zig twice, you're fucked." --John Lehman

John J. Adelsberger III

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Steven McColl <smc...@umr.edu> wrote:

> <PERSONAL RANT>
> Most of us would kill to share an office with friends rather than be forced
> to listen to the mindless drivel of our cow-orkers in a cube-cluster.
> </PERSONAL RANT>

<PERSONAL LAUGHTER>
Maybe if most of us had gotten real jobs instead of pimping ourselves out
doing sleazy Java conslutting crap just so we could have nicer cars, most
of us would get to live like some of us, who have offices big enough to
keep an extra desk in, with real doors even.
</PERSONAL LAUGHTER>

Chad Slaughter

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
John J. Adelsberger III <j...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:

The part I find amusing is the high brow meta discussion of blue collar
work conditions and pay by white collar[1] workers.

[1] of course, this does NOT include me as my collar is green

Chad Slaughter

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Steven McColl <smc...@umr.edu> wrote:
> Chad Slaughter <sla...@nospam.lusars.dot.net> wrote:
> : i guess the key word there is probably. But then again they do have an
> : office they probalby share with 3 or more other people.

> <PERSONAL RANT>

> Most of us would kill to share an office with friends rather than be forced
> to listen to the mindless drivel of our cow-orkers in a cube-cluster.
> </PERSONAL RANT>

yeah, yeah. tell me about it. we should unionize! Revolt! Over thrown
the cube lords and furniture police!

> : maybe 10 hours? yeah right. That's funny. and what does the number of
> : hours worked have to do with the right to unionize? oh nothing.
> :

> I guess my memories are tainted. I was a chem major for a while and
> we were lucky to have the TAs show up to lecture or lab, let alone be in
> their offices (even during 'office hours'). What were they doing? Who the
> hell knows. Probably distilling alcohol or something...

maybe the were on strike! =)

Chad Slaughter

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
John J. Adelsberger III <j...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
> <PERSONAL LAUGHTER>
> Maybe if most of us had gotten real jobs instead of pimping ourselves out
> doing sleazy Java conslutting crap just so we could have nicer cars, most

hmmm...pimp my self out for more money, more free time, more arrogence
and have to work in a cube? OR get a shitty job, with bad hours, bad
pay and live in an office? Thats a tough one.

I think I'll get take the cube and go buy my own office. =)

Chad Slaughter

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Laura Tweedy <twe...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
> Does anyone more schooled in linkers know what this means?

yes

> ld: fatal: too many symbols require `small' PIC references:
> have 2890, maximum 2048 -- recompile some modules -K PIC.
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

HAHA!
PIC == position independent code. The size of the slot for the back
patch is too small, use larger value. =)

> I would try what it suggests (-K PIC) but that's not a linker or

-K PIC i think is a sun compiler option. GCC has an associated option.

> compiler option. I have tried -fPIC in a vain effort to get it to

didnt that work?

> link. This is Apache Xalan code that is not supported on Solaris

not supported on solaris? maybe that the problem.

> (where I'm interested in having the library). If it doesn't work, oh
> well, I wait for them to port it. But, I thought I'd ask here
> anyway. :)

give me a solaris box with a compiler and I get it to work. =)

TREVOR SCHROCK

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Chad Slaughter <sla...@nospam.lusars.dot.net> wrote:

Hmm. I make plenty of money, have most weekends and evnings free, am as
arrogant as ever, and lo! an office of my own.

trev

--
sch...@umr.edu

John J. Adelsberger III

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Chad Slaughter <sla...@nospam.lusars.dot.net> wrote:

> The part I find amusing is the high brow meta discussion of blue collar
> work conditions and pay by white collar[1] workers.

Seeing as I did the work, I think I can talk about what went on.

John J. Adelsberger III

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Chad Slaughter <sla...@nospam.lusars.dot.net> wrote:

> hmmm...pimp my self out for more money, more free time, more arrogence
> and have to work in a cube?

I have more free time than any consultant I know, and I'm certainly more
arrogant than all of you wusses.

> OR get a shitty job, with bad hours, bad
> pay and live in an office? Thats a tough one.

I hardly live in my office, and "bad" doesn't really describe my pay,
either. Granted, I'm not making enough to buy a new Corvette.

Chad Slaughter

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
TREVOR SCHROCK <sch...@umr.edu> wrote:
> Chad Slaughter <sla...@nospam.lusars.dot.net> wrote:
> : John J. Adelsberger III <j...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
> :> <PERSONAL LAUGHTER>
> :> Maybe if most of us had gotten real jobs instead of pimping ourselves out
> :> doing sleazy Java conslutting crap just so we could have nicer cars, most
> :
> : hmmm...pimp my self out for more money, more free time, more arrogence
> : and have to work in a cube? OR get a shitty job, with bad hours, bad

> : pay and live in an office? Thats a tough one.
> :
> : I think I'll get take the cube and go buy my own office. =)

> Hmm. I make plenty of money, have most weekends and evnings free, am as
> arrogant as ever, and lo! an office of my own.

most weekends and evenings? really? well hell. I guess the fact I have
all of my weekends and evenings AND I only work fours days a week, sleep
til noon...

Chad Slaughter

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
John J. Adelsberger III <j...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
> Chad Slaughter <sla...@nospam.lusars.dot.net> wrote:

>> hmmm...pimp my self out for more money, more free time, more arrogence
>> and have to work in a cube?

> I have more free time than any consultant I know, and I'm certainly more

> arrogant than all of you wusses.

well you know me and no you don't.
as if!

>> OR get a shitty job, with bad hours, bad
>> pay and live in an office? Thats a tough one.

> I hardly live in my office, and "bad" doesn't really describe my pay,

so you're only dead when you are in your office? that must be a nice feature.

> either. Granted, I'm not making enough to buy a new Corvette.

why would you ever buy a new corvette? is your penis really that small?

John J. Adelsberger III

Sep 22, 2000, 8:12:42 PM9/22/00
I(jja) wrote:

>> I have more free time than any consultant I know, and I'm certainly more
>> arrogant than all of you wusses.

> as if!

Bah. Your pissant wannabe arrogance schtyle makes me laugh.

> so you're only dead when you are in your office? that must be a nice feature.

A hell of a feature.

>> either. Granted, I'm not making enough to buy a new Corvette.

> why would you ever buy a new corvette? is your penis really that small?

No. I want to put the twin turbos on it and go from zero to sixty in 3.2
seconds. If there were a less penis-enhancing car that would do this, I'd
be all for it, but well... there's not. All those morons in their souped
up mustangs and camaros can only dream of sub 4.0 times to sixty. Even the
130,000 modified mustangs are about 4.2.

And yes, 0-60 IS all that matters except handling, because you are NOT
going to go 150mph on public roads. Well, not more than once anyway.
Of course, you can do this in more or less style, too. Maybe I need a
heavily modded Z8. That could get to be pretty quick... of course, it'd
also cost too much for any two of us to buy.

Mike Hunter

Sep 22, 2000, 10:25:06 PM9/22/00
Steven McColl <smc...@umr.edu> wrote:

> I guess my memories are tainted. I was a chem major for a while and
> we were lucky to have the TAs show up to lecture or lab, let alone be in
> their offices (even during 'office hours'). What were they doing? Who the
> hell knows. Probably distilling alcohol or something...

I've known chem majors: they were making acid.

Mike

Mike Hunter

Sep 22, 2000, 10:25:49 PM9/22/00
TREVOR SCHROCK <sch...@umr.edu> wrote:
> Chad Slaughter <sla...@nospam.lusars.dot.net> wrote:
> : John J. Adelsberger III <j...@wallace.lusars.net> wrote:
> :> <PERSONAL LAUGHTER>
> :> Maybe if most of us had gotten real jobs instead of pimping ourselves out
> :> doing sleazy Java conslutting crap just so we could have nicer cars, most
> :
> : hmmm...pimp my self out for more money, more free time, more arrogence
> : and have to work in a cube? OR get a shitty job, with bad hours, bad

> : pay and live in an office? Thats a tough one.
> :
> : I think I'll get take the cube and go buy my own office. =)

> Hmm. I make plenty of money, have most weekends and evnings free, am as
> arrogant as ever, and lo! an office of my own.

All for the mere price of your soul!

Mike

Chase Watkins

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
John J. Adelsberger III wrote:

> Chad Slaughter <sla...@nospam.lusars.dot.net> wrote:
>
> > The part I find amusing is the high brow meta discussion of blue collar
> > work conditions and pay by white collar[1] workers.
>
> Seeing as I did the work, I think I can talk about what went on.

Same here...

Chase Watkins